(Close Window)
Topic: Avalanche by Paul Harris
Examinable BLANK DECK! No way!!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S26204

Ad copy:

"This is the best blank deck routine I've seen - the reactions I've been getting from AVALANCHE are some of the strongest I've ever had!"
- Paul Romhany

Paul's JOYOUS new EXAMINABLE Gimmicked Card Case starts off with...

THE AVALANCHE BLIZZARD

Instantly transform your cards into an examinable BLANK DECK... with NO DECK SWITCH!

EVERY pro we've shown this to has replaced their old Blizzard with AVALANCHE... as it's the easiest, most convenient, most direct Blizzard effect you can do.

(We even give you a full deck of blank cards!)

And there's even MORE SECRETS buried in your AVALANCHE...

WITH A NORMAL DECK!

THE AVALANCHE PERFECT FORCE:

Do an absolutely perfect worry-free force... with the deck held by the spectator! She just hands you ANY card from the normal deck... and the deed is done.

THE AVALANCHE REAL-DEAL VANISH:

Drop the spectator's card onto the deck... and the card is instantly gone! It's really genuinely completely freaking no longer in the deck... which can be immediately examined.

THE AVALANCHE NO-PALM CARD TO ANYWHERE:

After you've vanished her card... the spectator SCREAMS... when she discovers her card in her pocket or under a phone!

THE AVALANCHE SUPER EASY CARD SWITCH:

No double lifts, no palming, no extra anything. Simple display the card... drop it onto her hand... and now it's a different card!

* The AVALANCHE Gimmick is completely self-contained inside the card case... which can be fully examined inside and out when in the "locked" position.

* Use the AVALANCHE case as your normal everyday card case. It looks and feels like a normal case. No reset needed... so it's always ready to Astonish.

* No extra bits or pieces to add or ditch. It's all secretly built into your AVALANCHE case.

No card skills required. Anyone can learn to AVALANCHE in under 3 minutes!

AVALANCHE: Complete with self-contained examinable card case, tutorial download and a full deck of blank face "Blizzard" cards.

TRIGGER THE AVALANCHE TODAY!
Who has ever displayed a card like that looks totally dodgy
I love Paul Harris, but saying that "it really is the perfect force" is just silly.

Mike
The link is not working
Obi Wan would laugh at that force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBEuYSS66SU
Looks like an update on Paul Harris's half-moon principle from the True Astonishments boxed set.
Is the link working for you guys
How many card faces are shown in the Avalanche routine?
[quote]On Jan 7, 2019, Cardmagic12345 wrote:
Is the link working for you guys [/quote]
No
It seems like an ungimmicked switch would seem more natural but this is just my opinion
Strange. It was there earlier. Guess it is a secret right now...
Could that ghastly force be the reason Penguin killed the listing for the effect? Or is it unrealistic to think a trick could ever be SO bad that a retailer might pull it?
The link is dead. Canít view anything.
It's French. Google Chrome may offer to translate https://www.magicdream.fr/avalanche-paul-harris.html
[quote]On Jan 7, 2019, Dave the Knave wrote:
It's French. Google Chrome may offer to translate https://www.magicdream.fr/avalanche-paul-harris.html [/quote]
Thanks!
If the box can be really examined right after the force, it is quite good.
[quote]On Jan 7, 2019, TimothyMa wrote:
[quote]On Jan 7, 2019, Dave the Knave wrote:
It's French. Google Chrome may offer to translate https://www.magicdream.fr/avalanche-paul-harris.html [/quote]
Thanks!
If the box can be really examined right after the force, it is quite good. [/quote]

I know what your point is but the fact that we are even talking about examining a "card box" after FORCING a card should speak volumes here. I agree with some of the comments above very unjustified placement of the card on the card box to show a card and at that less than a third of it. I agree the box and the gimmick and for that matter Paul Harris I am a fan of but the application here seems very un natural to me. Yes maybe through patter you could justify it but even at that it seems awkward to me. This device seems well made and very clever but I would put on my thinking cap and try and use it in a different way than shown in this video.

