(Close Window)
Topic: New Paul Brook masterpieceóCertified Mentalism
Heigh hoó[i]very[/i] excited to receive an unexpected email today about Paul Brookís newest book, [i]Certified Mentalism[/i], which looks to be absolutely incredible! As has been the tradition in mentalism publishing the last few years, it comes in two editions, Standard and Special. The Standard Edition looks jam-packed with terrific and practical effects, and the Special Edition has an extra four full routines. Both are very fairly priced, imho.

I ordered the Special Edition immediately, and Iím confident calling it a masterpiece in advance, because Iíve felt that way about virtually all of his books, and the chances that this will fall short I feel are very slim..! Paulís style of mentalism is usually right up my alley in terms of what I look for in great effects, but Iím sure I donít need to mention that, since most of us probably feel similarly.

I really love that this isnít a pre-order, and that I didnít even know about it until Paul had books on hand to ship immediately.

Congrats and Thank You, Paul!! Canít wait to take a look under the hood when it arrives!

Seth
Looks good. The Alchemical Tools is one of the top 5 menatilism books that I have ever read.
Chrysalis of a Polymath is a killer book too, Brook is a machine and I'm looking forward to seeing what's in his latest opus.

Phill
Judging from the illustrations (which look insanely gorgeous, btw) I assumed you were involved in this project, Phillóyou werenít??

Very much agree with both of youótwo of his best books! Another big favorite of mine is [i]The Gift[/i]. I think I have the entire series of his original titles (ďthe Aleister Crowley challengeĒ set). Btw, not to detail the topic, but did anyone ever solve that impossible puzzle?

Seth
Oops--probably should have included a linky link... :D

http://www.heknows.co.uk/

Seth
I never met a Paul Brook book I didnít like!!

Mark
Hmmmm.... Iím intrigued by this book. I perform strictly as a psychic tho and I find routines about psychological influence somewhat hard to reframe.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2018, Seth speaks wrote:
Judging from the illustrations (which look insanely gorgeous, btw) I assumed you were involved in this project, Phillóyou werenít?? [/quote]

Not my work this time, so I haven't had a sneaky peek at it yet.

Phill
Defo looks like its worth a read! I haven't read any of his work previously but reviews look very good.
Paul's book arrived yesterday and I'm pretty busy, BUT I just had to make time to start reading it. It's a beautifully produced book and from what I've read so far the material is fantastic! It's ALL tried tested and honed to perfection. This is my type of book I absolutely love learning from other pros and Paul is right up there with the best. There is a wide range of close-up and stand up routines that you will WANT to perform. Paul's approach to performance material is very elegant, he forms solid, entertaining and engaging plots and then uses the most practical robust method that he can think of to get you there directly. THAT is exactly how great mentalism is created! I can't recommend this book highly enough, 10/10. Congratulations Paul this is your Magnum Opus...outstanding!
Marc Paul
I agree that Alchemical Tools is great. Paul Brook is a terrific creator!
I'm a big fan of Paul's work and have a lot of his previous releases including both Alakazam lectures, Murphys ATT and recently attended a show / lecture in the small space in Barry. Although there were some routines that I recognised, I still bought the book for the other routines and as personally I find a book is a better reference point than a video.

I'm really glad I bought this. It's a beautifully produced book and the routines are brilliant. Psychic countdown and The Simulacrum are a couple of my favourite new routines and I'll be learning them as soon as possible.

Highly recommended!
Hi Everyone :)

Thanks for the very kind words and I'm glad everyone is enjoying the book.

Apologies for the slow response, I've had some very sad news over the past few days which has delayed my responses.

I would just like to address one of the most common question. Yes, the Special Edition has sold out, BUT it is not limited. I thought I had ordered enough and I was surprised to be wrong. I have ordered more, however, at this time of a year the delivery can be greatly delayed.

The regular edition stock is down to around to around just 40 remaining for those who simply cannot wait.

Hopefully that answered the most pressing question I'm being asked. If you do send me a question I will do my best to answer, but at this time my spare moments are fleeting and there may be a delay.

Wishing you all a bountiful festive period. You are all so very kind.

