(Close Window)
Topic: Uber
Is there some magicians that take a Uber for their gags ?
No my gags are funny and Uber is a serious mode of conveyance.
[quote]On Feb 15, 2018, magicdave56 wrote:
Is there some magicians that take a Uber for their gags ? [/quote]

I use Uber, or some form of it a lot but never have used it for a show.
I met to say dose any magicians take a Uber to do their shows
I know what you meant Dave. I was just having fun :) I personally haven't used Uber for gigs but if that was the only way to get there I most definitely would use them. THE SHOW MUST GO ON!
As I donít drive, if I needed to get to a show, I would call Lyft. (Uber wasnít accepting my debt card and Lyft would. I understand Uber has changed their policy and WILL accept debt cards now, but too late, )
I would not depend on randomly chosen amateurs to get me to my show on time.
My favorite Uber Memphis report was the guy who called for a cab to the airport, and got to watch as the driver came straight to his hotel, drove past it and went straight to the airport. At some point the driver got off the interstate, which runs directly to the airport, and began driving around a South Memphis residential neighborhood. With the tracking app you can sit in the lobby of your hotel and watch your career disintegrate before your eyes. But at least you don't have to rent a car.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
No my gags are funny and Uber is a serious mode of conveyance. [/quote]
Seriously? Uber is the worst taxi option. But of course it depends on the country, it's totally different uber system if different countries.
[quote]On Feb 24, 2018, ringmaster wrote:
I would not depend on randomly chosen amateurs to get me to my show on time.
My favorite Uber Memphis report was the guy who called for a cab to the airport, and got to watch as the driver came straight to his hotel, drove past it and went straight to the airport. At some point the driver got off the interstate, which runs directly to the airport, and began driving around a South Memphis residential neighborhood. With the tracking app you can sit in the lobby of your hotel and watch your career disintegrate before your eyes. But at least you don't have to rent a car. [/quote]

I can't say I've never had that problem with Lyft. The worst I had was waiting in the alcove of a restaurant for a Lyft, having the phone tell me they were there and it turned out they were on the street (in fact, ACROSS the street). I had to go out in the pouring rain to flag them down and get them to come into the entrance to the restaurant where my kids were waiting with me.

Driving around the South Memphis neighborhood doesn't make any sense. Neither Uber nor Lyft charge with a meter. The amount of the ride is determined before you accept the ride.
Love Lyft. Have never had a problem with Lyft or Uber. Drivers have all been very pleasant. On average I figure I spend about half what a taxi would charge.

I actually used Uber in Saigon last year. Cost me less than a buck to go to the shopping district in a major metropolitan city. (I avoided the Uber scooters that you could call if you wanted to save 20 cents.)
I know a magician who drives for Uber when he has no gig.
So ... when he DOES have a gig, does that constitute 'taking Uber' to the gig?
Driverless Uber Car kills pedestrian.
Anyone could have foreseen that such an incident was bound to happen. Is anyone going to be prosecuted for manslaughter? I mean since corporations are people now. Or are we just supposed to be guinea pigs for whatever experiments such companies want to conduct?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 20, 2018 08:52PM)
[quote]On Mar 20, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Driverless Uber Car kills pedestrian. [/quote]

Did the pedestrian have the Uber Friend or Foe app running on their phone and was their app up to date?

Or maybe Uber will seek to prosecute the pedestrian's estate for damages to the vehicle, loss of revenue and attempt to damage their reputation?
Uber is now claiming that the pedestrian was walking outside of the crosswalk.

How dare she not hew to their unknown proprietary software restrictions.

And in related news, Crayola Crayons company expresses regret that their automatic coloring machine shot and killed a four year old for coloring outside the lines. "We can't be responsible for when a customer uses our product irresponsibly," a spokesperson said.
If someone jaywalks, how can a driver who is obeying all traffic laws be responsible for someone walking out into the road? If that's what really happened. hard to tell at this point of the investigation
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 21, 2018 03:50PM)
Failed : Broke Asimov's first Law. The rest is litigation and moral turpitude.
[quote]If someone jaywalks, how can a driver who is obeying all traffic laws...[/quote]

Did the driver pass an eye exam? Did the driver have the intelligence of at least a 16 year old? We license drivers for a reason. Did the state motor vehicles department examine the software and hardware and determine it had the same abilities as a qualified state driver?

For a human driver, "if the jaywalker strolls into the street a few hundred yards ahead of the car and the driver does not slow down or swerve, the driver could be held responsible. Even though jaywalking is illegal, [i] drivers are expected to take reasonable action to avoid crashes when they can, even if they feel they have the right of way.[/i]"

https://www.nicoletlaw.com/blog/2015/07/what-happens-if-a-jaywalker-is-hit-by-a-car.shtml
I think the issue may be the "a few hundred yards ahead of the car" section. If a jaywalker strolls into the street at a much closer distance, is the driver responsible?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 21, 2018 08:43PM)
Sometimes ...
http://ypdcrime.com/vt/article27.htm
... local laws...

Do you think a vehicular AI can get a fair trial and find an unbiased jury of its peers?
Prison junkyard for those criminal cars!
No, prison for the Uber execs who knew that this was bound to happen. Reckless endangerment, I would say.
And there was a human sitting in the driver's seat to take action in case it was needed. It appears the observer was not observing the roadway at the time of the incident.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 23, 2018 05:11PM)
[quote]On Mar 22, 2018, landmark wrote:
No, prison for the Uber execs who knew that this was bound to happen. Reckless endangerment, I would say. [/quote] -you're saying the pedestrian endangered valuable equipment ?
If corporations are people, then their products must be their offspring. Perhaps it will be parsed as child abuse.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 24, 2018 11:28AM)
[quote]On Mar 23, 2018, landmark wrote:
If corporations are people, then their products must be their offspring. Perhaps it will be parsed as child abuse. [/quote]

But children are blameless - so it was the adult crossing the street who should have known better. :(
There you go.
NY Post reports that Uber eliminated some side safety sensors before the Arizona killing. When will the deceased's family get justice? Why is no one from Uber being held responsible?
Was there someone driving the Uber ?
No human driver, though evidently there was a human inside monitoring--in case anything went wrong. That went well.
ďOh, Iím not a human operator, Iím a human monitor. Iím here to notice if Something goes wrong.Ē

*Thump*

ďSomething went wrong.Ē
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Apr 17, 2018 07:22PM)
Well simply put...I drive my car and truck because I like to drive! There is no way Id get in a car and just sit there while IT drove...no way. That's all I have to say about this.

Good magic to all,

Eric
That was actually a sub-plot in a rather disappointing film; "I, Robot." Will Smith's character is the only one on the highway who refuses to engage the automatic driving mechanism, preferring to drive himself. The one time he DOES use the automatic system, to study the particulars of the case, is when the robots attack.
I used a self driving uber to get to a gig once. It was cool for the first couple minutes, but then it was like every other ride