(Close Window)
Topic: L&L Publishing - The NEW "Netflix" of magic?
I apologize that I do not remember exactly where I read this today but I saw an article by Jim Sisti. However, I did find a post in another subforum about it that probably won't reach as many viewers. Here is the "Tangled Web" link if you want the original.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=681785#5

Here is the announcement to those who have not seen this incredible idea.

[quote]On Dec 22, 2018, Jim Sisti wrote:
As most of you know, L&L Publishing has a vast library of video instruction by some of magic's most influential performers, including Eugene Burger, Michael Ammar, Tommy Wonder, Johnny Thompson, Alex Elmsley, Max Maven, and the list goes on and on.

Magic Academy.tv is going to be the new way that L&L's timeless material will be presented to current and future generations of magicians in search of the very best in magic instruction. It's a streaming model and for a very modest monthly fee, users will have access, eventually, to every video L&L Publishing ever produced.

The entire library is not up yet but scores of videos are being added weekly. You can check out this "project in progress" [url=https://www.magicacademy.tv/]here[/url].

Thanks for taking a look! [/quote]

L&L has been an absolute mainstay in many of our magic ventures over at least the last 25 - 30 years or more. I learned sooooo many things from their old VHS tapes, to their redone dvds, and the several fantastic books they have published (Many, if not all now available as ebooks at a very affordable price). They have also added their dvd library as video downloads, also at a reduced and affordable price point. I cannot thank L&L enough for the great material they have made available to myself and others over the years. I know that I never would have pursued magic if it weren't for them (and my mentor of many years ago who pointed me away from the "magic shop junk" and towards some top notch tapes like Ammar, Daryl, Eason, Harlan, McBride... just to name a few of my first ones. Eventually, most all went to dvd and eventually many got cut up and merged into the fantastic "World's Greatest" series, Showing many pros doing their version of the same plot. Great idea. :-)

Now, in our age of digital and the world wide web, everyone in the world can get these at a decent price. However, with a digital streaming service, You could sign up monthly and get to pick and choose from this massive catalog??? Are they crazy??? I hope so. Because this is going to be soooo much better than the crud that new magicians are learning from YouTube and hopefully it will not go much over the $9.95 mo introductory rate to let those YouTube "reveal channels" lose subs to a much better taught source.

I think it is a great idea and the price is very reasonable :-) I look forward to this next step in the legacy that is L&L.
So the DVD collection I have spent many years and much money on is now rendered worthless. Sometimes I hate progress. :(
I just hope they will still make DVDs... Otherwise it becomes very hard to run a shop :)

//Dan
I'll subscribe when the materials are live (:
10 bucks a month, and have access to the entire L&L catalog (once it's all uploaded). That's one heck of a deal.
I don't like this idea.
Nor me. I think it stinks quite frankly. A kick in the teeth to those who paid full price for the material.

Thatís progress eh?!
Times are a changing, and companies need to stay profitable. Even Ellusionist moved to this model recently.
If you 'spent years' collecting the DVDs

Your value was having that info/DVDs for years already

AND the lack of value for new customers - is them being old DVDs

Yes that works both ways

I'm sure the DVDs have come down in price a load since they were new/first released, so this is just another price 'reduction'

You bought the DVD, you didn't pay for the right to deny anyone else access... unless of course you are saying they promised at the time not to run a service like this in the future
[quote]On Dec 26, 2018, dyoung wrote:
I just hope they will still make DVDs... Otherwise it becomes very hard to run a shop :)

//Dan [/quote]

L & L have not made any new DVDs in years if your relying on selling old L & L DVDs to make a living you need to look at your business model
I certainly see good and bad in the whole idea of it but there is not much that can be done to change it. Companies must remain profitable and this seems to be the business model that works right now. Just as having Michael Ammar make VHS teachings of many others material (with permission and crediting). I know I paid full price for way too many VHS tapes from L&L just to end up re-buying them on DVD (again at full price) once a "better Medium" than VHS became available. I also bought several BBM DVDs just to watch them go on sale as a "set" a year or so later for more dvds than I had at less than half the price I paid. It happens...

It seems to me that L&L had a bit of a resurgence when they came up with the "Worlds Greatest" series. They already had the stuff shot and formatted to DVD. Now, they just had to dig thru and compile them based on plot / routines. Therefore, if you just wanted to learn a good Chop Cup routine, you could buy one dvd with several great routines to choose from instead of buying several dvds just to pick thru stuff that didn't interest you so you could get to the one chop cup routine that you may or may not use. Now it seems everyone does something similar so they are taking the next logical (and proven) step - Subscription Services.

I do hope it works out. L&L has the rights to so many great teaching videos made by great magicians who are no longer among us. I would hate to see a generation of magicians come up with no idea how good these past masters were. I know that Pre-L&L and A-1 Media (the first 2 "I" remember) It was hard to find a good grainy video of past masters performing, much less teaching. L&L was at the right place at the right time to begin what will probably be the largest magic teaching archive in our lifetime.
I signed up. I like the concept, sort of an ITunes but for magic.

The videos are set up to stream but not be easily downloadable. Not to say that they can't being that the meta data is available to view, but not impossible.

The videos are segmented into acts and explanations so the whole 'dvd' is not being offered in a single view.

Personally I like this idea of 'buying' routines without the need of hard copy disc.
"netflix" yeah?

