(Close Window)
Topic: Pete Biro died this morning.
After a long battle with complications from a stroke, along with missing his wife, Linda, who passed away a little over a year ago, Pete Biro died early this morning.
So long, pal. You brought beauty and laughter to this world.
R.I.P. Pete.
Sad news.
Rest in Peace
R.I.P. he will be greatly missed here.
Thank you Pete.. RIP
R.I.P.Pete Biro ... you will be greatly missed.
Oh man. He lived a truly magical life. One time I drove to his house to trade magic books. We didn’t know each other well. Just a bit from the Café, once in a while crossing paths at Dean’s Shoppe, and brief encounters at the Castle. But he was so gracious. Rest in Power, good sir.
So Sad, I am, met him in 1969 at the magic convention downtown, He was a creative magician, and hung out with the greats in magic. His job was free lance photography. Traveling the world with pictures. He will be missed.
He did nothing but bring the tide of magic upward. He loved it dearly. I hadn’t seen him in here for a long time, but that avatar of his will be missed.
I first met Pete here in the early 2000s. He was always a wonderful font of information. When I started to travel to Vegas for Magic Live and WMS, we met up and we hit it off famously. About 6 years ago, someone broke into my car and stole my prop bag. Pete instantly called me and asked what I needed. I'm strictly a close up guy and all that was missing was a few decks, sponge balls....but I had lost my favorite Don Alan chop cup. 2 days later, I received one from Pete's collection. The local police eventually recovered my bag with everything intact. When I asked for Pete's address to send his cup back, he insisted I keep it. Now THAT cup is my favorite chop cup.
That's what kind of guy he was.

All of us who knew and loved Pete owe a huge debt of gratitude to Scott Jenkins. Scott had stepped in a few years ago and visited Pete very often and helped him so much, especially after Linda had passed.

RIP Uncle Pete, you will be sorely missed.
My only contact with Pete was by email. One day he contacted me about his planned book on Linking Rings. He wanted it to be complete,
and mentioned several Posts of mine about effects/move. He said, "I can't do that." He still had a desire to learn and I was pleased to help.

We had several chats after that on other tricks and methods. He apologized over his typing errors, saying,
"I made a lot more mistakes than that on stage but nobody cared."

I learned a lot.
And May He R.I.P.
R.I.P. Pete:

You were one of the greats.....and you will be missed.
I had just driven from Chicago to Boston, with a station wagon full of Magic Inc. "stuff" for their dealer booth at the '74 SAM Convention, + Ali Bongo, his mother, Walter Gydesen, and, our luggage. On the sidewalk was Pete, with some friends. He was doing "Esoteric", in the morning sun! I hadn't met Pete, but, it didn't take long!

We enjoyed nearly 50 years! Yup! I'll miss him. RIP, Pete.......
What a great loss to our community. Pete was one of the greats and always so helpful to many here. R.I.P. Pete.
Tragic news. I loved his posts here on the Café. A legend. RIP Pete.
Definitely a tragic loss to the magical community. Pete will be sorely missed, yet he left a great deal of magic behind to carry his memory.
Oh my. I didn't see this topic until just now. I was reading Pete's excellent Linking Rings book less than 2 hours ago.

Rest in Peace, Pete.

Mark
Oh, now another one. Sad. I'll pray for you Pete.
Wow. He was roughly a generation older than me when I first met him in 1971. He was a truly natural performer and comic. Later I found out he lived right across the street from me! I seem to remember that his parents were performers; I think they may have been jugglers, although I may be a little off. Sometimes he would come up with a variation on a trick that would fool me. One truly vivid example was the time he came up with a rising card that seems to slice right through his forefinger as he was holding the deck upright as it was facing the audience. Anyway, I’m sure he will be missed by some of the old timers.
So sad to hear this. Pete was such a great guy and always a wealth of information. He will be missed and always respected.

RIP my friend.
He always had such wonderful, insightful, and knowledgeable posts here in the Café. He’ll be greatly missed.
Speechless. :(

I have truly lost another friend...

