(Close Window)
Topic: Vanishing Sharpie by SansMinds Creative Lab
[youtube]d0uldZ0EflQ[/youtube]

It is a great idea, but kind of expensive...especially when you compared it to Vanishing Pen. It's almost 2x more...
I noticed when he pulls his hands back he has no sharpie ink on his hand. Am I just thinking like a magician that without some form of marker on his hand, layman may think gimmick?
I'd be more concerned about the fact that its SansMinds than the fact that there is no ink on the hand...
Really likes their pen version and always wished someone would put out a Sharpie version.
The pen was actually good. No reason to think this won't be. But the price...yeah....
55 is very steep - great effect and something I've been waiting for since Vanishing Pen - I don't think I'll take the plunge for that price.
Not for 55.00 doubt it will sell Crazy price what are they thinking ?
[quote]On Aug 31, 2017, MagicBrent wrote:
I noticed when he pulls his hands back he has no sharpie ink on his hand. Am I just thinking like a magician that without some form of marker on his hand, layman may think gimmick? [/quote]

Yes, you are just thinking like a magician. No layman will think of that. Besides, the effect is not that you crush a sharpie, it's that you vanish a sharpie. Smashing your hands together proves that the sharpie has vanished, not that it's shrinking from existence. If there WAS a mark on your hand, THEN laymen would point it out and think they somehow caught a part of your secret.

$55 for an impressive and exceptionally practical effect to perform in professional strolling situations - why are people complaining?
^ a great point...except for the price part. Just seems odd that its nearly double what they charged for the regular vanishing pen, is all.

I would have considered it otherwise. For now, I'll just stick with the flip stick or a good ol fashion up the nose vanish!
[quote]On Sep 1, 2017, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
^ a great point...except for the price part. Just seems odd that its nearly double what they charged for the regular vanishing pen, is all.

I would have considered it otherwise. For now, I'll just stick with the flip stick or a good ol fashion up the nose vanish! [/quote]

You shouldn't be comparing them, it's irrelevant! If you had to justify the price hike, here's how: A bic pen is not in a worker's pocket. A sharpie IS. Making it a sharpie has made it super workable for working pros.
Completely relevant as it is the same effect! And it's a small one at that, methinks. At least the pen was priced commensurately.

I hear you though. And I know It's all to the eye of the beholder. But, for me, since the overall effect is kind of small to begin with, I'll stick to the other, just as effective methods to vanish/manipulate a sharpie (I recommend the Pencyclopedia DVD as a great resource for all things Sharpie ).

Had this Sharpie been less, it would have been a nice impulse buy. Unfortunately, I just don't care enough about the effect to take the plunge at $55 + ship + tax.

That said, I have no doubt many others will love it and put it to good use. And if they ever tire of their copy, I will happily take it off their hands at a pre-owned price!
The pen is simply 6" of the gaff material which is probably off the shelf material, or at least pretty easy to manufacture.
The Sharpie is tapered and then has a very tapered end at the bottom. Plus, it has printing on both sides and is a particular shade of gray.
It's obviously targeted more at working pros who already carry Sharpies, otherwise just do the pen version.

But add all those extra things up and it comes out to twice as much. Although it would be great if it could be sold at the same price as the pen it still seems pretty fair to me all things considered. It's kind of like comparing a Johnson Hopping Half to custom gaff maker. You pay more for a better product that is more useable.
Https://i.pinimg.com/736x/33/a5/a5/33a5a5fc9e1beb55886e18f309ba9888--hairstylist-problems-hairstylist-meme.jpg
Lolololol. Nice one Patrick
Touche. But it wasn't thaaaat funny...c'mon ;)

I think the real humor is in spending $55+ for a Sharpie sponge.
It wasn't meant as a burn, it simply perfectly illustrated my original point. The creators are allowed to charge whatever the heck they want for their vanishing sharpie - you buy it or you don't. Creators put out products to make money, who cares how much they marked it up. That's the price, you don't get to bargain. To a worker, $55 is more than made back in one gig...

