(Close Window)
Topic: Strange Thoughts...
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Aug 8, 2018 06:22PM)
Feel free to share your strange thoughts on this thread.

[b]My Strange Thought:[/b] [i] How big would cats (house cats) need to be before they tried to eat us?[/i]

I mean, you could trust a dog as they demonstrate love and loyalty but cats seem only to tolerate us as bringers of food. I'm not talking about tigers or lions, though for the sake of this ST they could get to that size but I don't correlate tigers/lions to large house cats.

Their natural instinct to pounce and swat would become an issue as they grow larger - though I suspect they would play with us a bit (for entertainment purposes) before eating half of us and leave our remnants on the floor...
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Aug 8, 2018 09:07PM)
[b] Strange Thought #2: [/b] [i]If a world wide virus disabled our taste buds would we eat healthier?[/i]

If you can't taste the salty goodness of potato chips, the rich creamy taste of chocolate, or the endless variety of tasty beverages; would you be content with drinking water and eating healthy foods?

Or would food texture replace taste?
Message: Posted by: TomBoleware (Aug 9, 2018 11:46AM)
We all know that the healthier foods don’t taste as good. So yes if we had no taste I could eat broccoli.:)

Tom
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Aug 12, 2018 07:38PM)
[quote]On Aug 8, 2018, Mike Gainor wrote:
Feel free to share your strange thoughts on this thread.

[b]My Strange Thought:[/b] [i] How big would cats (house cats) need to be before they tried to eat us?[/i]

I mean, you could trust a dog as they demonstrate love and loyalty but cats seem only to tolerate us as bringers of food. I'm not talking about tigers or lions, though for the sake of this ST they could get to that size but I don't correlate tigers/lions to large house cats.

Their natural instinct to pounce and swat would become an issue as they grow larger - though I suspect they would play with us a bit (for entertainment purposes) before eating half of us and leave our remnants on the floor... [/quote]
I would say probably when they got just a bit larger than a pitbull.
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Aug 29, 2018 12:41PM)
[b]Strange Thought #3:[/b] If sex stopped being pleasurable, would the human race die out?
Message: Posted by: 0pus (Aug 29, 2018 03:41PM)
It's a funny thing about pleasure.

It can be quite...

PLEASURABLE!

- Bruce
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Aug 29, 2018 03:44PM)
True, but if you take out the pleasure principle isn't it just as much fun as doing push ups?
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Aug 29, 2018 03:51PM)
#1 There is a stray feral (true feral) cat with kittens that appeared one day. She hissed and spit (never saw a cat spit before) each time I passed. I thought how big would she need to be to bring me down and feed her kittens.

Even a domesticated cat seems to only tolerate their owners (as long as they feed them). I think old cat ladies will end up being eaten by their cats.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Aug 29, 2018 11:10PM)
[quote]On Aug 29, 2018, Mike Gainor wrote:
[b]Strange Thought #3:[/b] If sex stopped being pleasurable, would the human race die out? [/quote]
No. Many many children are conceived in test tubes.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Aug 29, 2018 11:13PM)
[quote]On Aug 29, 2018, Mike Gainor wrote:
#1 There is a stray feral (true feral) cat with kittens that appeared one day. She hissed and spit (never saw a cat spit before) each time I passed. I thought how big would she need to be to bring me down and feed her kittens.

Even a domesticated cat seems to only tolerate their owners (as long as they feed them). I think old cat ladies will end up being eaten by their cats. [/quote]
Domestic cats can be very affectionate.
Dogs will eat their owners as well on occasion.
Message: Posted by: 0pus (Aug 30, 2018 09:49AM)
I think Mike is just not a cat person.
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Aug 30, 2018 12:21PM)
[quote]On Aug 29, 2018, magicfish wrote:

Domestic cats can be very affectionate.
Dogs will eat their owners as well on occasion. [/quote]

Yeah... but I think they are plotting evil thoughts while doing so :)

[quote]On Aug 30, 2018, 0pus wrote:
I think Mike is just not a cat person. [/quote]

Cats are fine, but if they were people I wouldn't trust them to hold my wallet.
Message: Posted by: Senor Fabuloso (Sep 1, 2018 12:31PM)
[quote]On Aug 29, 2018, Mike Gainor wrote:
[b]Strange Thought #3:[/b] If sex stopped being pleasurable, would the human race die out? [/quote]

Is sex suppose to be pleasurable? I knew I was doing something wrong.
Message: Posted by: MagicBus (Sep 2, 2018 04:33AM)
The reason frogs are so happy is they eat what bugs them.
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Sep 9, 2018 04:28PM)
[b]Strange Thought #3: [/b] If you had super powers (IE: Superman) where you were extremely strong, 99% invulnerable, fast, and could fly would you be a hero or a villain? Meaning, would you serve the common good or serve your own self interest. I believe the more you think about it the greyer that line becomes. Do you serve humanity and follow their rules... or... do you change the world because now you have the potential to change it? Could you handle that much power?