If they aren't making any new content, or as some say haven't in a long while... surely this is not like 'netflix'

Maybe it's like someone trying to get some money coming in, from long forgotten content - that most ppl probably buy for a fraction of the cost from chinese sites

I don note that shops keep giving big discounts on downloads... 'an amazing 25% off all our downloads' - etc

There just isn't the same value in DL as in DVD's - as you get next to zero sell on benefit. Also it costs the shop nothing to store, or send, DLs. So they cost less to serve.

I would think DL might come down a lot in price [on release] in the next few years. As it's crazy they come out [PDFs / vidoes] around the same price as the physical versions
Plus... it's not like people buy DVD's, copy them to their hard drive, and resell the original on... say magic forums...
Of course the shop isn't surviving solely on L&L dvds. but I do like recommending the Easy To Master series to people... and downloads are the same price as dvds on murphys. And I cant very well charge £30 for a piece of paper with a download link on it.

//Dan
[quote]On Dec 26, 2018, The Duster wrote:
If you 'spent years' collecting the DVDs

Your value was having that info/DVDs for years already

AND the lack of value for new customers - is them being old DVDs

Yes that works both ways

I'm sure the DVDs have come down in price a load since they were new/first released, so this is just another price 'reduction'

You bought the DVD, you didn't pay for the right to deny anyone else access... unless of course you are saying they promised at the time not to run a service like this in the future [/quote]
Fair points. The irony is I will likely pay to subscribe. Upon reflection I think Iíll enjoy having access to my dvd collection from anywhere there is a WiFi signal.
[quote]On Dec 27, 2018, dyoung wrote:
Of course the shop isn't surviving solely on L&L dvds. but I do like recommending the Easy To Master series to people... and downloads are the same price as dvds on murphys. And I cant very well charge £30 for a piece of paper with a download link on it.

//Dan [/quote]
You could turn your back room into a magic cyber Cafť and charge by the hour for people to browse the downloads. Then charge extra for drinks and snacks. Iím also sure people would buy props for tricks they see on the streaming vids. Lots of money to be made there.

Now wouldnít that be awesome!
The site is still in it's early stages of development (and it shows) as I'm finding explanations and not all the performance pieces.

The site itself looks nice but choosing Mentalism (tab) and I don't get a full list of said performances and explanations and found it is better to choose the performer and 'play' from there.

It's still in its infancy and I expect it to grow and improve as time passes. I'm finding enough nuggets to justify the $10 fee.
A lot of the videos arent playing for me, stating that its something to do with the videos privacy settings!
I exited out of the Max Maven video I was watching and went back to the magicians tab and was able to resume playing Max. I also switched back to the magician tab and chose Richard Osterlind and was able to play his as well.

Basic troubleshooting: Have you tried logging out and back in? Have you tried a different browser?

I'm using Firefox and not having any issues.

Hope this helps.
Hi Mike,

You are correct, this is a browser issue. It must be something to do with Vimeo as well. My iPad plays all the videos fine on safari, but my laptop only plays 10% of the videos on chrome. The error message suggests its something to do with the settings on the video itself, so hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Tomas
Good to hear.

This is a new venture and I suspect it will take them a bit of trial and error to work out all of the bugs.
I'll volunteer to be a beta tester (for a fee of course).
Is there any way to see what is available before subscribing?
Iím signed up. Looking forward to the wealth of material.
At the moment, I don't like it. The Videos are alle splitted in parts. One for performance, one for explanation - looks also a little bit confusing. I think, if I could watch the whole DVD, it would be easier. There is of course good content (but actually not so much, as someone may be expected), but I am not seeing me, paying the next month. It would also be nice, if there would be a list, with things new added.
I've found if I choose the magician tab and choose the performer and play from there, the video's play in order. They are still segmented but are set up as performance then explanation for each routine. All you have to do is click next video.
I see good and bad in this from L&L.

I remain open minded.
Thanks for the feedback so far. We are still in the early stages and plan to put a lot more polish to the site. Let us know what you would like to see.
[quote]On Dec 28, 2018, MagicAcademy wrote:
Thanks for the feedback so far. We are still in the early stages and plan to put a lot more polish to the site. Let us know what you would like to see. [/quote]

Would like to see more videos added to the site.

At least the Barrie Richardson material, I've really enjoyed those.
Digital distribution means that the effective cost of production becomes zero, so it makes sense to see people going for long tail sales through discount pricing, bundling, and all you can eat services. In the past warehousing old stock was an expensive pursuit, so at some point it just make sense to junk old stuff - meaning it retained value. With digital goods, they inevitably trend towards a cost close to zero, given enough time.

That said, subscription services tend to earn a lot of money - hopefully this ends up being a revenue generator for L&L such that it justifies the creation of new content.
Thanks for the feedback so far. We are still in the early stages and plan to put a lot more polish to the site. Let us know what you would like to see. [/quote]
There isnít much content up currently to justify the monthly subscription. Please add more and quickly. Iíd like to see more material from:
Daryl
Michael Ammar
Jay Sankey
Dan Harlan
Darwin Ortiz
The Worldís Greatest Magic Series
Did Sankey or Ortiz do any L&L dvds?

//Dan
[quote]On Dec 29, 2018, dyoung wrote:

//Dan [/quote]
Yes, they both did.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2018, Nevets wrote:
There isnít much content up currently to justify the monthly subscription. Please add more and quickly. Iíd like to see more material from:
Daryl
Michael Ammar
Jay Sankey
Dan Harlan
Darwin Ortiz
The Worldís Greatest Magic Series [/quote]
Darwin Ortiz is on there already. But yes, the content is very shallow right now, but you are getting a discounted rate for that reason. A few months down the line Id imagine there will be plenty of content and new subscribers will be paying more while us early birds will be still paying the 9.95 fee.

