(Close Window)
Topic: What do 'you' carry on you for those "show me a trick" moments
What do you have on you when you are just going out and about to say...the bank, or the grocery store, and you're not expecting to do magic tricks? Do you always have IT or M5 or Raven hooked up just in case? I usually carry just a deck of cards and a sharpie, occasionally I'll bring my dollar sized magnetic pokerchips and maybe my Raven, just in case I see someone or the opportunity comes up that I might need to do a trick.
I carry dollar bills to do torn and restore. Plus coins.
I have Heirloom in my wallet. I wear a W & W watch all the time. If I have just a coin in my pocket I can do a trick. If I have nothing with me I could maybe do cold reading or tell them their star sign.
I always have a knife and am always ready to go into a color-changing knife routine. It is very normal to have a knife in your pocket and no one will suspect that you are set to perform a miracle at anytime.
Alway carry my "Ring Box" everywhere ! Impromptu moments deserve as much attention to detail as a fully charged "gig" & to vanish & transpo any small article stays with "em". easy to carry. Kenny
I try to always have some rope and a knife a four inch steel ring a dog collar(chain type) and a two inch brass ring.

ChrisG
A wristfull of rubberbands for Cash Ladder, CMH & a thumb penetration.

A coin purse with a TT and a mismade bill inside.

A large Chinese coin and a smaller coin purse holding 6 half dollars and 1 English penny.

A separate TT (not in the purse mentioned earlier.

A wallet with the Magician's Credit Card in it.

A small note pad, a pen and my business cards.

With that I can do a full standup or strolling show if I have to.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Sticky Situation
A ring
Some Change
T.T.

This changes now and again.
I always seem to have a deck of cards on me, but that's about it.
Message: Posted by: TheHungryMagician (May 13, 2004 06:02PM)
I usually have a deck of cards, depends on my pockets. I'll carry around gimmicked decks when I have time to grab them, and just do the "think of a number..." tricks at those rare times I'm unprepared.
Just my bikes and a marker. For coin magic I prefer to borrow from the spectaters. I always have a supply or prepared loops.

Rannie
I carry a couple of things with me. Coins... just because they are fun... a pen, can always do something with that, I like sponge balls and often have them with me... I am not great with cards (non gimmick) so I do not take them with me. But I am practicing with cards so I can carry a deck with me wherever I go.

Derick
I carry a TT, rubber bands, coins. If I need to go beyond that, look around for bills, matches, etc.

MoonBeam
Hey!
I carry one of the best gimmicks all time with me! my HANDS and FINGERS! :)
What an answer andi! I can't agree more! Must have my jacket though! It's full o'stuff! ha ha!
I always carry a pen-etration pen with me where ever I go. It always gets a great response. Also I carry a regular deck of Bicycle cards to do any of my card effects.
I have my wallet loaded with kk a couple elastic bands around my wrist for CMH and three coins for sankeys coins across.
A deck of cards (+ stranger card, one in deck and one in wallet)

A coin
Message: Posted by: TheHungryMagician (May 16, 2004 04:34PM)
Always know "no materials" tricks. I'm only unprepared a couple times a week. With my luck that's when I get requests. Suggestions: Balducci, borrowing coins, take their pulse and name numbers from 1 to 10 (it'll speed up on their number).
I never leave the house without a sub trunk!!!!
One rubberband for the finger jump or if I'm not prepared, I do the old severed thumb followed by a "run like hell". Poof
I always carry my walk around bag. It's a tote that has my cell phone & pocket pc. The rest of the space is devoted to coins, a deck or two, gaffs, silks, etc.

On those very off days when the bag is not with me, I always keep 2 half dollars and either a ^coin or a C/S. With those three items I'm good for at least 5 or 6 effects.

Best,

Mike
I always have some rubberbands (one for star gazer) around my business cards.
[quote]
On 2004-05-16 20:08, MagicChris wrote:
I never leave the house without a sub trunk!!!!
[/quote]

Oh yeah? Well I always carry my sub trunk AND my oversized sword basket!
I have recently started carrying rubberbands on my wrist (having learned CMH finally and some linking ring on band moves).
I always have a papermate or bic round stic pen on me for re-capped, what a wonderful little routine. Thanks again to Gregory Wilson for that one.
I got dice on me most of the time too, although how impromptu that is remains a good question but folks that request a trick usually are not hanging around debating within themselves if what you are about to do is impromptu or not. As long as the magic is done well!

I usually have a TT ready for bill switch and 5 bills set for bendover bills.
Always got to be a little prepared!

GlenD
A deck of bikes and an invisible deck (just in case I mess something up) or as a big ending to a couple of tricks.

Greetzzz

Pepijn
A coin.

The rest is either watch stealing, or pickpocket lite now.
I always am prepared to to color changing knife and hopping half. Sometimes sponge balls, and a few half dollars.
-A pen for re-capped
-Rubberbands
-a few half dollars and English penny
-cards, sometimes
As a newbie, I have the following items with me :

- A TT
- Rubber bands for CMH and for ring thru band (Pinnacle)
- one or two decks (one non-gimmicked, and either Cardtoon for the fun of it or an invisible deck)
- And safety pins. Dreamweaver and Pindemonium are great effects, and pins are very easy to carry around.

Mathias (from Switzerland)
A bicycle deck with a three extra cards... a double, and then two prepared to do a card ward (aka, voodoo zone)

An invisible deck if I'm not wearing wranglers (back pockets are too tight)

Four quarters for some basic sleights and coin matrix...

I used to be prepared at all times with some IT, but I have run out and yet to restock...

If I'm going to a resturant, I grab a prepared sugar pack for a coin into sugar pack, and I need to get some salt shakers for a salt/coffee creamer switch...

Always ready for a balducci, and in the winter a twisted arm...
I nearly always carry a pen (for Wilson's ReCap), a regular deck of cards, and at least one half dollar. If there's a more than likely chance I'll be doing something, I'll bring a packet trick or two, along with some more coins.
Everyone carries their wallet most of the time you go anywhere. So there'll always be StarGazer, a small piece of flash paper (sealed in a small zip-lock bag), a mismade dollar bill (HK $20), and a prediction card. Most other everyday items you really don't need to particularly carry as common objects like pens, coins,are easy to obtain. I never leave home without my StarGazer.
A deck of cards and two dice. Got to love that dice routine, thanks Bob Sheets.

Best,
Brad
I usually don't have anything but a ring on my finger. If someone asks I'll take it off say, "Hold this and I'll do one." When I go to put it in their hand it's gone and I quickly blow it out my nose. Old fashioned? Yes. Cheesy? Yes. Reactions? Very often. Get's the job done? Yep.

If there's a tree or bush around I'll do a spongeballs routine with leaves. If someone has lipstick or coins or a pen I'm REALLY set. So usually I don't carry around props, I usually just borrow stuff.
Normally...[list][*]One regular Bicycle deck (including one short card)[*]TT for disappearing cigarettes[*]Shoelace for Ring on String trick[*]Couple of coins[/list]Occasionally...[list][*]Invisible Deck[*]Swami gimmick[/list]Otherwise, just borrow stuff e.g. napkins, beer bottles, coins, etc.
Hi, I always carry a deck of cards, two rubberbands, and lastly my card to wallet, or now the Predator.
I do Color Monte, rubberbands, sponge balls or Stolen Cards. RECAP is also a good very quick, none require and extensive setup. If not prepared at all then a coin flurry, with coin ending up on spectator's shoulder.
Quadriflex and Wonderland Bill, they both fit in my wallet.
[list][*]A few coins[*]Rubberbands[*]Stealth Pen[*]Dream weaver[/list]...and whatever I may be working on at the time.
I usually have rubberbands clipped to my pocket knife. However, they rot quickly in LA air, so they aren't always usable when I want them. On occasion, they have even been used as (gasp) rubberbands. ;)

I often carry a subset of Dreamweaver. One day, however, the G***ED pin got open and pinned me pretty darn solidly, while driving. I've got to say that that beats a cell phone for distracting! If I have them now, they're usually pinned inside my cap where they can't do as much harm.

I keep a small coin purse in the car with cards prepped for Card Warp, a packet for Brother John Hammond's Twins, and four large coins (currently Australian 50 cent pieces) for Eugene Burger's three coin mystery. Having that handy to grab on impulse when heading in for dinner is handy, but I wouldn't want to carry it on me 100% of the time.

Now the extremely long ropes I use for Prof's Nightmare (the longest is about eight feet, which pretty much convinces people I am nuts) are a bit too long to keep on hand...
[list][*]Deck[*]Kolossal Killer in my wallet[*]Rubberbands for Pinnacle and CMH[*]Pen through bill (I use the Voodoo Pen)[*]LOOPS[/list]If I had to carry only one of these, it would be the LOOPS.
I always have my trick ACE ILLUSION and I have my time machine on. It never fails.

Tom
[list][*]A TT[*]A few coins[*]A haunted key[/list]
I'll borrow four quarters for a coins across and then do a one coin routine.

By the way for all you CMH lovers, the routine was originally published by Harry Lorrayne in [i]Tarbell #7[/i] under a different name. CMH is just Ammar's presentation of a much older trick.
I bring:[list][*]A deck of Bee cards[*]An Invisible Deck[*]Post-its for Dough[*]Paper Bills[*]A Coin Bite (the one I made)[*]Fishing Reel[*]A few coins[*]Collapsible Sword[*]B2 Bomber[*]Misled Pencil[*]Flaming Wallet[*]Bendable Pen[*]Cigarette Thru Coin[*]Thought Transmitter[*]Sponge Balls[*]Multiplying Balls[*]Two cards for Card Warp by Roy Walton[*]Two Card Monte (gimmicked)[*]Coin Paddle[*]Ball and Vase[*]ITR[*]M5[*]Raven x2[/list]
The only thing on my person is a small pair of dice which I keep in my coin purse. I may occasionally have a deck of cards and a pocketful of balloons as well.

I've done the "Pair-a-Dice" routine from [i]Classic Secrets of Magic[/i] for years. Should probably switch to the Bob Sheets' version, but it's hard for this old dog to learn new tricks.

My deck is usually set up in the Aronson stack. Balloons are great as an ice breaker for kids. When I'm traveling alone and have to eat in a restaurant, I make a balloon for the waitress and suddenly I have all the "friends" I want. Balloons have also gotten me upgraded from coach to first class on planes several times over the years.

Dennis Loomis
Sometimes rubberbands for Crazyman Handcuffs. Usually I just use coins...
A fingertip, black pen, and book of matches for Sankey's burnt and restored match.
For me, impromptu is impromptu. I always wear a Time Machine watch anyway, and in my wallet there is Kollosal Killer (was not a fan of Heirloom) but apart from that I'll do something with borrowed stuff, a drink, pulse stopping, mindreading, make the lines on their palm move, make them forget their name, their cash, etc.

Truly impromptu is when I've gone down the local store with a hangover and I have NOTHING with me and the lady behind the counter says "read my mind" and I can. I think this ability to perform anywhere and anyhow is the difference between magician and person who does magic.
Two sponge balls and my wits.
NOTHING!

That's the nice thing about being a mentalist/bizarrist, YOU DON'T NEED A DARN THING if you know your job!

I can easily do 20+ minutes with little more than muscle reading demonstrations. Toss out some business cards and pencils and I've got another 20+ minutes doing a Q&A demonstration. That doesn't include all the psychological odds and ends that can be tossed into the mix.

Magicians love gadgets... we're all pack rats at heart and will fight to the death (as any good NRA member would) for the right to own and bare a TT, deck of cards, or whatever else might be of current vogue, in our pockets.

I so enjoy those who have actually become "magicians" that don't need to depend on all that JUNK, allowing wit, skill and creative improvisation to serve as their guide. Such types are a rare treasure... especially in today's world.
I always carry a deck of cards, a Sharpie and a TT. I love to do a short AC routine, sometimes even on the bus or train for complete strangers. It's such a pure way to perform magic!
Working in an office, I keep a Misled gimmick in my desk. I'm always ready to palm it and head off to the lab or a meeting.
I usually keep a deck of cards in my pocket. I also carry rubber bands for CMH. As of late, actually since I got it, I carry Jay Sankey's 3 Ring Circus. It's great!
I ALWAYS have Skinners Monty in my wallet and 4 rubberbands wrapped around my wallet for CMH and a few more rubberband effects.

Most of the time I have a deck of cards and we all know you can do lots with a deck of cards...
Thanks to this thread, I am now working on a set list of magic that requires NO props, or things easily borrowed. I have over the years developed quite the collection in my pockets (bear in mind, this is without a jacket).

Right Rear pocket: [list][*]Wallet with Wonderland Bill & B'Wave (I do them together in a sequential routine)[/list]Left Rear pocket:[list][*]Large (24" x 24") white cotton handkerchief and watch winder, for Quentin Reynolds' routine (a show in itself!)[/list]Left front pocket:[list][*]Coin purse with U3F set[*]Dollar-size U.S. penny (Sudbury)[*]Soft TT set up with Michael Kaminskas' "Half A Miracle," which is his auto-reset, strolling miniature version of the "Half-Dyed Hank."[/list]Right front pocket:[list][*]One 1989 U.S. Silver Eagle (a full ounce of silver, "Walking Liberty" design, larger than other U.S. silver dollars) for my One Coin routine[*]TT with a 36" Rainbow Streamer[*]Folding coin purse with secret compartment containing David Acer's "Spare Change", a 1962 Canadian silver dollar and one of the new "Chinese" coins, they are the same diameter and perfect for the "Nabil Change" from the [i]Cultural Xchange[/i] DVD[/list]That's nine routines, and I'm not even trying yet. But I REALLY want to cut down and carry almost NOTHING.

I will probably always carry the Silver Eagle, for sentimental reasons.

(For those who are interested—and have large hands—you can get [url=http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcs/wcs_command/0,,cginame_a=ProductDisplay&querystring=prnbr;G46+prmenbr;1000+cgnbr;1200+parentCategory;,00.html]U.S. American Eagles[/url] in a non-proof uncirculated version at most coin shops. I am lucky enough to have a major shop near me in Laurel, MD, [url=http://www.goldeneaglecoin.com]Golden Eagle.[/url])

Also, at [url=http://www.usmint.gov]the U.S Mint[/url] you can buy uncut sheets of dollar bills, to make your own [url=http://www.magictricks.com/closeup/quadriflex.htm]"Quadriflex"[/url], after you've bought it from a dealer.
Silver coins
Dice for Sach's dice routine
Rubber bands
Two straws
Deck of cards
I don't always carry with me but I always keep a Mental Photography Deck and Princess Cards in my desk drawer. Since I work in a church I also have Harris' Twilight Angels in the drawer but don't use it much.
Sponge balls... always
Sharpie
Cards
Paper clips
Magnet wallet
Coins

Sometimes some rubberbands, but I keep losing them =/
Always carry a TT, that way, you remain "propless".

-E
I usually have the obligatory rubber bands and a deck of cards prepped that I can use to do my personal version of Twins and also a shuffled version of Out of This World.

I don't usually invoke demons on the fly, so most of my bizarre stuff stays home. Most. Hehehehe
Lately, rubberbands for CMH (wrapped around my access cards on my lanyard at work, rather than on my wrists).

Three coins for Peter's Ungimmicked Scotch & Soda. (Also serves as a reminder when I reach into my pocket to work on my acquitment when I have a moment).

In my wallet, "Beswitched" setup.
I find that if people discover that I'm a magician they usually hand me a coin and ask me to make it disappear. To take the initial heat off and to establish some credentials I warm up with a coin roll and anti-gravity muscle pass before moving on to a retention vanish and reappearance, sleeving and reappearance. I'm certainly not very adept at sleights (Bobby Bernard would be horrified to see what I do) and I probably do the worst sleeving move ever, but at least I never have to carry anything with me.

I'm now brushing up on my card skills for when a pack of cards is shoved in my face at a party—can't keep doing the slip force can I?
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Jul 11, 2004 05:37PM)
I always carry a quarter, and a business card with "Your QUARTER will come up HEADS."

If you are familiar with Eugene Burger's fabulous effect with these items, I need not elaborate.

Steve
Colour Monte
Scotch & Soda
Star Gazer
B'wave
etc.
A deck of cards, and an Altoid tin with a silk, a TT, a fingertip, a strand of IT, and a silver dollar. Honestly, how much more do you need? So many tricks are made posible with this stuff!

I love reading this post!
Jugglingeagle
Good Evening Dr Stephen Midnight, in which book can I find the effect you mention? I'm not so clued up on Eugene's publications but adore his performances.

Hello Jugglingeagle, what's an Altoid tin?

To all, tricks with elastic bands are, as I can understand, great! Does the publication I think called [i]Elastrix[/i] contain all the effects you mention above?

Thanks for any help.
I could swear Altoids were created in the UK! Weren't they? Altoids are a type of mint here in the U.S. They come in a small tin just a bit smaller than a deck of poker cards.

Jugglingeagle
I usually have a TT and mis-made bill and in my wallet I have Virginia City Shuffle. I also carry whatever new that I am working on at the time. I figure if I can try it out 10 or more times in a week, I'll get a feeling if it is worth keeping.

Bob
Four quarters for Gregarious Coins or Coins Across.
I carry a roll of duct tape. You can do anything with duct tape.
I always carry a TT, a deck of Bikes, a Sharpie and a Sharpie through anything, sometimes ringflight but not always... we've all heard the horror stories.

Incidentally that's what I love about being a mentalist as well as a close-up magician. Mentalism is propless, pure and on the spot.
Sponge Ding Dong Trick
Ha ha! Very true funemagic! As a Boy Scout, I know exactly what you're talking about!
I just carry a deck of cards. Everyone seems to know that I do cards and therefore, it's no surprise when I take them out.
Several sponge balls
A couple of cards for Card Warp
Set-up for blank paper to bill
String and ring
Rubber bands for CMH
Scotch & soda
Nothing more boring than a card trick for impromptu Watching a magi pull out a deck of cards blares out,"I'm ready. Glad you asked" particularly becAuse it is HIS deck. Much different when someone has a deck fo their own ( note, normal people have cards at home, they will not produce them from a purse or a pocket. Lesson. if one believes that that looks "impromptu", they are delusionary.
In my wallet....

