(Close Window)
Topic: How hard does Scotch and Soda "hit"?
What kind of reactions does your Scotch and Soda performance typically get? Where do you place it in your routine? Have you found the half dollar/centavo combo to work well or do you use another combination? If the gaff was more versatile, I wouldn't have too much trouble buying it. But for similar effects other than the typical performance you could use the S&S set for, I would just use a [ or similar gaff. If all S&S gets are "oh okay cool" reactions, I'm not going to drop $30 or so on it. Maybe my thinking is limited, though. :kite:
It gets powerful reactions, but I haven't done it in a long time because it requires a reset.

For a formal close up show you could easily fit it into a routine, but I choose not to do it for table hopping or walk around; it's too impractical.

I prefer C/S/B
I agree with Theo here, S&S is a classic for a reason...it's darn good trick. :D But the reset action has always been a bit of a draw back for some, and that's why they came up with a magnetic version, and even that has some issues to consider as to it.

Luckily there are many good closeup tricks like this that play very well, like Jay Sankey's "Holy Moly" though not exactly a coin trick, it has the same feel and look to it but just using washers. A clever trick that amazes people, just like his "Killer Key" effect that despite the name, does use an actual coin in it. :D

And there are many other wonderful ones, a NEW one you really should look into is "F I T," now that's a good walk-around close up coin trick that amazes people. Easy to do, very interactive, but comes across as just impossible! ;)

Good journey to you. :)
Thanks for the suggestions Mb. I'll look into F I T myself.
F I T seems pretty cool. Although if I'm guessing the effect right, I'd kind of have a hard time buying it considering what you actually get. Then again, S&S is $30-some dollars. The fact that it happens in the spectator's hands is what attracts me most to S&S. Plus it is mostly fool-proof.
Come up with a routine that uses the scotch and soda gimmicks but isn't the standard routine. Think outside the box... Also take a look at Don Alan's routine with Scotch and Soda.
^ What I'm currently musing is doing a routine with half dollars and then bring out the S&S set. That way the audience is already used to the half dollar and hopefully they will blend seamlessly.
I believe Bill Palmer shared a scotch and soda routine that doesn't use a gimmick. It's fairly easy with practice. I don't have access to the notes at this time-everything is packed up to move. Maybe ask him about it.
The good Dr Michael Rubinstein and other have shared S&S CSB and other style effect with out the gimmicks. Also, and this is coming from over twenty years of working, a killer effect will fall short with out the right presentation.
[quote]On Sep 15, 2018, Theodore Lawton wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions Mb. I'll look into F I T myself. [/quote]

[quote]On Sep 15, 2018, will lane wrote:
F I T seems pretty cool. Although if I'm guessing the effect right, I'd kind of have a hard time buying it considering what you actually get. Then again, S&S is $30-some dollars. The fact that it happens in the spectator's hands is what attracts me most to S&S. Plus it is mostly fool-proof. [/quote]

You'll love F I T Theo, looks amazing and pretty simple to do, too. :D

And will lane, you're right, S&S costs more. ;) And y'know, I like the trade-off of F I T not being done in the specs hands, for the fact that it is done all out in the open and not the usual behind-the-back bit as to S&S. Just the same, one trick is old, the other is new, both are fun & good to perform. :)

Did F I T a couple of times today and left them scratching their heads... :D
I will say that although I haven't performed S&S in some time, it does get killer reactions, and a lot has to do with the fact that it happens in the spectator's hand. Yes the one drawback is the reset but even with that it's worth the $30 investment for something you'll perform for years. Just my 2 centavos-
Totally agree with GlennLawrence. All valid points. There is a reason masterpieces become masterpieces & stay popular.
I completly agree with Glennlawrence and Inert. S&S can fry people. Table to table would be a problem. Still it is a KILLER effect/ trick. will have to take a look at FIT just cause MB said so. 😛😀😀👍🤘.
So Ken Simmons Had 3 softbound Half size Books On S&S. I had a routine in no. 2. :)
Might want to consider Captain and Coke 2.0 for a version that can be done in the specs hand yet resets very easily.
[quote]On Sep 19, 2018, videoman wrote:
Might want to consider Captain and Coke 2.0 for a version that can be done in the specs hand yet resets very easily. [/quote]

