(Close Window)
Topic: What are the BEST tricks to put in wallet?
As I got a new bigger wallet recently, I wonder what tricks to put in my wallet for any unprepared performance.

Any suggestions of good tricks that pack small in wallet? Non-card is alsowelcome.

Thank you.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
I've always got a couple of elastic bands in my wallet for TRU by Menny Lindenfeld
You should check out the following thread as it has lots of suggestions http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=454144&forum=52
Cool Cash by John T. Sheets.
ACE by Richard Sanders.
Check Jeff Praces's site He has lots of wallet stuff
Wonderland Bill all the way. It's intended for a wallet.
There's been a lot of good tricks mentioned here so far, but for me in my wallet a good one to carry (that I've carried for many years now) is from one of our very own here on the Café...John Cesta's, [b]Ultimate Positive Negative[/b]. What a great little trick! :D

And it's about the only trick I ever carry in my wallet. :) It is so engaging, brings about the abstract of 3 invisible coins delivering an amazing prediction, leaving the spec with something in their hands that they just can't believe just happened...all from the flat-pack of your wallet. ;) I always carry a few on me.

Packs small, plays BIG! :)
I like to keep Elmsley's 4 card trick on me to do something quick.
At least one version of Positive/Negative (I prefer Eugene Burger’s most, Scott Guinn’s Positive Increases is also great, and while I like Cesta’s, I personally prefer the other two).

A version of the five to one bill trans P.O. is a great wallet trick (I particularly like the one from Jeff Korn/Paul Vigil in Doors of Deception, as well as David Parr’s And Eugene Burger’s versions. There are others...eg Cool cash, worth looking into).

Wonderland bill is a nice puzzle-like piece of strange

Some cash changes are nice (extreme burn, Einhorn’s Instachange, a tipless bill switch like Lovick’s handling can be used for many things - mismade, paper to bill, counterfeiting, $100 change, etc.)

Another some like if you don’t mind some prep would be Fraud by Daniel Garcia.

Some cards stuff might be Rick Lax’s stuff (Contact, tornado, etc), or Color Monte. I also always carry a card to do card from phone (scatter or other force), as well as Seven, a fantastic mentalism effect from Byrn Reynolds’ Safwan Papers.

If you have a coin or two you can do the impossible balancing bill, Fading Coin, a which hand effect (eg Tequila Hustler), one coin routine, etc.

Also Lonnie Chevrie’s Clean Thru/Clear Thru is a nice set of impromptu bill tricks to know, not considering all the other impromptu/situational magic you can know!

Lastly, you could always pack in some Loops or rubber bands for tons of other effects you can do, etc.

Of course, this doesn’t even get into the fantastic smart phone effects out there, such as Digital Force Bag, WikiTest, Inject, etc.

Just a few ideas...
[quote]On Mar 6, 2018, sgtgrey wrote:

Another some like if you don’t mind some prep would be Fraud by Daniel Garcia.
... as well as Seven, a fantastic mentalism effect from Byrn Reynolds’ Safwan Papers.

[/quote]

Thanks for the mention, SGT!

Bryn
B'Wave, Two Dollar Window.
Sgtgrey + 1
[quote]On Mar 7, 2018, sgtgrey wrote:
At least one version of Positive/Negative (I prefer Eugene Burger’s most, Scott Guinn’s Positive Increases is also great, and while I like Cesta’s, I personally prefer the other two).[/quote]

Where can I find Eugene Burger’s version?

Thank you.

Alex Hui
I carry B'wave and 8 card brainwave in a small plastic wallet. They would be fine in a wallet where the card cards don't bend. Both get excellent reactions.
I used to keep BWavein my wallet. I guess NFW would be a good choice or color Monte.
I don't tend to carry around props when I'm not working, but I do have the little wooden discs from Elmwoods Free Will in my wallet.
Giving this some thought I realized that most packet tricks are "one trick ponies" and you would need a pretty big wallet to have a bunch of tricks in your wallet. This got me thinking that Four Aces would allow you to do:
1. Last Trick of Dr. Daley
2. Twisting the Aces
3. Sanverted
4. If you don't mind destroying a card you can finish with Card Warp

I know I missed some but that's a lot of mileage from 4 cards.
Just curious what kind of wallet you guys who say you are putting packet tricks in your wallet are carrying? I carry a big hipster style wallet and even crammed full of plastic credit cards it still bends. If I put a packet trick in my wallet the cards would be warped and ruined within a day.
I have the Jerry O'Connell Packet Trick Wallet, which carries my ID, a credit card and some cash. It also can carry several packet tricks and a few coins. Here is what I keep inside: B'Wave, 4 aces (Twisting or Dr. Daleys) a few spare cards for card warp, Sankey's Unharmed, and a copper and silver coin. It's like a magic-show-to-go! And it all fits in my front pocket.
I use the HOW wallet or JOL wallet and both look after my cards well
Best trick for a wallet... the 21 card trick! I keep 3 sets in my wallet, just to make sure I'm ready at a moment's notice.