5 cards for Poker Dan (ron bauer) which also allow doc dailey, color monte, twisting aces and real 3 monte and own ACR effect
3 bands - CMH, Pinnacle, and Stargazer

Coins for - Gadabout revisited, clean coins across, questionable trick etc
BTW - In UK - questionable trick penny and 5pence piece
Always do an impromtu blister effect
Found a great case at the dollar store that fits on my belt and holds:

1 deck of cards
couple of packet tricks in small wallet
(b'wave, colour monte and killer B)
Few coins in a seperate compartment
Couple of rubber bands and paper clips.
I carry a TT with a silk, a mismade bill, a Squeaker
(I get a lot of mileage out of it),Rubber bands for CMH, color monte and two card monte.
I usually just carry a deck of cards, but will probally start carrying the stealth pen ( gets great reactions) and a TT. I need to learn some good mentalist effects for when I forget cards......
3 Ben Franklin 50 cent pieces. I'm considering moving up to 4, but I don't know if I want to carry so much stuff :)
Just a deck of cards and a wad of duplicates that go in my wallet. Occasionally, I will bring a marker.
I like to have a few coins such as a scotch and soda with the shell and insert in opposite pockets. As well as a Mexican Centavo for "silver to copper" type changes.
Well, I do it the *relaxed* way..but one thing to me is to be always prepared..

I do have a friend who can do magic very, very impromptu, without being *prepared*, but it is just not me..

Still, as mentioned, I take it easy..

Thing is, I can do the below described anytime, anywhere and mind you, apart from what I mention now, I have a lot of *normal* stuff in my trousers pockets too..like carkeys, other keys, a purse for coins when shopping -NOT used in magic- aso.

Apart from all this, my right trousers pocket contains a purseframe and a single coin, halfdollarsize, actually the coins I use are *old* danish 5 kroners, that are a bit larger then a halfdollar, my left trousers pocket contains 3 coins of the same domination..
Now, all this together with all the normal garbage one does use for normal, non-magical purposes..

When I feel I have/want to do some magic, this is what happens..
Mind you I'm talking about summertime and being with short sleeved shirt.

First of all- when I have to do it for strangers in a restaurant/cafe/bar (stand-up of course) I first shake hands and ask for their name, introduce myself, rub my hands and both enter both trouserspockets at the same time (mind you, what I describe also is an action I do, when being on holiday, NOT having a jacket on!, just short sleeved, whatever) .
The left hands grabs one coin (that is the purpose of having THREE coins in that pocket, apart from they get in use later..it is easier to grab one out of three then searching for a single one, when having other garbage there!!) the right grabs the purseframe..

The right leaves the pocket a splitsecond before the left and so displaying the purse/directing their attention..
The usual questions re :*Do you know what this is*..aso.
Then I do the Johnny Paul sublety to show both hands empty and immediately produce the coin out of the purse with my right hand, purse of course was placed in left and opend...
That coin is drawn to the mouth with the right for *biting* to se if it's real..

This frees my right hand and I do a twirling florish with the open pursefram and then return it to the right trousers- pocket..
Left hand takes the coin out of mouth after a few biting actions/comments that it is real, throws it to the right, then I do immediately a fake pass (Goshman type) right to left to hand over the coin to the spec.

Producing it after some misdirection, left hand no succes, right hand has, from a left bodypart of his/her, immediately therafter vanishing that coin from the trousersfold on my left leg.

Therefrom, after producing it from behind my right leg, fake pass to left hand which enters the pocket (fakepass courtesy of Michael Skinner) and it goes right through my left trouserspocket..
Herefrom again fakepass (Albert Goshman) to hand it over to the spec..
Herefrom I might do a couple of things like producing it, fakeplacing it in my right pocket, producing it again, placing it in my left trouserspocket, (fakepass) and produce it again..
I play it by the ear, being carefull not to overdo it..

Mind you, the fakepasses I do really ARE deceptive, so I can strech it to a certain limit :)

Now, as I have alltogether 4 coins available..and IF there is a table accessable, no matter how high low whatever, as long as it IS avaialble, I do my own coins through the table -using no lapping- as it can be done in any situation, as long as there is a table available..
That's it..that's what I do..
I could follow up with other stuff, but I don't carry it around normally when just being out or on vaccation, without a jacket on..

Sometimes I do have the Hindu-thread in a suitable round container (to secure the preparation never foulds up and it never has) with me and I just might do that..
Nothing of this is impromptu..I prefer certain sizes of coins which nowadays are not common anymore here in my country, I have to have the purseframe..but..I'm prepared..

The single coin in the right pocket might get in use, when I skip doing the purseframe for ceratin reasons, in that case I just classicpalm that single coin out of my right pocket and produce it from a specs clothing, beforehand commenting/asking.*Wherefrom have you bought that shirt/blouse..it is very nice..I like it..I can se it is worth money*..or similar remarks to prepare/make it possible for me to touch the material to produce the first coin..
Babling, bablings..but I answered the original question .. :)
I just carry a deck of cards.
[quote]
On 2004-08-17 05:05, prettylady1990 wrote:
I just carry a deck of cards.
[/quote]You like to bore ppl??? :)
Well, I carry a key ring (archangel), a bic pen, and my wallet (business cards for sneak theif and osterlinds watch routine, hidden playing cards for kollasal killer, coins, rubberbands and a double compartment for money, serial killer) these are just things I carry all the time. you could also do some pickpocketing. that doesn't always require stuff from you
-Deck of Cards + Marker

-Holy Moly

-Spare Change and a Half Dollar.
3 Barber Halves
Matching finger gimlet
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Aug 21, 2004 09:38AM)
Oh, and as to which of Eugene's books the quarter effect is from, or what it is called, I do not know. I learned it from a magiccian who had learned it from Burger.

Steve
An Altoids tin...what a GREAT idea...protects the props and looks like a natural item to have in a pocket. I agree this is a great thread.

[quote]
On 2004-07-12 13:55, jugglingeagle wrote:
A deck of cards, and an Altoid tin with a silk, a TT, a fingertip, a strand of IT, and a silver dollar. Honestly, how much more do you need? So many tricks are made posible with this stuff!

I love reading this post!
Jugglingeagle
[/quote]
Poker chip from MGM in Vegas. Fun Da Mentalist, Cards (Set up for REd hot mama), marker.
WR
I haven't see this idea posted ...

I would suggest that you purchase a copy of Martin Gardner's "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic" from Magic Inc. It will be one of the BEST purchases you EVER MAKE - it has hundreds of effects with everyday items in its 576 pages. Even if you were asked spur-of-the-moment to perform some tricks at a nudist beach, this books will provide your with the tools to knock their socks off.

For those of you who prefer videos to books (I prefer books), Tom Mullica and Dan Harlan have released videos and DVDs that cover some of the material in the Gardner book.

P.S. I also try to always carry a deck of cards with me as well, but if I can perform with borrowed objects, I do. The impact is always better.

Cheers.
I usually carry the fallowing:

-Deck of cards
-Rubberband
-Hundy 500
-Coins for Revolution, 3/4 Coin Across, Questionable trick, etc.
My business cards. I do Kuffs' Bold Business.
A TT, always (Patrick Page's "instant disappearance of a lit match" is a killer), rubberbands (Simon Aronson's ring-on-rubber band effect is also a killer) and, in my wallet, a few face cards and a 2-dollar bill prepared for Michael Close's "Dr. Strangetrick."
Message: Posted by: Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan (Sep 10, 2004 04:00AM)
I always carry rubber bands,borrow coins,cards,,,,,,,,,,,and last but least my creativity!
Pickpocketing is the best impromtu for me as well as watch stealing and BOBO's Bluff vanish
A marker, a deck of cards and three duplicates. that's enough for a decent T&R, Card to wherever, and transpositions.
Time machine
'eclipse' TT
Hummingbird reel
Rinkey-Dinkey
DeKram deck, plus 2 'anywhere' cards
TT, coins, rubberbands, a deck of cards!!!
Personnaly, I always carry a deck of cards, some spare change, and very often I will have a silk taht I use for "card thru silk".
Cards
switch wallet
british 10p & us quarter (coin change)
strings
wax
tt
rope and metal rings
2 identical tins with a silk in one for a switch trick
wand (if I perform for kids (big family))

thats it.... I think :P

raz
[quote]
On 2004-07-16 08:53, funemagic wrote:
I carry a roll of duct tape. You can do anything with duct tape.
[/quote]

Such as?
Cheers
TJ
I never leave home without a deck of cards, sponge balls, and enough quarters to perform winged silver.
Well,

I'm just starting to get confident enough with a deck of cards to start performing to absolute strangers, I refuse to without getting a good 6 months in of constant handling and rehearsal. Anyway I've started investing in Cigarettes (I don't and will never smoke).

Most of my friends and acquaintenances smoke so I've been practicing some great palms and vanishes with those. Enough to drive them nuts. Other than that. I carry around a pocketful of various change and my "boa" in my jacket for those metal manipulation effects. Other than that. Nothing at the moment. At least until I practice A LOT more. I carry most of these so I can entertain myself and practice at a moments notice when I'm alone.
Cards
marker
coins an [
I just bought Andrew Mayne's "GHOST MONEY"? so I'm anxious to see it. The effect is 3 penetrations with borrowed bills. You can always do a matrix with coins and dollars. So many options. Meir Yedid has a nice finger routine, etc...

-Joel
Normally...

* Regular Bicycle deck (Set for Breakthrough Card system)
* Ring for Pinnacle and Ring Thing
* Rubber bands for Pinnacle and CMH
* Couple of coins with [
* Real Man's Wallet
* TT (Set for Visi-Bill)
Since I just about always carry a deck of cards, a deck of cards.
A deck of cards with an odd back, and a dupe. Also, rubberbands on my wrist at all times.

Brian
ALWAYS have a folding coin in that small pocket in my jeans. If I have space for anything else, then a TT and a deck of bikes (normal).

BTW, the reason I keep the coin in that small pocket is not just for convenience. In absent-mindedness, I have SPENT so many trick coins and this has proved a very costly mistake! I learned to keep these in a separate pocket as a result!

There's now a few people wandering about with a hinged quarter (or UK pound coin), as well as quite a few Coin Uniques (VERY expensive mistake!!)
Man, there's some amazing advice here.

Thanks for the ideas!

I've been prone to carrying around a few coins and a TT, but I'm starting to pack my bikes as well. Had the opportunity to do a few card effects at a dinner party last night, and had to do it with borrowed cards.

I suppose the advantage to using a borrowed deck is that people can't suspect you of using gaffed cards, but sometimes the quality of the deck will "force" you to choose your effects wisely...

Thanks again, great post!

dali
Loops.. they're great, strong, elastic, invisible and you can do the most amazing stuff with them... heard that some people go on for days with them on
A set of coins, and a pair of dice for Sac's Dice. If I can, I bring a deck of cards. Rmax
I always have a loop on my wrist, hopping halves, a 10 p and 50p f**der and a misled gimmick. I stopped carrying cards around because I found it doesn't look impromptu. With the above, I can run six excellent strong routines that leave people truly perplexed - let's also remember that your greatest magical tool is how you present your stuff - if you work it just right, Misled gets screams from people as the pencil visibly melts through the note. (As a shameless self promoter, I have pencils made with my number and name on to give to the person who lent me the note)

Whilst I love cards, I save them for my routined shows. At impromtu events, I've often had people at dinner parties etc. remark on the fact that it was refreshing to see someone do magic with something other than cards...

Jay
In my wallet:
- The 4 aces for Twisting the Aces and Dr. Daley's Last Trick
- 2 rubber bands for CMH
- Packet of bills for Hundy 500/Slow Burn
- Often, I'll also carry my PK Pen or Misled.
A deck of cards and that's it bcause if I do a coin trick I like to borrow from the spectator.
Deck of cards:) Two half dollars. A card to wallet- just in case.
I always have scotch and soda, and the hopping halves with me.
Deck of cards, still trying to decide wich is the best card to wallet for me
I carry a haunted deck around with me at all times and a house key (non gimmicked)

Gareth
I carry nothing.
Always a TT and some change in my pockets. That's enough for me.
I always carry with me a bicycle deck (with two identical jokers, i.e. replacing the "guarantee" one with a regular one from another deck so that I can perform all sort of routines that require a duplicate) and a David Roth Eraser Coin that I manufactured myself (I perform the effect using my finger instead of a rubber eraser and normally after various vanishes with an identical borrowed coin)
I always have recap, loops, and a regular deck with one odd-backed card.
I carry Dean DIlls box around in a knapsack. Ready to go in a moments notice.
Always have a TT with me, some rubber bands, a deck of cards. If I'm at a restaurant I'll do vanishing sugar to sugar packet or vanishing sugar/torn
and restored sugar packet.
A deck of cards, coins, rubberbands, my wedding ring, real mans wallet with bills in it. Hundy 25, notice I din't say hundy 500
The "time machine" is always a good one to have with you, otherwise, a crystal casket and a sub trunk are always good things to have! LOL!
~Jessica
I pack myself with cards and My topit.
Monte 3.0, 4 Stickman (Richard Sanders), Borrow their coin for a short coin flurry
Two half dollars. I also wear a ring at all times that can be used for either a ring on rubber band, or a ring-off-rope effect. If I'm carrying a couple of 4' pieces of rope I can perform most of my regular stage act. If I have one I can still get by for a few minutes. If I've got none, it's time to borrow the rubber band.
I never leave home without business cards. I can do magic with them, and they get me the calls. They are of course in an O Connell Combo Wallet - simply the best- which also holds a Mis-Made Bill, and B Wave. Add a deck of cards and a Sharpe and I can do an easy hour.
I carry a deck of cards & thimbles. But my deck usually has some additions (opposite color card, small packet trick, etc whatever will jam in there without breaking the box). sometimes I'll carry an opposite color deck & am ready with many routines.
Currently I have coins
4sponge balls
jumbo and medium penny (working on dishonest abe)
sponge ball to square
color monte
my itr is broke ;/
TT for TT blendo and cig vanish
Currently I am carrying rubber bands for CMH, a '64 Half, 2000 gold dollar coin, and quarter for ungimmicked scotch and soda or for other color changes. Also a deck of cards with color monte on top.
Cards, four small sponges, and flashy coin trick like Scotch and Soda. The bigger sponges get a bit squashed in jacket pockets but I don't find the small ones too bad.
I carry two un-gimmicked decks of card in my coat pockets and a handful of change in a pants pocket. That is all that is necessary for a few impromptu tricks.
T.T. Silks Spongeballs 50 cent peices rubber bands, (have yet to gather the courage to use them sober though),my wife thinks I'm insane
My impromptu magic is usually with coins.

I've started carrying 3 ropes in my pocket, as well as a deck of cards, and a silk for card through silk (the latest addition to my repertoire).

I'll have to learn some more things that can be done with one silk. I think there's something done with coins and a ring.
Wow, this is a great thread. It's interesting that in the original post, Jordini asked what we carry when we're not expecting to do any magic. From the looks of it, we magician types are always expecting to do magic. :)
I can honestly say that I always have cards (one deck with a dupe, and an odd back) on me. (How embarrassing.) I'm also in the habit of having a coin or two, some rubberbands, and a TT. And as soon as I get that strike vanish down, a pen for ReCap.
Now, what I have with me when I am expecting to do magic...pretty much the same stuff, except I'll add a string, and maybe some flash paper. Hmmm, and a silk or two. Sponge balls will be coming soon, as I really need to get away from the cards...

Mike

[quote]
On 2004-09-03 19:23, markhammagi wrote:
Even if you were asked spur-of-the-moment to perform some tricks at a nudist beach, this books will provide your with the tools to knock their socks off.

Man, I hope I'm never at a nudist beach where people are wearing socks... :sick: I also hope I'm never compelled to do magic while at a nudist beach, as there would (hopefully) already be some strong, visual magic going on... :babyface: (And I'm not talkin' about me...)

Mike
I have four half dollars in my wallet. I carry a pack of cards and always have some loops on my wrist. Occasionally I will carry a TT
TT and small silk
Shoe lace and a borrow ring
$5 bill transpo
Business card
Rubber Bands
If I am at the party, cup and balls using their paper cup, plastic knife as wand and paper napkin as balls. These are enough for improtu magic.
I always bring along these item for impromptu tricks:-
A deck of card
Penetration pen
dice
rubber band
ring
string
gimick card
bite coin
strong small magnet

4 me even just coins in my pocket and a ciggerettes enough to do a trick or two.But incase they want more I always have my penetration pen & my mental tricks.
A deck of card, a wallet for card to wallet and the items necessary for card on ceiling.
I'm pretty new, just getting back into magic after years of not doing it, but now that friends are talking about my doing magic again, I'm starting to get asked. So at all times, I Strivings' "Warm Fuzzies Up Close". The set of stones I put together and the bag they live in will also work for Kurotsuke if I have a bunch of people asking for magic.

I also carry Scotch and Soda with me everywhere.

I'm sure as I learn more, and become more comfortable with it, I'll carry more stuff. Not so big a deal when you carry a purse you could hide a Volkswagen Bug in. :)

Wendy
I always have a deck of cards, some coins and a "Stock Holder" for some magic with business cards... It's impromptu, but it never hurts to be somewhat prepared!

;-)

Have a nice day!

