(Close Window)
Topic: Worst customer service award
I vote for Mystique Factory . Ordered products end of October still no products and NO communication from them after multiple emails. Lucky I used PayPal I will now ask for a refund.
Pretty sure Outlaw wins there.
The Blue Crown and, of course, Magictao.
You need to name the award...Like The Houdin Award, Razzie, etc.... So at the end of the voting we can announce: and "The Bernie Madoff Award goes to...."
Maybe it should be called the "Hankie" in honor of Hank Lee.
I second Magictao for it.
Magic Tao

Hands down !
The blue crown.You cannot get worse than nonexistent. May their phone number and email rest in peace.
Alex Pandrea's Final trick should be called. Incommunicado or you can twist in the wind aces. :kermit:
Blue crown
Magictao for sure!

They are still "moving"
What a depressing thread. It's meant to be the season of goodwill to all men (including Costas). :xmas:
[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
What a depressing thread. It's meant to be the season of goodwill to all men (including Costas). :xmas: [/quote]

not everyone is deserving of goodwill though are they...
[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, cocomax wrote:
Maybe it should be called the "Hankie" in honor of Hank Lee. [/quote]

This might be the single greatest post on the Cafť.
Phewwww.....I survived another year...
[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
Pretty sure Outlaw wins there. [/quote]

Outlaw? I've never heard any complaints and always get great service. Weird.
[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, Mac_Stone wrote:

This might be the single greatest post on the Cafť. [/quote]

But I would not call it the worst customers service. That was a crime.
[quote]On Dec 27, 2017, tdowell wrote:
[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
Pretty sure Outlaw wins there. [/quote]

Outlaw? I've never heard any complaints and always get great service. Weird. [/quote]

I know where this is coming from. I also have a Huge bone to pick with Outlaw. For several years now.
[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
What a depressing thread. It's meant to be the season of goodwill to all men (including Costas). :xmas: [/quote]
It is indeed not the nicest thread, but it helps (informs) magicians and that is not a bad thing. However, one bad comment does not mean that it is a bad dealer.
There could be several reasons...
But when a dealer is mentioned several times by several people...
I buy a lot of magic tricks from a variety of dealers. They vary in price and quality. Communication is the key to great customer service and ironically does not cost much. A lot a dealers do it well but some like MF are horrible with it.

I never had an issue with his customer service.

I suggest calling it the Ricky.
This may not be the most relevant comment for this thread, but in light of the fact that there are many reputable magic dealers who sell practically everything a magician could need (thinking specifically of Vanishing Inc and Penguin Magic - I know there are more); wouldn't a practical solution going forward be to purchase exclusively through such reputable dealers? Not trying to downplay any of the bad experiences noted here; just offering my two cents for a better 2018. Happy holidays.
But you are kinda downplaying it by saying what you have... We need to make sure people are aware of back business practices and to help one another losing cash and having bad experiences...
I think people are just blowing off some steam.

Personally I do opt only to purchase through vendors that have treated me well, but that doesn't mean I can't help others avoid the same unpleasant experiences I have had in the past (Granted, I haven't had many, thankfully - the magic world is generally pretty good to me)
I only had two [b]very, very bad[/b] experiences, so far. Roy Kueppers (from mid 2016 until beginning of 2017: 100 dollars purchase) and Hocus Pocus (around March 2017: +220 dollars purchase).
What was the issue with Hocus Pocus? I purchased from them many times and I am about to buy an expensive item from them...
[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, rockbrunnen wrote:
[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, Mac_Stone wrote:

This might be the single greatest post on the Cafť. [/quote]

But I would not call it the worst customers service. That was a crime. [/quote]

Not A crime.

Many, many crimes against many, many customers.

Only one was big enough to engage the gears of legal system, but Hank Lee charged many, many customers for "back ordered" goods that would never be shipped.
MagicTao 10000%
1. Proline
2. Outlaw

It took over a year to receive an Outlaw effect I ordered, but at least I got it.

I placed an order with Proline which I paid for in full over two years ago. I still haven't received it. I was promised I'd receive it no later than July 1st 2017. I still haven't received it.
Bob Cassidy died this year without writing the book he sold me.

Winner?

(Bob was a character. I miss him.)
The best thing to do is email the dealear a few times with questions and see how long it takes them to reply and what info they supply before you purchase anything.