I second that. Captain and Coke 2.0 is very good.
Strange I read the reviews over at penguin magic regards Captain and Coke 2.0 and they wasn't very good.
Oooh, Captain and Coke 2.0 looks very interesting. How well does the gimmick stay together and how does it look to a spectator? The biggest thing about S&S is that, hopefully, the gimmick is impossible to figure out as the spectator themselves holds it. I don't want to have to perform a switch to hand out the coins.
I don't have Captain and Coke 2.0, but from reading the reviews on Penguin, I know wouldn't hand out the gimmick for close inspection. Also you need to be very good at spectator control if you are working it in their hands. You probably should switch the gimmick out if handing it out afterwards.

If you already own a good Scotch & Soda, then I would stick with it. I have a Johnson Scotch & Soda that is probably 14 years old and works as good today as it did the day I bought it.
I've used both. I would tend to agree that if you are going to hand out the coins for inspection, I'd stick with Scotch and Soda.

As far as the original question "How hard does it hit?" I remember the first time I saw it and I was blown away! I've used it for over 20 years and have received amazing reactions.

Dave
Just a quick comparison of Captain and Coke 2.0 and the standard Scotch and Soda gaffs.
They each have their strengths and weaknesses. As with many things you may have to sacrifice one thing in order to gain something else.
IMO, the negative reviews of C&C are from people wanting to "have it all".

Advantages of C&C:
The gimmick can be reset very quickly and silently, practically right in front of your spectator.
It uses common coins (a quarter and a penny) rather than coins most people have never seen.
Because of the ease of reset, you can easily carry this on you without it having to be pre-set and then have it ready to go in an instant.
You don't need to "squeeze" the gaff together in order to lock it.

Advantages of S&S:
The gaff can be examined closely without a switch.
It uses unusual coins since most younger folks have probably never seen a half dollar much. This can be an advantage if you wish to make it part of your presentation.

S&S gaff is held together by friction. This means you need a bang ring to separate them. The advantage to this is that it can usually (depending on the quality) be examined quite closely.

But for me C&C has the advantage due to the ease of set up and carrying with you. I also prefer the more "normal" coins used.
But because of the way it's made it can't be examined very closely, BUT because of the way you use it it doesn't need to be. Many beginners just compare the looks of the gaffs as they come out of the package and do not take into consideration how they are typically used.

With C&C you don't need to squeeze the gaff. This may sound like a small point but it is the most common mistake people make when performing this routine with a S&S gaff. They don't try and mask the squeeze. Once the coins are in the specs hands behind their back you ask them (as part of the usual test of their tactile abilities) if they can determine by feel alone which coin is the quarter, and then you ask them to hand it to you. The quality of the gaff is not that important as they only get a glimpse of it going into your hand and you can immediately turn it good side up if need be. No heat is on it at this point as you haven't even done anything yet in their mind. Now all their attention is on what they believe to be the penny, you have all the time in the world to switch the quarter. They then bring out the dime and you hand them back the matching quarter.

True, it is an advantage with S&S that they never have to let go of the first coin but for me (just my opinion) the switch is so easy and so undetected that the other advantages of C&C far outweigh this one advantage of S&S.

Anyway, I took the time to explain all this so people who see the negative reviews of C&C might take them with a grain of salt.
Now the bad news, C&C has been out of stock everywhere for a long time and is not available anymore, unless you find a private party willing to sell you their copy.

But just for the record I thought these points should be mentioned. And C&C will probably be re-released (C&C 3.0?) by someone at some point in the future but no telling when that will be.
Can anyone recommend a well-made version of S&S that could safely be examined by a spectator? There are several threads about this, but none are very recent. I'm curious to hear the experience of people who bought the trick recently, since the quality of companies' products change over time.

