(Close Window)
Topic: The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2017
Here. We go...

Heya Everyone!

I can't believe another year has gone by! And I apologise for getting this rolling a few weeks later than usual; so let's not waste time and just get started! Before we officially get rolling, let me say that I am happy and honoured to host/moderate yet another year. I went through a huge move (from a big city to a small one) so, quick FYI, I won't be doing too much updating until mid January as I'm just not around as often. Luckily I can copy and paste the rules from previous years and I trust everyone to take part, have fun, and make this awesome for all of us! Good luck!!

Hiya Gang!

It's that time of year! Who will win [i][b]The Houdin[/b][/i] for 2017?!

[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3793/12247010566_5a771b849a_z.jpg[/img]

First, why [i]"Houdin?"[/i]

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Roberthoudin.jpg[/img]

Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin is known as the father of modern magic. He was born Jean Eugene Robert and took the "Houdin" portion when he married the daughter of one of the few watchmakers of the time who was still using old world techniques; Jacques Francois Houdin. So, in honor of love and the adding of something to yourself to make you better (in his case he took the name), the nature of watchmaking, creating, tinkering (something I think we, as creators all do!) and the simple coolness of the name, it's what I came up with!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Eug%C3%A8ne_Robert-Houdin

Okay- What is your favourite effect that was released in 2017?

Please submit up to 3 entries and we'll tally them up on March.01 (that now gives us 2 months of voting and using various effects that get published at the end of the year). The winner will relieve a special Limited Edition "Anything Is Possible" bottle- "Trick Of The Year" trophy, called THE HOUDIN AWARD! Fun!

[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/12247126704_22d8d06377_z.jpg[/img]

[b]1.[/b]
[b]2.[/b]
[b]3.[/b]

As, well, we now have "The Thurston Award"...

[img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/12247010906_b8d33865ba_z.jpg[/img]

This award will awarded to a creator who created an effect in 2016 and who represents the true Spirit of Magic. Great customer service, kind, and a gift to the community.

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7392/12247120274_75690876dc_z.jpg[/img]

Please submit one entry:

1).

And, while we're at it, let's look at some of the past winners that we were able to figure out:

[b]Houdin[/b] winners

[b]2000:[/b] no voting took place
[b]2001:[/b] no voting took place
[b]2002:[/b] no voting took place
[b]2003:[/b] Passing Through by Kevin Parker
[b]2004:[/b] no voting took place
[b]2005:[/b] Sinful by Wayne Houchin
[b]2006:[/b] Fraud by Daniel Garcia
[b]2007:[/b] no voting took place
[b]2008:[/b] Multi-Dimensional by Craig Filicetti
[b]2009:[/b] no voting took place
[b]2010:[/b] Get Sharky by Christoph Borer
[b]2011:[/b] Industrial Revelation from Jamie D. Grant
[b]2012:[/b] Nest Of Wallets from Nick Einhorn
[b]2013:[/b] Inferno by Joshua Jay
[b]2014:[/b] Fair Play by Steve Haynes & Inferno by Bobby Hasbun
[b]2015:[/b] Svenpad Supreme by Brett Barry
[b]2016:[/b] WikiTest by Marc Kerstein

[b]Thurston[/b] winners

[b]2013:[/b] Andy Nyman and The Code
[b]2014:[/b] Craig Filicetti
[b]2015:[/b] Craig Filicetti
[b]2016:[/b] Craig Filicetti

(Winners have been decided by researching the Magic Café for threads titled Trick of the Year, or something similar, that contained votes from the members.)

Ref: 2000: ,2001: ,2002: ,2003: ,2004: ,2005: ,2006: ,2007: ,2008: ,2009: ,2010: ,2011: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=109&192

And, gang, I know firsthand how much of an impact this thread will have on someone's life. Seriously. The prestige from this little thread will drive their sales through the roof. So please let's take this seriously, say nothing but nice things, and have fun! We're going to change someone's life!

[b]RULES:[/b]

So if you follwed this thread last year, things got a little bit complicated. What started out as a fun thread between pals several years ago has turned into a HUGE event and, you know what? That's a good thing! It shows that the art of magic is alive and well and that we're all passionate about it!! To help reduce drama, though (we can never eliminate it, I'm afraid,) let's try and keep to the following...

[b]Vote[/b] with [b]Trick Name[/b] and the [b]Creator Name[/b] for Trick of the Year (Houdin). Please [b]submit 3 Entries[/b].
Submit [b]1 Trick Name[/b] and [b]Creator Name[/b] for Customer Service/Spirit/Kindness of the Year (Thurston)

If you have been selected and want to encourage your pals to take part...

[b]You must have 50+ posts on the Magic Café for your vote to count. If you're new, that gives you over 2 months to join in the community and share in our passion.[/b]

It is impossible to police or enforce a "no asking your clients, friends, etc to vote" rule and, personally, I think it's silly to ask people not to share their excitement. How can you have a contest if you're not allowed to talk about it?! On that note, I ask that you please...

[b]Don't offer financial incentives.
Encourage people to vote for 3, not just one.
Limit the number of your announcements to 3 times.[/b]

I trust people (perhaps that's a fault, lol) but I also trust the voting public to choose what they [i]truly feel is the best[/i] and not just what soemone tells them to do.

Lastly, this is a thread for [b]JOY[/b]. Let me be clear- [b]HAPPINESS![/b] Any post that is not a vote or is something positive, I will ask for it to be deleted. There are other places on the Café (Right or Worng) for political disussions. But they won't be here.

Wish me luck (I mean for moderating this thread), lol...

Your pal,

jamie
Hurray!
1. Whiplash by Josh Janousky
2. Hovercard Plus by Dan Harlan and Nicholas Lawrence
3. IG by Josh Janousky
Hands down best is Inject 2
Concilium
Did I say Inject 2?
Venom by Magie Factory
Whiplash by Josh Janousky
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
For the Houdin Award

1 JJ's Coin Coalition by John Jurney
2 Quiver by Kelvin Chow
3 Keymaster Chrome by Craig Petty ( the updated version is way superior to the original )

For thr Thurston Award for me it's Card-Shark for the amazing customer service they gave me which really was above and beyond and not to mention their excellent products.
For the Thurston Award:

Card Shark

reason: Exactly the same reason as the above poster: for the amazing customer service they gave me which really was above and beyond and not to mention their excellent products.

(and NO, Card Shark (Christian) didn't ask me to write this :-) )
I've become interested in visual effects lately and really love Whiplash by Josh Janousky. Also love Shin Lims recent red release
Inject 2.0 is the best release for me :)
Inject 2 by Greg Rostami
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
Inject 2.0 is the best release for me.
Inject 2.0 - Greg Rostami - for Trick of the Year (Houdin)
Houdin
- Quiver by Kelvin Chow
- Inject 2.0 - Greg Rostami
- Position Impossible - Brent Braun
1...inject 2.0,
2...inject 2.0
3...inject 2.0,👍👍👍👍
Inject 2.0 by Greg Rostami!
Inject 2 by Greg Rostami, innovative, much too inexpensive, and a real audience killer!
Thurston goes for Pheodon from proteus.. hes doing amazing job on the private fb group! a must imo.

top 3 effects in no particular order;
Inject 2
Proteus
Isabella star 3
Thank you to everyone who has voted for Inject 2.0

2017 has been an amazing year of magic ... lots of "must have" releases.
It was really hard to choose only three, but here are my favorite effects from 2017:

The Gift by Angelo Carbone
Instagrab by Patrick Kun

As always, a BIG thanks to Jamie Grant for all the work he puts into this thread year after year.
Greg Rostami
Inject 2.0 by Greg Rostami
Inject 2.0 - Greg Rostam
Position Impossible by Brent Braun
Bare The Other Brothers
Inject 2.0 - Greg Rostami
Thurston: Phedon Bilek. The dude is too nice to be true. He helped everybody and was always respectful, even to ***s. Extremely generous as well.

Effect: Proteus for #1
Nothing else really excited me
Whiplash - Josh Janousky
Rubber Deception - Joe Rindfleisch

Thurston : Nicholas Lawrence. Just a guy who LOVES magic and gives so much after all that he has dealt with. Strong personality and stronger magic.
Inject 2.0 by Greg Rostami tops my list!
Holla at yo'boy Josh Janousky whiplash.
Heya Gang!

Just jumping in here for a quick minute- is Inject 2 a release from 2017? Or is it an update for what was previously released? Just making sure we’re all good!

Let me know what you think - and then back to voting! And thanks for being so positive everyone!!
Hi Jamie,

Inject 2.0 was released on August 12 2017.
The 2.0 version is a big upgrade that includes new features and effects that didn't exist in the previous version of Inject.

