(Close Window)
Topic: Skeletons From the Closet - Premier Issue
Apologies in advance for the long post. You may be wondering what this new project of mine is all about, so here's an excerpt from the opening of the first issue which should help clarify things:

"Welcome to Skeletons from the Closet - a series whose main objective is to try and kindle interest in what is old rather than "what is new?" through the exploration of effects from years long past.

Some of my fondest memories are those of nights spent poring over old books and periodicals until the wee hours of the morning. There is a great wealth of effects with serious potential hidden away in old books that have been overlooked or forgotten entirely. Many of these can be greatly strengthened or taken in entirely new directions by applying more recent thinking and advancements in the art. The results can often be quite profound.

In 2001, I was fortunate to study with the late Eugene Burger as part of the Mystery School program administered by both he and Jeff McBride. During the time I spent with Eugene, he once commented:

"For every book you read that was published during your lifetime, read THREE that were published BEFORE - and especially those published prior to 1950".

That was 17 years ago.

It is my sincere pleasure to be able to share with you now some of the effects that I have discovered to be of personal value and the advancements and refinements I made with each. Many of these are little-known or used. My goal is to change this and give them a new life.

While the main focus will be on effects from old books and periodicals that are now in the public domain, there will be occasional forays into more recent routines that are not. When this is the case, I will simply direct the reader to which book where one can find the effect in question - without giving away the original's method - and then discuss my own work on that particular effect. These books are generally in most Magicians' library and are easy to obtain if one doesn't have them already. In other cases, there may not be a reworking of a method at all - simply a presentation given for an effect that brings meaning and relevance when it is in desperate need of it. One often finds a marvelous effect but the procedure or very nature of it makes it difficult to find a way to present it in a fashion that is neither tiresome nor uninteresting.

In the end, these are routines that are tailored and crafted to suit my personality and tastes. I know them to be strong in impact and would like to think that others will find them to be of value as well - but ultimately, this is something for each reader to decide for themselves. At the very least, it is my hope that I might help to foster an appreciation and renewed interest for the effects and routines of old, and that your journey with me along the way is a pleasant one".

In discussing this privately with a few others, I was often asked if I had a release schedule for each issue - I don't. As many people here know, I suffer with mental health issues as well as personality and mood disorders. While I am (finally) getting professional treatment and help with those issues, the fact is, that it would be foolish for me to commit to a timeline for a regular release schedule. In conclusion, each issue will appear 'when ready'. Ideally, I'd like to do a weekly or bi-weekly release - but don't hold me to it.

The good news however, is that each issue is *free!* I flip-flopped back and forth quite a deal on this issue, but I have always been a believer in "sharing for sharing's sake". If folks wish to support this project through paypal donations I would be more than happy to accept what people find this to be worth to them, but I'm not asking outright. I leave that up to you guys.

This first issue contains a mental card effect which, in my opinion, is something so deadly and strong that I think in a short matter of time, many guys are going to be using this full-time. If you could REALLY read minds, this is about as close to 'real' as it gets - for a card effect. I can honestly say that it leaves people speechless.

Issue One is ready to go. As always, if you'd like a copy just send me a PM.

Enjoy your weekend. :) :light:
Sneak peek at the cover. This project has an interesting art direction - inspired by the "Pallbearer's Review" - but taken to a different level.

[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2s9x91d.png[/IMG]
Pretty darn cool! And free? Based on what you've published in the last few years? I would certainly subscribe to something like this. Perhaps x amount for x amount of time.
This is a fantastic idea! And, obviously a labor of love.
Really looking forward to it Sudo!
Thank you for being so generous to our community
Sudo:

Looks like an ambitious and useful venture. I wish you well with it.

George
Sudo,

This looks great. It sounds like your experience with the Mystery School served you well. Now, I need to go find something old to read.
Sudo, I am interested in another effect of yours called En Passant.
Have send you a PM in January and reacted in the original thread.
Still hoping you could help me any further.
Thanks for all the kind thoughts and well wishes - appreciate it.

@ Marc O: Yes, sorry that I didn't reply to your PM about "En Passant". I took a break from the Café for a spell and stopped speaking to nearly everyone - it's not personal. I posted that I would share "En Passant" freely on the thread regarding it - but *only* if there was enough interest in it to justify all the time it takes for me to write it up. I didn't receive many responses - though I suspect this was probably due to the fact that when I said I'd freely share it, it was buried further on in the initial thread, so it's likely most missed that...

Either way, you'll be happy to know that "En Passant" will be featured in a future issue of "Skeletons From the Closet".
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Mar 4, 2018 03:55PM)
Just read through this. Unsurprisingly, Sudo has added some lovely extra devious touches to this old card effect. Anyone who is familiar with his thinking will know that he doesn't put any muck out, ALL of his thinking and his material is top notch. It is a very professionally produced document with some very intersting history (unbeknownst to me) regarding the original creator.

All in all, it is well worth the read, and also well worth sending him whatever you can afford. I know he is not asking for that but fair is fair.

I am very much looking forward to the remainder of the series.
Hi Sudo, thank you for your reply.
I hope the time taken of from the Café has done you well!
I have received my copy too, thanks Sudo! The method is clever, another one of those "why didn't I think about that?" moments. Thankfully, Sudo is there doing the thinking for us :D but it should also be a source of inspiration, how can you get an old effect with so many 'unattractive' conditions and streamline it to something very practical.
I have not had time to study the text yet, but I must say that the presentation style of the PDF is beautifully done.
Thanks for the kind words - and I'm pleased that the visual presentation of the pdf is noticed. I spent a lot of time in nailing down the art direction for this series.

On another note: I hide 'easter eggs' in a lot of my work to see who will find them. There is a MASSIVE easter egg hidden in this issue.