There is still more than enough content to justify the 9.95, 13 magicians featured including Richard Osterlind, Max Maven, and Barrie Richardson. Most of the magicians have multiple routines available as of right now. If nothing is added but next month, then yeah it will slowly become ®Not worth it®. But right now, Ive paid 9.95 and ive got my moneys worth.

Edit: Just realised you said ®More content®, rather than ®Content®. My bad, yes more Darwin Ortiz content would be lovely, and I'm sure its on the way.
More I think about it, cheaper $9.95 seems.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
More I think about it, cheaper $9.95 seems. [/quote]

Yep! I would expect the price to double once they load all their videos.

Think of it as being a beta-tester with the perk of long term discounted access. Less than the price of a pizza a month.

No brainer for me. ;)
I went to the site and didn't see anything on the home page about it. Where is the link?
I'm speculating.

I'm just excited to see something like this finally arrive. To be fair they don't have any ground breaking videos on there [b]yet[/b] ;and most of the videos are based upon known concepts, but some of the nuggets I found got me thinking about doing things a different way. So there is that.

I looked at it this way. I spend the same amount for IMusic (or whatever it is called) each month so that my Niece can listen to music that I hate. So $10 spent a month for myself where I may find a little inspiration isn't too much to feel guilty about. Besides (speculating) I expect it to continue to grow.

Will we see Max Maven's Nothing? Hmmm maybe... maybe not... it was rather pricey when it came out (I bought it) and it has been a few years.

I have the DVD's (core to me) already and may not find too much on the site that I don't already know. But... you never know.

I'm not associated with L&L in anyway. I'm just excited to see this concept being attempted.
Where is the link?
It needs momentum. The L&L guys need to add more content quickly.
Where is the link to it?
[quote]On Dec 29, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
Where is the link to it? [/quote]

You mean to the site? [url=https://www.magicacademy.tv/]CLICK HERE[/url]
To the offer.
Thank you! That works!!
It would be good to know what their future plan is regarding adding more content. At the moment it feels as though they are making it up as they go along. Subscribers need more certainty.
I would certainly expect some more content by the next billing cycle, otherwise...
Sooner I would say.
Penguin will not be out done! Will be looking for a program like this too.
Think so?
[quote]On Dec 30, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
Penguin will not be out done! Will be looking for a program like this too. [/quote]

I don't think Penguin owns as much content as L&L. I'm not sure what they have to offer outside of Dan revamping another classic magic series.
I love this idea. Iíd been a subscriber to Kozmoís Reel magic magizine, but stopped after a while as I didnít get a lot from it. There was great content, but not easily searched, and not categorized as the Magic Academy site. Iím going to Give it a go.
Are we forgetting about Reel Magic? I wish Lewis the best with new venture. By the way theres a search engine on the Reel Magic site......
Ellusionist has Magic Stream as well. So there's three all-you-can-eat streaming options out there at the moment. Depends a little what you're looking for, but all seem to offer pretty great value no matter how you slice it.
Dan Harlan has just appeared on MagicAcademy.tv
With Harlan, it's always good!

(Value and deal)
[quote]On Jan 1, 2019, Mac_Stone wrote:
Dan Harlan has just appeared on MagicAcademy.tv [/quote]
Yes!!! The L&L team are listening and responding. Great job. :)
In the field of magic learning this is a good new concept - Cheap and affordable. Looks like a new era in magic learning has begun.

With this new trend, one will have a great magic repository at ones disposal . . . anytime, anywhere . . . month after month.

I will be joining soon.

:xmas:
So something very strange has happened. I tried logging in, and it sent me to the subscribe screen.. So I thought maybe I logged in with the wrong email and the website created a new account instead.. But no, I tried with my other email, and I got sent to the same screen.

As of right now, I cant access the videos anymore and whenever I try and log in it says I have an account but Im not signed up.. wtf?

EDIT: false alarm, after logging in with the correct email, it sent me to the subscribe page by default, but I was already subscribed and had to just change to a new page. My bad
Interesting. I join
Looks really cool, I have a few L&L DVDs in my collection but nowhere near the whole inventory. How much is on there currently?
So whatís the deal here? I subscribed. I just logged in and thereís no access to anything. Wtf.
[quote]On Jan 8, 2019, Brian Proctor wrote:
So whatís the deal here? I subscribed. I just logged in and thereís no access to anything. Wtf. [/quote]

I just verified and I'm still seeing everything. Did you get the confirmation email when you signed up?
[quote]On Jan 1, 2019, Mac_Stone wrote:
Dan Harlan has just appeared on MagicAcademy.tv [/quote]

Do you think he wants to add penguin live (or similar format) to the site. If so more like the NETFLIX model. That would solve the new content problem. I like.
I'm just thinking out loud.
[quote]On Jan 8, 2019, vanp8 wrote:
Do you think he wants to add penguin live (or similar format) to the site. If so more like the NETFLIX model. That would solve the new content problem. I like.
I'm just thinking out loud. [/quote]
I can almost guarantee a big NO for that idea. L&L and Penguin are competitors (to an extent). Penguin, as well as most "Legit" magic retailers carry L&L Publishing DVDs that they buy wholesale from either Murphy's or L&L directly (I don't know those kind of exact details). Dan had several dvd (Originally VHS sets that he made for L&L long before Penguin got him). Hopefully Penguin will eventually start their own streaming service along the same lines with the content "They Own" like their own dvds and the ones they bought the rights to along with the Live Lectures. Technically though, they already have their "Live Lectures" on their own streaming service (although a bit expensive IMO. I prefer to just get the few I really want). You can sign up monthly and get all the lectures (plus you get the advantage of "Owning" them by being able to download them for offline and future viewing.
I just wish L&L would get back in the business of actually creating good quality magic again.

