(Close Window)
Topic: Best Propless Mentalism?
I curious to learn what the best propless mentalism effects that people perform are?

Thank you!
I was not much into propless until I bought PROTEUS, this is what I perform every time now. Awesome stuff

Pk touches are another favorite of mine.
Proteus is the perfect propless routine if you ask me. It's not hard to learn, digest, and perform. And with trial and error, you will be getting close to a 100% hit rate. There is a private Facebook group which has improved upon the original idea ten fold, in my opinion. And it was a Stellar book already.
What a great promotional thread for a new book/routine. Going for the "best" of anything based on an online thread would be like trying to learn to slam dunk before anything else about basketball. There is a ton of fantastic propless work out there but it would all be worthless to you if you don't know where best to use it or how to use it. Start with Psychological Subtleties by Banachek and go from there. If you need help developing find someone who works that way and get some mentoring in it.
[quote]On Aug 31, 2017, StuartPalm wrote:
What a great promotional thread for a new book/routine. Going for the "best" of anything based on an online thread would be like trying to learn to slam dunk before anything else about basketball. There is a ton of fantastic propless work out there but it would all be worthless to you if you don't know where best to use it or how to use it. Start with Psychological Subtleties by Banachek and go from there. If you need help developing find someone who works that way and get some mentoring in it. [/quote]

Stuart the guy is asking about the best propless effects. Not about where to start. I do believe as you do that he is a beginner and your advice is making sense but his question is unambiguous.
[quote]On Aug 31, 2017, tomd wrote:
Proteus is the perfect propless routine if you ask me. It's not hard to learn, digest, and perform. And with trial and error, you will be getting close to a 100% hit rate. There is a private Facebook group which has improved upon the original idea ten fold, in my opinion. And it was a Stellar book already. [/quote]

Thank you tomd and Harrybowman, I'll have to look into and purchase that!
What a great promotional thread for a new book/routine. Going for the "best" of anything based on an online thread would be like trying to learn to slam dunk before anything else about basketball. There is a ton of fantastic propless work out there but it would all be worthless to you if you don't know where best to use it or how to use it. Start with Psychological Subtleties by Banachek and go from there. If you need help developing find someone who works that way and get some mentoring in it. [/quote]

I am fairly new to propless mentalism, although I have spent a lot of time working with progressive and transgressive anagram methods. I have read some of Banachek's books, but I should definitely study them more! I was mainly trying to find new ideas for effects rather than methods, as I often just see people performing the same star sign divinations type effects and such with anagrams.

I want to get more inspiration for different types of routines and thought this might be a good place to see what other people do!

Thank you!
Not specific effects necessarily, but I really enjoy...

- CMR
- Suggestion
- Mnemonics
- Force deflection

I used to be a fan of PAs, but now I just prefer billet work.
My first Penguin Live Lecture was devoted to entirely propless effects and may be a good place to look: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5253

Best,

Atlas
[quote]On Sep 1, 2017, Conner wrote:
Not specific effects necessarily, but I really enjoy...

- CMR
- Suggestion
- Mnemonics
- Force deflection

I used to be a fan of PAs, but now I just prefer billet work. [/quote]

Thank you! I will look into these!
[quote]On Sep 1, 2017, Atlas wrote:
My first Penguin Live Lecture was devoted to entirely propless effects and may be a good place to look: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5253

Best,

Atlas [/quote]

Hi Atlas, I have a few of your books and I really enjoy them, but I will definitely look into getting your lecture! Thank you!
The best propless effect is YOU. At least, potentiallly. Better get that straight before moving on to the next part.
[quote]On Sep 1, 2017, Atlas wrote:

Best,

Atlas [/quote]

This was an awesome lecture on propless mentalism and importantly how to present it well!!
Ever Elizalde's MANOEDA.

It's a which hand routine where everything happens in the participant's mind. 100% sure fire. I use it every single day since I bought it.
Palm reading
My best propless material falls into these categories:

Pk Effects
Anagrams
Logic Based Effects
Hypno Effects
Psychological Manipulation
CMR and cold reading are as close as you can get to real mind reading. Proteus has a lot of potential but it's not easy. Neither are CMR or cold reading, of course. A beginner would be well advised to stick to simpler methods and avoid "propless" systems.

