(Close Window)
Topic: NFW - how is it holding up?
NFW was released around 15 years ago now.

How is it holding up? Are people still using it regularly?

And how does it stack up against more recent packet trick releases? It used to be THE packet trick of choice for many - is that still the case, or has material come out since that has relegated it to the background?

I haven't really kept up with the more popular packet tricks over the last 10 years of so, but I don't seem to notice NFW mentioned as often as it used to be.
Richard Sanders released "ACE" a couple years ago. Basically same effect with better made gaff. NFW was a knockoff of an older Sanders effect that used either 5's or 10's called "Supercards" or something like that. The dvd with "ACE" has some fresh ideas and alternate moves.

So... both and/or all of the above hold up very well to this day. I know I use it a lot and get great reactions.
I've always liked NFW. It's still a great effect. But then Penguin Magic released ""No Joke" which is the same ending but it's much more direct as it eliminates the turning over of the jokers, and goes directly into the jokers changing into aces while the spectators hands are covering them. So you might say it eliminates all the fluff.

I like it a lot and have been using it in lieu of NFW.
No Joke is just a different handling and uses the same gaffs as NFW, is that right?
Nfw is awesome,I use it all the time https://youtu.be/-wCVjW6chk8
Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462161&forum=201
[quote]On Mar 30, 2018, EndersGame wrote:
No Joke is just a different handling and uses the same gaffs as NFW, is that right? [/quote]

Correct. Quite ingenious, though.
[quote]On Mar 30, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
I've always liked NFW. It's still a great effect. But then Penguin Magic released ""No Joke" which is the same ending but it's much more direct as it eliminates the turning over of the jokers, and goes directly into the jokers changing into aces while the spectators hands are covering them. So you might say it eliminates all the fluff.

I like it a lot and have been using it in lieu of NFW. [/quote]
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Penguin+Magic+released+%22%22No+Joke%22&view=detail&mid=BD609AC29F2BC9FE7F26BD609AC29F2BC9FE7F26&FORM=VIRE
Peter Pellikaan has taken the plot in reverse and added one further step with his [i]How is this possible?[/i] trick.

[url]https://youtu.be/0TX_xr4IeeE[/url]

Of course, this version is only for table magic. It is available directly from him: [url]https://www.pellikaancardmagic.com[/url]
I bumped up MB's old post about NFW- what a great trick thread. just sayin.
This was one of the first packet tricks I purchased. back when I was much younger. I think after finding out the method and seeing the gaffs I thought "Meh" but I have started using it again and the response is great! plus It packs nice and small.
The cards wore out after 3,000 uses.. ;) ...
One of the only packet tricks I still use regularly. I came up with an alternate handling for it: some day Iíll put it on video and share it here.
Someone earlier in this thread recommended [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3580]ACE by Richard Sanders[/url] as an improvement on [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/23]NFW by Gary Freed[/url].

I'd love to hear some comments from others on the Richard Sanders effect - would you recommend purchasing this instead of NFW?
Since I was the one, I will give you some of my reasons.
ACE has a dvd rather than xeroxed instructions, easier to follow
More variations are taught
Gimmick is made better IMO (plus gimmick only refills available from Richards site) at a lower price.
(Or, if you prefer, if your gimmick wears out over a ton of use, you can replace with NFW type gimmick) I have found two alternative ways to fix up a gimmick (since I gaff my own in Phoenix back) One (I am pretty sure) is the same as Richard uses and the other is as simple but works better than the NFW item used.
I don't think "ACE" is an improvement, it's just different. As Poof-Daddy mentions above, it is a better quality product in many respects. However, if the trick interests you, and you can afford it, buy both (buy "NFW" from Penguin and you'll also get Rick Lax's variations on the plot).

I think "NFW", "ACE" and "No Joke" are all worthy of space in your packet trick wallet. They're particularly good if you don't want to carry a full deck with you. Remember, the original "NFW" is a version of Vernon's "Twisting the Aces" with a transformation kicker.

When it comes to "ACE" and "No Joke", I can perform the same trick with unprepared cards from a regular deck. In fact, I've worked out several ways to do this so that you end completely clean. From the audiences point of view, the trick looks the same. This makes it difficult for me to justify carrying the cards around with me all the time. I can't do the same with Gary Freed's original handling BTW.

Marty

P.S. Some videos for comparison.

[youtube]kS0rK2bDuAo[/youtube]

[youtube]qKoQ2Wgt1EQ[/youtube]

[youtube]nhFuqoTMdVQ[/youtube]

[youtube]l8beNeesvlI[/youtube]
Version of Twisting the Aces? Not sure I can agree with that Marty. 🙂 Just sayin'. db
OK, more accurately it's a twisting routine similar to Vernon's "Twisting the Aces". Vernon's routine is considered the first of its type. Essentially, "NFW" is the same effect with four Jokers. Yes, the cards go from face up to face down, but I'd still consider it part of the same "twisting" family of effects. Not quite the same, but similar in essence.