Cheers,

Paul
[quote]On Dec 15, 2018, Pixelated wrote:
I'm a big fan of Paul's work and have a lot of his previous releases including both Alakazam lectures, Murphys ATT and recently attended a show / lecture in the small space in Barry. Although there were some routines that I recognised, I still bought the book for the other routines and as personally I find a book is a better reference point than a video.

I'm really glad I bought this. It's a beautifully produced book and the routines are brilliant. Psychic countdown and The Simulacrum are a couple of my favourite new routines and I'll be learning them as soon as possible.

Highly recommended! [/quote]

Did you buy the Alkazam lecture? I see that many of the tricks in lecture are on the book. How did you find it?
Sorry to hear about your sad news Paul. Has anyone who purchased the Special edition got any thoughts? Is it worth the extra expense?

I am going to buy the book but trying to see if I should wait for the New Year and buy the special edition.
I have the special edition which includes four addition routines, The Sneaky Rogue, Unquestionably Mental, That Paul Brook Routine and Three Phase Booktest.
In my opinion any ONE of those routines is worth the extra price. These are fully scripted, fully honed, professional and 100% commercial routines that Paul makes his living from and you could too!

Sneaky Rogue...is my favorite it's Paul's stage presentation and ideas for Sneak Thief. This is almost an act in it's own right a full 20 to 30 minutes of sheer entertainment. If you know Sneak Thief you'll know the method BUT that is not what this is about, it's Paul's hook and his presentation that are unique and totally engaging. This also has the potential for a massive amount of comedy and fun. Also if you saw him perform it he has a kicker ending that would really fool you!

Unquestionably Mental...is a walk around piece again, fully scripted, that will enable you to do A LOT of mind-reading in 5 minutes without any writing down of the information. Paul explains his deep thinking behind every facet of the presentation. This is a modular piece that means you can stop an any point and the group you are performing for would have seen something amazing even if you stop after just 30 seconds. At it's heart is something you may know, but again this is about Paul's fantastic presentation and his philosophy. This again is 100% commercial packs a punch and all you have to carry in your pocket are three pieces of card.

That Paul Brook Routine...in fairness this is a re-working and enlargement of a routine that's in the normal part of the book (Unlimited Drawing Duplication) it also draws on the psychology of Unquestionably Mental. This also turns UDD into a modular walk around piece that will enable you to again read a lot of minds in a short period of time. You probably would not perform UM and TPBR in the same set BUT you could do UM and UDD in the same set. By the way, UDD is great it will enable you do perform a double drawing dup. where one person draws their picture BUT the second person only THINKS about their picture you can accurately reveal BOTH!

Three Phase Booktest...this is extremely well thought out! Paul uses three over lapping methods to create a mind-reading experience for his audience that is totally inexplicable. Every phase cancels out possible methods that the audience could come up with and creates a strong escalation of impossibility. This is great thinking. It could be performed walk-around or on stage.

You should know that Paul is my friend but I've tried to give you a review here based on my perspective as a professional mentalist. I hope that helps you to make an informed choice.
The moment I saw that Paul was releasing another book my attention was grabbed. Paul is one of those writers in the community who really captures the idea of simple and direct Mentalism that can be used in front of real audiences and since I started performing Iíve found myself revisiting his material over and over again.

Certified Mentalism is no exception! I picked up a copy of the standard edition as a birthday present to myself, and can honestly say I will use a lot of the material here. While I was familiar with a handful of the effects from watching Paulís lectures, this didnít disappoint me in the slightest, in fact it only reminded me of how good these effects (which I was already using) are! A personal highlight in the book for me was ďThe Wrong OrderĒ - itís such a well thought out routine and I know Iíll be using it! Similarly, ďUnlimited Drawobg DuplicationĒ is an effect that I will immediately be putting to use!

This is a book that I just couldnít put down for a minute, itís full of Paulís ingenious thinking and I would highly recommend it to anyone on the fence. But from reading this post on the forum, I wouldnít take my word for it - it has the approval of some other terrific thinkers and performers.
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the very kind words about the book :)

Also thanks for the lovely kind messages of support in this hard time for me. It is this reason why I am making this post instead of sending a whole bunch of individual private messages.

Certified Mentalism Special Edition is now back in stock and is already down to just 25 copies.