Barry
My favorite propless effects which I perform regularly:

-tequila hustler by Mark Elsdon
-your intuition, zodiac anagram, cigarette divination and spider force by Peter Turner
-Subtle hustle and train tracking by Atlas Brookings
-Quinta by Phil Smith
-Abyss and various forces from Ecrof by Ross Tyler

And recently triangulation by Matt Mello.

There are also effects which technically use props but still remain totally impromptu like:

-Your intuition, life equation and Isabella's star by Peter Turner

-Colin's version of Patrick Redford prevaricator

And various other effects you can do with coins you carry or with a borrowed phone
The best propless piece of mentalism I've seen is Train Tracking... and that's by a LONG shot.

There are other interesting propless approaches but I often feel they should be peppered into other, more classical routines to create a well rounded hybrid approach.
[quote]On Sep 2, 2017, Looch wrote:
The best propless piece of mentalism I've seen is Train Tracking... and that's by a LONG shot.

[/quote]

Atlas Brookings performing Train Tracking is a prop-less work of art.
Based on feedback from around the world, my "In Your Pocket" is incredibly effective - especially as a lead in to more complicated demonstrations.

However, 32% of responders say they will NOT perform it - either because they lack the confidence to do it, or they fear it will overshadow later demonstrations.

Yes, if you "know" it will work it does! If you have any doubts, don't do it. That alone makes it powerful (Yoda - don't try, do!)

Still free for the asking at ken@eversway.com with a commitment to feedback to me so that I can create better effects/descriptions.
Not sure if "the best" but the one I use constantly is Tequila Hustler, although I never use it as a stand alone effect rather than a something extra when performing some other closeup effect.
The most surprising and entertaining for me is hypnosis.
[quote]On Aug 31, 2017, Harrybowman wrote:

Stuart the guy is asking about the best propless effects. Not about where to start. I do believe as you do that he is a beginner and your advice is making sense but his question is unambiguous. [/quote]

Yes, I understand that. There is a long history of people who are new to forums asking for the "best" of things. This yeilds discussion and a list of things to look into as we well see, but in our arts of performance we all will have different "best" effects for any genre. So Instead of getting a long list of ideas and things to read and watch, we could better give direction if we know WHY a propless effect is the focus. What is being performed in what context in your routine or show? Let us know more on your direction and we can better give ideas.

Most of the effects being called "propless" today are best performed as a compliment to something else that usually involves some kind of prop, such as getting the star sign for a person who they are thinking of (and whose name they wrote down.) and then revealing both pieces of information.

For another direction to think on, what constitutes a prop?
"Propless." Hmmm.

Performers seem to be fascinated with 'propless' these days. You COULD endlessly probe some poor spectator and magically (and yes...I DO mean 'magically') divine the word they are thinking of after only 238 questions. You COULD also lay out an impossibly complex scenario with rules for each and every answer...and memorize the endless 'if he says this...I must do this' variations.

If you mean IMPROMPTU, I would lean toward Cold Reading or Contact Mind Reading if the group tended to be on the serious attentive side.

If it's a lighter feeling and you don't consider a piece of paper a 'prop' I'd suggest the exquisite 50:50 Fantasia by Iain Rowland or a very basic Center T*ar.

Find something you are comfortable with -- especially as a newly minted performer -- and have fun with it. There are a lot of very good options out there....many listed here in this thread.

Hopefully this is helpful...and please note I was (mostly) kidding about the BA's and complicated lie detection methods.

David
Max Maven explored this concept of propless mentalism in the "Nothing DVDs" if I'm not mistaken?
Not really. Max used props like paper, pens and envelopes that were easily available anywhere. No special magic props.
To me the so called "best" propless work is that of cold reading.

True story! To hone my chops and while living in a major metropolitan city, I would board the metro and approach ppl and just tell them about themselves. Sometimes it got me dates other time bookings but it was just a way to practice my observations skills and use my Wonder Words.