Louis
I always have a deck of cards, rubber bands on my wrist, TT, business cards, and coins on me. I'll usually have a few things in my car (multiplying rabbits, cards with a different colored back, fantastic, maybe a couple of other things.
I usually have my bikes on me especially when I go up to london.Sometimes I have the professors nigtmare with me and a sub trunk.
If I'm really organised I might have a elephant with me for impromptu vanishing!!
A deck of cards and color monte. cant co wrong with that!
A pair of dice, for sacs dice, and four coins, and a [. If I have a jacket, then I take a deck of cards with me. I also have a duplicate of a card from a red bike deck in my wallet.
Message: Posted by: Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie (Jan 30, 2005 04:39PM)
I just learned Andrew Mayne's Ghost Bills, and wrote soem workable patter for it. I've tried it a couple of times, and I'm quite sure I'll be doing it regularly. I don't need to carry ANYTHING with me to do Ghost Bills!
Slo-mo bill switch, TT, shoelace and a ring.
Nothing, the one spur of the moment trick I do is with the other persons change, its a simple change of a quarter to a penny, quick, simple and to the point
A selection of rubber bands for CMH and one or two other band effects, possibly a couple of simple packet card tricks which can be done with all the emphasis on presentation, a TT and that's about it. Anything more would mean going out on the street armed to the teeth with magical apparatus!
I carry a Sub Trunk carrying Jay Sankey, Greg Wilson and Max Maven inside plus a TT. :)
seriously an hanky for various hanky tricks, 4 susan b dollars , sometimes a deck , and recently 10 little cards with 5 diff animmal pics on the for my version of "Will the Cards Match" ( THanks Peter Marucci)
Message: Posted by: TommyTheTremendous (Feb 1, 2005 12:09AM)
Tricks I ALWAYS have on me (since they fit and do not bother me):

1. Some half-dollars
2. A regular deck of cards
3. Quadriflex (in my wallet)
4. 2-Card Monte (in my wallet)

Once in awhile I will carry around my gigantic Half-dollar (which costs me $2) and it is the same year as one of my regular ones. It is about 1cm smaller than palm so I can just barely fit it into my hand. It's great to do just for laughs.
Two decks of bikes , coins and a TT, when I used to smoke I always had cigarettes on me, but now that I don't smoke I borrow from strangers to make disappear and reappear. Just on th spot stuff.
I prefer to carry a deck of card, some coin, my folding coin, and two rubber band. that's all for my little show!!!!!!!!!
Rubberbands... Easy to carry. Full examinable and extremely pratical... Loops are great too.
Scotch and soda , Pyro Perception...
Rubberbands on my wrist to perform handcuffs, joining and climbing ring.
Rubber bands for a 4 phase routine that leaves them stunned or for a fun puzzle you can not beat the Wonderbill.
A TT, deck of cards, coins, loops, sponge balls (on occasion), oddball (uses grandma necklace principle but I have everything examined and set it up right in front of their eyes without anyone being the wiser), Kolossal Killer.

Jimmy
A TT and a deck of cards.
Sorry not that exciting - seems like a lot of us concur!

-
Brian
3-D Cash plus other bill tricks in my wallet
Ghost Crystal
Haunted Key
A pack of Bikes
My Business Cards which I use for a card trick

I always keep some extra things in the car

Mr Mike
Im a beginner so actually I don't carry anything. but I aint either getting asked to show a trick just like that. a normal deck off cards, that's all I need. and mostly I make tricks at parties where there are cards.
Nothing you can take out of your pocket is as natural and innocent as a coin. For the impromptu demo that proves you can perform miracles take a quarter out of your pocket (better yet borrow one), do a retention vanish, use the Kaps subtlety to show both hands empty, turn hands palm down with coin classic palmed, load it back into the hand from which it "vanished" make it re-appear, and hand it back to your new friend. You have just demonstrated that you are a magician and not some guy who "knows a trick".
David Acer's 'Spare Change'. You'll never leave home without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I normaly have my bikes with me but if not there is always something at hand,coins,pens,napkins etc.
In my pants:
- TT loaded with silk
- Spongeballs
- Some Coins
If I wear a jacket:
- Mirage Deck
- Brainwave Deck
- Regular Deck
- double face and double back card
- Pen through dollar
Gotta be cigarette through coin and coin in bottle for easy fit in the pocket usage
The basics:
A deck of cards for all kinds of card tricks.
A pen for doing any prediction trick
and a coin.
Can't belive that there a no TT's in Australia and London...
Living in Canada, I carry a toonie shell and a TT.

I am surprised that so many carry a deck (or decks!) of cards for impromptu magic. Maybe I hang out with a strange crowd, but most people I know would think it pretty weird if someone "just happened" to have a deck of cards in their pocket ("And what do you carry in your other pocket? A chess set?").

That said, I have started carrying four stranger cards with me -- two each of bridge and poker size: one somewhat worn and dirty, the other fairly clean and new. Tricks using duplicate cards are only puzzling when done with your deck, but they become miracles when done with a borrowed deck.
[quote]
On 2004-05-10 00:54, Jordini wrote:
What do you have on you when you are just going out and about to say...the bank, or the grocery store, and you're not expecting to do magic tricks?[/quote]

I try to keep a deck of cards on me, but sometimes it gets left behind. But I always have a pack of cigarettes on me for magic.
I always have my wallet on me, so I keep coins in there for tricks. I got 2 1/2 dollars, 2 English pennies and a funny east African coin with a hole through the middle. With these 5 coins and "magic hands" you can do so much! I also always have a T.T with a blank piece of paper for note change. Besides all this I usually carry a loop on me as well.
I feel this is more than enough to do plenty magic and takes up very little room. What more is it looks as if you not prepared. The T.T and loop are utility gimmicks and no-one know you got them.
Deck of cards, pair of dice, nuts & Bolts, pyroperception, holey moley, color changing knives, rubber bands and index cards.
`you guys have too big pockets watch on the spot by greg wilson and carry 1 deck of cards
Deck of bicycle cards, a bite coin, my luck centimo and a head full of stories.
I carry Dreamweaver and a stripper deck with me always. They never fail to astound laypeople. If I have room in my pockets, I'll carry a Breakthrough Card System deck for those times when you really want to freak someone out.
I always carry a deck of cards with me... and a bite coin if I want to freakout some audience... laymen don't know wat real magic is all about so when I go to them I first ask what do they understand about magic and when they answer I will said "ahh ok this is my understanding about magic... pick a card" hehehehe....
Since I often wear a suit or at least a jacket - I have the topit. With that it's only the imagination that sets the limit and I can use various things available. Usually I have a purse with six coins and a [ in local currency. That way I can borrow coins or have my own well known coins and I can do a routine standing or sitting.
I carry rubber bands on both wrists, with which I can do about 15 minutes. I start with broken restored, CMH twice, found link, pinnacle, rhing thing, traveling cash, and I finish with star gazer, with both star rubber bands, and animal rubber bands. I always cary 10 or more rubber bands, and lots of business cards just in case I bump into Letterman, or Leno.
Al Angello
I always have a deck of Tally-Ho playing cards on me.
I try to carry as little as possible, but am ALWAYS prepared to perform. I subscribe to Jeff McBride's 24/7 Magician philosophy as well as agree with Tony Andruzzi when he said, "Either you are a magician, or you are not..."

Anyway most often I have:

- a small brass ring and a ribbon (for a ring and ribbon routine, as well as making a pendulum)
- A deck of cards (for a pendulum divination and virtually ungaffed haunted pack, as well as the plythera of card tricks people are usually assulted... I mean amazed with)
- In my wallet of course Kollsal Killer, and my business cards (For my version of sneak theif, spirit writing ala Anneman, prediction ala boon writer, and Max Maven's Positive/Negative)
- The afore mentioned Boon writer
- my vest I usually wear has a JSB topit in it, as well as the stuff haunted decks are made of.... hmmmm
[quote]
On 2005-02-16 04:05, stphotog wrote:
`you guys have too big pockets watch on the spot by greg wilson and carry 1 deck of cards
[/quote]

I wear a fanny pack to carry my PDA and wallet, etc. The extra pokets are for props.
I have also started wearing a loop on my wrist, love thses things.
However since they do collect stuff, I have gotten to the point where I have them in the envelope in a breast pocket, in a drawer at work, in the glove compartment of my car, etc.
I have access to them almost anywhere I am. A quick dash to the nearest restroom and I am ready to go (perform loop effects that is)!
The only ones I do so far is the floating ring, floating card or floating bill.
I havent worked on some of the other routines yet such as the fork stuff, etc.

GlenD
A pair of dice for Sach's Dice! I feel it is perfect. I also carry a set of halves with me. Every now and then, I will bring a deck of cards. But always the dice.
When I'm doing something impromptu for a kid I like to do Coin Unique (like a dime and penny but uses a half and a quarter), or a coin vanish using a TT.

With adults, I do a number prediction on the back of my business card--helped by a swami gimmick. If cards are available, I always do the Impromptu Future Foretold, a trick I devised and marketed about 30 years ago.

Ed Hutchison
I recently had to revise my list of very favorite impromptu items. They are:
Osterlind style memory demonstration with the mind reading kicker; Invisible Floating Quarter (my own thing); No Smoking ala Dan Garcia; Dischover ala Dan Garcia; Impromptu cap in bottle by Dan Garcia; Re-Capped ala Greg Wilson; Indian Bean Mystery as performed by Tom Mullica (if I can borrow beans or other suitable substitute); Spectator's Remorse ala Lee Earle if I can borrow a deck. Although I can't count them as totally impromptu, I always...and I mean always...cary impromptu nightshades by Paul Harris and Kolossal Killer as performed by Kenton Knepper and as modified thanks to ideas by Café members. They never fail. There are others, but these are tops in my book. Finally, I will mention Balducci Levitation. When it hits, it really creates a reaction!! When it doesn't, I've had some great laughs.
I do my center tear with whatever paper is lying around.
Usually I carry a deck of cards, a TT, some coins for Bill Palmers ungimmicked S&S, and a hotrod.
IT and some chinese coins
I alway carry a copper and silver coin in my wallet for a transposition effect.
or if I have nothing on me two in the hand one in the pocket is an easy one to pull off with little time.
carrying a tt is crucial forp those moments
In my wallet I'll have my 3 card monte and 4 Stickman (from Richard Sanders DVDs)
In my pockets, definately there is some loose change which I'll use to perform usually 3/4 Across or Impromptu Copper & Silver (both from On The Spot Greg Wilson)
And last but not least, I'll never leave home without my U3F....
I have:

a bic pen
a sharpie
a pack of bikes in a card guard
coin(s)-(usually a couple of quarters and a chinese coin)

... and depending on my mood I sometimes carry along the Linking Lifesavers trick and a bent coin.
I just use whatever is there.
I always carry cards and one card already gimmicked with IT
Make sure your tableware "trick memory-log" is full of tricks. The simple objects of a restaurant table have many fun tricks awaiting. :0)
Carry on me? A TT loaded with a 20 for bill switch. Carry too many things (like cards, gimmicks, etc.) and people will think you're a trickster. Magicians aren't always about using props -- there are hundreds of killer impromptu effects that are truly impromptu. Plus, as soon as you bring out the Hopping Half that 'just happened to be in your pocket', it seems like you're trying too hard to impress people. Magic is entertainment, rapport with the audience, and a baffling effect if there's time.

At a restaurant, I'll do sugar packet T+R (using TT), bending spoon to vanish, shaker thru table, etc. On the street or at a party, if someone says 'show me a trick', I normally do the ungimmicked thumb thru ear, or turn a 5 to a 20 and then say 'I do that a few times a day and don't need to work!', which gets a laugh and makes the point.

I don't agree with fizbin about 24/7 magicianing. Yes, you may always be prepared to do magic, but it doesn't mean you're always on call. Plenty of times, I'll refuse to do magic unless I feel it will benefit the situation, for the same reason I wouldn't expect a plumber to fix my sink 'as a preview', or wouldn't ask a comedian to 'tell me a joke!'. Props are fine for a paid gig, walkaround, whatever. At least people expect the magic, but when someone asks to do a trick and you pull out a ribbon and chinese coins, from my perspective it seems like you're desperate for an audience...impromptu should remain as such, or otherwise it's just the cheap version of your show. :D
Normally I always have my deck of Bikes. Now I am starting to carry around some rubber bands. If I am out to eat and someone asks to see a trick and I don't have any thing I perform sondge balls with paper napkin balls. It may sound funny but people love it, because it is so simple to understand. I would sedgest learning a good napkin routine.
Rubberbands around my wrist.

And Yes, Mr. Osterlind, I do your Center Tear.

Thumb Tip, Coins and a Deck of Cards.
In my Card to Wallet wallet, I carry Wonderland Bill, $2 bill tear, and sometimes I throw in some business cards. I usually have an ungimmicked deck, a bic pen (G.W.'s Recap) and some Morgans in my pocket.

After seeing Jeff McBride's 24/7 lecture this weekend on Cape Cod, I am re-evaluating what I carry.

...Yup, I'm going to carry 22 masks...
Hmm...Well in my wallet, I have color monte, bill flip/two dollar window, and quarters, dimes, and pennies for Toll Free (On the Spot) and Questionable Trick (OTS). Keys for Florida Keys (OTS) are in my pocket as well as a deck of cards (of course), a pen for Recap and my Stealth Pen. Scotch and Soda is sometimes there too (if I feel lazy, because S&S is (IMO) an easy trick).

Now, you might notice that something is missing, a TT. That is so because the 1st TT I got was too small for me and stuck on my finger too much. Being frustrated, I left the TT in a drawer. I also am always performing very closeup to people (1-2ft). Thus there is no room to use it and keep it hidden. I know that I am "missing out on the most essential magical prop ever." Anyone care to change my mind?
Not that much. I just have some rubber bands in my pocket and I always have some loose change and bills in my wallet. And if it's a lady asking me, I ask for her lipstick.
Invisible deck has been working well for those awkward moments when asked to show something

Always have a deck on me!!
If I have a little bit of flash paper Im good for the night.
A deck of cards with a dup card is all I need (sometime it is corner shorted). It's almost always on my person.

I have stayed at D Blaine's appt a few times and sessioned with him, and this is also the same setup he carries anywhere he goes (sometimes the cards are in a mem stack).
Just got turned onto David Acer's magic. Started using Cheap Labour and The Presidents Message (both from Natural Selections I) and his Spare Change routine. My audience response is WAY out of proportion to the amount of work involved.

So I am carrying pocket change, my bicycles, their case (set up for prez's message), a duplicate 2H (with a corner shortened) and Hollingworths Quartet. An entire close-up act that fits in one pocket of my blue jeans.
I carry a shoestring in my wallet for things like Disappearing knot. Also 4 Queens and That's Amazing which fit flat in my wallett.

I usually have my Walk-Around case with WA magic and T'Karri my Owl in the car or nearby.
Rubber bands, sweet rubber bands. Some coins, of course.
Coins, a deck of cards, and a lighter. Sometimes I also carry a TT and sponge balls.
Looking back at the original post that started this discussion, I see the question is what would you take if you were going to the bank or the grocery store. If I were a normal person (non-magician) in a line-up for a cashier or teller and someone pulled out a deck of cards, I'd definitely switch lines. I'm sorry, but, to me, bringing out a deck of cards in an impromptu situation plays too much into the "irritating-uncle-who-does-card-tricks" stereotype.

Tricks involving money go over really well in any setting -- especially a bank or store. I make sure I have a few loonies and toonies for Spellbound or Coins Across, and maybe a half dollar-bill for the Berland torn and restored bill. The only other "equipment" I might take is a Magician's Dream (the old one by Fred Bauman).
I carry a one and a five for a transpo effect, I also have my business cards that are made so I can do a couple of mind reading effects as well
I always have cards on me. Of I don't that means I don't feel like showing anything. But 99% of the time I have cards on me.
Perfect time is what I usually have with me, its perfect for on the spot because its so natural to wear a watch around
Rubberbands - plenty of them, plain and coloured, gives me a good range of tricks just from them

Deck of cards + sharpie - sometimes set up but usually normal (at least I can practice when waiting outside changing rooms for my fiancee hehe!)

maybe bitten coin, card for Torn, a Greed Bill or a Bill for Twisted and some loose change. Also I use a card to hip wallet as my regular wallet so I can always perform that if I need to!
[quote]
On 2005-08-26 13:50, miky wrote:
Tricks involving money go over really well in any setting -- especially a bank or store. I make sure I have a few loonies and toonies for Spellbound or Coins Across, and maybe a half dollar-bill for the Berland torn and restored bill. The only other "equipment" I might take is a Magician's Dream (the old one by Fred Bauman).

Hey, I thought I was the only one who still uses the Fred Bauman's Magician's Dream from time to time. Has there been any new and improved versions of this gimmick since this came out, I believe, in the early 80's?
Multiplying Rabbits!! Always goes over well with lay people. Keep in mind, they've never seen it!

Another great one -- from Doc Eason's video -- nuts and bolts. Tremendous.

Both of these are easy to carry in your pockets for a moment's notice.

-- Gary
Well, right now if someone asked me to show a card trick at a moment notice, I'd perform The Sweetest Sound by Scott Cram. It's totally impromtu using a regular deck of cards and of course no set up. However, whenever I do this effect, people are just perplexed as heck. They are completely baffled by how on earth their freely selected card is found using their name. And s/he cuts the deck twice.
I have three items for your consideration:

First silk vanish with TT
A card trick I got for free with my "first order from Vick Lawton's (sp?) House of 1000 Wonders - Been using it ever since.

oh and I try never to be farther than 25 feet from a Zig Zag ;)

Frank Tougas
I carry a Boris Wild bicycle deck a regular bicycle deck and a couple of coins, and one double sided coin. And a pen.
Kolosal killer,sung sign by lee earle and a haunted key not much really.
A deck of card with a dup, and I'll probably ask to borrow some coins ;)
Rubber bands and a couple of bill tricks. I like the 1 - 5 transposition from Ammar's series and the dollar bill fold where the spectator holds on to the door cut in the middle. The name of the last one escapes me (is it Wonder Dollar?). The tape is here somewhere).
Message: Posted by: Dusty the magic clown (Sep 13, 2005 01:51PM)
I carry cards or coins or I do a mathmental trick.Another of my favorites quick tricks the one where they have to interlock their hands upside down palm to palm and turn both hands all the way around without letting go.
I carry some rubberbands, a deck of bikes, $2 window in my wallet, and if I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt I always have a coin pull on.
Hopping Halves and/or other coins I can borrow from the requestor.
The best for me has been the TT and my gaffed coins or tricky Pens. The TT is the best since it is so amazing to perform and the audience really can't believe their eyes. Even those that know what it is all about seem to get a kick out of at least the audience reaction.