I think the real humor is in spending $55+ for a Sharpie sponge. [/quote]

Well, I do agree that as with so many of these types of gaffs, it really all comes down to how realistic the Sharpie looks.
If it looks as good in real life as it does in the video then I have no issue with the price.
But if doesn't pass muster then I'd feel ripped off if it were one tenth the price.

The main issue seems to be in comparison to the pen versions price. If the pen didn't exist I'm not sure there would be the same degree of sticker shock that some seem to be experiencing.
True. One could complain about the price of all tricks. I'm sure we have all paid over $55 for the silliest of trinkets.

Like PG said, though, the creators can indeed charge whatever so all good. I just think it was a mistake as it is no longer a quick impulse buy (for most) like the pen was.

I'm sure those who purchase it though will enjoy it.

I think the real humor is in spending $55+ for a Sharpie sponge. [/quote]

What's funny is you think it's sponge. I saw these at Magic Live. These are a rigid vinyl or something like it.
It was intended hyperbole.
Checking back to see if anyone has this and would share their thoughts and opinions.
Knowing the original vanishing pen, this would probably look nice as a production as well.
I have their vanishing pen and it's really quite good. But I agree with the others who said that the price ($55.00) is a bit high for the Sharpie version. If SansMinds plans to move any volume of this product they really should revisit the pricing.
Well, I ended up buying this and just received it today.
First impression is very, very good. I am happy I got it.

From the minute I first got the pen version way back when I wished that they would produce a Sharpie version. I felt that then they would really have something. I think there may even be an old post from the old pen thread where I stated that. Or someone else did and I agreed. So anyway, I couldn't really resist the temptation to get this one.

Granted, it is quite a bit more expensive than the pen version and I always liked the pen, but just found it difficult to work into any of my existing routines and never felt like carrying 2 extra pens around just for the one effect. So it wound up in a drawer.

But I can really see myself getting some use out of this one. I can carry this and Platt's Sharpie Quickie and have a couple non-card/coin effects always on me while taking up virtually no additional pocket space. For all intents and purposes it looks exactly like a standard Sharpie (no "Shurpie" or anything like that.)

There is a lot more detail involved with this version compared to the pen so I can accept the higher price tag. It seems to be very well made but my only concern is that because of the printing on it, there is a possibility that it could show signs of wear over time and the gaff really needs to match your other regular Sharpie reasonably well, it can't be blatantly different. But I guess only time will tell.

Assuming it holds up well enough I would say Sansmind did an incredible job producing this extremely genuine looking facsimile.
I've always said I'd rather spend twice as much and have something I can actually use, so I guess this was an opportunity to practice what I preach. :)
I loved the pen version but carrying 2 pens just for that... I think the Sharpie version is just a logical "next step". If you find a good use of it 55 is fine IMHO but just for fun yes its expensive.

Now its available at: https://www.mystiquefactory.com/products/vanishing-sharpie-dvd-and-gimmicks-by-sansminds-creative-lab

Best,
Martin
[quote]On Sep 23, 2017, videoman wrote:
It seems to be very well made but my only concern is that because of the printing on it, there is a possibility that it could show signs of wear over time and the gaff really needs to match your other regular Sharpie reasonably well, it can't be blatantly different. But I guess only time will tell.

Assuming it holds up well enough I would say Sansmind did an incredible job producing this extremely genuine looking facsimile.
[/quote]

Videoman - I can't help but notice in the trailer that the Vanishing Sharpie looks dull compared with a normal Sharpie.
Is this true in real life?
Lee, because of the type of material the gimmick is made out of, yes it can get a little dull due to handling it. But I believe you can shine it up again although I have not felt a need to do this. It is normally just slightly duller in appearance and not something I am concerned about anyone noticing, especially since the gimmick is not seen for very long and is generally in motion until you wrap it with paper. If desired, you can wrap it so almost the entire pen is covered if you are concerned about it. But personally I wouldn't worry about it.
If you hold this in view will it look suspicious? The pen I could just set on the table before going into the effect and it didn't look any different.
1 gig will pay for the high price. That makes the purchase much easier.

