(Close Window)
Topic: David Parr on Penn & Teller: Fool Us
Hey, folks. I was holding off on announcing this until the show had an air date, and now it does. My appearance on Penn & Teller: Fool Us is scheduled for Thursday, August 10 on The CW network! My skills will be put to the test in an uncanny coincidence type of effect. Will I fool the dynamic duo? Find out on August 10!
Thanks for the added info, I don't regularly watch, and was wondering where/when to tune in.

Hope you had a blast!
Glad to help, Yogi! Yeah, it was definitely a fun but surreal experience.
David, I would love to have you describe the experience for us. Leave out anything that we will see when we watch, of course, but please tell us about what the whole thing was like for you. I delight in vicarious thrills that come from working tales on this board.

Patrick
Well, Mr. Woolery, I would describe it as a whirlwind of activity followed by an exercise in waiting patiently. Day one, on-camera rehearsal. This is a videoed run-through of the piece, with John Thompson and Mike Close watching every move. There's lots of practical discussion about what size table I need and what color the tablecloth should be. Several options are tried and they finally settle on gray. Run-through goes smoothly. Mike suggests a very subtle change in my handling, helpful for on camera. No notes from John (!), who instead says "I hear you have a good handling of the card in wallet..." I get his email address and use my phone to send the digital edition of Brain Food to him on my way over to do the bio interview. This recorded interview will be the basis for the bio segment that is shown in the episode. Rick Manfredi does the interview, which goes great, and he says that he has a fun plan for shooting some visual sequences to intercut with the bio. We spend the rest of the afternoon with the camera crew in a little bookstore that has a very friendly and accommodating staff. Day two, onstage run-through. Arriving at the stage of the Penn & Teller Theater, I notice that the director has chosen a larger table, and the tablecloth is now black. But just before the run-through, he asks the crew to change it to gray. After viewing that on camera, he asks for a burgundy-colored tablecloth. That seems to be the final choice. We block out my entrance, the transition from the performance to the post interview, and my exit. Then we run through the whole thing with a stand-in for the host of the show. It goes fine. Later that day, the theater will be filled with people for the live shoot of the show, and I'll be in a holding area beneath the stage, listening to the distant sound of the crowd applauding or cheering while the six-hour shoot slooooooowly ticks toward my time onstage.
Thank you for that description, David. Intriguing story, to be sure.

I look forward to watching your performance!

Patrick
Congratulations, David! Looking forward to seeing it. Your spot airs on my birthday. Is that an uncanny coincidence, or what? ;)
Thanks, Curt! Another uncanny coincidence: your name spelled backward is erimretlawtruc. What are the odds of that? ;) Also: happy birthday! (eventually) :)
[quote]Another uncanny coincidence: your name spelled backward is erimretlawtruc. What are the odds of that?[/quote]

I know, right??? The stars and the moon have aligned...
[quote]On Jun 21, 2017, CurtWaltermire wrote:

I know, right??? The stars and the moon have aligned... [/quote]

The moon is in the seventh house... :)
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxSCAalsBE
Let the sun shine...
Nifty mention in the Chicago Tribune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/ct-magician-david-parr-penn-teller-fool-us-20170707-story.html
Is there a link to watch it live online when it is aired?
Toniyammine, I don't think the show will stream live on the web. I assume that after it airs, maybe the following day, the episode will be available to watch on the CW app.
Looking forward to seeing the episode, congrats.
6 hour shoot? good grief!
Hey, everybuddy: We're having a viewing party for my appearance on Penn & Teller: Fool Us! If you're in Chicago on Friday, August 11, drop by the Greenhouse Theater Center to watch it on the big screen and hang out with us folks from The Magic Cabaret. Free admission! Festivities commence at 8pm. Doors open at 7:30. Hope to see you there!

[img]http://www.davidparr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/DPartay2.jpg[/img]

Greenhouse Theater Center: 2257 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, Illinois
(773) 404-7336
David,

I'm marking my calendar.
I really enjoy your routines.

Mark P
Thanks, Marqus!
Saw your show in Chicago. Looking forward to P&T.
[quote]On Jul 14, 2017, dooblehorn wrote:
6 hour shoot? good grief! [/quote]

I remember being at a taping of a magic show in LA a few years ago. I think it was for a show outside of this country. Took three hours for a 40-minute show. Was interesting to see them repeat tricks.
Thanks, philraso! The shoot for Fool Us was mostly waiting around in the holding area beneath the stage, as each act had to set up and then strike, the stage had to be cleared and reset. There was no time for retakes, as far as I could tell. There were eight acts recording that day.
Fantastic! Thanks for keeping us up to date David. I can't wait to see it.