If they want your business they will reply quickly. Ignore 48/72 hours for a reply.
I emailed Mystique Factory several times since the end of October when the order was made. But there was no response!! The only emails I receive from them is promoting new products which I now put into my trash.
The Blue Crown is awlful
In defense of Hocus Pokus-- I had a defective Offworld deck and the service that they gave was great.
Well, I think it is a jolly useful thread. I have wondered about a few of the dealers and tend to stick to three decent UK ones and occasionally Penguin. So far so good. But one of the names mentioned above keeps pestering me with mailers and I have been tempted. I won't be any more so thanks.
Back in the days when I was new and trusting, got screwed over by a couple of dealers.

Rock Ridge Magic - was open about the fact he was trying to screw me over when I asked. Apologized, but didn't make it okay.

Daytona Magic - can't believe they are still in business and Harry gets away with crap because, as several people I mentioned that he screwed me over told me, "That's just the way he is hahahaha." Because apparently it's okay to be a snake oil salesman and screw over your customers as long as you've been doing it for a long time.

I appreciate threads like this as well as threads that point out good customer service.
JM Authentics for me.

It will be over three months in the new year. Taken my money, no communication; started a new project developing Cutter's Playing Cards and even lied saying it was going to be sent out on this forum.

Absolutely terrible, I feel like I have been stolen from.

Jonathan Hackett
. . . . and the score thus far:-

[b]Magictao - 6

The Blue Crown - 4

Mystique Factory - 3

Outlaw - 3

Hank Lee - 2

Roy Kueppers

Hocus Pocus

Proline

Magikdata

Rock Ridge Magic

Daytona Magic

JM Authentics[/b]

If need be, please correct . :)

[quote]On Dec 26, 2017, Kozmo wrote:

[b]Phewwww.....I survived another year... [/b][/quote]

:bg:

:xmas:
Phewwww.....I survived another year... [/quote]

The year isn't over yet. :) But I think you're pretty safe.
Another vote for Hocus Pocus for me!

Whilst not a major deal breaker, about 10 years ago I once ordered a bunch of things from them and everything arrived except one. In the box was a pink slip that was basically an apology and an IOU for the trick.

Now, if this was still 1995, it wouldn't be an issue however with e-mail and communication at the speed of light, it was inexcusable! I would have rather they told me it was out of stock (or better yet, mention it on their product page!) before mailing out my order so I could buy something else I needed.

I complained to Hocus Pocus, got an apology but the whole thing didn't feel right, almost like they just wanted my money.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2017, Logan wrote:

Whilst not a major deal breaker, about 10 years ago I once ordered a bunch of things from them and everything arrived except one. In the box was a pink slip that was basically an apology and an IOU for the trick.

Now, if this was still 1995, it wouldn't be an issue however with e-mail and communication at the speed of light, it was inexcusable! I would have rather they told me it was out of stock (or better yet, mention it on their product page!) before mailing out my order so I could buy something else I needed.

I complained to Hocus Pocus, got an apology but the whole thing didn't feel right, almost like they just wanted my money. [/quote]

You're posting about something that happened to you 10 years ago???
[quote]On Dec 29, 2017, Logan wrote:

I complained to Hocus Pocus, got an apology but the whole thing didn't feel right, almost like they just wanted my money. [/quote]

I wish that was my worst experience in shopping for magic.
And yeah, 10 years ago?
Let it go bro.
Oh, I have let it go guys. I still do browse their site.

Just my 2 cents since we're on the topic is all.

Also, just goes to show how important taking care of your customers is!
Wow, Logan. Good to see you back dude. You were a great contributor to the Cafť. The good ole days.
We give pretty good service at kozmomagic and The Reel Magic Marketplace and using reel magic rebates there are some pretty good deals on the site..

:) Just sayin
In the UK, I have a problem with FULL 52. Ordered from them in October but still no goods or any reply to my emails.
Have used them before with no problem so cannot understand it. Always thought Dave Forrest was a straight up guy...
Youíre not the first Andy, to complain about Forrest. Why Iíve never ordered anything from him.

Heís one of a select few that only ever show up here to promote their latest effect. And then, as if by magic, they disappear until the dust settles.
Only ordered from Penguin and Sansminds this year.

So I'd have to say sansminds. Not terrible. But not stellar either.