Thanks,

Bob
Hey BG, I would think the S&S from Johnson's would be more than good enough for what you use it for. Their products stand the test of time and are always well made for a great price. Think this is about $30 bucks on their website. It's all you need, if it's something you just have to have, as most magicians have at one time or another along the journey. :)
[quote]On Jan 12, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Can anyone recommend a well-made version of S&S that could safely be examined by a spectator? There are several threads about this, but none are very recent. I'm curious to hear the experience of people who bought the trick recently, since the quality of companies' products change over time.

Thanks,

Bob [/quote]I actually did end up buying S&S from Johnson, and as Mb said, it is a great set. When I saw the coins nested for the first time, I thought "no way..." It looks perfect. They could look at the coin all day and not figure it out. The only way the spec could ever notice anything is if they had a real half dollar for comparison and the coins were tapped against each other. The centavo lost its shine kind of quick but that is not a big deal.
Much appreciated, Mb and Will. Real centavos lose their shine too, so I guess that's a convincer. :)

Bob
PM'd you Bob. WillLane if you're using a coin holder it is probably the reason for the color change.
[quote]On Sep 16, 2018, Theodore Lawton wrote:
I believe Bill Palmer shared a scotch and soda routine that doesn't use a gimmick. It's fairly easy with practice. I don't have access to the notes at this time-everything is packed up to move. Maybe ask him about it. [/quote]

It is worth studying/mastering this approach whether you prefer the gaff or not. The "power" of SS comes from timing and audience engagement as much as the surprise/astonishment.

Personally, I never do SS unless it is part of a larger routine with other uses of those coins. I never like it when a performer pulls out two strange coins, does a trick, then brings out some different objects for the next trick. Never let the beauty of a gaff/gimmick overcome the basic need to eliminate all suspicion and conclusions other than "must be magic."
Ken,

This is a good point. Do you have any suggestions for a trick or two -- suitable for one who has almost no experience with coins -- that would be good to do before SS?

Nice to hear from you.

Bob
[quote]On Jan 13, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Ken,

This is a good point. Do you have any suggestions for a trick or two -- suitable for one who has almost no experience with coins -- that would be good to do before SS?

Nice to hear from you.

Bob [/quote]

Stick w/ S&S....
[quote]On Jan 13, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Ken,

Bob [/quote]

write me ken@eversway.com as there will be too much detail for this public forum.
Thanks, Ken, I'll do that.
DB, I posted a message in response to your "stick to S&S" -- but I must have forgotten to hit Submit. Grrr...

Anyway, the gist was that I understand your point -- you suggested S&S as an opener so I could start with something self-working and powerful to calm myself down. Meanwhile, Ken always has interesting ideas, so I've emailed him to find out his thoughts. One idea I had was to perform S&S *first*, and *then* perform another trick or two with the S&S coins (in their transformed condition). Or, if I feel like it's overwhelming to try to learn additional coin tricks at this point, I'll just stick to S&S!

This is the only forum I've ever participated in -- it's amazing what you can learn when there are all these smart, experienced people making suggestions.

See you,

Bob
Itís very powerful Will, as for quick reset I can use the back of my wrist instead of a table in walk around. I use a quarter since itís so different in size and color. Can use a Sacajawea dollar too. Glad you got it.
I used to fumble this and this helped..... It is very important to show the 2 coins and state your challenge. Over under a few times. Notice the slight variation in size.... think you can tell the difference? Then have them hold out their hand, make your move, place the coins on their hand and fold their fingers over, hold their hand shut, instruct them about moving hand behind their back and placing one coin in each hand. Release their hand and show yours empty, they bring theirs forward one coin in each hand. Open the hand with the bigger coin. Now open the hand with the copper coin.....oooops you thief. Whereís my copper coin.....and.... Magic ! A great effect. I used to lay the spare on top of my shoe :) oh there it is.
Oh forgot to mention, get one of those little rubber 75 cent coin purses to hold it in. Ready to go with ring, half with quarter or Susan b or Sacajawea sandwiched and peso coin all inside. Fits nicely in your pocket. I have several S&S so I can rotate and easily reset on the back of my wrist in a pinch.
[quote]On Jan 27, 2019, Wx4usa wrote:
Oh forgot to mention, get one of those little rubber 75 cent coin purses to hold it in. Ready to go with ring, half with quarter or Susan b or Sacajawea sandwiched and peso coin all inside. Fits nicely in your pocket. I have several S&S so I can rotate and easily reset on the back of my wrist in a pinch. [/quote]

