(Close Window)
Topic: Twenty one card trick
I am a semi pro magician who tutors students in Drawing and Painting and confidence building. I have found through working with a young student (who has very poor digital dexterity) that the Twenty One card trick has been of great help. This student loves magic as well as art. He has though, very low self esteem. Through him learning this trick (by getting the spectator to follow instructions as its self working) he is now learning to present himself as confident. He is realising that he is witty and that he interacts well with spectators. Also any understanding by the spectator of how the trick works is "thrown off track" because they have to listen to this young student offering instructions.
Great proof that a lot of good magic is in the presentation.
Dani DaOrtiz has a great presentation for the 21 card trick that does not depend on the secret for the 21 card trick. It uses a totally different principle. Anyone that knows the original will be totally fooled.
Interesting post, mysticmelville. Your student might be able to add a modicum of sleight of hand and perform some Marlo's handlings (shown here by Bill Malone). Easy and really fooling!

[youtube]xb8agQ2sGkA[/youtube]
@Marc
Do you know how the effect from DaOrtiz is called?
It's called "The 21 Card trick"

It's in the semiautomatic series:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8376

Marc
Thanks Claudio,
very much appreciate you mentioning the above. I can see why this may be a helpful approach.

best, Dean
For another interesting and above all entertaining version of the 21-card-trick go to: https://www.lybrary.com/scripted-4-the-21-card-trick-p-852201.html It is free of charge!
Thanks for the suggestion. Going to be working with the student today. Great to have a few new avenues to follow.
There is a version of the 21 Card Trick in Asymptotes that most magicians can’t (usually) tell is a version of the 21 Card Trick. It’s going to be republished again with some refinements from some magicians you definitely know. 🙂
My favourite can be found in David Solomon’s new book Solomon’s Secrets.
Mike Powers published a couple of interesting versions in the Linking Ring in 2012, I believe. Maybe Mike can give us the exact references.
[quote]On Nov 16, 2018, ejohn wrote:
Mike Powers published a couple of interesting versions in the Linking Ring in 2012, I believe. Maybe Mike can give us the exact references. [/quote]
One of them is in the new Solomon book.
I've always enjoyed the version taught by Randy Wakeman on his Lake Tahoe Bar magic set.
Here is a variation from my book "BaseMental"

After the "two" deal-outs into three piles, you spell "this is the card you picked" eliminating one cared each time. The last remaining card is their choice.

The original Effect required three (3) boring dealing out into three piles. You short cut that by having them select a card from one of three pre-dealt piles. Naturally, you place that pile in the middle of the others. Repeat, but you only need two deals. The rest is automatic – the location of the card as the fourth in the stack makes it work. Spell “this” by transferring a card from the top of the stack to the bottom (face down) and place one card on the table while saying “THIS.” Continue the Spelling until “PICKED” which place the penultimate card on the table. Then face the Chosen Card.
Mike Powers’ better (always works), single deal version is 21AGAIN in the February 2009 issue of The Linking Ring, page 89.
Hi ejohn - I think 21 Again is the best of the versions I've come up with. I also taught it in my Penguin Lecture a couple of years ago. It really looks impossible. Also, there is only one deal-through.

Mike
It is excellent. Thank you, Mike!
[quote]On Jan 9, 2019, Mike Powers wrote:
Hi ejohn - I think 21 Again is the best of the versions I've come up with. I also taught it in my Penguin Lecture a couple of years ago. It really looks impossible. Also, there is only one deal-through.

Mike [/quote]

Color me intrigued!
There is a fine version in 52 Memories.