(Close Window)
Topic: Jim Steinmeyer's books
Hey guys!

Just a quick query. What kind of info will I find in Jim Steinmeyer's books? I've heard nothing but good things about them so far, and am interested in learning more about the concepts behind large scale illusions. Are these books worth purchasing? Thanks!!

-- Topher
All of his books are worth purchasing. Even though several might be hard to find, several more are still available in later, revised editions.

Amos McCormick
They're all worth your time. You can buy direct from Jim at http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/ .
What I like about Steinmeyer's books is the amount of theory in them. He really has looked at his illusions from every angle, and will describe the process of creating each trick from the idea to the production to the performance.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (May 4, 2004 04:07PM)
Jim Steinmeyer is a gift to the art of illusion. Buy anything that he writes, read it, and refer to it often. He is both practical and philosophical, and his books are quality productions.
I have owned an Origami built by John Gaughn for almost 13 years and a solo Modern Art built by Owen Redwine. Both are excellent illusions in concept, performability, and because of the builders, road worthiness.
I have not purchased the newer version of the Jarrett book, but was told that the updated version is worth purchasing - even though I have the older one.
In addition to being a genius, Jim Steinmeyer is also a humble man. We should support him in any way we can and be grateful for all that he contributes to our art.
Lou Leventhal
I AGREE; HIS BOOKS ARE WELL WORTH THE PURCHASE. I originally bought his Modern Art book for Modern Art but found Hospitality (also in the book) to be a very solid piece.
Even though "Hiding the Elephant" is written for the general public it is an instant classic of magic history. I have read it (twice) and have learned a lot from it. It is also rich in magic theory. Since it is a general public book it is widely available at public libraries.

Ed
"The Complete Jarret" is one of my favourite books by Jim Steinmeyer. Filled cover to cover with interesting anecdotes, this book reads like a novel and the material contained within is invaluable.

Device and Illusion has to be my second favourite Steinmeyer.
My favorite Steinmeyer book by far, and probably one of the most beautiful books ever printed, is The Magic of Alan Wakeling.

Amos McCormick
You can't go wrong. I *think* I own everything he has authored, and I would give up my entire set of Tarbell before my Steinmeyer books.
I got Hiding the Elephant for Christmas but haven't started it yet. I also have Device and Illusion and the book Modern Art and Other Mysteries. I actually built the Modern art using the plans in his book.
I LOVE Device and Illusion.
Very well written book. His hot air illusion is awesome.
I recommend it.
His books are excellent, not only by the illusion ideas but the psychology behind each trick and illusion is very comprehensive. I highly recommend his books.