I think this one is clearly obvious, but let's just see... ;)
I have received - Skeletons from the Closet - Issue one“. I must say thanks for your great work. I love it very much. Thank you! Sudo!
You're quite welcome Franky.

As for the 'easter egg' hidden in this issue, I'll give you a clue: 1+1 = 3.

Let's see who figures this one out. ;)
Just to make this even more fun - the first person to find the easter egg will receive a free copy of "Pendultimate" - normally $30 USD.
Read through it today. I both enjoyed the insight to Hummer, as well as the updated methodology.

This is a simple set of methods that will be great for anyone. It's straight forward and will allow plenty of room for personalized presentations. I've already thought up some applications that are more appropriate for my style (as I don't use playing cards).

Looking forward to the next installment of Skeletons from the Closet.
Hmmm... Must be a very popular manuscript.

Tried to send a PM just a moment ago and got this message:

ERROR: The user "Sudo Nimh" has run out of space.
All users are limited to 60 total topics.

Hoping to get a copy.
I wish I could be as eloquent in writing a review, as Sudo Nimh is in his writing of this first manuscript of Skeletons From the Closet. I am grateful for his generosity of time in writing, edititing, and layout, along with a wonderful effect. This is something that I feel I will be presenting. Thank you Sudo.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts Wravyn. I am pleased that you enjoyed 'Skeletons' and even more so that you will be presenting this.
There has been a few attempts made at the easter egg - none successful. So hopefully this should clear things up and I shouldn't need to fill in the gaps.

Imagine this:

You've been booked to perform for a function. While on the phone with the host, you ask them to supply you with a sealed deck of cards for the event.

At the event, you're about to perform this effect and request that the host give you the deck which you then unseal. The deck is LEGITIMATELY shuffled numerous times so that everyone can see that they are very thoroughly mixed. You then don a blindfold.

A participant cuts off a portion of the deck from anywhere they like, then remembers the card on the face of their packet. They replace their packet back on top of the tabled remainder of the deck and square same. All of this occurs while you are turned away and blindfolded the entire time.

A second participant now does the EXACT same thing that the first participant did. And again, you are still turned away and blindfolded the entire time. Two cards have now been selected in an utterly fair manner. It is of interest to note here that not a single card in the deck has even changed place.

Explain that in a moment, you are going to show the cards to them one at a time, and that when either participant sees their card, they are to simply *think* "stop!"

Using one hand, you now pick off the top card of the tabled deck and display it to the participants for a brief moment and then set it aside. You continue to do this for several cards and then suddenly say "I just heard a very loud 'Stop!' Is this somebody's card?"

One of the participants says "Yes!" and you get a round of applause. That card is set aside with the others and you continue displaying cards one at at a time. Again, you stop at some point while displaying one of the cards and say ""I just heard 'Stop!' again! Did I get it?"

The other spectator says "Yes! That's my card!" and you get another round of applause. That card is replaced with the others and the participants are asked to gather up the deck and place them away inside the case which they then pocket.

You now remove the blindfold.

Gazing intently at the first participant, you now ask them to focus on the card in their mind's eye. After a moment of concentration, you name their card! A huge round of applause follows.

Turning now to the second participant, you do the EXACT same thing!

For those who haven't read this issue of 'Skeletons' the deck is, in fact, 100% normal, and at NO time ever do you even see the face of a single card - because you don't need to in this effect! This is NOT an exaggeration - as anyone who has read this Issue will attest.

For those who have read the Issue, I think you should be able to piece together the egg now. ;)
I just read that first issue of Skeleton in the Closet, and I urge you to do the same. A great effect is presented in full detail, with very interesting insights and history. I really hope Sudo would go on with it and come up with such great and yet unused material.
Thanks Sudo for the share (and the personal private share too, it's really touching) and the excellent work, it's been a real pleasure to read, I'll try this routine ASAP now !!!!!!!!!
Sudo had told me and shown me azbout everything that's in this issue. He had fooled me with one of the routines, smiling honeslty while lying to my face :lol: with an ease that shows the seasonned performer he is.

But I asked him for the document anyway!

I think what he releases is worth collecting and I don't want to miss any item.
But that one in particular had a lot of appeal:

- Bringing back up an oldie. I like browsing through old material a lot, because most of the "new stuff" is merely old stuff, in a new dress at best. Probably 90% of the methods I use were published before 1950.

- Not only giving the "dressed-up" routine, but also walking the reader through his thought-process. When writing my own publications, I often hesitate about doig so, because not everybody is interested in the making, many people just want the "finished product" (and that's perfectly all right). But for those who do like to build and adapt, that's candy :love:

- Adding some trivia. I love to learn about people and what kind of person was someone I only know because of a name attached to a move. I had no idea who Bob Hummer was and the part about his life and personality is an important and tasty part of Sudo's cake :donut1:

Even if you are attracted to one of those features only, you'll find it's worth your while. For instance, the way he does an otherwise classic shuffle is a very nice and convincing touch, something you will adopt instantly. It's also bits and pieces of his experience he spreads like icing that makes this so enjoyable.

Oh! And he also put some work in the layout, to give it an old-fashioned look that fits the mood perfectly.

Nice job! And thank you for giving it!!! :me:
Thanks Dominique and Cervier for the kind thoughts.

Cervier: The look on your face when I told you "I was lying" was priceless. ;)

For those curious, I executed a false shuffle in front of him that is extremely deceptive while very emphatically stating "No, really - look closely - I want you to see that it REALLY is a REAL shuffle and that the cards REALLY are being shuffled very well". Since he bought the shuffle, it killed any way for him to later backtrack the method behind the effect I was performing. I picked up this strategy while studying with Eugene Burger.

