(Close Window)
Topic: Best reel for heavy stuff
Which is the best available reel who can handle also heavier stuff? looking for a quality product that is also easy to maintain.
The Key-Bak brand reels are the best to and easiest to convert to a great heavy duty magic reel.

milesart, did not say what he considers "heavier stuff", and how he intends to use it.

Right now, there are no magic reels being made, except by some gimmicked coin company, that is not in the U.S.

Reels are invisible gimmicks to the audience. The heavier the object, the thicker the line. All the power in the world is of no use, if the line can handle the weight.

Maybe just a simple elastic pull will work best for your purpose.

Currently in magic there are 4 types of pulls: elastic, pendulum, hold out aka invisible hand, and finger, locking, and converted reels.
Has anyone tried this reel , the Perfect Reel (locking) by Premium Magic ? --

https://www.daytonamagic.com/perfect-reel-locking-black-line.html

It says:

[quote]Features...

Strong line

Compact design

Silent

Multiple uses[/quote]

I would appreciate a review if anyone has this item. Is the locking mechanism reliable ? How silent is "silent" ? (most reels seem to need some tweaking to make them silent , although for my purposes I don't plan on using a reel close-up , so as long as it is reasonably quiet it will probably work for me).

------

Thinking about locking reels, there is this new product from Key-Bak -

https://www.keybak.com/collections/new-products/products/ratch-it-retractable-ratcheting-tether

Note the description:

[quote] [b]Just pull the retractor to the desired length and the cord will lock in place.[/b] With an easy tug on the cord, the reel unlocks and retracts. [/quote].

Probably not quiet , but there may be things that can be done to adapt it to dampen the noise.

How about this?

http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=82
[quote]On Jun 21, 2018, Dougini wrote:
How about this?

http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=82 [/quote]

I've got one of those . It will move a silk across the stage (drop it , walk away from it , it jumps to your hand or into a hat at your command) .

It won't move anything heavy .
What about one of those dog reels, they come in different sizes?
The PythonPull advertises that it can pull 12oz. It is Non-locking and the manufacturer discloses that it is noisy and not suitable for close-up.
Forgot to mention that the 12oz pull is for the strongest one of their offerings.
Best I have ever seen is a Thornton Windlass marketed by the old Kantner's magic Company.

Built like a tank.....and could probably pull a tank across the stage!

Good luck finding one.......
David Todd - you asked about the Premium reel. On day one the cable on mine retracted at speed and broke! I returned it to the retailer who said he too was not satisfied with the quality and gave me a full refund.
[quote]On Aug 31, 2018, Rainboguy wrote:
Best I have ever seen is a Thornton Windlass marketed by the old Kantner's magic Company.

Built like a tank.....and could probably pull a tank across the stage!

Good luck finding one....... [/quote]

A Thornton Windlass has as long as a 30+ foot long fine thread. It contains a weak duplex spring mechanism. It is NOT strong and will not pull a tank across the stage - a light weight silk is the limit. These reels show up at auctions a couple times per year and end up selling for $100-$200 depending upon the usual factors. There are strong reels but a Thornton is not one of them. Do a google search.
Magic Researcher, I believe you are being modest. The line should be in the 60 to 80 feet in length. If you have one, then it need to be refurbished.
[quote]On Oct 7, 2018, maklakmak wrote:
David Todd - you asked about the Premium reel. On day one the cable on mine retracted at speed and broke! I returned it to the retailer who said he too was not satisfied with the quality and gave me a full refund. [/quote]

Have to ask if you had something attached to the Premium Reel. As no reel should be retracted without the end of the line being held, or something attached to the line. All finger and locking magic reels will break if this rule is not adhered to.
David Todd has not responded, meaning he did not have anything attached to the reel. If I was the dealer, I would never have refunded his money, He broke on purpose and cost the dealer for his actions.

Some people should never be allowed to touch anything, as everything they touch breaks.
[quote]On Mar 9, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
David Todd has not responded, meaning he did not have anything attached to the reel. If I was the dealer, I would never have refunded his money, He broke on purpose and cost the dealer for his actions.

Some people should never be allowed to touch anything, as everything they touch breaks. [/quote]

Bill, after reading the quote in which you asked if something had been attached, David Todd was being addressed by maklakmak.
Twas maklakmak that failed to answer. Has David Todd just been hit with friendly fire?