(Close Window)
Topic: How do you sell physical DVDs of the show that night?
Hi all,

For those of you who sell physical discs of the show for BOR the same night as the show, how do you burn all of the discs in time?

I'm familiar with the process of mailing the DVDs to customers once they're burned, but surely some of you more tech-savvy workers will have figured out a way to sell the physical discs right there.

Thank you for any tips.
Try USB drives.

OR if you want to be really clever send them a link they can download.

This way you can put titles on it and edit it nicely. If it has to be done instantly you can use the camera output directly into your computer. Have a template with the titles on it.

Why do you need to do it that night?

Also DVD tech is starting to go the way of the T-Rex.
Digital downloads are definitely on my radar and I want to become more proficient with downloads (especially for audio downloads). And USBs are an option, I'm just not fond of giving them a crude file (which can be distributed freely) without any of the flair of a DVD case and disc label--all of which can include attractive promo information.

Right now I'm just trying to optimize the status quo. It's my experience that customers like having a physical product they can hold once they've parted with their money. One of the most popular things to sell is the video of the show. So the more I am able to reward customers with a physical copy on the night, the better they can feel about buying it.

DVDs are sufficiently ubiquitous enough to be purchased regularly by attendees. But no doubt, once DVDs are gone I'll change with the times.

I'm sure there are ways to burn multiple copies on the night, just not familiar with the process.
Multiple copies at the same time would require multiple burners. That can be done, but you'll probably have to design the computer yourself. Many motherboards don't have nearly the amount of expansion slots they used to. Of course, you could get USB DVD burners and daisy chain it, but I feel like that's just asking for technical troubles.
Couple of thoughts.

People are not buying the thing because it if you, or because it looks pretty. They are buying it because uncle Fred is in the site.

DVD'S are on the way out very quickly. All that stuff you want in their hands costs you money. Odds are the DVD itself will be tossed after a copy is made.

Burners wear out.

I have NEVER had people say oh I'd have bought one of I got a physical copy of it instead of a download.

I don't think the case is as important as the final product. Without titles and without proper editing it will look cheap to those watching. The only ones seeing the cover is those who buy it so there is s trade off.

Carrying all the stuff needed to burn multiple copies is very tough. It is a lot of work to be a couple formats behind the times. May as well give them a VHS copy.

Also it is far less of an investment to send links in email than to burn DVD on site.

Many under 30 may not have a DVD drive in the computer or anywhere.

Just random thoughts. Not telling you to do it or not. But I do about 200 shows a year or so. Even selling them is tougher that it used to be with the advent of cell phone tech.

They will probably make a better copy than you.
I have 2 live to DVD recorders that finalize during the end of my show (takes about 3 minutes to finalize). Then I have a dvd duplicator that can make 3 DVDS in just under 5min.
Eventually I will have to move to USB as well, but for now, the majority of my crowd wants DVDS
Sounds like you've got hands-on experience with this, Kevin. Thanks for sharing. Eight minutes total for three DVDs and five minutes for every three DVDs thereafter sounds like a promising start. What kind of equipment do you use?
Conner,

I'm not near my theater do I cant give you specific brands but basically:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMR-EZ28-DVD-Recorder-With-Remote/222653739962?epid=114231309&hash=item33d73273ba%3Ag%3A7hIAAOSwr1pZxU-o

and

https://www.amazon.com/Produplicator-Duplicator-Essentials-Standalone-Duplication/dp/B003PHR42W/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506126536&sr=1-3&keywords=dvd+duplicator+1+to+3

like I said, I'm not at the theater so I doubt those are the exact ones I use but that gives you the idea.

You should join us for the No BS Hypnosis Convention in Vegas Fab 9-11. We'll be talking about marketing and back of the room sales a lot!
Kevin, so you go directly out of a digital camera into this DVR? You use two just to have 2 copies? Can one full show fit on one blank DVD without editing? Do you do any editing or add intros or outros?

Here's the duplicator I use: http://www.ezdupe.com/Product.php?str=Studio-RackMount-Duplicator-RK9TDVDB
Mindpro,

I go from the camera into the DVR. Full show. DVDs can hold 2hrs I max out at 90min. No editing, its the live show.
Mindpro,

I go from the camera into the DVR. Full show. DVDs can hold 2hrs I max out at 90min. No editing, its the live show.

*** I go from the camera to the dvr, dvr to dvr, dvr to monitor so I can see it recording and make sure there is no errors
Do you add titles ?
Nope.