The original Inject (1.0) was released on Sept. 27 2015.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Greg
Can somebody describe the effect of "the trick" Inject2 for me ?
Inject is in my opinion a "tool / system / aid" like a TT or IT that allows you to do certain tricks with.
As a "tool" it may win a prize for me, certainly not as a "trick" or "an effect" on its own.
Or one has to vote for one particular "effect" (created in 2017) that you can do with Inject. Then it is correct.
Let's assume that the TT was invented in 2017. The TT is not a trick or an effect. But you can do particular tricks with a TT.
[quote]On Dec 23, 2017, Waterloophai wrote:
Inject is in my opinion a "tool / system / aid" like a TT or IT that allows you to do certain tricks with.
As a "tool" it may win a prize for me, certainly not as a "trick" or "an effect" on its own.
Or one has to vote for one particular "effect" (created in 2017) that you can do with Inject. Then it is correct.
Let's assume that the TT was invented in 2017. The TT is not a trick or an effect. But you can do particular tricks with a TT. [/quote]

Agreed. Inject is not a trick, nor was it released in 2017. Voting for a particular effect within it is more appropriate, I’d say.
[quote]On Dec 23, 2017, magicmarcuk wrote:
[quote]On Dec 23, 2017, Waterloophai wrote:
Let's assume that the TT was invented in 2017. The TT is not a trick or an effect. But you can do particular tricks with a TT. [/quote]

Agreed. Inject is not a trick, nor was it released in 2017. Voting for a particular effect within it is more appropriate, I’d say. [/quote]

Inject would be on my list as well. You are right it is not a trick however neither we Brett’s fabulous svenpads which won two years ago. Since there’s not a separate “tool of the year” it is fine to vote for those here. I also think it is probably fine to be considered released since like greg mentioned, it was a re release to the masses with other shops carting it for the first time and there being such large features added. That’s a call for Jamie but I think it is alright.

So to complete my list:
Inject 2 by Greg Rostami
Marksman Deck Luke Jermay (with the voyages accompanying book)
No Brainer Bill Abbott

Best,
I agree with all the points that have been made.

I will agree with whatever the members of the Café and Jamie decide.

Happy Holidays,
Greg
Quiver by Kevin Chow
Coin Coalition by John Jurney

Quiver is so good I bought 6 of them. Does that count for 6 votes ?? :-). Unfortunately I only have one Gift and one Coin Coalition!!
My votes would be
Ophiuchus by me
iThump by Ian Pigeon
Isabella’s Star 3 by Pete Turner

As far as Inject 2 is concerned I would not call it a new 2017 release but rather an updated app. I have several other apps that have also been updated way beyond recognition over the last few years, I think wiki test also got updated to a version 2 this year but I believe it was originally released in 2016. I also think magicwebfx might have had quite an update and possibly even a name change but I don’t think it qualifies. IS3 I think does count because whilst it shares the name the overall effect and method is quite a bit different to IS 1 and IS 2.

Mark
In regards to inject 2.0 been not a trick. and been 2.0 I just like to say if someone releases an effect den brings updated and different method hense 2.0 is that not allowed to be on trick of the year ?,
My votes from the Somerset Jury are as follows....

1. Gone Fishin by Roddy Mcghie
2. Isabella Star 3 / Devil In Desguise 2 by Peter Turner
3. Inject 2.0 by Greg Rostami

Thurston Award also to my good friend Phedon Bilek.

Regards
Dr Rob
IThump by Ian Pidgeon
The best Toxic app on the Market
www.ithump.com.au
Thurston award - Max Krause

Lots of great apps, always upgrading - Mental Killer, Menta-list, Card Stats, Tell A Photo......but even more amazing is his customer service. Unparalleled.
It seems to me that Inject 2.0 is a single release, and as such, should be voted on in it's entirety. It would be too confusing to vote on specific tricks included in Inject 2.0.

KJ
Inject 2
iThump
Quiver
Marty
Key master Chrome
JJ Coin Coalition
Thurston Award: Phedon Bilek

p.s. Phedon, we agreed on $20 for posting this right?
Thurston Award: Michael Murray

As for my choice of 3 effects, this was really hard to narrow it down to three. But I have decided to go for versatility and with all these 3 effects capable of being used and taken in different directions.

1 Visionary 3 by ThoughtIllusions
2 TITE by RedDevil
3 Humint by Phill Smith
Inject 2.0
1. Chinese Tweezers by Lopez
2. Gone Fishin by McGie
3. Whiplash by Janousky

TA: Reel Magic
1. Inject 2.0
2. Rubik's Dream
3. OxBender
1/ IceBreaker by Francis Girola
2 /Carbone's The Gift
3/ 52 to 1

Thurston:
CardShark
Houdin:
(In no particular order)

1. Ox Bender by Menny Lendenfeld
2. Zodiac Book Test by Lee Petrucci & Theory11
3. 52 to 1 by Wayne Fox & David Penn

Honorable Mention:
Fortuity by David Jonathan
(I think it’s a silly rule that creators are allowed to vote for their own effects, so I will not do so)

Thurston: Stephen Young of ThoughtIllusions
1. The Gift - Angelo Carbone
2. The Box - Joao Miranda
3. Position Impossible - Brent Braun

Thurston Award: Angelo Carbone for all his genius contributions the magicdom.
1. H.G. Effect - Shawn Farquar
2. The Gift - Angelo Carbone
3. Gone Fishin' - Roddy McGhie
1. Inject 2
2. Venom
3. Proteus

Thurston Award: Dave Bonsall and the propdog team
Well, this is has already been a tough start. Gah. But I’ve reached out to people I trust, past winners, and close friends and they are almost unanimous that Inject 2.0 doesn’t qualify. Allowing updated versions to win would open the door to one effect (if it was astounding) to win every year for eternity- if it kept updating every year. But, at the same time, and knowing what a great guy Greg is (I would even call him a friend as we’ve been at Magic Live together for years!), it kills me that he doesn’t qualify because he was doing right by his customers (by updating rather than renaming it). Gah! I’m actually 50/50- so I’m going to have to go with the panel and trust that everyone understands. If you voted for Inject 2.0, please cast a vote for another and please don’t forget that the Thurston Award exists- which seems like an extremely excellent alternative in this exact case.

Bring on the hate, lol.

My best,

jamie
Tough decision and a little disappointing as Inject 2.0 really is fantastic. So I would like to go ahead and nominate Greg Rostami for the Thurston award.

My Trick of the year would be Quiver - unless it also gets disqualified (not really a trick - more of a utility device)

Ed
While we're at it, Position Impossible was released in 2016.
Houdin

1. Cbring Thumb Writer by Andreas Sebring
2. C-Purse by Xavier Lepronier
3. Venom by Magie Factory

Thurston

Andreas Sebring (very helpful, wonderful customer service).
[quote]On Dec 24, 2017, egoli wrote:
Tough decision and a little disappointing as Inject 2.0 really is fantastic. So I would like to go ahead and nominate Greg Rostami for the Thurston award.

My Trick of the year would be Quiver - unless it also gets disqualified (not really a trick - more of a utility device)

Ed [/quote]

Good. This Thread was getting way too predictable.
Thanks for everyone who has voted for Whiplash. I’m incredibly flattered!

For the Houdin I’m voting for
1) Lolli Hero by Steve Rowe
2) Instagrab by Patrick Kun
3) Stand Up Monte Expansion by Garrett Thomas (but if that’s an issue I’ll go with 23 by Michael Weber)

For the Thurston I’m voting for Greg Rostami
As much as I love Craig, after 3 well-deserved years in a row as a Thurston award winner, maybe it’s time to give someone else the accolades.
So this year my Thurston award vote goes to Greg Rostami.
Dear friends,

As I've said earlier, I will agree with whatever Jamie and the members of the Café decide about including Inject 2.0 this year.

As Marc said, I think the correct solution is "Voting for a particular effect within Inject is more appropriate".

There are enough new features in Inject 2.0 that it could have been a new product in 2017.
If we had chosen to make a new product, with a new name, then we wouldn't have this issue.

But we chose to give these new features and effects for free to our existing users with Inject 2.0.

Inject is a utility that started in 2013 with my Supa Thump app.
Like any other utility in magic, how we use these utilities matures over time.

If I had made an amazing trick in 2017 with a TT (Th*** T**), then we obviously wouldn't give an award to a TT ... we would give the award to the TRICK.

In conclusion, it's an honor to have even a single vote in this competition.
Thank you Jamie for considering me for the Thurston award. I really appreciate your friendship and the time you've spent investigating this matter.

Every year, Jamie's wonderful thread, allows us to vote for our favorite tricks.

