(Close Window)
Topic: Long Pour Salt
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Apr 29, 2004 07:37PM)
What is your favorite long pour salt gimmick (currently available) for stage use?
As none are currently available, it has to be the ear syringe. I liked the hollow toy ball but the ear syringe can be adapted the same way. Uses a Hank Ball loop idea, clear nylon line tied on each side of the opening.

Published in the book 'Isn't that good!' by the late Johnny Brown and 'Texan Trixter' by John Moehring of Ed Sullivan show fame.

Jame Riser is not making his version and the late Danny Dew's has not been available for years. Pressley Guitar has left the manufacturing of appratus. These last 2 were Aluminum and brass respectively.

The Repo idea is good but the toy ball is too large for most hands.

Magic Inc, chicago may still be selling Dr. Zodiac's Long Salt Pour that uses a similar idea to the TT only very flexable.

Faucett Ross used a TT in the book magic with Faucett Ross by Lewis Ganson.

Well that covers all I know about and could find.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Apr 29, 2004 08:42PM)
Thanks. I actually have a Pressley Guitar Gimmick that I've used for 20 years (the large one.)
Lou
Pressley Guitar only made one size that I know of. It could have been an unadvertised one, though. He made alot of stuff never advertised.

I have 2 Danny Dew models, Large and Small. Sold the Guitar model to a Café member.

I will say Guitar's routine was very well thought out, you actually received a complete trick.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Apr 29, 2004 09:44PM)
I may be wrong. Maybe it was the large Danny Dew model.
Lou
Yes, with the Fred Kaps DVD out, I am sure many will be looking for this gimmick. I get an ovation every time I perform it.

Guitar model was solid brass and baked on paint. Turned from a solid bar of brass.

Danny Dews was made of spun aluminum, with a very poor brushed on paint with the strokes showing.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Apr 29, 2004 11:40PM)
Mine was the Danny Dews. After all of the paint flaked off I covered it with flesh colored ban-aids. This was a trick I learned from a Vito Lupo lecture years ago. Works great!
Ive used Craig Dicksons Routine for a year now and love it. I bought two of his own hand made gimmicks that are really nice. Im sure he can make some more if you ask real nicely. They were only like 5 dollars. I believe they are the ear syringe type but with some nice modifications for easy steals. His entire routine is in his lecture notes Entitled "For The Entertainer II" Here is the link:

http://www.wizardcraft.com/new.htm

Instead of having to scroll down the whole page to find it, hold "ctrl" and hit "f" then type the word "Entertainer" and hit enter.
As my fine flesh colored model of unknown origin finally banished into the magic junk drawer, I used an actual hand sized salt shaker...the finger hole was exactly perfect and it has worked perfectly ever since. So if I paint salt shakers to custom flesh tones...we got ourselves a new product!

-*Hi!
Whatever works for you, as we all know it is not the gimmick, but the presentation to the audience.
James Riser's gimmickes become available from time to time. There is a fellow who makes a large gimmick out of plastic. His name is John Rivera. He lives in San Antonio.

The gimmicks are a bit light, but they hold a lot. One of the Ross Bertram books has a lot of info on the trick.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (May 2, 2004 10:56PM)
Thanks. I own one of the plastic John Rivera models. It is very easy to manipulate. The Danny Dew model that I had held more salt, as does the James Riser model.
With the work load of James P. Riser, I doubt if any will be available. He has all those cup orders on the workbench and his Holdout is waiting to be made. I personally do not like the Riser gimmick; the shape is like a Genii bottle.

I heard of this plastic Rivera model many years ago. Does he have a site or way to purchase his model or see the design?

To be complete, Magic Methods used to make a Salt Pour gimmick. Different then most. Sort of a pill vial with a rotating disk on the bottom that has a hole in it to release the salt. Never owned it, but I guess it would work. I checked their site; it is not listed any longer.
FYI - to those interested:
As anounced on my web site, I am currently spinning a short run of my Ultimate Salt Gimmick.

wmhegbli, the shape is termed ergonomic. :)

Jim
Wow! That is great Mr. Riser. I am sure they will be gone very fast.