My 2 cents spent
Here's an alternate link: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/paul-harris-presents-avalanche/
Avalanche looks extremely similar to another product I own that was released a few years ago called Void by Skulkor. They both force a card utilizing the box and both have unnatural looking displays as some people have pointed out. I picked up Void after watching an episode of the Wizard Product Review where Dave and Craig raved about it and both gave it a 90% (which still baffles me). There was a lot hidden in the Void trailer so I had no idea what to expect. Had I known I would have never purchased it because it was a huge let-down that went into the drunk drawer. Dave and Craig were definitely in the minority with their glowing review because every other review I saw was negative.

Kudos to the PHP team because the Avalanche trailer is a lot more honest and revealing and while the concepts are extremely similar, it looks like Avalanche may offer a few minor improvements over Void. At the end of the day I'm still not a fan of this particular method and handling so I'll be passing on this one, but I do wish the PHP team success on this release.
I think you have to look past the video demo. That is only one application.

The move can be justified.. have a card selected and casually place it on the box.
ĎIíll turn my head and you must remember the cardí - perform the move.
By turning your head youíre making it appear as though the box is also making it difficult for you to peek.

However, having the deck turn blank doesnít fit this routine best. Just think outside the box a little and this could be useful.

Joel

(Ps did you spot the terrible pun?)
This seems to be unavailable everywhere now... Any clue if it will be back?
It was a pre-order item when I first saw it. So, I guess any time now.
Any update on this?
I talked with a magic shop owner and he said he had a few units at intial release. If anyone has one, I would love to purchase it from you
Wonder why they are not selling it anymore...
I also wonder. Super sad as personally I thought there was a lot of good possibilities with this.
It's strange that you can see the tutorial link here:

https://www.murphysmagic.com/phpresents/
Looks like it's finally out now. Yay, I was worried that they just took it off the shelf.
I thought this may have potential at first glance, but this thread is giving me second thoughts.
I just received an email from the Magic Warehouse about this. I wish there was a straight forward full performance video.
Good lord even the most gullible layman can figure this one out
Is it just me? I have NO IDEA what this thing does apart from allow you to force a card in a REALLY weird way.
[quote]On May 29, 2019, Ross W wrote:
Is it just me? I have NO IDEA what this thing does apart from allow you to force a card in a REALLY weird way. [/quote]

They have a massive overstock of blank decks. Letís call it Avalanche.
[quote]On May 29, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Is it just me? I have NO IDEA what this thing does apart from allow you to force a card in a REALLY weird way. [/quote]

They have a massive overstock of blank decks. Letís call it Avalanche. [/quote]

😂

Agreed! Blizzard is a great trick. Having a "force" helping box just to have a gimmick......there are so many more natural ways to force a card.
Iím sure thereís been plenty of things out that accomplish the same thing using a card box. Iíve seen 2 in the past that allow the spec to peek the card on the box, I know this lets you slide it off a bit more but it doesnít seem very unique. Iíve havent bought it, maybe the gimmick is really good quality, who knows?
So far, after the initial thrill died down, this is falling flat for me. So far, at least, until I see some glowing reviews.
Potentially a good option to make a forced card disappear from a deck, which I could have a use for. Anyone know if it's possible to change the 'force' card?
[quote]On May 31, 2019, spaceman-sam wrote:
Potentially a good option to make a forced card disappear from a deck, which I could have a use for. Anyone know if it's possible to change the 'force' card? [/quote]

That is in my view one of the strongest uses for this and the tutorial covers it.

Imagine showing them the card putting it back on top of the deck and its gone, they can look at every card in the deck there is nothing there it is gone not stuck to another card etc it is actually gone from the deck.

It can then reappear anywhere you want. I don't normally like non signed card to impossible location but as the vanish is so strong it works with this.

You also have other uses for this as shown (blank deck routine, writing appears or changes etc) so its not just one trick which is great.

The force can be changed in seconds and you can make your own forces up very easily in a few minutes.

I did this for a magician in the shop the other day and he thought there was a card magnetised to the box, I handed him the box he examined it inside and out and found nothing, so I know 100% this will pass in the real world.

This is way better than you are all thinking, but you won't believe me so just wait for the reviews from those that actually bought this.

