(Close Window)
Topic: Wizzo the Magician
Message: Posted by: Magic from A to Z (Feb 19, 2019 11:27AM)
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but did someone read or see an article of the passing of Wizzo the Magician?

Is there an article posted?

Please let me know,,,,

Thanks,

~allen
Do you mean MARSHALL BRODIEN?

He worked as Whizzo, on WGN-TV'BOZO SHOW for years.

Marshhall probably sold more Svengali Decks (TV Magic Cards) than anyone in history.
Message: Posted by: Magic from A to Z (Feb 19, 2019 12:47PM)
Yes... Did he?

~allen
Marshall Brodien has not passed. He is in a memory care unit - while has Alzheimer’s, his physical health is currently ok. Thanks.
Message: Posted by: Magic from A to Z (Feb 19, 2019 02:04PM)
Thank you....

Sorry to hear... He is truly a GREAT mentor...

~allen
Thanks Mark. I hadn't heard his name mentioned recently. I knew about the Alzheimer's.

I remember fondly, his back yard pool parties, years ago.
Hi Dick. Good to see you here. Will you be in Colon in August? Regarding Marshall, I suspect that all of the Chicago crew have fond memories. Marshall is one of the most genuine and generous people in magic. Alzheimers is a cruel disease that steals our loved ones a little bit at a time. Keep him (and Mary) in your prayers.
Hi Mark! Doubt that I'll make it to Colon. I'm in VA Hospital, getting daily radiation treatments for cancer. I'm very familiar with Alzheimer's. I had to quit a tour of fairs, to go home to care for my mother, in '85. Yup, Prayers help!
Just sent a truckload of prayers, upstairs, for Mr. 'B' & Mr. 'O'.

Men, hang-in there.

(& still praying!)
Sixten & Family
Hello Sixten!

Marshall and I, both thank you!!!

I also have a bit of good news: On November 15, a Foley was inserted. Last night the VA doctor, had it removed, and "everything" is FUNCTIONING!

O
GREAT!!! :applause:

Don't you just love it when a plan FINALLY comes together?

p.s. Still praying!
Dick --

Congratulations on getting the Foley out. This is really great. It will allow you to get "out and about" much more frequently, right?

Jim
Good to hear that that thing was able to be removed. Those things are not fun.
Still sending prayers and we'll wishes.
Thanks youse guys for the prayers and good wishes!
I just found this thread and wanted to wish the best to news and good things are happening. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well. You have also been such a great contributor here as I always seek out your posts and love your willingness to share your experience and insight. My very best to you!
Thanks 2,000,000! Mindpro!
Did I see this too soon?

https://wgntv.com/2019/03/08/marshall-brodien-who-played-wizzo-the-wizard-on-the-bozo-show-has-died/

What a GREAT gentleman. Prayers to his family and loved ones. He will truly be missed.

~allen
Https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=689276&forum=36
Dick, so glad to hear things are on the upswing.
Good morning, Mr. Oslund!

Hoping you are improving!

Very best regards,
Sixten :)
p.s. Another truckload is on its way ^
I've had 3 friends (and idols) in the Art of Magic who have recently passed away, and frankly, it breaks my heart, and deeply saddens and troubles me.

Those friends are Johnny Thompson, Marshall Brodien, and Denny Haney.

Johnny Thompson and Marshall Brodien were two of the GREAT Chicago-Based Magicians and, arguably, living legends in terms of 20th Century Magicians who have "Made Their Mark".

Both pretty much paved the way for many of us as they pretty much opened up the field of Trade Show Magic at Chicago's McCormick Pavilion.......Johnny, early-on, made a name for himself as a General Practitioner (GP) of Magic, and was a student of the Art of Magic (particularly sleight-of-hand) and was known also, early in his entertainment career for his Musical Prowess in the Harmonica Act, The Harmonicats. His unique personality, being both humble and a warm-caring human being was a huge part of who Johnny was and how he lived his life, and he was and is LOVED by so many of us who knew him. Rest in Peace, My Friend, you were truly a special human being. And to Pam (The "Co." in Tomsoni and Company....: my heart goes out to you......

