(Close Window)
Topic: Sankey's Holy Moly
Does anyone know of a UK supplier for Sankey's Holy Moly?
Most of his stuff he just sells direct now.
Thanks. I've ordered it directly. I was considering Holy Stretch but it doesn't look organic enough for me. An actual "stretched" washer would seem better.
Does anyone know what metal the gimmicks consist of?
All I can say about the metal used is that it ages and doesn't look as good as when new in my opinion.
I am pretty sure they are the standard Zinc washers
I just received my order and I have been sent the wrong effect! I've emailed them so will hopefully get it sorted asap.
Does anyone sell these as coins? like a Chinese coin?
[quote]On May 5, 2019, st3v13 wrote:
Does anyone sell these as coins? like a Chinese coin? [/quote]

Not that I'm aware of and I've been searching for years, the biggest problem is getting a Chinese Coin without a hole to match the ones with the holes.
I was thinking of a just a higher quality material. Like a presentation of blank coins with holes instead of washers
[quote]On May 7, 2019, st3v13 wrote:
I was thinking of a just a higher quality material. Like a presentation of blank coins with holes instead of washers [/quote]

Isn't part of the power and popularity of this effect (what the spectator perceive) from using simple and apparently normal/common objects?

Not sure how "higher quality material" would make this effect better. You could be right for a particular audience.
Some women are into large earrings. Maybe some of these silver disks would work as you "attempt to make some jewelry."

Me - I want a spectator to select an object from a dish of nuts, bolts and washers
and be able to perform well with whatever they choose. Last thing I would want is an object they did not recognize.

If you like the idea of holes moving around in other objects, check out Sankey's "Target Practice."
My logic is more to avoid having more props. I personally think that no one thinks anything I'm carrying around is a normal object. might as well have "washers" I'm more comfortable doing normal coin slights with
I was thinking of a just a higher quality material. Like a presentation of blank coins with holes instead of washers [/quote]

I am wandering what blank coins with holes are? I am thinking that blank coins with holes are in fact washers?
[quote]On May 22, 2019, RNK wrote:

I am wandering what blank coins with holes are? I am thinking that blank coins with holes are in fact washers? [/quote]

I would add that blank coins are not likely to discolour as bad as washers which I would see as an improvement personally.
You can easily get washers in a variety of pastel colors. Nuts and bolts too.
[quote]On May 23, 2019, funsway wrote:
You can easily get washers in a variety of pastel colors. Nuts and bolts too. [/quote]

Yes but not with the required holes and lack of holes etc
[quote]On May 24, 2019, warren wrote:
You can easily get washers in a variety of pastel colors. Nuts and bolts too. [/quote]

Yes but not with the required holes and lack of holes etc [/quote]

Sorry - all along I thought you were planning on making your own.
Maybe Hank Moorehouse's BEGGARS COINS (from the secondary market) will work for this application?

Julie
Beggars coins will not work with this routine.
[quote]On May 24, 2019, funsway wrote:
[quote]On May 24, 2019, warren wrote:

Yes but not with the required holes and lack of holes etc [/quote]

Sorry - all along I thought you were planning on making your own. [/quote]

It's not my thread I just posted my thoughts as I have been after a verion of this with Chinese coins for years, if I had the right tools for the job an knew what I was doing I would make them myself however I wouldn't have a clue and it would look terrible.

