(Close Window)
Topic: Favourite mentalism effect with unprepared deck of cards?
Someone hands you a deck of cards and asks you to do a magic trick.

'I don't do magic, but I can read thoughts. Let me show you something...'

So, what do you do?

Funnily enough this happened to me the other day. I did some ancient card tricks, dressed up as mind control / thought reading. Do As I Do and Card In The Pocket - both of which I learned in my early teens.

I realised that, apart from stuff like Osterlind's stack and various gaffed decks, I was pretty thin on impromptu card stuff that could be classed as mentalism.
OOTW.
Probably should be taken downstairs
I also do a version of OOTW. I also have a very simple CAAN that I frame in a variety of ways - usually either a feat of memory by the volunteer or of influence to get them to choose a specific number.

Also got a version of a Hector Chadwick/Spidey routine that's a sort of card guessing/mind reading thing.

Otherwise I have a variety of ways to divine a thought of playing card.
At the moment, it's "Philter", but only probably because it's so new and I'm feeling the initial giddiness about it.

Ben
Liam Montier has a video on 'With Any Shuffled Deck' that has a few items that would work well for this sort of thing. Maybe John Bannon's 'Ulterior' as it also can set you up for you're next effect with the same deck.
I'll also note I've done a version of Poker Player's Picnic framed as the ability to influence them to cut to certain positions.

It's really just down to your ability to script.
The 9 card trick is a go-to for me. I also like Gemini twins and the simple "deal the cards in two piles" prediction force routine. No idea what it is called.

Ian Rowland has a couple of excellent ideas in his Penguin lecture.

Patrick
Let them take a card, p**k the bottom, let them cut the cards, let them put theirs on top, let them put the rest of the deck on top, couple of cuts and then spread out the cards.

I do this twice, first I hold their hand and find their card.
The second time I ask them to follow my hand with their eyes and I find the card again.
White Star.
Depends on the moment, but I don't have a single favorite... I have "favorites". It could be a Single Card Divination, Multiple Card Divination, OOTW, ACAAN or even Pentakill (finding the 4 aces through "memory", plus a selected card).

The kicker from my impromptu OOTW, I love their reactions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkJvL4qsFWs
Prediction on the back of a business card, demonstrating the ability to mentally influence a person's mind by what I say, how I say it, and when I say it. Y'all already know how.
Brookings/Brown "The Crusade"
I have them mentally send a card to me. I never have a card selected, as in taken out of the deck. Usually I have them cut off a portion of cards and look at the one they cut to, or I riffle a corner and have them stay stop. Nu Way out of this world is pretty great, too, as is the classic 'You do as I do". Also worth mentioning is Diplobia by Paul Vigil.
C*****c f**ce a random card face down to the table, participant covers it with a hand, good equivoque (ala Joshua Quinn)--it's devastating.

Participant gets all the credit.

Nowadays people really don't associate me with cards, so I just don't get asked. But when I did this it was all I needed.
Seven by Bryn Reynolds from his ebook Safwan Papers. You don't even need a deck of cards to do it.
[quote]On Aug 8, 2017, terrillific wrote:
Seven by Bryn Reynolds from his ebook Safwan Papers. You don't even need a deck of cards to do it. [/quote]

Yes I should have thrown that in before you as I am a 7 aficionado.

I would have just had them pick a card and look at a blank piece of paper etc and divine each piece.

I can't remember that last time someone had a deck of cards and I didn't. And they handed me a deck. I am not sure it's ever happened even when I worked professionally for 15 years.
I just learned Muldoon Match. Easy, casual, the spectator is the magical one.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8584
For me its 'Tracker'

Killer reactions and can be done with zero prep with any deck.
[quote]On Aug 8, 2017, bevbevvybev wrote:

So, what do you do?
[/quote]

After the runaway success of my first Penguin Live Lecture, I've been invited back for another and you might be interested to learn that I'm exploring the theme of Mentalism with playing cards in my second Penguin Live Lecture next summer. This new lecture will focus on how to present compelling mentalism using playing cards while avoiding the perception that you are a magician - indeed, the effects shown will not require any sleight of hand whatsoever. Just convincing plots and justifiable, natural reasons for introducing playing cards that result in direct mind reading and entertaining revelations.

