(Close Window)
Topic: Interest in magic seems to have vanished?
I have taken a long time out from magic. Before I did that, I noticed a strong decrease in the number of customers, and now that I have started to advertise again, the customers seems to have vanished totally. I have a question primarily for swedish magicians, but others might reply as well.

Have you noticed a decrease in jobs too? In that case, do you have any theories about what is the cause?
Here in the States I have found an increase in the interest of magic and gigs.
I would agree I think there is an increasing interest in magic. What are you doing to find jobs?
[quote]On Mar 16, 2018, jdstewart wrote:
I would agree I think there is an increasing interest in magic. What are you doing to find jobs? [/quote]

For years now I have a web domain and name purchased and still to this day have not had it up and running. All I have to do is send my media files to him but I just don't have the time. I probably could force myself and make the time but at this point there is no need. I have been very fortunate with getting jobs by word of mouth and being referred. Also, I was picking up my one son from school around the X-Mas holiday and told the secretary (who knows me because I pick up my one son a lot there) "since it is close to the holidays, I have something fun to show you". Well after showing her a trick, the other lady in the room happened to be the head of the PTO who hires for the school assemblies. Well, she asked for a card, then boom before I knew it I had two days of school shows to do. Crazy, but you never know who is watching when you pull out something fun to show someone. I have booked a lot of shows when I just pulled out "something fun" to show a stranger.

Also, being at the right place (gig) at the right time is how I got the Local Cruise ship touring gigs for two years. The owners of the Fleet happened to be at the gig I was performing at, so I got lucky there.

At this point, I stay busy enough with the performing without the website so I guess that is why I have not went gung-ho on getting it done. Hopefully someday I will, LOL!
Sometimes we must create the demand. Rarely does it just happen.

Tom
Agreed. When any wife and I relocated to a new city, we spent several weeks driving to, and introducing ourselves to every daycare, library and elementary school in the vicinity. We also put up flyers for birthday shows in coffee shops, gyms, toy and novelty stores, etc. And as RNK indicated, doing spontaneous tricks (even in a restaurant while having lunch) can sometimes lead to a booking.
Arthur,
Did you pay to put up a flyer in Coffee Shop windows or just do some Magic for them. I'm assuming you did buy a cup of coffee.

Thank you Arthur.

-Mary Mowder.
You should go to the "Tricky Business" forum to get help with marketing. They will give you ideas to help increase your business.
[quote]On Mar 16, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
Arthur,
Did you pay to put up a flyer in Coffee Shop windows or just do some Magic for them. I'm assuming you did buy a cup of coffee.

Thank you Arthur.

-Mary Mowder. [/quote]

Hi Mary,

We’ve never paid to put up promo material. On our travels, after a show or in-between shows, we would stop somewhere for lunch or a coffee. If the establishment had a notice board or posters in their window, we would ask to put up our own flyer, or at the very least, our business cards. People usually said yes.

We’ve also just walked into a coffee shop, candy store, gym, card store or bakery (without buying anything), and simply asked if they’d let us display our info. Most people were OK with it.

On rare occasions, we’ve had to barter (if the reward for us was big enough) by offering something free for the proprietor’s kid, or doing something to benefit the shop. For example, a party supply store agreed to put our promo stuff right on their counter-top next to the cash register, in exchange for us putting a little blurb about them on our promo material.

Arthur
Arthur,

A couple of questions. . .

How much success did you have in getting bookings from these types of things, and how were you able to track bookings back to these establishments?

Also, I've always been a little torn about doing stuff like this and as I say that, I'm NOT saying there's anything wrong in doing this.

Let me explain.

When I first started out, my employer had a big bulletin in the hallway and I put my card on there. I did get some bookings from this, but this was in the days before Parenting magazines and the Internet came into existence.

Since that time, I have always shied away from doing this type of things mainly because I didn't want to be seen as a beginner.

I have also thought, rightly or wrongly, that if put up a notice up at a grocery chain bulletin board that potential clients will never pay me $300-$400 for a show.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry
[quote]On Mar 18, 2018, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Arthur,

I have always shied away from doing this type of things mainly because I didn't want to be seen as a beginner.

