(Close Window)
Topic: Why is it called "Professor's nightmare"?
I've learned this trick in a book and I've seen many posts about this routine on this forum but can anyone tell me why it's called "Professor's nightmare"? I know it refers to the original patter but I wish I knew it if only for my personal magic education.

Richard
I may be all wet on this...but...I believe that the original patter involved a professor that set about to disprove the following theory (or this was at least my remembrance of it):

"Things equal to the same thing, or to equal things, are equal to each other. Unlikes are unlike and remain unlike."

I also believe I am correct in saying that Gene Gordon created this effect and original patter. He owned a magic shop in Buffalo, New York, and is noted for founding the IBM.

Nicholas
Patter is Gene Gordon's. In the US, the effect is generally credited to Bob Carver.

0pus
Way back when I first learned it, it was just called my favorite rope trick.
The way I understand it, a professor was in class, and a kid use this trick as a math principal. The professor had a hard time figuring this out.
Drkptrs1975,

I heard that same story.

I tend to believe it as I did PN in front of a group of doctors, lawyers and college professors and 'FRIED' them!

Charlie