If there's a particular trick that you like, that uses the features in Inject 2017(2.0), then I would be honored if you cast a vote for it.

Merry Christmas
Greg Rostami
[quote]On Dec 24, 2017, Greg Rostami wrote:
Dear friends,

As I've said earlier, I will agree with whatever Jamie and the members of the Café decide about including Inject 2.0 this year.

As Marc said, I think the correct solution is "Voting for a particular effect within Inject is more appropriate".

There are enough new features in Inject 2.0 that it could have been a new product in 2017.
If we had chosen to make a new product, with a new name, then we wouldn't have this issue.

But we chose to give these new features and effects for free to our existing users with Inject 2.0.

Inject is a utility that started in 2013 with my Supa Thump app.
Like any other utility in magic, how we use these utilities matures over time.

If I had made an amazing trick in 2017 with a TT (Th*** T**), then we obviously wouldn't give an award to a TT ... we would give the award to the TRICK.

In conclusion, it's an honor to have even a single vote in this competition.
Thank you Jamie for considering me for the Thurston award. I really appreciate your friendship and the time you've spent investigating this matter.

Every year, Jamie's wonderful thread, allows us to vote for our favorite tricks.

If there's a particular trick that you like, that uses the features in Inject 2017(2.0), then I would be honored if you cast a vote for it.

Merry Christmas
Greg Rostami [/quote]

Grace, class, and awesomeness. You’re the man, Greg!

Back to voting and...Merry Christmas, everyone!!
Instagrab-Patrick Kun
The Gift-Angelo Carbone
52 to 1-David Penn and Wayne Fox
My vote for 2017:
1. Xeno by Marc Kerstein
2. Marty by SecretStudio

And my Thurston Award vote goes to Max Krause for his astonishing customer service and the heart of giving that surprisingly made me cried this year. Beside all that, is his amazing professional apps (MentalKiller, Cardstat aka MACAAN and Menta-list are fews that I have) that always ready to go whenever-- where ever!
Well I did vote for Inject 2.0, but seeing as it was wiping the floor clean with votes here and has since been disqualified for being an update, so here are my votes.
Rubik's Dream by Henry Harris

I nominate Greg Rostami for the Thurston award
Inject 2
1. Q&A Evolution by Scott Creasey. Simply brilliant.

2. Performing the Q&A by Gerry McCambridge.
[quote]On Dec 24, 2017, 1KJ wrote:
1. Chinese Tweezers by Lopez
2. Gone Fishin by McGie
3. Whiplash by Janousky

TA: Reel Magic [/quote]

Whats TA mean?
Thurston Award
1. Actor's Force - Greg Rostami from his 2017 release, Inject 2.0
2. Whiplash - Just Joshin Magic
3. OX Bender

TA- Greg Rostami
TA Greg rostami
houndini inject 2.0 Greg rostami
1. Inject 2
2. Anything Peter Turner puts out..
Remember, inject 2 is disallowed.
[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Remember, inject 2 is disallowed. [/quote]

THIS
1. Proteus
2. OxBender
TA: Greg Rostami
I only bought one trick this year that can be considered "Trick of the Year"
Also my TA vote goes for Angelo because of his commitment to his customers to get the most of his creation.
He started a very successful Facebook support group for users of The Gift.
Remember- Inject 2.0 qualifies if you list an actual effect from it. Hence I nominated Greg Rostami's, Actor's Force routine.
My vote for TOTY goes to Angelo Carbone’s excellent product The Gift. It had an early release in 2017 which I hope doesn’t detract from it being fresh on voters’ minds as it’s truly excellent.

Angelo Carbone also gets my vote for the Thurston Award. Angelo is an incredible creator and his support and ongoing creativity are second to none. He’s also a lovely guy, and I’d love to see him win this award that I believe he truly deserves.
Sorry to be negative

But it really feels like ‘king making’ when on one hand you say inject is banned then on the other say ‘oh but you can change your vote for it for a Thurston’

[quote]On Dec 24, 2017, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
If you voted for Inject 2.0, please cast a vote for another and please don’t forget that the Thurston Award exists- which seems like an extremely excellent alternative in this exact case.
jamie [/quote]

Nobody was voting this way before. None of those who votes inject 2.0 ever had a thought before to nominate Greg for a Thurston.

Now you have corrupted the Thurston award as everyone who wants to vote Inject as their favourite effect now has to vote Greg for a Thurston instead.

The only reason this is annoying [for me] – is I love the Thurston award. Especially when people give reasons for their nomination. As this is the sort of thing that should be held up and rewarded. The extra mile that maybe Card Shark, Phedon, or Carbone go.

Creators/manufactures helping magicians [when problems arise] and all that
Trick of the year: Whiplash

Creator of the year: Josh Janousky
[quote]On Dec 27, 2017, The Duster wrote:
Sorry to be negative

But it really feels like ‘king making’ when on one hand you say inject is banned then on the other say ‘oh but you can change your vote for it for a Thurston’

[quote]On Dec 24, 2017, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
If you voted for Inject 2.0, please cast a vote for another and please don’t forget that the Thurston Award exists- which seems like an extremely excellent alternative in this exact case.
jamie [/quote]

Nobody was voting this way before. None of those who votes inject 2.0 ever had a thought before to nominate Greg for a Thurston.

Now you have corrupted the Thurston award as everyone who wants to vote Inject as their favourite effect now has to vote Greg for a Thurston instead.

The only reason this is annoying [for me] – is I love the Thurston award. Especially when people give reasons for their nomination. As this is the sort of thing that should be held up and rewarded. The extra mile that maybe Card Shark, Phedon, or Carbone go.

Creators/manufactures helping magicians [when problems arise] and all that [/quote]

Heya Duster!

Thanks for your comments and thoughts. Just to make sure we're not rewriting history here, though, my exact words were "an excellent alternative" - and it is. The Thurston (which I love, as well) is an amazing alternative for any creator who has offered incredible customer service, or any of the other things that the Thurston represents. And anyone can win it; including Angelo and Christian- who are also friends of mine. I would suggest that absolutely nothing is corrupted, that it's never a bad thing for people to learn what the Thurston is (if they didn't know already), that people will vote for who they want, and that I don't have any influence on those votes. There are many, many people who deserve the Thurston- and it's up to all of you to decide; not me.

Looking forward, I wonder if this Thread is still worth the time and trouble. I'm not picking up my ball and going home- but we have to be realistic. Times are changing, people's interactions are different than they were ten years ago, and it's a different world now with many options of where to find your knowledge and insight. It has to be asked if this still the thing that was originally created. I reckon we'll see how this one goes and take a hard look when it's over.

My best,

jamie
Yeah but your comment [and the 'banning' of Inject 2] have in effect meant you have 'king made' here

Nobody had any interest in voting for Greg for a Thurston Award

I won't keep banging on about this - I just think it's an unfair situation and a corrupted result, if inject 2 hadn't off been banned I suspect he would have got very few [maybe 0 votes for a Thurston]

I have had a few emails suggesting [for various reasons] that maybe Greg is NOT a good fit for a Thurston Award - but as they want to keep their views private I don't know that there is any weight to them

I don't know Greg at all

I can see from this thread that loads of people rate his Inject 2 very highly

So this isn't personal at all

I just think it's a shame the way this has happened
Again - I want to state - I apologise for the negativity

And I don't have inject 2

I can see that those who do - seem to really love/rate it

So it really is nothing to do with the product or Greg personally

I just wish this situation hadn't happened

Thanks for running this jamie all the best to all x
Inject finished in the top 10 in votes last year, so it is understandable why the message had to be said for this year.

Greg also received votes for the Thurston in previous years, so it is not true to say that no one would have voted for him before that comment.
I said noone HAD voted for him before

Now all those [who did not consider it] are voting for him [for the Thurston] - which they are only doing so because of a technicality

That is not that he would have ended up with zero

It just looks like he might walk away with it - and only because he was banned from the trick of the year

Anyway the top three for the Thurston will all need to pass a WADA drug test before they are officially put into the record books... if they are clean and have no drugs in their system they will be banned
Duster, I get your feelings and you make a valid point. But we all need to remember that even though these "awards" can bring financial gain for a product, the main goal is really to be informative and fun for all of us. There has rarely been a year without controversy of some kind. The TOTY and corruption have certainly been linked together before, and much of it legitimate. But it's almost impossible to have this and not disappoint a few people due to one reason or another.

I hope Jamie (or someone) continues it in the future as I always enjoy it. It not only brings to my attention some products I may have overlooked or dismissed, but it also prompts me to look back over what I have purchased during the past year and really think about what my personal favorites are. And it's not always simply the trick I perform the most often.

