(Close Window)
Topic: Wanted: Mentalism Mastermind Group
I'm relatively new to mentalism and would like to find a group of people (5 total, I think) that would like to get together weekly on the phone for about an hour and talk about what we're working on, ask for help with problems that have us stuck, etc. I was a member of such a group years ago (in a different industry) and it was really helpful for growth.

I don't perform right now, but am wanting to get there sooner rather than later. I performed (magic and associated stuff) full-time in my late teens and early 20s and since then the only performing I've done has been acting with community theatre groups. So I'm not new to performing, just new to the idea of performing as a mentalist.

I'd get together with people locally, but I'm stuck in Alaska where I think there are two people interested in mentalism, and we're 5.5 hours apart.

Anybody interested in something like this? Or maybe someone that's done this before and has some tips on helping it run smoothly?

Thanks.

Jay
Jay:

No matter where we live, most of do not find enough mentalists to constitute a group. I live in Lexington, KY, there are more than a half-million in our metropolitan area; three of us are mentalists, only two of us perform.

I know of two options for you.

1. Come to the next Mindvention this November. You should meet enough guys to network with through the year. Some guys do it by Skype

2. Find (or help start) an IBM or SAM club in your area. I am active in our IBM ring; we learn from each other, we field test effects at the club and get feedback,

George
Thanks for the suggestions, George. While a trip to Mindvention would be awesome, it's not in the cards for me this year. I helped start an Anchorage magic club (SAM Assembly 163) back in the 80s and it lasted a while, but I think it died in the last decade or so. Maybe I'll see who I can dig up...

Jay
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Aug 20, 2017 03:56PM)
Phone? I would recommend Skype. This is the 21st century, after all. :-)
[quote]On Aug 20, 2017, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Phone? I would recommend Skype. This is the 21st century, after all. :-) [/quote]

Not in Alaska. Not quite yet. 😜
Jay:

SAM and IBM each have a roster of people everywhere who are members and receive the respective magazine. If you are a member, they may give you the roster of member/subscribers in your area who might join a local club. Some clubs, like in Louisville, are affiliated with both SAM and IBM.

George
Sounds great to me - as long we can work out the tech side and logistics.
Tentatively count me in.

Elliott
I would love that, the closest person to me I'm aware of is Bobby Motta. I'm in the same boat as Elliott, good to go if schedules and tech are solid
I'd like to join in on Skype, time zones permitting.

Barry
I am interested in this, as well.

Brad
Cool! I'll contact those who've shown interest sometime in the coming week and we'll see if we can't nail down a time that works for all (or most).

Jay
Has this been cancelled? Was looking forward to bouncing some ideas.
What happened to the PEA?

My understanding is that several peer groups were formed under it via net and locale.
Hello Gregg,

While I can't speak for everybody interested in this online group, I can at least speak for myself. I am not a member of the PEA, and while I am not ruling out a potential membership application in the future, at this time it is not the right fit for me. However, a small group meeting online will work perfectly for me, schedule permitting of course.

All the best,

Brad
I find this interesting as well as the term Mastermind usually includes some "masters" or a groups of "masters" peers, where this is seeming to be more like a common interest group of mentalism enthusiasts. Especially since some are not even performing mentalists. The PEA came to mind as well but I not thinking that is right for the group.
Actually, a Mastermind group, originally introduced by Napoleon Hill as a "Master mind alliance" was defined by Hill as:

“The coordination of knowledge and effort of two or more people, who work toward a definite purpose, in the spirit of harmony.”

http://www.thesuccessalliance.com/what-is-a-mastermind-group/

So, no "masters" required. Working with a "master" is something altogether different, called mentoring or coaching.
Not a member of the PEA either.
I wouldn't join the PEA, myself, unless it was free or provided a magazine worth the annual fee - which it might. I don't really know.
I thought the name sounded a little funny too.
But ultimately – aside from not using something offensive - the name is pretty meaningless anyways.
For all I care, we can call ourselves the Justice League of America or the League of Extraordinary Bast**rds.
Why don't you sign up to David thiel's thing? Mind gems or something? It's not free but at least you'll be learning from experienced people...
Http://www.mindgemsbraintrust.com/meet-the-faculty.html
Checked it out.
That looks really cool.
Expensive? I wasn't aware there was a fee.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Sep 4, 2017 05:32PM)
I don't have anything flattering to say about the PEA as a group either (although I'm sure that certain individual members are quite lovely people).

