(Close Window)
Topic: Mysteries of Uri Geller
Hi guys,

Just wondering, how many people in the world today can pull miracles like this besides Uri Geller? From training CIA Agents on remote viewing to moving a football from a flying helicopter around the famous Wembley stadium, this guy is phenomenal! He has done tons of other feats and made it big. Yet I don't understand why many magicians/mentalists are unhappy with him. I guess envy is a human instinct! Mentalism owes him a lot, as he did make it popular. Credit must be given to him for becoming a legend.

Found this clip, quite remarkable I must admit:

https://vimeo.com/221014781

What do you think guys??
One person's ethical line is different from another's. Randi seems to hate anyone who claims to be legit psychic, and a lot of people agree with his stance.

I love that Geller was able to take spoon bending and a couple of other minor feats and turn them into a major career. That's inspirational.

However, apparently there were times he took money for "helping" to find missing persons and plenty of people find that to be rather distasteful. That would be a reason people would be unhappy with him.

I remember seeing him on TV as a kid and being amazed that he could make a seed sprout in his hands. That one stuck with me a whole lot more than the bent spoon.

-Patrick
Back in that time he was everywhere, TV, newspapers, magazines, you couldn't not know who he was. Like him or hate him he built an incredible career.
Pablo Escobar and Ted Bundy did an incredible career too... Geller's career doesn't justify to swindle people.
Luccky,

If you think Pablo Escobar and Ted B. had a 'career', you seriously need to Google : Uri Geller.

Not sure where you are getting articles that he 'swindles' people, but good to check 'em out!
[quote]On Jun 11, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:
...[Randi seems to hate anyone who claims to be legit psychic]...

-Patrick [/quote]

Randi, and others ( I include myself) equate modern day psychics to the Victorian parasites who preyed on the bereaved and the vulnerable. The term "legit psychic" is an oxymoron and anybody who contributed to Geller's millions after seeing the cringeworthy and totally embarrassing exposure on the Johnny Carson show is minus the 'oxy'.

If Geller is legit he could have taken Randi's million dollars, they dislike each other intensely so why not?

I think we all know the answer.
Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But it might be wise to actually read the published research to become better informed.
I said anyone who claims to be a legit psychic. There is enough body of evidence for the existence of psi that dismissing it out of hand is just as much evidence of bias as accepting a person's claims without proper testing.

As far as it goes, I truly admire Geller's ability to stay in character for a lifetime. He took a few effects and turned them into a career for himself, studies by scientists, and a very high-profile career for a magician turned arch-skeptic. Not many others can claim as much.

He also changed the public perception of psychic abilities, which is amazing on its own.

Patrick
[quote]On Jun 16, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:
I said anyone who claims to be a legit psychic. There is enough body of evidence for the existence of psi that dismissing it out of hand is just as much evidence of bias as accepting a person's claims without proper testing.

As far as it goes, I truly admire Geller's ability to stay in character for a lifetime. He took a few effects and turned them into a career for himself, studies by scientists, and a very high-profile career for a magician turned arch-skeptic. Not many others can claim as much.

He also changed the public perception of psychic abilities, which is amazing on its own.

Patrick [/quote]

and yet (unless I am ill informed) Randi's $million remains unclaimed?????
Uri Geller doesn't need $1 million
[quote]On Jun 16, 2017, Jerskin wrote:
Uri Geller doesn't need $1 million [/quote]

..the comment is obvious and facile.
At the same point even at "odds" with one another Randi and Uri helped each others career.
My understanding is that the million is no longer being offered. But so what? Being unable to convince a group of skeptics of something they have decided already does not exist is not very surprising.

-Patrick
[quote]On Jun 16, 2017, art85y wrote:

Patrick [/quote]

and yet (unless I am ill informed) Randi's $million remains unclaimed????? [/quote]

Come on guys, a million is pocket change to Geller..He doesn't need it. Between, you should do some research on Randi's bogus operation where he sets impossible conditions in order to get the dough. And, don't forget that Randi kept the $1mil untouched in a FIXED DEPOSIT account. Randi can live of the interest with that alone! So, who's real now?
Magicman700[/quote]

...where he sets impossible conditions... [/quote]

The conditions are only impossible because you need true paranormal abilities to satisfy them. Isn't that the idea of laboratory conditions? To make it impossible for the fakers (And Gellers).
My understanding is that the million is no longer being offered. But so what? Being unable to convince a group of skeptics of something they have decided already does not exist is not very surprising.

-Patrick [/quote]

All scientific enquiry should be from a skeptical standpoint, having pre-conceived notions or bias is bad science...

