(Close Window)
Topic: Best places to buy used magic books at reasonable prices
In addition to the selling forum on here (which I will qualify for one day), the magic book sales and swap group on Facebook and eBay, what are the best sources you check for fairly priced magic books?
I find the forum here (when you get there) is the best. Amazon is ridiculous and ebay is all over the place price wise. I do not frequent facebook so I cannot speak for any of those groups.
Unfortunately I donít have access to that area of the forum yet.
Keep participating and you will.
It's always worth checking Amazon. Usually the prices can be crazy but I've gotten some great deals there. For the used items, people set their own prices and it's a place where often sellers are trying to take advantage of an unknowledgeable buyer. But there are good sellers too that post at reasonable prices. However, those items don't tend to last long. So, it's worth checking.

As far as eBay, it's a good place to get a rough idea of the current market price. When you search for an item, you can change the search criteria to only see "SOLD" items. You want "SOLD" and not "COMPLETED" to only see the auctions where someone actually paid a price. There are a lot of things outrageously priced, like Amazon, but they don't sell either. But if you limit the search to only sold items and if there are several that were sold it will give you an idea of the current fair market price.

One other place that has been around for a long time (and their website design shows it) is http://magicauction.com/. It's worth a look there too.
Magic auction is way over priced.

Check H&R magic books. Great deals and a huge amount of books there.
I find the inventory on used stuff at H&R...especially higher demand items like Essential Dai Vernon (which is something of my white whale to find at an affordable price)..is limited. I understand Andy Greget is a good source, but I wish he had a website to refer to.
The good items are not shown on the website. If you want something particular, just ask directly to Richard.
Some of the various magic groups on Facebook have decent deals....
I have had some luck on Facebook but the selection is very limited and unpredictable--I only see a couple of people adding new books to the sales offers on a given day and much of what is offered is commonly available beyond the group.
[quote]On Oct 19, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I find the forum here (when you get there) is the best. Amazon is ridiculous and ebay is all over the place price wise. I do not frequent facebook so I cannot speak for any of those groups. [/quote]

I agree with Poof-Daddy. I certainly do my best to sell used magic books there at very fair prices...it's just my way of feeling like I'm giving back to the community that's gave to me. Amazon seems atrociously high quite a bit and eBay is everywhere. So I 2nd Poof-Daddy.

AsL
Byron Walker--the best bar none.

https://www.byronwalkermagicbooks.com/
Thank you Leo,

I didnít know that shop.

Diego
Nice list at decent prices. Thanks Leo.

Donít forget the Genii collectorís marketplace too.
Byron also has lots of books not on his site. Always worth giving him a call to check.
Same for other used books sellers. If you want something, contact them directly.
I have had some luck on occasion finding used magic books locally at Half Price Books. I am not sure if these are all over the US.
If you're in the UK, great group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/372879069452071/
Dan Bradbury is another person who sells used books.
Martin Joyal has a large collection of used books for sale. Iíve bought from him in the past, and I can vouch for him:
www.joyalstack.com
I have had good luck with Joyal.
This was a great help! I did find one gem that I have been looking for.
Wondering if anyone might any updates to add to this thread?
Currently, one of my favorite places to buy books is Dons Magic & Books ( https://usedmagic.myshopify.com/ ). Since January 1st of this year I have purchase 37 books from there. The last 3 were the Ireland's Yearbook Reader 3 volume set. That is all 31 issues of Irelands Yearbook 1934-1970 (compiled in 3 comb bound books ) for $90.00 with free shipping. I also buy DVDs from him. I got a Great deal on a Full set ( 6 cases ) of The Doctor Is In!-New Coin Magic of Dr. Sawa Vols. 1-6 ( Still Sealed ) for $30.00 shipped. Occasionally, I will email Don and ask if he has or can get a book and so far he has come though for me. Sadly, his free media rate is going to come to an end on June 1. The bright side is that he has just been charging the Actual postage he pays and refunding the difference. He has over 1600 used books available. P.S.I started shopping his site while searching for a booklet that sold for $22.00 on feabay. His site showed up and he had it for $5.00 with cheap shipping. I check his site out regularly.
Happy shopping.........
Thanks for the info on Dons Magic & Books. There are some hidden gems in there with great prices.
Yes, Don's looks like a great resource. Thanks!
This should probably be on the e-book section but if youre looking for digitized magic books try https://www.lybrary.com/

Lybrary has tons of hard to find books in e-book format. Its a wonderful site.

As others have pointed out ebay and amazon are pricey so I usually buy used books from members of the Cafť.
Eventually I'll have enough posts to see the book section on the Cafť here. I've seen some decent prices on Facebook, but have been apprehensive about purchasing from there.
[quote]On Jun 3, 2020, bassinator wrote:
but have been apprehensive about purchasing from there. [/quote]
It's a lot of the same people, and this place has no protection either. So...
We put out near weekly lists of used books and such related to magic and allied arts. And the prices are reduced by 10% each week an item goes unsold. Our website is available at www.bradburybooks.com, but essentially it is late 20th Century style. If interested just email me (dan@bradburybooks.com) and I will add you to our list. We pride ourselves on helping to recirculate magic book collections to the folks that want them--and at reasonable prices. Hope to hear from you if interested. We are in the U.S. (Kansas City), but will ship internationally. Best to all. - Dan
[quote]On Sep 27, 2020, dbjb wrote:
We put out near weekly lists of used books and such related to magic and allied arts. And the prices are reduced by 10% each week an item goes unsold. Our website is available at www.bradburybooks.com, but essentially it is late 20th Century style. If interested just email me (dan@bradburybooks.com) and I will add you to our list. We pride ourselves on helping to recirculate magic book collections to the folks that want them--and at reasonable prices. Hope to hear from you if interested. We are in the U.S. (Kansas City), but will ship internationally. Best to all. - Dan [/quote]

I have bought a number of books from Dan. His operation is first class all the way.
[quote]On Jun 3, 2020, the Sponge wrote:
[quote]On Jun 3, 2020, bassinator wrote:
but have been apprehensive about purchasing from there. [/quote]
It's a lot of the same people, and this place has no protection either. So... [/quote]

If you use the protections from PayPal, you are going to be OK 99%+. I have bought and sold A LOT of books on there with ZERO issues. Just look for the people who post frequently.

That said, the forum is MUCH less active than it was 6 months ago.