(Close Window)
Topic: Hidden mothers contest
Most of you probably remember MatCult who is missed (at least by me) on this forum. I would like to run collaborative creative contest inspired by his "Seance Contest".
To the point now - the aim for the contest is to have a bit of fun and get our creative juices flowing!
I recently came across few "hidden mothers" in the collection of my CDVs and I thought this would be excellent theme for a routine, an effect, a work of art, a script, a spooky story, a tale. What might be hiding in the dark behind the innocent baby? Is the baby really innocent or hiding a secret that should never surface this world? Is the erased hand really of human being? For those of you not familiar with the subject please take a look here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155681/Old-portraits-children-creepy-ghostmothers-background-far-mums-good-photo.html
or
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1264520@N21/pool/

Text-based entries should be sent in Word Doc, TXT or RTF format.
I will compile all the entries in a PDF. Every entrant receives a copy of the PDF as a reward for taking part. The only way to receive this PDF is to submit an idea (exclusions are on the Judging paragraph below). One lucky submission will win the PRIZE. The biggest prize is really the PDF but let's spice it up even more.
We have 3 offerings confirmed and I would like to thank all the below and each of them individually!

The jackpot is:

Soydan (of Evil Eye Workshop) has offered a "Pearls of the Passed"
Pete McMillan (of Spiritus Dictum) has offered a "Wizard's Eye Wand"
M.R. Darkness has offered one of his "Bell and Bone pendulums"

WINNER TAKES IT ALL!

The rules:

Send entries to pawelswiat[AT]gmail[DOT]com
Subject Line: "Hidden mothers contest"
Closing date for sending entries: 12 noon, Greenwich Mean Time, Sunday, October 15 2017.
Three months is a long time so if you send me an email I can put you on the list to be reminded every other week. I will then keep you updated on the amount of participants and progress of their work. It's a long time as I know most of you have full time jobs performing and working on your own projects. I hope 3 months is enough time for you to come up with an idea, make it epic, polish and send over. Text-based entries should be sent in Word Doc, TXT or RTF format. NOT PDF. Please NOT PDF. If you're sending images, especially if they're "printable props", consider sending them as image files rather than embedding them in the document. This will help to preserve their resolution. A resolution of 300 x 300 dpi or greater usually works okay, although in PDFs 400 x 400 dpi is recommended. If your email server has problem with the size of the files, please drop me a line and I will give you Dropbox folder to upload all the files needed.

Judging:

I received a huge support on this project from Yitzhak Schlomi (YitzhakNoDice on the Café) so please allow me to invite him to the judging panel. The second seat goes to MatCult who agreed to come out of shadows for short moment and help us decide on the lucky winner. The third seat belongs to myself. So it makes three of us deciding who the winner is. I think it goes without saying that the final PDF will be shared with all the judges and the 3 generous people offering prizes (jackpot paragraph). Please also allow the judges to make the decision if your work is enough to be included in the final PDF. The entries of the judges (if any) won't be rated by ourselves so none of us can win the jackpot. We reserve the right to reject entry if we find it not suitable. I basically don't want people sending me "the two sentence tale" just to get their hands on the final PDF. It's for your own protection as well.
Proud to be a part of this, and, although I am exempt from the prize drawing, I will be submitting a story for this compilation. Thanks to Mat, Evil Eye Productions, Pete, and MR. Darkness for offering up the prizes. Mostly, thanks to Pawel who has already done a lot of work to get this compilation started. Kudos to you all! Now, everyone put on your thinking caps, pick up your writing pens, and fill your ink wells!
Hmmmm. The wheels are starting to turn. What a very generous offer from everyone involved.
Chuga-Chuga-Chuga ---

Great basis for a contest. Just a quick clarification thought -- where will the rights to ther material submitted reside for publication or performance once submitted and judged?

Suggrestion here -- if not decided yet -- might this not be a project for correlation, then sale to benefit this forum and its support???? There must be a way to do that so we all can bebefit?
This is really cool, although the theme is a tough one from my point of view since I already knew the truly bizarre “hidden mothers” and never came up with something for it. I am real glad that you could continue the series. Thanks pawel and all of you who made this possible including MatCult.

May the Muses sing again...
Thank you all very much for kind words. It means a lot to me!

Re: copyrights - I haven't thought about that much yet. As the PDF would go to agreed participants ONLY they would all have rights to perform and use all content from it. They would have the publication rights to work they submitted only though. I will make it clear on the PDF. I think that make sense. It's not project for profit and I won't be publishing the PDF any more. It will be published once only and should not be spread. I hope it make sense. If you have any objections it's best to send me private message to discuss.