I have also thought, rightly or wrongly, that if put up a notice up at a grocery chain bulletin board that potential clients will never pay me $300-$400 for a show.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry [/quote]

This an easy hurdle to overcome, just start out in your copy by saying.

With over 10 years of experience as an entertainer
Hi Gerry,

I wouldn’t bother with a grocery store. Besides, they probably won’t let you put up your flyers.

My advice is to tap stores like the ones I mentioned above, and gyms (where moms go), in WEALTHY areas where you know the prospects will have money to spend for their children’s birthday parties.

That said, putting up flyers can never compare to plain old word of mouth advertising. That is how we got most of our gigs.

About tracking: whenever people call or email about our services, one of the first things we ask is where they heard about us.

One more thing: Your ad has to be appealing. Leslie and I both have extensive backgrounds in advertising, so we know a thing or two about writing clever copy and designing eye-catching material.

Hope this helps!

Arthur
Thanks!

Gerry
[quote]On Mar 16, 2018, jdstewart wrote:
What are you doing to find jobs? [/quote]

The same as when I got jobs.

Sorry to see no Swedish magicians have replied...
I've talked to another Swedish magician now, and he confirms my observation with the words "This year it has been EXTREMELY tough...". Someone else had told him they have observed this happens to the entertainment business every year there is an election in Sweden (which it is this year...), but I must say I don't understand the workings here. Why would waiting for an election make people less prone to hire entertainers?
I suggest going back to basics. Pick the phone and make calls. You can spend a lot of money on marketing. But actually talking to people makes the sale. Never give up control of the sales process to a website, flier, to any other inanimate (or animate) object. They only support your sales process.
[quote]On Mar 31, 2018, jdstewart wrote:
" ... actually talking to people makes the sale." [/quote]

This is very true. Earlier on in this thread I posted: "When any wife and I relocated to a new city, we spent several weeks driving to, and introducing ourselves to every daycare, library and elementary school in the vicinity."

You can do the same whenever you have a show somewhere. Afterwards, go and visit other nearby prospects and introduce yourself.
I suggest going back to basics. Pick the phone and make calls. You can spend a lot of money on marketing. But actually talking to people makes the sale. Never give up control of the sales process to a website, flier, to any other inanimate (or animate) object. They only support your sales process. [/quote]

Some of the best advice I've heard here in a very long time. Get away from the digital and tech world and it's lure of ease and simplicity and get back to personality, relationships and actually taking control and conducting business yourself. The tech and digital can be great enhancements, but nothing replaces actual hands-on work.
[quote]On Apr 1, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
I suggest going back to basics. Pick the phone and make calls. You can spend a lot of money on marketing. But actually talking to people makes the sale. Never give up control of the sales process to a website, flier, to any other inanimate (or animate) object. They only support your sales process. [/quote]

Some of the best advice I've heard here in a very long time. Get away from the digital and tech world and it's lure of ease and simplicity and get back to personality, relationships and actually taking control and conducting business yourself. The tech and digital can be great enhancements, but nothing replaces actual hands-on work. [/quote]

Hallelujah!!! I AGREE 500%
I suggest going back to basics. Pick the phone and make calls.[/quote]

I do not work for companies but families so there is no one to call.
Sounds like it’s time for you to pull up your socks and take action, Mikael!

You can call libraries, bookstores, guilds, churches, museums, associations, daycares … any venues that host family events or children’s parties, and make appointments to see them, so you can interest them in your services.

The jobs won’t come running to you without any effort on your part.
Right! This is show BUSINESS! You need to go out and SELL your services!
[quote]On Apr 4, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote:

I do not work for companies but families so there is no one to call. [/quote]

That makes it even easier! Far easy to book families than corporations, many more opportunities and easier to position yourself apart from the others. So many opportunities.

Also there are many more options other than just corporations and families.
Perhaps the entertainment business is not for you. It sounds like to me that you have no idea how to market yourself. Marketing is extremely important, and takes a lot of work. If you work for just families, then you obviously have to figure out a strategy to reach those families, and sell them on the idea of hiring you. If you are just going to focus on reaching families, you have to be aware that you are obviously limiting yourself from potentially getting more gigs by not reaching out to community centers, schools, libraries, businesses, etc.