The coins do well for close up work but sometimes, it's a little too long of a routine for passers by. For them, I perform my Pen thru dollar routine, quick to setup and perform. Ever hear of Passin Thru. My latest writing utential I use. For those that think the pen is mightier than the sword should check out Passin Thru. It is a great routine that gets them to stop thinking of the pen.
Garret Thomas' "RING THING"
Just a deck usually.

I don't like performing to often when people request or demand to see something.
For ir's simple, to leave home without a Deck of my Bikes with a Odd Backer for Red Hott Mama is a sin...lol. So I carry.

1. Deck of Bikes, with a Set-Up for Red Hott Mama when needed.
2. Scotch & Soda.
3. Business Cards, & Pen for Banacek's Close-Up Pic. Duplication. (I must say this isn't a ALWAYS that I carry).
4. I use to carry a Silk with TT I still RARELY do but lots of people are Hip to T.T.'S now.

With the first two, or just a deck of cards you can entertain for a good half an hour if need be. Ed, (Eddini).
I carry nothing...LOL I perform free will with my business card or I do a impromt torn and restored bill.

tpdmagic
Here's what I carry EVERY DAY:

1. a stacked stripper deck.
2. TT with a bill inside (borrow their balled up bill, switch em, and devine the (memorized) serial number.
3. a penetration pen (B-2 Bomber is my personal favorite)
4. Thought Transmitter with my business cards inside
5. Super Sharpie
6. A bent nickel with an "X" drawn on it. Palm it, borrow a nickel (the thickest US coin) draw an X on their nickel, perform the Bobo switch and ditch the coin as you put the Sharpie away, then magically bend their marked nickel.
7. 2 rubber bands on my right wrist (for linking and to secure the Thought Transmitter).
8. Time Machine on my left wrist
9. Cell phone with "Wizard" listed in the phonebook. Have a friend's number listed as the Wizard. Force a card on someone, have THEM dial and ask for the Wizard, who already knows which card they have.

Practically a walking 20 minute mentalism show waiting to happen (all except for #3 of course)!

Feel free to e-mail me for any further tips or explanations...
chucklmiller@aol.com
Magic...at a moment's notice!

Recently been getting good reactions impromptu from - Blank paper to $10 bill (TT) & a Invisible deck with person using their cellphone to get card prediction from friend etc-very strong response!!
I always have:
TT
Color Monte
8 card BW
Hot Rod
and some assorted packet tricks.
TT
charming chinese challenge
flipper
shell
few .50 pieces
deck with short corner in si stebbin setup
nfw
scotch and soda
hundy 500
bic pen
super sharpie
ring
stock exchange w/biz cards
I always cary my trusted indian reel
It is great for lots of tricks
I usually carry a deck of cards. Probably the most effective trick I carry for those impromptu moments is the "Hopping Half." You cannot go wrong with that, and it is a trick that works with most angles.

Earl
Haunted key
paper for center tear
nail writer
thumbtip.
Fraances
I just carry my cards with me and very rarely a second gimmicked deck. With my cards I am set to perform a few effects to people.

Harv
Hot Rod
TT
Card to Wallet
Impossible Dream
*TT

*my homemade vanishing/transpo/pk system

*4 1/2 dollars for sylvester pitch and other various tricks
I typically carry a deck of cards and some coins in my pocket
Ted Lesley's marked deck, rubber band magic,color changing knifes, Las Vegas Dice, thumb tip - money morph,
Message: Posted by: Oklahoma Magic Man (Nov 22, 2005 09:58AM)
Wow, I love this topic. LOL :D Anyway, here's my list...

Almost Always:

Bicycle Card Deck x2
Quarter Bite
Cigarette Through Quarter
TT
Invisible Deck
PEN-etration Pen
The clothing necessary for a Balducci or King Rising Levitation, depends on my mood

Occasionally:
The Raven (Mainly for Coin Vanish, but also for other effects)
Spool of thread (You know, Hindu Gypsy Thread, Ring On Thread, etc.)

This list is subject to change, though. I'm gonna be going on a magic shop splurge pretty soon. XD
Kk in everyday wallet, paper for positive/negative, center tear, osterlind watch routine
Have added Wonderland Bill.
Peace,
Parson
Coin Purse w/4 Silver Halves and a C/S
2 English Pennies
5 Rubberbands on the wrist

And that's it!
Coin unique
I'v been going through this entire topic, it's been 46 min. since I started with post nr.1. and it's made me think...
It's kinda interesting to hear what peoples answers are to the "show me a trick" topic, It seems like many members are carrying a large magic-case everywhere they go??

I belive that great magic performed impromptu is one of the most amazing things we can do. Just think if a friend or co-worker asks you to do a trick and
your natural reply could always be with a question like:
"Ok, let me see: do you have some coins in your pockets?"
"Hmm, let's use this glass, could you please go and get that napkin on the counter over there?"
"Let me borrow your pen, could I also borrow your note book and a dollar bill?"
"Ok, but then you will have to do as I do, Ok?"

Beeing able to entertain with borrwed objects when your friend belives you to be caught of guard has to be something we all should be working on..

-e-
I just carry a Silver dollar and a deck of cards all the time.
Darwin Ortiz once told me that should be all you need to entertain someone should they ask on the spur of the moment.
If you ever have the chance to get lessons with Darwin or Alan Ackerman be prepared for at least a few hours of entertainment with just cards alone.
I attended a lecture with Jon Racherbauer once and was amazed that the man could do 6 hours of magic with just a deck of cards and never repeat a trick.
All of this taught me that just a deck of cards should be sufficient in most cases. I have been performing magic as a semi-professional for the last 15yrs and been in magic for 31 years. You never stop learning.
Later,
Mobius
New half $, old half $; Si Steb. Solari's Hell Bent, I would like to learn Wonderland Dollar and am looking forward to pursuing Café threads.
This thread has been very helpful with its diversity of information and gold like Eirik and Mobius offer.
"OFF BY ONE". THIS IS ALWAYS A killer. TIP.
Out to lunch w my business cards
B *Wave
Scotch and Soda
Rubberbands (CMH & more)
I like to keep my TT my CCK scotch and soda and hopping half and a silver dollar close and accesable most of the time

-mono
[quote]
On 2005-12-11 23:08, jackmagic1 wrote:
"OFF BY ONE". THIS IS ALWAYS A killer. TIP.

[/quote]

Do you mean Kollasal Killer by Kenton Knepper? Yeah I use to do that now I do Heirloom? Longer story but hit very well.
What do YOU carry on you for those "show me a trick" moments

My Most used effect would be Blank Paper to $20 note-Bill switch etc

Here the money is strong colours so very visual & easy to carry & perform!! with always good feedback!!
I always have some dollar slight and a deck of cards
I carry some dollar bills, coiins and buisness cards
I carry Mental Yarn in my wallet as well as a Magicard, a double headed nickel, a dime-and-penny coin, and a steel cored penny.

I have business cards, pocket change and bills, a pocket datebook, a pen, a pen-thru-anything, a chain (around my neck), a finger ring, and a watch. In my coat I have a tt, a magnet, and a haunted key.

Nothing that looks unusual, but enough to do an entire show if needed.

Tony
I usually just carry a deck of cards
I tend to have heirloom in my wallet, a loop on my wrist (if I think far enough ahead) other than that, if I can borrow a pen I'll do a recapped routine or I'll borrow a business card and do a torn and restored effect.

If it's impromptu at a party, I've been known to ask the host to mix up some flour and water, get a couple of 2 euro coins and a scarf and do psychic style routine whilst blindfolded - that fits in well at parties in someone's home, but not so practical for work on the street!

I carried around some healed and sealed supplies for a while, but the chance to actually do it outside of my home without carrying round ready 'done' cans hardly ever presented itself, so I stopped.
After meeting Gregory Wilson, all I carry around is change (and that's only if I'm heading to a remote location where there might not be money around... like Mars). If I'm just out and about, nothing. You'd be suprise how much magic you can do if you just look around. No seriously.
[quote]
On 2005-10-23 13:41, earlmat wrote:
I usually carry a deck of cards. Probably the most effective trick I carry for those impromptu moments is the "Hopping Half." You cannot go wrong with that, and it is a trick that works with most angles.

Earl
[/quote]

Earl,
If you like Hopping Half you should check out Mark Jenest's Short Hop (otherwise known as the Poor Man's Hopping Half). It is on his Miracles While-U-Wait video. Very entertaining and you don't have to go to the bathroom or a dark corner of the world to re-set it (it re-sets as you do it).

Doug

P.S. I just plain recommend this Video. Very worthwhile!
I used to carry a hip pack loaded for bear. I used to quip to my friends in the know that this is my $1,000.00 bag (more like $250.00). Now I have gotten turned on to the Black Tiger and Ghost Bikes (ellusionist.com) and the gaff they made for both decks. VERY VERY COOL! Now I'll carry one or the other with 1 or 3 gaffs and either the pyro perception or a micro ITR for a haunted deck or rising card effect.

I'm much happier now and so are my sheeple.

Doug
I just need a deck of cards.
It takes like 2 seconds of set-up but I also have a rope routine I love from Fiber Optics.
I also like to do a business card vanish...shameless self promotion
I am almost always armed with a deck of cards, but when I'm caught off-guard I'll do a tenkai throw vanish with a business card or a revolution vanish (Ellusionist's coin vanish). Sometimes, if I'm sitting down near a pack of sugar or I can get one quickly, I'll do a coin or ring in sugar packet trick.
Normally nothing, but if I think I'm actually going to be telling people I'm a magician, then just a TT and either Haunted Key or Cosmosis.
Stick a pen/pencil up my nose, in my ear and pull it out of my mouth
Immaculate Connection with business cards
I always carry simple things,folding dollar,floating match,and gimmicked coins. since a stroke my sleight really suffered. had to quit showing people at work though,a few had a bad habit of grabbing my props and asking "how does that work?"
seriously thought about letting them grab a nice razor blade.
A wonderland bill, a pack of bills for Slow Burn, and a Hopping Half set gives you a whole routine and as they say; packs small and plays big. If I am not in a mood for mentalism...or willing take the time and make the effort for a real routine.
Hi, this is my first experience of this forum. It is interesting to read what different people like to carry - I've already looked up a few of the suggestions as they are new to me. For my own part my current favourites are 'Phil Plus' (Lucy) and Nynam's 'Dead Of Night'. Also I find some flash paper and 'Wiregrams' always go down well.
I usually carry a deck of cards, sharpie, subterfuge, coins, and my mystery box.
Kolossal Killer always packs small and plays big with the right presentation. I was in Vegas the other day at one of the Houdini magic shops and acted as a volunteer for the house magician. He performed the standard foam ball routines and such and had the audience eating out of his hands. At the end of the performance I asked the magician to think of a card. When I pulled it out of my wallet his jaw dropped and the whole audience was at first in a daze and then began cheering. It was a great moment. Afterwards I chatted a little with the magician who wanted to know what that trick was called. All that to say that from that moment on I never leave home without it.
Scotch and soda and a deck of cards. you can go wrong with this combination!
Subterfuge and ITR (never leave home without them!)
Hi - I now do a routine with my wallet (Stealth Assassin). The only wallet I've ever bought I actually use as my real wallet!
Message: Posted by: Tyler_magic_skater (Jan 28, 2006 10:17PM)
I normally wear some rubber bands for the rubber band handcuffs routine.... That always gets some good feedback.
I usually carry a deck of cards(I prefer blue bikes) with some extra cards/different color backs, a pen, a sharpie,a loop, and the rest is up to impromtu and thinking on the spot.
Message: Posted by: Tyler_magic_skater (Jan 31, 2006 08:57PM)
There is a new floating match trick out. It was reviewed in the december issue of Genii. It uses a matchbook instead of a card and looks really good. Retail is around 15 dollars or so. You guys should check it out.
I love to do the coin in sealed soda can (Wayne Houchin, performed by Criss Angel). Totally impromptu and blows minds.

If I remember to grab it on the way out of the house, I like to carry a dollar bill, crumpled up into a tight ball with a piece of flash paper wrapped around it. It makes for a great impromptu "flash napkin to dollar bill" routine. It uses a very easy switch (one I learned from Gary Kurtz).

I generally do not like to do "impromptu" card magic as there is just something "un-impromptu" about cards.

Here's a goodie, if you can pull it off. If you are ever doing magic at a convention, have a friend go up to one fo the prominent figures (speaker, presenter, etc.) and casually ask for his business card. They are always delighted to hand them out, and your friend can make up any reason. Get this card from your friend. If, later, you get the opportunity to do some magic for this guy, you are in the amazing position of being in posession of one of his business cards before you've even met him. Now ask him for one of his business cards, and you have two. The possibilities are endless - T&R, for example. Or even make it vanish and reappear somewhere impossible (inside an orange, on the ceiling, wherever you can get it).

This opportunity will not always work out this well, but when it does, it's a great one!
Nothing at all usually :D
This whole thread has made me pick up a new interest in coin magic which I haven't spent much time on up to now. They are a perfect prop almost always around.
[quote]
On 2005-02-09 22:38, Wizardwannabe wrote:
Nothing you can take out of your pocket is as natural and innocent as a coin. For the impromptu demo that proves you can perform miracles take a quarter out of your pocket (better yet borrow one), do a retention vanish, use the Kaps subtlety to show both hands empty, turn hands palm down with coin classic palmed, load it back into the hand from which it "vanished" make it re-appear, and hand it back to your new friend. You have just demonstrated that you are a magician and not some guy who "knows a trick".

[/quote]

Now that's what I am talking about!
-bicykle deck
-TT
-rubber bands
-credit card trick
-marker

I think that is all you need to do make great show
I always carry around a deck of cards with me. But for those "show me a trick" moment" I would care all of; nothing. Borrow coins, a pen, a ring, keys, and bills, which every person has. That should cover you.

You don't normally carry mystery boxes, sharpies, spongeballs, thumbptip, and rubberbands unless you plan on performing magic. At least I can speak for myself.
Hundy 500 and another bill trick called "Cashier's Nightmare" that uses 2 double facers. Both of them start with five singles, and both blow people away.

I teach Cashier's nightmare on my dvd, "Behind the Curtain". You can see a clip of the dvd series here http://www.behindthecurtaindvd.com/page3/page3.html
A Sucker Die Box, Chair Suspension and 12" Linking Rings. And large pockets.
[quote]
On 2006-01-09 11:58, raphlo2 wrote:
Kolossal Killer always packs small and plays big with the right presentation. I was in Vegas the other day at one of the Houdini magic shops and acted as a volunteer for the house magician. He performed the standard foam ball routines and such and had the audience eating out of his hands. At the end of the performance I asked the magician to think of a card. When I pulled it out of my wallet his jaw dropped and the whole audience was at first in a daze and then began cheering. It was a great moment. Afterwards I chatted a little with the magician who wanted to know what that trick was called. All that to say that from that moment on I never leave home without it.
[/quote]

Please don't do this again. It's the performers/demonstrators time; I'm surprised he let you get away with it. Just some advice.

B.
-Deck of regular cards
-Couple of rubber bands
-Black & White surprise
I keep an "Invisable Deck", "Scotch & a Soda". I don't think I'm ready to perform "Sleight Of Hand" for strangers yet.
Magically,
Matthew Toner
[quote]
On 2006-02-17 15:27, Brian Roberts wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-01-09 11:58, raphlo2 wrote:
[/quote]

Please don't do this again. It's the performers/demonstrators time; I'm surprised he let you get away with it. Just some advice.

B.
[/quote]
First off, I don't need your advice.
Secondly, the person working the shop was more than happy that I contributed to his act. And if you know anything about Las Vegas magic shops, they're so commercial, (especially the Houdini ones) that the people that work them aren't really magicians so much as they are sales clerks.
Raphlo2,

Even though this is a place to give advice, you obviously have it under control, so sorry about that.

Really I was just trying to help, as being upstaged is very annoying; good trick , bad trick, however it turns out. I viewed Penn and Tellers Magic and Mystery Tour movie last night; they made a point of illustrating this very thing. Good people to take advice from by the way, as they make a point of calling out the bizarre behaviour in magic.

I just wanted you to be aware of Magic Etiquette; if someone is performing you don't pull out your stuff and start performing, not before the act, not during the act, and not after. This "tip" is for everyone, and comes from some very prominent people in the magic community and from common sense. I think it's ok to approach the performer on your own, without people around and show him your work; he may even be interested in it, like the clerk was in yours.

Thanks for informing me of the Las Vegas commercialism; I never would have thought that ;) I imagine there are some "magician-clerks" who wouldn't agree with your assesment of them.

IMO it doesn't matter who the performer is or what level they're at; resisting the urge to perform while another is performing is a good habit to get into. They have spent the time to gather an audience, not you. It's a very convenient moment that your up there with all eyes on you; I submit that your "great moment" will eventually turn out to be the least great thing about your magic career!

You know the more I think about this, the more it burns me; people should know better!

Best of luck with your magic, I sincerely hope you do well.