Thanks again guys. Please spread the word about the contest. We want as many participants as possible. Subject is not easy but with lots of potential :)
Just a reminder about the contest. Please keep up working on the subject and spread the word. Thank you.
Just a reminder guys. So far we have very limited response. I hope everybody is waiting for the last moment but not sure.
I'm actively working on it. Mine may end up as a compilation of small stories or routines instead of one because my mind is going in so many different directions on this.
I like that a lot !!!
My submission is almost ready. Just need to sit on it for a few days and make a few revisions and corrections. But the framework and most of the structure is set and good to go.
Great to hear 😉
Drafted and in the final phase of polishing it off. (Evil laugh)
My entry was just submitted.
Got it. Thank you!
This is fun-- did anyone else ever enter 'proving the impossible' when online-visions was around? Also there was a great column there called bizarre bazaar by peter marcucci
Wish I had time for this contest. Maybe another time.
Dear all - final reminder. The clock is ticking and it's only 4 days left:

Closing date for sending entries: 12 noon, Greenwich Mean Time, Sunday, October 15 2017.
Submitted (on Friday the 13th no less)
With ink covering my fingers, I humbly submit my contribution...
I submitted mine a few weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing everyone's contribution and creativity . . . Hopefully mine will be up to the same calibre.
Pawel, how is this coming along. I’m curious to see what others offered up.
All looking good. We are rereading submissions and counting votes. Will take some time but we are moving on 😀
There are some very creepy photographs there. What a great subject for a séance effect.

Black Hart
I was going to enter this contest but the mothers were hidden so well I couldn't find any.
Any updates?
Sorry about the delay. We have the pdf draft ready and almost decided on the winner. Please give us few more days to tidy up loose ends and we will announce the outcome.
[quote]On Nov 21, 2017, pawel wrote:
Sorry about the delay. We have the pdf draft ready and almost decided on the winner. Please give us few more days to tidy up loose ends and we will announce the outcome. [/quote]
Update?
Any word on the status?
I'm back and will catch up on the subject tomorrow. Sorry about that. Long story short I was out and away not sure where. It was not up to me but back in shape now to take control again. Really sorry again. Paarticipants should get email in the next day or two and winner will be announced here as well. Brace yourself!
Pawel, I no longer engage in entering creative contests I did however enjoy the bizarre photos of concealed or hidden mothers with their children. Wonderful images, just begging for a back story.

One might ask if a mother was actually beneath the cloth, or was it only spirit of a mother lost in child birth; the baby having surviving her;but a mother love is alwats present.

Just a thought. Thanks again for posting tose incredibly haunting photographs.

Kotah
[quote]On Jan 17, 2018, KOTAH wrote:
One might ask if a mother was actually beneath the cloth, or was it only spirit of a mother lost in child birth; the baby having surviving her;but a mother love is alwats present.
Kotah [/quote]

I like that Kotah - thank you!
Pawel, shame might be another reason a person might resort to covering themselves. The person who chose to cover themselves may have done so out of shame. Perhaps they have horible scars due to an accident / fire. they may have been what were once consider freaks.Their off spring being polar opposites of themselves.

That is the great part of your story witing challenge you have offered up/ aiat challenges us to really imagine the 'why' OF IT ALL.

If the innocent child were the m end result of an adulterous affair. Guilt and fear might be reason tconceal her identity.

Fear of condemnation by the community and also by the church/.

Another victim of the Scarlet letter syndrome.

Kotah
Pawel, one final thought, if I may. On a grander scale, the combination of an illusion such as Dekoltas chair vanish, and a seance as has been suggesated.

What lovely deceit to begin with what is assumed to be a seated figure covered with a cloth. The photograps are shown, and an attempt is made to contact one of the women She makes her presence known via tapping sounds or movement of the covering shroud et. She leaves her love in the form of a memento lying on the chair as the cloth is whisked away, she has vanished, returned beyond the beil. 0nly the haunting memento, symbol of her love remains. If you choose, an actual woman need never be seated there from the start. Oblu a modified gizzmo form which may be oulled away with the cloth, rather than tipping to the back might be employed. The non tipping feke is attached to the chair back via magnets.

Thank you for the opportunity to offer suggestions for what ever they may be worth.

Kotah
[quote]On Jan 17, 2018, KOTAH wrote:
Pawel, one final thought, if I may. On a grander scale, the combination of an illusion such as Dekoltas chair vanish, and a seance as has been suggesated.

What lovely deceit to begin with what is assumed to be a seated figure covered with a cloth. The photograps are shown, and an attempt is made to contact one of the women She makes her presence known via tapping sounds or movement of the covering shroud et. She leaves her love in the form of a memento lying on the chair as the cloth is whisked away, she has vanished, returned beyond the beil. 0nly the haunting memento, symbol of her love remains. If you choose, an actual woman need never be seated there from the start. Oblu a modified gizzmo form which may be oulled away with the cloth, rather than tipping to the back might be employed. The non tipping feke is attached to the chair back via magnets.

