(Close Window)
Topic: Conscious Magic Trilogy (Vol 1 thru 3) with Ran Pink and Andrew Gerard
The amazing offer from Ran Pink and Andrew Gerard is now available as a set!
Conscious Magic episodes 1-2-3 are coming in a limited edition beautiful box-set.
Even better, the price is so good it's as if you are buying the first two DVDs and getting the third for free.

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=59580

Best regards,
Titanas
Will Volume 3 be available on its own? I have never seen it advertised before.
I alreqdy bought the first two ones so feel a bit conned now it is free with 1 and 2,whats all that about then and no funny comments this time titanus please mate
[quote]On Jun 5, 2017, Titanas wrote:
The amazing offer from Ran Pink and Andrew Gerard is now available as a set!
Conscious Magic episodes 1-2-3 are coming in a limited edition beautiful box-set.
Even better, the price is so good it's as if you are buying the first two DVDs and getting the third for free.

Titanas: I already have Conscious Magic Vol-1 + Vol-2. I Was not aware there was a Vol-3.

How or where can I purchase Vol-3 on it's own without purchasing the Conscious Magic Trilogy.

Many Thanks

Graham
An amusing note: all those who bought Vol 1 & 2 should qualify for a free Volume 3, as per the ad :D :D

But seriously, how can a trilogy be advertised without offering the 3rd volume in the series?!

At least make both available!!!
For those who have supported this project and already bought Vol 1 & 2 are Penguin giving them Vol 3 for free. Something really screwed up if they don't.
Hi guys,

Conscious Magic Episode 3 is now available to pre-order as well. So now you have the option to buy it individually or buy the entire set.

More info on Episode 3:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=59234

Best regards,
Titanas
Yep, just saw Episode 3 on Penguin at $35.00. Buying the set is basically paying for the first two and getting the third for $5.00. So those of us that supported the project from the beginning will be paying an extra $30.00, not including shipping, over those that didn't support from the beginning. Sorry, I won't be getting the third, nor any additional in the future.

Robert
But isn't this how the marketplace in general typically works?
Other than possibly crowdfunding sites, when do early adopters pay less or even the same?

Products go on sale all the time, or are offered later on as part of a bundle for a lower price. And while it would be nice to know beforehand that this will be the case, rarely does that happen in the real world.
That extra $30.00 gave everyone the opportunity to own the first 2 volumes long before anyone who buys the trilogy.
So while I agree it can be a bummer to those affected, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Ouch, what a rotten way to treat those who supported the project from the start. :(
Settle folks, it's up by itself now.
[quote]On Jun 5, 2017, Robert Sixx wrote:
Yep, just saw Episode 3 on Penguin at $35.00. Buying the set is basically paying for the first two and getting the third for $5.00. So those of us that supported the project from the beginning will be paying an extra $30.00, not including shipping, over those that didn't support from the beginning. Sorry, I won't be getting the third, nor any additional in the future.

Robert [/quote]

That's right. For those who followed and supported from the start are rewarded by being gouged for $105 if they want the 3rd release. Average at best.
Yeah I agree Totaly treating loyal customers like me like rubbish,what a complete joke it all is,i am really anoyed that they did it to us
I've seen somewhere on Andrew's instagram account that they were already filming episode 4 in april, so maybe they'll give that one for free (or with reasonable discount) to the owners of the 3 previous volumes
According to Jheff, the box set comes with a gimmick that is different from what came with the first volume? I wonder if that same gimmick is in Volume 3.
I purchased vol 1 and 2 now they bring out vol 3 at 35.00 and the 3 together 65. You are better to wait one year before you buy any magic products as you will have a offer buy 1 get the other 3 free. Magicians screwed again.
Feel let down completly hope they do some thing about it
Isn't this pretty much standard ?

I don't mean just for magic - but for anything [?]

The box sets come out [usually released with a new episode]

You say you feel let down... were you feeling like that with your purchase before they released the 'cheaper' box set [?]

