(Close Window)
Topic: A Note for Beginners
Enjoy your magical journey. Have fun. Practise should be fun and rewarding. The final product is worth the effort. Good luck.
And don't just practise - rehearse too!
[quote]
On 2004-05-31 12:53, MarkFarrar wrote:
And don't just practise - rehearse too!
[/quote]
To this I will add [i]perform[/i]!

Remember, you aren't doing magic until you have an audience! ;)
Well said all. Performance is especially important, even if just for small groups. It allows you to iron out angles and improve patter and presentation. The ancillary benefit is that the more you do it, the more controllable pre-show jitters will become.
Message: Posted by: TheHungryMagician (May 31, 2004 06:04PM)
Find a "dummy" to practice on. Better feedback than a mirror :) . All great advice!
And if it's an opening trick that is some what easier for your audience to figure out then resist the urge to do it again no matter how much they beg. :) *coughsankeywarmupcough*
I will add Never reveal a secret! I need to do that more often, but I only tell my parents how it is done.
I get confused by an apparent contradiction. I am sure it's just my status as a beginner that creates the appearance, but I still can't see my way past it.

I have been told that it is important to practice and rehearse before I perform. I have also been told that it is important to perform, not just practice and rehearse. How does a beginner like myself gauge when it is time to venture into performing?

There are those who are adamant that magicians who perform before they are ready are damaging the magic's already-shaky reputation. I can relate to that.

There are those who speak less than respectfully of magicians who never get around to performing. I also appreciate the point there.

My question is, how does one attain balance? What signs does one look for that signal an ability to perform without being an embarrassment to magic?
Try to find a friend that is interested in magic and make sure he will not reveal any secret to others. Make him as a dummy audience. Don't explain the secret to him, just ask him to catch you in case you do not perfrom well. Keep on practise and try a real audience later on.
Practice, practice and more practice. Try to have a fellow magician watch you as you rehearse your routines and they will be able to pick out any weak points. If you do not have magician friends, then a close friend. Peform for people whenever you get the opportunity, this will give you the experience you need and the necessary confidence.
When you feel comfortable to a point where you feel you can do an effect then find someone and do it. If it fails or you are caught then next time your level of comfort will be higher and you will be better before performing an effect.
This way you and only you will know when you are ready to perform something.
Good luck and remember that it doesn't take ages to get something ready to perform. Your best practise is in front of a live audience because the first few times the nerves will make you shake and you may mess up something you can do perfectly in your own room. The only way to get that right is in front of real people. Perform Perform perform after you practise practise practise.
If you only want to Practise become a doctor or a lawyer.
Thanks for the advice. I found this forum to be helpful during the course of my learning :)
Another great way to practice and rehearse is to do it in front of the unerring eye of a video camera. I should point out it is also unforgiving. Unlike a mirror it won't allow you to admire your hair just as you perform a less than stellar sleight.

And unlike your friend, it won't tell you what you want to hear in an effort not to gum up the friendship.

Another magician would be ideal acting as a critic and director, but it is often easier to obtain a video camera than a magician who will give honest feedback.

Wear two "hats" performer and critic/director. Do your practice on tape and then watch with a critical eye. Is there flash, a goofed up sleight? Is the trick being performed so you can see it or so your audience can see it. (an often made mistake).

If you have the chance to perform for some family and/or friends do that occasionally on video as well and don't just look at your magic but their reactions, body posture etc. Are they interested, entertained, polite or annoyed? These are all immportant in getting your magic to a professional point.

Good luck.

Frank
Find someone who can be very upfront and brutal. I do my effects for my girlfriend. If I botch something up, she will tell me to go practice and won't pull any punches.

Also, as Jordan B said, enjoy your magical journey. Every time I get a new book or DVD its like christmas. Opening it up and learning new secrets for the first time.
My first performance was for a group of five-year-olds at a day care center. I did a simple coin routine. When they asked, "How'd you do that?" I answered, "It's [i]magic![/i]

I knew I had something when the teacher approached me afterwards and asked, "So, how did you do that?" :bwink:
Any advice on finding an area where five-year old people usually hang out? :) j/k
Practice in front of a mirror, after that try using webcam, so you can see your whole performance style without having to watch your hand like if you practice in front of a mirror.

Also, don't be afraid of failure...the only thing you get out of someone saying "I saw that!" is knowledge. At least, now you know what works and what don't work. You know 1 step better of how you should perform next time. Just keep doing your magic and enjoy it!
The trouble by practicing with a mirror only is that you don't really perform. Example with some coin passes, where your expression and your "acting" is as important as your sleight-of-hand.

Only a video camera (or an EXTREMELY patient wife:bg: or friend) can tell you whether your performance was good or not.

Mathias
Yeah!!That's very true, Mathias!!We need to use a camera to see our whole performance...

Use a webcam if you don't have a wife..:)
[quote]
On 2004-06-09 01:51, tyrael07 wrote:
Any advice on finding an area where five-year old people usually hang out? :) j/k

[/quote]
5 Year olds are people??? No ways.
Try the local disco. The average club scene age is getting so young I feel like an old man going there LOL
My wife has long since declared herself "off limits" as an audience. I use my daughters or their class mates to practice on, after judicious practice on my own. Even the youngest kid can pick up on a dropped coin.
Abc,

I was just kidding besides pardon my bad english :)
well I guess it`s still a long way to go before I perform in front of someone
The performance is the Pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow...

When you see the reaction and get the applause, this is what makes the practice worth your time.
I wasn't joking. You should go the discos LOL.

If the issue is performing and it is important that you do that as soon as you can try this.
Learn a few self working card routines and practise patter to them. Make sure they are entertaining.
Then start performing them.
In the meantime you will have hours to practise sleights and later incorporate new material into your performance.
Dont book shows with only card routines though it is very boring. Just go to the pub or your mothers house and show it to people so you can get used to it.
I carry a haunted key and a disappearing silk while at work, especially with the smaller children. Before anyone thinks I'm exceptionally wierd, I'm a police officer and I've found magic is a great way to make scared kids forget about their problems for a while. At first I was really nervous about doing any sort of routine, but my partner convinced me to start and I'm really happy I did.
The best thing is probably to have a magi-friend who knows the same things you do - he can give you feedback on what you're doing wrong or right. :)
Words to live by. Thanks for the advice everyone.