Recently, it seems people are moving away from performing the twisting phase. This is kinda like performing the finale of a cups and balls routine, but not the phases that lead up to it. It's a legitimate choice. However, I'm not sure it makes the trick stronger as many suggest.

Marty
I like the handling for No Joke, to bad it isnít on Penguin anymore.
@Wravyn, are you sure? I thought it was still included when you buy NFW, along with classic handlings demo'd by Jay Nobelzada and one similar to the handling used for ACE by Nick Locapo:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/23

Marty
Thank you Marty, I did a search for just No Joke and also searched under Rick Lax for it. I did not search the NFW. Appreciate your help.
Marty, thanks especially for posting those videos of the different handlings - very helpful, and appreciated!
No problem, glad I could help. Rick's handlings are worth the entrance fee, I think. The bar handling is particularly useful.

In terms of the original handling, I use a suggestion by Mark Farrar and include an extra Joker:

http://www.markfarrar.co.uk/nfw.htm

This makes the initial display a little easier to perform smoothly. More importantly for me, it leaves the participant with a face-up "leader" Joker in front of them at the end. Using five Jokers also allows me to attach a poker presentation to the trick.

Marty
I'd like to point out that Richard sells refills for ACE (which goes for $25) for as little as $13.33 when you buy 3 sets. I think it's really classy for a vendor to take care of the customers who are using their product day-in and day-out with that sort of pricing.

sandersfx.com

Any comments on the relative merits of the adhesive vs the double stick tape?
$13.33 for 3 sets or each? Just curious.
I wasn't going to answer, because how hard is it to click thru on the link I provided, but I've learned that there are sections of this bulletin board that I must have 50 posts in order to access, so to clarify, you can buy 3 sets for $40, making it 13.33 per set, basically, half-price.

46 to go... anybody got questions about touring Atlantic Canada in the 90s?
[quote]On Sep 9, 2018, David_MacFarlane wrote:
I wasn't going to answer, because how hard is it to click thru on the link I provided, but I've learned that there are sections of this bulletin board that I must have 50 posts in order to access, so to clarify, you can buy 3 sets for $40, making it 13.33 per set, basically, half-price.

46 to go... anybody got questions about touring Atlantic Canada in the 90s? [/quote]

Man, Sounds like somebody needs a hug......🤦‍♂️🤣.
The No Joke videos are still there, if you have ever bought NFW from Penguin, look in your downloadable videos section for NFW and click the green "learn" button.
[quote]On Sep 11, 2018, misterbill wrote:
The No Joke videos are still there, if you have ever bought NFW from Penguin, look in your downloadable videos section for NFW and click the green "learn" button. [/quote]

MartyJacobs posted them on the first page of this thread as well. 🙂
Just to be clear, are all 3 effects the exact same gaffs? People mentioned quality, so is it just that the workmanship is better or the substance/material? Or is it the same but flipping what if face up and face down?
[quote]Just to be clear, are all 3 effects the exact same gaffs?[/quote]
Yes, all of Rick's handlings use the same gaff. "ACE" by Richard Sanders also uses the same type of gaff.

Marty
Did sandersfx change the link to watch the videos when you buy Ace? The link in the instructions doesn't work :(
[quote]On Sep 11, 2018, Bill Thompson wrote:
The No Joke videos are still there, if you have ever bought NFW from Penguin, look in your downloadable videos section for NFW and click the green "learn" button. [/quote]

Lately, it seems anything I like is never available at Penguin. Can't find "Ace" or "No Joke".
Same with Vanishing Inc. I can't tell you the number of times I click on something I want, only to have it say that it isn't available. The worst part is wanting to get an impulse buy to bring the shopping cart up to the "free shipping" level and wasting an hour clicking on things to find something they actually have in stock.
It would be nice if all of these larger online retailers would at least have someone to remove out of stock items (especially the ones that likely will not ever be in stock again). Many sites still show books that have been out of print for a long time. I will say at least some sites like VI and Penguin offer an option of receiving an email when stock is replenished.
[quote]On Mar 18, 2019, magicwiia wrote:
Lately, it seems anything I like is never available at Penguin. Can't find "Ace" or "No Joke". [/quote]
You can find ACE here - https://sandersfx.com/collections/all/products/ace
and just the accessories here - https://sandersfx.com/collections/accessories-1/products/ace-accessories

If you only need the 1 gaff, it can be made easily, purchased from several online gaffers or found in other gaff sets.
[url=https://www.amazon.com/d/Liquid-Glues/Aleenes-Tack-Over-Liquid-Glue/B00178QQ84]Aleene's Tack-It Over an Over[/url] was recommended to me here and I find it better than double stick tape in most instances. I just put it on with my finger. You can easily make the restickable spot as big as you need. I prefer it to ds tape.

[quote]On Sep 6, 2018, David_MacFarlane wrote:
I'd like to point out that Richard sells refills for ACE (which goes for $25) for as little as $13.33 when you buy 3 sets. I think it's really classy for a vendor to take care of the customers who are using their product day-in and day-out with that sort of pricing.

sandersfx.com

Any comments on the relative merits of the adhesive vs the double stick tape? [/quote]