(Close Window)
Topic: Cheap effects ($10-$30) you love ??? Please tell us!
In the forum "Tricks & Effects" there is an excellent thread called "Very Inexpensive tricks you Love?? Please tell us about". In that thread numerous great and cheap effects of around $5 were discussed: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=580212&forum=109&start=0

I would like to start this thread where you can post effects in the $10-$30 range that you love. The obvious reason being that effects can be quite expensive running at $100+ while there are cheap effects $10-$30 where you can get a lot of mileage out of. This is helpful to magicians looking to build their prop inventory or hobbyists who would like to buy some nice props but not spend a lot. I will start this off:

My favorites:
Candy Factory
Diminishing milk glasses
Comedy glass in paper
Sidewalk shuffle, Needle through balloon. I use these both a lot, and get much mileage from them.
Professor's Nightmare, coloring book...both are dirt cheap and are considered classics for a reason.
A TT I get a lot of milege with it.
Todd
[quote]On Jul 1, 2018, bowers wrote:
A TT I get a lot of milege with it.
Todd [/quote]

Thank you bowers, but this thread is for effects that cost $10+ but below $30. What would you add to the TT to get us above $10?

Personally, I like the TT with Rabbit and Hat Silk set: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10009
That would qualify for this thread as the silks are $10-20.

So if you could please add (as in my example above) or would like to contribute an additional effect you love (at $10+) then that would be great! Thank you.
C/S coin.
Sponge bunnies. Not only does it kill, I actually like performing it. It's fun watching the reactions.

Double Back
Meir Yedid's "Finger Fantasies" dvd. If I don't have coins or cards on me it allows me do perform something impromptu anytime. It always draws a nice reaction.
I love the rainbow ribbon and use Jeff McBride's presentation for it. A touching, motivating and memorable piece.
I always carry a "Wha The" by Rodger Lovins. Gets people up and moving no matter where you are.
There are many things available from the late Aldo Colombini that are 10 dollars. I recommend looking into these. Ring and rope routines, cards, etc. I frequently use Contact Colors and Jumbo Coincidence when performing.

Here's a link to Wild-Colombini Magic at Magic Shop San Diego: https://www.magicshopsandiego.com/collections/vendors?q=Wild-Colombini%20Magic

I'm sure you can also find them elsewhere.
The SVENPAD® of course - the #1 force in the world. I recommend the black minis.

The pads are a utility device - which means unlimited uses as opposed to a single effect.

Also how about "Mental Yarn" by Bill Goldman? A powerhouse.
@Theodore Lawton Colombini effects are definitely value for money! Great choice.

@saysold1 I haven't used a Svenpad, as I made my own similar effect based on the same principle before I even knew about the existence of Svenpads. But as I haven't used it I don't know if it's more powerful than my homemade one. I like my homemade ones because I show that I picked the pads from a local store and the audience sees the store brand. Mental Yarn is nice but works only in English. I think Chris Angel also did this effect on one of his kits. I saw some kids performing it on YouTube.
A super expansion of the basic boomerang optical illusion. I like Meir's handling.

https://www.mymagic.com/p/puzzles/tenyo-sakkaku-scale-puzzle
$10-$30 effects in the thread so far:

1) Candy Factory
2) Diminishing milk glasses
3) Comedy glass in paper
4) Sidewalk shuffle
5) Needle through balloon.
6) Professor's Nightmare
7) Coloring book
8) C/S coin
9) TT+
10) Sponge bunnies
11) Rainbow ribbon (Jeff McBride's presentation)
12) "Wha The" by Rodger Lovins
13) Aldo Colombini effects (several at $10)
14) Contact Colors
15) Jumbo Coincidence
16) SvenPad
17) Super expansion of the basic boomerang optical illusion (Meir’s handling)

Keep them coming, folks. Your favorites that cost $10-$30.
Brett beat me to it. Svenpads (official) are some of the best tools in magic for a steal of a price for their versatility. AS far as routines that are cheap and super fun and killer, look at Stand Up Monte. I use it in every strolling show and have for years since its release. Great routine. You could also buy a cheap strolling chop cup for around that range and that is a wonderful trick. Take a look at the don allen cups on the used market.
I forgot to include the title for the trick I suggested.

