(Close Window)
Topic: Uses for Muscle Pass
Hi, I was wondering what are some routines that use the muscle pass. I just got it to about a foot, and my local magic shop owner just shakes his head when I do it and says its good for nothing and in the time I wasted learning it I could have learned something useful like a palm swich. Are there any routines you guys can think of I can show him to make him change his mind. Thanks
Of course you know of the anti gravity, many people use it as a sleeving method, this works really well. I came up with an idea based on the routine Tweesers from "The Book: Or Don't Forget to Point", where you pretend to throw something from the tips of the tweesers into the left hand, it turns into a coin as it flies across.
Reed McClintock has a couple of routines using it, also check out the routine in October 2002s issue of MAGIc, a through the hand penetration, usin the muscle pass. I have a few more ideas, which I may tell, once properly worked out. Till then,
Owen
Right now I'm using Joshua Jay's remote control act and I use it to "rewind" the coin trick (before I do the remote routine). I usually just use it during a coin routine to talk about coins that fall up. I was working on a routine based off of Arthur Trace's card routine Turning the Room Upsidedown (or something of that sort).
The MP serves me well in my "No matter hard I try I can't do the muscle pass" routine. It's a very entertaining routine, suitable for humorous home movie clips, and America's Funniest Videos. In it, I sit for 30-40 minutes at a time, or until my hand hurts so bad I'm all done with magic for at least the next 48 hours, trying to launch a coin skyward, but getting little more than a half-a##ed roll over in my throbbing and cramped hand. I really project an air of pain and frustration... it's almost scary how sincere I look!

Yes sir! That's one of my classics :)

Best,

Mike
In my opinion, the muscle pass is best used in penetrations. I do a very visual coin thru spectator's hand. I read it in a magic magazine.
I very like the MP, Shoot Owaga also have a lot of ideas with the MP, like one hand coin vanish, sleeving.....
It is very useful skill and looks cool.
There is an excellent "teleportation" trick using the muscle pass that never fails. PM me and I'll tell you about it!
If you do a coin & pen routine, here's an idea I use within my routine...

Hold the cap between the first and second fingers with the opening facing your opposite hand, and from this position MP a coin from the hand that holds the cap- this creates the perfect illusion of a coin jumping out of the cap.

PS if this is too revealing I'll delete it?
Then again if you didn't know what a muscle pass was you'd be left confused anyway!
Message: Posted by: Chris "linkster" Watson (May 13, 2004 03:20AM)
Perpetual coins from hand. Do a coin roll in your left hand and let it drop into your right hand as this coin drops muscle pass the coin you have been hiding in Kaps/malini subtlety in your right hand into your left. The coin falling from your left hand should mask the coin being secretly MP'd up. Also good for a both hands empty display during a spellbound routine. Check out Cultural Exchange 1 & 2 for a few more ideas.
[quote]
On 2004-05-09 14:44, WildStone wrote:
I sit for 30-40 minutes at a time, or until my hand hurts so bad I'm all done with magic for at least the next 48 hours, trying to launch a coin skyward, but getting little more than a half-a##ed roll over in my throbbing and cramped hand. I really project an air of pain and frustration... [/quote]

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time, mostly because I've "been there, done that." Thanks for the laugh!!

Greg
[quote]
On 2004-05-09 13:36, cardman1990 wrote:
Hi, I was wondering what are some routines that use the muscle pass. I just got it to about a foot, and my local magic shop owner just shakes his head when I do it and says its good for nothing and in the time I wasted learning it I could have learned something useful like a palm switch. Are there any routines you guys can think of I can show him to make him change his mind. Thanks
[/quote]

Your magic shop geezer is a fool. The MP is soooo versatile its untrue. Check Shoot and Apollo's CX DVDs. They use it for sleeving, ditching and productions to name but a few uses. As for effect, just performing a standard MP in JC's [i]Coin That Falls Up[/i] kills laymen. Out of curiosity (if that's how you spell it) can your magic shop guy do a MP, or did he give up a long time ago when he realized it took practice?
SHAZAM
He can do it, but doesn't because he says its not too practical. I did it today in front of a guy and his eyes popped open.
[quote]
Check Shoot and Apollo's CX DVDs. They use it for sleeving, ditching and productions to name but a few uses. As for effect, just performing a standard MP in JC's [i]Coin That Falls Up[/i] kills laymen. Out of curiosity (if that's how you spell it) can your magic shop guy do a MP, or did he give up a long time ago when he realized it took practice?
SHAZAM
[/quote]

Do these videos actually show you how to MP? I've read a lot of online descriptions of how to do it, am willing to put in the time, but would love to see a video with some close ups on how to do it.
No, they don't really, get Ammar's [i]Classic Renditions vol 1[/i] if you wanna learn it from a video. John actually teaches it as well as a way to fake it if you can't do it.
http://www.coinvanish.com has quite an extensive tutorial on the MP thanks to Dan Watkins...go read that, that's where I learned it and have never had a problem sinse. There's demo vid there also if I remember correctly.