[quote]On Apr 4, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
Sounds like it’s time for you to pull up your socks and take action, Mikael!

You can call libraries, bookstores, guilds, churches, museums, associations, daycares … any venues that host family events or children’s parties, and make appointments to see them, so you can interest them in your services.

The jobs won’t come running to you without any effort on your part. [/quote]

Thank you, but this thread is about why the interest in magic has diminished. Maybe it has not in the US, but here it has.
[quote]On Apr 4, 2018, Mindpro wrote:

That makes it even easier! Far easy to book families than corporations, many more opportunities and easier to position yourself apart from the others. So many opportunities.

Also there are many more options other than just corporations and families. [/quote]

I only do private parties. I am not interested in anything else.

So, how do you suggest I book families without the opportunity to call them other than placing an ad?
[quote]On Apr 5, 2018, Danny Kazam wrote:
It sounds like to me that you have no idea how to market yourself[/quote]

It seems like no one knows. I have never got an advice that works.

But again, this thread is not about marketing, it's about why I get zero calls 2018, while I got many calls 2010 although I market myself in EXACTLY the same way.
:

[quote]On Apr 8, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote

But again, this thread is not about marketing, it's about why I get zero calls 2018, while I got many calls 2010 although I market myself in EXACTLY the same way. [/quote]

You hit the nail on the head, the internet has changed everything about selliing yourself, it’s impossible for a person that lives in the USA to advise a person in Sweden on what works In marketing yourself

If you are saying that it’s not marketing, I wonder if you are performing the same show in 2018 that you performed in 2010,
[quote]On Apr 8, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote:

But again, this thread is not about marketing, it's about why I get zero calls 2018, while I got many calls 2010 although I market myself in EXACTLY the same way. [/quote]

I know a few Swedish magicians who would disagree with magic interest diminishing in Sweden. Perhaps they might come on here and make a statement. However, they don't come to the Café' as much as they once did.

I know it maybe a hard pill to swallow, but maybe it's something you are doing, or not doing.

Times are much different than they were in 2010. Marketing strategies change over time. A great marketing plan is key. Work just doesn't fall out of the sky. You have to figure out how to reach those you wish to perform for and convince them why they should hire you without sounding desperate. Describe to them how you can make their event better.

However, since you are only interested in a very small part of the over-all potential of clients, you might have to except that you won't get much gigs. Private parties are only a small fraction of all the types of business a performer can get gigs at.

How badly do you want to perform? How hard are you willing to work at it? There is a saying that you only get back what you are willing to put into it. If you are convinced that people in Sweden have lost interest in magic shows, then you can either be creative and come up with a way to bring back that interest, or move on to something else.

Perhaps you might start by creating a survey/questionnaire, and going out in public places where families might be hanging around to get an idea of what they are thinking. Suggested questions could be; Would you ever hire a magician for your family event? If no, why not? What would you expect from a magician at your event? What do you think is the value of having a magician at your family event? Whatever questions you come up with should give you a better understanding of how to advertise to them. Do a few free shows if you have to in exchange for publicity through word of mouth, and testimonials. Get people talking about you. Hang out in malls handing out business cards while getting their attention with some magic tricks.

I'm just throwing out idea's to hopefully get you thinking of your own idea's. Heck, I wouldn't even have a problem going around the neighborhood knocking on doors, introducing myself, perform a free tricks, tell them about what I do, what service I provide, how I can make their next family event extra special, etc if I had to.

If the entire country of Sweden has indeed lost interest in magic (tough to believe) the only people that can actually answer why are the citizens of Sweden. They will be able to give you the best answer.
Whew Danny, that’s a lot to say.... my opinion is Mikael has lost his passion as a magician

I was a photographer, I lost the passion to ba a photographer, so I moved on and became a passionate magician; now I work every weekend and perform corporate shows during the week... l love what I do :rotf:
[quote]On Apr 8, 2018, Howie Diddot wrote:
Whew Danny, that’s a lot to say.... [/quote]

lol. Yes, true I guess. Hopefully I was able to give even just a little bit of good advice though. :)
Hmmmm......