I used to perform the original routine with washers all the time but think it would look so much better with Chinese coins.
The great thing about washers is that they are expected to have a hole in the middle . I have the original and also made it up myself with 10ps but still think the washers look far more natural . Letís face it how many people have holes drilled in their coins unless of course you can do it with Chinese coins as Warren says .
That could be the only thing that could make the patter perhaps a fraction better . This is a great and possibly highly underused close up work horse imho Gaz 🙂
To replace the washers with coins that have holes in them takes away from the organic nature of Holy Moly. I was a neophyte in magic when I first saw Holy Moly performed.
I remember the washers played a significant role in my amazement as they were objects that I could relate to. Watching a coin trick where silver dollars from the 1800s were used didn't resonate with me as much since they were objects I only saw through the display case in a coin shop or at the fingertips of a magician.
I have been doing Holy Moly for years & years now. It is a classic effect from Sankey, and has been one of the only 2-3 close up tricks I carry on me for many years now. It is an absolutely perfect closeup trick as it is IMHO. Just the right thing to do between all the coins or card tricks. It is easy to do and always amazes people, catches them totally by surprise every time. Sankey did add the stretch washer element but itís really not needed as the original effect rocks on its own. Packs small, plays BIG...every time out. 😁 Ya just donít leave home without it. And speaking of ďLeaving Home,Ē thatís another little Sankey closeup gem thatís always with me. 😉
Holy Moly is good, I just wish they were attracted to m****ts, for ditching and or stealing.
Brilliant effect and I love the washers but I have also made it up in UK coins which are steel core and can be stitched and stolen off a m.g.et . Best wishes Gaz 🙂
Having said the above my holy moly set that came with the dvd from Jay Sankey attract to a magnet anyway Gaz 🙂
I also bought straight from Sankey but they do not attract to a ma*n*t. I wish they did.
Well I have had mine for nearly 20 years so maybe he makes them out of something else now but mine 100% do Gaz 🙂
I was given a set that were made out of stainless steel fender washers they have a very nice shine with no need to polish them. I also had an individual, the owner of the magic shop in St. Ignace(?), give me a set made of half dollars that had a cow sticker on the back. The idea was that you show it after the hole travels as you say "all I can say about that is "Holy Cow". Ive never used it in performance just thought I would pass it along.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2020, music wrote:
I also bought straight from Sankey but they do not attract to a ma*n*t. I wish they did. [/quote]

Actually the ones Sankey offers now are attracted to magnets.

https://sankey-magic.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/holy-moly-1
I LOVE HOLY MOLY. I do have one of the more recent sets with the large hole, and yes, they are attracted to magnets. I don't use the magnetic feature.

I too have been thinking that it might be interesting to have a set made from old quarters. I just think it would be a fun routine to use a hole punch and old quarters. I haven't tried drilling a hole in an old quarter, but that might be a cool souvenir. Another thought is to do the Holy Moly routine with quarters, then transferring the coin to a selected playing card and giving it out as a souvenir.

I just think Holy Moly is so amazing and powerful, I'd like to figure out a way to leave the participant with a souvenir. Just some crazy thoughts.

KJ
As I make my own with a pillar drill , it costs me 10p
everytime then I can always leave the 2 holed coin with the spectator at the end , I even get it initiated in its 2 hole state .
Very overlooked classic and simple effect . Best wishes Gaz 😊
[quote]On Dec 8, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
everytime then I can always leave the 2 holed coin with the spectator at the end , I even get it initiated in its 2 hole state .
Very overlooked classic and simple effect . Best wishes Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Have you tried making them out of regular coins instead of metal disks?
Yes thatís it exactly how I do make my spares 1KJ with uk 10p coins but I have done half dollars and all sorts before . Wonderful effect and a great illusion and so easy to do too Gaz 😊
[quote]On Dec 11, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Yes thatís it exactly how I do make my spares 1KJ with uk 10p coins but I have done half dollars and all sorts before . Wonderful effect and a great illusion and so easy to do too Gaz 😊 [/quote]

That is great! I love it. I am going to give it a try.
KJ
If you like Holy Moly you would probably like Key Deposit by Sankey as well.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4210
I'm a big fan of Holy Moly although I'm not a fan of using washers so I got it made up in Chinese coins :-)
Hi Warren where did you manage to get square holes cut in coins ? Chinese coins donít actually have round holes so you did well there if you got square ones cut Gaz 😊
[quote]On Dec 20, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Hi Warren where did you manage to get square holes cut in coins ? Chinese coins donít actually have round holes so you did well there if you got square ones cut Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Let me reply by saying this what type of holes are used in the very popular coin effect a charming chinese challenge......and there my friend I rest my case ;-)
Yeah exactly Warren not Chinese coins then just magic coins . May as well just buy Chinese coin stickers and stick them on washers if thatís the way you want to go . I would love Chinese coins but real Chinese coins not your fake coins Gaz 😊
[quote]On Dec 20, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Yeah exactly Warren not Chinese coins then just magic coins . May as well just buy Chinese coin stickers and stick them on washers if thatís the way you want to go . I would love Chinese coins but real Chinese coins not your fake coins Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Why so snotty.....My coins are top notch and lets be honest they look way better than drilling holes into a 10p or 2p coin which just looks cheap and for corporate gigs are much more appropriate than using washers but to each their own.