For instance, this year Whiplash has gotten many votes. I bought that when it first came out and sold it right away, thinking it was something I just wouldn't really use. But the many votes have have made me think about it again and maybe I dismissed it too quickly without giving it a fair shot. This thread has made me re-think about it in ways I hadn't before. So who knows, I may possibly end up buying it again.

But I don't always run out and buy the winning vote getter. Often, I will see something else that may have only gotten a few votes but I feel may be something I would really like and use.

So I think we all have to take it with a grain of salt and accept that even though we may disagree with certain things, overall it's a benefit to all of us IMHO.
Well said videoman I fully agree.
I vote for:

1 The Gift. Carbone
2. Easy Cube. Hecklau

Thank you Jamie for doing the work involved in this thread!
I'm certain all of you would agree, we don't want Jamie to stop hosting the Trick of the Year Thread.
Jamie is being pulled in every direction regarding this issue.

I agree with The Duster.
If you don't feel like I should get the Thurston Award, please vote for whoever you think deserves it.

Unlike TOTY, there's only ONE vote for the Thurston.

My vote for the Thurston goes to:

Angelo Carbone

For his brilliant, creative creations that elevate magic, year after year.
The art of magic owes a great gratitude for "The Gift" that Angelo shares with us.

When it comes to The Trick of the Year , you have THREE votes ... vote for whatever you like.

To me it doesn't matter if I'm in this race or not.
I am SUPER happy with all the support that you've already shown my products.

We love you Jamie (please don't quit),
Greg Rostami
I vote for :
1. Rubik’s Dream by Henry Harrius
2. Quiver by Kelvin Chow
3. Cipher by Will, Geraint and Lloyd
Message: Posted by: JohnMichaelHinton (Dec 27, 2017 07:17PM)
Rubiks dream
rd 360
Message: Posted by: JohnMichaelHinton (Dec 27, 2017 07:17PM)
And quiver
Houdin award
1. Ox bender , Menny Lindenfeld
2. Conscious Magic episode 1, by Ran Pink and Andrew Gerard
3. Stealth Case, Steve Cook

Thurston award
Richard Sanders.
I’ve just remembered something else that came out in 2017 that I absolutely love which is Phil Smith’s Root Savant so if I can I would like to withdraw my vote for my own effect (which was released in 2017 despite the couple of pm’s I’ve had insisting it was 2016) and replace that vote with Root Savant.

Thurston I’m still thinking about because there are a couple of people on my list.

Mark
My votes would go
1) Quiver
2) Humint
1). Quiver
2) Coin Coilition
For the Houdin Award:

1 Ox Bender by Menny Lindenfeld (this device literally changed the way I approach close-up metal bending)
2 Quiver by Kelvin Chow (So clever and many applications. It also provided a solution to a routine I've wanted to perform for years)
3 The Gift by Angelo Carbone (After all the pre-hype it actually lived up to the expectations. A tremendous utility device).

Honorable mentions: Cipher App (Will, Geraint, and Lloyd)), The 52-1 Deck (Wayne Fox and David Penn), Ten Card Miracle (Ted Karmilovich), The Marksman(Luke Jermay), Totally Awe-Sum Close-up (Scott Creasey), Stop the Press! (Martin Lewis), Mental Pen (Joao Miranda), Devious Deceptions (Eric Samuels), Insight ESP (Hugo Shelly), and Little Door (Roddy McGhie) even though it was technically released in 2016 but most of us in N.A. didn't receive them until January 2017.

For thr Thurston Award: Craig Filicetti (Yes, Craig wins nearly every year but it's well-deserved. Few creators go out of their way as much to ensure customer satisfaction.

Thurston Award: Angelo Carbone
First and foremost.
Thank you Jamie for being the amazing gentleman and example for all to follow.
Jamie is once again, freaking AWESOME!

Let’s all follow his lead. Respect the decision, and move on. Some agree. Some disagree. Some have no clue. Some don’t care.
But one thing is the same for us all. We love or at a minimum, like Magic!
I surely would hate to see this go away.

And......

Houdin award
1. RFA Wallet, Anthony Miller RFA Productions
2. The Gift Angelo Carbone
3. Mental Pen by João Miranda and Gustavo Sereno

Thurston award
Anthony “Tony” Miller

Thank you so much Jamie your willingness to do this yet again. For nothing, other than you being awesome.
I know you’re more than busy and how this does take time (which you don’t have), patience (you obviously have), and dedication to our art (another obvious trait you live and breathe)

Thank you everyone for getting us back on what this is all about. The magic and keeping the magic going.
You are all awesome!

Mike
My vote for the Thurston award goes to Vic Nadata at Gemini Artifacts. He produces some of the highest quality props using some of the most ingenious methods. He provides the highest quality customer service in the industry and is, simply, a good dude.
I vote for:
1. Quiver (Still looking to get one but have friends who have it)
2. Tarantula 2
3. Vapr Watch (technically 2016 but presale only, I am waiting on one still but the one I have is great)

My vote for the Thurston award goes to Shawn Farquhar. Such a nice guy and very giving to others, has great customer support and makes stellar products.
Venom magie factory
Whiplash Josh janousky
Void Agus tiju
1.IS3.Peter Turner
1. IS3 Peter Turner. I was involved in the project, but trying to be as objective as possible I also really think it was groundbreaking work from Pete. I'm glad it's also been recognised on here by others who purchased it.
Mental Pen by João Miranda and Gustavo Sereno
Inject 2.0 - Houdini effect
TRU by Menny Lindenfeld
[quote]On Dec 29, 2017, Magic KL wrote:
TRU by Menny Lindenfeld [/quote]

Inject 2.0 isn't allowed!
1. Instagrab by Patrick Kun
2. Venom by Magie Factory
3. Tarantula 2 by Yigal Mesika
1. Tarantula 2.0 by Yoga Mesika
2. Triple C by Christian Engblom
3. Expansion by Daniel Bryan

TA: I'm gonna have to go with the guys over at Vanishing Inc. They have been very awesome and their costumer service is one of the best
Ok since I can't vote for Inject 2.0 outright, I'll cast my votes for effects (TRICK) within Inject

1. Houdini Cards/Eyes - Inject 2.0
2. Actors Force - Inject 2.0
3. Web Album - Inject 2.0
Message: Posted by: Magic from A to Z (Dec 30, 2017 04:52PM)
I’m beginning to think Jamie’s asking himself , “Why did I choose to do this again?”
Here is my favourite trick from 2017:

1) THE GIFT - ANGELO CARBONE

Sorry - I cannot nominate anything else since I am mainly a book guy!

And my nomination for The Thurston Award is:

1) Angelo Carbone. He is the most creative mind in magic today. And offers great customer service (eg Facebook pages devoted to his newly released products) when he releases new tricks.

He is also happy to share his clever ideas for recently released Tenyo effects as well. He is a great at this which is not surprising since he is also a creator for Tenyo magic as well. And on top of all that - he is the nicest guy in magic!

All the best,

Joe Mckay
Oraculum by Bobby Hasbun
Whiplash
TRU

Vic from Gemini for the Thurston award. Excellent communicator and generously great guy to deal with.
Sherlock’oin by Thomas Riboulet and Anthony Stan
Leap by Agus Tiju
The Gift - Angelo Carbone

Thurston Award - Angelo Carbone
After much deliberation my vote for the Thurston goes to Michael Murray one of the nicest guys in the industry.

Mark
The Thurston Award....... Michael Murray.
Magic trick of the year The Gift by Angelo carbone

Thurston Award: Angelo Carbone
My favorite trick for 2017 is The Gift by Angelo Carbone.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:
[quote]On Dec 29, 2017, Magic KL wrote:
TRU by Menny Lindenfeld [/quote]

Inject 2.0 isn't allowed! [/quote]

It IS allowed if you vote for a specific effect!!
1. The Gift, Angelo Carbone
2. Sensys, by Craig Filicetti
3. Cipher

Thurston Award: Michael Murray, one of the finest and most creative minds in our art
Thurston Award: Michael Murray.
Thurston Award : Michael Murray

The hardest working and nicest guy on the planet.
My trick of the year vote goes to Venom by magie factory.

Turston award for Michael Murray
Turston for Michael Murray, his customer service is amazing. He is fast and is open and generous with his opinion and advice.

For me the best trick I bought was probably pantheon by Chris philpott, not just for the effect but for all the premises and routines it contains.
Tofy

1) angelo Carbone the gift
2) the yarn
3) pre vision René Nijman

Thurston award Angelo Carbone.
Thurston award: Michael Murray.
Thurston award: Michael Murray.
For the Thurston award; Michael Murray.
Thurston Award: Michael Murray. He’s a gentleman genius.
This is my list:
1 - inject 2.0 - (whatever trick ex. Houdini card) this is pure genius.
2 - card stats
3 - position impossible

Other valuable mentions: card on ribbon (chatelain), Gordon’s diary (Gordon), or not (daortiz), triple prediction (daortiz), 52 to 1 deck (fox / penn), butterfly playing cards.