They're almost a dinosaur at this point and their website is horrendous.

They use to be the standard others aspired to ... back when there were slick paper catalogs and VHS tapes - and real honest-to-goodness books you could hold in your hands.

Oscar
[quote]On Dec 26, 2018, Nevets wrote:
Nor me. I think it stinks quite frankly. A kick in the teeth to those who paid full price for the material.

Thatís progress eh?! [/quote]

Is it more wrong than paying £15 to see a movie at the cinema, and then a year later seeing it come up on Netflix?

L&L aren't making any new stuff: their entire business is now to monetise their catalogue.

I've bought plenty of L&L stuff in the past, but would consider this.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2018, Tom Cutts wrote:
[quote]On Dec 29, 2018, dyoung wrote:

//Dan [/quote]
Yes, they both did. [/quote]

Sankey's stuff on L&L is excellent.
I was hopeful about this. I own a lot of this on tape and was looking forward to having digital access. There has been little progress made on catalogue, and frankly I am a little surprised it rolled out in such a state. I will give it one more month and then Iím out.
We just posted the following videos!

Classic Force ............... R. Paul Wilson
Comedy Rope Trick ..... Ted Leslie
C & R Rope .................. Dan Harlan
The Classic Force ......... Daryl Martinez
Cups & Balls ................ Al Schneider
Lady Rope Routine ...... Michael Finney
Cup & Ball ................... Daryl Martinez
The Hindu Basket ........ The Pendragons
I subscribed and so far enjoying but it would really be great if they would add DVDs and not just tricks.
It's a great idea and a great price.

There are some, to be expected, growing pains, but overall for $10 it's definitely worth checking out.

Some suggestions in case anyone is interested.

The ability to make a playlist. I watch a lot of magic videos in the background, which I assume is also how a lot of people watch. It would be really uesful to be able to string together several videos that would play back to back.

In the tricks sections, several of the performances are not next to their explanations.

Some way of letting subscribers know when new content is added. As is, one has to search through every page to find out if new material has been added.

Overall I'm happy subscriber and see myself using this resource often.

Best,
Brandon
If you choose the magician tab you can watch all of their videos back to back, but a mixed playlist would be cool too.
Mr. Gainor,

Thanks for that tidbit I didn't know it autoplayed like that. That is a nice feature. Hope they are able to build on it.

Thanks!
Brandon
I think that every major magic company eventually will have to take this route.

It's no secret that the major magic dealers have made a large sum of their money from selling magic to beginners and hobbyists in the past. However, the younger generation will not be as willing to pay for information when it's available for free on sites like youtube. Of course, most of the youtube tutorials are horrible but people who are just getting into magic don't understand that at that point.

I would think twice before buying a lot of magic in the near future as I think this will be the norm in the future and it sucks for us who have spent a lot of money buying dvds and downloads from these companies.
That is an interesting point.

I suppose we have seen the same with Spotify, Netflix & YouTube.

People you are 35 and above remember what it was like to spend a lot of money on DVDs & CDs. Whereas for the younger generation - they would never dream of such a thing. I often wonder where that discretionary spending ends up going instead?

Ironic mustaches, probably.
I've been migrating off of physical media for awhile, so I am excited that magic (not just punter instant download) videos are now available.

I have DVD's on my magic shelf and VHS's in a trunk somewhere. My day job has me moving a lot and packing up books, props, and DVD' seem to grow each move.

I remember (I'm 52) buying storage units/furniture to house all of my cassette tapes and VHS tapes back in the day. Back then it was nice to show off your library but it did take up a lot of space.

I do continue to buy books, but lybrary.com is my go to place for non-collectables. With all the magic videos in the cloud I need not buy yet even-larger external memory drives, and with the bandwidth available today (I remember dial up) streaming is the better option.
How do you all feel this will change the magic landscape?

On one hand, having entire libraries from the world's greatest magicians a (legal) click away is a wonderful thing. The generation that just missed the L&L heyday will now get to see some the best produced instructional videos the community has to over, in the way they are more accustomed to having their content delivered. Magicians like Johnny Thompson and Al Schneider who have entire lifetimes of incredible magic to share with us are now being put in front of new magicians who might not have otherwise had the chance since they aren't releasing material as often today.

But it could also lead to information paralysis where there is so much content to search through and learn that it feels too overwhelming.

What are you guys' thoughts.

Best,
Brandon
Yeah - too much information can be a bad thing.

You can easily become a consumer who is constantly snacking on new information.
I'm sure this will spur some swiss army knife magicians and a few doppelgangers (monkey see, monkey do).

The goal is to find something that may fit your style/character, and even then just be an inspiration to seeing something from a different angle.

I'm finding some nice nuggets to ponder upon and a lot of things;though very cool, does not suit my style.

At the very least for $10 a month it has inspired some interesting thoughts...
"How do you all feel this will change the magic landscape?"

That's a big question, but it's also got to be taken in the broader landscape of what magic is in culture these days, and what youtube and instagram mean in terms of magic moving quickly through communities AND becoming more visual AND being easier to break down for lay people.

