(Close Window)
Topic: K*y card favorites
I feel I under-utilise this principle in my SW trick collection. :)

The only tricks I do with a KC are:
The circus card trick
Nervous card

There's got to other good ideas out there I'm missing? :)
Emotional Reaction by Dai Vernon :-)
Two beauts: Wayne Dobson's COMPATIBILITY on Big Blind Media's Awesome Self Working Card Tricks DVD, and Sal Piacente's 4,5,6-Packet Trick in his Lecture Notes Vol. 2 DVD.
Cheers for the info guys :)
Jean Hugard's "Encyclopedia of Card Tricks" has an entire chapter devoted to magic with Key Cards (as well as other chapters that are devoted to other easily learned principles of card magic). One source: https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Card-Tricks-Jean-Hugard/dp/0486212521
If you count a Br*****r C***p as a key, I use it in half the "pick a card" type tricks I know…

Using normal cards, the "Circus Card Trick" is also one I like.

Jack Parker's "Done Burying" (52 Memories) is another I really like - I find it quite surprising and not hard to do. A nice trick, I really enjoy it.

"Palatino" by Aldo Colombini is another one of my favourites (his version of Ryan Matney's "Desolation Row", from the book "Strictly Impromp2"). It's a version of the Hofzinser idea, here the selection changes places with a queen of the same suit. True, as written it does not use a key. But having a card selected, returned and then removing the four queens - a key is an obvious and simple alternative.

Using double keys, "Computer Mind" is an interesting trick. It's in the "Self-Working Card Tricks" book by Karl Fulves. Perhaps a false cut /shuffle would enhance it after the procedure (and maybe the card could be found missing, and produced from the pocket or perhaps reversed in the deck, instead of just naming it/finding it).
More good stuff guys - thanks :). So much can be done with something so humble :)
Check out Ryan Shlutz's Effortless Effects for some nice keycard tricks and a very useful idea called the GAP principle.
Do As I Do.

Yes, I know it's in every beginner's magic book, but it's still a great trick with great impact.
I guess the circus card trick- since I read just recently around here that it is the same as Turnover Card from CCIM. Love that trick and it gets great reactions.
Kizmet from Michael Vincent!!
John Carey has some nice touches using this principal.
A Condition of Balance
Magicfish, can you please provide a reference for A Condition of Balance? Thanks.
A great opener effect to do is to use the mechanic but do a wrong reveal. Then perform a color change to the correct card. It hits really great for a starter effect as it is not too strong, but sets the stage for the rest of your performance.
[quote]On Sep 2, 2018, adiabaticman wrote:
Magicfish, can you please provide a reference for A Condition of Balance? Thanks. [/quote]
See Roberto Giobbi, Card College Lighter p.66
Enjoy!
Thank you ThePhoenix!
There's a great effect on Sal Paciente's Expert Card Magic - vol 2. He goes over the us of KC a bit as well. I have not performed this yet - I'm still practicing and learning the theory behind this one - but the performance was awesome and I couldn't immediately figure it out.
John Carey's version of Emotional Reaction by Vernon is great! I like how the key card is spotted. Fooled me.

It's on Impossible Card Locations and is called Emotional Reaction Plus.

Kevin
I am taking cards seriously for the first time. It does not take long to notice how a key card makes things so much easier and more practical.
Ishin-Denshin. It isn’t easy, but it’s impressive.
21 Card Trick- Solomon/Powers, Solomon’s Secrets
This is Mindreading? - Lorayne
Face down prediction -- Wright and Larsen

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=206&topic=681758
Roberto Giobbi

Your Number, Your Card

Card College 1
I love to perform "move a card " like memory techniques.
Pseud-O-Mem by Terry Lagerould
Braude's Mental Card Trick from "Scarne on Card Tricks" uses it quite brilliantly.

Dead Reckoning from Dear Mr Fantasy ... but not in the way you'd think. It uses a couple of different ideas that put together creates an effect that is quite genius.
[quote]On Jan 22, 2019, Brad Ballew wrote:
Braude's Mental Card Trick from "Scarne on Card Tricks" uses it quite brilliantly.

Dead Reckoning from Dear Mr Fantasy ... but not in the way you'd think. It uses a couple of different ideas that put together creates an effect that is quite genius. [/quote]
Thanks for this post. Looked up "Braude's Mental Card Trick" and performed it for the Mrs. It passed the test, she was suitably impressed!
[quote]On Jan 23, 2019, docguitarman wrote:
[quote]On Jan 22, 2019, Brad Ballew wrote:

Dead Reckoning from Dear Mr Fantasy ... but not in the way you'd think. It uses a couple of different ideas that put together creates an effect that is quite genius. [/quote]
Thanks for this post. Looked up "Braude's Mental Card Trick" and performed it for the Mrs. It passed the test, she was suitably impressed! [/quote]

Yeah, it's very deceptive. No one thinks past the top or bottom if you know what I mean. I'd never thought of it before I read that trick.
Daryl-Moveless Miracle.
Memory Man by Joel Givens
I learned it as the Gemini Twins, but not the Michael Ammar Gemini Twins. I'm not sure if it has a more proper name.
So many suggestions here I'd never heard of ... :)

I added emotional reaction to my K*ycard favourites. Lovely :)
Funny thing is: the k*ycard principle is so well known even by non-magicians (every child has an uncle who does a k*ycard-trick to surprise the kid), and still there are so many excellent tricks by well-respected magicians using this principle. Roberto Giobbi's "Light"-series has a number of k*ycard-tricks.
So true!
That raises an interesting point, adrianrbf - a lot of people know about a lot of things we do, from KCs to gaff decks, yet many are still fooled by those same things.