Thurston: Craig Rostami
The Gift. THE best trick of the year.
Houdin Award:
Quiver by Kelvin Chow

Thurston Award:
Josh Janousky
HA:
The gift
52/1
Proteus
Thurston
Micheal Murray
CIPHER
Houdin
1. Venom by Magie Factory (best Tutorial!)
2. Inject 2 by Greg Rostami (amazing & growing possibilities)
3. Gone Fishin‘ by Roddy McGhie (for creativity!)

Thurston
1. Hugo Shelley
Houdin
1.) Yigel Mesika's Tarantula 2
2.) Peter Turner's Isabella's Star 3
3.) Phedon Bilek's Proteus
4.) Fraser Parker's "Drawing".

Thurston
1.) Phedon Bilek (started out as an adversary, turned into a close friend).
2.) Peter Turner (a great friend to everyone who contacts him, a great person even outside of magic, and is one of the most genuine people there is).
3.) Lewis Le Val (this dude is a real thinker who put a ton of thought into his presentations, his methods are not all that original but he truly fulfills the spirit of magic).
1-Alpha Deck- Quite surprised not to see this quoted so far!
2-The Gift

Thurston
Angelo Carbone (Nice guy to deal with. Always respond to my emails and we have a shared interest in Tenyo.)
Oraculum by Bobby Hasbun
Artifactum by Christopher Gould
Alice Dopps by Prof BC

Thurston
Christopher Gould
1. The Gift- Carbone
2. The End - Lax
3. Deceit Treat- Francis

Thurston:
Marc Kerstein
Houdin:
1) Butterfly Deck - Ondřej Pšenička
2) Withdrawal - Josh Janousky & Jeff Prace
3) Leap - Agus Tjiu

Thurston:
Kozmo Koz
Deceit Treat by Cameron Francis.

It's the one effect this year that I've used since I purchased it.
I am both humbled and greatful to those who have nominated me for the Thurston Award, no matter who wins, your kind thoughts are deeply appreciated!

Best Wishes Michael
Thurston Award Michael Murray
1) The Gift - Angelo Carbone
2) Gypsy Queens - Asi Wind
3) Position Impossible - Brent Braun

Thurston - Daniel Summers
Thurston Award Michael Murray
Artifactum by Christopher Gould
Oraculum by Bobby Hasbun
Alice Dopps by Prof BC

Thurston award: Christopher Gould
Xeno by Marc Kerstein.
- Inject 2.0
- Quiver
- Zodiac by Spidey
Predixion by Max Maven
Thurston Award: Martin Grams hands down the best customer service I've ever received.

Can I just add however, that I believe that the magic marketplace has become quite distorted. The expectations of many buyers are just way out of whack with the commercial realities the sellers face. As lovely as it is to receive great service and fast delivery, I appreciate that often sellers are one man bands, they have lives and gigs and holidays and suppliers who let them down and all sorts of considerations that simply aren't my little order. So thank you Martin for your kind service and for going above and beyond... because that's what it is... above and beyond!
- Cipher
- Whiplash
- Ox Bender
On the other side of the coin if you vote someone for the Thurston I am sure that the recipient will appreciate the gesture. Whilst the vote won’t count towards the count I’m pretty sure it would mean something to the recipient. Many of those that go the extra mile are not getting rich off this and tend to get more grief than plaudits so the show of appreciation is worth more where it counts that awards.

Mark
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jan 9, 2018 02:54PM)
[quote]On Jan 4, 2018, Daisydog wrote:

I second that, Daisydog! The Alpha Deck is in my experience for laymen just about as close to real magic as it gets. It's not only totally bewildering, it's also extremely smart-structured, uses the gaff in a way that leaves the spectators with no clue at all in and has a nice amount of interaction going. Richard Sanders had delivered again, in my opinion. I LOVED Identity and I LOVE the Alpha Deck. I also like the WPR a lot, but on this one they were totally wrong, I say!
I am surprised that I have not seen Scott Alexander (my vote) nominated for the Thurston award. His innovative routines and recent showmanship DVD's have likely influenced more magicians. There are many deserving and distinguished nominees and Scott is easily among these influencers and visionaries.

Dan.
1. The Gift by Angelo Carbone
2. Rubik's Dream by Henry Harrius
3. Perfect Square by JB Dumas and Michael Lam

Thurston: Greg Rostami
1. The Gift, Angelo Carbone
2. The Stealth Case, Steve Cook
Houdin Award (Trick of the Year):

1. Venom (Magie Factory)
2. RFA Wallet
3. Marksman Deck (May not be too popular here, but I use it literally every day - replaced The Code for me as my go to readers)

Thurston Award: Anthony Miller - a true gentleman, cares about his customers, and always does the right thing.

TOTY: Innervision
1-The Gift by Angelo Carbone
[quote]On Jan 9, 2018, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
[quote]On Jan 4, 2018, Daisydog wrote:

I second that, Daisydog! The Alpha Deck is in my experience for laymen just about as close to real magic as it gets. It's not only totally bewildering, it's also extremely smart-structured, uses the gaff in a way that leaves the spectators with no clue at all in and has a nice amount of interaction going. Richard Sanders had delivered again, in my opinion. I LOVED Identity and I LOVE the Alpha Deck. I also like the WPR a lot, but on this one they were totally wrong, I say! [/quote]

Alpha Deck was released more than 10-years ago by Richard Sanders. I agree that it's a terrific effect but it can hardly be considered a "new release".
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jan 17, 2018 02:45PM)
Oh really? Ooops! I just came back in magic after a 10 year-hiatus and someone recommended this trick to me to me. Right after purchasing it and having performed it a couple times I read Daisydog's post here who voted for it to be no.1 and therefore I assumed it was released this year... :-) But... eh... oh, well...let me tell you: it should have been Trick of the Year 2007!
Mental Pen (perfect, brilliant, genius!)
Tarantula 2
Oxbender

Thurston Award: ME, for being a magic shop owner who is very good to his customers, and for my humble modesty.
1 Quiver
2 the gift (Angelo Carbone)
1 Leap by Agus Tiju
2 The Gift - Angelo Carbone
3 Position impossible - Brent Braun
Here are my votes!

Houdin Award (in no particular order):
- Whiplash by Josh Janousky
- Hover Card Plus by Nicholas Lawrence and Dan Harlan
- Butterfly Deck/Playing Cards by Ondrej Pšenicka

Thurston Award:
- Marc Kerstein
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jan 22, 2018 08:14AM)
Houdin:

1 Leap by Agus Tjiu
2 Houdini's Eyes from Inject 2.0- Greg Rostami
3 The Gift- Carbone

Thurston:

Sean Goodman
- Venom
- The Gift
- Zeno

Thurston:
- Gary Plants and co.
Houdini eyes from inject 2.
ta to greg rostami. his costumer service is one of the best.
My votes go for

1. TRU by Menny Lindenfeld
2. Quiver (if it is allowed since it is more a utility item)

Thurston to Kozmo at REEL magic
RD 360 regards Tarik 🙂
1. Rubik's Dream (or RD360...) by Henry Harrius
2. NoBrainer by Bill Abbott
3. HoverCard Plus by Dan Harlan & Nicholas Lawrence
1) The Gift by Angelo Carbone 
2) Alice Dopps by Prof BC

Thurston
Keith Black Hart. purchased from him for the first time last year and found his customer service to be exceptional.
It’s been a good year and very difficult to choose . But hear it goes
1.. RD 360
2. Quiver
3. The Gift
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
1 ) Venom by Magie Factory ( One of the best reels I ever seen and also one of the best teaching videos I have ever seen )

2 ) 52 to 1 deck

Thurston: greg rostami.
Okay. I waited until the last minute...

1. Haunted Box (Joao Miranda)

2. The Gift (Angelo Carbone)

3. Mental Dice (Marc Antoine)

And...

Always Craig Filicetti.

Robert
Drum roll.........................
Proteus by Phedon
Stealth case by Steve cook

And Craig Filicetti
WHAT ARE THE RESULTS? It is February!
[quote]On Feb 3, 2018, Glenn Watson wrote:
WHAT ARE THE RESULTS? It is February! [/quote]

Voting goes til March 1 this year.
Butterfly Playing Cards by Ondrej Pšenicka
RD 360 by Henry Harrius
1. Vapr Watch by Sansminds
2. 52 to 1 deck by Wayne Fox
3. Inject 2 by Greg Rostami
Thurston: Peter Turner, Steve Wood, Adam - (Team Turner). Where above and beyond is the rule, not the exception. Wow! Just wow!

