(Close Window)
Topic: My Mirage Wallet is defective
Message: Posted by: PRmagic (Jul 19, 2002 01:33PM)
Any own a Mirage Wallet that can give me advice. I believe the gimmick is damaged because it goes kinda slow. if you have one you know what I mean. PM me or contact me somehow if you have any suggestions.
Message: Posted by: JimMaloney (Jul 19, 2002 01:57PM)
Forgive me for being a bit skeptical, but don't you think you should work with it for a little while before determining that it's defective? That is, of course, assuming you actually have it, which seems kind of doubtful to me considering you just posted eight hours ago over at Genii that you didn't know if you wanted to get the Mirage or the Slim Fire Wallet. Now, it's certainly conceiveable that you could have purchased one since then, which is why I'm giving you the benfit of the doubt. Experiment with the wallet for at least a week before making any kind of conclusions on it.

-Jim
Message: Posted by: Gary Alford (Jul 19, 2002 02:12PM)
Finger replacement is 100% critical with this. I played around with it for a while and got a 90% success rate but was not happy. I sold it on and stick with the much better card in envelope by Roger Curzon. Lower tech but infinitely better and 100% reliable.
Message: Posted by: jecar (Jul 19, 2002 02:15PM)
[quote]
On 2002-07-19 14:57, JimMaloney wrote:
Forgive me for being a bit skeptical, but don't you think you should work with it for a little while before determining that it's defective? That is, of course, assuming you actually have it, which seems kind of doubtful to me considering you just posted eight hours ago over at Genii that you didn't know if you wanted to get the Mirage or the Slim Fire Wallet. Now, it's certainly conceiveable that you could have purchased one since then, which is why I'm giving you the benfit of the doubt. Experiment with the wallet for at least a week before making any kind of conclusions on it.

-Jim
[/quote]

Where is this Genii that he posted in and is it a forum?

Jerry
..
Message: Posted by: JimMaloney (Jul 19, 2002 02:16PM)
[quote]
On 2002-07-19 15:15, jecar wrote:
Where is this Genii that he posted in and is it a forum?

Jerry
..
[/quote]

It's the online forum for Genii Magazine: http://www.geniimagazine.com.

-Jim
Message: Posted by: PRmagic (Jul 19, 2002 03:56PM)
actually jim maloney f.y.i....i went to the magic store during lunnch and bought the mirage wallet. but youre right though i played with it for a little while and it works ok i jus gotta get used it. Even though the gimmicked pocket ripped on the side but thank heaven for rubber cement. no but really though i reccomend this trick for anyone although the gimmick is a little delicate. I did it to a co worker and he pretty impressed.
Message: Posted by: John Macmillan (Jul 19, 2002 04:51PM)
[quote]
On 2002-07-19 15:12, Gary Alford wrote:
Finger replacement is 100% critical with this. I played around with it for a while and got a 90% success rate but was not happy. I sold it on and stick with the much better card in envelope by Roger Curzon. Lower tech but infinitely better and 100% reliable.
[/quote]

Can you please provide a reference for the Curzon card in envelope?

Thanks
Message: Posted by: Paul (Jul 20, 2002 12:36AM)
re;
Even though the gimmicked pocket ripped on the side but thank heaven for rubber cement.

I think I'd have taken it back if that happened on just buying it!

John, "The Curzon Card in Envelope" is available from Magick Enterprises in Sheffield, England.It's good.

Paul.
Message: Posted by: Gary (Jul 20, 2002 08:02AM)
While the effect is certainly visual, I personally find it is hit and miss when it comes to operation. It does work when you get it loosened up so to speak, but as it's not fully reliable, I can't trust it will work every time, so tend not to use it. There are better alternative wallets around.
Message: Posted by: gilbreath76 (Jul 20, 2002 02:02PM)
[quote]
On 2002-07-19 16:56, PRmagic wrote:
actually jim maloney f.y.i....i went to the magic store during lunnch and bought the mirage wallet. but youre right though i played with it for a little while and it works ok i jus gotta get used it. Even though the gimmicked pocket ripped on the side but thank heaven for rubber cement. no but really though i reccomend this trick for anyone although the gimmick is a little delicate. I did it to a co worker and he pretty impressed.
[/quote]

You barely got it at lunch and found it ripped on one side. But you seem to be ok with that, and so you used rubber cement. Kind of odd, I think 99 out of 100 people on this board would of returned the item. I think you're just fishing for information.
Message: Posted by: Jones (Jul 20, 2002 02:51PM)
Don't give up on this one due to reliability issues, it really is a case of finding the right technique. Try this...

