(Close Window)
Topic: The Time Traveller by Kieron Johnson
Message: Posted by: Seth Kristopher Race (Jan 28, 2018 03:54AM)
Kieron Johnson, The Time Traveller. A Magician Before His Time.

I got this book at MagiFest this year from Kieron. I have read through it TWICE, itís that good! I honestly canít believe some of the stuff he actually put in here. It is ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT!! In one chapter, he teaches you what you need to make your own To The Max gimmicks, that alone is worth the price of the book to me.

The book is Volume 1 in a series, and I really canít wait to see what he puts in the other Volumes. This one is 91 pages long, and it has pictures in there for you to follow along with what youíre reading. There is also a foreword from Mark Traversoni, an introduction from Joel Dickinson & John Morton and even an intro from Kieron himself. What follows are 19 chapters, 17 of which are all great bits of methodology & concepts Kieron has devoloped over the years, as well as full blown effects. You could easily combine everything in this book in to one solid act and fry every mind in the room.

I canít say I have a favorite effect in the book because there is actually a tie for 2. The first one, you take a HOT CUP of coffee or tea or any other beverage, your soectator can feel or taste the temperature of it, but under your control, you cause it to become ICE COLD! As for the kicker you actually make part of the liquid FREEZE 😵

The second is Kieronís take on the Invisible Deck routine, but with his you have a block of Ice on display througout your act and when I say block of Ice, I mean like the size of a standard builders brick, if not bigger. But at the end of youíre act you either present it as time travel that you were able to go back in time and flip one card over before you ever started, or as the standard invisible deck prediction routine. Because of the foggyness of ice (unless you boil it) you canít really see the deck in there, A.) depending on how thick the ice is B.) What back design is your Invisble Deck & C.) the foggyness of the ice.

Kieronís Magic has always had a Beautiful Chaos to it and this book really shows that. He truly has a next level way of thinking and I think anyone who is familiar with Kieronís work or just love creating IMPOSSIBLE moments will love this book too & you should definitley pick this up!
[quote]On Jan 28, 2018, Seth Kristopher Race wrote:
, The Time Traveller. A Magician Before His Time.

I got this book at MagiFest this year from Kieron. I have read through it TWICE, itís that good! I honestly canít believe some of the stuff he actually put in here. It is ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT!! In one chapter, he teaches you what you need to make your own To The Max gimmicks, that alone is worth the price of the book to me.[/quote]

That's a shame, too bad he didn't teach how to make Element gimmicks instead. But I'm guessing Ellusionist "thinks" they own the rights now.
[quote]On Jan 28, 2018, mantel wrote:
, The Time Traveller. A Magician Before His Time.

I got this book at MagiFest this year from Kieron. I have read through it TWICE, itís that good! I honestly canít believe some of the stuff he actually put in here. It is ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT!! In one chapter, he teaches you what you need to make your own To The Max gimmicks, that alone is worth the price of the book to me.[/quote]

That's a shame, too bad he didn't teach how to make Element gimmicks instead. But I'm guessing Ellusionist "thinks" they own the rights now. [/quote]

The Element gimmick is made by a professional and there's no way that you can do it at home.. At least I can't..

Just purchase Element and you'll get a high quality gimmick and routines that you'll use for the rest of your life.

Best purchase from the last 3 /4 years for me. (With OxBender)
Thanks for the great review Seth we are so pleased you like the book.

This is the first in a series of books from Kieron and this volume is limited to 500 all signed and numbered.

Kieron and myself were at Magifest last weekend and were overwhelmed by the reaction to his show and his magic lecture.

Look on social media for the picture of Joshua Jay in a pink umbrella wearing a blue poncho and yellow rubber gloves while Kieron water sports over him into a swimming pool held by Andi Gladwin. If that does not conjure up a picture for you nothing will!

https://www.facebook.com/magifest/photos/a.10155279185008061.1073741832.184412768060/10155279186008061/?type=3&theater

When Kieron lectured at the convention and we were literally mobbed at the end selling out of books and most of the items we took with us.

So back to the book, it is limited edition 500 copies and all are numbered and signed.

It contains a wide range of magic and some innovative thinking, just what you would expect from Kieron.

The book will be on pre sale on Monday and will ship on February 15th, the cost will be $55.

Half of the books have already been sold before we have even listed it on our website for sale which is amazing.

Kieron will be doing a Facebook Live to talk about the book and will be on here before then to tell you where and when to tune in.
Kieron Johnson, The Time Traveller. A Magician Before His Time.