B.
I often carry a deck of cards, (i am mostly a card magician but do vary for gigs)

I always have my wallet which is a himber wallet, I use one side to carry stuff I need in my wallet, including business cards, I also have a double back in the see through bit for a card to wallet or ambitious card ending.

In the other side I have a business card showing in the see through bit, and also in this side of the wallet I carry b'wave, and 4 other cards, AH KS QH Joker, I can then use 3 of the cards for 20:20 or colour monte, or I can use all for for jumping jemini.
[quote]
On 2006-02-19 11:32, Brian Roberts wrote:
Raphlo2,

Even though this is a place to give advice, you obviously have it under control, so sorry about that.

Really I was just trying to help, as being upstaged is very annoying; good trick , bad trick, however it turns out. I viewed Penn and Tellers Magic and Mystery Tour movie last night; they made a point of illustrating this very thing. Good people to take advice from by the way, as they make a point of calling out the bizarre behaviour in magic.

I just wanted you to be aware of Magic Etiquette; if someone is performing you don't pull out your stuff and start performing, not before the act, not during the act, and not after. This "tip" is for everyone, and comes from some very prominent people in the magic community and from common sense. I think it's ok to approach the performer on your own, without people around and show him your work; he may even be interested in it, like the clerk was in yours.

Thanks for informing me of the Las Vegas commercialism; I never would have thought that ;) I imagine there are some "magician-clerks" who wouldn't agree with your assesment of them.

IMO it doesn't matter who the performer is or what level they're at; resisting the urge to perform while another is performing is a good habit to get into. They have spent the time to gather an audience, not you. It's a very convenient moment that your up there with all eyes on you; I submit that your "great moment" will eventually turn out to be the least great thing about your magic career!

You know the more I think about this, the more it burns me; people should know better!

Best of luck with your magic, I sincerely hope you do well.

B.

[/quote]
I do fine, but thanks for the well wishes. As I've said before I wasn't upstaging the "magician," he never felt that way, I can't understand why you do. I've wasted enough time on this.
Cig and Quarter, Color Changing Knives, and various coins. I also have a lot of impromptu stuff I can do...Thanks for Mike Weber's "Lifesavers" Book...
:hungry: :pepsi:

a deck of cards

a tt

a sharpie

4 rubber bands

lots of spare change
I carry a variety of items with me when I travel:
TT for hundred dollar bill switch
coins
various decks of cards
IT loops
I used to bring a "knife through coat" - I almost lost this at an airport, forgot it was in my carry on bag...
I usually have some Kleenex with me and can do a "sponge ball" routine with them or a torn and restored tissue.
All the time, only 4 coins .
Sometimes, when I think somebody ask me "show me a trick"
2 copper coins for various tricks, a karate coin.
A deck of card
A TT with several handkerchief
A pen with a cap
A IT Loops when I have a deck of card, for hanted deck or for lot of animations
And some rubber bands

Any questions ??

damien
I always have a deck of cards on me, and I keep a dupe in the deck. (I just change it out every few days). I usually have Holy Moly in my pocket ready to go. If you have this trick, you should try it out in a Hardware store on one of the clerks. Great Fun!
Lately, the 'Outlaw Wallet' for peeks (mental routines) and the 'No Smoking lighter' routine, both get tremendously strong reactions.

-Jared
Cold reading skills and Twisted palm routine by luke jermay IT FREAKS THEM OUT!! (in a magical way)

that would be carrying NOTHING (or when caught not carrying anything...if that happens sheessshhh!!)
I used to carry everything but an assistant in a skimpy dress. I had to drop the assistant because he didn't like the high heels.
Anyway after going the walking stage show route I discovered that my persona and delivery was more suited for less props and more patter.
So now I carry (if anything at all) between one and four TTs. Each loaded or prepped with some miracle and one empty for the come what may.
One change wallet that carries my money anyway and enough ins, outs and outright bafflegab to deliver 15 minutes of hanky panky anywhere- anytime.
I stopped carrying anything that looked like a magic prop many years ago as my delivery and presentation was geared around a person that had magic happen to them rather than someone that did magic.
I link my effects in such a way that its a continuous flow or story or happening rather than a series of tricks.
One or two effects and some good work with the audiance will get you a rep as a really fun guy to have around. I get a real kick when I hear from somebody who heard it from somebody about the weird stuff that happened to Tom last week at the restaurant. If done right then by the third retelling I did everything but vanish an elephant. Man am I good!
The biggest skill a magician can develop is JUDGE YOUR AUDIANCE. When I was really young I was an in your face magicican. I was so eager to show people stuff that you could hear the mental groans from people as I got near them. By the time I was a teenager and semi pro I knew how to not wear out a welcome and now I have an approach that is not an approach at all so I can judge the response and either carry on or gracefully bow out before I get in too far.
Some street magicians are getting us a reputation like the annoying mime joke.
Once or twice I have been approached in such an invasive manner that I've wanted to do something awful to them. Of course I never do - just play along and try to find a safe exit. Some guys can make it work - I can't - many shouldn't.
Whatever floats your boat though.
Hi all, I used to carry less, but since I went to Blackpool, I carry:

6 half dollars in my left hip pocket, along with mobile phone :P private stuff in the right hip pocket and elastic bands. Back right pocket I have a flash pad and a strong neo magnet, for ditching things. And bent coins. Back left pocket I have a nice ring for pinnacle and a few paper clips. In my right coat pocket I have a pack of cards and a fork or 2 along with a huge neo magnet. In the left pocket I have room for my normal private stuff, lol.
On my left side I have a small pull and on my right I have my sparkle flash :)

that's almost always on me, its great :)

Daz
People, do you go to the beach/pool/gym with props on you??? (well I wanna emphasize on the beach/pool thing)
Well, I carry these things almost everywhere, if I was going to the pool, I would leave them in the car, lol. I went to the beach with all the stuff I listed on me apart form cards, and I clipped my pull on more than usual, so yeh, I do :)

Daz
Well I always carry a loop I love loops but also:
bit out quarter
a deck of cards
and sometime a Svengali deck

I think with that and the use of my imagination I can do a lot of things in a noticed momment
I carry a sharpie pen(never know when someones got a quarter and full can of pop).and my wizard ring.
Deck of cards
Do you guys have problems with security alarms going off while wearing the raven? twice I had it hooked up and had problems with the security alarm (the ones when you walk out a store)

luckily they just let me go, but I would hate to have to explain what it was for.. then they would really think I was stealing.. or making tins of altoids disappear. haha

[quote]
On 2004-06-17 02:27, dynamiteassasin wrote:
I bring:[list][*]A deck of Bee cards[*]An Invisible Deck[*]Post-its for Dough[*]Paper Bills[*]A Coin Bite (the one I made)[*]Fishing Reel[*]A few coins[*]Collapsible Sword[*]B2 Bomber[*]Misled Pencil[*]Flaming Wallet[*]Bendable Pen[*]Cigarette Thru Coin[*]Thought Transmitter[*]Sponge Balls[*]Multiplying Balls[*]Two cards for Card Warp by Roy Walton[*]Two Card Monte (gimmicked)[*]Coin Paddle[*]Ball and Vase[*]ITR[*]M5[*]Raven x2[/list]
[/quote]
I only take some coins and a deck of cards around with me, most of the times I carry a TT as well.

~Taylor
A deck
2 of the bent cent pennies
a handful of extra cards(maybe 5)

vash
Tt always and the yot
I always carry a deck of cards, and the bite off quarter......
2 Rubber bands - then borrow a finger ring...and I'm set. (Garcia rubber band routine.)

You can almost always get a BIC ballpoint somewhere and do the classic Recapped by Greg Wilson.
`Of course, PK time is the ultimate impromptu MIRACLE.
Hundy 500 and rubber bands. When my Outlaw arrives, I'll probably start carrying this too.
The one trick I am never without is the KH tattooed on my inner forearm. So if I have full deck available, I can do a great card reveal. Best tattoo I ever invested in. Now if I could psychologically force that card with NO deck at all I'd be set for life.
Lately I carry around a couple of rubber bands, t***** boss, 4 half dollars,a pk m***** ,a couple of dollar bills and a card deck. This pretty much enables me to set up an impromptu routine if I have to without being locked into one style of magic.
Dr. North, I'll bet that nobody who knows you ever picks the King of Hearts again after the first time. :)
I carry a deck of cards, 1 extra card, 7 halfs, 1 centavo, 3 quaters, 1 half card, 1 sharpie, 1 pair of sissors(hey, you never know), a 3 foot rope, a 8 inch rope, D'lites, tt, and my spider pen.
Rob Pond
A deck of cards, a few rubber bands, a half dollar, and Two Dollar Window.

Regards, Steve
~some rubber bands around my wrist
~A ring
~Buisness cards
~Maybe a couple coins(I usually borrow them though)
~My arm(lol) for Dis-Jointed, if you don't have this get it, its amazing.
~Folding coin
~My keys(key deposit)
~some random paperclip or safety pin

Cameron
I suppose I'll weigh in on this long-lived post . . .

* I try to have at least one BCS deck on me (and a second in my briefcase or backpack if I'm carrying one of them: if one gets unstacked, someone's always wanting to "look at the cards", giving me excuse to get out the other deck "while they look at those ones"). I do a couple of effects out of the box, then do some standard-issue location or another that allows the deck to be shuffled. It draws the heat off the fact that I had a deck ready to go . . . people don't think about sequence, and they don't think about changes in M.O., so "And he let me shuffle the deck as much as I wanted!" gets remembered. (Three minutes in the bathroom and I'm set again anyway . . . ) My current favourite locations are "Sweetest Sound" and "Hitman", for female and male spectators, respectively.

* People always like to see coin vanishes (especially kids, who are much more bold than adults about "Show us a trick!", but I like to use their quarters. I try to have a Sac dollar on me for changes, and another quarter or two for multiplication, though.

* I'm in love with my marked Royal ESP symbols. Although, off-the-cuff, I use them mostly for locations and card-calling, rather than "real" mentalism.

Cheers!
Keith
Cards and a bent coin to perform a quarter bend.
I always carry the "Quantum Bender 2.0" and a few rubber bands.
[quote]
On 2006-05-20 19:27, airship wrote:
Dr. North, I'll bet that nobody who knows you ever picks the King of Hearts again after the first time. :)
[/quote]

Thank God for forces!!
I alwayz carry the spider pen
Loops and coin in bottle,
Magically Yours,
Ste
Hey all,

I don't really carry stuff at all times, but I am armed with tricks that use stuff I always find around me. I find myself performing the Gregory Wilson Pen Cap routine a lot -- I love it how every movement has a purpose, nothing extra.... It's almost perfect...

Thanks

Matt!
I absolutely never, EVER leave home without my blue D'Lites, a regular TT and some kind of paddle trick, (usually a Hot Rod). In a zipper pocket in my wallet, I have a mis-made bill for switches, which always also goes with me.

I have a little nylon case that snaps onto my belt and that has a zipper close on it that I got at Wal-Mart for less than $4. I take that with me more often than not. That has a couple different Hot Rods in it, Las Vegas Dice, some rubber bands, flash string, a dime and penny trick, (with bang ring), a flipper coin, a silk or two, Jay Sankey's Holy Moly, and a single chain link, a double link and a triple link of chain.
I carry most of my kid magic in my car. I also have a walk around pouch with a couple of gaffed decks, a couple of hot rods and a few other tricks. (quarters thru brass, etc) In my wallet I keep B'wave and my business cards are always in my 2 sided wallet for my "Oh, I ran out of cards...wait,*snap* here they are!" gag.

Doodad
Johnson Flipper/shell combo
3 normal half dollars
Stealth Pen (Pen through dollar)
Deck of plain cards

*Oddly enough, the pen through dollar is usually what steals the show.
With a deck of regular cards, I'd show 'em The Sweetest Sound by Scott Cram. Totally impromptu and you get the spec personally involved in this effect.
Rubberbands, ring , cord, a 20 cent piece, and a packet trick (Double Back, Charge It, Three Card Monte, etc.}.

Chappelly
You guys carry cards, gimmicked coins, and thumb tips on you AT ALL TIMES? I can't imagine. I have Bendover Bills and Roger Klause's Bill Transpo in my wallet, that's it. Other than that, it's borrowed and impromptu. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I'd feel like a major geek if someone asked to see a trick and I replied, "Well, luckily I just happen to have this silk with me. Does anyone have a Mexican centavo with them? Oh wait, here's one....."

Peace.
1. A deck of Bikes
2. A Brass Hot Rod
3. My Business card holder which contains:
-Entourage
-WOW
-Some duplicates
-And of course business cards

I can do 2+ hours of close-up with what fits in my pockets :)...comfortable too, I may add.

~Magically,
Dave
[quote]
On 2007-09-27 07:09, Dai Hard wrote:
You guys carry cards, gimmicked coins, and thumb tips on you AT ALL TIMES? I can't imagine..."
Peace.
[/quote]

Here's how for a TT... I've got 6. One in each of my jackets. Pretty much guarantees not being without one. They're cheap, it's not a lot to spend.
I always carry a Haunted Key on my key ring, and at least a well worked ID in every coat I own.
Rubber bands
deck of cards
sometimes a half dollar
Time is Money
A TT and small silk
Rubber bands for CMH
A "Find the Lady" type card trick in my wallet
A few coins
Message: Posted by: one funny magic boy (Nov 3, 2007 11:39PM)
Bill switch its killer
I'm with Tank. TT and bill for bill switch, rubber bands, and coins.
I carry a small puch on my belt with-
A deck
Cards for my handling of twisted sisters
Tarot cards for Paul Wilsons Gypsy Monte
Free will
Hopping Halves
A few dupes & gaffed cards
Outlaw wallet
A mini sharpie
I have a Pimpernel wallet as my every day wallet
A T.T. in my pocket

Always ready!

Mike
I carry a TT, coins with some gaffs, and my greed gimmick.
Always, no matter wherever I go, I always carry the "this, that, other," card trick and an effect I created called the "coin melt."
I hate carrying a pack of playing cards when there are other effects that aer stronger and don't take that much space.
I didn't read through all these but I think the best answer would be nothing. If you really have to carry coins and deck on you, and six packet tricks and a rope all the time, maybe you need to learn some tricks with objects that are readily available.

Plus I feel like a nerd having all kinds of stuff on me and it is bulky.
I use business cards and do a positive/negative routine with a switch out.
Borrow as much as possible!

As a mantalist:
Pen and paper for CT and Magic Square, Q&A, number predictions, and Drawing duplication.
Newspaper and needle for prediction
3 Cups for Hide the ball
Or do some of the many bodytricks, Twisted arm, Folded arms, Broken arm, Bodylift,
Use suggestion for some hypnosis effects
Banknote SW serialnumber effect
PK Touch and PK Time

Favorit carry always props: SUC and Business Cards

As a magician:
Rubberbands
Fingerring and a shoelace
Crubled pieces of (news) paper for sponge ball routine and over the head
Aluminiumfoil balls for in the nose, eye and head

Carry always: Nothing (Sometimes flashpaper)

best,
Dr. Eamon
I only take a ring, and do ring tricks.

Heres a demo of my routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY0eZfB43D8

I find that taking cards around with you makes you look geeky, almost begging for someone to ask you to show them a trick, and gets poor reactions - meaning magic with impromptu normal props always gets a better responce.

Stephen Ablett
I'm in the camp that believes if you could really do magic - you could do it with anything. I always have my Hundy500 in my wallet, but rarely reach for it. Rather, I employ the magician's choice force with objects readily available, and close with some sleight if necessary. Works for me.

- Eric
Cards and 4 coins with a shell
Hundred dollar bill switch, Endless chain, Ghost deal packet trick.
Let's see....

In truth, I usually only work out of -Gasp_ a wallet.

In said wallet is really not much. Usually a coin, which I can use with other borrowed items to get a "sense-where-the-coin-is" type effect. Also, where people usually put pictures, I have a small memo pad that I have cut down to size to use for predictions. This let's me do any centre tear effect, write predictions for psychological forces, and various other things. the only other thing in there is two safety pins for a link/unlink thing.
[quote]
On 2007-12-05 17:02, Montethrower wrote:
Let's see....

In truth, I usually only work out of -Gasp_ a wallet.

In said wallet is really not much. Usually a coin, which I can use with other borrowed items to get a "sense-where-the-coin-is" type effect. Also, where people usually put pictures, I have a small memo pad that I have cut down to size to use for predictions. This let's me do any centre tear effect, write predictions for psychological forces, and various other things. the only other thing in there is two safety pins for a link/unlink thing.
[/quote]

no money? lol
For me, it seems I get the best reactions if I can either (1) use a gimmick they never see or know exists, or (2) use whatever normal items are at hand. I am always looking for a way to make rubber bands, coins, napkins etc. look like they belong. Haven't figured out how to do that with a sponge ball, however.
[quote]
On 2007-11-30 14:12, ku7uk3 wrote:
I only take a ring, and do ring tricks.

Heres a demo of my routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY0eZfB43D8

I find that taking cards around with you makes you look geeky, almost begging for someone to ask you to show them a trick, and gets poor reactions - meaning magic with impromptu normal props always gets a better responce.

Stephen Ablett
[/quote]

Very impressive.
My hands!!! oh...and anything that I can palm
I usually always carry some coins and dice to practice with when I'm "killing time". For that matter, I usually carry a deck to play with also.
But, when asked to do impromptu, because they heard or know I do magic, I usually borrow a few quarters and do a few coin tricks and then use napkins, cig's, or other stuff available there.
After that, if they want more, I'll bring out cards, dice, Endless Chain, 3 Shells or whatever I'm carrying that I'm playing / practicing with and have with me.
I always carry a bill change (from an old burnt bill to a new one) in my wallet and usually Slam by Travis McPherson and Perfect PENetration
I usually carry a deck of cards with me and an invisible deck, a tt. That's it and of course the knowledge I have retrieved from "Lifesavers" & "The Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic". I don't remember if it was mentioned, but if I am called on to perform on an impromptu situation, I will do one trick.

