(Close Window)
Topic: Is magic psychotic?
Well, magic, it does seem to cause people to perceive or interpret things differently from what is normal.
Magic is [i] not [/i] psychotic. Psychosis is a mental disorder characterized by a disconnection from reality. Magic is definitely not a mental disorder.
If magic happens in the mind and magic does not exist in reality then why is magic definitely not a mental disorder characterized by a disconnection from reality?
Because we don't perceive reality, we perceive avatars -- simplified representations of reality. That's why magic works in the first place. If we perceived reality, no magic trick would ever work.
We normally do not have difficulties determining what is real and what is not but we are not normally seeing a performance of magic.

The dilemma is definitely not a normal state of mind.
I don't want to get too esoteric, but we have no idea what is real. We spend our entire lives in the locked room of our skull, which essentially has a TV screen and a speaker to give us information about the outside world. We don't "see" anything. What we think of as sight is a representation -- an avatar -- that our brain creates to give us information that we need to survive in the world. And we do not need to perceive the reality of something, we only need senses that "fit" (evolutionary fitness) our respective situations. We need to be able to differentiate a palm tree from a tiger, but we have no need to know the reality of either. What we "see" is not the reality of the thing, it's only a highly simplified avatar, like the browser icon on your computer desktop. That icon isn't the program, which is complex, it is merely a simplified representation that allows us to interact with the program in a particular framework of use.

Since we do not see reality but only very simplified representations of it, we can be "fooled" when perceiving something outside the context of evolutionary fitness. And we are only fooled because we mistake the simplified avatar we perceive for the reality of the thing, itself. Therefore, what we call "magic" is not a disconnection from reality, because we never were connected to reality. "Magic" is simply a small part of reality that we are not equipped to perceive. It only looks impossible because we're "seeing" in stick figures compared to the full richness of actuality.
Magic is set in the context of reality. Magic is only strange in relation to the real world which we know. Magic would not be strange in a world of dreams. The beliefs of the psychotic may well be a goldmine of ideas for magic because the psychotic believe strange things that do not exist in reality. The psychotic lives in a world of dreams and if magic is the world of dreams then we conjure it up with a wonderful science. Psychotics are well known for conjuring up ghosts in their head, which read their mind and tell them what to do and what not to do. Behold the very image of the psychotic:
http://drama2014.furman.edu/impimages.html
What's in it for you if it is psychotic? If it helps you get through the day sure it is. Now what?
Let us suppose that ideas for magic effects are or can be based on psychotic beliefs and let us also suppose that one is interested in creating magic. Let us suggest then that we look for psychotic beliefs: as Erdnase did when he came up with his idea for his Divining Rod trick and so on. Or we can get our rods out and go fishing if you like - for me, there is fish in the river. :)
You can suppose anything you want if you have to to get through the day.
I suppose to get through the day that you can stutter to to.
The rather obvious relationship between the psychotic and magic can be seen in the cognitive science called “neuro-magic” which is essentially the study of magic tricks in an effort to understand the thinking process of the psychotic.
Psychopathy: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3811089/ when you understand all aspects of the word, it hardly can be associated with magic.
This world can hardly be associated with magic or vice versa because magic is out of this world and that is why it can be associated with those away with the fairies in a world of dreams.
No.
[quote]On Mar 11, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
No. [/quote]

...but I'm beginning to suspect that Tommy may be.

:bg:
The difference between the Psychotic and the Magician is that the Magician can prove his invisible friend exists.
What is the difference between patter and delusional talk?

If we were to reward magicians with tokens to stop acting nuts would they adjust?
Tommy, are you OK?
If you are not a crazy weirdo who believes in fairies, you will not go far in the magic world.
I have my answer.
Look who's talking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y51FTRkS6JE
That's funny. So I won't worry. :)
We all seek to change reality to our favor, so I do not see performing magic (layers of deception and lies) as being *too* psychotic. It is as psychotic as dating or marketing. Okay, maybe pretending to be a magical is quite psychotic.
How do I come up with my material? Well, I get a daily visitation from Christ, who is neon and glittery, he transcribes jokes for me which I then jot down in menstrual blood.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/16/successful-comedians-display-symptoms-psychosis-study-says
The most normal thing about magic is that it is amazing.
We are all a little mentally unstable.

That's why the world is as crazy as it is.

Plain and simple.