(Close Window)
Topic: What Christmas effects do you recommend?
Can anyone recommend any good Christmas tricks for sell?
:xmastree:
[quote]On Nov 9, 2017, Dynamike wrote:
:xmastree: [/quote]

I'm confused.

Are you asking which tricks we are selling, or which tricks we've already purchased/use/recommend to other performers?

- Donald
[quote]On Nov 9, 2017, Donald Dunphy wrote:
[quote]On Nov 9, 2017, Dynamike wrote:
:xmastree: [/quote]

which tricks we've already purchased/use/recommend to other performers?

[/quote]
That one.
Here are some tricks that I've used in my Christmas shows over the years:

Axtell Magic Drawing Board (Santa sings a Christmas song)
Christmas Lights Silks (I think this set is from Practical Magic -- it's a tree that colours in, and then gets decorated with lights... uses several silks and a d'lite as a part of the routine)
Santa Hat Tear
Big Bag 'O Blitzen (Mike Bent & Wonder Imagery co-project)
Santa and his Elves (version of Stop Light Trick)
Clatter Box with a Christmas silk
Flash Appearing Christmas Banner (Tommy James)
Poinsettia Botania (Hughes Magic) & Poinsettia Sleeve Bouquets (Hughes Magic)
Visible Colour Painting, Christmas Tree insert (I have the version by Hank Lee which hasn't been available for years, but there's a newer version from Ickle Pickle Magic)
Harmony (Christmas version of the "Match Them For Us Now" trick, from Duane Laflin Christmas Magic book)
Candy Cane Caper (Clippo type of routine sold years ago)
Santa Silk Blendo (David Ginn silk set)
Ring in Nest of Boxes (patter about 5 Golden Rings from 12 Days of Christmas)
Appearing and Vanishing Coke Bottle (This! silks and Vanishing Coke)
Rubber Chicken Cards (my Christmas adaptation of David Ginn's Lobster Cards. He shared my routine in his Christmas Magic lecture notes.)
Pizza Oven Surprise, with a picture of an ornament on the disk
Magic Christmas Picture (Sammy Smith)
Mismade Santa Silks (P&A silks)
Christmas Comedy Magic Wand (Tommy James)
Professional Magic Painting, with Santa insert (Dazzling Magic)
Spelling Bee, with the word Snowman (or Rudolph)
Christmas Hippity Hop (homemade)
Candy Cane Wand to red & white striped streamers (Fantasio)
Foam Christmas tree in a dove pan

- Donald

P.S. I also have some tricks that I own, but haven't put into my shows just yet:

Frosty's Funny Day (Giggle Magic)
Run Run Rudolph (Fairchild Magic)
Christmas Picture Fun
Rudy Reindeer (Sammy Smith)
Big Red Nose (Sammy Smith)
Growing Christmas Hat (Christmas themed Bongo Hat)
Square Circle Production Routine (various Christmas items -- silks or flags, candy cane pole, lights, fountain of silks, etc.)
Star of the Show / sponge ball to star (David Ginn)
Christmas Colour Changing Shoelaces (David Ginn)
Christmas Gag Bag
Stocking Pandora Bag (Creative Magic)
Measle Teasle Wand (Tommy James) -- the spots lend themselves to patter about snow

P.P.S. And then I have some more Christmas Magic on my Wish List.
Yep. That's Donald alright.
Thanks.

Can anyone give any reviews on the Magic Christmas Tree from Axtell? http://www.axtell.com/gm.html
"Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot" gives a nice red and white candy cane look during the swirl that looks Christmas like without saying anything.

"Presents of Mind" is a Christmas version of "Deja Zoo" that plays well for Family groups (although I like Deja Zoo better).