Frank
Humbled and very grateful for the positives. It was a pleasure to help. Many thanks and I really hope you enjoy the project.
1. The Gift by Angelo Carbone

2. Quiver
Houdin
- Haunted Box
- The Gift
- Quiver

Thurston
- Joao Miranda
[quote]On Feb 7, 2018, algebraic wrote:
Houdin
- Haunted Box
- The Gift
- Quiver

Thurston
- Joao Miranda [/quote]

Does the haunted box a 2017 or a 2018 release? I feel it was only avalaible in January but I am not 100% sure
Michael Murray for the Thurston.

Inject 2
Sensys
Inject 2
Butterfly Playing Cards
52 to 1 Deck

Thurston: Greg Rostami
Perfect Square
RD 360
Butterfly Cards

Michael Murray
Whiplash by Josh Janousky :)
[b]2 Weeks to Go![/b]

[i](Current results as of Feb.15- Please Note: This is a “copy and pasted” list. Meaning: I just went through and copy and pasted everyone’s votes into this list and still have to go back through it a couple of times to make sure voters have at least 50 posts [and there’s still time to get there, folks], that no one voted twice, eliminate ones that aren’t from 2017, random mistakes, etc.)[/i]

[b]The Houdin[/b] - [i]voting closes in 2 weeks[/i]

7 |52 to 1 by Wayne Fox & David Penn
3 |Actor's Force - Greg Rostami
3 |Alice Dopps by Prof BC
2 |Artifactum by Christopher Gould
1 |Bare The Other Brothers
1 |The Box - Joao Miranda
5 |Butterfly Deck - Ondřej Pšenička
1 |Card Stats
1 |Cbring Thumb Writer by Andreas Sebring
1 |Chinese Tweezers by Lopez
3 |Cipher by Will, Geraint and Lloyd
2 |Coin Coalition by John Jurney
1 |Concilium
1 |Conscious Magic episode 1, by Ran Pink and Andrew Gerard
1 |C-Purse by Xavier Lepronier
1 |Deceit Treat by Cameron Francis
1 |Easy Cube. Hecklau
1 |Expansion by Daniel Bryan
34 |The Gift by Angelo Carbone
3 |Gone Fishin by Roddy Mcghie
1 |Gypsy Queens - Asi Wind
2 |Haunted Box by Joao Miranda
6 |Houdini’s Eyes by Greg Rostami
2 |Hover Card Plus by Nicholas Lawrence and Dan Harlan
2 |Humint by Phill Smith
1 |IceBreaker by Francis Girola
17 |Inject 2 by Greg Rostami
1 |Innervision
4 |Instagrab by Patrick Kun
6 |Isabella star 3 by Pete Turner
3 |iThump by Ian Pigeon
2 |JJ's Coin Coalition by John Jurney
2 |Keymaster Chrome by Craig Petty
3 |Leap by Agus Tiju
1 |Lolli Hero by Steve Rowe
2 |Marksman Deck Luke Jermay
2 |Marty by SecretStudio
1 |Mental Dice by Marc Antoine
4 |Mental Pen by João Miranda and Gustavo Sereno
2 |No Brainer Bill Abbott
1 |Ophiuchus by Mark Chandeau
3 |Oraculum by Bobby Hasbun
8 |OxBender by Menny Lendenfeld
1 |Pantheon by Chris Philpott
2 |Perfect Square by JB Dumas and Michael Lam
2 |Performing the Q&A by Gerry McCambridge
6 |Position Impossible - Brent Braun
1 |Pre Vision René Nijman
6 |Proteus by Phedon Bilek
1 |Q&A Evolution by Scott Creasey
18 |Quiver by Kelvin Chow
2 |RFA Wallet, Anthony Miller RFA Productions
1 |Root Savant by Phil Smith
1 |Rubber Deception - Joe Rindfleisch
9 |Rubik's Dream by Henry Harris
2 |Sensys, by Craig Filicetti
1 |Sherlock’oin by Thomas Riboulet and Anthony Stan
1 |Shin Lims recent red release
1 |Stand Up Monte Expansion by Garrett Thomas
3 |Stealth Case, Steve Cook
5 |Tarantula 2 by Yigal Mesika
1 |TITE by RedDevil
1 |Triple C by Christian Engblom
3 |TRU by Menny Lindenfeld
2 |Vapr Watch by Sansminds
10 |Venom by Magie Factory
1 |Visionary 3 by ThoughtIllusions
1 |Void Agus Tiju
1 |Web Album by Greg Rostami
14 |Whiplash by Josh Janousky
1 |Withdrawal - Josh Janousky & Jeff Prace
3 |Xeno by Marc Kerstein
1 |The Yarn
1 |Zodiac Book Test by Lee Petrucci & Theory11

[b]The Thurston[/b] - [i]voting closes in 2 weeks[/i]

1 |Andreas Sebring
10 |Angelo Carbone
1 |Anthony Miller
3 |Card-Shark/Christian
2 |Christopher Gould
3 |Craig Filicetti
1 |Dave Bonsall
1 |Daniel Summers
1 |Gary Plants
12 |Greg Rostami
1 |Hugo Shelley
1 |Joao Miranda
2 |Josh Janousky
1 |Keith Black Hart
1 |Marc Kerstein
1 |Martin Grams
2 |Max Krause
17 |Michael Murray
1 |Nicholas Lawrence
1 |Peter Turner
4 |Phedon Bilek
3 |Reel Magic/Kozmo
1 |Richard Sanders
1 |Scott Alexander
1 |Sean Goodman
1 |Shawn Farquhar
1 |Stephen Young of Thought Illusions
1 |Todsky
1 |Vanishing Inc
2 |Vic Nadata at Gemini Artifacts
Doh. Forgot to remove Inject 2 from the list as previously discussed. If someone could do me a favor and also double check this list for me to see if there is anything else that is out of place, that would be amazing. Thanks!
Position Impossible was released in 2016.
Quiver by Kelvin Chow

Thurston - Chris Philpott

Thanks Jamie and all the creators,

Eric
Sleight of Hansen
Some real tough contenders in that list.
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
Gypsy Queens - Asi Wind
Leap by Agus Tiju

Thurston -Daniel Summers
Whiplash
Tarantula 2.0 by Yigal Mesika
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
Haunted box by João Miranda

Thurston:
Nicholas Lawrence!
I only voted for two effects earlier on in this post, after seeing all of the votes for Quiver I figured it was one to add to the arsenal. It arrived ridiculously quickly from China and is so brilliantly crafted that I’m going to add it as my third vote.

Quiver by Kelvin Chow
Quiver
Quiver ! by Kelvin Chow
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
RD360 by Henry Harrius
KeyMaster Chrome by Craig Petty
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
Inject 2.0 would win hands down if a self appointed panel of judges hadn’t decided to disqualify it. Whoever wins will need to accept they really came 2nd due to some political agenda.
If inject 2.0 cant be voted for then KeyMaster Chrome by Craig Petty would also fit that bill
And Quiver and The Gift. They are both utility props, rather than tricks in their own right. Similar to Inject 2.0 people should only be allowed to vote for specific tricks that can be performed with them. Otherwise this year's competition becomes a farce.
Quiver by kelvin chow

Rd360 by henry harrius
[quote]On Feb 25, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
And Quiver and The Gift. They are both utility props, rather than tricks in their own right. Similar to Inject 2.0 people should only be allowed to vote for specific tricks that can be performed with them. Otherwise this year's competition becomes a farce. [/quote]

Just thought I would chip in here. The Gift is sold with the routine in the video. You are not just given an empty box for you to do what you want with. You are supplied a deck to do the trick in the video. The trick is you predict a chosen card at number and that's what you get. It's the whole trick you are buying not just an empty box. Any trick could be considered a utility device because you can do other routines with it. Venom for example can do so many things. Should that be disqualified by your way of thinking too?

Thank you kindly to everyone who has voted so far. I am greatly touched and thankful!
Inject 2.0 was supplied with new tricks included too. So by that reckoning Inject 2.0 should have been allowed in.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Feb 25, 2018 11:09AM)
[quote]On Feb 24, 2018, MR Effecto wrote:
If inject 2.0 cant be voted for then KeyMaster Chrome by Craig Petty would also fit that bill [/quote]

Do you mean they were also released in 2016? "Cause I think that was the only reason you can't vote for Inject 2.0.
I don't think you can eliminate a trick because it's a utility item. SvenPads won a couple years back and it is definitely a utility item so that has been established by precedence.
The other issue with Inject 2.0 was that the original was released prior to 2017, so are updates going to be allowed? How much does the update have to add? Could Inject 3.0 theoretically win again in 2018?