[img]http://www.livingonehanded.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/FatWallet.jpeg[/img]
[quote]On Apr 28, 2018, Steven Keyl wrote:
Best trick for a wallet... the 21 card trick! I keep 3 sets in my wallet, just to make sure I'm ready at a moment's notice.

[img]http://www.livingonehanded.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/FatWallet.jpeg[/img] [/quote]

Which version do you do? The face up rows or the face down rows?
Thank you, George Costanza!
Kaymar Magic's: "What a Turn Up!" Wonderful packet effect.
[quote]On Feb 25, 2018, Mb217 wrote:
There's been a lot of good tricks mentioned here so far, but for me in my wallet a good one to carry (that I've carried for many years now) is from one of our very own here on the Café...John C, [b]Ultimate Positive Negative[/b]. What a great little trick! :D

And it's about the only trick I ever carry in my wallet. :) It is so engaging, brings about the abstract of 3 invisible coins delivering an amazing prediction, leaving the spec with something in their hands that they just can't believe just happened...all from the flat-pack of your wallet. ;) I always carry a few on me.

Packs small, plays BIG! :) [/quote]

Well, well, thank you sir. I appreciate that. I too carry UPN in my wallet.
J
[quote]On Jun 7, 2018, John C wrote:
There's been a lot of good tricks mentioned here so far, but for me in my wallet a good one to carry (that I've carried for many years now) is from one of our very own here on the Café...John C, [b]Ultimate Positive Negative[/b]. What a great little trick! :D

J [/quote]

If it were not for Mb217 mentioning UPN in this thread, I would have never heard about it... So thanks to him for mentioning it, and Thank you for putting it out! UPN has a home in my pocket also!
[quote]On Jun 7, 2018, Wravyn wrote:
[quote]On Jun 7, 2018, John C wrote:

J [/quote]

If it were not for Mb217 mentioning UPN in this thread, I would have never heard about it... So thanks to him for mentioning it, and Thank you for putting it out! UPN has a home in my pocket also! [/quote]

UPN by John is well-worth getting... Some clever thinking!

Bryn
Does anyone know where I can purchase UPN? A search just returns a few dodgy looking Chinese sites.
Sean, Just PM John Cesta. His username here is John C.
[quote]On Apr 25, 2018, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Just curious what kind of wallet you guys who say you are putting packet tricks in your wallet are carrying? I carry a big hipster style wallet and even crammed full of plastic credit cards it still bends. If I put a packet trick in my wallet the cards would be warped and ruined within a day. [/quote]

TCC wallet is one of the best under $4.00 wallets I have ever seen. Penguin has them. Th packaging was worth $4. bucks

I keep Virginia city shuffle and Color Monte in mine. Also, the world famous NFW and 4 aces in a Z-Fold wallet.
[quote]On Aug 14, 2018, Sean Mann wrote:
Does anyone know where I can purchase UPN? A search just returns a few dodgy looking Chinese sites. [/quote]

I pm'd John earlier tonight and had a pretty quick response. I sent paypal, $11.77. and received the download within probably 20 minutes. Actually 2 downloads! 👍🤘👌 $.02
Thanks Dollarbill. I’ll pm John.
👍
There are tons of Business card effects....especially if you think in terms of using Biz cards instead of playing cards. That gives you a different spin on all sorts of effects from T&R to Haunted deck to Tagged. And how wallet friendly can you get?
[quote]On Apr 28, 2018, ejohn wrote:
Thank you, George Costanza! [/quote]

I was just about to say the same thing.
I don't do many packet tricks anymore, although I like many of them, but I never leave home without Colour Monte and Daryl's Odd Quad.