To answer the question in the near term, however, I'd have to say that The Crusade is my go to piece of anytime, anywhere, convincing mentalism with a borrowed, shuffled deck of cards.

Looch's 'Tracker' is also pretty incredible and I have personally seen it get a LOT of really great reactions when he has performed it.

Best,

Atlas
A lot of great ideas here. Paul Hallas has an entire book dedicated to this very topic, titled "Mentalism with Cards." If you want to explore a number of different plots, variations and ideas to potentially add to your repertoire, Paul's book is a good one to pick up.
Option Call by Paul Green. I have carried the predicted card in my wallet for so many years it is almost worn away. Learned it in Syzygy.
Option Call requires two cards and a himber. I'm guessing you just EqV the last pile.
[quote]On Aug 8, 2017, John C wrote:

I would have just had them pick a card and look at a blank piece of paper etc and divine each piece.

I can't remember that last time someone had a deck of cards and I didn't. And they handed me a deck. I am not sure it's ever happened even when I worked professionally for 15 years. [/quote]

Never happens professionally, obviously. But it does crop up when cards are out in social situations. Like losing really badly at cards as I did last weekend.
Hi Lucien & BevBevvyBev,
Option Call, or as I titled it, The Odds Against Me does not require a Himber type wallet. I think of this trick as one of my top 5 presentations. It is very strong!
Enjoy the Search!
Respectfully,
Paul Green
For me it's Patrick Redford's "Storm."
Also, Ben Blau's "Ishin Denshin" is phenomenal and baffling.
[quote]On Aug 9, 2017, bevbevvybev wrote:
Option Call requires two cards and a himber. I'm guessing you just EqV the last pile. [/quote]

Yes. With Max's touches from Multiplicity, it is even stronger than the original imho.
[quote]On Aug 9, 2017, PaulGreen wrote:
Hi Lucien & BevBevvyBev,
Option Call, or as I titled it, The Odds Against Me does not require a Himber type wallet. I think of this trick as one of my top 5 presentations. It is very strong!
Enjoy the Search!
Respectfully,
Paul Green [/quote]

Hi Paul! It is probably the most fooling thing I do. If someone hands me any deck, you can go right into it with minimal effort. Genius work, Sir! If done right it blows by magicians and regular spectators. So simple and devious! The presentation/scripting creates these little cognitive black areas that makes it so hard to back track.

^^when I said the original, I mean the version I learned from Lee Earle's video. I have never encountered Paul's original, but now intend to track it down.
For me it is:
Paul Vigils Diplopia.
Always fun.
Cheers
Stefan
Mirror Mirror from Docc.

Tracker from Looch.
Eugene Burger's version of OOTW. Performed it today with an unprepared deck. Great reaction.

- Richard
[quote]On Aug 9, 2017, Atlas wrote:
[quote]On Aug 8, 2017, bevbevvybev wrote:

So, what do you do?
[/quote]

After the runaway success of my first Penguin Live Lecture, I've been invited back for another and you might be interested to learn that I'm exploring the theme of Mentalism with playing cards in my second Penguin Live Lecture next summer. This new lecture will focus on how to present compelling mentalism using playing cards while avoiding the perception that you are a magician - indeed, the effects shown will not require any sleight of hand whatsoever. Just convincing plots and justifiable, natural reasons for introducing playing cards that result in direct mind reading and entertaining revelations.

To answer the question in the near term, however, I'd have to say that The Crusade is my go to piece of anytime, anywhere, convincing mentalism with a borrowed, shuffled deck of cards.

Looch's 'Tracker' is also pretty incredible and I have personally seen it get a LOT of really great reactions when he has performed it.