One day Eugene performed his Devil Deck routine for me. At the finale of the routine, I immediately suspected the deck. As my eyes traveled from the odd-backed card on the table to the deck in his hands, he had anticipated this and was waiting for me. As my eyes met the deck, he smiled broadly and said "Here - check'em out!" and put the deck in my hands. I didn't find anything and was very stumped. Why? Because I didn't REALLY look carefully - because I believed him! And yes - Eugene was able to lie through his teeth while smiling with complete confidence and zero guilt. The deck was rigged - and more than just a little. That lesson was never lost on me.

It seems that there is a little confusion about some of the conditions that I mentioned in my last post - based on some of the PM's I received. I am trying to be careful to not reveal too much here because this section is public - hopefully this helps:

Naturally, you tell the host which brand of cards you prefer to work with. You could just as easily mail the host a sealed deck to hang onto until the performance. I wouldn't recommend this for a stage show, but my audiences were typically wealthy folks who were hosting cocktail parties at their homes - and in that environment, it is viable. Also, it is YOU that shuffles the deck, and while the cards are being legitimately shuffled, they are being shuffled into...Juan's "thing". ;)

Hopefully that makes sense? I am not suggesting that I'd *actually* go that extra mile - I just wanted to point out the possibilities available.

The easter egg is simply combining the two things laid out in this Issue of 'Skeletons'. The two together give you a THIRD option - thus the clue 1+1 = 3.
Dear Sudo,

Congratulations for the layout, the writing and the content !
One of the next days I will send you a PM ...
Sudo was kind enough to send me the first issue, apart from how professional the PDF looks, this is a fantastic update of an overlooked Bob Hummer principle, and ideal for us memdeck users, although you don't have to use one as Sudo covers an alternative. I highly recommend sending him a PM and getting this, especially for free, but do send him a donation so that this can continue!
I just read through Sudo's publication.

I'm a reader, with a fairly well stocked library, and yet I've never heard the story of Bob Hummer's life as was presented in Skeletons From the Closet.

That for me was the highlight. Fascinating stuff.

Thanks so much.

Oscar
The production values, are first rate, as is the material and explanation of the thinking behind it and process of getting there. An amalgum of the two routines can be constructed to be truly devastating on many levels, both for magaicans and in the real world. I look forward to watching this project evolve.
I'm glad to see you're back ;)

This looks amazing.

As usual, I think you're being very generous with your work!

- Andreu
Sudo, well done. I enjoyed your thought process and the dissection of the effect and the rebuild. As Oscar pointed out, I really knew nothing of Bob Hummer, except as a card guy.
Just got the book Sudo, Thank you, looking forward to reading it at the weekend
I have bought a few effects from Sudo in the past and he has shared quite a few with me without charging. When I saw this thread, I just couldn't wait to get his latest release.

Sudo generously shared it with me. The book looks great. He could've just written down everything in a plain Word document and then turned it into a PDF but he made his book look beautiful. It's fun and easier to read a book when it's put together beautifully.

Now... About the effect... It's Wonderful. It's great to read how Sudo thinks and how he takes something that others will most likely ignore and turns it into a gem. When I read the original effect, I thought I would never perform it. But, when I read Sudo's version, I was like, "WOW!"

Thank you Sudo for your hard work and generosity. Much Appreciated!
Hi All,

This little gem nicely illustrates why I've been a fan of Sudo's work since he first arrived at the Café... elegance in method and directness in presentation. It's hard to imagine your spectators would even consider anything is amiss and they will surely walk away mystified by what you've done. If this first edition of Skeletons From The Closet is any indication of what's to come, we are all in for a treat!

Regards, Steve
It is, and I'm sure will continue to be, fantastic. If you can, please Paypal Sudo a contribution for his time and effort.

JD
I requested this from Sudo as soon as I saw his first post and he generously sent me a copy. It is a wonderful enhancement of a great Hummer trick. I have been a fan of both ideas/principles involved, especially the second that Sudo adds to the Hummer trick. Request this from Sudo and please make a donation. Thank you Sudo. Best Wishes.
I am not keen on using playing cards for mentalism type effects (or conjuring or mental-magic either) -- juts me and early mentoring.

But I do like the method and Sudo's refinements. So, I immediately thought of business cards.

Many restaurants have a bowl in which folks drop business cards for a later drawing for a free lunch or desert.

I can envision having a person at my table go up un borrow about 20 of these cards, place them in a stack and hand them to me.
These I would shuffle and have two people select one each by Sudo's described methods. (faces down)

I would then haver each person concentrate on their selection and reveal it in a variety of ways. The easiest would be to shuffle again
with a messy Hindu and drop the two cards into my lap.

Obviously, I would have previously swiped a bunch of cards are arranged them as "one way" for a switch. The backs of most cards have printing
or a hand written message. No suspicion since these are random, borrowed cards.

The advantage the appearance of a completely random selection of two objects from a random stack of unfamiliar objects,
The revelation of the of the selected cards can have great variety as to color, names, occupation, picture, etc. --
that is close, but not exact descriptions.

Thanks for the inspiration.
So happy to hear that everyone has been enjoying this project. I'm hard at work on the second issue, which I'm hoping to have ready by Friday or sometime on the weekend.

Thank-you for the kind words.
This is again great thinking as always from Sudo. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

I just wanted to mention that if one does not uses something like Juan's 'thing' they can still reveal the selections if they are using a marked deck and they also won't have to cut the cards after the shuffle. I like using the DMC Elites because the marking is so deceptive but so easy to read if you know what to look for.
Also if one uses a memorized deck if you punch the cards you can actually do the effect genuinely blinfolded the entire time.
All true. :)

And I'm happy that you enjoyed this issue.