I always used one of them wayyyy overpriced leather coin purses. They do work great, but..... and use to also carry both usually in my back pockets my CSB in another one as to not croud my front pockets. Im not arguing here. I'm just sayin' 🙂. And where do you get a $.75 cent coin purse? 🙂.
You can get rubber coin purses here for 75 cents. Well, you do have to buy 1000 of them so that's one downside. 😀

https://www.epromos.com/samples/request?productid=8816413&pla=2&Promocode=QPPFAZ0827&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvJ-nvduP4AIV_yCtBh3YiARxEAQYBSABEgJrdfD_BwE
They were on clearance at the dollar store. Picked up several. :)
I do Bill Palmers ungimmicked S&S and have for years. So I will sometimes use dollar size coins or half dollar size depending. Always used it as kind of an ice break or at the start of a coin set.
I remember Bill's wonderful ungimmicked S&S from many years back now, he made it available to anyone that asked for it....Wondeful man and magician. :)

He will always be remembered for such a kind gesture for a real good option as to a really good piece of magic. :)

Happy to see people still using it. Way ta go, Corey. ;)
[quote]On Jan 28, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
I remember Bill's wonderful ungimmicked S&S from many years back now, he made it available to anyone that asked for it....Wondeful man and magician. :)

He will always be remembered for such a kind gesture for a real good option as to a really good piece of magic. :)

Happy to see people still using it. Way ta go, Corey. ;) [/quote]

Is Bill not with us anymore?
Would love to learn Mr Palmerís S&S routine.
[quote]On Jan 28, 2019, Dollarbill wrote:

Is Bill not with us anymore? [/quote]

So sorry here, didn't mean to imply that about Bill. I did see that he posted during this month, so he 's very much with us and still a tremendously magical resource.

*And Wrav, you might just reach out to him here via PM for his gaffess S&S routine, I'm sure he'd be happy to still share it. :)

Oh, and this is an old post from Bill, try it. ;)

[quote]On Jun 26, 2010, Bill Palmer wrote:
I've been getting so many requests for my gaffless Scotch and Soda routine, that I need to ask anyone who is interested to e-mail me at curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com

The routine is free. [/quote]
[quote]On Jan 29, 2019, Mb217 wrote:

So sorry here, didn't mean to imply that about Bill. I did see that he posted during this month, so he 's very much with us and still a tremendously magical resource.

*And Wray, you might just reach out to him here via PM for his gaffess S&S routine, I'm sure he'd be happy to still share it. :) [/quote]

Whew! I don't know Bill, but always respected his views. And who else has a Cup n Balls museum? 👌 I recently heard that MagicIan passed. Again I didn't know him but had talked to him thru the Cafť' and saw quite a few of his posts over time. Just sucks...No matter who it is......... Well on a better note I'm glad Bill is still around us! 👍👍
[quote]On Jan 29, 2019, Mb217 wrote:

*And Wrav, you might just reach out to him here via PM for his gaffess S&S routine, I'm sure he'd be happy to still share it. :)

Oh, and this is an old post from Bill, try it. ;)

[quote]On Jun 26, 2010, Bill Palmer wrote:
I've been getting so many requests for my gaffless Scotch and Soda routine, that I need to ask anyone who is interested to e-mail me at curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com

The routine is free. [/quote] [/quote]

