(Close Window)
Topic: Loaded Dice by Alan Wakeling
I was browsing Hocus-Pocus's estate collection effects this morning and was pleased to see they were offering the Loaded Dice by Alan Wakeling. From what I've read, a limited number of the originals were made and are now collector's items. The item originally sold for $130 (as best I can tell) and Hocus-Pocus was asking significantly less than that. Condition was listed as MINT, complete with instructions, so I snatched it up.

I subsequently discovered that Collector's Workshop has started offering the effect again (not sure on how long ago). In Walnut:

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/loaded-dice-wakeling-steinmeyer-walnut/

In Rosewood:

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/loaded-dice-palisander-rosewood-palisander/

Here is Chris Bent performing the effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWmLKazj1Go

Fun!

Mark
I don't get the effect, why would a box be used to show that the dice are loaded, wouldn't a simple roll of the dice accomplish this.

My opinion, this is not a very good effect, that is more confusing then entertaining.

Just how I see it. Although, I am not a collector of wood boxes to dust off every few days.
It's my understanding that the dice are not loaded.

I'll keep it in a close-up case so it will remain dust free. :)

Mark
BTW, yes, I'm a sucker for magic effects that use nicely made boxes. :)

Loaded Dice arrived and I've been having fun with it. My wife is my only victim so far. :)

Mark
Hello everybody, is there anybody want to sell his "loaded dice" ?
[quote]On Nov 27, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I don't get the effect, why would a box be used to show that the dice are loaded...[/quote]
Well if you're going to start looking for logic in magical patter I guess you're often going to find yourself very disappointed!

Actually I think this is a great trick, maybe it's more of a puzzle than a big mystery and perhaps it lacks a climax, but even so it's visually appealing.

Years ago I used to do a trick called dice climax (or something like that!) from Dai Vernon's Book of Magic, he recommended using it as a follow on to dice stacking, but it seems to me you could use Vernon's routine as a follow on from this trick and then you'd have your climax (with the production of a giant die) and it would make for an entertaining interlude.

Just a thought.
Message: Posted by: Gerald Blankenship (Dec 22, 2019 07:51AM)
I too am a sucker for box effects and I have the loaded dice. I love the quality of this piece, now granted this is not a show stopper but it is a fun little effect and after you learn it you can make numerous routines of your own. There is a place for this effect at the right time and place.
Shoot me a message I have a set I no longer use.