I got this book at MagiFest this year from Kieron. I have read through it TWICE, itís that good! I honestly canít believe some of the stuff he actually put in here. It is ABSOLUTLEY BRILLIANT!! In one chapter, he teaches you what you need to make your own To The Max gimmicks, that alone is worth the price of the book to me.

The book is Volume 1 in a series, and I really canít wait to see what he puts in the other Volumes. This one is 91 pages long, and it has pictures in there for you to follow along with what youíre reading. There is also a foreword from Mark Traversoni, an introduction from Joel Dickinson & John Morton and even an intro from Kieron himself. What follows are 19 chapters, 17 of which are all great bits of methodology & concepts Kieron has devoloped over the years, as well as full blown effects. You could easily combine everything in this book in to one solid act and fry every mind in the room.

I canít say I have a favorite effect in the book because there is actually a tie for 2. The first one, you take a HOT CUP of coffee or tea or any other beverage, your soectator can feel or taste the temperature of it, but under your control, you cause it to become ICE COLD! As for the kicker you actually make part of the liquid FREEZE 😵

The second is Kieronís take on the Invisible Deck routine, but with his you have a block of Ice on display througout your act and when I say block of Ice, I mean like the size of a standard builders brick, if not bigger. But at the end of youíre act you either present it as time travel that you were able to go back in time and flip one card over before you ever started, or as the standard invisible deck prediction routine. Because of the foggyness of ice (unless you boil it) you canít really see the deck in there, A.) depending on how thick the ice is B.) What back design is your Invisble Deck & C.) the foggyness of the ice.

Kieronís Magic has always had a Beautiful Chaos to it and this book really shows that. He truly has a next level way of thinking and I think anyone who is familiar with Kieronís work or just love creating IMPOSSIBLE moments will love this book too & you should definitley pick this up! [/quote]

Thanks Seth glad you like it itís got some pretty out there concepts in there realy value the support the response from magi fest was overwhelming

Kind regards

Kieron
[quote]On Jan 29, 2018, Saturn UK wrote:
Thanks for the great review Seth we are so pleased you like the book.

This is the first in a series of books from Kieron and this volume is limited to 500 all signed and numbered.

Kieron and myself were at Magifest last weekend and were overwhelmed by the reaction to his show and his magic lecture.

Look on social media for the picture of Joshua Jay in a pink umbrella wearing a blue poncho and yellow rubber gloves while Kieron water sports over him into a swimming pool held by Andi Gladwin. If that does not conjure up a picture for you nothing will!

https://www.facebook.com/magifest/photos/a.10155279185008061.1073741832.184412768060/10155279186008061/?type=3&theater

When Kieron lectured at the convention and we were literally mobbed at the end selling out of books and most of the items we took with us.

So back to the book, it is limited edition 500 copies and all are numbered and signed.

It contains a wide range of magic and some innovative thinking, just what you would expect from Kieron.

The book will be on pre sale on Monday and will ship on February 15th, the cost will be $55.

Half of the books have already been sold before we have even listed it on our website for sale which is amazing.

Kieron will be doing a Facebook Live to talk about the book and will be on here before then to tell you where and when to tune in. [/quote]

Thanks mark it will 8 pm UK time wensday I will show a concept from the book as well

Kind regards

Kieron
Your penguin lecture is my all time favorite lecture so this book I know is gonna rock!
The cat is out of the bag. The Time Traveller is a gem of a book. This is first class material and I will be adding so much of it in to my close up sets and also in to my show.
I have watched Kieron perform the routines within the book, Kieron is exceptionally generous releasing this work. This is material which will last you a life time.

There is a huge amount of variety, actually the whole book is about variety. I can't rate this highly enough and I'm really looking forward to collecting the future Time Travellers.
How do I pre order this?
After experiencing Kieronís Magi-Fest lecture, I was one of many who walked up to his booth and bought everything he had.

Awesome stuff, Kieron!
[quote]On Jan 29, 2018, Billybonkers wrote:
How do I pre order this? [/quote]

It will be on Saturn magic soon its official release date is blackpool we took some to magifest we sold out of them which was amazing we have another batch printed at the moment. The book is limited to 500 copies.

Kind regards

Kieron
I will be hosting a Facebook live at 8 pm UK time tomorrow night talking about the book it will be on preorder by then as well.