I presume you wouldn't dream of performing effects such as a charming chinese challege due to the same reason which is great for me as we wouldn't all want to be doing the same effects would we.
I donít like stickers on coins as they look like stickers and get worn . Precision coins drilled 10ps or indeed the the washers supplied look good as they are real and go well with the right patter . I mean washers are meant to have holes in right so all seems as it should . Coins are not supposed to have holes but itís easier to frame a story around a hole in coin where one isnít supposed to be than to why you would have a hole instead of square one in a Chinese stickered coin imo . Yeah I have charming Chinese coin challenge and done it for about 5 years about 10 years ago . Thatís a completely different effect and the patter is predominantly not about the holes itís Troy Hoosers coin on lace effect so a completely different entity . At least we are both doing old magic that no one does anymore thatís a good thing and sets us apart I too donít want to be doing the same as everyone else Gaz 😊
By the way charming Chinese coins are not stickered and maybe your holy moly ones arenít either Gaz 😊
Actually I apologise Warren , my Christmas has been ruined and I am just being a complete nob because of it . So I am sorry about my previous comments they were wrong and totally unjustified . Itís a great effect and I am sure yours is a fantastic way of doing it . Iím really sorry , very best wishes Gaz 😊
No problem Gaz I'm truly sorry to hear that, if your in the Birmingham area feel free to drop me a message perhaps we could have a magic jam or something to possibly cheer you up.

Going back to your previous post my coins don't have stickers on or anything they were custom made fir me as the most difficult part is getting a Chinese type coin without a hole.
Thank you Warren itís much appreciated and your coins sound great and with no stickers they sound absolutely superb . I actually love the premise of Chinese coins and use that in my patter with the holy moly sets I have so having them in Chinese like you have couldnít actually be any better . Sorry I was being such a dick and I am happy you have forgiven me . I wish I was in Birmingham my friend so thanks for your kind offer but I am in Tier 4 in Kent and itís restricting me spending Christmas with my Daughter as planned in Newcastle . Its no real excuse but that was depressing me , anyway if you can pm me with where you got those coins made I would love to buy a set in the future Gaz 😊
Great ideas from both Warren and Gaz! Right now I'm super excited about "The Bend", but I'm going to keep these thoughts in mind for the future as I rotate the things that I keep on my keychain and wallet.

kj
[quote]On Aug 12, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Well I have had mine for nearly 20 years so maybe he makes them out of something else now but mine 100% do Gaz 🙂 [/quote]

Same here. Purchased 15 years ago, stick to a magnet.
I love the effect and use it quite a bit, my local hardware store has exact matching regular washers. I purchased a whole bunch of them for about four cents each, I love the routine where you see one on the ground, ask somebody to grab it and hand it to you. Go through the routine with apparently a normal washer simply found on the ground. At one point several years ago, I made several gimmicks using a drill press, and let the spectator keep it as a souvenir in the end.
For what it's worth - I have a couple of sets made from brass, had them for around 20 years.

The problem I see when using modified coins - is the fact that all coins have a "head" and "tail" - the two faces are different.

When switching coins (letting the coin with the the hole drop into the left hand and replacing it with the blank (French Drop) - there can be discrepancy - unless you can feel in your pocket for the "head" or "tail". When using plain metal, as in washers, the problem doesn't arise.
[quote]On Dec 8, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Very overlooked classic and simple effect . Best wishes Gaz 😊 [/quote]
Don't you have a problem with the heads and tails situation? EG - if you show the coin with a head, and the change shows a tail? Kinda awkward trying to feel the difference with the hand that holds the replacement coin? And perhaps the orientations of the coins changing? These have always been my reservations with doctored coins. I've been doing this for years (never leave home without them ) I have a set I picked up made from plain brass. (they came from ebay, I think.

Wish I could find a second set as reserve.
No because I always have the other coin in finger palm at the start in its correct orientation or not at all if I am routining it with the Quiver coin purse which I often do too Gaz 😊
[quote]On Mar 10, 2021, deadcatbounce wrote:
For what it's worth - I have a couple of sets made from brass, had them for around 20 years.

The problem I see when using modified coins - is the fact that all coins have a "head" and "tail" - the two faces are different.

When switching coins (letting the coin with the the hole drop into the left hand and replacing it with the blank (French Drop) - there can be discrepancy - unless you can feel in your pocket for the "head" or "tail". When using plain metal, as in washers, the problem doesn't arise. [/quote]

Using Chinese style coins eliminates that problem :-)