As I can't see anything that isn't standard pretty much across the board

... oh I wish I hadn't bought each seperate season of x on DVD... and they have now released all the seasons in one box set with the last season... with extras... and it's less than I paid... yadda yadda
I agree with Duster, which is why I wrote something similar a few posts above.
But what I neglected to mention was that a very similar thing happened to me a short while back when the Essential Card Magic Toolbox was released by BBM as a boxed set. I had all but one or two of the DVD's and then here comes the complete set for a much lower price. I ended up buying the box set and selling my individual copies to recoup some of the cost difference. But I never had any bad feelings towards BBM because it's just a part of doing business.

So I can definitely relate to the feelings some have expressed. But still, I think it's just how it goes sometimes.
However, from a PR standpoint in the case of CM, it no doubt would have been better to release the 3rd volume separately and let a little time pass before releasing the trilogy as a set. That is more commonly how it's done and then they would have avoided most of the negative feelings from previous purchasers.
I do not think the issue is with the box set coming at a lower price. I do not mind that. I know this is what a box set essentially is: a way to save on the whole collection.

I think the main issue is releasing the box set which includes all three volumes when volume 3 has not been released. Usually, all volumes are released and shortly after, a full box set (which may include special bonuses) is released. This is not the case here. Volume 3 is released with the box set, and not before that. There is no exclusivity about it. It is not a bonus feature of the box set since it got its own release.

The proper way to handle these kind of things is to have the volume 3 released and shortly after, release a box set of all 3.

Regarding TV seasons on DVD, did anyone ever hear of a DVD box set with all seasons released before the seasons concluded? Or maybe before the last episode even airs? Or they release a box set, and then release the last season on its own? Look at all series and movies, seasons release separately AFTER they are aired. Shortly after the full series conclude (or sometimes in milestone chunks of 3- or 6-season bundles), a box set is there with special feature and less price. In my opinion, THAT is normal practice!

Either way, this is how the magic community works, unfortunately. Volume 1 and 2 came with exclusivity but volume 3 does not. To me, I feel that exclusivity is worth the extra money one pays for early adoption.

@videoman: The Essential Card Magic Toolbox box set released after all DVDs were released and not at the same time of release. That is the proper way to do things. Those who jumped on board early got the privilege of learning, practicing, and eventually using the material for a while. The box set is a bundle deal and should cost less. If that was not the case, then I am misinformed. I simply do not support the idea of releasing a DVD standalone and and as part of a box set at the same time!

tl;dr: The proper way in my opinion was to release Volume 3 (normal price) on its own and in two months or so, release the full box set (at the deal price we see now). Given the work shared on Volumes 1 and 2, I really doubt they will have issues with sales. But hey, this is just my opinion.
I have no sympathy for anyone who bought the first two in the series. You were offered a product for a given price. You and the seller mutually agreed upon the selling price at the time you bought it. You have had the access to the first two DVD's for many months now. You have received what you paid for, access to the effects on the DVD at the agreed upon price for the time period starting right after you received the product. Anyone could have decided to wait and see if they could have gotten a better price at some point it the future. That someone chose to purchase these DVD's when they were released and paid full price was just that, their choice. There was no implied or explicit offer to purchasers to buy any future releases at any kind of discount price.

That the DVD's are now being offered in a box set should have been expected. This has no effect on the price, enjoyment or use that one may have gotten out of the first two DVD's.
The thing is, who knows how many future volumes will come out? Will they do 6, or 8 or 10? So here's the curious question...if Volume 4 comes out as a self contained DVD - will you buy it?
[quote]On Jun 6, 2017, Kaliix wrote:
I have no sympathy for anyone who bought the first two in the series. You were offered a product for a given price. You and the seller mutually agreed upon the selling price at the time you bought it. You have had the access to the first two DVD's for many months now. You have received what you paid for, access to the effects on the DVD at the agreed upon price for the time period starting right after you received the product. Anyone could have decided to wait and see if they could have gotten a better price at some point it the future. That someone chose to purchase these DVD's when they were released and paid full price was just that, their choice. There was no implied or explicit offer to purchasers to buy any future releases at any kind of discount price.