Kind regards

Kieron
Thanks Kieron,

With only 500 copies available I'm worried that I may miss out especially as there's only 250 left and your taking a batch to blackpool.
[quote]On Jan 30, 2018, Billybonkers wrote:
Thanks Kieron,

With only 500 copies available I'm worried that I may miss out especially as there's only 250 left and your taking a batch to blackpool. [/quote]

It will be on preorder tomorrow night I will Hofuly have some left for Blackpool I decided two do a speacel offer for pre order as there no incentive these days. I also wanted to rewards those who support my work. If you preorder the book Iím throwing in a to the max gimmick and a modified sharpie and free world wide shipping on all preorder. I decided to do this as I think support should be rewarded. It will be available from Saturn magic.
Thanks kieron.
Is it $55 usd or 55 pounds?
[quote]On Jan 30, 2018, randyburtis wrote:
Is it $55 usd or 55 pounds? [/quote]

Hi randy itís 40 pounds 55 American dollers free world wide shipping and two already made gimmick to go with the book with all preorders.

Plus 10 never before puplshed effects stage close up parlour itís quite a mix of concepts.

Kind regards

Kieron
Coolio! Thanks!
Here is the link to the book.

https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/the-time-traveller-by-kieron-johnson.html

Kind regards

Kieron
Is this a Saturn Magic Exclusive or will it be available from other online dealers?
Murphys Magic will have some to distribute, but to receive the free To The Max gimmick and the Pen gimmick you must order from us before 14th Feb.

We are offering free worldwide shipping options so it will be the same price as your local store if they can get any.

Murphy's are only having a small amount and their units will not include the free pre order extras we are offering.
Thanks Mark. :)
Ordered! Excited!
Just Pre ordered!

This is the first time ive actually had the confidence to pre-order anything!
[quote]On Jan 31, 2018, Billybonkers wrote:
Just Pre ordered!

This is the first time ive actually had the confidence to pre-order anything! [/quote]

Thanks I understand these days there no incentive to preorder the original deal was going to be just free post. But we thought we should reward loyalty the pen and to the max are worth 50 bucks on there own.

Realy do appreciate the support it was 2 and half years on volume 1

Kind regards

Kieron

Ps I will be doing a face book live in a hours time
The free worldwide shipping was a major factor in my pre order though the main reason was how much I love your work.

Really looking forward to it.

Thanks Kieron
Kierons generosity never fails -
not only is he spilling out his magic brain into our hearts and heads, the two gimmicks with the book make this such a great deal.
The extras are truly generous, and as others have said, on kieron's reputation of his work, a preorder on this was a no brainer.
[quote]On Jan 31, 2018, stookie31 wrote:
Kierons generosity never fails -
not only is he spilling out his magic brain into our hearts and heads, the two gimmicks with the book make this such a great deal. [/quote]

Thanks Steve
[quote]On Jan 31, 2018, randyburtis wrote:
The extras are truly generous, and as others have said, on kieron's reputation of his work, a preorder on this was a no brainer. [/quote]

Thanks randy
I did a Facebook live my first one ever here is the link it can tell you more about the book.

https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/the-time-traveller-by-kieron-johnson.html
Love Kieron, my order is in!!!

Best Wishes Michael
Dumb question... If ordering from the states, what shipping option should we select?
[quote]On Jan 31, 2018, trickyat86 wrote:
Dumb question... If ordering from the states, what shipping option should we select? [/quote]

You just select the one you would like from free to others including express delivery which are chargeable.
I chose the option that says free outside the EU.
Just finished reading this book that I purchased first hand from Kieron at Magifest. Great material. Out of the box thinker that will get your creative juices flowing. I found three really good ideas/tricks and also little side ideas and notes that will make you more knowledgable. Highly recommend. Also, one of the nicest magicians I have met!
[quote]On Feb 1, 2018, Isaiah wrote:
Just finished reading this book that I purchased first hand from Kieron at Magifest. Great material. Out of the box thinker that will get your creative juices flowing. I found three really good ideas/tricks and also little side ideas and notes that will make you more knowledgable. Highly recommend. Also, one of the nicest magicians I have met! [/quote]

Thanks so pleased you liked it it a lot of love went into that book.

It was my hardest project so far

Kind regards

Kieron
[quote]On Jan 31, 2018, celebrity wrote:
Love Kieron, my order is in!!!