Mb, thank you very much!
I still have my Johnson S&S set from way back when. I haven't performed it in quite a while but it always garnered the reactions I wanted...i.e. the folks liked it...it's simple...fast...and it happens right in their hand so what's not to like. This is a classic...always will be. I like the idea of thinking outside the box...coming up with some tweaks perhaps...or new ways to use the set...and the little change purse idea. Such great ideas here.
It is probably old news to many of you, but I found a S&S video compilation by David Hudspath that has a lot of great ideas. I would suggest to buy but I don't think it is available. I don't think I can post the video link directly because it would be way too revealing, but if you are having trouble finding it, PM me.
The 25 tricks to do w/ s&s is pretty good to I thought.
I'm reading this thread in slight disbelief. I've used a magnetic Scotch and Soda set to do walk around for years. Bang rings are not practical, but with a steel shimmed half, the magnetic S&S resets in seconds. I would open with Jennest's short hop, which allows the coins to be inspected and ends with all coins going to your pocket. Take out the "same" coins to do a S&S effect and you are golden. My performing jacket has two coins pockets in the right jacket pocket that I would use to keep the coins separate.

And yes, S&S hits hard. IMHO, YMMV...
[quote]On Feb 2, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
I'm reading this thread in slight disbelief. I've used a magnetic Scotch and Soda set to do walk around for years. Bang rings are not practical, but with a steel shimmed half, the magnetic S&S resets in seconds. I would open with Jennest's short hop, which allows the coins to be inspected and ends with all coins going to your pocket. Take out the "same" coins to do a S&S effect and you are golden. My performing jacket has two coins pockets in the right jacket pocket that I would use to keep the coins separate.

And yes, S&S hits hard. IMHO, YMMV... [/quote]

Kaliix, I agree with you.
May I ask which mag version of S&S you have been using?
Joining the discussion a little late. I love S&S, and still use it all the time as it does hit hard.

I begin by telling specs that I collect coins, and that "these two" are my lucky/favorite ones. This has never raised suspicions. After they reveal the half and Japanese 500 yen coin in their hands, I reveal the Centavo (usually I sneak it under a napkin, cup or book on the table, and guide them to it, or I'll just pull it out my pocket if I'm unable to be sneaky). Then they can examine all three coins to their hearts content.

I would be interested in the magnetic version, as well, but I do like that specs are able to handle the coins.

D.
[quote]On Feb 2, 2019, Kaliix wrote:

And yes, S&S hits hard. IMHO, YMMV... [/quote]

When I use a gimmick S&S, I never have a problem with using a bang ring. Most times you can reset in your pocket without actually having to "Bang" the set to reset.
[quote]On Feb 8, 2019, Corey Harris wrote:

When I use a gimmick S&S, I never have a problem with using a bang ring. Most times you can reset in your pocket without actually having to "Bang" the set to reset. [/quote]

Hi Corey,

Do you mean that the coins just come apart while in your pocket? Perhaps you have a higher end set than mine, but I have to slam mine pretty hard on a solid table for the coins to separate. Any tips on how to accomplish this "in the pocket, no bang" reset?

D.
For sure...that's interesting...using the bang ring without the bang. My old Johnson set (as mentioned by others) requires slamming it pretty hard on a flat surface...not a bad thing at all since (also as mentioned by others) means the spectator(s) can handle the coin afterwards. I have not handled a magnetic set so I really can't speak to that...I assume they separate easily.
[quote]On Feb 9, 2019, tbsmith918 wrote:
For sure...that's interesting...using the bang ring without the bang. My old Johnson set (as mentioned by others) requires slamming it pretty hard on a flat surface...not a bad thing at all since (also as mentioned by others) means the spectator(s) can handle the coin afterwards. I have not handled a magnetic set so I really can't speak to that...I assume they separate easily. [/quote]

I was trying to accomplish this with my Johnson set as well, and no way was that thing coming apart without a good bang on a hard surface.

I've only handled a magnetic Eisenhower version, and I ended up returning it right away because of poor quality. Going back to the original poster's question, I think any version of S & S is worth looking into.