Best,

Atlas [/quote]

Forgot about the Crusade somehow! Part of the reason I started this thread was for a memory jog :)
JB Bobo - higher_mentality (impostress princess)
I bought an effect from Unleashyourdreams, years ago, called Skullcrusher. The principle behind the effect is brilliant, and I would love to know the history behind it...the website gives no credit to anybody. I love this effect, and it has always been a favorite of mine. You can play it up as telepathy, or present yourself as a master of human psychology, either way it kills. If anyone has any more info about this one please do share.
[quote]On Aug 9, 2017, Looch wrote:
For me its 'Tracker'

Killer reactions and can be done with zero prep with any deck. [/quote]

Forgotten about this one. Its great. What penguin lecture is it on? 1 or 2?
The second lecture and in the black project. :)
Here's a performance of my new routine "Philter" with an unprepared deck.

https://youtu.be/N9IB9ReX_2M
I use a a trick called SCAARN which is an impromptu CAAN effect. I've got some great reactions with it.
Anyone performe the 20 card trick from the Jinx? The only place Ive seen it performed is Osterlinds No camera tricks. It looks great. I usually perform a bussiness card revelation from a f**ce, and recently tracker and Acaanasta from Looch and Pablo Amira
Have couple

-Tracker by Looch
-Some version of ACAAN, preferably without touching the deck (mostly because I find it fun to perform)
-Kings force by Fraser and Ross
-Getting to know you by Perer Turner
I usually do my own hands off ACAAN from a shuffled deck and then Eugene burgers OOTW (if that counts)
I sometimes do the Jack's ACAAN from his DVD, it is awesome!
[quote]On Aug 17, 2017, Caveman wrote:
I bought an effect from Unleashyourdreams, years ago, called Skullcrusher. The principle behind the effect is brilliant, and I would love to know the history behind it...the website gives no credit to anybody. I love this effect, and it has always been a favorite of mine. You can play it up as telepathy, or present yourself as a master of human psychology, either way it kills. If anyone has any more info about this one please do share. [/quote]

Thanks, Mr. Caveman, for posting this!!

Just finished reading the method. WOW! (Never came across it before)
Sent a request, 'across the pond', asking who is credited for it?

If I find out, I'll let you know.

Thanks again, :)
Sixten
I can also recommend the mentalism effect that can be done with a new bought deck of cards over the phone from Mark Spelmann. I would need to look up the name of the routine.
Just this evening I was looking at Predict-A-Mania II from Larry Becker's World of Super Mentalism and thinking I should give it a try (so not my favorite now, but...?) Deck of cards, couple pieces of paper and something to write with. Might want to poke at it.

Jay
The thought-of-card-to-pocket from Benjamin Earle's Past midnight also fits nicely the theme of mentalism with an unprepared deck :)
I've always enjoyed performing a two person version of the classic Psychic Stop from Expert Card Technique. Still one of the most beautiful mental effects in card magic.
Leo Boudreau - The Faro and the Princess (Imagine being able to perform the classic Paul Fox effect wherein you reveal the mental selections of 4 participants with a borrowed and spectator-shuffled deck and with NO stacks, NO cribs, and NO memory!)

Paul Vigil - Diplopia.
Sudo - which of Boudreau's publications contains this effect?
It isn't in those, Mark.

It was published in Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse Vol. 17, No. 11. If you have the hardbound versions, then it is located in the 4th Volume (16-20) on page 2430.

I almost wish I didn't mention it here now because it really is *that* good! (And oh so easy.)

The name "Boudreau" about says it all. :)
I didn't read the whole thread so if this has already been mentioned then please forgive me.
I have a version of Larry Becker's Kolossal Killer an original idea by Kenton Knepper.

In the version I do there is only one card used and it can be any card, I choose. So If asked
to do something with a deck of cards, I simply remove a card from the deck and go into my
linguistics, leading the participant to the card I tabled.

It's the only thing I need to do impromptu with a deck of cards, as it's that strong.
I tell them to put the deck away, think of any card then reveal it using my Isolation technique.