Best Wishes Michael [/quote]

Thanks Michael that means a lot thanks for the support
Haven't bought a book for years,this one I definitely couldn't miss.love kierons work,can't wait.
I just have to add to this thread. Kieron's mind definitely does not work to the norm, which makes his magic totally unique. He lectured for our club in Chicago this past summer and you could see right away how 'Outside the Box' his thinking is. I was able to see him again at Magi-Fest and all I can say is 'Wow'!! He did a show and a lecture. His book wasn't available until Magi-Fest, so I joined the long line of magicians who bought it. If for no other reason, you should pick it up and read it for a peek into Kieron's mind on how he thinks about magic. His invisible Ice effect is so slick...Tons of thought had to go in to every aspect of it. Already found a place for it in mine, and a friends, 2 man magic act. Can't wait to use it.

Incredible!! Still lots to read.

John
Just got word from Saturn my preorder is shipping today!yahoo!!!
Yes that's right, we are shipping International orders a few days early so you stand a chance of getting them on or around the release date.
Woooooooooo!
Hey Mark I'm sure Cornwall is classed as international.
That is an awesome consideration. Thanks Saturn Magic.... little things like that are not that little and imo win customer loyalty!
Is it just me or does it look like Randy is dressed as an astronaut when reading his posts?? :confused: :lol:
Lol... now that you mention it...
[quote]On Feb 9, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Is it just me or does it look like Randy is dressed as an astronaut when reading his posts?? :confused: :lol: [/quote]

Ha, it's funny you say that, because I just thought the same thing yesterday when I read his post!
[quote]On Feb 9, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Is it just me or does it look like Randy is dressed as an astronaut when reading his posts?? :confused: :lol: [/quote]

It does sorry randy I canít wait to sign the rest of the books on Wednesday.

Hofuly every one should have it Blackpool weekend or a few days after.

Iím really looking forward to lecturing there Friday as well
Guess I need to do a space themed act... wonder how LINKING RINGS might work... Got a set Somewhere...;). Wonder if time traveller has space traveller tricks lol
[quote]On Feb 10, 2018, randyburtis wrote:
Guess I need to do a space themed act... wonder how LINKING RINGS might work... Got a set Somewhere...;). Wonder if time traveller has space traveller tricks lol [/quote]

Maybe that could be volume two lol

Kieron johnson space traveler wit randy and his rings itís out of this world,

Lol
Sign me up for that volume too Lol!
[quote]On Feb 11, 2018, randyburtis wrote:
Sign me up for that volume too Lol! [/quote]

Lol I wil definitely think about it.

Kind regards

Kieron
Just to let you no weíre be shipping out Thursday and I will have whatís left at Blackpool weíre not expecting to have any left after Blackpool.

Kind regards

Kieron
Hi

Just out of interest

Can I ask is this a hardback or softback book ?

Thanks
Softback
[quote]On Feb 11, 2018, kieronthemighty wrote:
Just to let you no weíre be shipping out Thursday and I will have whatís left at Blackpool weíre not expecting to have any left after Blackpool.

Kind regards

Kieron [/quote]

Drat, I just found about this by listening to your guest appearance on the Magician's Advice podcast. I guess I must have misheard that the pre-orders would be accepted through this weekend.
Review time - I have to declare an interest in that I am a friend of Kieron's - that said this review is unbiased.

This is a little gem of a book, my first response was this is the best thing I have bought in years combined with a selfish feeling that yes for Kieron's sake I want the book to do well, but if no-one else ever reads it then great....though that would be a shame because it has the potential to fundamentally change magic - a mindset as much as a book of tricks.

So what do you get? It's a little over 90 pages long and 13 tricks along with some bits of advice - waterproofing cards, flash paper etc

Invisible Ice - a superb, brilliant presentation of a well known trick that takes it to another level. Construction is simple, reset is a !@#$% (by which I mean each set up is single use)....and that in part is some of the beauty of Kieron's work. It requires a little more effort (sometimes) for a much bigger payoff. To those who put the work in the rewards are great.

Radley - an animal is chosen at random, the magician pulls out a balloon dog(bird was chosen), The magician makes the dog fly like a bird. It's fun, it's quirky and it also shows the sheer hard work Kieron puts into his work. It started out as a challenge to himself - putting helium into a modelling balloon doesn't make it fly.

Lolly 2.0 - a variation on Kieron's lolly production from fire. The lolly production has been part of Kieron's penguin lecture & I think Chaotic DVD. It feels like it has become almost ubiquitous in the UK - it' s easy to do, gets great reactions. This is an update with a second kicker ending.