People like it when you can tell them things you shouldn't know so long, as it's not too personal.
[quote]On Sep 11, 2017, ronzo wrote:
Not really. Max used props like paper, pens and envelopes that were easily available anywhere. No special magic props. [/quote]

Are paper and pen really considered as props?

There are other interesting propless approaches but I often feel they should be peppered into other, more classical routines to create a well rounded hybrid approach. [/quote]

Looch, you believe in boot kicking people directly into the deep end I see lol.
I've never been intimidated by a piece of mentalism since digesting Train Tracking.
Hands down the absolute best purchase ever.
In a fire, some people would grab 13 Steps.
I'd grab Train Tracking.

But, this reminds me of an old quote I came across, and it applies here;

"Mentalism ain't cheap, ain't easy, ain't for beginners"
I'm with Slim on this one. Palmistry isn't terribly hard to learn, there's no "trick" to it, and you don't have to tell people what it is.

I do add a small prop in the form of a tic sheet the size of a double business card, but that's only to help me keep them short and punchy. Without it, folks can expect much longer consultations.

If you learn to read palms, you can also learn to like people more, to approach them confidently, and to relate to different walks of life with empathy. I'm not in the market, but I can see how it would be a very effective way to get a date, too.

Patrick
[quote]On Sep 29, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:
I'm with Slim on this one. Palmistry isn't terribly hard to learn, there's no "trick" to it, and you don't have to tell people what it is.

I do add a small prop in the form of a tic sheet the size of a double business card, but that's only to help me keep them short and punchy. Without it, folks can expect much longer consultations.

If you learn to read palms, you can also learn to like people more, to approach them confidently, and to relate to different walks of life with empathy. I'm not in the market, but I can see how it would be a very effective way to get a date, too.

Patrick [/quote]
Yes, but what prop-less mentalism do you like?
The Naked Mentalism books by Jon Thompson are very good IMO
Luke Jermay’s 3510 details all the work on his brilliant Touching On Hoy routine. As the name suggests it combines two fairly simple, yet extremely clever, methods to create what is, quite possibly the strongest propless mind reading routine out there. Touching on Hoy was originally published in Jermay’s The Coral Fang although, to his own admission, all of the cunning details and subtleties are laid bare in chapter 6 of 3510. There are also some new ideas that can take the routine even further. In my opinion Touching On Hoy - The Real Work is worth the price of the book in and of itself.
Touching on Hoy is also further developed in Jermay's Mind. Or rather, the further developments are explained. It's a set of methods that he has spent a lot of time and energy on.
It’s been said, and I’ll say it again: Train Tracking.

Also, when I don’t have a lot of time or I don’t want to peform T.T. yet, I’ll do Peter Turner’s Phantom Dictionary Test.
Hold me back...no, no don't hold me back...

[quote]On Mar 3, 2019, John C wrote:
Hold me back...no, no don't hold me back...

7 [/quote]

I've heard good things....(I don't think it really exists, tho)

Bryn
My new trick, The Social Prediction, is also a good propless mentalism effect. My favorite is DFB.
[quote]On Mar 18, 2019, debjit wrote:
My new trick, The Social Prediction, is also a good propless mentalism effect. My favorite is DFB. [/quote]

Can this really be described as propless?

- Ross
[quote]On Mar 18, 2019, Dr Ross wrote:
[quote]On Mar 18, 2019, debjit wrote:
My new trick, The Social Prediction, is also a good propless mentalism effect. My favorite is DFB. [/quote]

Can this really be described as propless?

- Ross [/quote]
Exactly what I was about to say.
I just reread this thread because it’s fascinating. But the whole notion of the “Best Propless Mentalism” whatever is flawed. Here’s why: what flies with one audience falls flat with another. Given that “Best” refers to “best received” ... “best” is something that will have to be tailored for that group on that particular time.

A pendulum effect will blow some people away close-up, because they feel the ‘magic’ taking place in their hand — or they see it happening right next to them. But a pendulum effect is very difficult to do well on-stage without significant AV. Things like col* read*ng nearly always work if the performer has the ability to do it properly...but it’s something that requires a lot of hard work — and frankly also requires a willingness to fail a LOT in the initial learning stages.

