(Close Window)
Topic: Best tricks for people with limited dexterity?
Because of nerve damage in my hands I don’t have a lot of fine motor movement in my hands. I can barely shuffle a deck of cards, can’t seem to palm a coin and really struggle to manipulate/lift cards. I’d like to learn some tricks to do close up at tables during receptions. What tricks do you recommend?

Thanks
Bob Adams
Given the limitations of motor movement, I'm going to suggest things like Out of This World and Dai Vernon's Emotional Reaction.

But, you know, this guy convinced me that motor issues do not have to hold you back. https://youtu.be/srdM29mS16M
Take a look at the Card College Light books by Robert Giobbi. None of them involve sleights, and in some cases the spectators do all (or almost all) the card handling for you.

Some of the tricks of the sort you find in magic kits might be useful. With the right presentation, effects like the Money Machine can be quite entertaining - https://www.magicana.com/video/mike-caveney-money-machine (for example).
Wayne Dobson is an English magician who enjoyed great success early in his career, becoming well known in Great Britain through his television appearances. He later developed multiple sclerosis, but has continued inventing magic. Some of his inventions are intended for other performers, but he has also invented magic and collected routines from other performers that he can perform even with the limitations imposed by his condition. You might have a look at "Look No Hands" and "Look No Hands Vol. 2" (also known as More Look No Hands). I haven't read either one (though I own several other Wayne Dobson publications), but they sure sound like something you'd want to look into.
Thanks for that suggestion! I had no idea Wayne Dobson had MS. I was diagnosed several years ago. I'm doing pretty well, but sometimes my body doesn't cooperate, so I'm definitely going to check these out.
[quote]On Dec 11, 2018, danaruns wrote:
Given the limitations of motor movement, I'm going to suggest things like Out of This World and Dai Vernon's Emotional Reaction.

But, you know, this guy convinced me that motor issues do not have to hold you back. https://youtu.be/srdM29mS16M [/quote]
WOW!!!!!
It is always good to put the magic in the hands of the spectator. I have arthritis in my hands so I don't do much full deck magic. (I do some packet card tricks or other tricks involving cards, e.g. lethal tender, but not "card tricks" per se.) I do tricks like cups and balls a lot.
I have had severe hand disability problems for years, leading to exploring alternative methods and creating new sleights.
Typing ebooks/messages is even a problem since I transpose letters a lot from mixed nerve signals (this line had seven errors initially)

For me, the key is confidence in what I choose to do - overcoming the fear that I will drop something or "stall a sleight" or hiccup an essential rhythm.
Thus, a disability can be a reason not to perform a requested effect - never an excuse for doing one poorly.

Advise - give up on card tricks all together. Most are not magical anyway (opinion) and you do need skill demonstration.
Focus on effects (what the audience will remember) using found objects of all sorts that are easier to palm and manipulate such as nuts and candy kisses.

I can do most coin routines using Liwag Subtlety and PalmerClip instead of the recommended Classic Palm or other.
I got involved with the TUC because it can be handled with my disabled hands effectively and wound up creating dozens of new effects for its use. see "T.U.C. Appreciation"

Always look to the desired end result and work backwards to a solution. Since I have difficulty closing my hand to a natural looking fist,
I have created effects based on a "Naked Hand" - wide open and flat with coins fully exposed at all times. (well, apparently exposed)

And (as gomeral hinted) you have an excuse for getting more objects/tricks into the hands of spectators or using "alternative hands" such as purses or containers.
One of my favorite C/S transpo effects (Untouched) occurs in the hands of two spectators and I never touch the two coins at all.

"limited dexterity" does not mean "limited possibilities."

write me anytime for specifics - ken@eversway.com
Check out Juan Tamariz' book "verbal magic" and let the spectator handle the deck and do the magic. As gomerel said, it is always good to put the magic in the hand of the spectators.
I like doing some quasi-mentalism tricks utilizing business card-sized props like one called "Beguiling - Version Two" and Phill Smith's "Stegosaurus," as well as a cute little dice trick called "Mathematical Genius," all of which involve the spectators doing much or all of the handling of the cards, throwing the dice, etc. There is also the whole realm of mentalism itself involving mental gymnastics rather than manual dexterity. And I'll wager that cardicians here on the Café who are far more knowledgeable than I could suggest lots of killer tricks requiring handling methods no more difficult than simply cutting a deck once or twice.
Bob: Check out my books - I don't teach difficult moves...'cause I can't do 'em.
You mentioned what you can't do....it might be helpful to know what you can do. Can you hold out a coin in finger tip rest? Or in Ramsay position? By shuffle do you mean overhand? Table riffle? No shuffles at all? The more specific you are, the more specific the answers can be.

The point is to keep on this journey matching moves and material to your abilities. Some great advice has already been given and there is a lot more specifics available when you make your question more specific in the appropriate forums. However, to throw in some general thoughts, if you can hand a deck to someone you can do a killer trick by Daryl called Untouched. Mentalism gives you a ton of material that relies on subtlety over slight. You might check out these two easy, essentially no-slight mind reading effects by Daniel Garcia. That's at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIJkPAFjcH4

If you join a local magic club you could learn about prop-based tricks that might work for you...from going old school like the Brema Nut to some of the modern precision mechanical and electronic props. There are tons of tricks you can do with limited dexterity....but with ANY of them what you need to provide is the entertainment.
Lots of good response here, and I must echo the earlier mention of Wayne Dobson, an amazing performer & thinker as a to magic. And I still do one of his tricks to this day that is all presentation, check out his “ACAAN...Almost.” Very clever, and the magician never touches the deck, so no sleights to worry about. 😁👍🏽

And again as just mentioned, another wonderful card trick that takes no SOH is Daryl’s, “Untouched.” Just wonderful to perform.

And finally here, a great packet trick that is easy to do and just a bit of creative presentation is Max Maven’s, “B’wave.” I’ve done this hundreds of times for people and it always plays well...nothing to it, just magic!😊. Another one that plays well is “The Princess Card Trick,” fun to do, amazing, and easy-as-pie to do.😉

Nothing hard or challenging here, so you can still deliver good card magic to your advantage. ;)
...Oh and another wonderful trick I’ve been doing for years now along these lines of having no sleight of hand to it is a little trick called “Ultimate Positive Negative,” by John Cesta. Just takes 3 “invisible” coins and a small business card size manila envelope, and you got yourself a very creative, great carry anywhere piece of miracle mentalism. Fits in your wallet and absolutely stuns people! You just have to be able to rip open a small envelope. 😁
My recommendation would be self working or gaffed tricks, these thing require little to no dexterity, yet still have the same (if not better) impact. Also, you could have the spectator do the shuffling for you on some tricks.
"AntronBob" ...
magic sleights.

As you already know; sleights are not mastered by everyone, whatever their years of experience.
Consequently, giving rise to gimmicks and gaffs; very useful for those of us with experience, who still cannot master them.

So ... the question is, which way to go:
perhaps - easy working, professional magic?
forgive me, but I am in the United Kingdom - so these links are uk - and these are only a guidance.

dice:
Badlands Bob
the spectator calls any number on an enclosed dice ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ZjSmJIGf8

coins:
hopping half- sun and moon
the coins hop and disappear in the spectators hands ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM4gKdr1YTU

cards:
x-Act by Mark Mason
prediction card appears at the exact position given by the spectator ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apPc0p75SR0

mentalism:
Day One - by Scott Cram
the human calendar
what day was 11th February 1833?
https://www.lybrary.com/day-one-p-137029.html

I hope in some way this was useful to you ...
PM me for further support my friend

these are some for you to think about ...
let me know your thoughts