I've noticed no lagging interest in mab=gic & gigs here in the states, and my friends across the pond say the UK KidBiz is still smashing. Like you suggested in your opening post---there may be something else at work here. What's going on in Sweden? Is there a crimewave or a downturn in the economy?
[quote]On Apr 8, 2018, The Mighty Fool wrote:
Hmmmm......

What's going on in Sweden? Is there a crimewave or a downturn in the economy? [/quote]

Over the past 12 months, President Trump has made controversial remarks about a number of European countries, including Sweden. The comments may long have been supplanted by other news in the United States, but they are still very much on the minds of many Europeans.

In one of the most widely covered comments that baffled Europe, Trump caused confusion at a rally in February when he asked his supporters to “look at what’s happening in Sweden”. :banana:
Mikael, you’ve just identified your own problem! When I suggested other places to look for work, you said: “I only do private parties. I am not interested in anything else.”

And when Danny wrote that you seem to have no idea how to market yourself, you said: “I get zero calls 2018, while I got many calls 2010 although I market myself in EXACTLY the same way.”

Think about it ….
One more thing: Here in the USA, the most successful entertainers spend a lot of money on marketing courses. I personally have spent thousands of dollars. Some of the materials were a waste of money, but others had valuable tips and techniques that really worked, and helped to spotlight my profile and increase my bookings (and subsequently, my income).
I think I have identified the solution to the mystery.

There are a number of other things that people do 2018 at a child's birthday party, that they didn't do in 2010. Those other things have exploded here in my town, and it's precisely my customer group that do them, so there's simply a whole lot more competition about the customers. Naturally you didn't know that. How could you, since I didn't underwstand it myself, and I live here...

So, the mystery is solved at last.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
I think I have identified the solution to the mystery.

There are a number of other things that people do 2018 at a child's birthday party, that they didn't do in 2010. Those other things have exploded here in my town, and it's precisely my customer group that do them, so there's simply a whole lot more competition about the customers. Naturally you didn't know that. How could you, since I didn't underwstand it myself, and I live here...

So, the mystery is solved at last. [/quote]

I perform in the Bay Area of California, the number one destination in the USA for tourism; a location with so many other venues that a birthd party can be held; and well over one thousand children’s magicians, clowns, princess party story tellers, puppeteers and traveling animal petting zoos. A few magicians in my area perform for as low as $100.00 per show

I perform between two and four shows every weekend and I don’t mind or even feel the competition, I even share routines with my magician friends at a SAM and IBM meeting so we can alll be successful and prosper.
I think most of us are aware of competition, and it exists for most of us, if not all of us. As Howie Diddot pointed out. There are clowns, princess party, puppeteers, mobile petting zoo's, reptile shows, super hero characters, bouncy tents, Chuck E Cheese, etc. I believe competition is a great thing. It can keep us from becoming stagnant, and can weed out those who are not willing to put in the work to stay relevant.

As some of us have said before, having a great marketing strategy is key.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2018, Danny Kazam wrote:
I think most of us are aware of competition, and it exists for most of us, if not all of us. As Howie Diddot pointed out. There are clowns, princess party, puppeteers, mobile petting zoo's, reptile shows, super hero characters, bouncy tents, Chuck E Cheese, etc. I believe competition is a great thing. It can keep us from becoming stagnant, and can weed out those who are not willing to put in the work to stay relevant.

As some of us have said before, having a great marketing strategy is key. [/quote]

Danny is correct, “I believe competition is a great thing. It can keep us from becoming stagnant, and can weed out those who are not willing to put in the work to stay relevant”.

Mikael, you posted that you are doing the exact same thing in 2018 that you did in 2010, how many tricks from your 2010 show are still in your 2018 show?