Since the main focus of this project is the exploration of old effects with the intention of tidying them up and modernization, this means that I try to work within the parameters of the original effect. In this case, that means"normal deck". I did outline a personal preference in the write-up, but it actually makes no difference if it is used or not since the effect can still be accomplished without it - and with absolutely zero changes to the handling or impact. I don't wish to change the methods so dramatically that they bear no resemblance to the original because it is counter to the focus of this publication.

Personally, I think there is a real elegance to being able to accomplish all of this without resorting to such measures. Being "genuinely" blindfolded is a condition that only you, the performer, is actually aware of. So who does this "genuinely blindfolded" condition *actually* please?

That said, if you'd like to go with that approach - by all means do so! Others have PM'd with the exact same ideas you've thought of as well, and I told them the same thing. Either way, I hope that you (and your audiences) have fun no matter what direction you choose to travel with this.

I am not the arbiter of what is right or wrong for others. :)

One last thing: can we please NOT openly mention methods here since this is a public area.
Sudo,

Of course this can be used in so many different ways. That is why its so nice. Its by adding or taking out things we accomplish what we want out final effect to be.

As in 'there is a real elegance to being able to accomplish all of this without resorting to such measures' You still have to resort to measures like preparation and you can't actually accomplish this with any deck so who is to say where to stop with the preparation and how much is enough or too much.

Like I said I really like the effect as it is as I like everything you shared and the 'punch cards' approached I might never ever do since that's quite a lot of preparation if you don't already have a punched deck..just wanted to explore some ideas and I was pretty sure other people thought of them as well.

BTW I really like the hand movement subtetly that makes the effect work. I don't think I came across it before and now it goes into my repertoire of tools.

Thanks again!
[quote]On Mar 8, 2018, LoveKey1988 wrote:
You still have to resort to measures like preparation and you can't actually accomplish this with any deck so who is to say where to stop with the preparation and how much is enough or too much.[/quote]

This is only partially true. While it many not be possible with ANY deck, it is designed to be possible with a normal deck with NO preparation.... :)

Since you aren't the only one who had those ideas, perhaps it may be a beneficial feature to include a section in 'Skeletons' where I can add readers' ideas for effects that were published in previous issues - although that would increase my workload considerably. Something for me to think about at least. But then there is the problem in trying to decide which submissions are worth adding to such a section and which aren't - eventually somebody is going to get upset or feelings hurt...it's a delicate thing to juggle.

Another option would be to have a facebook page for 'Skeletons' (uggh - I dislike FB immensely) where readers can simply post their ideas freely. That is probably the best option - as much as I strongly dislike (and distrust) facebook. What do you guys think?

Anyways, glad you didn't take what I said offensively - I certainly meant none. I sincerely do hope that you do as you like with it and have a blast in doing so.
I think a facebook group for discussing the effects in this magazine is a great idea. Even if you dislike facebook you can create an account just for the purpose of posting in that group.
Well, hopefully more readers will chime in and I can weigh the input. I won't do it unless there's enough people who think it's worthwhile...

As soon as I think "FaceBook", I think of people who have to post a billion 'selfies' and pictures of what they had for dinner.

Perhaps I'm just jealous that what they had for dinner is usually better than what I had. :rotf:
Most of the FB groups I'm in don't see much activity. While it does have the convenience of alerting you to activity pretty much automatically, I think spreading the discussion out between different sites may stifle the discussion in one place or the other.
I'll have to pass on the FB idea. I know some others use it, but it's not enough to get me in there, my plan is to be the last person in earth without a FB account, and then write a book called "The man without friends", the whole content will be about my real friends.

Marc
I still think there should be a medium where other can express their ideas about the creations in this magazine.
I am very pleased with Sudo's first issue because:
1) It is a great trick
2) The presentation / print is very professional (great images - perfect explantions)
3) Excellent advice in the beginning of document (that has nothing to do with the trick itself)
4) Some remarkable and unique background information about where the idea came from and about the magician in question
5) Sudo shares this freely with no strings attached

In short a magical presentation of magical trick

Thank you Sudo
What about starting a thread on Inner Thoughts?
I think that's a good idea.
Personally, I am not a fan of doing this in "Inner Thoughts". Why?

Even though I am sharing this publication freely, I choose to do so with those I choose - which is the vast majority of people who request. But unfortunately, there are some people who are NOT welcome to my work for a variety of reasons. The most common reason for this is that there are repeat offenders of bad manners who simply send me a PM with a simple message such as "Send me the book". Then when they receive it, they can't even be bothered to just say "thanks". Things of that nature irritate me greatly since I put a lot of work into what I do and there is literally nobody else in the art doing what I'm doing. We live in an age where the marketplace is flooded with mediocre material at high prices and the almighty dollar seems to rule everything - so I try to do the opposite and give "good" to "great" material for free. I mean, some people think that using the "Cut Deeper" thing actually constitutes a good method for the "Open Prediction" effect and that it is an original idea as well...

There are a few other reasons as well for why I like to maintain some amount of control over my work, but that's besides the point.