First use a cut down card underneath the "card" - Much smoother.
Now...When the selection is in position, the clip is removed with the right hand and the left thumb holds things steady.
Then, as the right thumb takes over holding the card, both thumbs crease the wallet downwards (imagine breaking a biscuit) and straight back again.
If the left hand releases as the wallet is straightened, this leaves the pocket gaping wide open...Just release sharply and the card cannot stick.
From that position there is nothing for the card to snag onto because the pocket is wide open! You can even look right inside the pocket thanks to that cut down card in there.

Hope that description is adequate, if you can get that pocket open and release the card sharply, I can't see how you can fail. I haven't failed since I started using that technique.

I hate to think of any Mirage Wallet lying in a "Why Did I Buy This" drawer as it's an all time favorite of mine.

Ian Jones.
Message: Posted by: Gary (Jul 21, 2002 08:06AM)
Thanks for the advice Ian. It's certainly worth a shot!

Cheers.
Message: Posted by: PRmagic (Jul 22, 2002 08:51AM)
thanks for the tip Jones. And for all the people that think im didnt even buy a mirage wallet and just "fishing" for information then !@#$^&*!!! i dont want to say anything because that would be disrepectful to the forum and the reason i didnt take it back to the store was because the guy already gave me a nice discount(alsmost 1/2 price) and i would feel bad exchanging the product after he was being generous besides its not that bad its as good as new now. Back to Jones tip i understand about the bendind the wallet part to make a nice pocket but whats a cutdown card AND how can you replace the "card" with a cutdown card? :angry: :confused:
Message: Posted by: Jones (Jul 22, 2002 02:53PM)
Don't replace the card, just place one underneath the gimmick. A full card won't fit so just keep shaving the ends until it slides into the pocket. Then cut pieces from the bottom edge until it can't be seen.
Hope that make sense.

Ian.
Message: Posted by: Gary (Jul 23, 2002 08:30AM)
Anyone come up with a better handling than what is published? The point where the wallet rests on the deck is not a good one and for that reason, I have only performed it away from tables in order to have a reason to rest the wallet on top of the cards even though its just for a few seconds.
Message: Posted by: Alan Munro (Jul 23, 2002 03:24PM)
I actually prefer the "Reverse Osmosis" pouch. It works on the same principle, works a little smoother, is cheaper and predates "Mirage Wallet".
Message: Posted by: Magi007 (Oct 13, 2002 09:40AM)
Purchased this as a curiosity, and it *does* have the potential to fool other magicians. As with much of JBTV, however, watching the video demo will ultimately reveal the method. Decide for yourself if this is really worth $40. Personally, I suggest sticking with no-gimmick methods for non-magician (i.e., REAL) audiences.
Message: Posted by: Alan Munro (Oct 13, 2002 10:02AM)
[quote]
On 2002-10-13 10:40, Magi007 wrote:
Personally, I suggest sticking with no-gimmick methods for non-magician (i.e., REAL) audiences.
[/quote]
Non-gimmicked isn't necessarily better. I use a Jerry O'Connell wallet and get great results with it.
Message: Posted by: Magi007 (Oct 13, 2002 10:41AM)
I agree. Several killer routines are only possible with gaffed wallets. However, when working a typical close-up crowd (i.e., one that isn't distanced like a convention contest audience), it *can* be a bit artificial to remove the card yourself. In addition, the look on a spectator's face as he/she removes the card is absolutely priceless! Just an opinion...
Message: Posted by: Kard16 (Oct 14, 2002 08:49PM)
Hmmm, I have the exact same problem with my wallet. Luckily, I bought Black Envelope, and though it seems to be a similar principle, very different in their own way, I highly suggest that.
Message: Posted by: Mickey Cohen (Jan 12, 2003 09:20AM)
My Mirage wallet fell apart after using it also .Just a case of poor quality me thinks.
Message: Posted by: HK Cardman (Jan 12, 2003 11:19AM)
My wallet have the same problem!!!
Message: Posted by: Gary (Jan 15, 2003 03:33AM)
Followed Alans comment and managed to get my hands on "Reverse Osmosis" which is still stocked (limited supply) by RAR Magic in the UK. Predates the Mirage Wallet and it's very nice indeed.
Message: Posted by: Marvelous (Jan 16, 2003 11:47PM)
The Mirage Wallet is okay but the best wallet on the market in my opinion is John Cornelius' Instant Pro. It does use Duo Tech 2 gimmick but in a much more clever way. I've had mine for a while now and perform it every chance I get and it's as good as new.
Message: Posted by: Review King (May 31, 2003 10:42PM)
Mirage is clever. But, it's hit or miss and you ahve to use cards that match the gimmick. The mullics wallet can be used with borrowed cards and there is no palming. Very deceptive!!
Message: Posted by: Doomo (Jun 1, 2003 07:55AM)
my Mirage Wallet is defective.... LOL