I think the right performance approaches for the current landscape are being evolved at the moment, but I don't think they're set in stone. Things are changing, and changing fast.
Does anyone know the best way/program to transfer My L&L DVDs to a hard drive? I am not an expert on this stuff and some way simple would be great.

Thanks for any help.
Generally it is just a click and drag action.

Open the DVD drive, select the folders, and drag them to your designated storage place.

That is how I backed up my DVD's.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2019, King14 wrote:
Does anyone know the best way/program to transfer My L&L DVDs to a hard drive? I am not an expert on this stuff and some way simple would be great.

Thanks for any help. [/quote]
https://handbrake.fr/
[quote]On Jan 11, 2019, MagicAcademy wrote:
We just posted the following videos!

Classic Force ............... R. Paul Wilson
Comedy Rope Trick ..... Ted Leslie
C & R Rope .................. Dan Harlan
The Classic Force ......... Daryl Martinez
Cups & Balls ................ Al Schneider
Lady Rope Routine ...... Michael Finney
Cup & Ball ................... Daryl Martinez
The Hindu Basket ........ The Pendragons [/quote]

More Barrie Richardson, please.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2019, King14 wrote:

Thanks for any help. [/quote]

Look into an app called Aimersoft converter. This will also convert those DVD files into smaller files and take up a fraction of your hard drive space - it comes at a cost though. It will be one long file with no menus. Or you can rip it up into sections.
Could anyone tell me if the subscription allows you to download any videos onto a tablet/device so you can watch while offline on a plane or do you have to steam in real time? Thank you.
The site does not have a download option. Otherwise someone could pay for one month and download the entire library for $10.

There are ways you could save the videos, as there is always a way but for now streaming is the word.
I spend more on starbucks on a daily than the monthly fee...if you look there is also a similar site that allows you to stream your favoirite fitness dvds that cost a lot more than magic dvds....i think its the way to go nowadays...
Had the impression that L&L was going to be adding videos constantly to get their library up based on Sistiís initial post. Even with technicalalities inherent in posting streaming vids, there has been very little outward evidence of effort in the past two weeks other than one major add/update of a few more video segments. The interface is not very user friendly and especially not smart phone friendly. I am rarely on Cafť being critical of any company or anyone, but they released a service that looks half built and it appears that early subscribers are subsidizing it. I think I would be fine with it if the company would just be transparent on what its timeline and scope of content will be. I also hope that they will work on improvements of the contentís org structure and streaming interface on the webpage. But at this rate, with little apparent effort (at least from the consumer point of view; if you are
doing more behind the scenes, please let us know) to show increase in content and with no clarity of what content will be offered, I am concerned that this project will have diminishing value. I realize some will say that for 9 dolllars I have access to a few hundred tricks and that we should be overjoyed. I agree. But thatís not my point. From the announcement, it appeared we were led to believe that L&Lís library would be available by streaming and that thousands of videos were coming and updated weekly. Donít tell me that I am going to get something for my money and then when I donít tell me that I should be happy with what I did get. If that is not the plan, what is the plan? Then at least consumers can decide based on transparent and accurate advertising.

My questions are:
1. Does L&L intend to upload its whole library for subscription or just part of it? If only part, how much specifically?
2. How long will it take? At the rate I have seen of adding content in the last 3 weeks (very little since the initial launch), it will take years.
3. Can we get a detailed update of next steps on the scope of the service?
4. It was said that early subscribers would be locked in at a lower price that they originally signed up for. What is the projected price for later adopters? How long will early adopters have to wait to see significant additions of content?
5. Is the company aware that the org of content on the site is awkward and not device friendly? Any plans for upgrading the website?
One more thing. I want to reiterate that the post above is not meant to be an angry or unfair attack as we so often see on Cafť. I rarely say anything critical whatsoever on Cafť as I hope most people that read my posts will attest, and if I don't like something I usually just keep my mouth shut, right or wrong.

I was initially excited about this project because I have been waiting for it for over a decade, being a prolific customer and fan of L&L products for so many years (at least 25 or so). My recommendation as a consumer of magicacademy is to update its customer base with its plans so we are not left to wonder on our own. Even the front door of the website says "There are over 200 videos available now with thousands on the way added weekly." Well, this statement has been on the website for what, 3-4 weeks? If I am wrong, I will acknowledge it. Is this really going to happen? Or is it half-hearted? Just let us know.

Or maybe there is a technical problem. I just say, let us know what it is.

I guess if I am critiquing anything, it is the communication coming from the actual company itself. For right now, all I have paid is 9.99, so in the short term I have excellent value for my money even with the poorly designed website (IMHO with all respect). But that is not what the company said I would receive, "thousands on the way added weekly."

Final thoughts, I think, considering the content and our art, that $9.99 per month is too low. If I were offering the service (and I know I am not), it would be similar to Penguin's lecture strategy. Buy the cost of a DVD per month (around $35) and get them all via streaming. That will keep the content more exclusive and in the end be just as lucrative for L&L.
The $9.99 is the introduction rate as they work out the bugs and continue to build the site.

I expect they will be adding more as they work out the logistics, and once fully active to raise their rates.

I joined mostly to support the concept as only a few of the video performances fit me.

I have spent more a month for access to technical manuals online (Safari Books) so this remains a no brainer for me.
[quote]On Jan 12, 2019, chosen1 wrote:

Best,
Brandon [/quote]

Nothing will change.

People with a vision and strong work ethic will always find a way. Those people will also realize what it takes to become a great magician and do their research and put the time in.