You may also want to look into Kainoa Harbottle's finger tip MP for a way to shoot the coin FLAT without the rotations for use in a 3 fly or other application. Can be found in Coins on Edge by him. If you talk to him, tell him Justin said Hi.
I have an entire segment of my performance based on John Cornelius' Coin Falls up. It a very popular part of my show.
One of the best uses for a muscle pass is Akira Fujii's Click Pass, published in Genii a few years ago.
[quote]
On 2004-05-09 13:45, owen.daniel wrote:
also check out the routine in October 2002s issue of MAGIc, a through the hand penetration, usin the muscle pass. I have a few more ideas, which I may tell, once properly worked out. Till then,
Owen
[/quote]

I would like to know a little more about this effect because I had a through a spectators hand effect called "coins through borrowed hands" which appeared in my one man issue in the trapdoor issue 54 this first hit print in 1994 the method was the muscle pass. thanks
Joe Rindfleisch
I saw a video demo of a guy 'tossing' a coin through a door (with glass window) using the MP. It was very visual and very cool looking. I don't remember who or where I saw it though...
Joe,
I am not really at liberty to describe the working of the routine. Maybe if you can contact Mr.Stenburg, the creator of this method, then he will describe it to you. As far as I can remember, the coin is taken under the spectators hand, it is hit against the back of their hand, and at the same time the coin appears on their palm. They feel the coin go through.

Sorry I can't be more specific...
owen
If you are being mugged you can hit them in the eye with a muscle passed coin and then give them a good swift kick in the...
Larry,
Great idea! How do you think that this special technique could be worked into my close-up show? Maybe if there was a heckler in the audience, then it might be aplicable. Get them up on stage and then continue to perform the NMP (Ninja Muscle Pass).
On the other hand maybe an equally rediculous suggestion, would be to practice trying to MP coins into a drinks machine (as in the bit where the coins go in)...I think that would take considerable practice. For now I think I will just make do with firing into the purse!
owen
Owen,
You should write a book about your ideas. I would entitle it "Coins As Weapons"
Larry,
Good title, maybe we should get Ricky Jay to write it, as the sequal to his book "Cards as Weapons"!
Owen
Shoot uses it to produce a coin from just the empty coin-purse frame when he's doing that routine.

R. Paul Wilson uses it in a coin through table routine.
There are some great ways to use the coins to transfer a coin from hand to hand invisibly. (Shoot's Coins to glass routine)

A friend of mine has come up with a nice application but he hasn't worked out the kinks yet, so I can't spill the beans, but he has come up with some cool ideas with these move. and from a card guy no less. ;)
"Coins as weapons" That is actually the title of my last set of notes to come out a few months ago. ***, I thought that I was being clever.
C
[quote]
On 2004-06-09 18:22, Spydur wrote:
"Coins as weapons" That is actually the title of my last set of notes to come out a few months ago. ***, I thought that I was being clever.
C
[/quote]
You were. Great minds think alike.
Just back from Dean Dill's Shoppe where Shoot did over an hour of stuff... many many killer items, many using the muscle pass in totally untraditional ways.

Really magical stuff.
I think I need a haircut.
With maybe a dozen magician's watching Shoot... NOBODY was interested in a hair cut.
I do a french Drop to get the Coin in position, then as they look at the empty hand I use the MP to send the coin into a topit for complete vanish. MP = less handmovement + more accurate! worth a try.
in Magic
Steve Dela
Steve,
didn't know that you did the MP...
Owen
[quote]
On 2004-06-11 12:03, Steve Dela wrote:
I do a french Drop to get the Coin in position, then as they look at the empty hand I use the MP to send the coin into a topit for complete vanish. MP = less handmovement + more accurate! worth a try.
in Magic
Steve Dela
[/quote]
This very closely resembles the "reason" my mentor taught me to use the MP. Very effective and he does it well... I do not use a topit, but love the move regardless.
Hi Owen, I didn't do the muscle pass untill I saw you do it and I thought I should learn just for the hell of it!, I can't do it very well upwards but can do it great sidewards!
hope all is well mate?
all the best
Steve Dela
Steve,
Good to see that I have inspired someone...Check out an idea I posted in the Triple Dare forum, I would like to see what you think.
When I next see you maybe we can do some sort of joint muscle pass sort of routine!

To the rest of you...Do you know any two person muscle pass routines?
Owen

I have had quite a few ideas using the muscle pass, in the majority of them the MP is used as a secret move as opposed to an open aplication, where the spectator's see the coin(s) flying.
Several of them are ideas for the Jardine Ellis ring.
If you would like to know about the ring ideas, PM me!
Owen
This is great! The MP actually being talked about and used how Buckley described its use. It was so nonchalant in his P&D book.

~Craig
James Cielen create the muscle click pass shortly after Cornelius made a “coin fall up.” Cielen uses it for his coin across routine. You can see his routine on “Coin Classics 2.”

The MP is used for vanishing, producing and loading. What an incredible versatile weapon.