#17 is Tenyo Sakkaku Scale Puzzle
My go to trick at the lower end of this price range is Daryl’s Dicey Dots. It’s only $10. An overlooked gem of a trick.
I have to agree - Dicey Dots is fun to do. Anyone have one to sell? A friend has one and they are not available at retailers anymore

Ed
[quote]On Aug 17, 2018, egoli wrote:
I have to agree - Dicey Dots is fun to do. Anyone have one to sell? A friend has one and they are not available at retailers anymore

Ed [/quote]

Daryl.net. doesn't have em'?
Nope - I checked there already
Nope - I checked there already [/quote]

It’s here but pricey for what it is I think:

https://www.crazymagie.com/dicey-dots-daryl-xml-243_399-1420.html
I've never dealt with the Cuckoo's Nest magic shop, but they supposedly have them in stock. They are in Pittsburgh. :die:
Thanks for the leads. The Cuckoo's Nest retail store is closed but they are still taking phone orders. They are checking if they have one in stock and will phone me back.

Ed
[quote]On Aug 17, 2018, Theodore Lawton wrote:
I've never dealt with the Cuckoo's Nest magic shop, but they supposedly have them in stock. They are in Pittsburgh. :die: [/quote]

and that my friends is how this forum should work everytime! Boom! Mags helping Mags!
Magic Makers Gaff Deck (Packet Killer with Simon Lovell DVD) has some nice packet type effects.
Ed- Did you ever hear back from them?
They didn't have one in stock and the place in France wanted 42 Euros with the shipping. Way too much for a $10 trick. So I'm still looking.

Ed
The spot card. I've used it in my show for at least 30 years. It's amazingly versatile: I've come up with several different presentations to suit different age groups, kids to adults. And it packs flat. A good version sells for about $30 USD or $40 CAD:

http://magicstore.ca/?product=the-great-domino-illusion&v=3e8d115eb4b3

Todd
[quote]On Aug 30, 2018, todsky wrote:
The spot card. I've used it in my show for at least 30 years. It's amazingly versatile: I've come up with several different presentations to suit different age groups, kids to adults. And it packs flat. A good version sells for about $30 USD or $40 CAD:

http://magicstore.ca/?product=the-great-domino-illusion&v=3e8d115eb4b3

Todd [/quote]

Hes lookin' for Dicey Dots. 🙂
@Dollarbill todsky was simply adding to the topic discussion. As you know the topic is cheap effects between $10-30.

@todd nice suggestion. I forgot about that! I should use it at next party ;)
[quote]On Aug 30, 2018, Sophocles wrote:
@Dollarbill todsky was simply adding to the topic discussion. As you know the topic is cheap effects between $10-30.

@todd nice suggestion. I forgot about that! I should use it at next party ;) [/quote]

Ahhh! My bad, sorry! 👌
[quote]On Aug 22, 2018, Sophocles wrote:

Magic Makers Gaff Deck (Packet Killer with Simon Lovell DVD) has some nice packet type effects.

$10-$30 effects in the thread so far:
14) Contact Colors[/quote]
I also recommend Packet Killer - see my review here ([url=http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=10809]link[/url]).

Contact Colors is just one card trick - and a good one. But if you want to pick that up, I'd recommend instead getting the [url=https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=49550]Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks DVD[/url] from Big Blind Media ([url=https://bigblindmedia.com/products/ultimate-self-working-card-tricks-vol1-vol-2]link[/url]), which is also available as a digital download. It clocks in at exactly $30, and besides Colombini's great trick (Contact Colors) has 10 other fantastic self-workers. The routines by Simon Aronsen (Shufflebored) and Chad Long (Shuffling Lesson) are also outstanding.