The fact is this, and can’t be disputed, you have not posted one thing about your show

Having tricks that look interesting and entertaining, with a show to perform that the children will greatly enjoy and receiving great feedback on a website is the key to success,

A great marketing strategy with a crappy show with shabby old and well used tricks and less then positive feedback will result in zero phone calls in 2018
Well, now you know what to do, Mikael. Offer something even more exiting than your competitors, and make sure your potential clients know about it!
[quote]On Apr 9, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
Well, now you know what to do, Mikael. Offer something even more exiting than your competitors, and make sure your potential clients know about it! [/quote]

And don’t forget to add music to your show

If you need to find a great royalty free music provider, PM me for the name, he iis a Café member
[quote]On Apr 9, 2018, Howie Diddot wrote:

The fact is this, and can’t be disputed, you have not posted one thing about your show [/quote]

And I never will. Because then, like a law of nature, SOMEONE here will say it's not good enough. And if I change everything to the standards of THAT person, someone ELSE will say it's not good enough.

I am satisfied that every time I perform, there is incredibly positive reactions, and everyone is incredibly happy afterwards, telling me that it was fabulous, and the best thing they have done so far.

I don't like the tone here, suggesting it's my show that is in error.

The things that I compete with NOW, did not exist HERE before, som you cannot compare with the US where those things have existeed forever. I have identified the explanation to the mystery. CASE CLOSED.
It was NOT MY INTENTION to come across in a negative manner.

I Googled your name “magician in Sweden” as it appears on the Café and nothing came up.

If you have not performed as a magician in awhile, no one knows you; no one will ever know you without an Internet presence.

The intention of my question is, if you are still performing the same show you performed in 2010, maybe you need an update and we could help you.

I don’t see how you can say

“I am satisfied that every time I perform, there is incredibly positive reactions, and everyone is incredibly happy afterwards, telling me that it was fabulous, and the best thing they have done so far”

My reasoning about your comment is;

“if you have received zero phone calls in 2018, zero phone calls = zero shows”. Who lately has given you feedback about your show.

I have to update both my kids and adult shows to avoid performing the same routine show after show so I lose the excitement in my voice and replace it with a memorized speech.

That was my intention of asking about your show.

I was not trying to attack your routines and tell you it was “not good enough”.

You replied that you’d NEVER share this with us....

OK I understand the CASE IS CLOSED... good luck, no reply is necessary...

i’m Just clarifying my post so you will understand my intentions... and i’m thinking out loud....
Mikael, this forum is intended for “magicians helping magicians.” You asked a question and lot of people freely gave you good constructive advice.

But you could also be helpful to other magicians by volunteering some information. For example, by describing what the other magicians in your area are doing that makes their acts more sellable than yours. And what you are doing in your shows which makes it less sellable now, as opposed to 8 years ago. We could all learn from that.
[quote]On Apr 10, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
Mikael, this forum is intended for “magicians helping magicians.” You asked a question and lot of people freely gave you good constructive advice.

For example, by describing what the other magicians in your area are doing that makes their acts more sellable than yours. And what you are doing in your shows which makes it less sellable now, as opposed to 8 years ago.[/quote]

Very strange, I've found "The little darlings" section of this forum very humiliating and degrading. Always with accusations of "Your show can't be any good" etc. A magician collegue of mine from the UK used the words "Magicians hating magicians" about this place...

There are no other successful children magicians in my area, and the magician who performs for companies and adults has made exectly the same observation as me, a big decline in jobs.

The people who call me don't know anything about my show, so it has nothing to do with being less sellable. THEY simply don't have as big interest in hiring ANY magician for their child's birthday party.

I'm not interested in advice about my whow, I'm only interested in understanding why there is less interest in magic IN MY TOWN now compared to several years ago. And now I know. I gave the explanation earlier. I've come to realize only a magician performing in MY town could understand the conditions here. Not a magician living in the US or even Stockholm.

So to summarize this:

No one here could explain it, and about everyone tried to make this thread be about something totally different from my original question.
Mikael, I explained it here.

[quote]On Mar 16, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
Sometimes we must create the demand. Rarely does it just happen.

Tom [/quote]

It is not just your area; magic is not something that crosses the mind of normal people. The average person never thinks about magic until it is mentioned by somebody else.
There is no demand in most areas. And there will never be a demand until you or some other magician creates one.