The name of the show is on the case and the DVD
Thank you all for the links. That 9 DVD duplicator looks very nice.
The 9 is nice. I sell 3-5 DVDs a night so the 1master - 3duplicates is great for me. Also, it's a lot less bulky for me if I have to do a corporate gig or comedy club.
When I visited Las Vegas recently all the video's they were distributing were digital USB sticks. What format would you use on a USB stick that would be considered viewable to most of the public
M4V is probably the most versatile format. Native format for mobile devices, Apple machines, and PCs can play it no problem.
Burn them the night before and have them shrink wrapped and in full view of the audience throughout the show. The ultimate modern mentalism effect. I'm sure someone here has ideas on the method.
[quote]On Dec 31, 2018, NightSG wrote:
Burn them the night before and have them shrink wrapped and in full view of the audience throughout the show. The ultimate modern mentalism effect. I'm sure someone here has ideas on the method. [/quote]

I would not put a magic trick in the show. That is all this is.

I spend 2 hours showing the difference in what I do and magic "tricks" and I would not want the last impression left with them some magic trick they can figure out pretty easily.
[quote]On Sep 20, 2017, kevinuncanny wrote:
Eventually I will have to move to USB as well, but for now, the majority of my crowd wants DVDS [/quote]

Maybe your shows are different and I'm in the UK so theatres may be run differently BUT:

After 5 minutes of me saying "Goodnight!" the audience has left and the cleaners want to know how long I'm going to be.

If I'm only selling 3 to 6 DVD per show, that would even pay for the person I would need to hire to run it as I'm on stage.
[quote]On Sep 23, 2017, kevinuncanny wrote:
Mindpro,

*** I go from the camera to the dvr, dvr to dvr, dvr to monitor so I can see it recording and make sure there is no errors [/quote]

Do you have crew running this? Camera person? Person monitoring the burning? These cost money and 3 DVD per show won'y pay for that.

You say that you monitor it to make sure that it's recording properly? What do you do if it isn't? You have a show to do no time to run off and sort out a 20 minute technical issue.

I just can't see this working.
Hi Shrubsole,

No crew running it. If it goes down during the show (which has happened maybe 3 times in 9 years) I don't sell the DVDs that night.

As far as the crowd leaving, besides selling the DVD's I also make myself available for pictures and to answer questions. I usually end up doing that for about 15-20min after a show.
No disrespect to Kevin in by any means but I have tried his type of system and had problems with it. Pixelization problems to be specific. All copies would have pixelization, sometimes momentarily, other times where it would freeze the replay. It occurred mostly on the main DVD-R recording. If I looped several others to it, it of course, continued on those as well. I always chalked this up to the fact that there were no time-base correctors or stabilizers as part of this recording system.

Also, I have a few things relative to my performance markets and insurance that requires the induction (or majority of it) to be omitted from the DVD recordings, so the set it and forget it option doesn't work for me.

I also don't care for the unmanned camera on a tripod recording. To me, it must be operated to include close-ups, zooms in and out, pans, focus, etc. - especially if they are paying $30 for it. So I always use a camera operator.

We typically sell 15-40 per show, and like Kevin, a large group always gathers around wanting to buy, ask questions, get autographs or photos ( I create this anticipation from the stage). In fact, there is often a mad dash to get to the merch/meet & greet table. This can usually run 30-40 minutes following the show. I never had a cleaning crew come in during this time. My rider specifically says this is considered part of the performance.

I think there are two actual issues here, based on Shrubsole's posts - 1.) the system you have for recording, dups, and delivery, and 2. How you position the sale/opportunity of these DVDs. In my market, there are 3 different targets for DVD sales and I make sure all are properly positioned and promoted to as part of each performance. (I also can do another 10-25 advance DVD sales before I ever even get to town for the performance. Several strategies are utilized to achieve this anticipation, environment, and results.
I've never had pixelation issues. I am going to be trying something new where the camera is in the back of the room and the recording equipment is backstage. Not sure if it is going to work as that may cause some issues but I will let you know how it goes.
Yes, please keep us posted. Can I ask what DVD-R you are using?
I'm not in my showroom so I don't know.

I know it is NOT the one I'm linking, but it is SIMILAR to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-EZ28K-Recorder-1080p-Upconversion/dp/B0014F7Z94/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
Again I mention it is the 21st century and the DVD is going the way of the T-Rex. Many if not a majority of computers don't even have DVD capabilities when sold today.

It ads expense for no good reason.

I also am not a fan of the steady cam system, but use it often.