Charlie
I usually carry a deck of cards with me and an invisible deck, a tt. That's it and of course the knowledge I have retrieved from "Lifesavers" & "The Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic". I don't remember if it was mentioned, but if I am called on to perform on an impromptu situation, I will do one trick.

Charlie
Nothing beats a TT. You can do amazing things with borrowed items.
I always carry a deck of cards, a hot rod and my altoids tin ready to do card on ceiling.

CraftyOne
About 6 months ago I was with my parents in a small Café/bar where they live and I did the floating bill for them. My parents were blown away. My mother being proud of her "magician son" insisted I do the trick several more times that evening for her friends. I admit that I broke the "cardinal rule" and repeated the bill float several times that evening (my mother can be VERY insistant) but the reactions just seemed to get better and better. Each time I did the trick I tried to alter the technique a bit to make things different but everyone was still amazed that I could do this. I didn't want to repeat the trick as much as I did but it was all I had with me at the time and like I said, my mother can be VERY insistant.

Now every time I visit my parents someone almost always wants me to do a trick for them. 6 months ago I was a "one trick pony", not any more. I go prepared. I have my trusty assassin's pouch loaded with a TT, silk, sponge balls, hot rod, a pen thru effect, etc. I just got Extreme Burn a few days ago and I'll definitely be "paying the bill" using that. LOL

You never know when you are going to be asked to do a trick so now I try to be prepared...
When I go out, I am wearing two loops, and am carrying a deck of cards in one pocket, with a gimmicked deck in the other. I also have a PK pen with me.
I always carry pinnacle a deck of cards and a TT.
My pocket inventory complete changed over the past two or so years. I used to carry a ton of stuff (cards, sponge balls, TT, etc...[funny thing is, I would only perform with the cards and everything else collected "dust" <-- read pocket lint]) but now I just carry my Johnson Expanded Eisenhower Dollar Shell and 4 matching coins, a Johnson expanded Quarter shell with a few matching coins for that as well (for those "apparently impromptu" situations), and that's about it. Occasionally I'll take my TT, but not always. I've become coin crazy.

-Vinny
I carry something different every day so none of my props feel left out:). I always have 2 dice, Hideout wallet with KK and Pocket Space, and a few quarters for 3/4 across or Sankey's Mr Clean coins across.
I always have a few things on me. Everytime I go to the dining hall I swipe an extra fork so if I encounter a situation during my meal I can do a fork bend. I always have rubber bands on my wrists for chris kenner's missing link and CMH. I have a ribbon or shoelace in my pocket for ring and ribbon, and I have a deck of cards, a marker, and a prepared joker for Jay Sankey's "graffiti." Another new addition is one that I can't remember the name of, but it's out of scripting magic. The premise is a short patter on the history of counterfieting, meanwhile a borrowed bill is folded over a blank slip of paper. After the patter concludes, the packet is unfolded to reveal that the slip of paper has become a dollar bill. I love it because by the time they realize it's a magic trick the moves are done with. I rarely do all of what I described here at once. I try to follow the rule of three and out or just one.
I always carry a TT and 4 sponges, carry that and you're ready to go. Most of the time there's a pack of bikes in one of my pockets, and if I'm going somewhere that may lead to a booking (and lots of places do)I'll carry the Omni Deck Gimmick.
A deck of cards, I will also do coin tricks with borowed coins.
I carry a deck of cards and a half dollar with me at all times
I carry a TT, a shoelace for finger ring on string, Extreme Burn, 4 half dollars and just recently Holey Molely using poker chips.
Always have coins (in my pocket), cards (in my backpack). And of course, my PK ring! Business cards -- lots of neat stuff there.
I always have a deck with me. Usually it'll carry a double backer and a few dupes. Also, I carry my halves on me all the time.
Usualy, when someone asks me to do some magic I don't start doing card tricks.... normaly I carry one loop on my wrist, I ask for a bill or a pen and make it float or move.

That's a goooood start, once a good magic athmosphere is created it's time do some card magic.

Spider pen it's a good prop also, very powerful magic.

Cheers
Departure and freakey are on my keys ready to go!! Loops are always a lifesaver. Rubberbands on my wrist are nice too. I can do whole sets just on rubberbands. This is without cards by the way. :)
[quote]
On 2009-02-14 08:20, slyhand wrote:
I carry a TT, a shoelace for finger ring on string, Extreme Burn, 4 half dollars and just recently Holey Molely using poker chips.
[/quote]
Poker chips? That's a great idea! I don't know if I am skill to drill a hole onto the chip.
I actually carry ESP cards in my wallet. It's great because they are marked and I can also perform some other routines with them including esperfect
Hello All!
Since I always carry a biz card in my wallet, I'm ready to do a quick prediction using Scott F. Guinn's "Assertive Positive Negative"!
It never fails to impress!

Plus they walk away with your biz card..... :)

Respectfully,
JRRocha
I had great fun with 3CM . Three coins from nowhere and your left completely clean.
I am doing Impromptu Rock, Paper, Scissors over the phone as a demo (Can also be done Naked On A Beach style)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=260181&forum=15&38
I mostly do some finger magic first which always gets some laughs, then I continue with borrowed coins.
I always carry some coins, a watch, a pen and a small notepad with me. These are items that I need anyway. Because I'm doing mostly mentalism, I don't need more.

If I know I will be asked, I put some more items in my pockets.
These days.....one chinese coin, one BIG half dollar, dragster hot rod, thimble. Out in the truck just in case on standby...black scarf, smaller red scarf, TT, Okito Box with five half dollars, charming chinese challenge, deck of cards. Glen
TT
Never leave the house without my TT, Card to wallet (I don't bring cards but have had them handed to me many times), Time Machine, and some rubber bands. I borrow the coins. Can perform just one trick or a whole act and really only have to store TT and bands the others I need anyway!
Rubber band effects are definitely great for those spur of the moment happenings. Noting like pulling out Crazy Mans Handcuffs at the last second and then frying your spectators with it.
[quote]
On 2004-05-30 16:37, Matt Andrews wrote:
As a newbie, I have the following items with me :

- A TT
- Rubber bands for CMH and for ring thru band (Pinnacle)
- one or two decks (one non-gimmicked, and either Cardtoon for the fun of it or an invisible deck)
- And safety pins. Dreamweaver and Pindemonium are great effects, and pins are very easy to carry around.

Mathias (from Switzerland)
[/quote]

Funny, Mathias!! What kind of trick do you specialize in? I'm into supernatural http://torahforever.net/spiritual/evil-eye-info-facts-removal.html
I never carry any magic props when I'm not performing, but if I do get a request to perform a trick, I will usually perform Yoshio Hirose's Rip It Revolutionized. It can be found in the Secret Sessions DVD put out by Bob Kohler and Daryl. It is an impromptu torn and restored dollar bill routine that is incredibly visual and requires no set up. If I have a dollar bill, I'm ready to go.

Lou Serrano
I took the habit of putting on a loop in the morning. That way, I just need to borrow a piece of paper, a pen or any small object.
I also took an afternoon one day to list a dozen no-equipment tricks I like (mental tricks, arm twisting, etc.) and think of good presentations and segways to connect them. So I know that, even half-naked in a pool, I have a routine of about 45 minutes ready.

cheers
Message: Posted by: RealityIsDeception (May 13, 2009 03:08PM)
No doubt about it, The Stealth Assassin peek wallet! I'm completely in love with the wallet. I usually have three predictions ready at a moment's notice. Besides the Sharpie and a deck of a cards, that's it. Sometimes, less is more. I know of a few guys that carry everything and anything and start scrambling once they are asked to do something. I definitely like making a big impact, and then of course- dropping my business card.
I always have some rubber bands and my pk ring with me
I've been carrying a squeaker around as of late and man is it fun!
Just my mind, sometimes pen and paper.
Business cards. I do card warp with them.
My pinkey. See Will Houstoun's DVD on bending your pinkie. Awesome and great reactions.
2 elastic bands, loops, psypher, 2 forks for metal bending, half dollar coin as misdirection for pickpocketing.
Promystic's MD mini... always comes handy.
I always carry 0ne half dollar, and rubber bands for crazy mans handcuffs. After I'm done, I can give them out for the person to keep. They will remember you for it.
Rubberbands and a deck of cards
I have studied and performed rubber band magic for ages but some of these abbreviations can get confusing. Thusly I ask: Can somebody please clear up the CMH name for me? Thank you!

I always carry four Walking Liberty halves and a copper coin, which changes occasionally. The rest I borrow from spectators, i.e. a pen and paper bill for Driven/Misleading Misled, Re-Capped, silk scarves from women for Coin Through Silk effects, borrow a deck for Cannibal Cards or Twisting the Aces/Waving the Aces, etc.
CHM:
Crazy Man's Handcuffs

:)

Rochaz
I carry a Hip Pocket Mullica for card to wallet, also contains the bills for Hornswoggled and B-Switched. Best thing I carry is a business card size wallet rigged for Out to Lunch. It's filled with business cards and also a Out to Lunch Miracle. Also some business cards with altered zip codes, ala Larry Becker, for a mental effect.
I usually leave the house with several 1/2 dollars and quarters, a squeeze change purse with several coins that are used for switches, TT, and book of matches. Sometimes I will include a piece of rope,rubberbands, cc knives and rainbow streamer for TT.

-Pete
[quote]
On 2011-05-26 08:25, rochaz wrote:
CHM:
Crazy Man's Handcuffs

:)

Rochaz
[/quote]

Yeah, thank you! Twenty seconds after I submitted the post, I did not think to edit it, but I had that DUHHHHHHHHHH lightbulb moment...You know how that goes...
[quote]
On 2011-05-30 15:33, Peter Stobie wrote:
I usually leave the house with several 1/2 dollars and quarters, a squeeze change purse with several coins that are used for switches, TT, and book of matches. Sometimes I will include a piece of rope,rubberbands, cc knives and rainbow streamer for TT.

-Pete
[/quote]

I just picked up a coin purse at a well-known discount chain for $5. It has two pockets: In the outer pocket, I have some half dollars and at least one copper coin and a quarter. Inside, I have a some gaffs (the quarter through the bottle always goes over well), a TT and mouth coil.
I do the coin in iPhone. It's not as forced-feeling, good for all ages, and great no matter how much lighting you have. So simple and fun.
My deck of cards,
TT
Reality Twister
Torn & Restored Post-It Note. It's the easiest double lift in the worlde. The rest is acting and a sure fire lighter.
For mentalism requested at a moments notice I carry:

- 8 Card Brainwave
- business cards & pen

or sometimes I'll do a quick palm reading

David
2 decks of cards, 3 silver coins and a copper coin or two.

Then I'm set for a coin set, followed by my favourite card routine :)
If I'm just doing day to day stuff I carry my split £2 coin and my jumbo £2 coin. These are ALWAYS with me, and fit nicely in my wallet. The reaction I get at the end of my 1 coin routine, when that jumbo appears, totally floors people because it seems impromptu to them. The jumbo fits nicely in my wallet and surprisingly doesn't hinder my day to day wallety needs at all. I have tag-o-magic on my car keys.

If I'm going to a party or something though, ill take my packet trick wallet which is loaded with:
Colour monte (aces instead of the printed cards)
Its done with mirrors
Extreme burn
Safety Hole (hole in credit card)
Dream Paddle
Photoshop (most recent addition) have it loaded with a £2 coin photo ready to lead on to one coin routine.

that's pretty an entire show in my pocket, taking up hardly any space.
I swear every time I walk into a thread everyone else leaves.
Ha! I'll make sure you're not last. Besides, it looks like this one keeps getting resurrected.

I'm not to the point of carrying stuff around with me yet, and I don't seem to go anywhere but to work and back home! But I do keep a deck of cards, a fifty-cent piece, a 12" silk and some rubber bands in my drawer at work to mess around with when I'm on break or lunch.
ID and a regular deck.
I always carry John Bannon's Bullet Party in my wallet and a card loaded behind my phone for a little trick I came up with
Usually a few balloons for "pressure" and at least one deck if I get moments to prepare
Hope my Answer helped :)
Bill Abbott's "Power Ball 60" and John Bannon's "Royal Scam"
[quote]
On 2009-02-06 11:48, vpatanio wrote:
My pocket inventory complete changed over the past two or so years. I used to carry a ton of stuff (cards, sponge balls, TT, etc...[funny thing is, I would only perform with the cards and everything else collected "dust" <-- read pocket lint]) but now I just carry my Johnson Expanded Eisenhower Dollar Shell and 4 matching coins, a Johnson expanded Quarter shell with a few matching coins for that as well (for those "apparently impromptu" situations), and that's about it. Occasionally I'll take my TT, but not always. I've become coin crazy.

-Vinny
[/quote]

Yet another evolution over the last few years...

My current daily inventory is mainly a deck of cards +/- a few coins...sometimes I'll carry nothin'.
"Exact Change" by Greg Wilson is fantastic and plays totally "impromptu." Besides a deck of cards and an easy money gaff, this has become the only gimmick I carry around with me on a daily basis.
Normally I carry just a deck of cards, but try to have something set up with them, occasionally carry a TT

Oh and always a sharpie marker
Hi guys,

normally I carry a few things with me:
- Mandolin-Cards with one or two cards for Twilight Angels and a Sharpie
- my everyday wallet is prepared for Card to wallet.
- In the same wallet is my InnerCircle Card carrying a set of Loops
- and there are also two or three coins in it. Usually a normal, a flipper and a cigarette through...coin.

Since 4 weeks I'm also carrying UltraGum and / or Sticky with me.

Cheers

P.S. I'd like to carry a TT with me but I don't know where to put it without having the fear of losing it :)
[quote]
On 2012-09-12 01:53, Nikki78 wrote:

P.S. I'd like to carry a TT with me but I don't know where to put it without having the fear of losing it :)
[/quote]

In the UK, a lot of jeans have a little pocket at the front that sits inside the main pocket. Perfect place for a TT. It fits snug & I only have to put my hand in the main pocket to engage it.
[quote]
On 2012-09-12 06:34, Russell Davidson wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-09-12 01:53, Nikki78 wrote:

[/quote]

In the UK, a lot of jeans have a little pocket at the front that sits inside the main pocket. Perfect place for a TT. It fits snug & I only have to put my hand in the main pocket to engage it.
[/quote]

Never thought of it... Thanks for this really good advice.
I always wondered what this small pocket is good for.
NOW I know it: it's for my TT!

Cheers

Nikki
Wow, this thread is really old! :eek: Back in 2004, I might have had every pocket, and available space used for something. Then, a FANNY PACK full of stuff! Most of it got ho-hum reactions. Today is different.

Up here in Maine, magic is not very widely received. Where it IS, one has to be careful of YouTube, since everyone has a cell phone. So...I have learned the hard way. Google is NOT your friend most of the time.

So, I carry my Lubor's lens, and my Amazing Jumping Arrow hotrod in my wallet. That's it. I do have an Ike coin in my pocket, but that rarely comes out any more. I am careful now in approaching people. This town is very "unfriendly" when it comes to strangers making conversation. Ya learn to keep to yourself up here, unless ya want a confrontation! Ha! :goof:

The few times I DO find myself in the performing mode, I am carrying everything I need. I no longer do the stuff you see on YouTube or stuff the Masked ******-****** has exposed. It's time for a change... :)

Doug
I'm a relative newbie, but I always carry a few blank business cards, a pencil and of course a swami. That way I can do some mind reading at a momeents notice.

Although not strictly magic, I also do a memory feat (remember 30 odd objects or so) or get the person to select a date and tell them what day that date is. Always gets a reaction.
Kolintrol. Don't have to carry anything.
A Pen thru Anything
TT Somethimes
Loops on my Wrist
Pk Ring Anytime
Business Cards ;)
Deck of cards, can do 1,0000000000000's of tricks with them :)
Usually just a deck of cards and my wedding band. I can always use other props(I.e. a few napkins or coins or whatever)
I like to carry Greg Wilson's Pointless. I usually do a coin vanish with the pen as a wand and then go into the pointless routine. It's quick and ends clean.
2 rubber bands.
Banknotes, Pen, coins, Rubber bands, Infinity wallet with Predator effect always ready, loops. With banknotes I do impromptu version of pen through note, called as "Puncture" and also another strong impromptu effect with notes, is Time is Money by Asi Wind. Also I do the effect Recap, with pen. Coin for one coin routine and watch steal.
Some peoples list is really long, like they've got their pockets smashed full of stuff they'll never use, like they're expecting a payed gig to just break out or something. still other peoples list are long but pack small, like loops, rubber bands, coins, wallet, ect. stuff that seems totally normal, cuz lets be real, rubber bands make awesome bracelets, so it kind of all fits in.

I personally just carry my cards and my TT which is stuffed with a silk because that's the first trick I learned and although it's kind of corny and seems like a kids trick it just seems to blow adults away as well, plus I can always pull the silk out in my pocket and use the TT for something else
I ALWAYS carry:
3 rubber bands on my right arm
a half dollar (always practicing knuckle rolls) and a silver dollar in my watch pocket
I usually carry a business card wallet with 3 card monte/2 card monte/ color monte/ and a quarter bite
And after I get comfortable with my spider pen... I'll replace that with a pen I always carry (you never know when a girl might want to give you her number)
Oh, I almost forgot, I try to keep a loop on my wrist when I remember to tie them, they're not a problem to tie I just often don't think of it until I don't have time to tie them, then I forget again when I do lol, so like. maybe 1/3 of the time I have loops on me, I tie 5 at a time and keem em on a piece of cardboard in my back pocket, but I go through 5 in a couple days then it could be a week before I tie more
Message: Posted by: wafflesthemagician (Oct 26, 2012 03:16PM)
A Pen, a deck of cards, and whatever else is in my pockets (usually just wallet & cellphone).

