(Close Window)
Topic: Best advice I've read today.
"When someone disagrees with you online and demands that you prove your point to their satisfaction by writing a logically sound defense you can save a lot of time by not doing that.
'Dude, I've known you for ten seconds and enjoyed none of them. I'm not taking homework assignments from you.'"
"You can be right because you want to be, or you can look it up yourself."
[quote]On Jan 13, 2019, critter wrote:
"When someone disagrees with you online and demands that you prove your point to their satisfaction by writing a logically sound defense you can save a lot of time by not doing that.
'Dude, I've known you for ten seconds and enjoyed none of them. I'm not taking homework assignments from you.'" [/quote]

I love it. Thanks

I hate it when people say could you post a link to back that up. Donít they know you can prove anything on the internet? And when you do post it they say, oh you canít believe 'that' writer. :)

Tom
Not a universal truth guys.

Yes the internet is full of those people. BUT there are people who read things posted to broaden their knowledge. Often a subject comes up of which I am woefully ignorant. (Quite often actually.) I like to know where the person writing the post is coming from so it is cool to have links.

Magnus was the same way. He read EVERYTHING people linked to in order to find what they were trying to say. It was actually him that got me in that habit. It may not change his mind, but he did read and understand what is being said.

I am sorry if this comes off as disagreement guys. It really is not. Just saying don't lose hope! Reasonable people exist on the internet.
35 years ago a WW2 vet use to say this:

[i]"With the greatest regard to the truth, I'm endeavored to say..."[/i]

It was his go to line meaning; I don't know, I'm not sure, and I don't feel like answering you.

I've noticed most people on here are willing to have a honest debate without the need to crush the opposition with their version of truth.

However, there are some who wish to get a rise out you, and one who likes to ask why a lot without providing their position... ;)
[quote]On Jan 14, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
35 years ago a WW2 vet use to say this:

[i]"With the greatest regard to the truth, I'm endeavored to say..."[/i]

It was his go to line meaning; I don't know, I'm not sure, and I don't feel like answering you.

I've noticed most people on here are willing to have a honest debate without the need to crush the opposition with their version of truth.

However, there are some who wish to get a rise out you, and one who likes to ask why a lot without providing their position... ;) [/quote]
*an honest debate.
Got nothing better to do than follow me around and correct my grammar?
Not really no. Not today anyway. I haven't really looked at your grammar. Nor do I really care. I just thought it peculiar that we had a brief exchange about a and an in the minister's cat thread. You gave me a reasonable explanation, but in reading your posts I see it is actually an ongoing thing.
Anyway, no big deal.
Oh, and no, reading your posts isn't following you around. I'm sure you post so others will read. I read nearly all posts here. It's a cool space.
Cheers, my friend! Just having a bit of fun.
😉
Well, when you post on 2 separate threads (not to include the derailing of the Minister's Cat) to only point out my errors (without contributing) it comes across at the very least - pedantic.

It's all fun and games when you are the towel-whipper in the locker room.
True. And I would've contributed, but I read it, realized it wasn't my cup of tea, pointed out an error, then left.
Then I noticed you did the same thing a couple other times and thought I'd mention it. That's all.
By the way, I'm not bothered who is holding the towel. It's all in good fun. In a real Cafť I would be compelled to point it out as well. Not to a stranger of course, but to a club member having fun talking magic or limericks or just shooting the breeze- absolutely, with a smile and a wink of course.
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, magicfish wrote:
True. And I would've contributed, but I read it, realized it wasn't my cup of tea, pointed out an error, then left.
Then I noticed you did the same thing a couple other times and thought I'd mention it. That's all.
[/quote]

Posting one error and leaving would have been fine, but that is not what you did with the Minister's Cat. You actually posted 3 times so you must of liked something about the tea...

Most people would have added an explanation to the correction to at least enlighten someone (exception rule for a verses an); but that not accurate either, most people accept that a forum is a laid back environment and allow people to post from the cuff as it were.

So lets wait for DannyDoyle to post so we can criticize his big thumb typing. I'll even let you hold the towel...
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
[quote]On Jan 15, 2019, magicfish wrote:
[/quote]

Posting one error and leaving would have been fine, but that is not what you did with the Minister's Cat. You actually posted 3 times so you must of liked something about the tea...

Most people would have added an explanation to the correction to at least enlighten someone (exception rule for a verses an); but that not accurate either, most people accept that a forum is a laid back environment and allow people to post from the cuff as it were.

So lets wait for DannyDoyle to post so we can criticize his big thumb typing. I'll even let you hold the towel... [/quote]
*must've. Whaaateeeesh whaaateeeesh...
Sorry.
Danny Doyle? Nah...he's too big.
Noooooobody towel whips Danny Doyle in the change room.
Ok, no more corrections (unless it's an uncontrollable pet peeve like 'must of')
Thanks for being a good sport, Mike. You're a good guy.
Ah... forgive me for typing phonetically. You are of course correct "must have" or in your instance "must've".

You and I are going to be such good friends. Don't you feel it?
Lol sure do Mike!
By the way, nice one Critter! I like it.
I see it as a good thing to ponder when deciding whether to stay up an extra two hours arguing. It also depends on who's asking. If it's clearly someone who only wants an argument then no, I'm too old to stay awake for that. If someone really wants to learn I'll link them to more books and articles than they can dream of.
Arguing is silly. Just because we may not agree does not mean we cannot have a good debate.

The world would be a very boring (and unproductive) place if we all agreed.
As Voltaire said, I may not agree with what that man is saying, but I will defend, with my life if need be, his right to use blue-backed cards.
Likewise if I think someone has something of value to teach me I'm willing to take a little hazing to learn it. That came with age too.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2019, critter wrote:
I see it as a good thing to ponder when deciding whether to stay up an extra two hours arguing. It also depends on who's asking. If it's clearly someone who only wants an argument then no, I'm too old to stay awake for that. If someone really wants to learn I'll link them to more books and articles than they can dream of. [/quote]

This is wonderfully true. Good point.
The problem, too often, is that no one wants to learn, yet everyone wants to "teach." And by teach, I mean beat someone over the head with how they see things, and if you disagree, then you are obviously obstinate, slow, or just plain wrong.
Often we argue about opinions and viewpoints. It's easy to fall into the "I'm right and you're wrong" mindset. Especially while typing on a keyboard.