(Close Window)
Topic: Nightmare Alley Remake
By Guillermo del Toro. This could be interesting...
Interesting. At first I though del Toro would star but evidently he's just directing. Who would you cast?
I don't understand.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Jan 2, 2018 07:26AM)
[quote]On Jan 2, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I don't understand. [/quote]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039661/
Thank you Mr. Vanderbeck. I'll check it out.
Http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-nightmare-alley/
After only watching about half the movie on YouTube I wonder how so many so called secrets have survived mentalism? The amount of exposed items in 1947 should have killed the art long ago. It continues seemingly unfettered and yet we balk at even discussions with our own in secret places meant only for those truly interested. Submitted as one of the great ironies of the Café and especially among the mentally inclined.
And you have not read the book, in comparison the film give very little away (both are great anyway).

Great news, I doubt it will append but I would love it :)
[quote]On Jan 1, 2018, Rocketeer wrote:
Interesting. At first I though del Toro would star but evidently he's just directing. Who would you cast? [/quote]

Wrong Del Toro.
Thank you Mr. Vanderbeck. I'll check it out. [/quote]
Read the book!
The movie is wonderful, but the book adds a LOT more to the story, and the ending is more dramatic.
[quote]On Jan 2, 2018, RCP wrote:
Http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-nightmare-alley/ [/quote]

The article is wrong about Joan Blondell being the shrink. She was Mme. Zeena and great in that role.

Not sure it needs to be remade - the original still holds up well - but del Toro makes good movies.
Iain,

D'oh! I've been confusing Guillermo with Benicio for months! And I was wondering when he decided to go from acting to directing. Thanks for clearing that up.
Sorry, but no. No, no, no. Terrible idea.

If it were a biopic about the book's author William Lindsay Gresham - comparable to something like "Shadowlands" or "Saving Mr. Banks," that's one thing. Get it to book-end "Shadowlands" like how "The Darkest Hour" gets to book-end "Dunkirk." Critical and commercial gold.

But to hand this over to someone whose PG-13 rated movies are all flops and whose calling card is divisive R-rated movies that you can't tell are intended for kids or for adults? No, thanks. Let's hope this one stays stuck in development hell forever.
Guillermo Del Toro is a brilliant artist: Pan's Labyrinth is an incomparably dark, dangerous, magical film, and The Shape of Water is astonishingly beautiful. Much as I enjoy noir in general and the Power movie in particular, it's not perfect -- and certain plot points were softened to cater to audience tastes of the day. I can only imagine the delights in store for modern audiences if Del Toro were turned loose on a gritty circus midway to track a mentalist's rise and eventual degradation. If I could buy my tickets now, I would.
After only watching about half the movie on YouTube I wonder how so many so called secrets have survived mentalism? The amount of exposed items in 1947 should have killed the art long ago. It continues seemingly unfettered and yet we balk at even discussions with our own in secret places meant only for those truly interested. Submitted as one of the great ironies of the Café and especially among the mentally inclined. [/quote]

Careful my friend, that's a can of worms you've got there.
The original is so great I have mixed feelings about a remake. If you track down the book, make sure it's a reprint of the 1st edition ( like the New York Review of Books paperback ) Later editions were heavily censored.
Love to see this!!!! :dancing:
I love the original film and have high expectations about the remake.
BTW, the Nightmare Alley audio book is worth checking out too
Actually its VERY RARE these days that a great movie is turned out. The industry seems to have lost its way in terms of crafting a good story. The acting/directing in general is not what it was. I find myself turning off new movies in the first 20 mins and spending more time watching older movies. They are just so much better than the crap that's being spewed out these days. So I would be really surprised if they make a good job of this. On the other hand we now have videos, streaming android boxes, youtube, social media etc. Exposure spreads a lot easier than it used to. And if this movie exposes some of the core basics as the original did its not a good thing for Mentalism. I disagree with previous posts. I think Mentalism is a LOT weaker than it used to be because of all kinds of exposure on TV the internet etc. But having said that I am past caring. Maybe this will be an exception and be a great movie however I predict it won't be.