(Close Window)
Topic: Coins Through Table
Just a simple question or two for your opinion. Who, in your opinion, is today's foremost expert on the coins through table plot?

Also, whose routine in that regard would you consider the finest ever put together? Consider such factors as versatility, originality, cleanness, portability, and astonishment potential of the routine in question.

I tend to favor Slydini's coins through table as the very finest, but I am biased because I like Slydini so very much.

I would like to hear your opinions.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 27, 2004 07:14PM)
I happen to like the Kaps thing. Four coins are stacked on the table. The coins are covered with one hand. The other hand goes under...and "SQUASH" the coins go through. No fussing, no proving.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Apr 27, 2004 07:17PM)
That's a tough question, and as with all plots there are many good routines out there, each with their own strengths and versatilities for different performance conditions. MY own stand up coins through the table is in my COINvention lecture notes. An earlier version appeared years ago on the original videonics series from West Germany, that hasn't made it to DVD yet.
I'll never forget the first time I seen David Roth's "Squash" routine, seen it on video and my jaw hit the floor, must have played it back 50 times.

Joe
You're right, Mike, now that you mention it...that's one I HAVEN'T seen you do. Which leads me to an interesting question...

Do you think you have enough material to, say, put out a volume FOUR of either [i]Knock-Out Coin Magic[/i] or [i]Encyclopedia of Sleights[/i]? Or enough to say put out a "miscellaneous" DVD including the rest of your gems?

Also, have you seen Mickey Silver's One-Handed Coins Through Table? That one really "floored" me! LOL!

Doug
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Apr 27, 2004 07:34PM)
Hey Doug, how are you. Yes, I have a bunch of new material and sleights, but I'm in discussion to make new DVDs with a couple of people, and I still have to put out my big book (boy, it takes a while!) as well. Anythng else I do will be apart from the old series.
I would have to go with Tony. It is not so much the trick. There are many good versions. Slydini created an experience with that trick. So if I take all the factors you mentioned into account, Slydini was unique. His development of that plot was an exercise in character. I can't think of anyone else who comes close to creating a complete magical experience with this one trick.

Goshman did it with the salt shakers, and Lavand with the breadcrumbs, Don Alan with the Chop Cup. But it is definitely Slydini who owns the Coins Through the Table...

Best, PSC
I love to nail those "in the know" with Slydini's "wrong way coins" -- so few ever try it, but it fries.

The clip to vanish the stack of six is another favorite of mine.
I'm going to take another path here and mention Jay Sankey's coins thru routine from Rev. Coin Magic. I find the overall effect, of the coin going down through the table, and then popping back up through the table to be very clever, not to metion it makes for some great spectator reactions.

Additionally, the simplicity of the method is mind boggling. Coin from exposed view to CP and through the table, flying shuttle to prove empty hands, and a Ramsay hide and seak to finish up. I found the routine to be refreshingly simple, but very visual at the same time. Most of Sankey's stuff relies upon simplicity of method, which is something I strive for with my magic... that's probably why I dig that routine so much! :)

All the Best,

Mike
I agree with Mike on Sankey's version- a real eye popper. What resources exist that show Slydini performing this effect?
I like Patrick Pages stand up coins thro table routine from his trik a tape video.
Somewhere I published a stand up coins thru table using a hoo coin... maybe Tarbell?
RE: "I agree with Mike on Sankey's version- a real eye popper. What resources exist that show Slydini performing this effect?"

Not too many Tedski. The Dick Cavett show tapes show Slydini's handling of the coins through, along with many of his other classic coin routines... Aside from that, I don't think there is any other multimedia materials.

Mike
[quote]
On 2004-04-28 12:22, Pete Biro wrote:
Somewhere I published a stand up coins thru table using a hoo coin... maybe Tarbell?
[/quote]

Yes Pete it is in Tarbell. It can be found in Tarbell #7
Paul is right, of course, I don't think anyone has ever "made the trick his own" more than Slydini. He made an act of it, leading the audience down one garden path after the other. We should mention for newcomers that when Slydini did the routine, the coins went through the table 6 to 8 times, sometimes even more. Sometimes, they went back up, and sometimes they just went across. Sometimes, his famous "one coin routine" was included.

I don't know if he followed all this with his routine where the six half dollars all go through the table at once, but that much is suggested in "The Magic of Slydini". This handling rivaled the Kaps routine in cleanliness.