I will order another 100 in the new year, so if you want one before then, make sure to grab your copy:

http://www.heknows.co.uk/shop/certified-mentalism-special-edition/

Truly hope that you are enjoying, or about to enjoy, the festivity of the season.

Be Merry,

Paul
Thanks for the helpful comments and your message Paul. Will be picking up the special edition after January pay day!

On a side note did anyone solve the puzzles that were part of the Pleaides collection?
I know nothing about Paul Brook but I've heard some good compliment about him. Looking forward to get one. Ahh..There's just so many books to read. It just doesn't end (and I hope they never will LOL)
t
Hey all,

I would sincerely love to save you all the hyperbole and over-the-top praises that get sung so frequentlyÖand Iíd also like to excuse my French in advance, because this is the SINGLE !@#$%^& BEST mentalism book I have read in 2018. Quite possibly beyond that, too.

Now that this is out of the way, letís back up and rewind a little.

Paul and I first met in September when we shared the stage at a performance. We immediately got along great and became (Iíd like to think) friends quickly. When Certified Mentalism was released, Paul offered to send me a complimentary copy of the special edition. Unbeknownst to him, I had already prepared to buy that literally 30 seconds earlier and thus refused his offer on the grounds of wanting to support someone for whose work I have so much respect. All of which is to say, I paid for the book, and gladly.

(Just to showcase Paulís kindness, upon hearing I wanted to buy the book he immediately offered to send that complimentary copy to another mentalist of my choosing, which we did.)

First off, the description of effects contained within Certified Mentalism as found on Paul's website is accurate. If you like what you read there, that's what you'll get.
Now, after having read through CM a couple times, I can honestly state a couple of things. 

Firstly, if a beginner asked me for a good book to start on mentalism, I would definitely include CM on the list.

Secondly, if any advanced performer, indeed any professional, asked me for my hottest book tip, it would be Certified Mentalism.

To clarify my first point: by no means am I saying that Certified Mentalism is a book written for beginners, nor is the material contained therein necessarily easy to master. I do however believe that the wide range of practical and well-scripted material will give any budding mentalist both a great repertoire to choose and perform from, as well as fantastic examples of effective structuring. On top of that, several of these routines really drive home the point that what we would regard as a Ďcleverí method is not necessarily the best way to go - instead, Paul uses whatever works best and is most practical for any given situation. The methods are fooling, yet there are no superfluous bells and whistles to be found. I like that a lot.

Any advanced performer will benefit from the book for most of the same reasons. In Certified Mentalism we get to peek inside a working professionalís mind. Paul shares with us routines that have been revised and reworked until they became as streamlined and effective as they could possibly be. All of this, literally every single routine, is workable and impactful. In fact, while reading the book, I kept messaging Paul after almost every chapter I read to tell him how much I loved that one..so much so that I feared he would get annoyed eventually (he did not). 
Paul also does a great job of analysing and explaining why he does certain things a certain way, why things build up the way they do and why his scripting was written one way and not another. In some routines he goes into the evolution it went through, which I believe is always a great learning tool. 

Certified Mentalism is as much a book about practical performance pieces as it is a book about theory and practical experience.

Just now, I went back to the book to see if I could point out my favourites to you. Iím sure you may have already guessed what I am about to say: finding any definite favourites was very difficult as I got excited about every piece all over again just reading their titles.

So for now, let it suffice to say that Iíve been having a lot of fun with The Copenhagen Coverup, which is a remix of a routine we all know (and love); Chess in The Hand, which is very, very simple and straightforward (I love those routines) and features the fantastic Dog Eared Switch; Sharprediction, which you can always have on you to get an extra reveal for free in some cases; Wrong Order, again straightforward and hits hard (plus I LOVE the bold method as well as the subtleties applied. Paul is great at subtleties) and Donít Be Alarmed for its great organic premise.