Cent** Tea*s (and yes, in this context I consider paper effects to be candidates for ‘propless’) are devastating — especially when twinned with a dollop of solid col* readin*.

Conta*t Mind Readi*g is also very powerful — but it really requires hard work to get right...and there’s that willing to fail thing.

Here’s my suggestion: have four or five different METHODS at your fingertips...methods you know well. Make them methods you are comfortable with. Then you have a variety of different options to draw on, combine or blend. As you play around with them, you’ll find that what you’re doing can be perfectly designed for an audience...and that what you’re actually performing transcends someone else’s routine and becomes your own.

Hope this is helpful.

David
Professional mentalists know that propless mentalism is boring and uninteresting, It might be used to enhance other effects in the show but never as the only resort for a routine. You all should read the chapter -Size Does Matter- in the book by Florian Severin, What lies inside.

Regards
[quote]On Mar 19, 2019, Mark Timon wrote:
Professional mentalists know that propless mentalism is boring and uninteresting, It might be used to enhance other effects in the show but never as the only resort for a routine. You all should read the chapter -Size Does Matter- in the book by Florian Severin, What lies inside. [/quote]
I think this is a sweeping generalisation that is far from true. I think one thing pro’s do know is that whether an effect is propless or not matters little. How it fits in the show and the impact it has on the audience is far more important than whether or not it is propless. PK touches is one area where a propless effect is neither boring nor uninteresting. Likewise I have seen some extremely good completely propless Q&A’s. The Evason’s Do practically an entire propless act (not counting a blindfold) that is one of the most entertaining Mentalism shows I have seen.

I very much doubt that many pro’s specifically care whether or not an effect is propless, this is something that I think occupies the minds of those looking for the next best thing. On stage props can be a good thing as they add a visual element to the show. I don’t mean flashy sparkly boxes with rabbits and hats on, something as simple as a large pad for a reveal is a prop, a chair is a prop.

Laymen care less about props than many of us do, in many cases the props we use are psychologically invisible so from a layman’s perspective there is rarely a difference. Laymen care about whether you are engaging, entertaining and credible rather than whether your pk touches is entirely propless or uses a hidden gimmick.

Mark
[quote]On Mar 19, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
[quote]On Mar 19, 2019, Mark Timon wrote:
Professional mentalists know that propless mentalism is boring and uninteresting, It might be used to enhance other effects in the show but never as the only resort for a routine. You all should read the chapter -Size Does Matter- in the book by Florian Severin, What lies inside. [/quote]
I think this is a sweeping generalisation that is far from true. I think one thing pro’s do know is that whether an effect is propless or not matters little. How it fits in the show and the impact it has on the audience is far more important than whether or not it is propless. PK touches is one area where a propless effect is neither boring nor uninteresting. Likewise I have seen some extremely good completely propless Q&A’s. The Evason’s Do practically an entire propless act (not counting a blindfold) that is one of the most entertaining Mentalism shows I have seen.

I very much doubt that many pro’s specifically care whether or not an effect is propless, this is something that I think occupies the minds of those looking for the next best thing. On stage props can be a good thing as they add a visual element to the show. I don’t mean flashy sparkly boxes with rabbits and hats on, something as simple as a large pad for a reveal is a prop, a chair is a prop.

Laymen care less about props than many of us do, in many cases the props we use are psychologically invisible so from a layman’s perspective there is rarely a difference. Laymen care about whether you are engaging, entertaining and credible rather than whether your pk touches is entirely propless or uses a hidden gimmick.

Mark [/quote]

Agreed. It is a well-known fact, certainly among mentalists and psychics, that what people care to hear about most is themselves. With that in mind, perhaps the LEAST boring effect you can do for someone is a reading. Or, as Mark mentioned, a propless Q&A.
Message: Posted by: Radoslav Sheytanov (Mar 20, 2019 08:52AM)
I have a anagram type think of a card trick without psychical cards . You can PM me for more information :)
It was here at The Café that I read in numerous threads over and over again, "learn a system" for giving readings. I took that advice to heart, and learned the core concepts of numerology, cartomancy and palm reading. The time invested in learning these systems was fairly minimal to grasp the basics. The real learning takes place when you start USING the systems.