The rest will continue on as usual but in a different way. Instead of waiting for the next Ellusionist och Penguin release to play with before getting bored on moving on to the next new toy, they will just wait for the next streaming video to be released on one of these new streaming services or on youtube.

The majority of magicians have always been "collectors" who collect new material instead of putting in the hard work. Some of the best and most amazing sleight of hand techniques is between 100 to 50 years old, but how many can do them correctly? VERY few. People get bored quickly and move on to the next thing instead of putting the time in.

Same old, same old.
People have mentioned that the $9.99 price is an introductory rate. Has it been published what the likely non-introductory rate is planned to be? How long does this introductory rate last?
Message: Posted by: disgruntledpuffin (Jan 21, 2019 09:33AM)
[quote]On Jan 20, 2019, lord_wallmotto wrote:
[quote]On Jan 12, 2019, chosen1 wrote:

Best,
Brandon [/quote]

Nothing will change.

People with a vision and strong work ethic will always find a way. Those people will also realize what it takes to become a great magician and do their research and put the time in.

The rest will continue on as usual but in a different way. Instead of waiting for the next Ellusionist och Penguin release to play with before getting bored on moving on to the next new toy, they will just wait for the next streaming video to be released on one of these new streaming services or on youtube.

The majority of magicians have always been "collectors" who collect new material instead of putting in the hard work. Some of the best and most amazing sleight of hand techniques is between 100 to 50 years old, but how many can do them correctly? VERY few. People get bored quickly and move on to the next thing instead of putting the time in.

Same old, same old. [/quote]

Which is fine. There's room for everyone, and no one should feel like their way of enjoying magic is less legitimate than someone elses.

Puff
[quote]On Jan 21, 2019, glennn wrote:
People have mentioned that the $9.99 price is an introductory rate. Has it been published what the likely non-introductory rate is planned to be? How long does this introductory rate last? [/quote]

When they have more material out there I'd join at 9.99 but if its going to cost more than that - I'm out.
I appreciate your thoughts lord_wallmotto, and I can't say that I really disagree with them. Magic is an art with a lot of ways to explore. Some love literature, some love old posters, some love to collect methods and knowledge, some love to perform, some want to make it a career. All of them are valid. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

What I do believe could happen is an interestng numbers game. As you mentioned in your post the "majority" of magicians won't use this material to do anything else other than to "collect it." But the majority is not everyone. I beleive having this incredible material available in an easily digestible way, and a way most understood by the current generation will help inspire a new wave of magicians. It won't be everyone or most or even half, but I do think there will be some. These lucky few will now have the benefit of all the giants whose shoulders we stand on being lined up for them in a pyramid.

There is something to be said for making people put in effort to learn an art like magic. It takes hours and tons of dedication to reach competency. But by making those few first steps easier I think we can stack the odds in our favor that the next, great magicians will have the necessary tools needed to thrive. Going to the gym is hard work. You have to really want it, but if there was a fence around the gym that you had to climb just to get your work out in, even fewer peple would go.

I believe that is where this idea really shines and I'm curious to see how it will play out.

Best,
Brandon
Well, I got an "official" email from L&L yesterday about the site and entry level pricing. I guess they feel they have it ready enough for a "full release". I'm sure there is much more content to come and prices will eventually rise but at least they are satisfied enough to send out an email to those on their list.
[quote]On Jan 31, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Well, I got an "official" email from L&L yesterday about the site and entry level pricing. I guess they feel they have it ready enough for a "full release". I'm sure there is much more content to come and prices will eventually rise but at least they are satisfied enough to send out an email to those on their list. [/quote]

All I received was a notification of payment the other day, was this from L&L directly and not for current subscribers?
It came from l&lpub@aol.com (same as I get my emails from on their non ePub site. It was an introduction to magicacadamy streaming. I actually got it at 7:20pm est on Tuesday eve. The email was a brief description of the service with the starter price. I am not yet a subscriber so I guess it went out to non subscribers as well as anyone on the L&L email list.
Still on the fence. It sounds great but a bit worried about some of the comments on this thread. Thinking I'll wait for further reviews.
Some new additions to the site.

Still, the content already on the site hasn't been updated.
Here are some of my musings .

I'm tempted to subscribe as several L&L titles have caught my eye. I think the subscription service could be a good deal. The only negative I see is that as an amateur sometimes I may go awhile before accessing the streaming videos -- you know, intense periods of magic study when I have the time, followed by long lulls perhaps. All because life's other matters can take priority. I have had annual subscriptions to music sites and found that other matters have taken away time so in the end I paid for a year but rarely used it. There's only so many hours in a day. Nonetheless the initial discount seems worth it ... but not knowing what is available is also leaving me on the fence at the moment. So then getting a 14.95 download (such as the "World's Greatest Magic" series) from L&L with several effects I want and can access anytime seems to be financially optimal in the short run....

Oh what to do?

my proverbial 2 cents!
I've only watched about 10 videos since I joined. I have already been billed twice so from a cost effective approach it isn't that good of a deal, [b]but[/b] me not watching the video's doesn't really matter (as far as time constraints). I joined to support the concept behind this. I would hate to see this fizzle out.

I have found inspiration in a few videos and have bought some props that will make the trick/routine work better for me and my style. I'll eventually get around to watching all their current library, but feel confident that the content will be updated and improved as time goes by.
Hi Mike,

I have the "money magic" from World's Greatest Magic series on my radar. I already have a couple of effects from that DVD but am keen to get the 2$ Bill Tear (Ammar). Can you tell me if that effect is available on the Magic Stream? I'm still thinking just getting the 14.95 download is best bang for my buck - but I seem to have an insatiable urge to buy new stuff -- so maybe the streaming will be better!