Much like no housewife wants to go out and pay several hundred dollars for a vacuum cleaner, but door to door salespeople sell them every day.

Reminds me of the story about the two shoe salesmen:

A shoe company sent two salesmen to Africa to determine the market potential for their products. One salesman was sent to the north part of Africa, while the other salesman
was sent to the south part of Africa. Both the salesmen completed a survey of the target market and called back to the home office. The salesman sent to the north part of
Africa reported “No one here wears any shoes, there is no market for us here!”. The other salesman sent a message “No one here wears any shoes, there is a huge market for
us, send inventory fast!”.

Tom
[
]

[quote]On Apr 11, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote:

Very strange, I've found "The little darlings" section of this forum very humiliating and degrading. Always with accusations of "Your show can't be any good" etc. A magician collegue of mine from the UK used the words "Magicians hating magicians" about this place...

There are no other successful children magicians in my area, and the magician who performs for companies and adults has made exectly the same observation as me, a big decline in jobs.

The people who call me don't know anything about my show, so it has nothing to do with being less sellable. THEY simply don't have as big interest in hiring ANY magician for their child's birthday party.

So to summarize this:

No one here could explain it, and about everyone tried to make this thread be about something totally different from my original question. [/quote]

I can explain it.

This is not a negative or demeaning post, it’s the reply to the post you have wrtten.

I am positive the hateful attitudes on the Café is precisely because of the negative comments posted by you, and all the other unsuccessful magicians with the same negative mindset like you.

I work every weekend only because potential clients know about my show, they know about my show because the audience attending my shows talks about me and my show and the 5 star positive feedback left by my clients on the internet advertises to everyone else about my show.

You just admitted that when people call you they know nothing about your show, in your original post you admitted that no one has called you in 2018; they don’t call because they don’t know anything about you; there is nothing about you anywhere.

I Googled your name as it appears on the Café in Sweden and nothing came up..

The mystery is solved, you are not getting work because no one knows about you; they don’t know if you are any good as a magician and the people that do know you don’t call because they know nothing about your show, or if your show is any good

You are correct , your show has nothing to do with a client hiring you, it’s your attitude. If you project a negative attitude and a hateful outlook as demonstrated here in your posts to potential clients and every other magician in your town has the same negative attitude and hateful outlook, I wouldn’t hire any of you either .
Having followed this thread and was readying a post that got accidentally erased, I will now only add that this is a different issue than being received. Yes, it is a combined concern with, as Tom said, magic not crossing the mind of most people. You add to that the points Howie has made and you quickly realize it is not just a single, isolated issue.

Yes, I believe magic is waning in popularity, awareness and not on the radar of most people. I say this as someone who books entertainment including magicians worldwide. But more so, this is a business problem as well. Not marketing, but business operational, which includes marketing.

No, the passive type of just sitting back and waiting for the phone to ring with incoming inquiries is much less prevalent than it may have been eight years ago - everywhere, not just in the states or Sweden. The OP has a great opportunity if he is the only one serving the kids market in his area, but to capitalize on it and monetize this opportunity you must rely on business practices. This should be quite easy compared to trying to do it in a well-populated area filled with magicians.

This should be in Tricky Business where these exact issues are discussed. Seems if you employ a system for positioning and awareness the incoming inquiries can begin again with interested prospects.

I am not convinced the "issue has been resolved" as I think it much different/deeper than being considered here.
[quote]On Apr 11, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
[quote]On Apr 10, 2018, arthur stead wrote:

For example, by describing what the other magicians in your area are doing that makes their acts more sellable than yours. And what you are doing in your shows which makes it less sellable now, as opposed to 8 years ago.[/quote]

I'm not interested in advice about my whow, I'm only interested in understanding why there is less interest in magic IN MY TOWN now compared to several years ago. And now I know. I gave the explanation earlier. I've come to realize only a magician performing in MY town could understand the conditions here. Not a magician living in the US or even Stockholm.

So to summarize this:

No one here could explain it, and about everyone tried to make this thread be about something totally different from my original question. [/quote]

Yet, you came here posting a question looking for answers. If you wish to blame competition for the declining interest in magic in Sweden, then you are obviously not willing to do what it takes from a marketing stand point. I would bet you that the competitor's implemented a marketing strategy to create interest in their service. And it sounds like it has been quite successful.