Once you master a system for giving readings, you can introduce, anytime you choose, a reading aspect to your mentalism. Learning a system is incredibly powerful. And all three I've mentioned can be used entirely proplessly. For example, even with cartomancy you don't have to actually use playing cards, simply have the spectator use their intuition imagine one or several playing cards. Even if they are not familiar with playing cards (and some people are not), you can guide them, explaining the four suits, the number cards and picture cards.

"learn a system" for giving readings may be the best advice I've read here. At the very least, on the short list of best advice.
Message: Posted by: Elizabeth Brookes (Mar 20, 2019 11:15AM)
Elemental Manipulation
Branching anagrams
Readings
Hypnosis
[quote]On Mar 18, 2019, David Thiel wrote:
I just reread this thread because it’s fascinating. But the whole notion of the “Best Propless Mentalism” whatever is flawed. Here’s why: what flies with one audience falls flat with another. Given that “Best” refers to “best received” ... “best” is something that will have to be tailored for that group on that particular time.

A pendulum effect will blow some people away close-up, because they feel the ‘magic’ taking place in their hand — or they see it happening right next to them. But a pendulum effect is very difficult to do well on-stage without significant AV. Things like col* read*ng nearly always work if the performer has the ability to do it properly...but it’s something that requires a lot of hard work — and frankly also requires a willingness to fail a LOT in the initial learning stages.

Cent** Tea*s (and yes, in this context I consider paper effects to be candidates for ‘propless’) are devastating — especially when twinned with a dollop of solid col* readin*.

Conta*t Mind Readi*g is also very powerful — but it really requires hard work to get right...and there’s that willing to fail thing.

Here’s my suggestion: have four or five different METHODS at your fingertips...methods you know well. Make them methods you are comfortable with. Then you have a variety of different options to draw on, combine or blend. As you play around with them, you’ll find that what you’re doing can be perfectly designed for an audience...and that what you’re actually performing transcends someone else’s routine and becomes your own.

Hope this is helpful.

David [/quote]

Just quoting because this is great. David, your comments are always valuable and well thought out. Thanks for writing this.
Http://www.mentalismcenter.com/p/propless-mentalism.html a lot of great pdfs in here
Proteus-Phedon Bilek-Just incredible mentalism that is relatively straightforward and hits really hard. Also, any psychological forces or equivoque can be very successful for me.
[quote]On Apr 2, 2019, aabc wrote:
Proteus-Phedon Bilek-Just incredible mentalism that is relatively straightforward and hits really hard. Also, any psychological forces or equivoque can be very successful for me. [/quote]
Have you purchased this effect? I was wondering the level of skill needed for this effect.
[quote]On Apr 2, 2019, A Magic Café User wrote:
Have you purchased this effect? I was wondering the level of skill needed for this effect. [/quote]

Yes! Very doable, but it will be different for each performer. BMWGuy rates it as 2/10 (for difficulty!) on his review here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=4814
For me, frankly, the best propless mentalism is to use a prop of any sort and then to make it diminish in importance to absolutely nothing in the spectator's mind. Then I can do a fake propless mentalism effect that rocks. Seriously, I am just not cut out for propless. I like direct acquisition of knowledge, through artifice, lies, or devilish trickery. Then I can pretend it is propless. They believe it is so, so what does it matter. I apologize for not fitting in well with the mentalist community. The same way I fit in with the magic doers.
Don't apologize. Wear your individuality and ability to not succumb to "group think" like a badge of honor.
Dear Sudo,
That is the first compliment for a different approach that I have received. I am very thankful for you!!!
Peter Turner and Fraser parker for the magicians
But my favorites are hypnosis and cold reading
It all depends on what you mean by "propless". If borrowing a piece of paper or a business card does not fit your criteria, then you will find your happiness in CMR, progressive anagrams, hypnosis, cold reading, downsing, tells...
Otherwise it is possible to perform real miracles with a simple p**k or CT. You are surefire and the impression left for your audience is an impromptu effect.
Finally, there are effects that seem propless but are prepared. I'm thinking of using a n**l wr***r for example.
I’m impressed with PropNess (13Souls) and would absolutely recommend it