Thank you for the opportunity to offer suggestions for what ever they may be worth.

Kotah [/quote]
Kotah, you will want to read my entry. I started along the same lines as you, but abandon that for a story with a dark twist to it. It’s short and I can PM the story to you.
Pawel, if you sent anything out yet I must not have received it.
[quote]On Jan 11, 2018, pawel wrote:
I'm back and will catch up on the subject tomorrow. Sorry about that. Long story short I was out and away not sure where. It was not up to me but back in shape now to take control again. Really sorry again. Paarticipants should get email in the next day or two and winner will be announced here as well. Brace yourself! [/quote]
Was anything emailed? I have not received anything.
Oh the anticipation! . . .
May be it remains hidden :-)
At some point when we are tired of waiting, maybe we should just post our submissions down below in the crypt for all to enjoy.
I assume that no one has received anything yet? I hope that everthing is ok with Pawel.
Part two of the contest is submitting a Hidden Pawel story.
Has anyone heard anything from Pawel? Hopefully he is ok.
Since it doesn't seem pawel will ever follow through on this here was my short story entry. My appologies to De Kolta. Enjoy.

Hidden Mother/Missing Mothers

A curious photo, is it not. The photo is Georges only memory of his mother. A seated woman covered head to foot under a black cloth, in her lap she holds her precious child. George would spend a life time staring at this photo vainly trying to image the features of the mother he never got to know.

The year was 1884. De Kolta was on to something big, even if he only had the first part down. Something the world had never witnessed before.

A camera documented this moment. A bright flash, the ping of a wedding ring hitting the floor, and poof she was gone. It was an act of pure magic without any trickery. If only De Kolta knew then how to make a vanished woman re-appear Georges life would of been a happy one. It would take another two years of experiments. Until then De Kolta would continue to pose as a humble photographer to unsuspecting happy young mothers.

- Bob
Great thinking Intrepid. Beautiful tie in with De Kolta. Thank you for sharing.
I hope Pawel is okay as well.
I take it no one has heard anything.
Nothing
It made me think of this song, don't know why: https://vimeo.com/80491883

Have a good weekend, Luc.
Another example about how people use the Café to STEAL ideas from members with promises and lies. I have no dog in this show but between this and the Mark Elsdon ruse, I would have to be very sure of who I'm trusting around here. Why aren't people ostracized by the community and never allowed to become members in the first place? Their criminal type behavior seems to go back a long way?
When we know the people in question, we understand that there could have been life issues that came up.

The bizarre community is rather compassionate, in my experience. With some notable exceptions.
I was the person who encouraged Pawel to start the Hidden Mother project. It took some effort, really, as he was reluctant. This fact demonstrates there was anything nefarious going on. My last email from Pawel indicated he was in the middle of some very difficult personal and family troubles from which may take considerable time to remedy. There is nothing more.

These projects tend to be growth experiences for those who contribute and often it is very enjoyable to see the final product. Having participated in several of these myself, as well as starting one, I encourage people here to take advantage of such opportunities.
While I am disappointed that the project fell by the wayside it did encourage me to let my creativity run and along the way even opened up ideas and thoughts about future projects. So no, I am not disappointed that I participated for I still came away with more than what I started with.
My mother is still under the sofa. Can someone confirm she is allowed to come out?
After more than a year, I would like to announce I am breathing life back into the Hidden Mothers with Pawel's permission. I heard from Pawel today and he is still struggling with health issues, but is on the mend, slowly. He sends an apology. Please send him your good wishes for a complete recovery. In the meantime, I will be collecting all your email addresses in preparation for sending out the compilation, followed by the prize winner's announcement.

Thanks for all your patience,
Yitzhak
I have sent out an email to all the contributors with the final Hidden Mothers Compilation. If you contributed and did not get my email, please contact me here in a PM.

Please congratulate our winner John Gilmore for his "Annabelle" submission.

Excellent work all of you! Thank you for making this project come to fruition.
Congratulations John, and best wishes to Pawel for a healthy recovery.
John that's awesome! Congratulations!! Your prize shipped today. You should receive the Spirit Pendulum Friday.

Thanks to all those who contributed. Lets keep the tradition going.

If you perform, thinking of performing or just wish to be creative, there is no better way than writing stories, effects and/or routines. These types of compilations provide an opportunity to challenge yourself and hone your skills in a safe and encouraging environment.

You may only call yourself a writer if you actual write! You all did a great job and should be proud of your work!

Thanks to Pawel for the Hidden mothers contest. We wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards,
The other Rick
Yitzhak was kind enough to send me a copy of the pdf even though my own short story was lost in the chaos of this competition. Thank you Yitzhak much appreciated. :)