...being a skeptic does not render you incapable of, or unwilling to, accept convincing evidence.
[quote] magicman700 wrote:

Come on guys, a million is pocket change to Geller..He doesn't need it. Between, you should do some research on Randi's bogus operation where he sets impossible conditions in order to get the dough. And, don't forget that Randi kept the $1mil untouched in a FIXED DEPOSIT account. Randi can live of the interest with that alone! So, who's real now? [/quote]

'pocket change or not if he could pass the challenge he would milk the publicity and multiply the £million dollars again many times over'
If ANY type of psychic "powers" etc. are real, and all one does is bend frigg'n spoons, they are defacto unethical and should be called out.
[quote]On Jun 18, 2017, MultiSlacker wrote:
If ANY type of psychic "powers" etc. are real, and all one does is bend frigg'n spoons, they are defacto unethical and should be called out. [/quote]

I could not agree more.
If Randy had a big red button with the inscription "Erase all psychics from this reality or history" he would never have pressed it. Because right after that he will become an ordinary magician. It think your "war" is meaningless.
"WAR"? LOL
I've just googled Geller's net worth and it's 10 million. So I don't think 1 million is pocket change for him. Besides that I don't even know why we are discussing if he has psychic powers or not, when we all know that supernatural powers DON'T EXIST
I don't think we [i]all[/i] know that
In my opinion Uri Geller is a character, and a darn clever one. Of course he wouldn't accept Randi's challange, Geller knows he doesn't have real powers. Where Geller's genius lies is in his ability to create such a compelling character.
He has created some of the most watched mentalism performances of all time and brought the art into the public eye like never before, for that we should all be grateful to him. Whether you like him or not on a personal level is up to you, but I would be surprised if anyone here would you turn down the opportunity to meet Geller in person.
[quote]On Jul 20, 2017, TomasKancyper wrote:
I've just googled Geller's net worth and it's 10 million. So I don't think 1 million is pocket change for him. Besides that I don't even know why we are discussing if he has psychic powers or not, when we all know that supernatural powers DON'T EXIST [/quote]

[quote]On Jul 20, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
I don't think we [i]all[/i] know that [/quote]

Perhaps we don't all "know it" but without evidence it's the intelligent side of the fence to sit on.
If you have no experience with something, it is certainly wise to be skeptical. If you have experience you should have informed opinions. If encounter contradictory opinions, remember that everyone has their own unique experiences and that yours don't trump others or vice versa. The best we have is consensus and even in science there are conflicts in consensus.
My point was just that though the mystery arts attract a fair share of very skeptical people, there are definitely others here who have varying degrees of interest in the possibility of some type of genuine psychic phenomenon.
The problem with the skeptical community is the point mentioned earlier, they start with the bias it's all false because they can duplicate it with trickery.

I'm not claiming anything is real or not, but the proof of whether something is possible or not was never whether someone won Randi's million dollars. That outcome was the marketing pitch of Randi and his JREF.

A true skeptic would acknowledge the possibility and only test to discern trickery. Randi always claimed trickery and spent his time trying to show everyone was a fraud.

Regardless of anyone's personal belief Geller did open up attention and vistas for magicians and mentalists. And his true genius was always operating as 'less is more'.

Like him, don't like him, but he wasn't cheating anyone any more than Joseph Dunninger who claimed he could read thoughts. Dunninger's public and private persona had to live up to his claims.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Well said, thanks Solarzar.
Today a funny thought occurred to me:
If Randi tells you "You're a telepath only if you pass my test, according to my conditions and my rules," then this is normal.
If you tell Randi "I'm a telepath if I pass my test, according to my conditions and my rules," then you're a fraud.
To me Uri Geller is an unforgettable character whose name is synonymous with the very word 'Psychic'. Whether fraudulently or not, he certainly entertained us, and a large percentage of our nation [UK] would tune in to watch his TV appearances with broken clocks, watches, even fridges at the ready! He was quite loved really. He has the perfect looks and persona for the lifelong role he has assumed, and could be considered as the 'Consummate Modern Day Psychic' Love him or hate him, he has achieved some modicum of greatness.
Will.
[quote]On Jul 29, 2017, Raum wrote:
Today a funny thought occurred to me:
If Randi tells you "You're a telepath only if you pass my test, according to my conditions and my rules," then this is normal.
If you tell Randi "I'm a telepath if I pass my test, according to my conditions and my rules," then you're a fraud. [/quote]

Minor point not HIS conditions and rules.Mutually agreed.Nor is it(was) his million to the poster before who claimed it was.
I have seen his "ACT" in person, his is a fake.
Hmmm. Uri Gellar has always conflicted me. On one hand, I do dislike people claiming to be legit psychic, yet I am an entertainer by trade, and respect that there are many out there (not just in magic) who live their gimmick. Part of me says 'well you're a bit of a fool if you take his claims seriously in the first place' and that you have to have mad respect for a guy who created so much controversy by simply benging spoons and duplicating some drawings. But the other side of my brain respects that there are people out there who are naturally opposed to any kind of fraud. But then I wonder what those kind of people are doing dabbling in the world of magic and mentalism in the first place as literally everyone from these disciplines are technically fraudsters and swindlers of the highest order. No one is 'legit' no matter how much they believe it, otherwise as many have pointed out the Randi Challenge would have been won by now.

Personally I'm of the age where I'd actually like to see more fun gimmicks like Gellars being employed, as much as it would anger certain others. Haha!
One reason the MDC may not have been won may be simple statistics. Assume perhaps 3 percent of a population has a specific ability, like being psychic or an excellent basketball player. This is in line with statistical data in social sciences experiments, so it provides a reasonable estimate. Given that, it may be that no one who has ever applied happened to have had psychic ability. Of course this doesn't mean no one does. And it suggests that the assumption that no one is psychic because no one has won the MDC may be false.