Also, Roy Kueppers treated me great when I ordered a FLY unit last year.
Todd Lassen...3 emails over a 2 month period about ordering a set of coins. Not a single reply
Sansminds has to be well up there, having been in this industry for 22 years I have never encountered a company that has so little respect for its customers!

Almost every effect I have seen from them boils down to a highly edited video of unpractical material that wouldn't fool any living person. Plus their whole business ethic stinks too!

If you have been stung by their false advertising and the impractical nature of their products please feel free to agree!

Best Wishes Michael
[quote]On Dec 29, 2017, dman11 wrote:
Todd Lassen...3 emails over a 2 month period about ordering a set of coins. Not a single reply [/quote]

He doesn't answer emails, give him a call via phone and leave a message, he will call you back very shortly.

He should let it be know on his website that he doesn't answer emails. I thought the same thing as you 10 years ago when I first tried to contact him via email, until someone informed me he doesn't answer emails.
Blue Crown. Will never buy from them again. Doesn't answer repeated emails when product never shipped.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Wow, Logan. Good to see you back dude. You were a great contributor to the Cafť. The good ole days. [/quote]

It's good to be back brother!

I agree, been gone from the Cafť for far too long haha!
As much as I hate to say this, Penguin Magic has been slipping as of late. I used to really be impressed with their fast service. The last 3 orders I have placed, including one two days ago, are taking 2 to 3 days to ship. They used to ship same day. Not sure if it is a holiday thing? I always order item that show in stock and will ship today. Then a few days go by....
I'm sorry that I have to mention this guy, I am a fan. But this is just ridiculous. I'm waiting since 2012 for a 100GBP book by Mark Elsdon.

And I am not the only one. See this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=545325&forum=15

In 2014 there was news: it would be released in that year. The latest news was that we would recieve the pdf version on Friday the 13th of October 2017 and the hardcopy would be mailed out on Monday 13th of November 2017 at the latest. (SIC)

This is a post from his blog: http://elsdon.blogspot.be/2014/05/mentalism-reveals-3.html. Since this post there has only been silence. In a couple months the wait will be 6 years.
[quote]On Jan 4, 2018, Bartelli wrote:
I'm sorry that I have to mention this guy, I am a fan. But this is just ridiculous. I'm waiting since 2012 for a 100GBP book by Mark Elsdon.

And I am not the only one. See this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=545325&forum=15

In 2014 there was news: it would be released in that year. The latest news was that we would recieve the pdf version on Friday the 13th of October 2017 and the hardcopy would be mailed out on Monday 13th of November 2017 at the latest. (SIC)

This is a post from his blog: http://elsdon.blogspot.be/2014/05/mentalism-reveals-3.html. Since this post there has only been silence. In a couple months the wait will be 6 years. [/quote]

It sounds like he is following the Todd Karr Miracle Factory business model.
Blue Crow, without a doubt. Have emailed them 12 times for something purchased in November of last year and have not received. Still no response!
Roy Kueppers !!
Blue Crown as well.
I recently did a personal test by sending out a small order to a few magic supply companies. I wanted to see how they rate on accuracy of my order, responses to my emails, phone attitude courtesy, promptness and knowledge of what I was ordering. I was very surprised on the outcome. Now I know who I will be ordering from with a larger order. I will not post the losers or the winner. You do your own test, just keep it under $20.00 and see what happens.
Second vote for Full52, first and last time I'll order from him, worst customer service I've experienced in any industry.
David Regal. Doesn't reply to his emails.Not even about products just purchased from him. And I'm not the only one. No excuse for this, period. He's lost me as a customer. Hopefully his disregard for customers will continue to lose him business. or better, yet, he can maybe try treating his customers a bit better than he does currently and keep customers instead.
I ordered "Whodunit?" from Dave Forrest. I received four different emails acknowledging the order and/or payment received. I was sent a downloadable instructional video, but have not received the cards for the effect. I have emailed to daveforrest.com, his gmail account and to Full52 attaching all of the emails related to the order that I have received, but have not heard word one from him. Any other suggestions or do I just contact PayPal to get a refund for undelivered merchandise?
Dave Forrest ripped off 203 backers for £19,703 in his Kickstarter for Cubism.
[quote]On Apr 13, 2018, BostonBlackie wrote:
Dave Forrest ripped off 203 backers for £19,703 in his Kickstarter for Cubism. [/quote]

Care to explain how?
Hi everybody,

I ordered a pad from JM Authentics almost one year ago (July 18th 2017, The Thistle Close Up Pad/Mat 24x17" Navigator) and I never received it. I wrote to JM Authentics after 5 weeks of ordering it, asking when I was supposed to receive it. Jordan Murphy replied "Our standard lead time is 2-4 weeks". After 2 months I wrote again and Jordan replied saying he could rebuild the order. I said yes, do that please. 2 months later I sent over a dozen emails to Jordan Murphy from JM Authentics, he never replied...