The other gray area is can something be on preorder and still win? As an example, Rubik 360 was on pre-order at the tail end of 2017 but did not ship until 2018, and yet it has received some votes. Reminds me of how some movies have a very limited release before the cut-off date in order to qualify for that years Academy Awards.

These are all legitimate questions and there is probably no solution that everyone will agree to, so there will always be a certain amount of controversy surrounding this award. Makes me miss the early days of this award when people didn't take it so seriously. But now it's reached a point where phrases such as "political agenda" are being tossed around.

The fact is that any trick that receives a substantial number of votes is very likely going to receive a sales boost whether they are the winner or not. So mostly we are playing for bragging rights for the ultimate "winner". I would hate to see this thread discontinued because it stirs up the pot too much and becomes too heated. But the good news is that this year it seems to me to be more civil than the past couple years so maybe things are going in the right direction. Hope so because I always enjoy seeing the list of the final tally of votes. Thanks again Jamie!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Feb 25, 2018 11:43AM)
[quote]On Feb 25, 2018, videoman wrote:
I would hate to see this thread discontinued because it stirs up the pot too much and becomes too heated. But the good news is that this year it seems to me to be more civil than the past couple years so maybe things are going in the right direction. Hope so because I always enjoy seeing the list of the final tally of votes. Thanks again Jamie! [/quote]

X2.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Feb 25, 2018 11:48AM)
[quote]On Feb 25, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
And Quiver and The Gift. They are both utility props, rather than tricks in their own right. Similar to Inject 2.0 people should only be allowed to vote for specific tricks that can be performed with them. Otherwise this year's competition becomes a farce. [/quote]

Your statement this whole thing is a farce sounds a bit denigrating to me. I think you should at least respect the fact people put in the time and effort to think this through and vote for things they love. And the man who counts all the votes and has to deal with all these people pulling him in different directions has a tough job, IMO. But I hope next year we'll do it all over again.
I say let those be serious who want to be serious and let those have fun who want to have fun. Jamie had those he entrusted make the call to not allow updated effects. For those makers/producers of effects and props that hope to apply the contest outcome to increase their sales or just (for the love of it) enjoy the awareness of their item, they may also tout such a phrase as applicable as, "Received 15 nominations for The Magic Café's Trick of the Year". Cheers!
1 Ox Bender by Menny Lindenfeld
2 Perfect Square by JB Dumas and Michael Lam
3 The Gift by Angelo Carbone

TA Mark Traversoni
Fairly certain Voting is done on this.

This is meant to be a fun thing, let's not forget that.
Quiver by Kelvin Chow
Ox Bender by Menny Lindenfeld

Thurston Award: Michael Murray.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Feb 28, 2018 02:53AM)
The anticipation....
Houdin:

1 Cbring Thumb Writer by Andreas Sebring
2 iThump by Ian Pigeon
3 The Gift- Carbone

Thurston:

Andreas Sebring

The Thurston award is my favourite – especially when others give reasons for their nominations – it’s good to hear who the good guys are…

It was tough for me as I had a few contenders [as many creators have a marvellous attitude and the patience to help]

A very close runner up for me was Angelo Carbone – he went above and beyond – he helped me out [when clearly was busy – maybe Blackpool last year] – and he helped me out even though I didn’t buy The Gift directly from him. So thanks

Others have been great too…

But Carbone would have got my vote, if it hadn’t been for Sebring, bringing it home – both in helping far more than he needed [far more] and in general attitude. I believe his response to Miranda and Sereno’s release Mental Pen spoke volumes. I did buy two copies of Mental Pen though – yikes sorry Andreas
Houdin:

1. Rubik's Dream by Henry Harrius
2. The Gift by Angelo Carbone
3. Caught Red-Handed by Michael Mode & Arthur Ottney

Already have voted for the Thurston in a prior post
Houdin:

1. Twin Quarters by Michael Lair
2. The Gift by Angelo Carbone
3. Proteus by Phedon Bilek
1. Quiver
2. The hundred bucks
3. The gift

Thurston

Craig f
[b]AND THE WINNER IS…[/b]

[i]...before we get to that, let me just say, “Thanks!!!” a thousand times over for taking the time to vote, contribute, and celebrate. No matter if someone got 1 vote or 10, I can promise you that it meant the world to them. So- thank you![/i]

Without further ado, please put your hands together for…

[b]THE GIFT[/b] [i]by Angelo Carbone[/i]
-the 2017 “Trick of the Year” and winner of the celebrated [b]HOUDIN AWARD[/b]!
Congratulations, [b]ANGELO CARBONE[/b]

&

[b]MICHAEL MURRAY[/b]
-the 2017 winner of the venerated [b]THURSTON AWARD[/b]! Congratulations!!

[b]The Houdin[/b]

7 |52 to 1 by Wayne Fox & David Penn
3 |Actor's Force - Greg Rostami
3 |Alice Dopps by Prof BC
2 |Artifactum by Christopher Gould
1 |Bare The Other Brothers
1 |The Box - Joao Miranda
5 |Butterfly Deck - Ondřej Pšenička
1 |Card Stats
1 |Caught Red-Handed by Michael Mode & Arthur Ottney
2 |Cbring Thumb Writer by Andreas Sebring
1 |Chinese Tweezers by Lopez
3 |Cipher by Will, Geraint and Lloyd
2 |Coin Coalition by John Jurney
1 |Concilium
1 |Conscious Magic episode 1, by Ran Pink and Andrew Gerard
1 |C-Purse by Xavier Lepronier
1 |Deceit Treat by Cameron Francis
1 |Easy Cube. Hecklau
1 |Expansion by Daniel Bryan
[b]41[/b] |The Gift by Angelo Carbone
3 |Gone Fishin by Roddy Mcghie
2 |Gypsy Queens - Asi Wind
3 |Haunted Box by Joao Miranda
6 |Houdini’s Eyes by Greg Rostami
2 |Hover Card Plus by Nicholas Lawrence and Dan Harlan
2 |Humint by Phill Smith
1 |IceBreaker by Francis Girola
1 |Innervision
4 |Instagrab by Patrick Kun
6 |Isabella star 3 by Pete Turner
4 |iThump by Ian Pigeon
2 |JJ's Coin Coalition by John Jurney
3 |Keymaster Chrome by Craig Petty
4 |Leap by Agus Tiju
1 |Lolli Hero by Steve Rowe
2 |Marksman Deck Luke Jermay
2 |Marty by SecretStudio
1 |Mental Dice by Marc Antoine
4 |Mental Pen by João Miranda and Gustavo Sereno
2 |No Brainer Bill Abbott
1 |Ophiuchus by Mark Chandeau
3 |Oraculum by Bobby Hasbun
10 |OxBender by Menny Lendenfeld
1 |Pantheon by Chris Philpott
3 |Perfect Square by JB Dumas and Michael Lam
2 |Performing the Q&A by Gerry McCambridge
1 |Pre Vision René Nijman
7 |Proteus by Phedon Bilek
1 |Q&A Evolution by Scott Creasey
29 |Quiver by Kelvin Chow
2 |RFA Wallet, Anthony Miller RFA Productions
1 |Root Savant by Phil Smith
1 |Rubber Deception - Joe Rindfleisch
12 |Rubik's Dream by Henry Harris
2 |Sensys, by Craig Filicetti
1 |Sherlock’oin by Thomas Riboulet and Anthony Stan
1 |Shin Lims recent red release
1 |Stand Up Monte Expansion by Garrett Thomas
3 |Stealth Case, Steve Cook
6 |Tarantula 2 by Yigal Mesika
1 |The Hundred Bucks by
1 |TITE by RedDevil
1 |Triple C by Christian Engblom
3 |TRU by Menny Lindenfeld
1 |Twin Quarters by Michael Lair
2 |Vapr Watch by Sansminds
10 |Venom by Magie Factory
1 |Visionary 3 by ThoughtIllusions
1 |Void Agus Tiju
1 |Web Album by Greg Rostami
16 |Whiplash by Josh Janousky
1 |Withdrawal - Josh Janousky & Jeff Prace
3 |Xeno by Marc Kerstein
1 |The Yarn
1 |Zodiac Book Test by Lee Petrucci & Theory11