Do a little routine with the pen and cellphone, using the pen as a magic wand, making my cellphone disappear, transpositions, etc. Then I ring in a cooler, which is a good start to go into card magic.
A pen for recap, and one to switch in for reality twister. Simples. But good!
I always carry with me a pen (for my pen routine, similar to recapped) and a half dollar. I usually have rubber bands on my wrist and sometimes a deck of cards in my pocket.
I only carry things that would be invisible to the spectator.

My current set includes loops, TT, and a PK ring (plus a small nd m****t).

With these tools plus other items found in the environment it is possible to do thousands of effects, seemingly impromptu.
Regular deck of cards, 2 half dollars and one copper english penny, a jumbo coin in the back pocket, a thumb tip (for cig vanishing)and a couple of rubber bands on my wirst and if needed I have a one hour + show
Loops on one wrist and a bunch of rubber bands on the other as a matter of course but usually end up with all manner of weird and wonderful 'additional' items upon my personage most of the time.
I always have some coins tt and a silk wih me.
todd
Balloons For Pressure... Floors everyone I've done it for. then if they want more cards or sponge balls. I end the Sponge balls with the two in the hand one in the pocket phase ending with "none" in my hand with a finger puppet nun
I tried to carrying at least a deck of cards with me all the time. For some reason I feel safe when I have cards with me. My precious..
Powerball 60 in my wallet.
Rubber bands for touch, cord for ring on string and bag for life
Bikes, split coin & sharpie
Message: Posted by: Roy the Illusionist (May 6, 2013 09:18PM)
I usually carry 3 sponge balls for my sponge routine, yes only 3, and a card deck with Further Than That(Mark Wilson) setup.
I have just for a casual situation- deck of cards, Fob, Anima, First Hand, Pro Fire Wallet, Card To Wallet, Rubberbands, Scotch and soda, and Humbug.
[quote]
On 2013-01-24 09:15, lambretta1963 wrote:
Bikes, split coin & sharpie
[/quote]

lambretta1963,
Would you mind sharing what you do with the split coin?
I carry with me all the Time:

3 Sponge Balls
Rubberbands
2 Coins
Fire Wallet (It's also my regular Wallet)
Business Cards
Deck of Cards for my Haunted Deck
Tiny Plunger
TT for Bill Switch
Sometimes 2 small Slydini Silks

That's it. fits perfectly in my Waste Pockets
[quote]
On 2006-01-13 15:12, sodman12 wrote:
Scotch and soda and a deck of cards. you can go wrong with this combination!
[/quote]

......Haha! I'm sure you can!
Deck of cards with a dupe and a Sharpie in my right pocket
Pack of smokes with a lighter ready to go for warning! and a certain other card revelation trick (trying to avoid exposure) in my left pocket
F1 nitro wallet (as my daily wallet) with Extreme Burn, Powerball, business cards, loops, Lubor lens, warning refills and some extra cards
Pro flite keychain with keymaster on it
It sounds like a lot but in the end its just a pack of cigarettes, a wallet, and a keychain. The only strange things are the cards and the sharpie.
Sponge balls and a thumb tip.
My Heirloom Wallet is my everyday wallet. In it I have Powerball 60, The Gift by Derrek Lau (which I love), one of the "outs" for Knock'em Dead, No Diary Diary and a few receipts for Burn Notice. What a mouth full. Aside from what I have in my wallet I also carry a deck, rubber bands, Linkey on my keychain (Awesome By The Way), my everyday ring and some velvet string. That's when I'm not carrying my messenger bag.
Nothing. If they want to see something spur of the moment then they can provide the materials.
I've since added Ian Garrison's Dances With Ropes for my daily carry.
-Tom
I keep two thin rubberbands on my wrist at all times adn I can perform CMH
Nothing!
Assertive Possitive Negative by Scott F Guinn.
Only need a b-card or small piece of paper and pen and your spectators imagination.
I always carry set of color changing knives and a stack of 4 thimbles.
A large paper clip in my Real Man's Wallet ,a hen & chicks, an elastic loop around my finger, sometimes, rubber bands around my wrist.
Message: Posted by: Nate The Magician (Dec 14, 2013 06:52PM)
Three sponge balls, a deck of cards, a magic wand, six half dollars, a sharpie, business cards and a hat.
I think the best way to be prepared is to have a few things in my wallet and on my keychain. In my wallet I usually have a few rubber bands, a gaffed bill, and one or more coins. On my keychain I have a piece of string that is tied in the "survival" string tie way. I also have a gaffed key ring sort of like a mini linking rings. There are a bunch of other things that can go in and out of the wallet or key chain.

To me, these are more "natural" ways to carry magic. By "natural", I mean that I don't have to be thinking "magic" when I get dressed. I would love to have a very "natural" way to carry a tt. I think that would be the perfect addition. Unfortunately, I don't have a tt that fits in my wallet or on my keychain. Maybe someone will come up with a collapsible tt.

KJ
You don't want to think 'magic' when you get dressed?
I'm not following.
The natural way to carry a TT is on your thumb! :P

I keep mine in the little pocket within my jeans pocket (match compartment?). It's perfect for quickly putting on as it keeps it facing the right way.
Amen, David.
[quote]
On 2013-12-26 21:12, magicfish wrote:
You don't want to think 'magic' when you get dressed?
I'm not following.
[/quote]
What I mean is if I am not planning on doing magic, I just want to put my wallet and my keys in my pocket and I'm out the door. I don't want to have to think about what magic effect I am going to put in my pocket. If I have a few things in my wallet or on my keychain, or have a few impromptu things I can do with regular items like borrowed coins or pieces of tissue, I'm always ready to go.

Lately, I am really into gift magic. if someone asks to see something, I really like to leave them with a gift. For that reason, I carry a few things in my wallet and something on my keychain that I can give away. On my keychain, I carry a woven piece of string with a couple hand-carved fish beads. I do some magic with it and give it away as a bracelet.

KJ
Gift magic is why I would really like to carry a tt. tts are great for gift magic. Maybe I should get in the habit of putting the tt on my thumb and then placing it in the change compartment of my pants pocket.

Thanks for that idea David.

KJ
I like carrying a TT, at least two rubber bands, a coin and the Hotrod stick as I am around children quite a bit and they love the color change.
I never leave my house without a stack of roughly 20 Business Cards, a Deck of Cards, with the JS Corner Shorted and the Joker with no writing with a Breather in It. I also carry my Butterfly Impression Device, and Stealth Assassin Wallet V1.1 I want to get more loops so I can always have them handy.

God Bless, Ed
I'm still new, only been studying magic for about 7 or 8 months, but I find that a simple retention vanish will blow most people away. Seriously, if you have a coin you're set.
I dropped my card carrying and decided to just carry around my Exact Change gimmick. What's great about it is the trick itself is amazing to perform, but you also have other coins with it that you can perform other tricks with on the spot and off the cuff.
My wallet, keys and phone are built in with tons of magic - I could entertain with just those for days!
If I have absolutely nothing on me (which is rare) I'll perform hypnosis or borrow objects
Loops are fantastic
Sometimes I carry a pk ring for coins through glass table and prohibition
If I'm at a party, I'll carry balloons
With a pen and paper I can perform a great deal of mentalism

- Yazz
If I am really naked I can fall back on their ring and do some ring moves ala ring leader etc. Other times a TT ALLOWS BILL SWITCH. IF I HAVE COINS OR SHANKEY'S HOLY MOLY I DO THAT WITH GOOD Reception
I always carry these because everyone seems to like money and it seems a bit more impromptu or as they tend to say these days "organic"
- Noblezada's Two Dollar Window
- Sometimes instead I'll do the Million Dollar Fantasy (great daydream patter) by Dick Barry
- Noblezada's 5 in 1 Transpo
- Thread Bill by Francis Menotti
- Cornered by Joshua Jay
- Mismade Bill (no TT version)
These 6 fit in my wallet and they take up no room since they all nest together if stacked/layered right
Just a deck of cards. I can normally just borrow coins too if I need to.
Rubber bands on my wrist for crazy mans handcuffs, (I have other bands on my worst so they don't look out of place) and I use other peoples coins for my limited range of coin magic. As well as the entirely impromptu cross-out from jay Sankey. I just whisper the prediction to people.

However if I think it would be likely I'd be asked to do a trick I would bring a deck of cards.
I always carry a couple "Stargazer" bands and 2 regular rubber bands on my wrist. In my wallet is a 5 and 1 transpo...and the "Lubor" lens. In my pocket is the "Pen" to do the Lubor lens effect, A "TT" with a $20 set up and Gregory Wilson's "Illegal Tender" resting along in the pocket.
A deck of cards, and soon Mesika's Wallet.
My esp%%nage wallet and l%ops , rest up for anything with that I thinks 👍
A loaded Assassins wallet = prepared
Lovely piece of kit!
This is typically what I carry on me from day to day:

A deck and a sharpie
Pro-flite as my key holder
a ring on my finger (to perform JM's Divorce)
Rubber bands 3-4 for CMH and ring on band (I think rubber bands are a standard)

Packs super light. Considering getting the creditcard loops holder.
My ring, wallet, some change and a deck of cards are about it. A sharpie when I remember.
Self typing shoelaces, gaff card with deck (not mentioning) and for the kids vase pedestal.
Bill Transpo (Cool Cash)

A few quarters, and the QB3.
I usually don't carry anything, but as soon as I get it down I'm going to start carrying business cards for PSILY by Steve Shufton. This is going to be a great trick to use for impromptu!
For Years I have gone nowhere without my TT and "mini-card to business card". I love it when I can do magic at a totally unexpected moment. Thanks for these ideas. I will look into more coin, bill and ring magic since I almost always have these on me too.
Richard
I always carry Ignition (Smith, dollar bill penetration) because it's easy to carry on your keychain (when protected appropriately). Also, I keep a few rubber bands in my wallet. The rubber bands are my go-to since I can perform a multi-phase routine with them and Ignition is a little quick.

If I'm going anywhere I expect to be asked to perform, I'll grab a deck and at least a mini Sharpie and perhaps whatever it is I'm currently trying to polish.
I carry a Kennedy Mind Power deck with 'Steam' attached to the box, a Ring Flight and five half dollars and a shell. Usually I've got a normal deck on me as well but that's about it
Normally a TT (for bill changes and sugar vanish), a regular sharpie, vintage 1800 deck (with some rubber bands round it). My everyday wallet is a Tony Miller peek wallet and in it I carry Dee Christopher's 'Old fashioned', a card/fire transposition of mine called 'Fizzle impossible' and the gimmick for an inverted bottle trick (whose name escapes me).
I'm fairly new to magic (about 7 months) and I've grown accustomed to carrying a regular deck with a few dupes, a sharpie, my ring and if I'm somewhere where I really want to blow minds, I'll make a burned paper prediction before I go (it's so simple and gets great reactions).
A deck of cards, business cards and some black arts envelopes.
I have a professional magician friend who keeps an IT on his shirt button every day. Yes, every day! He loves to levitate anytime, anywhere and is always a hit when he and I go to lunch or stop in for a drink in the local pub. The reason he does this every day is because so many people have seen him levitate a dollar bill so he is constantly being asked to perform it impromptu. He doesn't let anybody down.
Coins.

If I know/think I'm going to do magic, then the jumbo sits in the back pocket. I wear specific articles for magic - the jumbo kills.
Otherwise if caught out, I always have a coin purse of 5 half dollars - winged silver/four coins across. And then cop/sil, if my bag has my copper coin.

Actually, my bag even has sponge balls, TT, pack of cards etc. I don't perform them as often as the above tho. It's always awkward to reach into a handbag during a sponge ball routine imo. Spectators tend to assume more trickery than the real explanation of "I don't have pockets!"
Promystic to the rescue!
Finger ring, holy moly, leaving home, coins, deck of cards with a few dupes and a sharpie
My wedding ring and sponge balls.
I normally have bands with me for Crazy man handcuffs and other band stuff, some coins, and I have Fruad by Daniel Garcia in my wallet.
Stuff I always carry.. It'll seem like a lot, but yeah...
I have my means of carrying these things (no cargos or anything of the sort either) I use Joshua Jay's pro carrier.

Deck of cards with a red card for the chicago opener
5 to 6 Morgan Dollars
4 Walking Liberty Half Dollars
Card to Wallet(real man's wallet)
Leather String and a finger ring
Jumbo Morgan Dollar
Flash Pad (Flash paper)
Lighter
Just a Phoenix deck and a couple of coin uniques, endless possibilities!
One bicycle deck.(breathe in the joker)
Smile
Rubber bands round the deck of cards.
Blackpool effect Jay sankey.
Tiny plunger.
5 Half dollar(one flipper coin).
1 penny.
Scotch and soda.
Hopping half.
Micro psychic.
Torn2pieces ( 2 photos in the wallet).
My phone and a sharpie.

Only that. Enough for a couple of hours.
-Fire Wallet (I use it as my everyday wallet)
-Rubberbands (for CMH, Touch, and Pi:Ring on band)
-Finger ring (for Ring Thing and Pi)
I usually just carry a deck of cards, a sharpie and paper, and some coins. Sometimes it varies but overall, those are my go to items. There's just so many different possibilities with really simple stuff.
My wedding ring....
Ring Thing
French Drop...
Divorce by Justin Miller.
Loops, and Extreme Burn 2.0. Extreme Burn is just so powerful, even if you're only doing $1 to $20...who has the money to carry around $100s? :p
Four half dollars and one English penny in a small leather pouch, and one ring.
[quote]On Aug 9, 2015, Bin wrote:
Four half dollars and one English penny in a small leather pouch, and one ring. [/quote]

This is what I carry as well. So so many possible routines.
A deck of cards, a "special" dollar bill and To Do Voodoo
Two to six Decks of cards, a sharpy, paper and coins.
I carry a Z-fold wallet with the aces for Twisting the Aces in an envelope so as to be able to the the Darwin Ortiz finish with the ace of spades. I can also use the aces for Dr. Daley's Last Trick. The wallet also contains the cards for Brother John Hamman's Pinochle. In addition I also have the cards for Swain's Psychic Poker. Also in the wallet are five business cards with consecutively numbered business cards (mine).

Of course I don't perform all of these in the same performance.
I usually carry an invisible deck with me, and I keep a pack of regular cards in my backpack. I also like to carry around a notecard that I've prepared for a little prediction trick I like where my incorrect prediction is fixed when I hold a lighter up to the notecard. This is all I ever need for a quick "Show me something cool" moment.

Oh, and now that I think about it, I occasionally carry a gimmicked dollar bill in my wallet, but I've been doing that less since I nearly accidentally spent one
[quote]On Aug 29, 2015, Sentoki wrote:
Two to six Decks of cards, a sharpy, paper and coins. [/quote]

Egad! SIX decks!!! Varum ist das?

Dick
Six decks of cards?
[quote]On Sep 6, 2015, bigfoot wrote:
Six decks of cards? [/quote]

I was wondering the same thing...
Two standard Bikes, one Brainwave, one Blankdeck and two Decks of cards to do the Kissingen card trick, where I use one duplicate card. But it's very rare I carry six decks.
Well Sentoki! No one can ever say that you're not "playing with a full deck"!!!
The seer gimmick is awesome for this. Always in my pocket and ready to perform with anybody's cards. Very cool.
As a 'non-performing hobbyist' who is fascinated by EDC (everyday carry), my magic-related EDC follows a few basic principles...
1. Impromptu is best, but some basic tools can still help this- pen, paper, coins, etc.
2. If I pull it out of my pocket to do a trick with, there has to be a reason I was carrying it. There is absolutely no reason I would usually carry sponge balls or cards.
3. A couple simple, easy to carry and hide gaffs or gimmicks are OK, and I will usually cycle through a few so I something fresh for my small audiences. I like to throw in a few tricks that use gaffs to make my truly impromptu stuff look even cooler.

IN MY WALLET- normal bills, small pen in the crease, folded scratch paper held with paperclips, a few business cards wrapped with rubber bands (and one of the few gaffs I routinely carry- a rig to do a home-made version of the 'rabbit out of the hat packet trick'), a couple bandaids, some duct tape, and a couple safety pins.

POCKETS- assorted coins including a half dollar or two (I avoid fancy coins for this), a 'lucky coin' (Chinese, English Penny, or Centavo depending on the day. I avoid coin gaffs and fakes because I keep loosing or damaging them.) Bandana or hanky, multitool. Many days I will also carry a thumbtip and maybe a bill gaff.

KEYCHAIN- a spare key for things like bending or some key-based tricks, a keyring pocketknife, small flashlight. Everything is easy to take off the ring. Sometimes I carry a mini Sharpie modified for keychain carry.

GEAR BAG- I carry additional gear about 78% of the time. In my gear bag is a deck of cards with duplicates, sponge balls or multiplying rabbits, and whatever gaffs or tricks I tossed in this week.