Thanks

Phil
I didn't see it and there isn't currently a list of effects.
Thanks Mike.

In the mean time I've done some more searching and found that Michael Ammar also has a video web site, also with a monthly subscription service. (This site has also been posted in the Cafť') The 2$ bill tear is available as a download. Has anyone used this and if so what do you think? Looks like a similar model as L&L streaming site but with ability to purchase single effects.

http://www.worldsgreatestmagic.com/
I have subscribed. I like everything but just wish there was a way to know when they added new content.

Andy
A good friend of mine subscribed after I told him about it. He already owns almost the whole L&L WGM library as well as many regular sets but he says it is worth the money to him to have access to it all 24/7 wherever he is without carrying a dvd case and such on business trips. For $10 a month, he is all in.
I mailed them 14 th february asking how to cancel my subscription after there was no new content since I subscribed. They STILL haven't replied. I cancelled through the Paypal gui.
They have been adding new content each month. I still haven't watched everything (though that is due to time limitation on my part).
[quote]On Mar 6, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
They have been adding new content each month. [/quote]

I had a feeling content wasn't added weekly even though the website says it is.

[quote]MagicAcademy.tv wrote:
There are over 200 videos available now with thousands on the way added weekly.[/quote]
Given my love for L&L videos I recommended the site to a friend who HATED the setup of the site and incomplete videos. In some cases she said they gave explanations without demos or visa vera. She then tried emailing them to get a refund and cancel the subscription after only one day and got an undeliverable notice. Does anybody know who runs the site? I'd like to pass on the info.
[quote]On Mar 14, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Does anybody know who runs the site? I'd like to pass on the info. [/quote]

Try the L & L publishing website email. You can find their email here.

[url=https://web.archive.org/web/20161205123826/http://www.llpub.com/contact-ll/]www.llpub.com/contact-ll/ [/url]
Thanks. She was contacted by an Andy? Who she was able to request the cancellation with. So all is well :)
A few more additions to the catalog and some minor updates to the website. This project seems to be coming along, although at a very slow crawl.

Happy to see some updates, would love to see more substantial and more frequent updates.
Hi guys I'm new here,

Which is a better deal , as I see there 2 sites offering almost the same material, both from L&L I assume

http://www.worldsgreatestmagic.com/collections
https://www.magicacademy.tv/

Hence I'm not quite sure which to sub.
The first link is Michael Ammar's.
Anyone know how I can cancel?
[quote]On Apr 30, 2019, RedDevil wrote:
Anyone know how I can cancel? [/quote]

Did you try emailing support@magicacademy.tv ? Or is it still giving the email undeliverable notice?

Senor Fabuloso's friend had success with contacting the L & L publishing website email. You can find their email here.

[url=https://web.archive.org/web/20161205123826/http://www.llpub.com/contact-ll/]www.llpub.com/contact-ll/[/url]

Cancel through your PayPal account.
[quote]On May 2, 2019, Mac_Stone wrote:

Cancel through your PayPal account. [/quote]

Seriously? Is that true? Sounds more like the Blockbuster Video or Radio Shack of magic than the Netflix of magic if that's true. Let me subscribe and un-subscribe as easily and conveniently as possible. Otherwise...no, thanks.
[quote]On May 2, 2019, BCE wrote:

Seriously? Is that true? Sounds more like the Blockbuster Video or Radio Shack of magic than the Netflix of magic if that's true. Let me subscribe and un-subscribe as easily and conveniently as possible. Otherwise...no, thanks. [/quote]

Cancelling with Paypal is Hard?
I assume there is probably an option under account settings, but I haven't looked.
[quote]On May 2, 2019, mantel wrote:

Seriously? Is that true? Sounds more like the Blockbuster Video or Radio Shack of magic than the Netflix of magic if that's true. Let me subscribe and un-subscribe as easily and conveniently as possible. Otherwise...no, thanks. [/quote]

Cancelling with Paypal is Hard? [/quote]

Hard? No.
Inconvenient? Yes.

And I hate to be inconvenienced.
Well, there does not seem to be an option to unsubscribe on the site...

However, the easiest way is the PayPal route. If you unsubscribe there all payments will stop immediately.

If you have to go the email route there may be a delay...

Seriously? Is that true? Sounds more like the Blockbuster Video or Radio Shack of magic than the Netflix of magic if that's true.[/quote]

To be fair, it was Poof-Daddy's question whether it is "The NEW "Netflix" of magic?" Not in any of magic academy tv's advertising.
The site is the beginning of the end for L&L.

Rest in Peace.
[quote]On May 22, 2019, Mark Timon wrote:
The site is the beginning of the end for L&L.

Rest in Peace. [/quote]

How so? People are more likely to pay a monthly fee to have access to videos than buy videos on a regular basis. Little to no overhead, and no shipping cost.
They may just have a couple tricks up their sleeves yet. :cool:
I just hope they will still make DVDs
Thank you for your interest in the MagicAcademy.tv. I wanted to address a couple questions on this thread.

Regarding cancelling, there are two ways to cancel. The easiest way is to send us an email requesting cancellation. The other is to do it yourself by going to your PayPal or Bank Card account and cancelling by yourself. This second way is a little harder. We are working on making the cancellation process smoother in the future. If you use the email method, we try to check daily for cancellations but if we happen to miss it we will refund you if you incur a payment after the date when you requested a cancellation.