Other than that I use my Springboard to teach the spectator how to read a mind or use ten cards and two spectators for a hands off "ESP style match up" performed by two spectators making them the stars (Tattle Tailed).

And I agree, Diplopia and The Crusade are both fantastic routines that I have used myself to great effect!

Best Wishes Michael
I do have to re-read springboard.
[quote]On Sep 6, 2017, Sixten wrote:
[quote]On Aug 17, 2017, Caveman wrote:
I bought an effect from Unleashyourdreams, years ago, called Skullcrusher. The principle behind the effect is brilliant, and I would love to know the history behind it...the website gives no credit to anybody. I love this effect, and it has always been a favorite of mine. You can play it up as telepathy, or present yourself as a master of human psychology, either way it kills. If anyone has any more info about this one please do share. [/quote]

Thanks, Mr. Caveman, for posting this!!

Just finished reading the method. WOW! (Never came across it before)
Sent a request, 'across the pond', asking who is credited for it?

If I find out, I'll let you know.

Thanks again, :)
Sixten [/quote]

I have the information you boys are looking for. :)

While Skullcrusher is a decent effect, it is hardly new and is actually a step BACKWARDS in terms of evolution. That said, Mr. Beckett's idea of doing this over the phone or while your back is turned is an interesting wrinkle, though nothing revolutionary.

The origins of the method begins with Bill Murata's "Waikiki Shuffle Location". T.A. Waters published a routine featuring it titled "Waikikut" in "Deckalogue" (1982), which was later republished in T.A.'s "Mind, Myth, and Magick" book. However, Waters was not the first to publish a routine featuring Murata's "Waikiki Shuffle".

Harry Lorayne has a FANTASTIC routine using the Murata concept. Rather than divining one card, he divines two cards and without needing to alter the procedure! And if that weren't enough, he has a kicker climax in the form of a prediction that is in full view throughout the entire performance! It is an absolute gem of a routine.

Harry first published this routine in "The Magic Book" (1977). He also features this effect (titled Ultra Location Prediction) on his "Best Ever!" DVD - Volume 2.

It's true - the GOLD is in the old books. :)
[quote]On Sep 10, 2017, Sudo Nimh wrote:

It's true - the GOLD is in the old books. :) [/quote]
So true, Sudo.
I think I've told this story before: Years and years ago I devastated a group of card guys at the Castle with Lorayne's STOP effect.

They were all in the Hat & Hare room sitting around the table. I was in the back of the room kind of laying down between two chairs... practically in the dark. I had been doing a bunch of impromptu shows and the night was dying down.

So they're passing around a deck and doing stuff to each other. I guess one decides to talk about mentalism with cards.... mentalism with magicians was NOT a popular thing back then. Well, one of the guys who knows me says, "Hey, Greg does mentalism. Can you do something for us?"

From the back, and never getting up, I told them to shuffle their deck. I then went through the STOP idea. The guy started slowly dealing cards off his packet. I suddenly shouted, "STOP!" as he had one card in his hand. I told him to name his card. He did. I told him to turn the card he now had in his hand over. He did. Silence in the room as everyone saw it was that card.

I got up and walked away.

In general, with other people's decks I'll do STOP or OOTW or this really cool one in an Aronson book which I don't remember the name of.

I do have a story about the Aronson one. I was at the Castle again. One of the guys wanted me to do something for him. Now this is a guy that wants to know how everything is done and wants to have every effect in his arsenal. We were kind of waiting for another close up show to start so I was talking to a group and he was off to the side.

I do the effect for him. I make sure he sees I keep talking to my group and barely looking at him. When I find his card he goes ballistic. He keeps yelling, "You didn't even look. How!? How!? DO THAT AGAIN!!" So I did. And I frustrated him more by really looking like I wasn't paying any attention to him until he told me he was done and I went over and picked up the deck. I found his card and he went crazy.

Greg
The best mentalism card effect is probably Deceit Treat by Cameron Francis. It's a "stunning miracle with a BORROWED SHUFFLED deck". The reason why I love this so much is because it is totally self-working, so you can really concentrate on the performance, and is completely impromptu. And there are no forces whatsoever.