I did check your site but only noticed the sold out comment.

Go to:

http://www.jamesriser.com

For a ergonomic Long Salt Pour gimmick get the James P. Riser model. It will do the job of this Classic routine.
About 1949/50 I saw Virgil do a salt/sand pour that I'd love to know more about. It was from a cannister and it was certainly a VERY long pour. As I recall it was done 'in one' and may have been simply the finale' to some other effect (Hindu Sands?). Any old timers or collectors know what it may have been? I remember it as being about 2 1/2" x 8" (give or take 25%). I believe an assistant (Julie) held a tray to catch the salt/sand.
Virgil was doing the sand canisters. Originally sold by Abbott's, Lloyd's and others, I think only Owen's still makes them. It is not that expensive for what you get but it is little messy to perform.

Blackstone Sr. also featured this trick.

I have used the Presley Guitar gimmick for years. It is good and holds more than enough salt for my needs. I always put a drop cloth down before I perform the routine to catch the salt.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (May 24, 2004 09:41PM)
Instead of putting a drop cloth down, I use an opaque bowl to pour the salt into. In the bowl I have a clip that holds a Kabuki streamer. I reach in, mime grabbing a handful of salt (actually I'm holding the Kabuki streamer now), and toss the salt (streamer) into the audience. There is almost always a gasp or scream from a lady or two because they think that they are about to be showered with salt. The Kabuki streamer is a strong end to the salt pour.
Lou Leventhal
I wish I was more accurate to hit a bowl. The streamer gives a nice ending to the routine.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (May 26, 2004 09:27PM)
You're not aiming for the floor. The bowl is on a simple side table and is waist high. I also use a black silk (part of the manipulation routine) as a dark backdrop. This helps the salt show up from a much greater distance, regardless of my backdrop.
Lou
I use a black vest to help show up the salt but I just did to the floor to allow a longer visual of the salt pouring. The silk would serve a similar purpose and would fit into your manipulation nicely.

I also recall something that Howard Hale wrote up about 10 years ago using two hollow rubber balls with an x cut in them.
Lou, the Kabuki ending is very pretty. Bravo! Do you mind if I file that away under "things to do if the right moment comes along?"

I would suggest that it would be worth the slight loss in load space to build the streamer right into the gimmick. Makes ending clean pretty simple. The shorter kabuki streamers are pretty small, and should work well here.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (May 31, 2004 09:49AM)
Hi Curtis,
First of all, I deeply appreciate your asking about using the Kabuki streamer ending. It's always nice when people ask! Of course you can use that idea. I am thinking of releasing my whole salt pour routine someday.
I would not include the streamer on the gimmick for multiple reasons:
1) Diminishes the salt load capacity. The longer the pour, the more dramatic the impact.
2) The Kabuki streamer might flash. It's white and will reflect stage light.
3) The streamer might open prematurely. This has happened in the opaque bowl. If that does happen, you can either choose not to use it, or palm the opened packet.
I agree with earlier posts about using a quality streamer. The Viking streamers work very well.
Lou
I have a giant metal flesh colored cup with a amall opening at the top. it will pour for a good 2 minutes. another idea is to use non lubricated condoms.
What is the best method for bringing the gimmick into play?

I've fiddled with attention direction, hold outs etc but I'm just not happy with any of them
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Jan 18, 2005 07:48PM)
Steal the gimmick from a pocket, or when you pick up the salt shaker or box of salt. You can also hang it from a clip under your coat.
Lou
Direction of light will help... side, strong.
I'm combing it with Phill Cass' great beer transpo. (with salt instead of beer). Two empty hands....salt goes in one hand and comes out the other! Emptying out the salt would make great cover for stealing the gimmick.