Yeah... I'd be villain...
Message: Posted by: Senor Fabuloso (Sep 19, 2018 07:51AM)
Strange Thought #3 while hypothetical asks the real question about mans true nature. Are we deep down inside good or bad. If I were to be totally honest I would have to say bad. It just seems so natural and easy to be bad. Goodness takes work. I have also seen how people behave when consequences are removed from life's morays. The tendency is to become animalistic, satisfying selfish wants at the expense of others. Most often it takes those who would keep order to coral the evil into behaving. So perhaps I'd like to think myself a due gooder but would not "absolute power corrupt absolutely? My moral compass is strong but I'm not sure I could holdout in a society gone bad?
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Sep 19, 2018 11:37PM)
[quote]On Sep 19, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I have also seen how people behave when consequences are removed from life's morays.[/quote]
Personally, I think it's probably better to be bad when surrounded by eels. Especially big, hungry ones.
Message: Posted by: 0pus (Sep 20, 2018 10:05AM)
You just swung for the softball. I was waiting for something on the coral or the due.
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Oct 22, 2018 02:51PM)
Strange Thought #4

If you are what you eat, what would you look like?

[b]"Hey Jill, you're looking great!"[/b]
[i]"Thanks! I just got back from my stylist, do you like it"[/i]
[b] Spaghetti is a great look for you, how ever did they get that much lift?"[/b]
[i]Oh I went with Angel hair and requested al dente, thanks for noticing!'[/i]
Message: Posted by: Mr Salk (Oct 22, 2018 04:27PM)
[quote]On Aug 8, 2018, Mike Gainor wrote:
Feel free to share your strange thoughts on this thread.

[b]My Strange Thought:[/b] [i] How big would cats (house cats) need to be before they tried to eat us?[/i]

I mean, you could trust a dog as they demonstrate love and loyalty but cats seem only to tolerate us as bringers of food. I'm not talking about tigers or lions, though for the sake of this ST they could get to that size but I don't correlate tigers/lions to large house cats.

Their natural instinct to pounce and swat would become an issue as they grow larger - though I suspect they would play with us a bit (for entertainment purposes) before eating half of us and leave our remnants on the floor... [/quote]

I've seen this comedy routine and it is hack. Cats don't eat babies or sleeping tots. House Cats, like horses, are domesticated and don't generally harm humans regardless of size.
If we were the size of mice we would have been unable to domestic them in the first place.
Message: Posted by: imgic (Oct 22, 2018 11:21PM)
[quote]On Oct 22, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:
[quote]On Aug 8, 2018, Mike Gainor wrote:
Feel free to share your strange thoughts on this thread.

[b]My Strange Thought:[/b] [i] How big would cats (house cats) need to be before they tried to eat us?[/i]

I mean, you could trust a dog as they demonstrate love and loyalty but cats seem only to tolerate us as bringers of food. I'm not talking about tigers or lions, though for the sake of this ST they could get to that size but I don't correlate tigers/lions to large house cats.

Their natural instinct to pounce and swat would become an issue as they grow larger - though I suspect they would play with us a bit (for entertainment purposes) before eating half of us and leave our remnants on the floor... [/quote]

I've seen this comedy routine and it is hack. Cats don't eat babies or sleeping tots. House Cats, like horses, are domesticated and don't generally harm humans regardless of size.
If we were the size of mice we would have been unable to domestic them in the first place. [/quote]

When younger we had a cat that constantly hid...we never saw the thing. So my mother gave it away to a couple she knew. One night the husband woke up to find the cat on top of him biting his neck...enough to draw blood. He flung the cat across the room. The cat bounced off the wall and ran out of the room. They closed the door, and the next day it went to the pound.
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Jan 27, 2019 07:25PM)
Strange Thought #5

If there were ongoing solar flares which causes a world wide EMP (knocking out the grid,internet,and e-commerce) for the next 5 years(flares subside). What would you do?

So no credit cards, no access to the ATM, a car that wont start (unless it is really old), clogged highways, no phones, TV, or radio.

That 50 mile commute to work makes for a long walk home.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jan 30, 2019 10:20AM)
[quote]On Jan 27, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
Strange Thought #5

If there were ongoing solar flares which causes a world wide EMP (knocking out the grid,internet,and e-commerce) for the next 5 years(flares subside). What would you do?

So no credit cards, no access to the ATM, a car that wont start (unless it is really old), clogged highways, no phones, TV, or radio.

That 50 mile commute to work makes for a long walk home. [/quote]

There’s a story called “The Waveries,” which I found in a book called; “Invaders of Earth.” The Waveries are electrical creatures that eat electrical fields. Once they get here, anything requiring electricity simply stops working! Man is forced into an 18th Century lifestyle!
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Jan 30, 2019 12:02PM)
[quote]On Jan 30, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
There’s a story called “The Waveries,” which I found in a book called; “Invaders of Earth.” The Waveries are electrical creatures that eat electrical fields. Once they get here, anything requiring electricity simply stops working! Man is forced into an 18th Century lifestyle! [/quote]

I read a book called "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen, which has a similar situation I stated before. I didn't care much for the story due to the dispelled belief required with shaky science, and the perspective of someone who was at home, had the resources, and preexisting authority. A little to much of being led by the nose for my taste.