On another note, does anyone else remember Jimmy Grippo's coins through the table? I recall seeing this on television many, many years ago. This was as simple and direct as can be. A single coin is seen at your fingertips, tapped on the table, and it passes right through. This is repeated.

This always struck me as the way a real magician would put coins through a table. Assuming he intended to push one coin through, he would only pick up the one coin. In most routines, all the coins are carefully counted into one hand, and the whole lot slammed down, just to get one to go through. This having happened, the whole counting thing is repeated. None of my routines have ever worked this way.

See "'Lonely' coins through table" in Best of Friends, Vol. 2, Lorrayne, my standup coins through table in an upcoming episode of "Palms", and Jonathan Townsend's routine in Apocalypse.
Roth's routine is excellent.
Dean Dill has a brand new, very visual stand-up coins through table to glass routine. He was showing it at the Magic Castle swap meet a week ago, but he hasn't released it.

Another contender in the visual dept. is James Lewis's Coins Through Glass Table.

Cheers,
Jerry
Dill must have released it as he sold out of the coins. He did it several times today at the barber shop and it is amazing.
My stand up version will be published in a few weeks.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 29, 2004 06:35AM)
Mickey has something nice where he drops a coin right through the table.
I used Sankey's routine "Ups and Downs" for a while. I tend to use a Troy Hooser routine regulaly right now. It uses a gimmick, but it's great!
If you haven't seen Syldini perform it, then you haven't seen it done the best way it can.

I watch Sankey do his version, was impressed, watched David Roth do his and was stunned.

But when I watched Syldini do it on Dick Cavett show, it blew my mind.

"You know why you do see it, 'cause you don't watch."

I love that line!

Syldini made this a classic routine in my mind.
That one, and

"...you know what you're trouble is? Too many coins..."

Mike
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 29, 2004 09:02AM)
Re:"If you haven't seen Slydini perform it, then you haven't seen it done the best way it can. "

Slydini is dead. Sorry. It's too late to sit with him and watch the trick happen. And it's just plain nasty to tease people who will never have that opportunity now.

He did what was right for him. It's up to us to do what is right for us now. That means each of us... individually.
[quote]
On 2004-04-28 12:27, WildStone wrote:
RE: "I agree with Mike on Sankey's version- a real eye popper. What resources exist that show Slydini performing this effect?"

Not too many Tedski. The Dick Cavett show tapes show Slydini's handling of the coins through, along with many of his other classic coin routines... Aside from that, I don't think there is any other multimedia materials.

Mike
[/quote]

Mike, is there anyway to obtain and view those tapes you mentioned?
I had a stand-up coins 4 coins through A glass table top in print A few years Ago! It's somewhere In the 20th year of Apocalypse! And I have a 3 coins up through that's not in print yet! And a backfire 4 coin handling that's not in print yet!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
I like Derek Dingle's International Coin Trick. I also like my own version of it.
It may be that David Neighbors is the expert on the classic plots in magic. He sure seems to give these effects a thorough exploration.
Hay thanks Jon!
And If we are talking About International Coins trough the table I had A backfire handleing in print in 1987 In my book coinjurering!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David,

Have you played with the Kaps coin squash? The one where you make a pile on the table and they all go through at one time? It seems a very good trick and I bet you either have already or could solve the problem of how to pull the thingie effectively so the action is smooth. Also, how many coins is the best to squash at once?

Best to you,

Jon
Hi Jon,
No I have not gotten around to playing with it yet. But it is on my list of stuff to play with (as is a lot of other stuff!) Just so much cool stuff and not much Time! :)
Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
[quote]
On 2004-04-28 13:49, Curtis Kam wrote:
...On another note, does anyone else remember Jimmy Grippo's coins through the table? I recall seeing this on television many, many years ago. This was as simple and direct as can be. A single coin is seen at your fingertips, tapped on the table, and it passes right through. This is repeated.
[/quote]

Yes I remember it well. Jimmy had me hold my hand under the table as he held onto my wrist. It was just spooky feeling the coin land in my hand all by itself. I miss the old guy.
I meant to post this sooner, but didn't have time before and just remembered today. My post earlier about David Roth's "Squash" routine is in fact Kaps' routine. Thanks Jonathan for informing me of this.