After I was blackballed from joining, I went ahead and formed my own local group called the Lunatic Fringe. It met the night of every new moon, rotating through the houses/apartments of its "members," which consisted of the best and most creative minds in the Seattle area. After a few years, it finally ran out of momentum and was allowed to die its inevitable death.

Ultimately, its purpose was not to necessarily share ideas, but simply to serve as a social salon where folks with a particular common interest could chat about anything they wished. Since most of us got into magic/mentalism because we were social loners as kids, it was nice to have a "club" where we could find and talk with others of our own kind.

Personally, I think the idea of a group that meets on an occasional basis via Skype (or similar service) would be beneficial for many folks. However, there is something about meeting in person, with food and beverage available, that would be preferred (at least for this old-timer).
Sounds more social than serious or professional. Interesting about the PEA.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2017, ElliottB wrote:
Has this been cancelled? Was looking forward to bouncing some ideas. [/quote]

No, I was just waiting for this weekend to contact everyone (still the "weekend" here in AK due to the holiday).
You should have a PM in minutes.

- - -

Someone mentioned MGBT - awesome place, if a little echoey.

Jay
In my original message I just assumed people were familiar with the concept of mastermind groups. Oops. :)

Thanks to Stunninger for posting the Napolean Hill definition. And here's a short article that touches on some of the benefits of such a group:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chicceo/2013/10/21/7-reasons-to-join-a-mastermind-group/#33a6115b5deb

Local groups are better (in general) than remote, but sometimes remote is all you have...

Jay
Sorry I could not make the inaugural meeting.

A very important family matter came up.

I hope the meeting was a smashing success, and look forward to participating in the future.

Elliott
The first meeting went well, but we have room for 1 or 2 more at this time (because when people have conflicts and can't make it, it still leaves enough for a small group). We've settled on a time of Sunday at 5PM Eastern for now. PM me if you're interested.

And if you're in Europe and would like to do a similar group that's at a better time for you, PM me -- there are 1 or 2 others who are interested, but not at our "US-centric" time. :)

Jay
I'd like to take part in our helping one another. Perhaps we could be the new Arizona 6 1/2 only in Alaska.
Great meeting guys!

Patrick really hit the ball out of the park with his masterful demonstration.

Elliott
To the members of the Mastermind Group, please excuse my absence from the first meeting of which, I was to be a part. I unfortunately misunderstood, my inclusion and therefore wasn't prepared to join on Sunday. I will in fact clear all prior commitments and or responsibilities, to be a part of next week and future weeks meetings. I don't facebook and don't use a webcam but hopefully our conversations will suffice. Thank you for allowing me admittance into the group and I honestly hope, my contributions will be a welcome addition to the brain trust.

Paul
[quote]On Sep 4, 2017, IAIN wrote:
Why don't you sign up to David thiel's thing? Mind gems or something? It's not free but at least you'll be learning from experienced people... [/quote]

Thanks, Iain. I keep waiting for you to turn up there one day. :) We'd love to have you.

We designed MGBT (Mind Gems Brain Trust) to be a resource for mentalists of all experience levels to come and share information. There is the option to line up a mentor session with any of our Faculty -- which includes Richard Osterlind, Marc Salem, TC Tahoe, Atlas Brookings, Jheff and more. This puts expert eyes on whatever you need help with from designing routines or shows to marketing to...? These sessions are booked on Skype and can run anywhere from $75 to $250 each -- depending on which coach you choose.

Most of our members simply go to our Forum -- which is a great place to kick around ideas and share concepts, get feedback on ideas or projects in progress, etc. The Faculty shows up there often to post as well. There is a Members Only Resources page, Members Only discounts and more. The fee for everything -- except the mentor sessions -- has been $10 per member for the ENTIRE first year. The site isn't about making money (obviously)...it's about creating a positive place for mentalists to share ideas and help each other.

There's also a discount on "Mind Gems" -- our flagship eBook with contributions from every member of our Faculty. Jheff at Marketplace of the Mind named it one of the best releases in all of mentalism for 2016.

There's an application process. We are not about adding numbers...but are always looking for people who are serious about mentalism.

We celebrate our first anniversary on Halloween and will mark it with a complete re-design that is already in the works.

So thank you for the mention. I felt it was a good idea to let people know what we are all about.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Café.

David