If the price of magic tricks go up much more I will need the same fee David Copperfield charges.
It's interesting to see how many people complaining about the price. I don't think $55.00 is unreasonable. The concern that the regular sharpie may not match the gimmicked one seems to be an easy fix. Just make the regular sharpie match the gimmicked one.
First review on Penguin so far isn't good: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S23744#reviews
I honestly don't get that Penguin review. Not sure how you could love the pen version and not like this, it's exactly the same.
It's totally fine that they don't like it, or consider it overpriced, those things are subjective. But to say it's horrible and looks nothing like a Sharpie is just so far from my own experience and opinion that it makes me think that they either got a really bad one or I got a really good one.
I've had it sitting out on my desk and have picked it up to write thinking it was an actual Sharpie at least 10 times already over the last couple weeks, and I usually consider myself to be more picky than average about these types of things. So the 1 star review really confuses me.
Good to know videoman. Thanks for sharing your experience!
The penguin review could be someone that really like it and wants to keep it away from as many people as possible.
It looks and feels perfect. You can write with it if you feel that you need to. The weight is substantial like that of a Sharpie.
I missed out on the first iteration of the vanishing pen so I cannot compare them directly. I don't think that
it will look as pristine after a few months of use (hoping that it makes it to at least 4 months) but even then I'll just
transition to a, "Oh, This Sharpie is running out of ink and is starting to look a little worn." as a motivation for the vanish.
Quite happy with this.
Message: Posted by: Infographicmagicreviews (Oct 13, 2017 03:02PM)
I don't own this effect but in general I would never believe a review from a person that is not a verified buyer. Penguin has that icon function for a reason

[quote]On Oct 11, 2017, Phatmeat wrote:
First review on Penguin so far isn't good: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S23744#reviews [/quote]
[quote]On Oct 13, 2017, JosephKerr wrote:
It looks and feels perfect. You can write with it if you feel that you need to. The weight is substantial like that of a Sharpie.
I missed out on the first iteration of the vanishing pen so I cannot compare them directly. I don't think that
it will look as pristine after a few months of use (hoping that it makes it to at least 4 months) but even then I'll just
transition to a, "Oh, This Sharpie is running out of ink and is starting to look a little worn." as a motivation for the vanish.
Quite happy with this. [/quote]

So you can also write with this pen? If that's the case I will be buying one soon?
I'd use the term "write with it" very loosely. You can only write with it in the same way that you can "write" with many other Sharpie gaffs.
Not to mention that if you ink it up you'll likely get ink all over your hand(s) when you cause it to vanish.
I wouldn't buy it thinking you can write like a normal Sharpie.
:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Besides, if you make it vanish shouldn't the ink vanish too?
Vanishing Sharpie – Sansminds Creative Lab

Product description : To be fair, I don’t like Sansminds, I don’t like their marketing approach, I don’t like the fact they lie on trailers, I don’t like many of their tricks. However, they have something called the “Worker Series” which has many good products, which can really be performed in the real life, not just on video. The Vanishing Sharpie is one of them, they have released the Vanishing Pen a long time ago, and people have asked for a Sharpie version of it. It’s now reality and really well made ! The idea is simple, put a pen between 2 layers of a napkin and just crush it in a ball, showing that the Sharpie has disappeared !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $55 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : You get a quite big DVD case, with a nice artwork and of course the “Worker Series” label which should be the only things you buy from Sansminds ! Inside, you’ll find a DVD, really well made with several live performances as well as the explanations. It’s well shot, well edited, simple and to the point, really refreshing to see this kind of DVD ! You’re also getting the gimmicked Sharpie which is amazing, I have no other word : it looks like a real one, if I’m placing it next to a regular Sharpie, you can’t tell which one is which. I’m really surprised with the quality they achieved, it’s an awesome work. Overall, the price is a step but the material you receive feels great and will work perfectly well !