Here's the complete list:
- Contact Colors (Aldo Colombini)
- Impossible (Mike Austin)
- Shuffling Lesson (Chad Long)
- Henry Sugar (Liam Montier)
- Pre-Prefiguration (Larry Jennings / Mark Elsdon)
- Your Aces Are Marked (Terry Lagerould)
- Shufflebored (Simon Aronson)
- The 7/16 Club (Alex Elmsley)
- Impossible (Larry Jennings)
- 4,5,6 (Al Thatcher)
- Unbelievable (By Shields, F. Michael And Bascom Jones, Jr)
[quote]On Jul 28, 2018, Sophocles wrote:
@Theodore Lawton Colombini effects are definitely value for money! Great choice.

@saysold1 I haven't used a Svenpad, as I made my own similar effect based on the same principle before I even knew about the existence of Svenpads. But as I haven't used it I don't know if it's more powerful than my homemade one. I like my homemade ones because I show that I picked the pads from a local store and the audience sees the store brand. Mental Yarn is nice but works only in English. I think Chris Angel also did this effect on one of his kits. I saw some kids performing it on YouTube. [/quote]

Only magicians spend a lot of time watching magic on youtube.
Hi John C,

Welcome to the thread. Would love to hear your recommendation on an effect.

Sophocles
$12 for Woody Aragon's Memorized Deck Set is a steal. You could make a name for yourself just through this. Heck, you could go through your whole life just on these alone. Takes work. Personally still working on it but worth the time.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/woody-aragon-memorized-deck-set/
John Bannon's Sizzle
Two people mentioned "Rainbow Ribbon" with Jeff McBride's handling. I've never heard of this. Where can I find it?

Thanks, Ted
Anyone like Destination Unknown?

Ed [/quote]

Dicey Dots is explained on Fooler Doolers vol. 2 DVD.
Richard Osterlind - Dynamo Deck
Unlimited by Banachek
Tarbell lectures at Penguin
SPONGE Starring Jay Noblezada (DVD + 4 Sponge Balls)
Starcle by Dan Harlan
I am crazy about AACAAN so I would recommend H.G. effect by Shawn Farquhar or Acaan by Asi Wind...
[quote]On Dec 26, 2018, kardistic wrote:
I am crazy about AACAAN so I would recommend H.G. effect by Shawn Farquhar or Acaan by Asi Wind... [/quote]

Asi Wind‘s ACAAN needs so much „prework“ but it‘s a true ACAAN and if you master it, there is no need to look further. Farquhar’s H.G. is also excellent! Effectwise I also like Brent Braun‘s Position Impossible.
During the holidays I started off 2 family parties with Turbo Stick. The reactions were a lot stronger than I expected. You can probably find the gimmick alone for under $10 (eBay) but with the routine/dvd at the 10-30 range.
A strong routine that ALWAYS gets strong reactions is Scratch Off by Chad Long. I always carry a extra sticker in my wallet just to do this.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3105
I do the one with the card.
For me the TT 'Beyond the basics" is still awesome.
You cannot BUY a TRICK.

TRICKS, somewhat like music, only exist while they are being PERFORMED.

An EFFECT cannot be BOUGHT either. An EFFECT is what the spectator perceives.

You need to read FITZKEE. --There are only nineteen EFFECTS.
Amen Dick!
Tell THAT to Sophocles and the other posters.

I already knew it!

One can't buy, or collect MAGIC, either. MAGIC only exists in the mind(s) of the spectator(s).

Until one UNDERSTANDS these basic concepts, one will ONLY be a guy who THINKS he is a MAGICIAN.
[quote]On Jan 2, 2019, Sophocles wrote:
During the holidays I started off 2 family parties with Turbo Stick. The reactions were a lot stronger than I expected. You can probably find the gimmick alone for under $10 (eBay) but with the routine/dvd at the 10-30 range.
A strong routine that ALWAYS gets strong reactions is Scratch Off by Chad Long. I always carry a extra sticker in my wallet just to do this.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3105
I do the one with the card. [/quote]

I use to kill with 4/ Fa-Ta-Stiks and also a couple hot rods. The thicker ones are easier to turn for me. 2 great tricks! hahahaa. (that was just for Dick and Bill😛🤣🤣)
Dollarbill, You trickster. I did ok with the hot rods until I broke my wrist in 2000 I think it was. And my range of motion never returned and I’m not andibextrius, amuideridus, ambidextrous... whatever...lol.
The Classic Brass Coin Casket from my brother's magic web store 29.95, it was an overnight sensation and actually what amazed me about it is not a single negative comment on it in the Latest & Greatest.