Will
I hope you enjoy the show, willmagicman!
Please give us a youtube link as soon as it is out.
I certainly will, toniyammine
[quote]On Aug 2, 2017, David Parr wrote:
I hope you enjoy the show, willmagicman! [/quote]

David, I just know I'm going to enjoy it. I'm very excited about it. You sir, must have nerves of steel. I remember how badly my nerves let me down when I auditioned for a British TV show called 'Opportunity Knocks' hosted by 'Hughie Green' [Canadian Actor/show host]
It was back in 77/78. It was just me with my acoustic guitar. There were about 400 auditionees [for want of a better word] there that day, many of whom were Magicians/Jugglers/fire eaters/singers/instrumentalists etc etc, you name it and they were there. They were all rehearsing at the same time in one huge room.What a cacophony! We were all given a card with a number on, and when your number was called you had to make your way to the stage area. Silence would be called for when an act was actually performing on the stage. I made the mistake of taking a Valium that my girlfriend gave me to calm me down, I was so nervous. There I was on this huge stage surrounded by those big old fashioned TV cameras, and there were sound engineers and guys adjusting the mic stands around me and my guitar, and then silence was called for and that was my cue to begin. I was trembling so much I could hardly hold the guitar let alone play it. I tried to get something going, but unfortunately I forgot how the song went, and I couldn't even remember the words .... and here's the thing ... It was my own song that I had written! Needless to say .. I failed miserably, and I was so glad to get out of there.
The upshot of it all David is that I totally appreciate what you have done. It takes a special kind of person to go on a show like Fool Us, and I have nothing but admiration for you. I hope you have a wonderful, successful, and enduring career.

Will.
Crikey, willmagicman, that's a harrowing story. In comparison, my experience with Fool Us was a stroll through the park on a pleasant summer day. In any case, I appreciate your very kind words. Thank you.
What could this episode title be alluding to...?

PENN & TELLER: FOOL US - Season 4, Episode 5 (Air Date: 08.10.17) "Does This Trick Ring a Bell?"

[img]http://www.davidparr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/FoolUs.png[/img]
Well done David. I hope Eugene was able to see this piece. Hope to go by the Egypian museum Berlin next week.. Thank you

Robert
Very nice!
Nice job David. You fooled 'em!! And they titled the episode after your effect. Fantastic.
Hey, no spoilers! Still hasn't aired on the west coast!
Absolutely delightful! :D
Thanks, folks! Glad you enjoyed it!
Congrats David
I loved the act and the effect as well.
Todd
Congratulations and a host of huzzahs, David. Your routine was beautiful, flawless, confounding, pure and bereft of any visible subterfuge. This is what magic should look like. Good for you, good for the profession. A memorable performance -- and oh, also, you did a dandy trick! :bikes:
Congratulations Mr.David!

I knew that you would cheat them! :applause: :bikes:
Brilliant performance, David. One of the best effects I have seen on the show in terms of simplicity, elegance and pure class.

Rex
Thank you! It's nice to know that folks appreciate the details!

If anyone is planning a visit to the Windy City in the near future, drop by The Magic Cabaret to see me perform this effect in person!
Really enjoyed that David :bg:
Congratulations David.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyWw3gA0Xns
Wonderful performance, David. It's so nice (and rare) to see magicians who really put thought into their performance, rather than just the trick.
Awesome job!! Congratulations!!
Congrats on fooling Penn and Teller! It was a great performance.

I hope we can make it to Chicago one of these days to see you in person...
That was good fun to watch David! Congratulations :D
Thank you! And here's a link to a better quality clip: https://youtu.be/em7zoY7mMg8
Nicely done! Kudos.
That was one of the more fun, entertaining and fooling routines I have seen on that show in a very long time. I truly enjoyed that David. Kudos!
Thanks! I was so surprised that P&T didn't even have a working theory. But what a nice surprise!
~APPLAUSE~
Was enjoyable and entertaining. Thank you
[quote]On Aug 11, 2017, David Parr wrote:
Thanks! I was so surprised that P&T didn't even have a working theory. But what a nice surprise! [/quote]