This was also discussed here in the forum as well. [url]http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=641639&forum=218[/url]
Great stories, Greg.

Based on Annemann's commentary in his books (and especially in the Jinx!), I'd be willing to bet that were he alive today he would most certainly be an Aronson fan - the man's work is simply astounding. My favorite effect of his is "Prior Commitment" from his book "Try the Impossible". It just doesn't get much better than that. In fact, this very effect fooled the pants off of Penn and Teller...

I'm pretty sure I know exactly which Aronson effect you were performing at the Castle too. I'm betting that it was "Self Control" from "The Aronson Approach". ;)
[quote]On Sep 10, 2017, Sudo Nimh wrote:
I'm pretty sure I know exactly which Aronson effect you were performing at the Castle too. I'm betting that it was "Self Control" from "The Aronson Approach". ;) [/quote]

It could be, but I don't remember the name. This was easily over a decade ago. Aronson has some great stuff in his books.

Greg
Two impromptu routines I'd do are Rosini's Double Reverse and my own Invisible Aces. I love the first routine as there is almost no sleight of hand required and allows me to remain clean through most of the routine. This reinforces the idea that I don't do "card tricks". The other routine doesn't require cards at all and goes great with impromptu.
I get good reactions from this one.
https://youtu.be/997eodZgs1c
I love this one Necromancer. Well done ! I've no idea how you did this !
Ditto. very very nice Necromancer!
Thanks for the kind words :)
[quote]On Sep 11, 2017, Necromancer wrote:
I get good reactions from this one.
https://youtu.be/997eodZgs1c [/quote]

2 things and not to be critical but the perception had you be a magician not a mentalist. OK if that was what you were going for but devastating if not?

And I think the method was obvious. Of course that when looking through the eye of one such as us. Obviously stellar to the lay.

Kudos for getting the radio spot.
Oh and just so that you know, that's why I can't perform my one card killer for mentalists. It's method would be brutishly obvious.
[quote]On Sep 13, 2017, paul180 wrote:

2 things and not to be critical but the perception had you be a magician not a mentalist. OK if that was what you were going for but devastating if not?

And I think the method was obvious. Of course that when looking through the eye of one such as us. Obviously stellar to the lay.

[/quote]

Not devastating at all: I was there to promote the preview run of my new show, Near Death Experience, which includes both mentalism and magic within a larger narrative. For these purposes, I was presented as a "psychological magician." His reaction was priceless, and the radio show (one of the top rated in Indianapolis) even posted this video to its Facebook page, where it quickly got several thousand views. So, mission accomplished.

(To say the method was obvious, however, could be seen as raising yourself up by putting down your brethren who've already admitted to not knowing how it's accomplished. Not to be critical, but you might want to consider how you're being perceived.)
[quote]On Sep 13, 2017, Necromancer wrote:
(To say the method was obvious, however, could be seen as raising yourself up by putting down your brethren who've already admitted to not knowing how it's accomplished. Not to be critical, but you might want to consider how you're being perceived.) [/quote]

Thank you for the criticism. I can sometimes not come off well in the written word and thought that my own self depreciation explained my reasoning. I'm not responsible for others perceptions only for my own presentations. But I'll try to do better.
For years, my favorite go-to trick with an unprepared deck of cards has been my own "Sort Of The Truth", although now that I've streamlined "Philter", it's quickly becoming my favorite.
Message: Posted by: theothermentalist (Sep 15, 2017 02:10PM)
"Color Sense" from Card Fictions by Pit is a wonderful routine. Though I think doing it in this scenario would go specifically against Pit's essay on performance mode because OP would be on the spot in that moment. So a single card divination with the necessary WORK for "Color Sense" being done while running through the cards to find the originally thought of card. I hope that makes sense to those who know "Color Sense".
Holy history lesson Sudo, that was amazing! near encyclopedic! I really appreciate the info and will definately check out Lorayne's take on the Murata principle. I've been fascinated by the effect since I learned it, marveling at the mind that could come up with such an idea. Thanks!
No problem Caveman - you're welcome.