Mark
I like Tornado... 2 cards per performance
[quote]On Aug 28, 2018, Scott Horn wrote:
I like Tornado... 2 cards per performance [/quote]

Are you referring to this? http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6861

I may have to get that.
ESPerfect, Powerball60 and Contact
Virginia City Shuffle is a permanent feature in my wallet.
Powerball 60
In a normal brown bear leather wallet (large, but still suitable for the backpocket), I carry around quite a lot of tricks (seven) without the wallet being overloaded.
What makes it efficient for me is to store props (loops, piece of paper, a piece of black tack/ blue tack, a prediction card...) which enables to grab borrowed objects (shuffled deck, a knive, a ring , a fork,..) and perform tricks on the spot.
For a hobby performer as I am, there is usually no formal setting and it is nice to appear impromptu in casual situations.
Trickwise it could be for example:
Kollossal Killer with DD cards, Coins across with a s#### , 6 old cards for Brent Braun’s Torched and restored, Nick Einhorns Instachange, ...
This thread is a few months old, but I wanted to say thanks for all the great ideas (and reminders of some forgotten gems). I wanted to add what's been in my wallet for years: Two $1s to a $2 and Tony Miller's Pocket Space Plus. The bill transpo is a classic, but Tony Miller's effect is great and I believe long out of print, which is unfortunate because I've performed this so much the cards are worn out.

You can find an old thread on the effect here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=261451
Unknown to the spectator, have yourself a d-b***** card inside the closed wallet.

Then have the spectator freely select any card in the deck.
Shuffle the deck, keeping the card on top.

Open the wallet and show there is a card inside.
Place the card on top of the deck, and perform a d-l***

Lo-and-behold - the card in the wallet was their card.
Hand them their card, and immediately cut the deck, loosing the evidence.
[quote]On Apr 25, 2018, Chollet wrote:
I have the Jerry O'Connell Packet Trick Wallet, which carries my ID, a credit card and some cash. It also can carry several packet tricks and a few coins. Here is what I keep inside: B'Wave, 4 aces (Twisting or Dr. Daleys) a few spare cards for card warp, Sankey's Unharmed, and a copper and silver coin. It's like a magic-show-to-go! And it all fits in my front pocket. [/quote]
I used to use the Tan version (softer), recently moved to the Shogun Wallet. I carry cash (same amount on both sides for consistency), my unreleased B'Wave, NFW, an extra ungaffed Ace and Hold It Buster by Dan Harlan (4 cards on one side and the reveal in the other), plus few credit cards. Hip and compact.
WTF and B’Wave
If you listen to Phil, forgo the Elmsley count, treat B’Wave as mentalism, it absolutely fries. With WTF, it takes a bit of time to do a convincing 4 joker reveal, but that adds immensely to the effect and presentation. Always those two with me in O’CONNELL packet wallet,. Hopping Halves always there too
[quote]On Jan 23, 2020, Denis Bastible wrote:
WTF and B’Wave
If you listen to Phil, forgo the Elmsley count, treat B’Wave as mentalism, it absolutely fries. With WTF, it takes a bit of time to do a convincing 4 joker reveal, but that adds immensely to the effect and presentation. Always those two with me in O’CONNELL packet wallet,. Hopping Halves always there too [/quote]

You mean NFW.......WTF is the reaction it gets.
:rotf:
The LED Monte.
Self-working.

Plays big, packs small.
Lots of ways to perform this.

Three small LED lights, one battery.
The spectator tries to find the odd coloured light.

Everything is in the control of the performer.
Depeding on your supplier, this comes with just the lights, or with cups.
Powerball 60, Bwave, Positive/Positive, Coins, Triad Coins, an 4 card packet trick of mine
[quote]On Feb 1, 2019, dmoriarty1 wrote:
...Tony Miller's effect is great and I believe long out of print, which is unfortunate because ...[/quote]Ask him. http://rfaproductions.com/products/pocketspace.htm
He's got some new stuff too :)
[quote]On Nov 7, 2018, montanna40 wrote:
Powerball 60 [/quote]

PB60 for me too!! Great trick if presented well :)
I've always had really good experiences with B'wave and I also tend to carry a few prepared fusion gimmicks from blake vogt
[b]B'wave[/b] is a great trick, still after all these years. It is easy to do, and lends itself more to your presentation skills, which should be practiced as much as the moves in any effect. I used to carry it, along with [b]NFW, Double Back[/b] and [b]Capitulating Queens[/b] (Think they all still live together in that old wallet, too). :D

That was my starting 5...So good that for years, all you needed was just these 4. :D

Made a decent-at-best coin guy like myself, look & feel a bit like a pretty darn good card man at times. :)
[quote]On Apr 27, 2020, Mb217 wrote:
[b]B'wave[/b] is a great trick, still after all these years. It is easy to do, and lends itself more to your presentation skills, which should be practiced as much as the moves in any effect. I used to carry it, along with [b]NFW, Double Back[/b] and [b]Capitulating Queens[/b] (Think they all still live together in that old wallet, too). [/quote]
NFW and Capitulating Queens are two outstanding choices for this category.