Marshall Brodien was one of the reasons I always looked forward to going to Abbott's every year for decade after decade....one of the highlights of my life as a Magician all these years.........was FOOLING THE HELL OUT OF MARSHALL BRODIEN with a new (or old) trick, and then having Marshall say to me...."How in The Hell did you do that?"....to which I always replied...."Marshall....you flatter me.........tell ya what....I'll tell you next year." When "Next Year" came around, the thing all over again!!! The thing about Marshall that astounded me the most was his 26-year run as Wizzo On The Bozo The Clown Show on WGN-TV.......Having spent a good part of my professional life as a TV Executive in Missouri and Wisconsin, I know one thing: NOBODY has a 26-year-old run on TV........that is, unless his name is, yup, you guessed it: Marshall Brodien!

I met Marshall right after I moved to Wisconsin at a Houdini Club Convention in 1985....we hit it off....and had been friends ever since...Marshall did WELL for himself, and led a lovely life with his beloved wife, Mary, and to her I say...."You know that I love Marshall and will always miss him."

Denny Haney was one-of-a-kind. He was a performer's performer, and was a living breathing encyclopedia of all things Magic. If you never have met Denny..........you missed another living legend, because the man KNEW HOW TO ENTERTAIN PEOPLE AS A MAGICIAN. Even more importantly, he's left a legacy of Magicians whom he has inspired and nurtured and guided.....Denny Haney was the guy who made Jeff Hobson decide that "the tired, ancient trick using an egg and a bag" was truly A MIRACLE!...and inspired Jeff to make it a feature in his act (and thus make JEFF HOBSON a FEATURE ACT!)

Puck, Scott Alexander and Denny were pretty much joined-at-the-hip, and it was always a pleasure to see the "tree of 'em" hangin' out doing their thing together, whether that was in Denny's shop in Baltimore, or out together performing on the road. It was DENNY'S nurturing, wisdom, and encouragement who helped Puck and Scott progress in their professional careers. When Denny tired of decades of performing 200 plus shows a year, he, quite literally, put everything he had into his magic shop, Denny & Lee Magic Studio in Baltimore, which, I believe was, in all due repect to my many Magic Dealer friends, THE FINEST BRICK AND MORTAR MAGIC SHOP IN THE U.S. Denny had earned a well-deserved reputation for being an honest, straight-shooting guy and Magic Dealer....and that's who he was.

Importantly, the last time I saw Denny perform was at Abbott's a few years ago, and when I watched him "work", tears literally came to my eyes because his sleight of hand act was "Perfect". I told him after the show about my crying because I knew that some little boy or girl sitting in the audience was whispering to their Mom or Dad.."That's what I want to do when I grow up!"

And to me, at least, that's what this performance art of Magic that we have all chosen, is all about......leaving a legacy.......

These men were close to me, it is personal to me that they have passed, and I will dearly miss them!
I just found this thread, and want to wish health and a great recovery to Dick!

Dick is one of the most generous, thoughtful people on this Café! He's always been good to me when I was in need.
Heqq Doug, Now I gotta go out and buy a new BIGGER HAT!

BTW, I'mm home from the hospital as of yesterday. I just hope the 29 radiation treatments, 'DID IT"!
Oh wow!

Wonderful news!

Glad to have you back with us, and I sure pray for your health to be gooder than ever before!!
[quote]On Apr 25, 2019, daffydoug wrote:
Glad to have you back with us, and I sure pray for your health to be gooder than ever before!! [/quote]

I'll second that :)

Doug
:)
[quote]On Apr 24, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Heqq Doug, Now I gotta go out and buy a new BIGGER HAT!

BTW, I'mm home from the hospital as of yesterday. I just hope the 29 radiation treatments, 'DID IT"! [/quote]
Welcome home!
[quote]On Apr 27, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
BTW, I'mm home from the hospital as of yesterday. I just hope the 29 radiation treatments, 'DID IT"! [/quote]
[/quote]

29?!?!? Now, you're making making me feel like a big baby over the six to ten that I have coming up! Jeez, I hope my wife doesn't find out. I'm kind of enjoying the pity and special treatment.....