Disasters rarely come at convenient times or locations. Since I work outside the country a lot I had a [i]'Strange Thoughts' [/i] of what would I do? Not able to call anyone and being separated by thousands of miles(and an ocean) would make it very difficult to say the least. Also, at the same time all of the other foreign nationals attempting to do the same while civilization slowly falls apart.

So, even my original example of being 50 miles from your home would prove a challenge as well. The nature of humanity being what it is what kind of short term / long term plans would you make?
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jan 30, 2019 01:57PM)
Asimov mentioned that he didn’t care for “The Waveries,” because it glossed over the obvious upheaval and devastation caused by removing electricity en made like that.
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Jan 30, 2019 02:19PM)
It is more true now than in the past. Just look how dependent people are with their smartphones. Most people don't even keep a vegetable garden anymore.

Communities are not as cohesive as they once were as well. Very few know the names of their neighbors or share any community trust.

No news may be good news may have been true in the good old days but no information today leads to speculation... all of it bad.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jan 30, 2019 04:09PM)
I think “The Waveries” was written in the forties, the hero is a jingle writer for a radio station and there’s no reference to television. You’re right, today, the world would burn!
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Jan 30, 2019 04:20PM)
That's interesting. In the 1940's losing electricity would not be such a huge fall for civilization.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jan 30, 2019 10:52PM)
January, 1945.

Here’s the entire thing;

http://www.you-books.com/book/F-Brown/The-Waveries
Message: Posted by: Roberto Juan (Jan 31, 2019 10:17AM)
[quote]On Jan 30, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:

It is more true now than in the past. Just look how dependent people are with their smartphones. Most people don't even keep a vegetable garden anymore.

Communities are not as cohesive as they once were as well. Very few know the names of their neighbors or share any community trust.

No news may be good news may have been true in the good old days but no information today leads to speculation... all of it bad. [/quote]

Good points. Consider how much more time people spend looking at a screen than interacting with other humans.

There are significant mental health repercussions for this. We evolved to depend on face-to-face social interaction and relationships.

I observe I'm now very reluctant to call friends and family to talk because I don't want to interrupt them - because they are so "busy"
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Jan 31, 2019 01:19PM)
[quote]On Jan 30, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
January, 1945.

Here’s the entire thing;

http://www.you-books.com/book/F-Brown/The-Waveries [/quote]

Thanks for the link. Interesting read (short story for those of you who may wish to check it out)

It was written in the 1940's (1945) and has that Guy's and Doll's feel about it. The real interesting thing is that it was being written about the future (1977), but people were still Guy's and Doll's. You see this in a lot of future stories. Lots of new technology, but basically the same speech patterns we use 'today'.

Makes me think back on [b]Back to the Future[/b] with their prediction of life 30 years later. Where's my self drying suit?

The only thing I didn't like about the story is that we (as humans) took it on the chin from the 'vaders, rolled over an embraced our new and improved (old) lifestyle. Points for the Government taking control of essential resources but I don't see that flying today.
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Jan 31, 2019 01:25PM)
[quote]On Jan 31, 2019, Roberto Juan wrote:
Good points. Consider how much more time people spend looking at a screen than interacting with other humans.

There are significant mental health repercussions for this. We evolved to depend on face-to-face social interaction and relationships.

I observe I'm now very reluctant to call friends and family to talk because I don't want to interrupt them - because they are so "busy" [/quote]

... and parents continue to buy them for their (young) kids. I guess it counts as quality time.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Feb 1, 2019 08:05AM)
[quote]On Jan 31, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
[quote]On Jan 30, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
January, 1945.

Here’s the entire thing;

http://www.you-books.com/book/F-Brown/The-Waveries [/quote]

Thanks for the link. Interesting read (short story for those of you who may wish to check it out)

It was written in the 1940's (1945) and has that Guy's and Doll's feel about it. The real interesting thing is that it was being written about the future (1977), but people were still Guy's and Doll's. You see this in a lot of future stories. Lots of new technology, but basically the same speech patterns we use 'today'.

Makes me think back on [b]Back to the Future[/b] with their prediction of life 30 years later. Where's my self drying suit?

The only thing I didn't like about the story is that we (as humans) took it on the chin from the 'vaders, rolled over an embraced our new and improved (old) lifestyle. Points for the Government taking control of essential resources but I don't see that flying today. [/quote]

I agree with you on the response to the invasion. I believe there’d be a lot more pain and suffering and not more than one farmer maybe not so willing to just turn over his horses “for the effort!”

I have my own fan theory on “Back To The Future.” The reason we don’t have the 2015 shown in the 2nd movie is specifically because Marty avoided the accident! In some “butterfly wings” way, Marty’s accident led technological advances to the future we then see.
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Feb 2, 2019 04:46PM)
Strange Thoughts #6: If you Pre-Order something that will most likely disappoint you and you end up being disappointed; am I allowed to make fun of you?

I never understood the attraction of pre-orders. Especially of an unknown.

Exception apply; such as books of a author with good records, but any unvetted items is too far akin to a jam auction.

Would a truth in advertising require the sales pitch to read:
[i]"Pre-order for your junk drawer while supplies last!"[/i] ?