You can pick your up here https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/paul-harris-presents-avalanche-blue--gimmick-and-online-instructions--by-paul-harris--trick.html
Horrible force.
I like the use of this thing for the card to impossible location. That application looks very clean. I don't see a problem placing the card on top of the box, if you're already holding the box it's natural to put the card there (we do the same thing when holding a deck, this is literally no different in the eyes of the audience/spectator to that, I think the nitpicking here in this thread has to do with the simple fact that we usually replace the card on top of the deck we are already holding and thus we are use to that, to a lay audience this really makes no difference).
[quote]On May 31, 2019, Saturn UK wrote:
Potentially a good option to make a forced card disappear from a deck, which I could have a use for. Anyone know if it's possible to change the 'force' card? [/quote]

That is in my view one of the strongest uses for this and the tutorial covers it.

Imagine showing them the card putting it back on top of the deck and its gone, they can look at every card in the deck there is nothing there it is gone not stuck to another card etc it is actually gone from the deck.

It can then reappear anywhere you want. I don't normally like non signed card to impossible location but as the vanish is so strong it works with this.

You also have other uses for this as shown (blank deck routine, writing appears or changes etc) so its not just one trick which is great.

The force can be changed in seconds and you can make your own forces up very easily in a few minutes.

I did this for a magician in the shop the other day and he thought there was a card magnetised to the box, I handed him the box he examined it inside and out and found nothing, so I know 100% this will pass in the real world.

This is way better than you are all thinking, but you won't believe me so just wait for the reviews from those that actually bought this.

You can pick your up here https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/paul-harris-presents-avalanche-blue--gimmick-and-online-instructions--by-paul-harris--trick.html [/quote]

Thought you might have a boat load in stock. :rotf:
I am indeed anticipating the reviews.
[quote]On May 31, 2019, Saturn UK wrote:

You can pick your up here https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/paul-harris-presents-avalanche-blue--gimmick-and-online-instructions--by-paul-harris--trick.html [/quote]

It would be good to understand how quickly a new force card gimmick can be made up please?

Thanks
Brandon David & Chris Turchi are with me live right now to talk about Avalanche https://www.facebook.com/MurphysMagicSupplies/videos/308777543343351

You saw them in the trailer and now they're here to answer any questions you might have about Paul Harris' latest release!
[quote]On May 29, 2019, magicmind wrote:

Agreed! Blizzard is a great trick. Having a "force" helping box just to have a gimmick......there are so many more natural ways to force a card. [/quote]

I agree with that.

Why the hell do I have to put the card on the cardbox?
I mean, Paul Harris has already marketed many better magical things than Avalanche.
Where is the difference between "Void" by Skulkor and Avalanche?
Is not that the same gimmick?
Well, maybe not 100 percent but 99 percent, right?
Catch the replay of my chat with Brandon David and Chris Turchi to get ALL the details about Avalanche!

[youtube]Yg8QKI_RULQ[/youtube]
Watched the interview, still not convinced this is a worker. Just another deck you have to carry around (and not a card box I would carry anyway) to do a "force" when you can accomplish it 100 other ways. Paul is a great thinker and creator, but I believe he also likes creating fun little gadgets and gaffs that are simply "magician" toys. This is one of those. Doesn't make any sense in the "working" magicians world.
Every magician that carries a deck of cards with them also carries a card case. If this card case doesn't get in the way of anything, I see no harm in having it. At some point, it may come in handy!
[quote]On Jun 6, 2019, threadman77 wrote:
Watched the interview, still not convinced this is a worker. Just another deck you have to carry around (and not a card box I would carry anyway) to do a "force" when you can accomplish it 100 other ways. Paul is a great thinker and creator, but I believe he also likes creating fun little gadgets and gaffs that are simply "magician" toys. This is one of those. Doesn't make any sense in the "working" magicians world. [/quote]

I still think this offers a nice way to vanish a 'selected' card from a deck that can be examined by the spec, rather then seem vanished.
I think this is terrific. So many different applications and routines are possible.
Most forces to me are a bit suspicious. Maybe I just feel spectators know its really not a free choice with the weird selection methods.

Ex: ďiíll rifle down the deck and tell me when to stop?Ē Why not spread the deck and let them choose freely?