D.
[quote]On Feb 9, 2019, tbsmith918 wrote:
For sure...that's interesting...using the bang ring without the bang. My old Johnson set (as mentioned by others) requires slamming it pretty hard on a flat surface...not a bad thing at all since (also as mentioned by others) means the spectator(s) can handle the coin afterwards. I have not handled a magnetic set so I really can't speak to that...I assume they separate easily. [/quote]

I've had both kinds of S&S, and found the magnetic version to be noticeably light in weight & feel. While it is much easier to reset than the old bang ring version, I never felt good about allowing for any examination. Think the inset also could spin a bit as well, if Im not mistaken? Now, all that might be just the make I had from a good while back. Perhaps they are better made now but that was my experience and so I didn't use the magnetic version much, back when I used to actually do the trick. But I always thought it was a good idea.
[quote]On Feb 8, 2019, dmoriarty1 wrote:
[quote]On Feb 8, 2019, Corey Harris wrote:

When I use a gimmick S&S, I never have a problem with using a bang ring. Most times you can reset in your pocket without actually having to "Bang" the set to reset. [/quote]

Hi Corey,

Do you mean that the coins just come apart while in your pocket? Perhaps you have a higher end set than mine, but I have to slam mine pretty hard on a solid table for the coins to separate. Any tips on how to accomplish this "in the pocket, no bang" reset?

D. [/quote]

dmoriarty1, What I do is place the coin in the bang ring in my pocket and just apply pressure, that usually resets in right in my pocket. Mine is a Johnson set from before they let their quality go downhill. But to go back further in this post, I usually do a gimmickless routine. I did however pull out my old S&S the other day and it still dislodges fine with just some pressure in the bang ring.
The magnetic scotch and soda set I have is from Johnson I believe. That set when purchased was $50 and was the first expensive magic gaff I ever bought (circa mid 90's). I did a quick search and Johnson doesn't even list the magnetic version (just the bang ring version) on their website, nor did I really find it quickly on the web. Tango [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1681]has a set [/url]but I've never used it.

[quote]On Feb 2, 2019, videoman wrote:
Kaliix, I agree with you. May I ask which mag version of S-S you have been using? [/quote]
What I can say bout' Johnson is the customer service is second to none. There are several. they are one of em' . 🙂.
Thanks Kaliix, I have had the Johnson magnetic copper/silver set since the late '70's. This was a great utility set because you could do so much with it, including S&S of course. Itís a shame they no longer offer this superb multi-purpose set. It offered great bang for the buck.

For those interested in performing a magnetic S&S, any of the Coin Unique sets will work. I also have a Captain and Coke 2.0 which is a magnetic quarter/penny set and one of my favorites. In addition I have a £2/2P Coin Unique set, and I just got one of the new £1/1P sets from Vanishing Inc. This is a very beautifully made Coin Unique set by the way. I was extremely pleased and impressed with the quality of it.
Don't forget that if you own Wayne Dobsonís Pocket Money effect, you can use the gaff from that to do an S&S routine as well.

I own a lot of gaffs made in coins that are foreign to the US. I know a lot of magicians will only use coins found in their local currency but I really like the variety and interest that using foreign coins can add to a routine. I donít find spectators are any more suspicious of them, in fact just the opposite, they are more interested and fascinated with them. It helps pull them in.

Another nice advantage to using a magnetic S&S set is that if you own a magnet detector such as Flux you can go right into a Which Hand routine which is a logical and natural follow up to the standard S&S routine.
Yes. The reset is a bit of a problem but it is a trade off. You can hand the coins out and they will stand up to close inspection. I have not performed mine in a long time but thought I would get it out and give it a go. It always seems to get a good reaction. I was thinking, you can still do this more than once when you are taking a break or getting a drink. Just pass by a table when nobody is looking and give the coins a tap with the ring and just reset it. I do not plan on doing this 50 times at a walk around strolling gig anyway. Cheers!