But B'Wave is the one that I carry around with me the most, simply because of how easy it is for portability, preparation, and presentation.
I always carry B'wave and NFW. Quick tricks and have a great impact on audiences
I always carry a packet trick where you change a lot of times the colour of the back of the cards. I don’t know the name of this trick, also I carry the gimmick of a “card throw spectator’s bill”. The third thing I always carry is one normal card, and I can use it for example as a prediction of a thinked card. Also in mi pockets I carry some coins, elastic bands and a deck.
Ace by Richard Sanders
Stand-Up Monte by Garrett Thomas
Some great suggestions in this thread. I carry B'wave, and occasionally some Regeneration or Torched and Restored cards.
In my wallet (stealth assassin) I have extreme burn 2.0, Rejoined by Joao Miranda, my business cards , surprice by Taiwan Ben on an old debit card, and stasis built into a credit card. Now, for my packet trick wallet (jol), I have polish poker, shinkansen by Phil Goldstein, Bridge over troubled oil and water, and skinners monte.
I’ve found carrying playing cards in your wallet (especially during the summer) is just a horrid idea because they get mangled in the heat, sat on etc... I use my back pocket as my Normal wallet pocket. The JOL packet holder is a much better place to store and keep them. I meant rejoined express in my other comment.
This is an old thread, but I thought I would add an update. I see posts like "What turned up". That is a great trick, but it uses TEN cards! I can't speak for everyone, but I am not going to carry ten cards in my wallet for a trick. My criteria is the smaller the better. Everything I have has to be three items or less. Here are some things I might have in my wallet:

A small gimmicked leather coin pouch I invented that allows me to do a variety of coin tricks
A small envelope with my version of Positive/Negative (Similar to the Ultimate Positive/Negative)
A mentalism card for an effect I call "Bucket List"
A double out handmade envelope with two mini cards in it (Queen of clubs and Queen of Spades)
A credit card gimmick to do pen through borrowed credit card
A single mis-made dollar bill.
A 100 dollar monopoly money bill
A Yes/No gimmick where I can predict the correct Yes/no answer to any question they might have
3 rubber bands

On my Keychain I have:
Two woven paracords
One skeleton key

On my finger I have one wedding ring

These are enough props to do a full mini impromptu show.

KJ
I've been playing around with ring and string effects using two rings.
Ultimate Positive Negative by John Cesta
A random card... Just in case it's ever named ;)
I have a minimalist wallet (abet with a lot of sleeves in it). I can fit:
3 by Steve valentine (best packet trick ever)
Forgotten Princesses
2 dollar window
Greed
5 to 1 bill transpo

Keychain pouch: hopping halves w some coins
Ring flight

Wrist : bands
Finger: ring

Always ready for a miracle
If you carry business cards, Volition by Joel Dickinson is easy to do. Powerball 60 and Extreme Burn by Richard Sanders are both easily carried in a wallet. There are many great packet tricks mentioned by previous Café members (I highly agree with Stand Up Monte, Tornado, B'Wave, etc.). If you are carrying keys, Freakey or Ignition are fun options.
+1 for powerball 60, seems many here will agree it should be in every magicians wallet. DOLLAR TO CREDIT CARD 2.0 by George Iglesias is one I've had fun with in the past when going to pay for things.
One of my favorite tricks I almost always have in my wallet is Get Lucky by Ran Pink, as seen on Conscious Magic DVD 2. A lottery effect that requires no gimmicks and uses real lotto tickets and stubs! Especially when the lotto gets up to crazy high numbers like it did in the last few weeks, any lottery based effect really captures the audiences imagination. I prefer this one because these are real tickets, like I said! That means I can stop by any gas station or grocery store and have a powerful magic effect re-stocked and ready to go with a $2 dollar investment, even if I'm traveling. And, while it hasn't hit yet, I technically could win on that ticket, right?