This has already been going on for a little while, so just one more thing: Standard or Special Edition? I for one am certainly glad to have bought the Special Edition. The Special part features four of Paulís working routines in detail. They are probably routines that you know and maybe use the method for already, so what you find here are Paulís interpretations of these. I have seen Paul perform the Sneaky Rogue live and itís a thing of beauty. So are the other three routines included here. Advanced and professional performers will likely be the ones to benefit the most from this extra material.
That said, I was honestly surprised at how chock full of great material the Standard Edition of Certified Mentalism is. You will not be sorry to have bought the Standard Edition nor will you feel like you missed out. Similarly, you will also not be sorry to have bought the Special Edition - I am glad I did. Considering there is a certain price gap between the two, Iíd be inclined to say that the Standard Edition is a great deal for anyone and will please both hobbyists, beginners and professionals alike, while the extra content of the Special Edition seems to be aimed more at professionals, which is reflected in the price.
Both come HIGHLY recommended.

That was that. Thanks for reading and hope it helped!

All the best,

Timon
[quote]On Dec 29, 2018, big dan wrote:
Thanks for the helpful comments and your message Paul. Will be picking up the special edition after January pay day!

On a side note did anyone solve the puzzles that were part of the Pleaides collection? [/quote]

Hi Dan,

The puzzle is still yet to be solved...the prize is still waiting to be pulled from the stone by the one who is worthy!

I'm sure someone will solve it.

Cheers,

Paul
[quote]On Jan 4, 2019, TimonK wrote:
Hey all,

I would sincerely love to save you all the hyperbole and over-the-top praises that get sung so frequentlyÖand Iíd also like to excuse my French in advance, because this is the SINGLE !@#$%^& BEST mentalism book I have read in 2018. Quite possibly beyond that, too.

Now that this is out of the way, letís back up and rewind a little.

Paul and I first met in September when we shared the stage at a performance. We immediately got along great and became (Iíd like to think) friends quickly. When Certified Mentalism was released, Paul offered to send me a complimentary copy of the special edition. Unbeknownst to him, I had already prepared to buy that literally 30 seconds earlier and thus refused his offer on the grounds of wanting to support someone for whose work I have so much respect. All of which is to say, I paid for the book, and gladly.

(Just to showcase Paulís kindness, upon hearing I wanted to buy the book he immediately offered to send that complimentary copy to another mentalist of my choosing, which we did.)

First off, the description of effects contained within Certified Mentalism as found on Paul's website is accurate. If you like what you read there, that's what you'll get.
Now, after having read through CM a couple times, I can honestly state a couple of things. 

Firstly, if a beginner asked me for a good book to start on mentalism, I would definitely include CM on the list.

Secondly, if any advanced performer, indeed any professional, asked me for my hottest book tip, it would be Certified Mentalism.

To clarify my first point: by no means am I saying that Certified Mentalism is a book written for beginners, nor is the material contained therein necessarily easy to master. I do however believe that the wide range of practical and well-scripted material will give any budding mentalist both a great repertoire to choose and perform from, as well as fantastic examples of effective structuring. On top of that, several of these routines really drive home the point that what we would regard as a Ďcleverí method is not necessarily the best way to go - instead, Paul uses whatever works best and is most practical for any given situation. The methods are fooling, yet there are no superfluous bells and whistles to be found. I like that a lot.

Any advanced performer will benefit from the book for most of the same reasons. In Certified Mentalism we get to peek inside a working professionalís mind. Paul shares with us routines that have been revised and reworked until they became as streamlined and effective as they could possibly be. All of this, literally every single routine, is workable and impactful. In fact, while reading the book, I kept messaging Paul after almost every chapter I read to tell him how much I loved that one..so much so that I feared he would get annoyed eventually (he did not). 
Paul also does a great job of analysing and explaining why he does certain things a certain way, why things build up the way they do and why his scripting was written one way and not another. In some routines he goes into the evolution it went through, which I believe is always a great learning tool. 

Certified Mentalism is as much a book about practical performance pieces as it is a book about theory and practical experience.

Just now, I went back to the book to see if I could point out my favourites to you. Iím sure you may have already guessed what I am about to say: finding any definite favourites was very difficult as I got excited about every piece all over again just reading their titles.

So for now, let it suffice to say that Iíve been having a lot of fun with The Copenhagen Coverup, which is a remix of a routine we all know (and love); Chess in The Hand, which is very, very simple and straightforward (I love those routines) and features the fantastic Dog Eared Switch; Sharprediction, which you can always have on you to get an extra reveal for free in some cases; Wrong Order, again straightforward and hits hard (plus I LOVE the bold method as well as the subtleties applied. Paul is great at subtleties) and Donít Be Alarmed for its great organic premise.