https://airshipmagic.com/store/home/65-classic-brass-coin-prediction-casket.html

Jake Jr.
Good effect, the Brass Coinn Casket. For those who aren't aware of it, check the referred to thread on Latest and Greatest. It can be used equally well by either a magician or a mentalist.
Buddha Papers. Well under Five Dollars. Supprisingly entertaining.
Kim
[quote]On Feb 6, 2019, kimwizard wrote:
Kim [/quote]

I think this has been mentioned. No doubt tho. It is a great effect. 🙂
[quote]On Feb 6, 2019, Dollarbill wrote:
Kim [/quote]

I think this has been mentioned. No doubt tho. It is a great effect. 🙂 [/quote]

Indeed. Any ideas beyond the make a coin/note disappear and appear for Buddha Papers?
[quote]On Feb 7, 2019, Sophocles wrote:
[quote]On Feb 6, 2019, Dollarbill wrote:
Kim [/quote]

I think this has been mentioned. No doubt tho. It is a great effect. 🙂 [/quote]

Indeed. Any ideas beyond the make a coin/note disappear and appear for Buddha Papers? [/quote]

Herbs/spices.
Feathers
Speeding tickets
Keys
Biz card

:lol: :lol:
Sorry I was thinking routinewise
[quote]On Feb 7, 2019, Sophocles wrote:
Sorry I was thinking routinewise [/quote]

Sorry, I don't have a routine:
I used it on my kids and they couldn't figure it out when they were young, young - AND I let them turn it over and make the magic happen. 🙂 miss those says...
Message: Posted by: A Magic Cafe User (Feb 23, 2019 02:07PM)
A Svengali deck is only about $15 and works well for beginners. I still use it as a go-to trick if I have the deck on hand. Literally, hundreds of tricks can be done with this deck, So I think it is well worth the money.
[quote]On Jan 27, 2019, Mad Jake wrote:
The Classic Brass Coin Casket from my brother's magic web store 29.95, it was an overnight sensation and actually what amazed me about it is not a single negative comment on it in the Latest & Greatest.

https://airshipmagic.com/store/home/65-classic-brass-coin-prediction-casket.html

Jake Jr. [/quote]

A very good effect so many possibilitys.
B'wave.
[quote]On Feb 26, 2019, Terrible Wizard wrote:
B'wave. [/quote]

Also a very good effect if presented right.
The Web by Jim Pace
I didn't notice it posted here but POWERBALL 60! Just fantastic!! Now, obviously like most good magic/mentalsim the effect is only as good as the presentation. But the method with this is not difficult allowing you to focus on your presentation.

RNK
[quote]On Dec 11, 2018, aligator wrote:
Anyone like Destination Unknown? [/quote]

Just received Destination Unknown and performed it several times today - love it. Easy to dio and totally baffling for spectators. The version that I received from Penguin is the latest version (2.0) and it uses the double code which adds another layer of deception.

eD
[quote]On May 2, 2019, egoli wrote:
[quote]On Dec 11, 2018, aligator wrote:
Anyone like Destination Unknown? [/quote]

Just received Destination Unknown and performed it several times today - love it. Easy to dio and totally baffling for spectators. The version that I received from Penguin is the latest version (2.0) and it uses the double code which adds another layer of deception.

eD [/quote]

I heard that Powerball 60 was great. I bought a copy and the silver scratch off material didn’t want to scratch off and the numbers scratched off on a couple of cards. I had another one sent with the same issue. So for me unfortunately it was $24.95 + shipping down the drain.
Powerball 60 is fantastic. I also received a defective one originally and was sent a replacement which was perfect. Maybe request another replacement

Ed
Vernet levitator TT, that was the first magic prop I bought! One of the greatest levitations ever invented!😉
For this money, you can buy yourself a small Svenpad to try out. You will not be disappointed! Of course, once you realize the potential of this remarkable device, you will be spending more money on additional Sven products (and your act will become crazy good)!