(Close Window)
Topic: China Has Stepped up Their Game Plan
Message: Posted by: Mad Jake (Jun 10, 2017 10:54PM)
China has stepped up their game. Copy of new effects are coming out within weeks of the originals. The Gift in Gold is 12.96 with free shipping from Hong Kong. The really bad part about it, besides it being a rip off is that it's a GOOD Rip off. I don't know how they are doing it, but the quality of the copies are as just as good as the original. The one person who took a real hit was Joe Poper, now the Strong Box, Folding Key aren't really original ideas, they date back to the early 70's, I was able to trace something similar to the Strong box from Tannen's in 1971 that uses the same concept. The folding key, that's been around just as long. The really bad thing now is they are copying original routine books included with their version of the props, blatant copyright fraud.

Jake Jr.
Message: Posted by: Tom Cutts (Jun 11, 2017 01:25PM)
It is EXTREMELY possible that China made the originals of The Gift. This is what happens when you use Chinese manufacturing. They will run more than your contract run and sell them off. I have personally been privy to this happening. The big guys know it and just chalk it up to a price of doing business.
Message: Posted by: Mad Jake (Jun 12, 2017 03:25PM)
Dang, OUCH.
Message: Posted by: paul180 (Sep 14, 2017 07:32PM)
[quote]On Jun 10, 2017, Mad Jake wrote:
China has stepped up their game. Copy of new effects are coming out within weeks of the originals. The Gift in Gold is 12.96 with free shipping from Hong Kong. The really bad part about it, besides it being a rip off is that it's a GOOD Rip off. I don't know how they are doing it, but the quality of the copies are as just as good as the original. The one person who took a real hit was Joe Poper, now the Strong Box, Folding Key aren't really original ideas, they date back to the early 70's, I was able to trace something similar to the Strong box from Tannen's in 1971 that uses the same concept. The folding key, that's been around just as long. The really bad thing now is they are copying original routine books included with their version of the props, blatant copyright fraud.

Jake Jr. [/quote]

I take it you know this because you bought the knock off?
Message: Posted by: Mad Jake (Sep 28, 2017 02:05AM)
No, not actually bought it. I saw one and you can tell a slight difference but they are using the packaging and instructions too. I have the original Gold Gift. I have a lot of electronics work done in China and they also sent me some new servo's. It wasn't till I went to program the servo that I noticed that too was a copy., the sad part was it was better than the original manufacturer. My father and I have been in magic for over 30 years together and I've seen a lot., no no PAUL I DID NOT BUY The KNOCK OFF.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 30, 2017 10:01AM)
There's been some discussion of this ...
https://www.amazon.com/Coming-China-Wars-Revised-Expanded/dp/0132359820/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1506783309&sr=1-7
Message: Posted by: Mad Jake (Oct 6, 2017 02:15AM)
Jonathan,
thank you for the link, I just bought the book. This should make for an interesting read. I noticed on ebay that there are some more Porper items coming out and they are including the original routines with them, they think by spelling Joe's last name wrong
it changes things. Well it kind of does, not only is it copyright infringement now it is also plagiarism. Correct me if I'm wrong Johnathan.

Jake Jr.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 26, 2017 08:40PM)
Somehow the "right to make copies" and "copyright" don't seem to be translating too well there. I found a bad copy of Platt's Blackout coin item.

Lowered production costs are just part of the "China price".

I wish they'd direct their efforts as locally relevant magic.

