(Close Window)
Topic: Performing the Q & A by Gerry McCambridge
Hi, I'm surprised to learn that Gerry McCambridge has published a book about the Q & A.
If someone reads it, please share your review.

http://mentalist.com/mentor

Regards
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Mark!

IMHO Gerry has one of the most entertaining and hard-hitting Q&A acts that I've ever experienced live (and I've been lucky enough to see some of the best in the business perform their versions).

Best,

Drew
I saw Gerry's show in Vegas a couple of years ago, and it was wonderful. His Q&A was outstanding and great to see live.
I'm also very interested and waiting for a review. Thanks for the heads up.
Can someone at least describe what it looks like? He blindfolds himself and feel the written questions psychometric style? That's the picture I'm getting reading the description, but I haven't found reviews so far.
Gerry spends up to a good 30-40 minutes of his act doing his blindfolded Q&A. This book delves deeply into many aspects of this. You have the general idea.
Wow, just wow.

147 pages of gold.

I understand why Banachek wrote such a strong endorsement for this book.

One of the world's most successful mentalists, explaining his complete Q&A routine and methodology in detail.

Simply outstanding.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Can anyone tell me if this is reliant on using a blindfold?
Meaning; I've never worked with one, and not sure that I'd like to.
But, always looking for usable QA material.
(Scott Creasey's Q@A is absolutely worth a look btw)
Thanks.

Side note; Just picked up Lewis LeVals ICAIS1@2, along with his Carney Cartomancy.
Some hypnotists may think ICAIS is overly remedial. Maybe, but I found quite a lot of useful information regardless.
Definitely recommended.

252Stuffed
I've not picked this up yet - but I've had the pleasure of seeing Gerry perform his Q&A live on several occasions and can certify that he does indeed use a blindfold. I'm sure that you'll still glean A LOT of useful touches on pacing and deliver from this release that would translate well to any Q&A.

Best,

Drew
[quote]On Nov 23, 2017, DrewBstoss wrote:
I've not picked this up yet - but I've had the pleasure of seeing Gerry perform his Q&A live on several occasions and can certify that he does indeed use a blindfold. I'm sure that you'll still glean A LOT of useful touches on pacing and deliver from this release that would translate well to any Q&A.

Best,

Drew [/quote]
Does what you say mean that you must use a blindfold, or can the routine be done without one?
I very much enjoyed this book.

If your new to Q&A or even a seasoned performer you should find something of use in the book. It would be difficult to learn how to do Q&A by just simply reading a book but this provides a great foundation for learning the basics and also presents strategies to start exploring methods that will work best for you. The techniques and routines will provide enough information so you do not have to learn by fire - although that may not be such a bad way to do it too - as experience is a great teacher.
Gerry uses a blindfold but I asked him at MINDvention a couple weeks ago and he said there was material in there for smaller audiences and sans blindfold also.

He said that it took you from a tricycle to a Mac truck and you can stop anywhere you want along that spectrum.
Just bought this should have it for xmas and ill review it soon
[quote]On Dec 17, 2017, BMWGuy wrote:
Just bought this should have it for xmas and ill review it soon [/quote]

Looking forward to it! I'm particularly interested in how much he goes away from the main method, specially what is done in different venues. That's why I haven't bought it yet.
Has anyone received this yet and had a chance to look it over?

Thanks!
Jerry
Hi Jerdunn,

I will have reviewed this in about 1 week.

I will have it by Saturday this week. Hope to read it and post a review for those interested in purchasing.

Im excited, since I have personally seen Gerry's show in Las Vegas and it was a breath of fresh air. Very good mentalism!

Stay tuned......

Alex
Got my order in. Really looking forward to reading this. Christmas gift to myself. :)
I read it in 2 days! :-)
I too have seen Gerry McCambridge do his Q & A in Vegas and may do so again this January because the show is great. However, I have also recently seen Luke Jermay do his Q & A and it it's the best I have seen so if he ever releases that . . . . . I will certainly be getting that as well as Gerry's book.

#justsayin'

Bob
What do you mean that Luke's is the best that you have seen, why?
Okay. If no one else dares to say it, I will: I am disappointed.

I bought it from Penguin and read through the whole 147 largely printed pages over the Christmas Days. As someone who doesn’t know a whole lot about Mr. McCambridge and who has never seen his act, I now STILL DON’T KNOW what his Q&A looks like. I have a rough idea, but not more.
The author spends a lot of time (about a third of the book) about how he got to the point where he is now, and even describes some of the routines that helped him get there. But having got there, he leaves me more with scattered details about his current act than with a coherent picture.