Now if I had a killer classic force, I would feel differently. So I think a very natural and clean selection of a card is a fair trade off with putting the card on a box.

Id rather sell the reason of putting the card on the box, then some dodgy, overused force.
Taller8 , you make a very great point there and I really hadnít thought of it in that context .
These seems it may have potential at least on certain occasions , best wishes Gaz 🙂
Watched the trailer on Penguin, pretty disappointed. All you see is performers spreading blank cards, why not show the routine? I have Blizzard so know the workings but this trailer does nothing to push me to purchase. Seemed they pushed the box force more than the actual effect and definitely not a force I would use, and why would I show a spec a card with the word force on it, might prompt some questions. "Why does that card say force on it?" Me: "Oh that is the card I made you take" Will save my money and find something that is worth $35! This is definitely not it!
Putting a card on top of a card box isn't suspicious to me at all. Carrying a card box with cards in it isn't either LOL. I'll be picking this up.
With respect fcchief1 you havenít read the thread or read the effect description through imho Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Jun 6, 2019, fcchief1 wrote:
Watched the trailer on Penguin, pretty disappointed. All you see is performers spreading blank cards, why not show the routine? I have Blizzard so know the workings but this trailer does nothing to push me to purchase. Seemed they pushed the box force more than the actual effect and definitely not a force I would use, and why would I show a spec a card with the word force on it, might prompt some questions. "Why does that card say force on it?" Me: "Oh that is the card I made you take" Will save my money and find something that is worth $35! This is definitely not it! [/quote]

It does not have to say force. Itís just for the trailer to explain that this is the forced card.
I'm actually pretty impressed by this.. Got mine today...
I'm decent at DIY and I've remade everything in the cardshark brand...

The box works well, I initially didn't like the way of displaying the card but I'm over that now.. No one cares really...

And its over and done with quickly...

Works for me and my way of presenting etc so its a 9/10 for me... Thinking of porting it all over to a tarot box next...
[quote]On Jun 7, 2019, IAIN wrote:
I'm actually pretty impressed by this.. Got mine today...
I'm decent at DIY and I've remade everything in the cardshark brand...

The box works well, I initially didn't like the way of displaying the card but I'm over that now.. No one cares really...

And its over and done with quickly...

Works for me and my way of presenting etc so its a 9/10 for me... Thinking of porting it all over to a tarot box next... [/quote]

This serves double duty as an actual cardbox? I hoping yes? Would be a pain to have to carry around an extra box just for this. I like the use of this for something like card to impossible location.
I thought you didn't use playing cards?!

Of course it's a pretty. Much regular card box. It's been tweaked a little but it's a genuine card box.

Of course it's a pretty. Much regular card box. It's been tweaked a little but it's a genuine card box. [/quote]

Who DOESN'T use playing cards? LoL. Thanks Iain! Just the information I was looking for :D
[quote]On Jun 7, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:

Of course it's a pretty. Much regular card box. It's been tweaked a little but it's a genuine card box. [/quote]

Who DOESN'T use playing cards? LoL. Thanks Iain! Just the information I was looking for :D [/quote]

Er... You. :confused:
[quote]On Jun 7, 2019, pegasus wrote:

Who DOESN'T use playing cards? LoL. Thanks Iain! Just the information I was looking for :D [/quote]

Er... You. :confused: [/quote]

LoL.

I've always used cards... Dunno why you think that...
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jun 7, 2019 02:56PM)
I've always used cards... Dunno why you think that... [/quote]

You post in Inner Thoughts. Once you are spotted down there nobody believes you have two functioning hands.
[quote]On Jun 7, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:

You post in Inner Thoughts. Once you are spotted down there nobody believes you have two functioning hands. [/quote]

It's all mental power and true PK. LoL.

No, not you. It was aimed at Kiss dads n cookies or whatever his name is.

No, not you. It was aimed at Kiss dads n cookies or whatever his name is. [/quote]

I mean, if you needed to check the spelling on my user name... it's literally RIGHT THERE pegasus, sheesh. LoL.
I snagged this and to be honest, its quite brilliant. Sure there are plenty of ways to force a card, and frankly I very likely won't perform the Blizzard routine with this, but I can see many uses and it is very cleverly designed.