This has already been going on for a little while, so just one more thing: Standard or Special Edition? I for one am certainly glad to have bought the Special Edition. The Special part features four of Paulís working routines in detail. They are probably routines that you know and maybe use the method for already, so what you find here are Paulís interpretations of these. I have seen Paul perform the Sneaky Rogue live and itís a thing of beauty. So are the other three routines included here. Advanced and professional performers will likely be the ones to benefit the most from this extra material.
That said, I was honestly surprised at how chock full of great material the Standard Edition of Certified Mentalism is. You will not be sorry to have bought the Standard Edition nor will you feel like you missed out. Similarly, you will also not be sorry to have bought the Special Edition - I am glad I did. Considering there is a certain price gap between the two, Iíd be inclined to say that the Standard Edition is a great deal for anyone and will please both hobbyists, beginners and professionals alike, while the extra content of the Special Edition seems to be aimed more at professionals, which is reflected in the price.
Both come HIGHLY recommended.

That was that. Thanks for reading and hope it helped!

All the best,

Timon [/quote]

Nawww thanks Timon, that's extremely kind of you :)

Cheers,

Paul
Special Edition for sale in "Books & lecture notes for sale or trade..."
Without wishing to sound like a grumpy old man, wasnít the last effect in the book ĎSpecial editioní already released on one of Paulís DVD releases ?
I have the standard version and have just finished my first read through and have to say itís been a great read and there are definitely routines both close up and stage I will be using for sure. Iíll give a full review soon
This is indeed a very good book, but for me there is nothing new. I must admit I haven't read it from from front to back yet, but I have read a lot.
If you have Paul's previous releases and live lectures (Alakazam + Penguin) than you already have it all. Including most of the subtleties.
If you don't own the previous releases, I recommend it.
[quote]On Jan 20, 2019, corindaman wrote:
Without wishing to sound like a grumpy old man, wasnít the last effect in the book ĎSpecial editioní already released on one of Paulís DVD releases ? [/quote]

Hi Corindaman,

Yes that one effect in the special edition is included on the one of my DVDs. However, there are nuances in the book even for this routine. However, there is plenty of new material in the book.

Cheers,

Paul
[quote]On Jan 21, 2019, Bartelli wrote:
This is indeed a very good book, but for me there is nothing new. I must admit I haven't read it from from front to back yet, but I have read a lot.
If you have Paul's previous releases and live lectures (Alakazam + Penguin) than you already have it all. Including most of the subtleties.
If you don't own the previous releases, I recommend it. [/quote]

Hi Bartelli,

Firstly, thank you for the kind words. However, there is plenty of new and previously unreleased material in the 'Certified Mentalism'.

There are a few cross-overs with what I have shed in the Live Lectures, but the vast majority of the book doesn't fall into this area. Also for the work that does fall into this category I've provided extra subtleties and developments.

Cheers,

Paul
I decided to make a video review for this. I feel itís flown a bit under the radar; so here are my thoughts good, bad, and ugly.

[youtube]tAx7aUEX_60[/youtube]

Madison
The special edition of this book is top of my wish list for sure. Will hopefully order one once I have the money, sadly its like $170 CAD, plus shipping I'm sure so that'll have to be budgeted with the rest of life. Paul is your site the only place to order a copy currently?

Thanks!
[quote]On Feb 25, 2019, CGould wrote:
The special edition of this book is top of my wish list for sure. Will hopefully order one once I have the money, sadly its like $170 CAD, plus shipping I'm sure so that'll have to be budgeted with the rest of life. Paul is your site the only place to order a copy currently?

Thanks! [/quote]

Yes, this is only available directly from me through my He Knows shop. As a side note it has recently had a bit of an update including some new additions.

Cheers,

Paul
Both editions have received additions?
[quote]On Oct 8, 2019, illusioneer wrote:
Both editions have received additions? [/quote]

My apologies. For clarity, I meant that the shop has had some new additions, not the book.

Cheers,

Paul
God, that is such a relief to hear!! I, too, thought the book had been updated..!

Seth
Just place order for special edition. Looking forward to this one.