There are other interesting propless approaches but I often feel they should be peppered into other, more classical routines to create a well rounded hybrid approach. [/quote]

I think that this two-year-old suggestion by Looch is right on the money. I am by no stretch of the imagination a professional, but I was asked to perform a piece of mentalism at a friend's dinner party recently and, requests such as this being few and far between, I, of course, said yes. I did a routine that combined a propless not-sure-thing with one of the oldest sure-fire tricks in the book.

I began by explaining that there was no trick to what I was about to do, that I would be doing exactly what I claimed to be doing, which was getting someone to think of a card that I wanted them to think of by mere suggestion. I asked for a volunteer who believed that this was possible. For the woman who volunteered, I did Derren Brown's 3 of Diamonds psychological force from Pure Effect. She named the 3 of Spades, which was a miss but not bad.

I then said that I was a glutton for punishment and would try something even more difficult: using suggestion to get someone to think of a card over the phone. I asked the woman if she knew someone who would almost certainly pick up if she called. When she said, "Yes," I said, "This is someone with whom you feel a deep connection." This was a pretty reasonable assumption, given that she was sure this woman would lick up, but she gasped nonetheless (an easy freebie). I then tried, over the phone, to (not that subtly) force the 7 of spades on her friend. She ended up choosing the 4 of spades. By luck, I happened to have a deck of cards with one, and only one, card reversed...

The reaction was huge, and these were smart, sophisticated people. I'm convinced that the propless attempted force that I started with made the second effect land with more impact and took the heat off the inv***ble deck. Speaking of which, a brilliant and very experienced mentalist gave me a tip re the inv***ble deck, which was to make sure that the deck had been closed, boxed, and put away before revealing the card. I'm sure that this would be second nature for some of the more experienced members on here, but, for me, it was a lesson in paying attention to all the details.
Palm reading
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 17, 2019 04:05AM)
I really wonder how many people perform Train Tracking. I read it was all the hype, sold out quickly, with a wonderful 30 extra sold for a good cause by Atlas. But I never hear anyone talk about it nowadays. Is Atlas still the only one who really mastered it?
I know of at least one guy that uses it.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 17, 2019 12:34PM)
Ah. That’s good to hear. Is he a pro? And do you have any idea how he rates it in his repertoire in terms of impact, compared to his other routines?
He is a pro, for sure. He's had a couple TV shows, and often performs multiple times a week. Though I have no idea how he rates it among his act, I've never asked. I do know he doesn't use anything in his act that doesn't stand the test of time in regards to creating the impact he wants.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 17, 2019 03:27PM)
Thanks for sharing, Chris.
I use Train Tracking, but usually not in its entirety.
(First two tracks most times, mixed in with other methods.)
It’s made everything else seem easy to learn in comparison.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 18, 2019 02:01PM)
:lol: from what I've read and heard it's very hard work... and apparently not like riding a bike, you can un-learn it if you do not keep practicing... I'm curious: why only the first two tracks most times?
[quote]On Oct 18, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
:lol: from what I've read and heard it's very hard work... and apparently not like riding a bike, you can un-learn it if you do not keep practicing... I'm curious: why only the first two tracks most times? [/quote]

It was a long investment for me to learn, but that may be because I’m a bonehead..
I wouldn’t say you unlearn it, or really even forget it, so much as you (me) can become clumsy.
It’s meant to be presented in an almost off handed way as opposed to a defined checklist.
This is true of a ton of stuff though like stacks, anagrams, book tests, etc etc etc.
I don’t always use the last track with open ended word choices, or longer words, because it can be more challenging than I want to deal with.
That’s a personal decision and not a fault of the system. Even that’s avoidable mostly by limiting the length of the word though.
I tend to sprinkle it in with other effects more than using it as a stand alone presentation.
(Hope that made sense)
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 18, 2019 03:37PM)
Yeah that makes sense, thanks!
My pleasure :)