While there are many forces, they certainly don't typically allow the same true freedom of choice that this gets you.

It would easily pass a basic examination, I wouldn't hesitate at all to leave it on the table or hand it over if asked. The only reason I can think of anyone wanting to look at it would be to look inside of it if you did something where their selected card disappeared. Absolutely nothing to find in there...

It would take a little care, but as said earlier, this can certainly be remade if worn or if a different box is preferred. Additional force cards could be made with relatively little skill or supplies needed.

This would be the absolutely perfect start to something like Ramsey's Red Pill.... Actually, I'll very likely do just that. Perfect super clean force, freely put the selected card back in the deck. And the really nice part is that you handled their selected card just long enough (for those who believe in the whole "too perfect" concept) to really leave them scratching their head is to how that series of events occurred and leaving them with the impossible souvenir if they choose not to open the "reveal" deck.

Other than needing to be little careful to avoid wear, there's no reason this could be your standard card box so its not anything additional to "carry" at all. Outside of its devious capability, its a perfectly normal card box.

I'll absolutely be using this.
Got my copy the other day and performed it yesterday. I just did the Basic Blizzard effect and the reactions were really good! They even examined the box and found nothing! I definitely will be using this. I used this in the context of first divining the girls "selected" card and then went into the "what if everything you all just saw was an illusion and the card you though you saw was actually not there, it was just a card that you were very familiar with?". Her card was the Queen of Diamonds so this presentation fit because all woman usually pick and like the Queen and most woman can relate to Diamonds, lol....

A very nice product!

RNK
RNK,
Rhank you for your post and real life review.
Michael
[quote]On Jun 12, 2019, magicinsight wrote:
RNK,
Rhank you for your post and real life review.
Michael [/quote]

Most welcome Michael! I think this is a winner!
I have this too. I like it. The effects are strong and the compromises are small.

This one deserves more attention, but its in the shadows of another hyped effect.
As much as I want to like this I just canít get past the odd way of handling and then flashing the spec their card.
I keep slapping myself and trying to convince myself that that is just magiciansí thinking but it still bugs me.
Iím having a hard time believing that my specs wonít find this unusual handling suspicious.
To each their own obviously but a few things for what they're worth.
First, I've done this a couple of times now, and if they are holding the rest of the deck it actually feels fairly natural (case in my hand, deck in theirs). I put it on the case while talking, then display when it's time. I don't say it, but it comes off as an "I don't wan't to see it" type of thing.

Nobody has questioned a thing or given odd looks, etc... Its really just so clean.

Also, I don't remember how much is shown in the trailer, but a VERY generous amount of the card can be shown, it's not just like the top 1/4 of it.

Honestly, I have absolutely no reservations using this...

[quote]On Jun 12, 2019, videoman wrote:
As much as I want to like this I just canít get past the odd way of handling and then flashing the spec their card.
I keep slapping myself and trying to convince myself that that is just magiciansí thinking but it still bugs me.
Iím having a hard time believing that my specs wonít find this unusual handling suspicious. [/quote]
I donít normally get involved in peopleís various
Taste in magic..but compelled to say that Avalanche..
Both the blank deck effect and the card force/vanish etc
Are both extremely powerful (not to mention almost
Self working). We had these lives audience tested
For literally hundreds performances by three pros
And not a whisper of any problems. These three pros
Now use Avalanche as part of their regular set.

Have to say that we never imagined that some would think it
Odd to place a card on the box to display. Again..hundreds of live
performances and nothing but astonished reactions (as seen in the demo).

To help put this in perspective: letís say you have a wallet in one hand and pulled out
A bill. But then you want to grab a bottle of water with the bill hand..what would you do?
You place the bill on the wallet to free up your hand to grab the water. And if you then wanted
To show your friend something on the other side of the bill..youíd tilt up the wallet to show the bill.

Same simple logic applies to naturally placing a card on the box. The box is already in your hand because you just pulled
Out the deck or a card. Your other hand holds the card. But now you want to move something on the table...like adjust the deck..

But you canít..because your hand holds a card. What can you do? Might it not be appropriate and natural to
to free up your hand by placing the card on the case..allowing your now empty hand to adjust the deck.