2 |Andreas Sebring
10 |Angelo Carbone
1 |Anthony Miller
3 |Card-Shark/Christian
1 |Chris Philpott
2 |Christopher Gould
4 |Craig Filicetti
1 |Dave Bonsall
2 |Daniel Summers
1 |Gary Plants
12 |Greg Rostami
1 |Hugo Shelley
1 |Joao Miranda
2 |Josh Janousky
1 |Keith Black Hart
1 |Marc Kerstein
1 |Mark Traversoni
1 |Martin Grams
2 |Max Krause
18 |Michael Murray
2 |Nicholas Lawrence
1 |Peter Turner
4 |Phedon Bilek
3 |Reel Magic/Kozmo
1 |Richard Sanders
1 |Scott Alexander
1 |Sean Goodman
1 |Shawn Farquhar
1 |Todsky
1 |Vanishing Inc

[b]The Thurston[/b]

1 |Andreas Sebring
10 |Angelo Carbone
1 |Anthony Miller
3 |Card-Shark/Christian
2 |Christopher Gould
3 |Craig Filicetti
1 |Dave Bonsall
1 |Daniel Summers
1 |Gary Plants
12 |Greg Rostami
1 |Hugo Shelley
1 |Joao Miranda
2 |Josh Janousky
1 |Keith Black Hart
1 |Marc Kerstein
1 |Martin Grams
2 |Max Krause
17 |Michael Murray
1 |Nicholas Lawrence
1 |Peter Turner
4 |Phedon Bilek
3 |Reel Magic/Kozmo
1 |Richard Sanders
1 |Scott Alexander
1 |Sean Goodman
1 |Shawn Farquhar
1 |Todsky
1 |Vanishing Inc

PREVIOUS WINNERS of The HOUDIN

[b]2000[/b]: [i]unavailable data[/i]
[b]2001[/b]: [i]unavailable data[/i]
[b]2002[/b]: [i]unavailable data[/i]
[b]2003[/b]: Passing Through by Kevin Parker
[b]2004[/b]: [i]unavailable data[/i]
[b]2005[/b]: Sinful by Wayne Houchin
[b]2006[/b]: Fraud by Daniel Garcia
[b]2007[/b]: [i]unavailable data[/i]
[b]2008[/b]: Multi-Dimensional by Craig Filicetti
[b]2009[/b]: [i]unavailable data[/i]
[b]2010[/b]: Get Sharky by Christoph Borer
[b]2011[/b]: Industrial Revelation from Jamie D. Grant
[b]2012[/b]: Nest Of Wallets from Nick Einhorn
[b]2013[/b]: Inferno by Joshua Jay
[b]2014[/b]: Fair Play by Steve Haynes & Inferno by Bobby Hasbun
[b]2015[/b]: Svenpad Supreme by Brett Barry
[b]2016[/b]: WikiTest by Marc Kerstein

PREVIOUS WINNERS of The THURSTON

[b]2013[/b]: Andy Nyman and The Code
[b]2014[/b]: Craig Filicetti
[b]2015[/b]: Craig Filicetti
[b]2016[/b]: Craig Filicetti
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Mar 1, 2018 04:57AM)
Thank you, Jamie! And congratulations to all contestants for their magic!
Thank you everyone who kindly voted for The Gift. I am very proud of it and I am glad so many people enjoy using it from the many messages I have received over the last year.

Congratulations also to Michael Murray for his award. A thoroughly nice chap who has taken mentalism to a whole new level. A leading creator in our art.

Well done to everyone else who has had their trick voted for. Even a few votes shows how much your trick is appreciated to be considered their trick of the year. That's just as impressive!

Thanks also to Jamie for running this annual competition for allowing us to show our appreciation of our favourite magic.

Thanks again everyone! Really appreciate it.

x x
Well done Michael Murray......... very well deserved!!

Quick prediction............ 'Isolation, Book of The year 2018'.
Well done Angelo and Michael.
:dancing:

Congratulations to Angelo Carbone and Michael Murray.

Both of these men are constantly advancing magic with their brilliant contributions to our beloved art.

I'm honored to be included in this competition with all of the effects and creators that were nominated for these awards.
As I've said before, I respect the decision to exclude Inject from the final tally.

A BIG thanks to the generous help of Jamie Grant for hosting this fun competition year after year ... We [b]LOVE[/b] you Jamie! :beatingheart:

All the best for 2018,
Greg Rostami
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Mar 1, 2018 12:50PM)
Ladies and gentleman, a true gentleman... Greg Rostami :-) Thank you for that, Greg.
Congrats to everyone! And thank you for everyone who voted for Whiplash, I'm humbled to have gotten the votes that I did!
Thank you, Jamie. Congratulations to all contestants.
So yesterday I was stuck in an eight-hour traffic jam in the UK with the bad weather. With the prospect of having to abandon the car and wander through a blizzard to find shelter for the night my mind was not in a good place, to say the least. Then my mobile phone rang and a close friend of mine delivered the news that I had won the Thurston award. To say I was both honoured and humbled is an understatement. As a shy and introverted young man, magic gave me the self-confidence to speak to others and the magic community welcomed me with open arms. It changed my entire life for the better, keeps a roof over my head and provides food on the table for my children. I love what I do and do not think of it as work.

I wake up each morning feeling truly blessed and that is all down to you guys. Without the warmth, friendship and support of this community, I would not be where I am let alone who I am. I owe everything to you guys and thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Winning the book of the year a few years back filled me with pride, but the Thurston award means so much more to me than words can say.

Sending love and the deepest of thanks to all!

Michael X
Well done Michael, you truly deserve the recognition!!!

All the best,

Paul Mc.
I really want to thank Jamie Grant for undertaking this sometime unduly fraught exercise. I am old enough to remember when peer review of new magic effects was limited to word of mouth and the occasional magazine, and I am sure I am not alone in having purchased many, many, items of limited utility. Putting together this snapshot of what has been offered over the past year is a great way to celebrate the best makers and designers, all the while pointing the rest of us in the right direction for new material and acquisitions.
Bravo!
Congratulations to our winners and thanks to Jamie for taking the time to do this each year it's much appreciated.
[quote]On Mar 1, 2018, Greg Rostami wrote:

Both of these men are constantly advancing magic with their brilliant contributions to our beloved art.

I'm honored to be included in this competition with all of the effects and creators that were nominated for these awards.
As I've said before, I respect the decision to exclude Inject from the final tally.

A BIG thanks to the generous help of Jamie Grant for hosting this fun competition year after year ... We [b]LOVE[/b] you Jamie! :beatingheart:

All the best for 2018,
Greg Rostami [/quote]
Congratulations Greg. I think we all know Inject 2.0 would have won hands down had it not been disqualified by a kangaroo court.

Also, well done to Angelo for effectively coming first from the remainder.

Lastly, congratulations to MM. Totally predictable given what an amazing guy he is.
[quote]On Mar 4, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:

[/quote]

Thank you for making me a runner up. 😲

You are also being disrespectful to Jamie, his competition and his decision (re Kangaroo Court).
[quote]On Mar 4, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
[quote]On Mar 1, 2018, Greg Rostami wrote:

All the best for 2018,
Greg Rostami [/quote]
Congratulations Greg. I think we all know Inject 2.0 would have won hands down had it not been disqualified by a kangaroo court.

Lastly, congratulations to MM. Totally predictable given what an amazing guy he is. [/quote]

WOW, Greg must be really proud of your post and tribute to him
Well done everyone who was nominated and congratulations to Angelo and Michael. And huge thanks to Jamie for taking the time and effort to do this every year. I use this thread as an excellent resource to decide what to spend my hard earned pounds on each year. I already had the wonderful Gift and was inspired to pick up Quiver which is brilliant. I'll also be looking into Michael's work. Keep it up Jamie and thanks again.
Congratulations to Angelo and Michael And also to Jamie for putting this togeather. :dancing: :dancing:
Congrats to the winners and thank you Jamie for your time in doing this!
Kudo to Michael Murray! Well deserved.
Thank you, Jamie, for your continued hard work to create this thread. It is an opportunity to focus on magician interest. I learned about "Isolation" and have been very satisfied by my purchase.
BTW: Your Industrial Revolution continues to surprise on those special occasions :)
Enjoy sharing your magic, bill
Received my Houdin award: "Anything is Possible" bottle from Jamie D Grant. Thank you to everyone and Jamie!
[quote]On Dec 24, 2017, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
Thanks for everyone who has voted for Whiplash. I’m incredibly flattered!

For the Houdin I’m voting for
1) Lolli Hero by Steve Rowe
2) Instagrab by Patrick Kun
3) Stand Up Monte Expansion by Garrett Thomas (but if that’s an issue I’ll go with 23 by Michael Weber)

For the Thurston I’m voting for Greg Rostami [/quote]

Thank you so much Josh - I missed this thread somehow, thanks for voting and using my work ;)