It's too easy to just blame competition, but the reality of it always falls back on us. Unless we do something to create the interest of our service, it's us who doesn't work, making it even easier for our competition to get a strong hold of the market. Having a great show means nothing if no one wants to see it.

I think you have received some great advice from others here, but I believe your ego maybe getting in the way. Whenever things slow down for me, the first thing I ask myself is what can I do to get more exposure that leads to more gigs? I might consult with some of my peers for advice, do some research, perhaps create a promotion, create an email campaign, take out an ad in the local newspaper, etc.

If I'm not getting any work because competitor's are getting all the work, that just simply says that my competitors are doing a much more better job than I am at getting work. I might even look into how they are advertising themselves, what type of marketing strategy they are using, etc.

The problem isn't solved by recognizing that competitor's are getting all the work. It's only the beginning of your problem. I hope things work out for you.
Mikael, when succeeding at magic becomes a matter of life or death (as it has for me more than once), you will be forced think of ways to survive, create new ideas to generate income, and beat out the competition. It requires an open mind, determination, and a willingness to accept responsibility.

You've been given a lot of suggestions on how to improve your business by all the contributors in this thread. If I were you, I'd put my ego aside, stop blaming other people, and listen to the advice these entertainment professionals have generously shared with you.

We wish you well. Enough said.
This thread is NOT about getting more gigs. Read my first post again.
[quote]On Apr 12, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote:

This thread is NOT about getting more gigs. Read my first post again. [/quote]

Your correct, if you analyze your first post the thread is about why you’re not getting any gigs.
[quote]On Apr 12, 2018, Howie Diddot wrote:

Your correct, if you analyze your first post the thread is about why you’re not getting any gigs. [/quote]

I don't need to analyze it. It's been crystal clear to anyone the entire time it's about why I get less gigs now than a few yers back.

So why don't you understand?
:

[quote]On Apr 12, 2018, Howie Diddot wrote:

You’re correct, if you analyze your first post the thread is about why you’re not getting any gigs. [/quote]

[quote]On Apr 13, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote;

I don't need to analyze it. It's been crystal clear to anyone the entire time it's about why I get less gigs now than a few yers back. So why don't you understand? [/quote]

I read your first post, the post says that you have received zero calls in 2018; zero calls equals zero shows NOT LESS SHOWS and you won’t listen to anyone here who wants to assist you

Additionally you bash everyone here by writing that we will tell you that your show is not good enough and the Café is full of negativity

I have given up on reasoning with you, you’’re beyond being helped, so sit on your La-Z-Boy lounger (see aviator above) and wait for the phone to ring

BTW in 2010, my phone rang off the hook, in 2018, my phone doesn’t ring either, my email inbox is full... this is the way I book gigs in 2018
Wow, I can't believe the attitude from Mikael Eriksson. So disrespectful considering many have taken the time to respond with nothing but good advice and intentions. :(
It seems he is asking the wrong questions or seeing the wrong problem. Perhaps he is correct but it part of a greater issue. Prospects didn't just go away, especially in the kids market. Yes, there are still kids, yes, they are still having birthdays, yes they still go to school, yes there are still family restaurants they go to, yes there are still additional viable kids markets worldwide.

The real issue is why is he not receiving the calls he used to? This is what many here are trying to assit with, but it doesn't seem to be welcome. Why identify and focus only on a portion of the picture or problem?
Thinking out loud here: Maybe he doesn’t get calls for the same reason the non magician down the street doesn’t get calls.
Solve that mystery and he could be in business.

Tom
Previous threads which might be of interest to some on this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=17&topic=49624 (see especially page 2 onwards)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=50803

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=17&topic=51988

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=143318&forum=44

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=143623&forum=44

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=187750&forum=17

And now you know why I stayed off of this thread (until now).