ALL Mirage wallets are defective... They are crap! And rip offs of the Osmosis at that... And wallet that requires a paperclip and a bizarre cover story to work is silly.. And it is a VERY cheaply made wallet!
Message: Posted by: Paris (Jun 2, 2003 06:42AM)
I to have mixed feeling about it. I played around with it for a while. Sometimes it did not deploy right. I have been caught more than once. I back to using my BMK . Only down side is its size. Cannot only use with my jacket on.
Message: Posted by: p.b.jones (Jun 2, 2003 10:08AM)
Hi,
In my opinion the fault/weakness of all of these retention of vision switch wallets is that usualy the switch takes place at the wrong time..... when the card is being removed from the wallet to show the climax
Try changing the moment.. Perhaps a double lift placing a blank card under their palm. removing your prediction from the wallet to show it matches then bang it is the selection and their card has turned black.
I am not saying to do this exactly but it does move the switch of the card to an offbeat moment and you can get the wallet out of play.
Phillip
Message: Posted by: wulfiesmith (Jun 26, 2003 03:01PM)
good point Phillip,
if you like retention of vision effects, go for "Special Delivery" by David Regal.
A cleaner effect you will find hard to come by.
The spectators marked card is taken from a window envelope in full view...how strange.
Also available in a leather wallet version called "Switchback Wallet".

Wulfie
Message: Posted by: Frog Prince (Sep 2, 2004 01:59AM)
It's strange..
I never had a problem with Mirage Wallet.

I think there are two tips.

1, Before you pull the chosen card, open the pocket with left thumb.
2, Your left hand shouldn't hold near the pocket.

This wallet can use a "Black Envelope Method".
In my opinion, Mirage Wallet is even cleaner than Black Envelope.

If your gimmick doesn't have enough power to work, you can replace it also. Just peel the leather, and replace the gimmick, and glue them again.