If you can, you really should check out Harry's DVD I mentioned where it is featured - I didn't see the ending coming and it fooled me good. It's a wonderful routine and very sneaky. Makes me grin every time I perform it. :)
Reading!
I'll definately check out the Lorayne DVD at some point, but by the looks of those DVDs I'm gonna be going down quite the rabbit hole! thanks again Sudo.
Ben Blau's "Sort Of The Truth" from Asymptotes has become my new favorite with a borrowed deck, actually any deck. It's perfectly motivated and if you're one who doesn't like mixing cards and mentalism, I find it the perfect solution to have on hand if someone asks you to do something with cards.
[quote]On Sep 25, 2017, marklock wrote:
Ben Blau's "Sort Of The Truth" from Asymptotes has become my new favorite with a borrowed deck, actually any deck. It's perfectly motivated and if you're one who doesn't like mixing cards and mentalism, I find it the perfect solution to have on hand if someone asks you to do something with cards. [/quote]

Thank you! If you liked that one, you’re probably also going to like another few that will be released on an upcoming video project of mine. This video will feature several effects, and a large portion of the proceeds are going to be donated to the Eugene Burger Estate Scholarship Fund for The Magic & Mystery School.

One of the new routines is probably going to be filmed today, and if I get good footage I’ll post a link here.

Ben
[quote]On Sep 26, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
[quote]On Sep 25, 2017, marklock wrote:
Ben Blau's "Sort Of The Truth" from Asymptotes has become my new favorite with a borrowed deck, actually any deck. It's perfectly motivated and if you're one who doesn't like mixing cards and mentalism, I find it the perfect solution to have on hand if someone asks you to do something with cards. [/quote]

Thank you! If you liked that one, you’re probably also going to like another few that will be released on an upcoming video project of mine. This video will feature several effects, and a large portion of the proceeds are going to be donated to the Eugene Burger Estate Scholarship Fund for The Magic & Mystery School.

One of the new routines is probably going to be filmed today, and if I get good footage I’ll post a link here. It’s called “Denim”.

Ben [/quote]
[quote]On Aug 8, 2017, John C wrote:
[quote]On Aug 8, 2017, terrillific wrote:
Seven by Bryn Reynolds from his ebook Safwan Papers. You don't even need a deck of cards to do it. [/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you, John!
Psychological stop trick. it is genuinely mental and works a charm
Ben, I saw the performance video of denim on your youtube channel. It is fantastic. Great job! I'm not going to post a link here. I'll let you do that when you are ready to share it.
This is Denim. Bear in mind that it’s a practice session.

https://youtu.be/LvBBMnQcwuM

100% impromptu. Any deck at any time.
Mr. Sudo,

And a loooong overdue: "I Thank You Also!" ("Skullcrusher")
(Sent 5 requests to Chris @ unleashyourdreams, he was to ask one of the magis. Nothing!)

Warmest regards,
Sixten :)
Trying to get my routine “Hydra” on film today.
[quote]On Aug 8, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
OOTW. [/quote]
I like impromptu OOTW
Rennie

[/quote]

Not devastating at all: I was there to promote the preview run of my new show, Near Death Experience, which includes both mentalism and magic within a larger narrative. For these purposes, I was presented as a "psychological magician." His reaction was priceless, and the radio show (one of the top rated in Indianapolis) even posted this video to its Facebook page, where it quickly got several thousand views. So, mission accomplished.

(To say the method was obvious, however, could be seen as raising yourself up by putting down your brethren who've already admitted to not knowing how it's accomplished. Not to be critical, but you might want to consider how you're being perceived.) [/quote]
I was impressed by the effect nd have no idea how you did it. Great job !!
[quote]On Oct 26, 2017, Rennie wrote:

[/quote]

I was impressed by the effect nd have no idea how you did it. Great job !! [/quote]

I was impressed you try such a risky effect on live radio ;) Well done !