They only have a moment to think about it. Plus... it is classic principles like you used that usually trip them up, especially if layered well enough, as you so expertly did. I've never seen that principle used in that manner before. Again, KUDOS! Well Done!
Wonderful performance! Thank you for sharing.
I really enjoyed that. Well done!
[quote]On Aug 11, 2017, MichaelCGM wrote:
[quote]On Aug 11, 2017, David Parr wrote:
Thanks! I was so surprised that P&T didn't even have a working theory. But what a nice surprise! [/quote]

They only have a moment to think about it. Plus... it is classic principles like you used that usually trip them up, especially if layered well enough, as you so expertly did. I've never seen that principle used in that manner before. Again, KUDOS! Well Done! [/quote]

Thanks, Michael! Glad you enjoyed it! Actually, they have more than a moment to put together a hypothesis. The post-performance interview section is heavily edited down. Before the shoot, I asked the producers how long P&T confer to come up with a theory, and they said "About three to five minutes." In my case, they conferred for double that. Alyson ran out of questions to ask me, so I started interviewing her. When P&T still hadn't finished their intense discussion and scribbling on notepads, Alyson and I just started doing running commentary on what they were doing. Finally, she said "I think they've talked enough. I'm gonna interrupt them." So she did.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2017, David Parr wrote:

Thanks, Michael! Glad you enjoyed it! Actually, they have more than a moment to put together a hypothesis. The post-performance interview section is heavily edited down. Before the shoot, I asked the producers how long P&T confer to come up with a theory, and they said "About three to five minutes." In my case, they conferred for double that. Alyson ran out of questions to ask me, so I started interviewing her. When P&T still hadn't finished their intense discussion and scribbling on notepads, Alyson and I just started doing running commentary on what they were doing. Finally, she said "I think they've talked enough. I'm gonna interrupt them." So she did. [/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the behind-the-scenes play by play, David. It's also great, because it shows that you really nailed the dynamic duo. Again, very well done and extremely well presented. That will leave a great many scratching their heads for a long tome to come.
Congratulations David! Great performance. Really enjoed the show and your behind the scenes information.
Message: Posted by: Francois Lagrange (Aug 13, 2017 03:09AM)
[quote]On Aug 12, 2017, MichaelCGM wrote:
That will leave a great many scratching their heads for a long tome to come. [/quote]

Really?

Unwise to call attention to the method as you will find many people ready to prove you wrong.
I thought he used magic?
Congratulation, very nice presentation :)
(sadly I rarely get that entertained by a card effect)
Thank you!
Loved everything about the performance - genius!! Love it when I have no idea!! Congrats David.
REALLY enjoyed the presentational choices that you made David! It had inherent comedy (both situational and physical) along with clarity of premise. Well done Sir!

Best,

Drew
David, Is this something that you will be releasing to the magic community at any time in the future?
Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
That was awesome and entertaining. After the show did P&T ask you to show them ho you did it?
For those of you interested, if you have Jim Callahan's DVD from before Phenomenon, these letters may be of interest ....RTG ..... :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
Um, Slim King, are you gonna be THAT guy?
Thanks, folks! MentalMik, I never explained it to P&T and neither of them asked.
[quote]On Aug 16, 2017, David Parr wrote:
Um, Slim King, are you gonna be THAT guy? [/quote]
What guy? :clownjuggling:
[quote]On Aug 16, 2017, Slim King wrote:
What guy? [/quote]

What does Mr. Callahan have to do with this?
I've already said I loved your presentation. Very entertaining. I guess I was just channelling what I'd have secretly referred to if I were Penn or Teller. Are you familiar with Jim's work? :ridinghorse:
I guess I was just channelling what I'd have secretly referred to if I were Penn or Teller. Are you familiar with Jim's work? :ridinghorse: [/quote]

Dude.
I think my favorite part was the use of the bell. I've thought recently about making magic "patter" less about commentary, which seems to be a real strength for you, David. Of the clips you have shared, I can't recall any that were the usual running description of the actions the audience can see just by watching. I admire that about your work. I don't think there's a single thing I've seen you do that I would want to do as you do it and that's part of why I enjoy your performances so much.

That reads like a put-down, but it isn't at all. I'd never try to do Lefty, either, but I love watching Jay Marshall do him.

I really don't even want to know how you did it. It is one of those tricks that is best kept a mystery for me. Thank you for sharing.

Really. Thank you.