I hope people out there are able to read my case because, quite frankly, not only I am very disappointed, but I have also find out that I am not alone with this. Dozens of other people have been conned by this guy/company, by paying for something they never got. I hope everyone here realizes this is stealing, fraud, it's a criminal activity, as simple as that. And I also hope this post serves as well for everybody to have knowledge that you must not buy anything from JM Authentics nor Jordan Murphy by any mean. He will simply keep your money and forget about you.

I am really amazed that people like this are still able to keep on doing it and getting out with it. Someone needs to do something about it, seriously.
You hear from time to time about people who communicate well before the sale, then go radio silent after the sale. I avoid those like the plague. Some come through, of course, but I dislike doing business with those who do that.
I must add Boardwalk Magic in Santa Cruz, Calif. to this list. They took and confirmed my order....and that is it. Over a month and follow up emails and phone calls to their voicemail go unanswered.
Dealing with Magic and Such has been a frustrating experience. I recently, about three weeks ago, ordered about $100 worth of tricks and have not received any communication from them after three phone calls and two emails. Not impressed. I still have no idea if my order is actually on its way.The money has been taken out of my credit card account. Has anyone dealt with them? What are your experiences?
I feel that by sticking to the major companies like Penguin, Vanishing, and Hocus Pocus there's a better chance of having a good experience. Not that any of them are perfect, but it seems like they are at least more accountable to customers and care about their reputations for the long term.
Blue Crown, totally incompetent and non-responsive. Also recently scr*wed on an item from Hocus Pocus, arrived Used instead of New as described. They basically told me to go take a walk. Very positive on Penguin and Vanishing Inc.
I went back and looked at my emails. M J M and the magic gadget site were very accommodating. Shawn from mimesis-magic.com has been outstandingly excellent with service and has some terrific, unique items to boot.
I saved hundreds of dollars just in an order I was placing at Fakini's, decided to look around and posts similar to this told me they weren't selling, but still taking money.

So I went to Sterlini's and am happy as I can be.

Threads like these are invaluable to customers who are wise enough to look at outside reviews.

I've purchased from many places and can give quite a few recommendations, but thankfully very few critisisms.
I think Mark Elsdon should be on this list. Six years of waiting on a pre-paid book...
Full 52 has never replied to any inquiries that I had about one of their products. I am also disappointed with Big Blind Media, even though I really like Liam Montier and Francis Cameron.
I live in Canada and have ordered many times from UK dealers such as Alakazam and Saturn Magic. These dealers don't charge VAT for customers outside the EU.
Big Blind Media gave me a cryptic reply to my question if they would charge VAT. I quote :"What was it you were looking to purchase? Many of our items are already priced with no VAT! (We have country specific pricing for a large number for products)."
I call BS on the "country specific pricing" and the "many items are already priced with no VAT"
Why not exclude VAT at checkout time or post Vat exclusion like Saturn does? I will buy BBM products through Saturn or Alakazam befor I order directly from BBM.
[quote]On Feb 4, 2018, tony4938 wrote:
Second vote for Full52, first and last time I'll order from him, worst customer service I've experienced in any industry. [/quote]

Another vote for Full52 and Dave Forrest.
You order stuff from him, he doesn't deliver, if you're lucky he may reply to email an promise to follow up, but nothing happens.
Terrible customer service. especially when you pay them for something and you never get it.
I recommend staying far away from Full52.com
OK, so I did finally receive my order from Full52, but only AFTER I opened a PayPal dispute...lesson learned to never order from Full52 EVER again.
Thanks for the tip!
Magictao for sure. Thankfully I buy only from Penguin now.
I have pre-ordered Madisonist decks from end of January, spent around 300 quid in his store and have yet to receive a single product. Emailed him many times and have yet to get a reply. Would really appreciate it if someone who has contact with Daniel Madison to help me out with this. My paypal claim period has ended and it was only because I believed he was going through a tough time with some form of addiction. Apart from that, would advice you guys to stay away from him
I'm jumping on the FULL 52 bandwagon, if there's room!