And if you now want to display the other side of the card..the single most efficient action you could take
would be to tilt up the case to show the face of the card.

So weíre dealing with how normal everyday humans function when they are handling normal objects.

Iíve seen this happen with a few of Paulís other effects when they were first released. Both
Twighlight Angels and the ph vanishing deck were completely ignored/misunderstood for ten or twenty years
And then suddenly people woke up and realized how beautiful they were. Many just couldnít conceive of how such
A simple basic idea could be so powerful. So for what itís worth..I think Avalanche May be in this same
Boat..But why wait ten or twenty years to find out?

Ok. Thanks for letting me vent.

Joy to all

janet (for PHP)
Iíve seen this performed a few times by members of our club and by a dealer at a convention and on all occasions if I wasnít directly in front of the performer you could see the gimmick from the side
Been road testing this since I got it at launch...been surprisingly good and easy to use...
There are many more awkward moves in magic then placing a freely selected card on a box then letting them peek at it.

Like almost all forces. 😊

Weíre ok with riffling down the side of a deck and asking them to stop. Why don't we analyze the logic in that move.
Here, select a card while I manhandle the deck. No suspicious moves there.

Avalanche avoids most contrived forces with the trade off of putting the card on the box to possible free up a hand, or maybe not wanting to put the card down on a wet or dirty table. Etc.

I think Janet is spot on, people are missing the boat on this one.

I don't like new stuff very often, but I do like this one.
Card biker ..

Angles?

Just hold box close to chest plus correct hand positioning. Itís all on the tutorial

J
I donít see anything wrong with this force but I do agree you have to be a bit ( only a tiny bit ) careful with your angles .
I also see nothing wrong with a good slip cut force or most forces done well to a spectator either .
The riffle down the edge gives a random feel so to them neither they or you know where they are going to stop .
If you just say take a card 9 times out of 10 they will take an easy card somewhere in the middle hence the classic force type scenario .
One could argue they could think afterwards I bet everyone takes one from the centre area .
The random nature of a riffle slip cut force to them is like putting your hand in a box and pulling out a raffle ticket imo .
As magicians we often way over think things imo and search for perfection that rarely exists .
Not many spectators think like us and if they do they are probably magicians striving for the golden goose egg that doesnít exist .
Great magic to all Gaz 🙂
Just barely got a chance to go test this and I absolutely love it. I think this is being very overlooked. They have a few killer routines with this but you can do so much more than shown. I've been playing with some dual reality concepts with this and it really will become an everyday carry for me. I like the avalanche blank deck but for me what really stood out was the card to impossible location, and the force/card change. One routine has a spectator select a card and puts half the deck in their pocket. You place the selected card on top of your pile immediately after showing it and the spectator picks it up with their imagination. You then clearly show its not on the top or anywhere in your pile and you can let them do the reveal as it finally clicks they used their imagination to put it in their pocket and the moment they pull it out and turn it over they are amazed. Really one of the best releases in years in my opinion. It may look awkward for the camera in the trailer but in the real world this absolutely kills. You could easily customize a gimmick to a deck of your choosing if you wanted as well. Another idea I had is you could easily adapt the gimmick to make a killer chicago opener routine. All in all, I think the Paul Harris team really knocked it out of the park with this one. I would for sure give this a 5/5 rating and I'm more than happy to answer any questions.
I think in the routine you describe once you have shown the card you shouldnít place it on top of your half then show itís vanished from there .
I think that telegraphs the method imo , it should be placed in the middle of your half or if on top then get the spectator to shuffle your half before the vanish and reappearance .
Thatís my 2 cents on it anyway Gaz 🙂
Gaz, thank you for your thoughts, for the card vanishing anywhere else I use what you describe. However, in my experience this particular routine makes it perfect off the top. If you have them mime pulling it from the top I find it gets great reactions and no one questions it, especially if you let them turn the top card over. However, again for it vanishing anywhere else I use what you describe. Just thought I would share what has been working for me. Thank you again for your thoughts
Thanks Cody maybe I am thinking too much like magician here . I see your point though with the miming aspect as the magic hasnít happened to them at that point and added to that they are ones doing it , which is always a strong situation Gaz 🙂
This is a great trick and very cleverly made gimmick!