Doug
Very sad. Enjoyed reading his posts. Once his Linking Rings book was released, I bought it immediately. A great book to add to your collection.
Sorry to hear that. Great guy. Corresponded with him and he was always helpful and positive. Loved his Genii column way back. He did professional photography for car magazines. World traveler and encyclopedic knowledge of magic.
I felt as if I knew him personally, just from his posts and pms in the Café. His history in magic goes way back; and he will be missed by many many folks in the worldwide magic community. RIP to a legend. Lynn
So sad to hear. What a kind and helpful man he was with all things magical.
I first knew Pete at the Oakland Magic Circle. He had not been up for several years but always answered emails quickly and was filled with info on the Café. He was so much fun to watch do magic as you can on his website. http://pete-biro.com/tricks/
His books are invaluable and I think that Byron Walker has copies of most of them.https://www.byronwalkermagicbooks.com/
The past year had been a tough one for Pete and the losses in the magic world have been difficult with Ricky Jay , Moi-Yo Miller, Harry Anderson, Scott Alcalay, and Wayne M. Rogers among others. May they all keep amazing each other some magical place we don;t know.'
So sad. He was one of the Wise Men here. Always generous with his advice. Will be missed. RIP

Fortasse
I met Pete at the Castle. We had a scheduled dinner there as a group, then on to the shows.
Sorry to know he passed away.

RIP Pete!
I met Pete Biro at the IBM Convention in Little Rock, Arkansas, back in 1975. That was the year that Terry Seabrooke came to the US for the first time. I had just made the decision to go into magic full-time. I was very impressed by Pete's persenality and his willingness to be helpful. I ran into him several times after that, notably at the various incartnations of the Convention formerly known as the Desert Magic Seminar, and some of the IBM Conventions.

If it had not been for Pete Biro, there probably would never have been a Cups and Balls Museum. In 2003, when Ted Lesley was doing his lecture tour in the US, I was his driver, roadie and manager. I already had a modest cup collection, about 25 sets, but they were quite disorganized. We stopped at Stevens Magic Emporium in Wichita, KS, and I saw a Pete Biro Galli-Galli cup. Just one cup. I asked Joe Stevens about it, and he said that it was a Pete Biro product, but it was no longer available. However, he would see if there might be some way to get a set of them. He made a phone call to Pete. A week or so later, a set of these cups appeared at my house. Pete had sent them to me. I think they may have been the last set he had left from the first batch. Of course, later they were produced by RnT II.

When the cups and balls bug really bit me, I purchased many of the sets Pete put up on line. He gave me all sorts of info about the cups -- who made them, who performed with them, various sources of literature, and he also introduced me to a lot of people I would never have met.

Leter, he helped me get a chance to lecture at the Magic Castle, and also to get involved in the big Cups and Balls weekend at the World Magic Seminar. He and Bill Wells put that whole thing together. I was like a little kid in a fantastic toy factory with the people that made the toys do what they were supposed to do.

Pete knew everyone in the business, and he was willing to help other people learn how to do the things they wanted to do.

I'm very sorry he is gone. I'm very glad that he was my friend.

I will miss him. I'll think about him every time I pick up one of the cups that I got from him.

He was the brains behind a lot of things that many of us take for granted.

R.I.P. Pete!
I had the pleasure of hanging out with Pete on numerous occasions at Dean Dill’s barbershop . A true brother in the magic world and one of the truth thinkers of magic. He made his contribution anytime you can create a trick for magicians like Fred Kaps you’re in another league .Will miss you Pete
Good to see you, Bill.

Wishing you all the best for the new Year.

Sean
What a terrible way to start a new year.

He was a real 'source'.
He shared some fine Juggling Moves(!), with me!

,..and such a good guy.
Always on 'the bright side'....

Such a sad,..terrible news.

,.....hopefully someone throws a roller-skate key,
in his coffin.
gallagher
RIP Pete, you are missed.
Same to you, Sean!

[quote]On Jan 2, 2019, fortasse wrote:
Good to see you, Bill.

Wishing you all the best for the new Year.

Sean [/quote]
I never had the opportunity to meet Pete, but I have grown to love his posts — always helpful and kind. I was shocked to read of his passing in Vanish Magazine.
The Wizarding World has lost one of it's greats.
How sad to hear this news. Pete was a great guy, always very helpful and knowledgeable. He'll be missed.

I love reading the posts from people that knew him a long time. Thank you for sharing more stories that show what a great guy he was.

Rest in peace Pete.
Just seeing this now. sad. #RIPPeteBiro.

He sold me a vanishing bird cage several years ago with Al Koran's sheath.

He will be missed.

D
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jan 23, 2019 10:32PM)
Pete was an absolute delight. My wife and I met him at Dean Dills place as well. He will be missed.
Good magic to all,
Eric
That's sad news. I just saw this at Genii's February issue. He was very kind person and always ready to help fellow magicians. I truly miss him. R.I.P. Pete Biro.