Ordered and paid for an item many weeks ago and nothing. Several emails to Dave Forrest have gone unanswered. The last one will go to him today stating that if the product, or communication from him is not received in one week, I will open a PayPal dispute.
Update:

After sending an email to Dave Forrest threatening A PayPal dispute, I had a reply from him literally within two minutes. He advised me that my item had been shipped.

Amazing how just threatening a dispute, can make some of these guys jump to action. All I was looking for in the first place was either my item, or some form of communication about it. Seems pretty simple to me.
Have you received the item (or a tracking number)?

Or was his advice that the item "was in the mail" enough to keep you from opening a dispute?
[quote]On Dec 28, 2017, dustboy wrote:
Well, I think it is a jolly useful thread. I have wondered about a few of the dealers and tend to stick to three decent UK ones and occasionally Penguin. So far so good. But one of the names mentioned above keeps pestering me with mailers and I have been tempted. I won't be any more so thanks. [/quote]

The thread is indeed useful but without naming this pestering company, can we say the same for your post?
[quote]On Sep 10, 2018, art85y wrote:
[quote]On Dec 28, 2017, dustboy wrote:
Well, I think it is a jolly useful thread. I have wondered about a few of the dealers and tend to stick to three decent UK ones and occasionally Penguin. So far so good. But one of the names mentioned above keeps pestering me with mailers and I have been tempted. I won't be any more so thanks. [/quote]

The thread is indeed useful but without naming this pestering company, can we say the same for your post? [/quote]

I would have to guess Dave Forrest. I have been getting a lot of emails from him lately.
[quote]On Sep 7, 2018, 0pus wrote:

Or was his advice that the item "was in the mail" enough to keep you from opening a dispute? [/quote]

Dave sent an email saying that the item had been shipped and if I didnít receive it in the next couple of days, to let him know. That was more than a week ago. Iíve sent him another email telling him I have still not received the item and asking him to please advise the status. So far, nothing. Iíll send him one more message and if I donít hear from, or trecrive the item, Iíll initiate a PayPal dispute.
I would really prefer to just get the item I bought and paid for but this is ridiculous already.
[quote]On Sep 16, 2018, Doug Arden wrote:

Or was his advice that the item "was in the mail" enough to keep you from opening a dispute? [/quote]

Dave sent an email saying that the item had been shipped and if I didnít receive it in the next couple of days, to let him know. That was more than a week ago. Iíve sent him another email telling him I have still not received the item and asking him to please advise the status. So far, nothing. Iíll send him one more message and if I donít hear from, or trecrive the item, Iíll initiate a PayPal dispute.
I would really prefer to just get the item I bought and paid for but this is ridiculous already. [/quote]

I Am assuming it wasnt Cubism but an item from his shop?
Phewwww.....I survived another year... [/quote]

Kozmo....

I can nominate you if you want?

I did some window shopping on your site last year. I didn't buy the items I was looking at....and I still have not got them.

... So I guess I could complain about my order (that I didn't place) not being delivered very quickly, no emails from you, not even a "you left something in your basket" email.

It would be a little unfair to nominate you based on that ... but I can if you really want? :)

Have a good week.
Na I'm good :)
My votes:

1. The Merchant of Magic UK - magicshop.co.uk
2. Warped Magic in UK - warpedmagic.co.uk
3. The Secret Source US - thesecretsource.com

:thumbsdown: my experience :thumbsdown:
Update on Magic and Such.After I called them and another email, I finally received a reply. They said that they were a mom and pop business that got overwhelmed by their big sale. They could not fulfill any orders in a timely matter and lost some info. They were very apologetic and included a free trick. I believed their excuses but was not impressed by their lack of communication. All in all I will reconsider buying from them.
Update on Magic and Such.After I called them and another email, I finally received a reply. They said that they were a mom and pop business that got overwhelmed by their big sale. They could not fulfill any orders in a timely matter and lost some info. They were very apologetic and included a free trick. I believed their excuses but was not impressed by their lack of communication. All in all I will reconsider buying from them.
[quote]On Sep 16, 2018, Doug Arden wrote:

I would really prefer to just get the item I bought and paid for but this is ridiculous already. [/quote]

I wouldn't be so patient. I would go straight to a PayPal dispute.
I know it is an unpleasant thing to do but there is nothing wrong on your part.
I have had great limited experience with hocus-pocus and no bad experiences to date (although with 2 orders pending from magic and such, maybe that will change based on the comment above). Specifically for hocus-pocus I had ordered Rubik's dream (recent 35% discount code applied to that but not Rubik's Dream 360) and they were out of stock, so offered to substitute RD360. Yes, please! Just got it in the mail today with The Gift and a couple of other items.
Searching for Focus by Dave Forrest is what led me to this thread in the first place (new addition to Kozmo's marketplace today).
If you order it directly instead of through Kozmo, you might find that Dave Forrest lacks focus.
[quote]On Jan 9, 2019, skoldpadda wrote:
I have had great limited experience with hocus-pocus and no bad experiences to date (although with 2 orders pending from magic and such, maybe that will change based on the comment above). Specifically for hocus-pocus I had ordered Rubik's dream (recent 35% discount code applied to that but not Rubik's Dream 360) and they were out of stock, so offered to substitute RD360. Yes, please! Just got it in the mail today with The Gift and a couple of other items. [/quote]

Well Hocus Pocus are great dealers and also great people...
[quote]On Jan 9, 2019, skoldpadda wrote:
Searching for Focus by Dave Forrest is what led me to this thread in the first place (new addition to Kozmo's marketplace today). [/quote]

Same thing just happened to me. 😀 I'm on the fence about focus. Kozmos customer service has been second to none for me.
When it comes to customer service we have one goal....if we were having a problem how would we like to be treated. that's how we look at it. We make mistakes often but try really hard to fix those mistakes. we care. Truth is we want your money and if we don't care, if we don't take care of problems then we wont get your money. that's how we look at it. So when you buy something from Reel Magic or the Marketplace or Kozmo Magic. Trust that we are doing our best to take care of you.
[quote]On Jan 27, 2019, Kozmo wrote:
When it comes to customer service we have one goal....if we were having a problem how would we like to be treated. that's how we look at it. We make mistakes often but try really hard to fix those mistakes. we care. Truth is we want your money and if we don't care, if we don't take care of problems then we wont get your money. that's how we look at it. So when you buy something from Reel Magic or the Marketplace or Kozmo Magic. Trust that we are doing our best to take care of you. [/quote]

BOOOM!

Not tryin' to stroke Koz, , but I did purchase Focus and (I get people are ****d at the creator, and rightfully so) but Koz accidently sent 2 of em' (focus) to me. He said "give it (extra one) to a friend". Again, 2nd to none customer service. Call him, he'll answer. I am not affiliated other than being a subscriber to RealMsgic. just my $.02
*** BUYER BEWARE ***
Dave from Full 52 Productions never answers his emails and has never sent my items.
Items ordered December 19th. 2018
[quote]On Feb 4, 2019, 13 wrote:
*** BUYER BEWARE ***
Dave from Full 52 Productions never answers his emails and has never sent my items.
Items ordered December 19th. 2018 [/quote]

Thanks for the info 13, saves us a lot of trouble....
Merchant of Magic - MagicShop.co.uk
don't totally fulfil orders, send out used items and don't respond to complaints
Another buyer beware for Dave Forrest.
I also have not received my order (o/n 14550) I have waited over a month with no response from my emails) This has happened before from this company, but I thought it was a one off. This is obviously not the case. Never again will I never order again from full52. How does he stay in business?
FULL 52 Productions is a RIP OFF ... BUYER BEWARE
Update. As per a previous poster, I contacted Dave Forrest again and said I would open a PayPal dispute if I did not receive my goods.I received an email within a few hours saying that my order had been posted. I received it 2 days later.
[quote]On Feb 21, 2019, Proton21 wrote:
Update. As per a previous poster, I contacted Dave Forrest again and said I would open a PayPal dispute if I did not receive my goods.I received an email within a few hours saying that my order had been posted. I received it 2 days later. [/quote]

No reason a customer has to go to this measure to receive purchases.
[quote]On Feb 21, 2019, Dan Ford wrote:
[quote]On Feb 21, 2019, Proton21 wrote:
Update. As per a previous poster, I contacted Dave Forrest again and said I would open a PayPal dispute if I did not receive my goods.I received an email within a few hours saying that my order had been posted. I received it 2 days later. [/quote]

No reason a customer has to go to this measure to receive purchases. [/quote]

Dan, you are so right! Buyer Beware.
I always thought he had an unusual middle name...