Teaser :

[youtube]d0uldZ0EflQ[/youtube]

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
– As I said, the price may be considered as a step, it’s not cheap but for the quality of what you receive, I understand why it’s priced so high.
– If you want the Sharpie to write, you’ll have to load it before each performance. I don’t think the writing phase is needed but you’re warned.
– I saw that some printing of “Sharpie” on the gimmick can be erased after some performances, I don’t have this problem but it’s something that can happen.

THE PROS :
– Wow, the Sharpie really looks like a true one, that was my main fear with this, would the gimmick looks and “feels” like a real marker. And I can tell you 100% yes, it’s amazing.
– You don’t only get the grey part but also the nib and the black part of the Sharpie, which adds to the realness of the trick.
– The vanish of the pen is instant and really powerful, people are reacting really well to it ! They don’t know what to expect and they’re completely surprised when you slam the pen in the napkin they’re holding.
– It doesn’t take that much pocket space, just carry the gimmick with you, you just have to use a regular Sharpie for your regular routines and then you can just pull out the gimmick to freak everyone out.
– People can feel the ends of the gimmick so they can confirm it’s a real Sharpie, not something made out of foam for example, I do think this is a nice little convincer.
– I really like the routine provided, the way they switch the real Sharpie for the gimmick is really good in my opinion !

Overall rating : This has to be the best Sansminds product I’ve seen in a long time, I’m really pleased with it and I can see a lot of people using it, 3.5/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, this is pretty much self-working, I would say 1/5 stars.

Similar products : The Vanishing Pen by Sansminds is a really good trick too ! You could combine both version.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
I just ordered mine and hoping it looks realistic. :)
Any more reviews on the durability of this? Wondering if after a few months if it still holds up.
Just bought one, latter I give my review.
I feel like the items of most value to me from Sansminds is Armando Lucero's Papercuts.. and well, this!

$55 is definitely a high price, but the sharpie appears as real as can be. Sometimes I even pick it up thinking it is a real sharpie. I have found it very difficult to create a script for it around it as a standalone effect. However, the effect can easily be a part of a bigger routine, switching the sharpie in seems hard, but it looks so real it flies over fine. Complaints of the ink not being on your hand, that is mentioned, it CAN have ink. Though, I strongly believe it is much better without the ink.

Is it worth the price? Well, it is durable, very deceptive, and the actual method of it is very simple and straightforward. One issue with my gimmick is that very very slightly the Sharpie picture has faded after around 87 performances. I do use it a lot though, I think this is very much worth the price. Seems expensive but it is a very reliable and usable piece of wonder.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jul 17, 2019 01:07PM)
I just have a tough time purchasing items from Sansminds. They have/had such huge ethics issues, treated one of their creators badly (or it seemed that way), and have non-existent customer service. I have been here at the Café for a long time; the list of grievances with Sansminds shoddy business practices rival Wolf on Wall Street. I can rattle off a long list but I won't waste anyone's time rehashng the past. The remarkable thing is, a lot of their former customers and observers here at the Café can list a long list as well.

There is a reason why Will Tsai and the Sansminds Customer Experience person(look in the Armando Lucero Papercuts thread) don't hop on the Café anymore when there is a new product released.

Full exposure: I do have the Vanishing Ring box and think it is absolutely brillant. Yes, I knew what I was buying IN SPITE the trailer cuts, sales puffery, etc. My Vapr works only due to Propdog's hack, BUT I haven't fired up Vapr in over a year. So, who knows? If it didn't work, Sansminds are not gonna back up their products anyway. They are the polar opposite of Joao Miranda who is dedicated to supporting his products. I also have their earlier products: Imagine by G and Rubik's Nightmare by Michael Lam.

I would think long and hard before plopping down any of your hard earned money with Sansminds. That is why I was privately concerned for those magicians that paid for the Vapr Watch when it was first teased. Man, oh man!