As mentioned before, I'm not a fan of facebook either - so I'm glad to see that there are some who feel that this isn't the place to go. I'm not sure what the solution is.
With his characteristic blend of performance experience and magical acumen Sudo has polished a Bob Hummer subtlety into an impenetrable mystery. It is rare - and so refreshing - to see someone prepared to put so much effort into sharing his ideas with the magical community for the love of the art rather than the search for profit.
Thanks very much, Sudo. Your generosity and creativity is much appreciated.
[quote]On Mar 8, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
(...) there are repeat offenders of bad manners who simply send me a PM with a simple message such as "Send me the book". Then when they receive it, they can't even be bothered to just say "thanks".(...)[/quote]
One day, after many such experiences, I started a list of such people I wouldn't send anything anymore :hmm: Sometimes, I feel like posting it :bat:

Anyway... I'm not a big fan of FaceBook groups. One can only post tiny unreadable messages (or big pictures) which makes it difficult to follow. But I believe you could ask for a private "sub forum" on the Café.
If not (which would surprise me), there are lots of sites where you can open a free forum.
@ Mike Hopley: Thanks kindly for the touching words. I am happy that yourself and others find value in my work and will continue to share as long as there are those who are interested. For me, that is the meaning of "brotherhood".

@Cervier: Thanks for your input. I always appreciate your thoughts on things. Based on what some have expressed here and in PM's - I have definitely ruled out facebook. Seems that I'm not the only one who not only dislikes and distrusts that platform. Perhaps when we chat next you can fill me in on the free forums you've mentioned. BTW - I've twice tried out your re-ordering on that effect we were discussing...the first went over with a direct hit, and the second allowed me to use that procedure I shared with you, flawlessly. So it looks like it may have some real merit. ;)
This is a terrific effect, plus all the thought process around it is really enjoyable. Yes, I listen to directors' commentary tracks on DVDs and attend talkback sessions after plays.

Sharing the biographical info on Bob Hummer was really special. I've admired his ideas, usually as developed by others, because The Collected Secrets of Bob Hummer is not an easy book to come by so his work is hard to experience first hand. (Btw, my understanding is that Karl Fulves wrote the book itself, with Gardner writing only the introduction -- maybe something to revise in the Skeletons manuscript?) Thanks for uncorking that bottle and letting a wider audience drink from it. We should know more of the people who populate the history of magic -- they're often fascinating characters.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tim. And yes, you're correct - I just went and checked - Gardner wrote only the introduction. Scratch up one more for Fulves! Good catch - I had it written down backwards in my notes as Fulves doing the introduction. Must've been the late-night writing marathon.

I'll amend that straight away. On another note, Gardner has written so many books that the easier question is "What HASN'T he wrote?" Then again, so has Fulves. :)
I love this! I am always a fan of knowing where our babies come from so this little publication really put a smile on my face! This principle has so many uses...beautiful!

Nathan
I enjoyed reading the first issuer of Skeletons Foem The Closet. Very well written and produced. Though I’m. It a big fan of this type of effect, Sudo put considerable thought into making this a performance piece and a fooler. I look forward to future issues.
The PDF is great!
Great layout and great routine.
I also enjoyed the story about Bob Hummer.

Really like the routine with "Juans thing" and will try it next time on my magic buddies.

I'm excited about the second issue.
[quote]On Mar 12, 2018, sennheiser wrote:
I'm excited about the second issue. [/quote]

Me too! I think it should be ready in a few weeks.... :online:

(Just kidding. It's available...NOW!)
I know I'm late to the party but just wanted to say I've had the chance to sit down with the first issue and came away impressed with how Sudo was able to breathe life into an old principle that most (including me) would have skipped over if reading the "classical" version.

The effect and methodology are right up my alley and I can definitely see using this in a parlor-type situation. As per usual, some excellent thinking results in a workable and practical effect that you should be able to get some mileage from.

Kudos, Sudo!
In addition to appreciating the workings of this effect, I also enjoy simply looking at the design layout of the issue. Well done, Sudo. The Hummer history is pretty fascinating and somehow eerie and gives the publication another tidbit of enjoyment.

The quality of this publication has a collectors feel to it and I look forward to what is next. And thanks for your generosity to the magic community.
As witnessed in Sudo's earlier releases, his knowledge of our craft and keen ability to tweak a routine in such a way as to separate the wheat from the chaff are both impressive indeed.

The intriguing illustrations, easily read font, and overall 'feel' of Skeletons From the Closet Issue One, are reminiscent of the aesthetically pleasing and impeccably presented periodicals and newsletters from days gone by.

I continue to be delighted by Sudo's routines, often poignant writing, and profound generosity.

Looking forward to future issues.

Best,

dc
Indeed, very nice and easy reading with interesting background information and good ideas. Thanks for the sharing !
Sudo, I to would like to receive your Skeletons from the closet. I’m late to the party, it it possible to get both issues.
Thanks Dan

danj63@charter..net
Finally got the chance to spend some time reading through the first issue. Really brilliant thinking Sudo, in so many ways. First off, the concept of Skeletons from the Closet is long over due. I'm as guilty as they come for wanting to see the newest "thing", yet I have a bookshelf of resources that I rarely re-read. Thanks for inspiring me to head back to the bookshelf and find some skeletons on my own!

Second, the layout and design is terrific. Easy to read and visually appealing.

Then, there's the actual material, which as many have already pointed out is wonderful thinking on Sudo's part. Love the history and love that the smallest details are covered. For example, I've always played around with trying to find a way to improve the Charlier-Haymow Shuffle, and Sudo has a simple, yet brilliant suggestion!

I have the second issue in may inbox and can't wait for the weekend when I'll have the time it deserves to dig in!

I've spent more on much less in the past so am happy to send along a well deserved monetary contribution in hopes that it helps to continue this wonderful series!
I concur with Mr. Mindbender. I, unfortunately, didn't get the opportunity to read this till now and in my opinion, all the positive reviews are completely justified. There's not much for me to say that hasn't already been said, but the best thing for me is the idea and notion of this series.

I firmly believe that we have to look backwards to move forwards and with this series, Sudo has quite coherently demonstrated something that many people ignore, that is, the effects from the past can and should be used if one endeavours to apply his own creativity to them. After all, most of what we are doing is reinventing the wheel and hopefully, this series results in more people looking back at classic texts rather than just the latest offering.