- Donald
It's really quite simple at the foundational level - you won't get calls if no one knows about you.
This explains a lot. Sounds like a recurring problem for him, all the way back to 2003. It reminds me of the saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it." [quote]On Apr 13, 2018, Donald Dunphy wrote:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=17&topic=49624 (see especially page 2 onwards)

- Donald [/quote]
[quote]On Apr 13, 2018, Donald Dunphy wrote:

- Donald [/quote]

Good. Now EVERYONE can check how I was treated last time MY EXPERIENCE was different than others in this thread. My experience HERE where I live is worth billions of times more than the OPINIONS of people in the US who don't know ANYTHING about the conditions here.

A few days back I talked to the most hired childrens magician in Sweden, and he confirmed my observation that in other parts of Sweden than the capital, it has been a decline.

You are once again confirming that some magicians are the worst scumbags I have ever encountered. You are trolls, with the sole purpose to destroy for other magicians. Now LEAVE THIS THREAD. I have already solved the mystery myself. There is nothing left to discuss.

Very interesting, by the way, that one of the most aggressive attackers was actually suspended from the forum, because of his attacks on me. Maybe it's something that's coming for you too? :)
[quote]On Apr 13, 2018, Danny Kazam wrote:
This explains a lot. Sounds like a recurring problem for him, all the way back to 2003. It reminds me of the saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it." [quote]On Apr 13, 2018, Donald Dunphy wrote:

- Donald [/quote] [/quote]

Ahhh! Now I see the missing part that wasn't making sense. Once again, Donald was quite wise. That's for this Donald.

Now he's trying to get the thread deleted http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=663626&forum=40 which is odd when such great advice was offered from many only trying to help.

I'd love to have threads deleated when responders said things I didn't like as well, but often these threads also can help others too.
Thank you Donald.I read one of the posts from a thread you posted here and this is what it said

[Quote]
On 2003-12-09 04:04, Billy Whizz wrote:

I've just broken down the shows I have for December:

1 Hour shows = 32
2 Hour shows = 29
3 Hour shows = 3

This earns me £5925.00.[/quote]

[quote]On Dec 8, 2003, Mikael Eriksson wrote

So basically you earn as much in one month as all my combined income for a year. I have to move to a bigger city

Mikaela[/quote]

MYSTEREY SOLVED....

Based on the information Mikael posted. he has never made much money in magic, ever
If he's not making the money it is because he hasn't ever established his value in the market. Also, it is much easier to dominate a smaller local market than a bigger market or city. Just ask the performers in LA, New York, Chicago, etc.

Perception is the basis of our foundation, and if your perceptions and beliefs at this level are wrong or incorrect, everything based and built upon this will be as well.
In my opinion Mikaela is not making much money because of his attitude

I have been reading a few of the threads Donald as posted. And Mikaela, does not have the most positive outlook on magic.

This is not a personal attack, just my opinion of why he has never been successful as a magician
I agree. There are helpful tips on this thread, which might help others, even if Mikael doesn't find them helpful.

BTW, whenever I've noticed that shows seem to slow down for me, I think that it's because of a couple of things. Either I'm not performing enough shows (being seen by audiences leads to more shows... if I do a good job), OR because I'm not doing enough good marketing (not all marketing leads to more shows, so I used the qualifier "good" in front of "marketing"). Or a combination of the two.

I think I have pretty good sales skills / human relations skills, which is a third part of the picture of getting shows.

So, I don't see it as an external problem that I can't control / can't influence. I realize that I can do things to change my situation, and so I go to work on those.

I try not to see it as a bad economy or lack of interest in magic, because those are things I can't control, and so I would make no effort / little effort to change the situation.

- Donald
Hi Mikael,

Since this thread started, I’ve tried to offer constructive advice. All my posts have remained friendly, even though your responses have, at times, been inflammatory and disrespectful. I’ve even restrained myself from saying what I really feel, i.e. that you are the most stubborn person I’ve ever dealt with online. I was willing to overlook all that in order to keep the conversation going, and hopefully help to solve your problem about not getting calls for work.

But since you have now resorted to calling all of us “scumbags” and “trolls”, I guess I’ll just have to state what has now become painfully obvious: The reason why you’re not getting any calls is because of your nasty attitude.

Sincerely,

Arthur Stead