(Close Window)
Topic: Cleaning Scotch and Soda
I've got the English 10p-2p version and want to know the best way to clean them.

Thanks.
Probably Polish, it works for the centavo
You could use this product called Tarn. X and use a Q-tip to clean your coins. Or use aluminum polish to clean your coins.
Which type of polish is best?
Don't use the chemicals. Go to a jewelry supply shop and purchase a jeweler's cloth. These are wonderful for cleaning all sorts of small metal objects.

These are really two cloths. One is a polish cloth and the other is used for buffing.

All total about $8 and it lasts forever.
I cleaned my copper/silver piece with Brasso. The only problem is that it now has a shine on the copper side that won't go away. So, after the real copper penny has tarnished a little, the two coins don't match. I had a spectator pick up on this the last time I performed it. I guess now I'll just have to keep both coins highly polished.
[quote]On 2004-04-25 16:46, Dawai wrote:
You could use this product called Tarn. X and use a Q-tip to clean your coins. Or use aluminum polish to clean your coins.[/quote]
Tarn X didn't work well on my coins. It cleaned them up for about four hours, then they had all sorts of terrible stains and such.

I find that vinegar and salt works the best.
Don't use TarnX!

Silver polish works well. That's what I use.

Something else that works is taco sauce. Put a copper coin into some taco sauce and leave it for a few hours. When you take it out it will be shiny copper.

And we eat this stuff???
Thanks for the advice
I cleaned my Scotch and Soda with salt and vinegar, but it made the gimmick half look a little pinkish, like it removed some of the finish, has anyone else had this problem?
I prefer keeping my silver shiny and my copper dark, for contrast personally.
I use an electric ring cleaner.
Acetone?
Try 'Wright's Silver Cream' found at most super-markets in the USA and probably available in Great Britain. Use a Q-tip and very light pressure until you get what you want. If you use an identical coin to produce after the miracle polish it too.

-Bob
Use Wright's Silver Cream for the half dollar and his Copper Polish for the Centavo. Good luck!
I still think they look "more real", sic., tarnished. And you loose value if you polish your coins.