Thanks a lot, Sudo.
I didn't read all 4 pages of posts so if I'm duplicating something I apologize. I'd like to start with how generous I think Sudo is with his material and how grateful I am for all he has given me personally and to the community. Personally I'm a kindred spirit of the man and believe that we have shared similar trials and tribulations in life. Many artists that I know are plagued with a dark cloud that seems to encompass their entire lives. The suffering of life's disappointments seems almost necessary for the creative process to shine brightly. So out of darkness comes light. Now I don't know for sure if all of that's true but I do know that my life has certainly seen it's fair share of darkness so I was intrigued when reading the description of Bob Hummer. I will admit in non egotistical fashion that I have been in such places and similar circumstances and that's all I have to say about that. What I will say however is that pain can and often will lead to great pleasure and I'm pleased to be reading Skeletons From the Closet. My hap-handed segway not withstanding I do like this work.

In this first issue we have a card effect but like all good card effects in mentalism the cards are used as just an item to focus the participants attention on. They are almost incidental. Meaningless, if not for the fact that we need the mind to have but one thought out of the many we would normally have. That is what it seems like in the effect. There are basically two techniques employed in this effect. One grossly under utilized and the other used but rarely in conjunction with the first. You will have to read the magazine to learn anymore as I don't want to ruin it for you.

Thank you again Sudo for all that you do for the community and for me personally. Friendship is something you can't put a price on.
Reading through this issue is a journey. While many manuscripts discuss effect and method, this manuscript shares process. At couple of times, I stopped and started thinking 'how would I improve this' only to be intrigued by the simplicity of Sudo's solution.

The routine is a gem and by the end of the manuscript, it has become truly a 'piece of mystery'.

I know I will use this and I know I am excited to read volume 2. See you again in that thread ;)

And thank you very much Sudo for sharing this. Many releases today aim for a quick buck but Skeletons Fron the Closet aims to preserve our art by tapping into the past and bringing it up to date.

Grear work Sudo!
I have thanked Sudo privately for this, but wanted to thank him in public, too.

-Patrick
I enjoyed reading the first and the second issue of Skeletons From The Closet.
The PDF is great!
Great layout and great routine.
Really brilliant thinking Sudo,
Thank you Sudo for all that you do for the community.

All the best.

Herbert
You're all VERY welcome. Thank you for the heart-warming thoughts fellas.
I've just got round to reading this. It is clever and direct.

Well done Sudo
Sudo, Thank you again for you generous contribution. The layout and format is very professional and easy to read. It is great to see old effects reimagined and updated. More than the effects I love reading about the thought process behind it. Creativity is something that is hard to teach and demonstrate and yours comes through in spades. I look forward to each and every additional issue.
I've only just discovered this thread. What a breath of fresh air for "Penny". Bravo, Sudo. Your offer of 'skeletons' is so in line with your generosity and your artistic mission.
PM-ed you Sudo but haven't heard back.
Sometimes when you read something, you can feel the heart, soul and kindness that went into making it.

The effects offered in “Skeleton’s from the Closet” are terrific, incredibly clever. And the concept is remarkably respectful- to heed Eugene Burger’s advice, to study books written and published before we were born and to build on the thinking of those times.

The whole thing is so well done and feels like a sincere, kind-hearted love-letter to both mentalism and to our community.

There’s a story of redemption in there too.

Paying homage to creators of the past, lovingly and cleverly improving their work, and offering it freely?

Thank you Sudo for opening the closet. Greatly appreciated.
I received the first issue and enjoyed a lot while reading and imagining the reactions of the audience.

I performed it yesterday in my magic club exactly as stated in the document and everybody was shocked with the effect.

Thanks again for sharing
Hi, I am also interested in both issues. tried to send a PM but looks like your box is full.
Thanks for all you've done for everyone. I've enjoyed the few things I've ordered. May I have copies of your new magazine. I'd be happy to pay for them. Your PM is full.
Thanks,
Lou Heck
Well, I am a bit late to this party--not for acquiring the manuscript, which I did immediately when it was available, but in actually getting to the reading of it. I often pick up effects and take my sweet time in actually getting to learning and playing with them, for which I apologize to Sudo!!

What an amazing breath of fresh air this is! Not just the effect itself, which is quite simple and straightforward at it's core, but the entire experience of reading the manuscript. It is so well written and so attractively laid out that it makes learning the effect so pleasurable and almost effortless. Sudo's examination of Bob Hummer himself and the issues he was dealing with was fascinating in and of itself; I remember reading a bit about Hummer showing big name magicians effects in his apartment with roaches crawling on the bed, but Sudo really fleshes out his mental illness so readers have a better understanding and appreciation of what he struggled with. Just my way of saying that learning the "trick" (which is awesome) is only a part of the experience of this really excellent e-magazine.

Anyway, the effect itself is completely dissected and reshaped by Sudo in his usual BRILLIANT manner. He gives the complete description as the effect originally appeared, goes into the reasons it has been largely forgotten, and then lays it on the cutting board, trims away all the old, fatty, and unnecessary bits, stitches on a few modern touches and turns it into an impromptu miracle! He also generously gives more than one approach, to suit performers at different levels. In short, this is an absolute gem, which we've come to expect from the brilliant (and sometimes tortured) mind of Sudo Nimh. (And BTW, it is not simply the way his mind works that is lovely to behold--the man clearly has Mad Skillz when it comes to design, layout, and artwork which is demonstrated in many of his manuscripts.) As a clinician in the mental health field, I love how this work respectfully and truthfully examined this piece of magic within the context of very real struggles with mental disorders... from which this effect sprang and through the lens of which it was reimagined. In that vein, the last paragraph of the issue was especially authentic and meaningful..! :)

Thank you, Sudo! I have to say, in all honesty, that I preferred when you made your work available for sale on your website (the design made it enjoyable to peruse and occasionally purchase effects, and the prices were well below what you could have reasonably asked) but I think I grok your reasons for wanting to do things this way instead. At any rate, folks have to be crazy not to take advantage of getting these for free. HIGHLY recommended!!