-Mary Mowder
I did find a couple more:

Sock Egg Bag
http://abbottmagic.com/Sock-Egg-Bag-abbsockeggbag.htm

Santa Clause Paper Tear
http://abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Santa-Claus-Paper-Tears-ABBsantatears.htm
If you're just looking for a list of Christmas Magic, here are a few I haven't mentioned:

Christmas Wishes (Tommy James)
Christmas Cards Across (Tommy James)
Traveling Gifts (Tommy James)
Santa, Skunk, and Chimney (Tommy James)
Fold Flat Chimney Production (Tommy James) -- recently sold out
Forgetful Frosty (Fairchild Magic)
Santa's Down the Chimney / Square Circle (Fairchild Magic)
Yeti Wrist Chopper (Smoky Mountain Magic)
Santa StratBlocks or Frosty StratBlocks (Smoky Mountain Magic)
The Lost Star (Smoky Mountain Magic)
Peek-a-boo Santa (Silly Billy)
Candy Store (Daytona Magic)
Santa Costume Bag (Daytona Magic)
Santa Stuck in a Chimney (Daytona Magic)
Forgetful Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (Daytona Magic)
Elf Hat Hysteria (Ken Scott)
Snowman from a box (Ken Scott)
Wacky Winter Race (Ken Scott / John Kimmons)
Green Machine and Magic Christmas Tree Kit (Axtell)
Instant Turkey (Axtell)
Turkey Puppet (Axtell)
Santa's Refreshments (Jim Kleefeld)
Silk Fountain Christmas Style (Duane Laflin)
Various Christmas-themed inserts for Visible Colour Painting (Ickle Pickle) - For example, Laflin Magic Store sells Frosty, Christmas Tree, Rudolph, & Santa inserts
etc.

Also, here are a few DVDs and Books:

Christmas Magic Show DVD (Tommy James)
A Tony Christmas Magic Show DVD (Tony Chris)
Basic Santa Magic DVD (Duane Laflin)
Christmas Magic Book (Jim Kleefeld)
Christmas Magic Book (Duane Laflin)
Christmas Magic Lecture Notes (David Ginn)

- Donald
Wow, Donald. If I am looking for a certain type of trick, I am contacting you first. Thanks buddy.
At Christmas, my show is very themed. So, I've built up a nice collection of specialized props just for that season.

- Donald
Here's some more, from Wonder Imagery:

Legend of the Christmas Tree (Wonder Imagery)
Trevor's Tree (Wonder Imagery)
Reindeer Roundup (Wonder Imagery)
Quick Change Elf (Wonder Imagery)
Jozo Bozo's Mis Made Frosty (Wonder Imagery)
Shrinking Santa (Wonder Imagery)
Santa's Magic Paint (Wonder Imagery)
Sleigh Bell Express (Wonder Imagery)

Also, I forgot to mention it earlier, but several magic dealers sell a Stocking Change Bag. I have one that I use in my show, that I bought years ago.

- Donald
Wonderful lists Donald and kind of you to make them.

Have you checked your Meds lately?

-Mary
[quote]On Nov 9, 2017, Donald Dunphy wrote:
At Christmas, my show is very themed. So, I've built up a nice collection of specialized props just for that season.

- Donald [/quote]
Are you saying you use all of the props you listed in your shows during Christmas season?
A 30 Minute Show might have 5-6 of those routines, or a 45 minute show might have 8-9 of those routines. Sometimes I put in a non-themed trick in a show (Linking Rings, Cut and Restored Rope, etc.), or use some silly wands as a part of a Christmas routine, etc.

I don't do the same show for every single customer, in a certain December. The show is specific to that customer, and is often planned around what I've done for them in the past couple of years. So, if a child sees me at 2 different Christmas parties in the same month, they might see the exact same show, or they might see some different tricks.

For some of my annual customers, I usually rotate between 3 different shows during the different years. And occasionally I'll add a new routine. For example, I bought a used version of Frosty's Funny Day (Giggle Magic) within the past month, which I might use in some shows this December.