Dave [i]'Caveat Emptor'[/i] Forrest

I suppose it's not a stage name? ;)
Another vote for Blue Crown. Now I exclusively shop at Penguin. Great customer service.
So I ordered something from Full 52. Order was processed but no shipping information given. I waited a week before emailing Dave to ask for shipping info. Never got back to me. A week later, after reading this thread, I opened a dispute. He emails me tells me it's been sent when it was processed. I receive my item literally a day after I open the dispute, which of course means it was already on its' way as Dave said it was. Will I buy there again? Well, maybe...if he has something no one else has, but yeah I like to know my shipping info if the seller has it. He of course did have the shipping info but by the time he posted it with paypal I had gotten my item. In other words, he sent it promptly but lacked communication. I still feel like an ass though in this situation, since I got the item RIGHT after I freaked.
It is better to err on the side of caution with him, so don't feel bad (considering his track record).
[quote]On Mar 7, 2019, dismany wrote:
So I ordered something from Full 52. Order was processed but no shipping information given. I waited a week before emailing Dave to ask for shipping info. Never got back to me. A week later, after reading this thread, I opened a dispute. He emails me tells me it's been sent when it was processed. I receive my item literally a day after I open the dispute, which of course means it was already on its' way as Dave said it was. Will I buy there again? Well, maybe...if he has something no one else has, but yeah I like to know my shipping info if the seller has it. He of course did have the shipping info but by the time he posted it with paypal I had gotten my item. In other words, he sent it promptly but lacked communication. I still feel like an ass though in this situation, since I got the item RIGHT after I freaked. [/quote]

I don't see many others posting similar experiences with Dave Forest. I have seen lots more of the negative. His communication IS lacking and I have sent him very few emails to ask about Cubism. I have not had any replies. I accept that he has had some very negative and verging on offensive comments said about him and in emails. But if he had kept people in the loop and communicated with us there would have been a lot fewer complaints.

He could easily turn it around with an honest email to us all and then keep us informed via email.

Don't feel like you freaked. Just drop him an email and say you received it. Close the Paypal dispute - all will be good.
[quote]On Jan 31, 2018, Dan Ford wrote:
I recently did a personal test by sending out a small order to a few magic supply companies. I wanted to see how they rate on accuracy of my order, responses to my emails, phone attitude courtesy, promptness and knowledge of what I was ordering. I was very surprised on the outcome. Now I know who I will be ordering from with a larger order. I will not post the losers or the winner. You do your own test, just keep it under $20.00 and see what happens. [/quote]

Yes and if we all choose the same sellers we will have the same results as you and then we will have all spent under $20 with a range of 4 or 5 dealers for stuff we didn't necessarily need or want but we will all have the same info that you have.

Thanks for sharing.

For me - I now avoid the followong:

Full 52
Dave Forest

I am waiting for several things from Mark Elsdon.

I generally just buy from:

Vanishing
and occasionally from

Saturn
Penguin
I realize that the topic here is about bad customer service and I'm only a hobbyist but I have a moral need to speak out about a great magician with great customer service who is not with us anymore: Daryl Easton. You can only realize how much bad there is in some people when you know the good people.

A couple of years ago I made an order on his site. Nothing special, just fun items for a hobbyist like me who adores Daryl. The cost was like 35-40 dollars (can't remember exactly). The thing is that my inexperience ordering oversea at the time (I'm from Italy) made me think that my package might be lost or something after like 10-12 days of waiting. Now I know that's normal. So I contacted Daryl by email and he responded very quickly. He said he was sorry for the trouble and that he'ld send me another package with a LITTLE extra goodies for the trouble I had.
So he did and I received that package with the extras. You won't believe me but he sent me about $175 of his magic!!! I immediately sent him an email telling him that if I happened to also recieve the first one I would send it back to him. I was very touched by him giving me all that stuff for free which I still have in that same box he sent me and I keep it with love and care.
After a while I also received the first order (about a month and a half or something like that after shipping) and I sent it back to him.
When I told him that I didn't expect that the LITTLE something he gave me for free was going to be about $175 of stuff he said "Enjoy the goodies, my friend, I can tell that you love the Art" (I recall something like that and he only knew me by email).