Can't wait to dive into Issue #2... will have some thoughts on that when I do so.

Seth
Is there a way to receive the PDF's other than request via PM since your PM box is full?
The best way is just to wait a bit and let him sort his inbox--he usually (but not always) clears it out within a few days, so keep checking back when you can.

Seth
Hello, I am interested to read the issue one of your project. It sounds super interesting. As others have stated your inbox is full. Could you please send it to me ? Thanks ! Olivier
Hey Sudo, tried pm'ing you for this issue.. inbox is full. Would love to take a look! Thanks mate

Tomas
HEY!!! SUDO!!! Your mailbox is full!! I don't think you may know.

;)
[quote]On Mar 24, 2018, Seth speaks wrote:
Well, I am a bit late to this party--not for acquiring the manuscript, which I did immediately when it was available, but in actually getting to the reading of it. I often pick up effects and take my sweet time in actually getting to learning and playing with them, for which I apologize to Sudo!!

What an amazing breath of fresh air this is! Not just the effect itself, which is quite simple and straightforward at it's core, but the entire experience of reading the manuscript. It is so well written and so attractively laid out that it makes learning the effect so pleasurable and almost effortless. Sudo's examination of Bob Hummer himself and the issues he was dealing with was fascinating in and of itself; I remember reading a bit about Hummer showing big name magicians effects in his apartment with roaches crawling on the bed, but Sudo really fleshes out his mental illness so readers have a better understanding and appreciation of what he struggled with. Just my way of saying that learning the "trick" (which is awesome) is only a part of the experience of this really excellent e-magazine.

Anyway, the effect itself is completely dissected and reshaped by Sudo in his usual BRILLIANT manner. He gives the complete description as the effect originally appeared, goes into the reasons it has been largely forgotten, and then lays it on the cutting board, trims away all the old, fatty, and unnecessary bits, stitches on a few modern touches and turns it into an impromptu miracle! He also generously gives more than one approach, to suit performers at different levels. In short, this is an absolute gem, which we've come to expect from the brilliant (and sometimes tortured) mind of Sudo Nimh. (And BTW, it is not simply the way his mind works that is lovely to behold--the man clearly has Mad Skillz when it comes to design, layout, and artwork which is demonstrated in many of his manuscripts.) As a clinician in the mental health field, I love how this work respectfully and truthfully examined this piece of magic within the context of very real struggles with mental disorders... from which this effect sprang and through the lens of which it was reimagined. In that vein, the last paragraph of the issue was especially authentic and meaningful..! :)

Thank you, Sudo! I have to say, in all honesty, that I preferred when you made your work available for sale on your website (the design made it enjoyable to peruse and occasionally purchase effects, and the prices were well below what you could have reasonably asked) but I think I grok your reasons for wanting to do things this way instead. At any rate, folks have to be crazy not to take advantage of getting these for free. HIGHLY recommended!!

Can't wait to dive into Issue #2... will have some thoughts on that when I do so.

Seth [/quote]
Seth has spoken. And how well he roared. I absolutely concur with every singe word.
Thanks, Nicolino! Short review now: It is a [i]great[/i] issue! Grab it!

Though, it looks like we might be having another hiatus from Sudo, as occasionally happens after very creative periods... and I always get a bit concerned during those times of silence, but I guess it's prudent to wait a bit longer before worrying.

Seth
No need to worry - but I appreciate the concern. The fact of the matter is that I developed a terrible flu which completely wiped out my immune system while I was writing the second issue of [i]Skeletons[/i]. This weakened condition then brought on a shingles attack which I am still trying to fight off and has slowed my progress considerably due to the severe pain I have been experiencing as a result. I've not ever had this illness before and I wouldn't wish it on anybody - the pain is almost unbearable at times. Seems that life [i]really[/i] is like a box of chocolates - you open them up and everybody's already eaten all the good ones...

The good news, however, is that the third issue is nearly ready now. Because the last issue was so massive in size, I deliberately chose to feature an item in this issue which wouldn't require me to have to explain the method so as to cut down on my workload considerably in light of this illness. However, this has not been the case. As I began writing this issue, I realized that I had established a precedent with this series and set the bar very high. I simply [i]cannot[/i] skimp on explaining the fine details and the "whys" and rationale behind every smallest detail because they are all of extreme importance. What's the point of doing something at all if you're not going to do it right? Long story short: this issue has turned out to be far more work than I had initially imagined. It seems that every issue has been, and will continue to be, a considerable amount of work because I must maintain this standard or else there's no point in continuing on. Frankly, I am surprised I was even able to hammer out the first two issues in less than two weeks total.

I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to comment on this thread with your beautiful words and support of the project in one form or another - they keep me motivated to continue writing and to make it through yet one more day. I write these for YOU.

For the rest of you, I apologize that my inbox is full and that I've not gotten to opening your messages yet. I will do so very shortly when the next issue is ready to go so that I can kill 'two birds with one stone', so to speak. For now, please be patient - I promise I'll get to you all soon enough.

