(Close Window)
Topic: How's Magic Inc doing?
During this year I have sent two email requests to Magic Inc in Chicago; one in January regarding a book (that was out of stock) and one in August in which I enquired about the shipping cost for one of their books (overseas). So far I have had no response. I think it's sad that a shop like Magic Inc with an interesting product line (I like books) doesn't reply to emails from it's (prospective) customers. Such lack of agility is often a sign of a business about to close down. Does anyone in here have inforation about the health of Magic Inc?
I don't think unfounded rumors are a good thing.
I agree with Dannydoyle.

Peder Anderson: DON'T DO THAT.
Unfounded rumors? My experience is very real. I just wondered if any one knew if anything is going on at Magic Inc that prevents them from answering e-mails.
Saying it might be a sign of a business about to close down is not cool. You can always call them.
[quote]On Sep 13, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Saying it might be a sign of a business about to close down is not cool. You can always call them. [/quote]
He's in Sweden.
Skype or Facebook. Better than unfounded rumors isn't it?
...Or ask here on the Café.
Sure ask how to get in touch, but a sign of a business about to close? Would you want someone speculating like that about your business online? I think it is not cool is all. You guys think it is perfectly fine. No biggie.

We think it is disrespectful. You find it ok. Like I said no biggie.
[quote]On Sep 1, 2017, Peder Andersson wrote:
During this year I have sent two email requests to Magic Inc in Chicago;

one in January regarding a book (that was out of stock)

and one in August in which I enquired about the shipping cost for one of their books (overseas). [/quote]

Maybe it is the opposite of what you are implying. Perhaps business is booming and they don't have time to try and figure out when an out of stock book will be available again or to take an overseas order for a single book.
:nose:

Everyone understands your irritation... It is your jumping to extreme conclusions that they found odd. The problem could be as innocent as your Swedish email ending up in their spam folder. A while back I had emails from a Canadian friend blocked by my computer for some reason.
It seems their policy is not to respond to emails and inquiries. A poor way to do business, but that is how they are. They will not even respond to telephone calls, or look anything up. Sandy Marshall, Jay Marshall's son inherited the business, and he and his wife running it. I don't think they ever worked in the magic business before, as when I called, they did not bother to answer any of my questions, or know what I was talking about, even after I explained what I was inquiring about.

Several years later, after one of my enquiries, they must have been curious, as they resurrected the trick and sold it for a while. No they never contacted me, I just happen to stumble across it while checking on other tricks.

I heard they saw the business as a "gold mine", and decided to run the business themselves.

They have relocated the business, and extended it with more lectures and events then ever done previously.

They are continuing to publish books as well.

I think the poor design of their website tells a lot about their knowledge of magic. Just no descriptions of what they are trying to sell to you.

Sad, but it seems they are only interested in the income generated, they have little intention to do more.