Someone there's offering gold foil/paper banknotes - wonder how they are for money magic.
Message: Posted by: Mad Jake (Oct 30, 2017 12:45PM)
I have quite a few Chu Magic effects from when I was younger. They made good effects and it was suited to their country of origin. Did they too fall victim of the cheap magic that was starting to show up.
I'll have to give China this much, their quality is better than India. Back when India was having all those mudslides I never wished harm on anyone but certainly wished it would take out some of their
magic factories. Gold foil bank notes LOL, that's like drawing a bill on gold leafing..
Message: Posted by: magicmind (Jan 4, 2018 01:39PM)
There is a guy on FaceBook that sells these Chinese knock-offs. He advertises them as the actual effect, using the write up and creators name. When you receive the item he says different and the sales ad is gone. I had screen shots and he offered to let me ship it back and refund my money.
Message: Posted by: Joshua Barrett (Jan 10, 2018 05:27PM)
The guys from utah?
Message: Posted by: debjit (Aug 22, 2018 05:33AM)
My new product ended up in Chinese sites in 2 days! :/
Message: Posted by: EZrhythm (Sep 21, 2018 09:44PM)
[quote]On Jun 11, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
It is EXTREMELY possible that China made the originals of The Gift. This is what happens when you use Chinese manufacturing. They will run more than your contract run and sell them off. I have personally been privy to this happening. The big guys know it and just chalk it up to a price of doing business. [/quote]

This is absolutely happening and Chinese magic sites are having their inventory provided with these products.
Message: Posted by: Deckstacker (May 14, 2019 06:07AM)
Debjit: I just checked and you are right, your product offered on Penguin Magic for $9.95 is listed on one of the Chinese websites currently for $2.99. From this I can only conclude that it must be an excellent product, otherwise the pirate site would probably be charging $.99 by now. (sigh) I continually puzzle over how quickly they manage to acquire products such as yours, also how blatantly they reproduce all the exact same ad copy as the legitimate site(s). I've reported such transgressions to the owners of the legit sites from time to time and have received thank-you messages in return. However, while it seems that they are well aware of the situation, they are powerless to put a stop to it. Tsk! Sadly, the elephant in the room here must be that such piracy is highly profitable, else why would they persist in doing it?
Message: Posted by: debjit (May 14, 2019 09:41AM)
[quote]On May 14, 2019, Deckstacker wrote:
Debjit: I just checked and you are right, your product offered on Penguin Magic for $9.95 is listed on one of the Chinese websites currently for $2.99. From this I can only conclude that it must be an excellent product, otherwise the pirate site would probably be charging $.99 by now. (sigh) I continually puzzle over how quickly they manage to acquire products such as yours, also how blatantly they reproduce all the exact same ad copy as the legitimate site(s). I've reported such transgressions to the owners of the legit sites from time to time and have received thank-you messages in return. However, while it seems that they are well aware of the situation, they are powerless to put a stop to it. Tsk! Sadly, the elephant in the room here must be that such piracy is highly profitable, else why would they persist in doing it? [/quote]

Haha yeah, them charging $3 is kind of a compliment then :P I've reported the sites myself but I've come to the conclusion that the Chinese sites can't be taken down. And a lot of people do buy from these sites... I have a Facebook group for my effect and I get a lot of requests from these pirates to accept them into my group lol.
Message: Posted by: Deckstacker (May 14, 2019 10:53AM)
As I have observed elsewhere on the Café, there are also semi-hidden areas on the Internet where huge amounts of copyrighted material are posted merely for the bragging rights to having done so--no profit motive whatsoever. Practically all the major works of Gardner, Scarne, Lorayne, Fulves, Hugard, Tamariz, and many 100's of others sit on Usenet servers free for the downloading by anyone who knows how. The posters of this material do not appear to be exclusively Chinese or even Asian for that matter.
Message: Posted by: mantel (May 14, 2019 10:21PM)
It's piracy for all the Magicians you listed except for Hugard as his copyrights have expired. Which means they're in the public domain.
Message: Posted by: Deckstacker (May 14, 2019 11:38PM)
Mantel: Thanks, guess I should have known that. There are literally hundreds of names I might have mentioned; I was just listing a few I figured everyone would recognize. There are also magazines like Center Tear, Genii, Reel Magic et al. plus many, many books and individual tricks in PDF format by authors such as Lesley, Burger, Osborne, Garcia, Aronson, Tarbell, Slydini and others. Who uploads all this material? I have no idea, as the posters all use pseudonyms from bogus sites/domains like "nowhere.com."