Regarding adding new videos: we have been adding about 50 new videos a month. We are gearing up to increase this in the near future. There are now 365 videos uploaded and many new categories. We are planning some cool surprises which we will announce when they are ready, so stay tuned!

As always if you have any questions please email us at support@magicacademy.tv

Thanks
Andy
I have subscribed to this but I havenít seen in new videos added in the last couple of months. Am I missing something?
...and what are the cool surprises?
I signed up for this when it first came out, and I've been rather disappointed with it so far. A lot of what has been uploaded so far doesn't interest me (I'm aware that on me, not the site). But also there's been near zero communication emails from this site of like "hey we've added these videos/effects recently". I'll probably be cancelling soon.
I was optimistic about this project but it seems to be dead on arrival, would love to see a response from MagicAcademy.
I've been a member since it started, but have not logged in for a couple of months now...
The project seems limited so far. Would be good to hear about future plans.
I was a very early subscriber to this service. Note: *was*. I was a huge L&L fan growing up and always enjoyed the magicians, performance/teaching lecture style format, and the quality of material. This was a very intriguing venture when it first got started. After many months of not much progress, I grew frustrated and tried to cancel. I even found that process hard and had to email support multiple times (often a 1+ weeks with no response) in order to cancel. I finally received an apology and cancellation confirmation, but not the best way to launch a customer-centric streaming platform. I'll give it another shot, but not until the self-service options to start/cancel improve, and the catalog is a bit more robust and organized in a more user-friendly way.
Yeah, I unsubscribed over the weekend. Maybe I'll give it another look down the road.
[quote]On Oct 7, 2019, Steincat04 wrote:
After many months of not much progress, I grew frustrated and tried to cancel. I even found that process hard and had to email support multiple times (often a 1+ weeks with no response) in order to cancel. I finally received an apology and cancellation confirmation, but not the best way to launch a customer-centric streaming platform. [/quote]

You don't say. And people found it appropriate to belittle me when I had the audacity to suggest cancellation could be a little more user-friendly.

Let me reiterate: Make cancellation simple and easy. Don't lecture me (or anyone) about how I can simply go into PayPal and change the settings myself.

In a competitive market, you gotta make it as effortless, painless, and quick as possible or you WILL lose business.
Magicflix is well worth your time to take a look around if you like this type of service. Large catalog and it continues to grow.
It would be great if thy listed the available content.

I would also like to see a free trial.

Magicflix has been doing 30 days.
Master Magic Tricks (magic makers streaming service) has been giving 3 free day trial. (good simon lovell stuff on here)

Any other "streaming" services with a free trial out there? I know Ellusionist has theirs but I'm not sure they offer a free trial.
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, snm wrote:

Any other "streaming" services with a free trial out there? I know Ellusionist has theirs but I'm not sure they offer a free trial. [/quote]

Not really a free trial, but Reel Magic Magazine has a refund policy for their streaming service.

[quote][url=https://reelmagicmagazine.com/refund-policy.html]Refund Policy[/url]

If you sign up and pay for a streaming subscription, you may request a refund for 24 hours after you pay. Contact us to do so.[/quote]

Master Magic Tricks (magic makers streaming service) has been giving 3 free day trial. (good simon lovell stuff on here)

Any other "streaming" services with a free trial out there? I know Ellusionist has theirs but I'm not sure they offer a free trial. [/quote]

I don't see a free trial at all.
Did I miss something,or no more free trial?
[quote]On Nov 4, 2019, Steve Haynes wrote:

I don't see a free trial at all.
Did I miss something,or no more free trial? [/quote]

Me, neither. There was a coupon code but it no longer works.
HAs anything changed? MagicFlix or L&L? Which one to try and why. Looking for reviews of service and content. I have reelmagic already ...so specifically L&L or MagicFlix. Thanks
I dropped L&L's streaming site after almost a year. The content it had uploaded was good, but not of my subject interest, and was slow at adding more content. And the whispers I've heard of MagicFlix on facebook aren't good.
[quote]On Jun 7, 2019, MagicAcademy wrote:
Thank you for your interest in the MagicAcademy.tv. I wanted to address a couple questions on this thread.

Regarding cancelling, there are two ways to cancel. The easiest way is to send us an email requesting cancellation. The other is to do it yourself by going to your PayPal or Bank Card account and cancelling by yourself. This second way is a little harder. We are working on making the cancellation process smoother in the future. If you use the email method, we try to check daily for cancellations but if we happen to miss it we will refund you if you incur a payment after the date when you requested a cancellation.

Regarding adding new videos: we have been adding about 50 new videos a month. We are gearing up to increase this in the near future. There are now 365 videos uploaded and many new categories. We are planning some cool surprises which we will announce when they are ready, so stay tuned!

Thanks
Andy [/quote]
Still waiting for the surprises!
[quote]On Feb 26, 2020, magicmind wrote:
HAs anything changed? MagicFlix or L&L? Which one to try and why. Looking for reviews of service and content. I have reelmagic already ...so specifically L&L or MagicFlix. Thanks [/quote]

I like MagicFlix , the contents and user experience are far better then L&L.

L&Lís last video update is April 2019...
[quote]On Feb 26, 2020, Doric wrote:
[quote]On Jun 7, 2019, MagicAcademy wrote:

Thanks
Andy [/quote]
Still waiting for the surprises! [/quote]
Still waiting 😞