That the DVD's are now being offered in a box set should have been expected. This has no effect on the price, enjoyment or use that one may have gotten out of the first two DVD's. [/quote]

There a creators who offer a 2.0 version of a product for a discount price for people who already bought 1.0...you know why? - it's called customer satisfaction and treatment of your loyal customers!
Once bitten twice shy wont be buying any more of his stuff for a while so hes lost out big time
[quote]On Jun 7, 2017, SimonTheSorcerer wrote:

There a creators who offer a 2.0 version of a product for a discount price for people who already bought 1.0...you know why? - it's called customer satisfaction and treatment of your loyal customers! [/quote]

Most don't

But those who do, are probably happy for the extra sale [for 2.0] when if 1.0 hadn't of been rush released [or at least released with more care] the upgrade wouldn't have been needed

But most 2.0 releases are not sold at a discount

I maganged to buy Re-maxed a week before a new [improved 2.0 version] came out... that wasn't just better, it was also cheaper

D'oh

This will always happen

The people who come in late, get a better deal [product sometimes, but always on price]

The early adopters get the product before others [at a premium, and without always knowing if it's a good product - or even in it's final/best version]
Never no mention of multiple DVD releases. Kaliix if some releases a DVD how do you tell if their is a Boxed set going to be released after a year. I have purchased magic books and sometimes 3 years later volume 2 comes along with a deal for both.

If you have a method of seeing into the future please share.
Kalixx doesn't get it because didn't bought them in the first place like me
No

You guys don't get it

It's not about seeing into the future

It's a simple choice with anything you buy... do you want it at the price it is [?]

If you do... buy it

But many items will be cheaper in the future

Many items will have 2.0, or a 2nd/3rd part released [and they will be cheaper as a bundle]

But that never matters... as long as you are always happy with the price you paid for something [at the time]

I bought re-max at a price I was happy to buy it for - then an improved/cheaper version came out less than 14 days later

But I wasn't angry/upset - as I bought the product [at the time] for the price I was happy with.

Anyway Karl it doesn't effect you, as you don't use your own money, you just use the 60k a year the government gives you [from the NHS looking after old lady funds] to buy your magic toys with

all said in fun

x
Out of order that mate
The Duster. Comments like that to Karl over a bloody DVD shows your complete state of intelligence. NONE. The NHS has nothing to do about the topic and I hope you can post a apology.
Yawn

No - why would I apologise

It was clearly 'all said in fun'
[quote]On Jun 8, 2017, King14 wrote:
The Duster. Comments like that to Karl over a bloody DVD shows your complete state of intelligence. NONE. The NHS has nothing to do about the topic and I hope you can post a apology. [/quote]
Ignore him King14. The Duster, Karl M, Jack Magic and johndevacmaker are all the same person
It seems there was a bit of miscommunication and thus most of this fuss is somewhat moot. Both the Conscious Magic trilogy and the separate #3 will be released at the same time, which is this Monday. I just got my shipment of both shipped to me and I should have them on the release date. The only bit of contention, if you see it as such, would be that in buying the Trilogy you get a cheaper price, which is not an unusual marketing ploy, plus you get a bonus gimmick (it's a playing card gimmick and not the one found in the limited edition of #1). Knowing what the bonus gimmick is, I agree that the gimmick should have been in all #3s and that the true bonus should only be the reduced price for buying all three, but the gimmick's exception is far from being a deal-breaker.

So if you order #3 from YFD, you should get it at the same time that those who ordered the Trilogy get theirs.

- Jheff
www.MarketplaceoftheMind.com
Can anyone tell without exposing what gimmick is for?

I can't read anywhere that vol1 came with one... weird but what are the differences?

Thanks
For all it's worth, the content on the first two volumes were stellar, and I had the opportunity to perform it on a regular basis at a wide variety of environments: both paid gigs and casual settings, included. For those wondering how strong, practical, and commercial the material is, I'm willing to say that there is very little filler on either installment, and I personally feel like the DVDs paid for themselves many times over in tips, drinks, and repeat bookings. In the grand scheme of things, I think that $35.00/volume is a steal for the quality of the content you're getting from two thoughtful performers in the industry.

