(Close Window)
Topic: Missing hit songs
There have been hit songs about pretty much everything humans do in the world. Hundreds of love songs, there are songs about hate and war. There are songs about playing, songs about using drugs, songs about singing songs. There are songs about breathing, songs about dying, songs about an illness. There have been hit songs made from TV themes and even a soda commercial. etc.

So what is missing?

Can you name a topic for a song for which there has never been a hit?

Here is my thought... Has there ever been a hit song about someone who fails at everything they do, getting a big chance, and failing yet again?
[quote]On Feb 17, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:
...Here is my thought... Has there ever been a hit song about someone who fails at everything they do, getting a big chance, and failing yet again? [/quote]

Only every country music song ever made... ;)
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's aver been a song about nose-picking.
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by2wsBz5yVc
[quote]On Feb 17, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's aver been a song about nose-picking. [/quote]

As Jack has already shown, those songs are out there!

I recall a musician from the folk era, David Blue (Dylan wrote about him) who had a song "I like to sleep late in the mornin'". I heard him add a verse not on his record, "I pick my nose and I got bad breath// bite my nails til there's nothin' left// like to drink a quart of bourbon a day// don't give a *** for what you say... and I like to sleep late in the mornin'...." Lynn
[quote]On Feb 17, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
[quote]On Feb 17, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:
...Here is my thought... Has there ever been a hit song about someone who fails at everything they do, getting a big chance, and failing yet again? [/quote]

Only every country music song ever made... ;) [/quote]

I was going to suggest "Second Wind," by Billy Joel.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's aver been a song about nose-picking. [/quote]

Not specifically the picking, but Weird Al Yankovich does have one called "Gotta Boogie" (On My Finger And I Cant Get It Off!)
The boy stood on the burning deck, picking his nose like mad, he rolled it up in little balls and threw it at his dad.

It was a hit before your mother was born a long long time ago.
Now, I did say "HIT" songs. Meaning I was suggesting regular radio airplay type of music. Yes, there is a huge library of lesser-known musicians who released albums that covered topics that went from strange to severely obscene. This is not what I was talking about. These songs were never hits, and would never be played on the radio. I suppose Dr. Demento introduced people to some of the strange ones, but he was limited by the FCC. I remember when Gilda Radner passed away, the good doctor was deluged with requests to play one of her songs. He played it, but it had to be badly "bleeped" out.

How many thousands of "love songs" are there? Not as many break-up songs have been hits.
The band Styx managed to make a hit out of alien abduction of all things.
A big folk hit was about a man named Charlie who couldn't afford to get off the subway in Boston. The song was actually a campaign song for a guy running for mayor.

Not to be too gross, but there are no hit songs I know about going to the bathroom. (A pharmaceutical company could sponsor such a song and use it in a commercial)
How about a song about buying shoes? So mundane and we all do it, but no song.
Is there a song about someone wanting to travel the world and see all the sights? (That one sounds like there might be one, but I can't think of it.)
A hit used to be one in the top 20 selling records of the week and so normally it has to appeal a broad audience, which is why its called pop music on the notion of it being popular. It is no surprise that some topics are more popular than others and get in the hit parade and some are not and never do and are miss.
It is sad that there are whole generations who don't know about Michael and his nickel...
I loved Michael and his nickel.
Seems like that nickle was shine and new, too.