Joe
I will be releasing my new "Coins Thru Table" very soon. In all the years I have been doing coins thru, I have never received this kind of response. I am hearing, "Do that again" over and over. With the revolutionary new ending, I am getting gasps. Thanks to Jamie Schoolcraft and an idea by Bobby Schulgold this effect will stand alone. And it is not difficult to do. I will have three different routines that will give everyone options for all venues. It is so hard to find routines that can be done anywhere anytime. You can stand or sit. It will be on DVD with all the info. No lapping necessary. STAY TUNED.

Dean Dill
I like Paul Wilsons coin through from his book 13

Sean
Very good news about Dean's upcoming release. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

I hope we Todd L. clients will be able to perform it as well! :)

Best,

Mike
I always get the same reactions with mine, people say "do it again", I guess somebody already had the same kind of idea, so I have to publish it very quickly. It will be in the french magazine "l'Illusionniste", but I will translate it in English. If some of You are interrested, just let me know by Email, I'll let You now when he English version of the description is ready.
I submitted a couple of methods that were published in [i]Apocalypse[/i] long ago. The seem to stand the test of time IMHO. One uses a gaffed coin, the other just uses my bare (but naturally sticky) hands.
Cellini does sydinis version very, very well.....cellini spent a lot of time working with Slydini....the coins actually go through the table nine times I beleive.....he also does his one coin routine which was part of the coins through routine.....cellini is lecturing this fall on Slydini....starting in septeember....if your club is interested in hosting the cellin9i Slydini lecture...please contact me...

trust me...this is the closest thing to Slydini on this planet...TRUST ME!

should be a great lecture

koz
I have seen Dill do his new version and it KILLS... I will be seeing him today and... heheheh
I also have A handleing Where you place A glass under the table ( in your Lap) And keep both hands on top of the table. Then you push all 4 coins trough the table one at a time and you hear them fall into the glass! It's called Super tap and was in my 1978 book Called Coinjuring!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
I've learned a few coins thru table routines over the years, but they've always been replaced by some effects which I felt were better.

However, seeing Dean Dill perform his coins thru table at the Castle Swap Meet was truly a magical experience. If someone could REALLY push coins through tables, that's how it would look.
Yeah, he's o.k....but you should see him play guitar(pssst...dean..it's me)
Thanks Scott, Wa,Wa,Wa

Where are you?
I recently saw Michael Vincent perform an excellent version with a kicker ending.
Dean, please keep us posted on your new release. I'm looking forward to it.

I think Mike Close's coins through table is an excellent routine, also.
I forgot About some international Handleings and some backfire International handleings! Some in print some not!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
I do the one with a shell and shot glass that is mentioned in Bobo's. Also I find it handy to have my own table which can hold a coin and release it wen I need to.

McGroo
If you are working at home, it's amazing what you can do with a few coins held in places by threads you can pull or snap. Getting that kind of thing set up in real life is a bit tricky.
Try my "KNEET" in Tarbell 7... glass held between legs, coin on leg, drops into glass when needed by moving leg. Tomsoni uses it all the time and includes it (w/credit) in his lectures.
Out of interest - would any one recommend a coin through the table routine using a shell apart from the one in Tarbell?
[quote]
On 2005-02-27 06:55, El Mystico wrote:
Out of interest - would any one recommend a coin through the table routine using a shell apart from the one in Tarbell?
[/quote]Only together with a glass..
I think Milton Kort has a routine in Bobo's.
Troy Hooser's gimmicked version, and Johnny Ace Palmer's version are both excellent and very easy.....
Thanks, Werner - I actually meant Bobo - not sure why I typed Tarbell!
Thank you Joseph. I didn't know of these.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 27, 2005 10:15AM)
A routine of mine was published that uses a ] back in the 80s in Apocalypse magazine.
Dean Dill's version just kills. The best I have ever seen.
Is Dean Dills new coins thru table out yet? Where to find it?
[quote]
On 2004-05-04 04:14, Dean Dill wrote:
I will be releasing my new "Coins Thru Table" very soon. Thanks to Jamie Schoolcraft and an idea by Bobby Schulgold this effect will stand alone. And it is not difficult to do. STAY TUNED.
Dean Dill
[/quote]

Although I love your effects, I really hope this is not a $700 coin set thru the table.....lol ...Really looking forward for this.....
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 28, 2005 08:25AM)
Any of you who own Explosion have the mechanics for a wonderful coins through table routine there... and just need a little something for the last coin.
Hi Gang,
I had A 4 coins through A glass Table top Somewhere in the 20th. Year Of
Apocalypse! And I am working On some New Stand-up Handleings!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
http://www.coinjurer.com