Good luck.
Message: Posted by: Review King (Sep 2, 2004 05:42AM)
It's a great concept, but they never improved it. It takes awhile before you can perform it without missing.
Message: Posted by: MagicCarisio (Sep 2, 2004 08:52PM)
I purchased mine a few years ago and had a worse problem...it actually got stuck, instead of the gimmick springing up! I returned it and got my money back!
Gerard
Message: Posted by: sileeni uk (Sep 5, 2004 07:50PM)
Look guys,, mirage wallet is a great principle, it is actually made for people who are unable to palm a card. an belive me there are a lot of them out there (and iv seen them all before "yes I can palm a card look" and I cringe and shiver at the gaping gaps and unnatural look" ouchy. ) anyway just to tell you guys that the wallet was made and released for the soul purpose.: to help out the guys who want to do a card to wallet routine, but cant (mainly because they are clever enough to realise they really cant palm cards to a good standard). so if you can palm a card then yes there are better methods /wallets out there that are recommended. however those of you that say they stick here are a copule of tips.
1.break in your wallet .. bend it , and eventually it will soften.
2.peel back the pocket, that the card fires into as you take of the clip. ,
3.your left hand should be as far away from the card as possible.
4.tap the deck and pick up the card from undernieth as you say , "can you hold on to this for me"
5.delay the revelation, do not say your card is in my wallet, because this way they look a lot more closely at the wallet as your taking it out, merely say , I have another card in my wallet that I keep safe. put the wallet away ,, and then reveal, the wallet is safely back in your pocket , and they have nothing to find,..
lovely. mirage rules all yeh!!!! just give the dam thing a chance lads for god sake.
Message: Posted by: Review King (Sep 19, 2004 09:57PM)
[quote]
On 2004-09-05 20:50, sileeni uk wrote:
Look guys,, mirage wallet is a great principle, it is actually made for people who are unable to palm a card. an belive me there are a lot of them out there (and iv seen them all before "yes I can palm a card look" and I cringe and shiver at the gaping gaps and unnatural look" ouchy. ) anyway just to tell you guys that the wallet was made and released for the soul purpose.: to help out the guys who want to do a card to wallet routine, but cant (mainly because they are clever enough to realise they really cant palm cards to a good standard). so if you can palm a card then yes there are better methods /wallets out there that are recommended. however those of you that say they stick here are a copule of tips.
1.break in your wallet .. bend it , and eventually it will soften.
2.peel back the pocket, that the card fires into as you take of the clip. ,
3.your left hand should be as far away from the card as possible.
4.tap the deck and pick up the card from undernieth as you say , "can you hold on to this for me"
5.delay the revelation, do not say your card is in my wallet, because this way they look a lot more closely at the wallet as your taking it out, merely say , I have another card in my wallet that I keep safe. put the wallet away ,, and then reveal, the wallet is safely back in your pocket , and they have nothing to find,..
lovely. mirage rules all yeh!!!! just give the dam thing a chance lads for god sake.
[/quote]

GReat tips for those that would like to try this wallet out!!!

Mark Mason says "lads". Do you work for him?
Message: Posted by: music (Sep 20, 2004 05:45PM)
I had a problem with my Mirage wallet, and I placed a thin plastic card inside the wallet proper in alignment with the gimmick, and it has worked 100% of the time since !
Message: Posted by: Review King (Sep 20, 2004 06:18PM)
Music, another great tip!!
Message: Posted by: tdowell (Sep 20, 2004 09:02PM)
Just get a Forbes Wallet or Barry Price Wallet. That will solve all the problems. :)
Message: Posted by: Review King (Sep 21, 2004 09:44PM)
[quote]
On 2004-09-20 22:02, tdowell wrote:
Just get a Forbes Wallet or Barry Price Wallet. That will solve all the problems. :)
[/quote]

Those wallets are good when you're doing a show. If you tabel hop or do walk around, you need soemthing different.
Message: Posted by: tdowell (Sep 21, 2004 11:55PM)
[quote]
On 2004-09-21 22:44, MagicChris wrote:

Those wallets are good when you're doing a show. If you tabel hop or do walk around, you need soemthing different.
[/quote]

My statement about buying a $400 wallet was meant to refer to fixing the mechanical problem with his deck. Its a joke Chris.
Message: Posted by: Review King (Sep 22, 2004 01:56PM)
[quote]
On 2004-09-22 00:55, tdowell wrote:
[quote]
On 2004-09-21 22:44, MagicChris wrote:

Those wallets are good when you're doing a show. If you tabel hop or do walk around, you need soemthing different.
[/quote]

I missed it-sorry. It's funny. I should have picked up on it.

My statement about buying a $400 wallet was meant to refer to fixing the mechanical problem with his deck. Its a joke Chris.
[/quote]