I still think about this every now and then! What a man!
As you can see there are beautiful people in the magic community (or should I say there were?) but we're losing a lot of them sadly.
Sorry if I'm off topic but I don't know where to write this and it's something I had on my mind for some years now.
This is an example of more than the best customer service!
Love for Daryl!
[quote]On Mar 12, 2019, bluesmagic wrote:
I realize that the topic here is about bad customer service and I'm only a hobbyist but I have a moral need to speak out about a great magician with great customer service who is not with us anymore: Daryl Easton. You can only realize how much bad there is in some people when you know the good people.

A couple of years ago I made an order on his site. Nothing special, just fun items for a hobbyist like me who adores Daryl. The cost was like 35-40 dollars (can't remember exactly). The thing is that my inexperience ordering oversea at the time (I'm from Italy) made me think that my package might be lost or something after like 10-12 days of waiting. Now I know that's normal. So I contacted Daryl by email and he responded very quickly. He said he was sorry for the trouble and that he'ld send me another package with a LITTLE extra goodies for the trouble I had.
So he did and I received that package with the extras. You won't believe me but he sent me about $175 of his magic!!! I immediately sent him an email telling him that if I happened to also recieve the first one I would send it back to him. I was very touched by him giving me all that stuff for free which I still have in that same box he sent me and I keep it with love and care.
After a while I also received the first order (about a month and a half or something like that after shipping) and I sent it back to him.
When I told him that I didn't expect that the LITTLE something he gave me for free was going to be about $175 of stuff he said "Enjoy the goodies, my friend, I can tell that you love the Art" (I recall something like that and he only knew me by email).

I still think about this every now and then! What a man!
As you can see there are beautiful people in the magic community (or should I say there were?) but we're losing a lot of them sadly.
Sorry if I'm off topic but I don't know where to write this and it's something I had on my mind for some years now.
This is an example of more than the best customer service!
Love for Daryl! [/quote]

Daryl!!! I loved Daryl. I met him briefly a couple times at the magic meeting in Las Vegas...two of the nicest magicians I've ever met I met at that place, that night. Daryl and Johnny Thompson...both gone now and to me the world really does feel smaller and colder with such folks leaving the earth plane. I never bought stuff from Daryl directly but just by the type of personality he had when meeting me it was clear that his love was for the art of magic, not the making of money.
Message: Posted by: Elizabeth Brookes (Mar 28, 2019 03:27AM)
Penguin magic have been terrible with me so far.

Trying to get a reply via email takes days, they mess up my order and their partner system is a joke.

I've never had so much trouble with a company than I have with penguin.

Liz
[quote]On Mar 28, 2019, Elizabeth Brookes wrote:
I've never had so much trouble with a company than I have with Penguin.

Liz [/quote]

Welcome to the Cafť, Liz! This bothers me more than I can say...

Doug
[quote]On Mar 28, 2019, Elizabeth Brookes wrote:
Penguin magic have been terrible with me so far.

Trying to get a reply via email takes days, they mess up my order and their partner system is a joke.

I've never had so much trouble with a company than I have with penguin.

Liz [/quote]

Trying emailing acar@penguinmagic.com
Full 52...Never, ever, again.
Boardwalk Magic in Santa Cruz-- over a month- numerous emails and promises to "make it right" and nothing
Buyer beware!!!!!
Not sure how they can do business that way
My last 4 orders from The Magic Warehouse have taken 4 or 5 days to ship. Might as well not pay extra for Priority Mail with shipping like that.
[quote]On May 21, 2019, alondon wrote:
Boardwalk Magic in Santa Cruz-- over a month- numerous emails and promises to "make it right" and nothing
Buyer beware!!!!!
Not sure how they can do business that way [/quote]

Same experience. ordered three weeks ago no replies to call or texts! Avoid this business!
:magician:
[quote]On May 24, 2019, rowdymagi5 wrote:
My last 4 orders from The Magic Warehouse have taken 4 or 5 days to ship. Might as well not pay extra for Priority Mail with shipping like that. [/quote]

Avoid this merchant. Look at the fine print in which they reserve to not grant refunds if something is out of stock.
:wow: