(Close Window)
Topic: Purchased Card Mats...
Experts,

I'm only 75% sure this is the correct sub-forum, so...

In performing & doing videos, thin fabric (sometimes called "close-up") mats (rubber backed) are a utility/tool that is quite nice and useful. I see 3 types: Home Made, Good Purchases, Bad Purchases. I have experience with the latter 2.

I have purchased several cheapie eBay Chinese mats, and noticed something they all have in common (beyond the industrial adhesive odor): They have a 'grain' that goes one-way. Hard to describe, but passing your hand over the fabric in one direction is a completely different experience to passing it the other way. It's like the 'grain' goes in one direction. Weird! I sprung for an UltraPRO that is like 20" or so wide, and thought so much of it I bought it a nice tube to live in. The others are now stinky mousepads at best.

Everyone has a preference in size(s) they use for videos, show & practice, so I'm not asking about that... but rather things like:

Where has your money been best spent on a mat?
Does money always buy quality?
What brands have never let you down?
Have you ever found great material by the yard? What was it called?

TIA!
Well, I have to respond to this! Go to www.pattricksmagic.com for a look at some darn good mats ( in my humble opinion )Thank you.
Q: Does the Watson/Bill Abbott Pack Smart Table come with the magic assistant shown? :)
Pattrick is the man. I have purchased several mats from him; and will purchase more in the future. He also does custom work. You will be 100% satisfied.
Tap, That Mat was originally made for the Bill Abbott pack smart table with smaller radius corners to match the table top. However since then it has been popular as a mid size mat with our regular corner radius. My friend Bruce Kalver was photographing the Mat for some reason when his dog Watson decided to take a rest. He sent me the picture and I thought it was funny and I renamed the Mat “The Watson”.
Pattrick does make BEAUTIFUL mats. I have several and they work great.
The Gibson mats have been the standard in Close-up pads to use in the performance of magic for the last 50 years. They make a huge selection, and you can view them at www.tricksupply.com . In their search engine, type Gibson Close-up pad, plan to spend some time browsing.

Huge selection in color, size and quality. It is the Close-up pad of the pros.
Some people use cloth placemats and they work just fine.
This is THE BEST closeup mat I have found in my entire life performing as a Magician:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S3647
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Apr 18, 2018 08:41AM)
[quote]On Jan 31, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The Gibson mats have been the standard in Close-up pads to use in the performance of magic for the last 50 years. They make a huge selection, and you can view them at www.tricksupply.com . In their search engine, type Gibson Close-up pad, plan to spend some time browsing.

Huge selection in color, size and quality. It is the Close-up pad of the pros. [/quote]

Growing up in NH I was lucky enough to spend time with Wendel Gibson and watch the amount of pads that he produced out of his little shop. EVERYONE had a Gibson pad ( I still have 2 ).

I'm so glad that someone has taken over that production, I thought they were no longer available. I may have to order a couple more!

Mark

Thank you Bill for the