I won't mind paying full price for volume 3 by itself. As I'm sure we all know, we could spend (and probably have spent) much more on much less than what we're getting. I haven't been disappointed by Conscious Magic yet.

RS.
LSeeYou,

The first volume of Conscious Magic came with a package of Mesika's Loops. The box set may come with a different brand of elastic bands, because I've heard of many inconsistencies regarding Mesika's product. I wouldn't be surprised if they included Eddie Raymond's bands as the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive for his work. This is speculation, because I don't own the third volume of Conscious Magic yet and I actually prefer to tie my own loops. Hope this gives a little more insight/information, regardless...

RS
As per Jheff's comment, the gimmick in the box set is card-based, not loops. I do not think loops are part of the box set.

It is disappointing that they are not including the card-based gimmick with the standalone Volume 3. I hope it is easy to source for international customers!
@Raymond Thanks, deeply appreciated!

Now makes sense they included for the Bonus effect.

Btw what thread do you use? I tie EVE thread but always looking for more invisible thread... any tip? :)

Very curious about vol3 * enjoyed vol1&2 very much!

All the best!
[quote]On Jun 10, 2017, ash2arani wrote:
As per Jheff's comment, the gimmick in the box set is card-based, not loops. I do not think loops are part of the box set.[/quote]
I saw Ran yesterday and he clarified a few things. Apparently, there was much confusion in the promotion of this release by Murphy's. So, to set the record straight, both the boxed set and vol.3 will be out at the same time, which is today. All copies of vol.3 will indeed include the card-based gimmick referenced above. It will NOT be exclusive to the boxed set. So, that means that the advantage of buying the box set is merely the price and the packaging. The disadvantage is that the box set will have the regular edition of vol.1 and not the limited edition (which some dealers may still have available) which contains the package of Loops. But it's still actually cheaper to buy the box set and a package of Loops, then to buy the three individually. Finally, Ran confirmed that there are definitely more volumes of this in the works.

I still can't comment critically on the quality of the material on the DVD, nor can I confirm what Ran told me, as I won't be getting my stock until later today. But if any of what Ran has told me is incorrect I'll let you know (unless someone beats me to that info first).

- Jheff
www.MarketplaceoftheMind.com
Thanks Jheff for the clarification. I think all is clear now :)
[quote]On Jun 8, 2017, Fatgumbo wrote:

Ignore him King14. The Duster, Karl M, Jack Magic and johndevacmaker are all the same person [/quote]

LMFAO
I actually just found the time to watch the trailer for Episode 3, and I'm really looking forward to the release. Regarding the card gimmick for STFU, I'm fairly positive this is a gaff that's already in many people's arsenals and/or drawers, but I enjoy seeing the versatility and boldness of its use in performance. I'm curious to see if they're merely offering just the playing card or an actual means to conveniently make one as I imagine the gaff will wear with time and use. I love the simplicity of the methods that Ran and Gerard share; they've really inspired me to view the magic I perform from a different perspective and streamline what I do.

On a side note, I'm also somewhat sad to see quiet gems like Accuracy and White Room re-released to the mainstream community in this project; they were staples I really enjoyed and selfishly kept to myself for years. That said, it's fun to see these actually performed by their creators and seeing their nuances live. Just received notice that my copy of Episode 3 shipped yesterday; can't wait to watch it and study the material.

RS.
Hey all,

Just finished with CM3, and am an owner of CM1 and 2. Thought I'd drop by with a review of my thoughts on part 3's material.

Accuracy - Andrew's take on being able to determine which side of a coin is facing up when spun on a table, which bill the participant has in their hands, and which bill the participant is sitting on, all while he is completely blindfolded by another person and facing away from the participant.

This is probably my favorite effect of this DVD, maybe not the full trilogy though. First off, this is HIGHLY impromptu, won't say it is 100%, but you need what, 2 minutes of prep to prepare something and you're set to perform it anytime (but not really anywhere, will explain). Also, you can perform this without actually seeing anything, so no you're not using the ol' blindfold p**k, your head can be facing away from the participant when performing this. The effect is as good as it sounds, definitely a magician fooler, and definitely something that you're going to immediately want to try and play around with. It really is as beautiful as it is simplistic.