-Patrick
[quote]On Aug 16, 2017, David Parr wrote:
I guess I was just channelling what I'd have secretly referred to if I were Penn or Teller. Are you familiar with Jim's work? :ridinghorse: [/quote]

Dude. [/quote]

Sorry David but, alas, he is THAT guy.
Thank you, Mr Woolery, for your thoughtful comments. It's good to know that you appreciate the heart of my work. That means a lot to me. And I'm with you on enjoying the mystery, the feeling of not knowing.
Thanks for the commiserations, morgaine. *sigh* Whaddayagonnadoo?
Too bad you didn't attack a person who did exactly the same thing on another thread ... Or isn't he that guy too???
David - this was so wonderful. Every element of your performance was masterful. Congratulations on your FU award - you more than earned it.

Quick question: Did you get to show this routine to Eugene? I'm certain he would have loved it.
Wow good job I loved it
Thank you, Sudo Nimh and mentalism addict! Sudo, no, I did not have the opportunity to show the piece to Eugene.
What a great performance. Nice comedic byplay with Alyson, and loved the story on his w yes you came us with the trick. Congratulations!
Thanks, imgic! True story!
[quote]On Aug 14, 2017, rowdymagi5 wrote:
David, Is this something that you will be releasing to the magic community at any time in the future? [/quote]

rowdymagi5, I'm discussing this subject with an online magic retailer. Will know more about that soon. If it all works out, an announcement will be made on the Café...
David, will it include that awesome bell you use? :)

Just kidding. That bell is pretty sweet-looking though.
If you havent already, get Davids Penguin Lecture. You will get some great insight into Davids thinking. A real treat!
Sadly, Sudo, I only have the one bell. But I can rent it to you :)
[quote]On Aug 25, 2017, rowdymagi5 wrote:
If you havent already, get Davids Penguin Lecture. You will get some great insight into Davids thinking. A real treat! [/quote]

Thanks, dude! I had fun doing the Penguin Live lecture. I hope they'll bring me back for another one.
[quote]On Aug 25, 2017, David Parr wrote:
Sadly, Sudo, I only have the one bell. But I can rent it to you :) [/quote]
At what toll? 😆
I see what you did there, Tom 😉
David :wavey: is good news for magicians.
I'm sure that your magic products will be a success! I just hope that you will release 2 greatest effects in the magical community! This is a card trick and a trick with a rope. It will be an invaluable contribution!
I also hope that perhaps someday you will write another book with magic scripts - for example simple effects. Since the theatricalization of music and a fascinating story - can turn a simple effect - into something more. :applause:
It's official: I'll be returning to the stage at the Penn & Teller theater in Las Vegas on Tuesday, September 26, to reprise my winning piece from Fool Us — and I'll pick up that trophy!
[quote]On Aug 26, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
[quote]On Aug 25, 2017, David Parr wrote:
Sadly, Sudo, I only have the one bell. But I can rent it to you :) [/quote]
At what toll? 😆 [/quote]

:rotf:

(The "one" bell? Is that like the "one" ring? Is it the "one" bell to rule them all? :) )

Good to hear the news David. Break a...er, I mean, have a great time!
Thanks, Sudo! That's my goal: keep my limbs intact while having a great time
On Tuesday, September 26, I returned to Las Vegas to do my guest spot in Penn & Teller's live show. It was lots of fun to perform the piece that fooled them for an audience of more than a thousand people. Here's a backstage view of P&T introducing me to the audience: https://youtu.be/kbi9X97__uY

After I sent my audience assistant back to her seat, P&T handed me the actual Fool Us trophy with my name on it. Here's a pic of us after the show, hanging out in the Monkey Room:

[img]http://www.davidparr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/PDT.jpg[/img]

If you want to see me perform Follow the Leader in person, stop by The Magic Cabaret in Chicago! http://www.magiccabaret.com/
David, was the music timing just perfect as I imagine or was some advanced tech involved?
Paperinick, the background music heard on the episode was added in postproduction by the Fool Us team, to avoid any problems with copyrights and permissions. The Fool Us editors scored the performance.
I was just watching some previous episodes of the P&T show, and watched this episode for the second time.

Once again, congratulations David, fantastic work, and I loved the presentation!
Thank you, EndersGame! I’m glad it was enjoyable to watch, even on a second viewing.
The performance is great. If you decide to sell the method, I am sure it will be a best seller, as so many will want to do a variation of this!
Thanks, rowdymagi5! Keep your eye on a certain online magic retailer named after a flightless bird...
The performance is flawless and beautiful. I look forward to seeing this on ostrich magic? ;)
Thank you, Luke Jonas! Also be wary of Cassowary Magic. ;)
I hope you aren't dealing with dodo dot com... because, you know.

delightful performance and I look forward to hearing what's in store for 2018!