Iced Tea - I was SO EXCITED when Kieron told me about this - I would have bought the book for this trick alone. A hot drink is turned to ice, no chemicals, no electronics. It doesn't disappoint. He's a devious little !@#$er and that's the truth! Love that man!

How to swallow smoke - just what it says. Learn to swallow smoke and bring it back up on command (you can talk etc in the interim between swallowing and returning). Comes with lots of health warnings though glycerine vapour is almost certainly safe.

Flower Power - a different variation of Lolly 2.0 and was demonstrated in Kieron's Penguin lecture. A pack of cards with prizes on is produced. spec chooses one. Cards are put back in the box. Spectators choice (a flower) is revealed using your favourite method and the card box is now shown to be full of soil. has the potential for a nice giveaway with a ribbon and a business card.

To the Max: your hands are shown empty a piece of paper is lit - a block of ice is produced. This was /is marketed as a stand alone trick and here it is in the book. I do a variation of this as part of my working set. - Very strong.

Boiling an egg with the power of your mind: an egg is borrowed (if performing at someone's home) or examined (if not) and held between the performers hands where it becomes hot and boiled. Expect screams with this one.

Light up the world. A deck of blank cards is introduced - each has the word "Off" written on it - a card is selected, the word off crossed out, and on written instead. The cards are shuffled. Magician pulls out a lightbulb which lights over the selected card. Pause for a minute - how imaginative is that?! a card is found in a very showy way using a lightbuld that lights while unconnected to any electrical source. Nice!

Taste the rainbow: A spectator picks the only red skittle from a pack of green skittles. One of Keiron's favourite effects.

Hot deck: A playing card is selected - you explain you have a prediction written on the card case - unfortunately it's the wrong one. The ink melts away under your control to reveal the correct card.

Diabetics nightmare: A walkabout version of the salt pour using sugar and a sharpie. It does not use a bulb or TT.

there is something for everyone here and the tricks are strong - to focus on them though (as I have) is perhaps to miss the point. Consider this "With the lolly palmed which frames the hand so it looks natural" there are details here which are mentioned in passing but reveal thinking on staging and effect - some nuggets there.

From my own experience Lolly 2.0, Flower Power and to the max are all solid workers - others like Iced tea I can't wait to put into my act.

It's a great little book and one which I suspect I will take more away from each time I read it.
I got a signed copy of this from Keiron the Mighty at Blackpool & have read no effects yet but have read the introduction, forward & preface.

Am familiar with a lot of the effects & am really excited about owning this book as Keiron is a one off super hero.

There is simply no one like him & he is amazing.

Thanks Keiron for putting this into print you are a great creator, performer & a wonderful person.

Mike Donoghue
I managed to get a last minute pre-order in thanks to Mark at Saturn.

Unfortunately it seems that the Royal Mail tracking says it was sent to Australia instead of to the USA. Hopefully someone will realize that North Carolina is in a different country and continent and it will eventually show up here.
Just did a quick read thru this. A couple effects are known if you follow Kieron's work. Lolly from flame. And to the max. It is a focuss3d easy read. The photos make it clear and he gets to the point. I love that.

I like his Skittles themed trick and diabetic nitemare (sugar from pen). Those are for sure going into my act. There are a couple tricks I can't see doing... BUT they got me thinking outside the box and I am excited where that will lead. There is great value in getting an idea that isn't you but it inspires your creativity. This book will do that also .

Well done. Will be anticipating the next book!
[quote]On Feb 21, 2018, RDeNatale wrote:
I managed to get a last minute pre-order in thanks to Mark at Saturn.

Unfortunately it seems that the Royal Mail tracking says it was sent to Australia instead of to the USA. Hopefully someone will realize that North Carolina is in a different country and continent and it will eventually show up here. [/quote]
So it finally showed up today. Phew!

I've skimmed the book and it looks great. Even a Tardis Picture (My stage name is Doctor What).

I assume that the pen that came with the pre-order is for Diabetics Nightmare, although mine still writes. I guess I have some work to do.
Thanks very proud of the book

Kind regards

Kieron
I have to read this book, sounds wonderful! :)

I actually heard of your work from craftsman/magician, John Jurney, who was recently at Magi-Fest and saw your lecture there. John is the maker of the very magical [b]Coin Coalition[/b] coin set...He might've done it for you? :) He said that you were quite magical and your lecture was one of the very best. Not to mention, he said you guys hung out a bit and that you are everywhere as nice a guy. :)