The only downside to this is that you cannot really perform this in all situations as 1, you require a table, and 2, you require another sense that may be easily affected by the environment you're in. But, then again, the whole point of this project is to allow people to find effects that best suit their personalities and the environments that they enjoy performing in.

STFU - A collaborative take on a innovative use of an old gimmick. Essentially you invite someone to take a card, and take a photo of them holding the card, only to have it returned to the deck, completely and cleanly vanish from the deck (they can spread and check), and have it appear in an impossible location. (I personally preferred Ran's handling where you hand them a card to hide at the start and the card they see later actually appears to be that card.)

The effect was decent, I don't think this is a new application of the gimmick, but Andrew and Ran definitely made me think "wow I guess I need to revisit the possibilities of this one gimmick." They spent a great deal of time just sharing ideas and thoughts on presentations and handlings, and even jammed for a bit providing some more fresh and raw ideas. I liked it, but I don't know if I'll do it. It is a very subtle effect (similar to many things put on this project), but I won't say it isn't strong. You can accomplish a lot with this one gimmick, and it can easily hide inside any deck of cards. It did make me think a lot about James' Brown's cerebral steal, and I think it would be a fantastic way to combine Jame's presentation to this gimmick.

Final words: definitely a great watch, maybe not for everyone, still a great routine, unfortunate you only get 1 gimmick.

The formula - a spectator generates a card and a number in their minds, then they deal to their number and their card is exactly at their number (AND THE CARDS CAN BE SHUFFLED!) But wait, you then punch them in the face by revealing the rest of the cards are blank. BUT WAIT, you also reveal that their card is blank!

Mmmhhhhhh where to begin, I'm not so sure on this one, I feel like this would be very controversial. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good effect, I just don't think I would perform it, ever. What I really don't like is the final reveal, it's like doing a colossal blizzard, or stephen bargatze's I hate card tricks, without any actual good kicker. In my opinion both of those effects are stronger because it ends on the impossibility that they could not have picked another card, even though they just THOUGHT of the card! For this effect, instead of feeling that way, it really felt like it was just a simple figuring out of someone's card, but also, hey look these cards are blank. I think for the process, time, and pocket space this routine requires, I would never picked this over the previous two effects I just mentioned.

The pros to this: no sleights, no memory work, extremely easy to do, multiple phases that kind of leave your participant completely unable to trace the effect backwards. Cons: I feel like the effect is not that difficult to figure out, as soon as I saw the first half I immediately knew what was going on, and although I am a magician I feel like this method would not be entirely difficult to debunk if one put a slight amount of effort towards it.

Lastly, Ran Pink's White Room - You really push your participant's imagination and allow them to experience a whole lot though only their mind and your voice, while also allowing them to land on a playing card with you can easily devise within a few seconds.

I'm going to skip out on the patter and experience of the effect because I think that's what Ran and Andrew are trying to provide here. Don't get me wrong though, the effect is still great! In fact I can't wait to try it, but really the presentation and patter are so interactive and entertaining I've been spending a lot of time myself just pretending I'm the participant to allow myself to experience it. Essentially this is a mind reading effect, you devise a playing card, but no playing cards are ever used. The method of divination is absolutely clever, not something I've come across before, definitely fooling, but also rather ballsy and requires a great deal of confidence in performing. I like this, there isn't really much more to say about it, it's a completely impromptu effect, it's just a matter of whether or not the presentation suits you.

Overall, I give the 3rd DVD a 8/10.

I think all of their DVD's are fun to watch, and I think you'll definitely be able to take something away from this DVD whether it's a trick, routine, concept, gimmick, or presentation.
Any idea where replacement gimmicks can be purchased.
My STFU gimmick has torn :(
Question, Are the CM folks considering refills for the STFU routine on Volume3?

Thanks,

~allen
You can obtain them from several gaff decks. Although the difference in those is that the values are often the same but the suits are different (with a court card instead of a spot one). Accomplishes the same thing. Those are easier to find than what came with CM3.