- Donald

P.S. I also have a couple of themed stage illusions, which I can use to make Santa Appear, for select customers. I've mentioned them in the past on other threads, in the Grand Illusion area. I have a Chimney Illusion and a Sleigh Illusion, built from plans in a Paul Osborne book.
Keep up the "great" work.
Wow Donald, I can't believe you didn't mention Presents of Mind by SPS. Packs small and plays huge for both adults and kids. I wish I could do it all year!
[quote]On Nov 16, 2017, jimhlou wrote:
Wow Donald, I can't believe you didn't mention Presents of Mind by SPS. Packs small and plays huge for both adults and kids. I wish I could do it all year! [/quote]

I didn't mention "Presents of Mind" (Sammy Smith) because Mary Mowder mentioned it in one of her posts. :)

- Donald
I'd like to add a couple to the stack. Roy Stone at Jamstone magic has a couple of terrif products. Santa's Lost Bag and Run Rudolph. I own the Santa effect and the graphics are terrific. You may not find it listed on his website but check out facebook. I may even buy the Rudolph for the 2017 shows before it's all over. Also, if no one has mentioned, Tommy James has some great ones... I have his Santa's Wand and his Traveling Gifts...both are fantastic. Just don't purchase any of these I've named if you perform in NC!
The only Christmas item I was aware of from Jamstone Magic was the Naughty or Nice lie detector / fun-o-meter prop. (This is from looking over the website. Thanks for mentioning their Facebook page... it looks like there are some interesting Christmas props shown there.)

Earlier on, I mentioned the Run Run Rudolf from Fairchild Magic. I bought a used version at an auction. Not only did it come with the Rudolf and Alien cards, as promoted on the website, but it also came with some Snowman cards. I wonder if that is standard, or special. The Snowman character in the Run Run trick matches the one from Fairchild's Forgetful Frosty trick.

I mentioned Run Run Rudolf (Fairchild Magic) and Forgetful Frosty (Fairchild Magic) in an earlier post.

But what I forgot to mention is the Smoky Mountain Magic also makes a Christmas themed version of a Run Run prop. I talked about other Christmas magic from Smoky Mountain Magic (Dan Wolfe) above, but not his "Run Run Run" trick. The photo on the website shows a Santa version as well as the Rabbit version, and there are a couple more versions - circus elephant and a circus monkey. This prop comes in 3 different sizes at different price points.

- Donald

P.S. Another item that I forgot to mention is a prop that I bought from Christopher Barnes (aka Christopher T. Magician) last year, and used in my shows. It's a Christmas version of the colouring book, but with a naughty and nice list in it. It's called "Santa's List Book", and I found out about the prop because of a Facebook post he made. It's not promoted on a website either.
Im getting the vanishing glass of milk pro.
By Bazar de Magia The Reviews I have seen say it is made very well.
And I love sucker trick magic too.Their is a video on the Penquin site.
Todd
I just published "Elf Portal" in The Wizards' Journal #35. It also includes a "Santa Portal" and some Elf Illusions for the illusionists who work children's parties.
You can't go wrong with Tommy James' "Santa, the Skunk and the Magic Chimney". Lots of surprises and laughs. A real winner.
There is a new effect from Laflin Magic called "Naughty or Nice?" - Christmas Magic Trick. A person chooses one of 9 reindeer cards, Dasher, Dancer... and then can fib or tell the truth of which one they picked - you identify the reindeer. Comes with both stage and small card versions. I like it because of the story and artwork. Also, can be done without my reading glasses!
How about Fab Magicís Visible Vampire Block - Santa version, where Santa gets stuck in the chimney and you impale him with a wooden candy cane? Really... https://fabmagic.com/products/visible-vampire-block-santa-add-on
I've had them for a while but worked them on this season and they rocked...Tommy James Christmas wishes and cards across ornament version...
This is my own and I do sell it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253355486962

S. Patrick
Any video?
The Chinese washing machine