I work in a rehab facility, so we have a lot of junk in most of the desks. I LOVE to find a deck of worn cards in someone's station and do a couple quickie tricks, or juggle some of the balls, and the old, dumb tricks in the dining room.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I was thinking that discussing the rationale behind my carry might help some readers.
I'll try to be thorough, hope it's not to long-winded. Casual prop management is something I put way too much thought into :)
I usually carry:

POCKETS:
Either a deck of regular playing cards, or a deck containing a couple dupes (French kiss, etc.) and 3 odd backs (Blindsided, DGarcia stuff, etc.), along with a single card setup for TNR and a single prepared torn corner transpo card (dupes and gimmicks below a doubled flap in the box)
Four quarters, a penny, a single s***m quarter s***l, and a magnet that can be discreetly palmed and/or attached to the chain wristband I wear, occasionally the Little Hand
A sharpie
Balloons (Pressure, bill/card in balloon), Rubber Bands (CM's Handcuffs, Pixel as an ending to Ambitious Card, etc.)
Occasionally a prepared gum packet for Ultra Gum
A shoelace, if there's room (Borrowed finger ring on string)
A cheap r**l on my belt loop for quick into-the-shirt vanishes
And VERY occasionally a small length of IT wrapped around a card ("impromptu" levitations/animations)
WALLET:
Bills and Cards, the usual
One or two bills set up for TNR (I also usually have a serial number stack on top of my deck)
Torn 2 pieces by Shawn Farquhar (picture of myself)
Small sections of Apple brand earbud cables (Guess what this is for- incredible effect when borrowed)
D***** B***** card for Card to wallet

PHONE:
Icard by Daniel Garcia and corresponding card folded in pocket
If someone asks show me a trick, I always perform extrem burn by Richard Sanders, ambitious card routine with card to wallet ending, ultra visual nightshades by Paul Harris, bag4Life by Mark Bendell
- I always carry a coin purse with six half dollars in it for Pop Hadyn's Winged Silver.
- Will use Greg Wilson's Bandwidth every day for the rest of my life so I wear my thumb ring.
- I use my LePaul wallet as my real wallet so I can do card do wallet.
- My deck of Tycoon playing cards by Theory 11 with a duplicate 10 clubs, breather 5 diamonds, and extra blue backed Jack of Diamonds.
- I also always have Michael Ammar's The Little Hand because it will always guarantee a shock and a laugh.
- Wear two contrast color rubber bands on my wrist for a couple of rubber band tricks.
I carry..rubber bands, pot hole, twisted sisters, and TT._
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Feb 7, 2016 12:44AM)
Four silver half plus [, Scotch and soda, copper silver, thumb tip, four different coins in a pouch that I like to play with
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Feb 7, 2016 12:44AM)
And a bang ring
I always keep a bill in my hat and perform my hatline prediction routine. :)
Torn and restored dental floss
Wonderland dollar
Miss-made dollar
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Aug 4, 2016 02:16AM)
Coins across
If I have absolutely nothing on me, I could do some finger magic - The Pinky Thing by Nick Locapo and Breathrough by Johannes Mengel

If the other person has a credit card on them, I have a pin divination.

If the other person has a phone, I perform a calculator trick

The best way to be convincing with the 'show me a trick' moment is to tease out the magic moment, rather than just a quick 2 second trick because they won't find that very interesting
Seriously...am I the only person, that just immediately rips off his Velcro pants and starts dancing?
We're performers folks! No inhibitions :)

That is all, you can now return to your regularly scheduled programing.

252DanceDanceDance
So I just read through this 13 year thread and even though its died down a little, I figured I'd keep it going for 2017. I used to work table hopping at bars and comedy clubs but my day job has made me become more of a hobbyist as of late. I do still love to have everyday carry items for the one off seemingly impromptu miracle however, I rarely have a reason to carry cards on me anymore. I still use the Stealth Assassin v1.1 as my everyday wallet.

in Stealth Assassin
Pocket Space Plus
Carnazzo's Dreamweaver
Powerball 60
Phil Goldstein's Racer's Edge (used to carry Kioku which is very similar but I've really enjoyed this one lately. It seems more like something you'd pick up at a dog track and still have in your wallet)
Torn 2 Pieces - Picture of me and my girl and one of my dogs
Daniel Garcia's Greed
Rick Lax's To Do Voodoo
John Cesta's Ultimate Positive Negative (I show the prediction then perform Maoeda by E.E. before leading into this)
I also use Cesta's same set up for a Free Will prediction
Lots of business cards for use with SUC on my SAW
I also keep 2 semi-original heavily inspired effects in my wallet - 1st is a 400 word vocabulary test with zero fishing or info needed and another is an ESP testing card I created with a 3 phase routine based on other effects

In my pockets I carry
Joshua Jay's Inferno
Garcia's paddle move Chapstick from his Penguin Lecture
book of matches for Bro Gilbert's Water Trap
Bent Penny and pocket change
and sometimes Einhorn's Nest of Wallets

In my phone case I carry
A prepared business card for Wayne Houchin's T&R
and a bill for Joshua Jay's Cornered
Greg Rostami's iForce gets a lot of use too

Wow typing it out it seems like a lot but it's just always there and ready I don't even notice it
I love your list! Thanks....now I need to check out that Kioku replacement, sounds great.
Thanks for sharing.
[quote]On Jan 16, 2017, 252life wrote:
I love your list! Thanks....now I need to check out that Kioku replacement, sounds great.
Thanks for sharing. [/quote]

Thanks! I believe Racer's Edge is in his Purple book of mentalism from the Prism series. I go to the Daytona dog track a lot so I used their logo's and images to create "daily winner cards" They really look like something the track may provide to help bettors research past winners during the week before you place your bets. I use iForce for an initial prediction for the # of races won before hitting them with the mind reading of their thought of dog.
You should check it out, its fun to do!
Have you checked out Myke Phillips I Unlock Your Mind app?
I historically hate any kind of phone mentalism...but.
That one is different imo.

I think you'd also like Bobby Mottas Blackmail.
Packs small, etc etc.
Also been doing KK, and B'wave a bunch lately.
My main go to though is, and I suspect may always be, a handful of index cards for a CT.

But if you want to go really stream lined; Atlas Brookings has amazing material out.
Most of his stuff requires "work be done", but you walk away with stuff you can literally do naked.
And, that's how I usually perform, so perfect!

Ok, coffee is calling me :)

252Jolt
Thanks man! I may try to find room to squeeze in Blackmail. It's a great little utility. I haven't looked into Atlas Brookings much but I will now!!
Most days I carry a normal deck of cards with Monkey in the Middle and 2 duplicate cards in it. Also, a sharpie.

If I feel that I'm going to be performing, I clip on Joshua Jay's Pro Carrier Deluxe. In there, is the following

My business card with To-do voodoo on the back of it
Normal deck of cards with duplicates and monkey in the middle
Omni deck
D/b for card to wallet (but to my pro carrier)
Color monte
B'wave
Triad Coins by Joshua Jay
JJ's Coin Coalition
5 and 1 transpo
2 red, 2 purple, 2 green rubber bands. (Rainbow Rubber Bands by Joe Rindfleisch)
I don't have to put anything in my pockets except my keys and wallet. In my wallet, I have a few rubber bands, a monopoly bill to change a borrowed bill into a "hundred", a couple copper/silver coins, four regular quarters and a shell.

On my cell phone I have a couple mentalism items.

In my car I have a small belt case that holds a couple decks of cards, a few gimmicked cards, a Sanada gimmick, and a couple sponges.

kj
Currently I have a little card tin with the following inside:

Deck of cards (including 1 sp*tt*d); gaffed box
Some bits of paper with reveals, predictions and cribs for card tricks and Kolintrol
Bingo Card number prediction
B'wave

There's room for a little more in there, so I'll be adding to it whenever.

If I was going somewhere knowing I was going to do magic, I'd stick in my pocket a couple of spongeballs and maybe a paddle prop.
What I carry with me varied somewhat and depends on the circumstances, but the things I NEVER leave home without are:

1) Infinity Wallet loaded with full Kolossal Killer set-up
2) St**ked Deck
3) Normal Deck
4) Stack of billets and a pen
5) ESPerfect packet trick

Not to mention the selection of pr******ive a*a**ams and eq****que routines that reside inside my mind :)
I always have a deck of playing or poker-sized tarot cards and a pen or marker- ready for impromptu demos and readings. If I have the pocket space, a pendulum, too.

~Dave
What I *always* carry on me :

Hwallet loaded with Extreme Burn, cards for SansMinds Prospect and some billets (for mentalism routines) both of these are in the himber compartment of the Hwallet, and finally Out to Lunch.
Pack of cards (loaded with ZENith)
Quantum Bender
Magma (the impression device) along with the gimmicked sharpie
Coins (half dollar, english penny, N3 and N4 coin sets) along with my himber coin purse
My finger ring
RFR

And in the near future :

Geneva Prediction Watch (when I have it back)
L**ps
Deck of cards with envylope
Smoke by alan rorrison
Coin unique
I have really enjoyed reading through this post, I always carry my wallet with me, inside I keep a memory wire (8 of diamonds) rolled up, and one blank card with the words 'True loves card is the 5 of spades' for use with my own effect, 'True loves test' which was published in an issue Vanish magazine. I also have a few apps on my phone and a little bit of propless mentalism stored in my head.
I always stick in my shirt pocket a couple cards for Card Warp, and a comedy single-card with the entire deck on the back. Three cards - light and easy. Always plays well, and they get to keep the card warp and a business card.
I'm beginning to work on "Cool Cash" for those moments... I usually do a bill switch with a borrowed bill and Eddie Fechter's quarter routine. At the 2016 Atlanta Harvest of Magic one of the lecturers was talking about how he can do 30 minutes with stuff he carries in his wallet. Kind of like that idea...

Gary
After reading all of these I feel back for police, EMS, and the fire department. because when A magician dies and they have to check the belongings it gets weird can you imagine the inventory report. I work security at a hospital and some of the bodys that come in we find some weird stuff on them thankfully no magician or clowns yet.

I stopped doing magic for a while but I'm kind of getting back into it and some items that I would like to always carry with me would be.
Sticky situation
Ring escape
Ignition
More to come trying to find my new style
[quote]On May 14, 2017, impulse wrote:

I stopped doing magic for a while but I'm kind of getting back into it and some items that I would like to always carry with me would be.
Sticky situation
Ring escape
Ignition
More to come trying to find my new style [/quote]

Style... excellent point Impulse! Whatever effects you carry should go with your style of performing. I've seen a lot of effects that have entertained or fooled me, but don't go with my performing style or personality.

Gary
It took a while to get through all 13 years of this thread but I was amused to see what has changed and what has not changed over the years.

I have carried the same thing for 30 years - a small leather coin purse with a hopping half, a Scotch & Soda, and a couple of other coin effects. There have been many times that I have carried more but those coins are always with me.
I never leave the house without...

Scotty York color changing knives
Scotch and Soda
Mental photography deck
Rubber bands for Crazy mans handcuffs.

Now I love hanging out at Barne and Noble, ours has a Starbucks and I hang out at a local slot car track, when I go there I usually take a few others.

I have put together a deck of gimmicks I take if I am going to be sitting with coffee, that include card through bill, card through card, holed up (chris Mayhew), there is enough regular cards left to do a bit of an AMBITIOUS CARD routine and card on ceiling. If I am gonna be sitting I will have the cards just laying there and just casually perform some or all. It is simply amazing how "NONCHALANT" doing a melt routine with a borrowed bill when you just reach over and grab the top card of a face up deck that was sitting there when someone came to your table! lol
Always: Richard Sanders "Extreme Burn 2.0" (no relation) for impressive flip back to original. NLHWI! Wedding Ring for Ring thing. Poker chip or half for Bobo routine.
Sometimes: Aronson ordered deck. Garrett Thomas "Stand up Monte". Or John Bannon's "Bullet Party"
Big pockets days: "Jamie Schoolcraft CM3 Silver Dollars. Th*mb t*p. Nested Wallets. Deck Shell with extra deck.
I love this there are so many tricks that I have never heard of or seen. you get an ideal of the magicians personality by looking up what they carry.
I forgot to add that beside the coin purse and coin effects inside, that I carry some paper money effect in my wallet - Mis-made dollar, two ones to a two, etc. My thoughts are that everyone carries money so I am not advertising that I am carrying something out of the ordinary. It appears to be more impromptu and works for me.
That's ture for paper money and coin. it's normal compared to pulling cards out of a pocket.
I always have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwIL23_gsp0 :)
Kenton's KK/Heirloom is always set up in my Heirloom wallet and that is always in my jacket pocket. Although I have to say it's my own take on it. I blended things I liked about both and jettisoned things I didn't.
Cleaning out my dad's house, I found an old fashioned iron key. I had heard about Haunted Key and had an idea of how it worked, so I thought I'd experiment. It works as well as anything I could have purchased and looks great for being an antique. With a bit of a ghost story to set it up, I get an eerie silence from spectators. Now it's in my pocket all the time.
Message: Posted by: Some_Magical_Idiot (Jul 2, 2017 08:21PM)
Rubber bands, $2USD bills, business cards, an odd puzzle in my wallet I cut out of "Game" magazine years ago. I am a fan of using every day things as well such as what you find on a table in a restaurant or such.
Alway a TT ready for a billswitch..quick and always gets a great reaction..
Impromptu/'show me a trick' moment...

If I have nothing on me & have to use what's in the environment I'd use
> Paper tissues (eg from the wash room) rolled up into balls for an impromptu 'sponge ball' type routine
(see Greg Wilson's 'On the Spot' dvd if you wish to see a quality routine & performance
> Also from that dvd, I utilise 'Questionable Trick' (ungimmicked coin routine). Another good idea from that dvd is doing a new, modernised version of the old cigarette ash routine on a spectator's hand but with a lipstick! I've never done the routine simply because I always seem to forget to do so when I'm in an impromptu situation. Often kick myself afterwards that I still haven't given the routine a try-out.
> I'd utilise the 'Free Will' principle with the following 3 objects which you or a spectator probably will always have i) a pen ii) a coin iii) a business card or a playing card or a rolled up ball of paper
> If you're into mentalism then a CT or a fuller routine like Asidus Plus (well taught on an Osterlind dvd)

If you allow a few things that you might have in your pockets or in your wallet I'd add:
> A bill switch without a TT that you can keep permanently in your wallet for these moments
> As someone else mentioned, you can keep Powerball 60 in your wallet (I did for years, but actually never really felt an affinity for this trick and I've dropped it from my repertoire nowadays
> You could keep a couple of 'Out to Lunch' principle tricks in your pockets ready for these impromptu situations; for example a card prediction using OTL. You can also do a Magic Square using the OTL so that you have a pre-prepared crib of the numbers (Or have a secret one concealed with a DL)
> Playing cards:
i) transposition of indifferent card into the selecton in the spectators hands
ii) ACR with the pop up move as the climax (impromptu!)
iii) Jay Sankey & Richard Sanders have numerous impromptu card tricks...

Hope all the above help!
I used to think that when I am going out socially I shoudnt carry anything with me. Until I started to make name for myself and started to be known at my area. So I am constantly meeting potential clients that would be easier to become clients if I could do something really impressive for them. So I started to plan ahead.

Since I always have my wallet and keys with me where ever I go I started to add tricks into them. However I decided that items cant take any real space or look like they didn't belong into my keys or wallet. So no clear magic tricks or packet effects.

In my keys I have Nick Einhorn Ring flight and Greg Wilson Freakey. I used to have ring flight reel inside key but it broke.

In my wallet I have Extreme Burn set and Changeling set giving me also 65€ of cash in case my debit card doesn't connect. Also there is David Ben credit card extension gimmick on one of my "bonus" cards. Few folded friction pen revelations in papers, business cards for variety of effects and since I had extra pocket in my wallet that I didn't use for anything I ordered extra expanded shell just for my wallet. And in that same pocket I keep double sided coin and bend coin now and then.

I can do pretty strong material out of my wallet and everything seems like it wasnt planned at all but it belongs to wallet anyway. 3 coins don't really take any extra space.

Juha-Matti
When your asked OVER and OVER and OVER "DO A TRICK"- I always ask them for a coin - then do a couple slightes - next, put their coin in YOUR pocket- if they ask for their coin - just mention "I do magic to support my family, thank you" or "I don't always do magic for FREE"-- no more pests. Ralph(russo)Rousseau
@Russo - That's awesome. I like it.

On an early episode of the Beverly Hillbillies Jethro once met a magician that kept taking silver dollars from him and "vanishing" them! Priceless.

Oscar
Inject 2.0 so can ask spectator to use their phone to do some magic.
I just do in the last weeks the houdini eyes effect from inject 2. and the google peek. it kills!
Extreme burn and my fire wallet are always in my pocket. (Unless I am going through a TSA checkpoint; then the fire wallet is left behind!)
Two that I have just recently started carrying at all times
1) Volition by Joel Dickson
2) Ultimate Positive Negative by John Cesta.
This thread is too good to let fade away! Personally, I always have a blue bike D****e B**k in my wallet and a couple of gimmicked New Zealand coins - people here in NZ can be cynics- if I bring out an Ike dollar or JFK half dollar they often get suspicious in an impromptu setting. In a show, it's a different story, where a TUC is my friend! I sometimes have a TT in my corner pants pocket for a bill exchange and I almost ALWAYS wear a PK r*** and since most of our coinage is ferrous, there are lots of impromptu options. Cheers all!
I found a prepared Wonderland dollar last night and stuck it in my wallet. Went to the bank today to get some coins and mentioned to the teller I'm a magician. She asked to see something and I got to show her the trick. It went over great in a bank! I forgot how much fun this one can be. It's a keeper.
Still loving spot paddles and crazy compass. Easy, visual, wallet sized :)
Currently working on building my grab and go set, seeing what works and what doesn't. Right now, I carry a deck of cards of course, either bridge-sized blue bikes or ghosts, whatever I'm feeling. A few rubber bands around the deck case for the Houdini card trick. TT loaded with a blue diamond-cut silk and a bill switch. Just ordered a half dollar [ for a coins across or 3 fly routine, that will join 3 other half dollars.
An Okito box, Speedloader Plus wallet and I borrow a 50p and a 2p to do a Copper Silver Transpo
I am currently carrying...

1) CMH

2) STAND UP MONTE

3) POWERBALL 60

4) RING FLIGHT REVOLUTION W LARGE JOL PLUS

In the car I have FIBER OPTICS

Makes for a nice little busk if the opportunity presents itself.
I use an Infinity Wallet as my everyday wallet and usually carry a Get Sharky deck as well as a regular deck.
I usually would do impromptu tricks like a Coin Body Loading routine, Watch Steal or the Social Prediction.
A copper coin and a silver coin, for a simple transposition.
I use my keys like a ring through finger.