I guess the important thing is not that a method or prop becomes useless when widely exposed, it's that the way it is used and the way it appears must be changed.
[quote]On Feb 26, 2019, Terrible Wizard wrote:

I guess the important thing is not that a method or prop becomes useless when widely exposed, it's that the way it is used and the way it appears must be changed. [/quote]

While I can agree with this statement in general, I would still discourage using things that are well known to the lay public. At least if you want to look professional? Professionals, need to present things to our audiences that they have never seen and if uncle Harry can do it, it cheapens the performance in the eyes of a paying audience.

You are right that if we can disguise the effect to look different either with patter or presentation it might go by? But today's exposer on youtube make mockery of our art and makes it difficult to entertain with many of the classics in magic. Pen through dollar comes to mind. Once the gimmick is known, it's hard to camouflage the effect. I have had limited sucess doing a pen through card routine using it but still am nervous performing it.

Thanks TW for your insight into the issue and for starting the thread :)
[quote]On Feb 27, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I would still discourage using things that are well known to the lay public. At least if you want to look professional? [/quote]

Thanks for the thanks :)

But regarding your comment above, I understand the idea, but in the internet age hasn't pretty much everything become known to the public? And yet they still love a good performance of such classics as the linking rings and cups and balls.

And aren't many still fooled by TTs, sw*mis, m*rked cards, paddle tricks and m*gicians choice (so long as they are done well)?

When it comes to cards and card moves, I guess the same can be said for many principles/sleights like a stack, palm, or k*ycard, where the principle is well known, yet can be hidden so effectively that when used competently will work almost the whole time.

Yet, I do agree that there are some 'danger moves' which are not only exposed, but also difficult to hide, like a DT/DL - and these moves should probably be used with greater care and thought as to how/when/why they are performed. :)
I would still warn against doing things common to hobbyists, as a professional. But I don't want to belabor the point.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
While I can agree with this statement in general, I would still discourage using things that are well known to the lay public. At least if you want to look professional? Professionals, need to present things to our audiences that they have never seen and if uncle Harry can do it, it cheapens the performance in the eyes of a paying audience.[/quote]
this is certainly true for effects, but not for methods. When spectators say "this pro uses the k*ycard method, the same that uncle Harry also uses", then the pro is in trouble. However, being a pro, his effect should be so much different from uncle Harry's that spectators won't notice the k*ycard method. Moreover, uncle Harry knows three card tricks at the most, and he never lets you shuffle the deck. Whenever he asks you to pick a card, he will find it the exactly same way as before. Professional magicians can use the same methods that hobbyists do, but they have to du it much better.

BTW, professional musicians performing for paying audiences use the same methods that auntie Elisabeth does - only much better.
Adrian,

I like Auntie Elisabeth -- hurray for women magicians, professional or not!

Bob
[quote]On Feb 27, 2019, adrianrbf wrote:
. Professional magicians can use the same methods that hobbyists do, but they have to du it much better. [/quote]

This is probably the only part of your post I disagree with. In many respects I think it's more the other way around ... But that's a controversial discussion for another time, lol :)
[quote]On Feb 27, 2019, Terrible Wizard wrote:
This is probably the only part of your post I disagree with. In many respects I think it's more the other way around ... But that's a controversial discussion for another time, lol :) [/quote]
Interesting point. If you propose another thread to discuss this further, I will happily follow you there.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2019, Bob G wrote:
I like Auntie Elisabeth -- hurray for women magicians, professional or not!
[/quote]
Often, Uncle Harry does card tricks, Auntie Elisabeth plays the piano. Which is of course a gender cliché. We need more aunts to do card tricks. If we need more uncles to play the piano, is a totally different question! ;-)

Sorry for the rant... back to topic: In German, the "Handbuch der Magie" by Jochen Zmeck, a standard work in magical basics, describes several card tricks which follow the k*ycard method.
Ouch! I'm an uncle who plays piano. :)
[quote]On Feb 28, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Ouch! I'm an uncle who plays piano. :) [/quote]

Better than being a piano who plays an uncle I guess :)
¡Absolutely, Senor! Or a piano who cheats at poker.
¡Absolutely, Senor! Or a piano who cheats at poker. [/quote]

Would it use 88 cards?
Hmmm... That would certainly be a good way for it to cheat, Wrayn. But let's stick to the topic. Mine uses 88 k*ys.
Ouch! I'm an uncle who plays piano. :) [/quote]
Actually, I am an uncle who plays cello. ;)
Very cool. Seems like a lot of magicians play music. You aren't, by any chance, married to a woman named Elisabeth who does magic tricks?

Well, this is fun, but I suppose we should save the airwaves for people who want to list more keycard tricks!
Steve Beam Semi-Automatic Card Tricks Vol 9 Good Loser is a great effect. The entire chapter titled The Losers is filled with cool K C effects.
Ryan Schultz have a lot neat ideas on the subject.
Just viewed "Lightweight" on Paul Gordon's Live at the Table. A card weighing effect.