I am currently building my own Q&A act, and have read and watched a lot of the currently available material. So, I am primarily interested in the following two questions:

1. What is the structure of Mr. McCambridges act and what can I learn from it?
2. What is his advice on answering the questions.

As stated above, question 1 is not being answered for me - at least not in a way, that I can understand. Several times, he refers to his “improvisational Q&A” (which apparently is his current act) but gives no further details about its the structure. You might reply that this is the nature of an improvisational act. But having a major in music and having studied a lot of jazz magic and mentalism, I know that “improvisational” ususally means, that you HAVE a structure and you VARY it.

Question 2 is addressed, but only in a very superficial way – Basic Counseling 101. From someone who has 4000 shows under his belt I would have expected more insight.

One of the reviewers above wrote: “If your new to Q&A or even a seasoned performer you should find something of use in the book.”
This sounds like a strength, but in my view this is a weakness of the book. Its author doesn’t seem to know whom he actually wants to address. Some aspects are explained in very great detail (the dual reality) almost like it’s a beginner’s book. Other things (e.g. acquiring and using information per Preshow) are only hinted at with several methods being named but no further details as when and how to incorporate this information in the act. This may seem obvious to the author but for me as a reader it is not.

This is probably not a bad book for someone who knows Mr. McCambridges act and wants to learn a couple of more details about it. If you are a “seasoned pro” some of the info might be of use to you. A lot certainly isn’t, because as a seasoned pro you won’t need it anymore.
For a beginner I would not recommend this book, because central aspects that are necessary for doing a Q&A act are not being addressed in a satisfactory way.

Summarizing, this book leaves me with the weird impression that Mr. McCambridge wanted to write a book about his Q&A, but at the same time doesn’t have a lot of interest in anyone performing (his) Q&A. So, essential information – the kind that interests the advanced reader – ends up not being revealed.
I have never seen McCambridge perform but I have read the book. I too was a bit disappointed with it. Most of it is common sense and a rehash of information one can find elsewhere. I was hoping for truly unique insights and ideas from a seasoned veteran performer of QA. To his credit, McCambridge does present three different approaches to QA for different skill levels. The third is ostensibly what he performs now and is apparently what has blown away many performers which in turn motivated them to write here and elsewhere that his book on QA would be a 'must have'. From my perspective though this third approach is quite convoluted. It supposedly is an advance over prior approaches. But to be honest, it is seems needlessly complex unless, of course, your goal is to fool fellow performers. I cannot recommend this book to any but advanced QA performers for which it might have some limited value.
Hey guys,
I will have to agree on the above.

Read it in one day.

Sold it on the 3rd day.

its not necessarily bad, but I have done different Q&As including Osterlinds Thought Scan, Final Answer, using TBC Box, and more, and though the part on blindfolding was good, everything else was very basic.

Kind of like Q&A 101, for someone that wants to start doing it.

He gives 3 ways, and the last one Triple Match is good, if you want to do a 4th dimensional telepathy type of effect, not a full blown Q&A hence my reason for selling it.

I thought he was going to divulge everything, and I was curious, but though the theory in the book is insightful, didn't really get much out of the book.

For a beginner just starting, this book is a good resource, to read and begin your knowledge of Q&A, but you might have to invest in other tomes or videos to learn more about Q&A.

For me best Q&A is Scott Creaseys Q&A Evolution, best bang for your buck and easy to do, and you will be performing a full Q&A Act with enough practice

Alex
I truly enjoyed Gerry's book and got a lot out of it. That said, I agree with Alex that Scott Creasey's Q&A Evolution is the go-to resource for someone wanting to start performing a full Q&A act. In addition to teaching a very deceptive way to get the information, Q&A Evolution provides a framework for how to answer questions using a simplified Tarot and numerology model.
I have read reviews of Jermay and McCambridge's shows and as far as I can tell there is nothing new or original that they do.
If you would like to perform a Q&A act or as some prefer to call it "audience reading" act, than you should start with the work of Annemann, Corinda, Nelson, Hull etc.
Then listen to the three seminars that Bob Cassidy did on the subject and watch his masterclass lecture.
After that? read and study everything else!
Thanks to all for the helpful reviews!
As many fellow Café members already know (but perhaps not all), Gerry Mccambridge is slated to present his ACT on Penguin Live tonight. Looking forward to it.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10911
If someone would like to sell their used copy of his book I would be interested.

Thanks

Doc