Remember to be kind - you never know how a simple action will impact your life or that of others. (The next issue is all about this theme....)
I'm very sorry to hear about your illness Sudo and think it's more important that you get well than worry about us. Sometimes we have to be selfish so we can be altruistic later on. It's said that "we can't help others with their own house unless our house is clean". Now I don't know if that's true but how can you be on top if your feeling so low. So don't worry about us and be good to yourself. FIGHT the illness and just get better. That's all that matters.

On a personal note I'm sorry I haven't gone to the google thing. I'm so paranoid about my privacy that even on my wife's account I cringe at the thought of being in cyber space. I'm working on it but really find it hard. Give me time and I'll get through it and you'll see my Shrek like image all to soon. Again feel better my friend and may the sickness pass leaving no trace. God Speed!
Thanks for your thoughts Senor. While I understand your sentiments, the fact of the matter is that if I have learned anything at all in life, it's that the body responds to what the mind believes. And right now, I'm trying to convince myself that I'm 'ok' and that this is not going to get me - I've been through far worse. I have to keep my mind focused and occupied or it's game over for me.

And as for google hangouts - don't worry about it. You don't want to talk to me on there right now anyways. Ask anybody who has been speaking with me recently on there and they'll tell you that this illness has gotten me ranting about demons, the proliferation of Satanic and Occult symbolism [i]everywhere[/i] in modern society, the end of the world, and the absolute wickedness of Governments. Best to wait till I'm feeling better.
I to see demons and evidence of the deceiver all around me trying to break my will and cause me to lose faith. But I have been to hell and know the lie of painful pleasures. I will not give in and stand firm against the beast. Saint Michael, the Archangel! Glorious Prince, chief and champion of the heavenly hosts; guardian of the souls of men; conqueror of the rebel angels! How beautiful art thou, in thy heaven-made armor. We love thee, dear Prince of Heaven! We, thy happy clients, yearn to enjoy thy special protection. Obtain for us from God a share of thy sturdy courage; pray that we may have a strong and tender love for our Redeemer and, in every danger or temptation, be invincible against the enemy of our souls. O standard-bearer of our salvation! Be with us in our last moments and when our souls quit this earthly exile, carry them safely to the judgement seat of Christ, and may Our Lord and Master bid thee bear us speedily to the kingdom of eternal bliss. Teach us ever to repeat the sublime cry: "Who is like unto God?"
Amen.
Senor, are you familiar with the expression "Kyrie eleison"? It is of Greek origin and means "Lord have mercy".

This song is my strength these days. I post it here for you and for those others who find comfort in it's hymn.

[youtube]belrNpqqA2g[/youtube]
Perhaps I should just say nothing anymore...
[quote]On Mar 28, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Senor, are you familiar with the expression "Kyrie eleison"? It is of Greek origin and means "Lord have mercy".

This song is my strength these days. I post it here for you and for those others who find comfort in it's hymn.

[youtube]belrNpqqA2g[/youtube] [/quote]

One of my favorite songs from the 80s and very inspirational.
Hope you’re feeling better soon Sudo
[quote]On Mar 29, 2018, Newsround wrote:
Hope you’re feeling better soon Sudo [/quote]

Thank-you. It's [i]slowly[/i] getting better. Shingles are awful.

I made a Facebook page. If anybody would like to join me there just send me a friend request. I figure it'll be a lot easier to keep everybody updated with personal news and news regarding upcoming releases for Skeletons and all that good stuff.

You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/sudo.nimh.39
I just read the first issue of Skeletons From The Closet. Extremely nice layout and a very well built routine.

As usual, another brilliant thought of Sudo.

Thank you for your usual generosity with the whole community.
I finally got around to looking at Skeletons From the Closet. Like a small, well-published book, it was impressively laid out. The brilliant thinking here is rare for a small FREE publication. Looking forward to Volume 2 when it is available.
Message: Posted by: AstoneMagicalSleight (Apr 14, 2018 07:48AM)
Hi,
This seems like a wonderful trick but I'm not able to reach you via PM as your inbox is full. Feel free to send one my way :)
Sudo was very kind to send me the first two issues of "Skeletons from the closet".

Regarding the first issue:

I think this is a very nice rendition of a classic Bob Hummer effect. It shows Sudo's signature way of thinking in terms of simplicity and cleverness.
My only problem with it is the quite long procedure in the "silent counting" part. An experienced performer will cover this easily. I do believe that there are more direct mind reading effects possible with a memorized deck, especially if you combine it with a marked deck. With a marked and memorized deck you could do the exact same effect outlined in the manuscript without ever having to touch the deck.
But if you are in a pinch and do have to work with a borrowed deck, this method would be very useful.

Besides that, I really enjoyed reading Skeletons from the closet #1, not only because of the clever ideas within but also because it is brilliantly edited with beautiful illustrations and a very nice layout. Excellent quality!

Thank you very much, Sudo!
You're very welcome Alex. I'm happy you enjoyed these.

The use of a marked deck is something I have discussed with others as well - who were also thinking it to be a better option. The fact is, that if you use a marked deck you will need to be looking at the deck at [i]exactly[/i] the moment when you [i]shouldn't[/i] be looking at the deck. That was the [i]entire[/i] point of Hummer's routine...and mine. It's one of the reasons for why he did it with the deck behind his back and is what completely throws off all the wise ones. ;)

Why use a marked deck when it can be accomplished without one and [i]without[/i] needing to look at the deck at a very crucial moment?
[quote]On Mar 2, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:

Issue One is ready to go. As always, if you'd like a copy just send me a PM.
[/quote]

I'd love a copy!

Thanks!
Your pm box is full Sudo. I don't have any of this series. Sent you and email.
Thanks for your interest Tim and Aligator.

Issues are given freely (at my discretion) until the next issue is made available only. Back issues are $15.00 each. PM me with the issues you'd like and I'll give you the paypal information.